PDA

View Full Version : If the lions want Harvey, they have to trade up

Bootland27
04-21-2008, 06:21 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/04/to_get_harvey_lions_must_trade.html

Looks like Carolina is zeroing in on him, so its basically down to Mendenhall, Stewart or Mayo.

ESimsfan87
04-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Get ready to put on the mayo....

I still don't really think the Bears are going to pass up Mendenhall.
They've wined and dined up a lot from what I've heard and while Stewart is a RB god, it would probably be a PR nightmare from fans who have never seen him play because after all we just released KJ- who was injured himself.

asmitty45
04-21-2008, 07:32 PM
I'll be happy with either mendenhall or mayo, I think Chicago will probably take mendenhall but i think there is still a very good chance they go OLine though.

I'm very much on the Mayo bandwagon though.

Brothgar
04-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Get ready to put on the mayo....

I still don't really think the Bears are going to pass up Mendenhall.
They've wined and dined up a lot from what I've heard and while Stewart is a RB god, it would probably be a PR nightmare from fans who have never seen him play because after all we just released KJ- who was injured himself.

Well there is always an OLman. I highly doubt that Mendenhall, Harvey, and all top 5 OLmen will all be gone

SINCE1978
04-21-2008, 09:59 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/04/to_get_harvey_lions_must_trade.html

Looks like Carolina is zeroing in on him, so its basically down to Mendenhall, Stewart or Mayo.

After hearing "dapper" Dan Miller interview Millen on 97.1 the ticket tonight MM really perked up when asked about the LB position for the draft. He downplayed RB, DE & OT and even went as far as saying he thinks J. Scott is the RT of the future ... ugh? But about Mayo with #15 ... it's a solid fit, he would be a beast in the middle and I think he has gained a lot of momentum in the past week. My question is what happened to the Dan Connor hype? This kid is a stud & All American, from linebacker U no less and he is now #3 LB on most boards (rivers, mayo, connor/lofton). I would not be at all surprised if the lions went LB with #15 and as a wildcard think it might be Connor. What do you fellas think?;o)

Besides MM is a PSU slappy ... that's not a shot, I love the Big 10.

Brothgar
04-21-2008, 10:06 PM
After hearing "dapper" Dan Miller interview Millen on 97.1 the ticket tonight MM really perked up when asked about the LB position for the draft. He downplayed RB, DE & OT and even went as far as saying he thinks J. Scott is the RT of the future ... ugh? But about Mayo with #15 ... it's a solid fit, he would be a beast in the middle and I think he has gained a lot of momentum in the past week. My question is what happened to the Dan Connor hype? This kid is a stud & All American, from linebacker U no less and he is now #3 LB on most boards (rivers, mayo, connor/lofton). I would not be at all surprised if the lions went LB with #15 and as a wildcard think it might be Connor. What do you fellas think?;o)

Besides MM is a PSU slappy ... that's not a shot, I love the Big 10.

Rule 1 of the draft don't believe anyting a GM says within 1 week of the draft.

SINCE1978
04-21-2008, 10:26 PM
I'll be happy with either mendenhall or mayo, I think Chicago will probably take mendenhall but i think there is still a very good chance they go OLine though.

I'm very much on the Mayo bandwagon though.

They will pick up an OT but not at #15. If Long, Clady, Albert & Williams are all gone (Harvey too) it makes sense to take Mayo or Connor the #1a #1b (my opinion) MLB's in the draft rather than settling for a #5 or #6 rated guy at that position like Otah or Cherilus.

RB will be round 2 or 3 (Smith, Rice, Forte & Choice all would look good in honolulu blue & silver!)

Here's how I see it ...
#1 J. Mayo - UT/MLB(or D. Connor)
#2 T. Laws - ND/DT
#3a K. Smith -UCF/RB
#3b D. Brown - VaTech/OT
#4 B. Davis - UCLA/OLB
#5 C. Jackson - LSU/CB
#6 J. Haynos - Maryland/TE
#7 B. Coutu - Ga/K

What do you guys think?

wingboy2999
04-21-2008, 10:36 PM
I swear if Dan Connor gets drafted over Mayo... I'm burning this mother down.

And I'll find Tactica... oh will I find him...

detroit4life
04-21-2008, 10:41 PM
im starting to think it'll be Mayo unless Harvey is there

SINCE1978
04-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Rule 1 of the draft don't believe anyting a GM says within 1 week of the draft.

Did you see freep.com had an article this morning about the Lions trading up for Matty Ryan?? Smokescreen ....

WMD
04-22-2008, 10:11 AM
I swear if Dan Connor gets drafted over Mayo... I'm burning this mother down.

And I'll find Tactica... oh will I find him...

You and me both, sista! No white boys in Round 1!

woodnick
04-22-2008, 10:43 AM
I may be nuts, but I'd rather have a draft of Chris Williams or Mendenhall in Rd. 1 and Connors in rd 2 than a Mayo-1 Baker-2.

I guess, what I'm trying to say is that IMO the difference between Mayo and Connor is less in my mind between the difference between Mendenhall and a 2nd rd. RB or Williams/Otah and a 2nd rd. OT. Now Connors might not drop to us at 45 but I'd love to move up slightly to get him.

wingboy2999
04-22-2008, 10:53 AM
You and me both, sista! No white boys in Round 1!

*shakes head for 5 minutes straight*

*falls over due to dizziness*

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Does anyone think Mayo will last until 30.

If Harvey,Clady,Chris Williams are off the board, I wouldnt mind a trade down with Green Bay(who would get a very good corner at 15)

Pick 15 (1,050) for Pick 30, Pick 60 and Pick 91 (1,056).

2 Round 2s and 3 Round 3s could fill a lot of holes or allow us to move up into the early 2nd to get a player we are targetting.

wingboy2999
04-22-2008, 01:57 PM

If Harvey,Clady,Chris Williams are off the board, I wouldnt mind a trade down with Green Bay(who would get a very good corner at 15)

2 Round 2s and 3 Round 3s could fill a lot of holes or allow us to move up into the early 2nd to get a player we are targetting.

With the buzz around Mayo.... it must have gone bad.

BAH HAHAHAHAHA. Get it!!! The mayo is spoiled. Because it is a perishable product.

Ok, seriously, I don't think he is going to last until 30. His stock is going through the roof. I'd be more comfortable if he was... but I don't know. If we could trade down and get our guy lower then 15... woohoo.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Just thinking on who would want Mayo after us.

Vikings probably not or KC(not with DJ and Donnie Edwards)
Zona(moving to a 3-4?, Dansby issues, lost Pace, maybe)
Houston(DeMeco, need a RB)
Bucs(no Brooks,June, need WR)
Eagles(need Wr, don't value LB early,maybe)
Titans(maybe but need weapons for Vince more)
Redksins(need WR, have Marcus Washington and Rocky McIntosh)
Seahawks(Peterson,Hill, no)
Jax(maybe, Daryl Smith,Peterson and ?)
Cowboys(3-4, not with Ellis and Ware, ILB in 3-4 for Mayo?
San Diego(3-4, ILB for Mayo not likely)
Steelers(no with Woodley/Timmons)

No definites but some maybes like Jax and Philly Zona. Would be risky, depends how he fits thier scheme.

wingboy2999
04-22-2008, 02:13 PM
He could fall... but is the risk worth it? We'd have to make sure. I do not want Dan "Tactica <3's Me" Connor.

WMD
04-22-2008, 02:15 PM
With the buzz around Mayo.... it must have gone bad.

BAH HAHAHAHAHA. Get it!!! The mayo is spoiled. Because it is a perishable product.

Your jokes are almost as good as Tactica's.

wingboy2999
04-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Your jokes are almost as good as Tactica's.

Oh I hate you soooooooooo much.

Does he make jokes? I don't pay much attention.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-22-2008, 02:24 PM
He could fall... but is the risk worth it? We'd have to make sure. I do not want Dan "Tactica <3's Me" Connor.

We would need a backup plan at pick 30. I don't think there is a good one if we don't get Mayo so it might not be worth the risk.

wingboy2999
04-22-2008, 02:26 PM
We would need a backup plan at pick 30. I don't think there is a good one if we don't get Mayo so it might not be worth the risk.

If Connor is there, he would be a good pick value wise. I just HATE Penn State. Oh how I hate them.

Scotty D
04-22-2008, 02:26 PM
If Carolina takes Harvey it probably means an OT will fall to us. I'd have to look more into it but I think that would be the case.

wingboy2999
04-22-2008, 02:29 PM
If Carolina takes Harvey it probably means an OT will fall to us. I'd have to look more into it but I think that would be the case.

Or Mendenhall-Mania could commence.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-22-2008, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE=wingboy2999;1026183]If Connor is there, he would be a good pick value wise. I just HATE Penn State. Oh how I hate them.[/QUOTE

Haha. LOL. I went to Penn State there Wingy . Michigan owns Penn State so I have no room to talk, but PSU is a great school with a great tradition. Wouldn't have wanted to go anywhere else despite them sucking 3 out 4 years when I was there(except for Larry Johnsons senior year which was amazing). One of those traditions being great LBs. I don't like Connor in a Cover 2 though so I agree on not wanting Connor.

Scotty D
04-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Or Mendenhall-Mania could commence.

Mayo or Mendenhall. The great debate. I wonder who they would take. History points to Mendenhall, but I don't know.

wingboy2999
04-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Haha. LOL. I went to Penn State there Wingy . Michigan owns Penn State so I have no room to talk, but PSU is a great school with a great tradition. Wouldn't have wanted to go anywhere else despite them sucking 3 out 4 years when I was there(except for Larry Johnsons senior year which was amazing). One of those traditions being great LBs. I don't like Connor in a Cover 2 though so I agree on not wanting Connor.

I grew up a U of M fan outside of Philly so ALL my friends were PSU fans. I've always been in "enemy territory" sports wise. And now I got to Pitt. So... poo on you. I got the double hate for PSU.

WMD
04-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Mayo or Mendenhall. The great debate. I wonder who they would take. History points to Mendenhall, but I don't know.

I bet they'd take Mayo. RB is deep in this draft, plus I remember reading somewhere that the Lions have Jonathan Stewart rated higher than Mendenhall.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-22-2008, 02:42 PM
I grew up a U of M fan outside of Philly so ALL my friends were PSU fans. I've always been in "enemy territory" sports wise. And now I got to Pitt. So... poo on you. I got the double hate for PSU.

Yeah its always tough to be out of market. I live in Illinois now so its all about the Bears. Being a Lions fan anywhere is tough though. Pitt is irrelevant in football now, but U of M has PSUs number the last 8 or 9 years so I can't talk, despite our outlier 2005 Big 10 title.

PSU is in trouble this year. Losing Sean Lee to an ACL injury and Justin King leaving early just crushes the best part of our team.

TacticaLion
04-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Oh I hate you soooooooooo much.

Does he make jokes? I don't pay much attention.

HA! I try not to make jokes, but, hey, **** happens.

And, I only ever said that I want the best MLB in the draft. At the time, it happened to be Connor... but I just want a stud at the position.

And, to be honest, I actually liked the Mayo-buzz joke. Laughed.

wingboy2999
04-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Yeah its always tough to be out of market. I live in Illinois now so its all about the Bears. Being a Lions fan anywhere is tough though. Pitt is irrelevant in football now, but U of M has PSUs number the last 8 or 9 years so I can't talk, despite our outlier 2005 Big 10 title.

PSU is in trouble this year. Losing Sean Lee to an ACL injury and Justin King leaving early just crushes the best part of our team.

Pitt is on our way back baby! Best recruit class in the Big East. And I would have gone 1-Whatever just for that upset of WVU on thier field, spoiling thier national championship quest.

Ok, I'd like to win more then 1 but man... it was fun burning stuff.

wingboy2999
04-22-2008, 03:53 PM
And, to be honest, I actually liked the Mayo-buzz joke. Laughed.

Damn right. I never intended when I began posting but as I was typing the sentence it just clicked in my brain. If the oppurtunity is there for a joke... my brain makes me take it.

woodnick
04-22-2008, 04:21 PM

Green Bay and Ted Thompson trading up to 15 would be the biggest story of the draft, ie it wont happen. In Thompson's 5 yrs running drafts he's never traded up.

woodnick
04-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Mike Rucker has officially retired, so it looks more likely that Carolina will look to Harvey:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3358430

wingboy2999
04-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Mike Rucker has officially retired, so it looks more likely that Carolina will look to Harvey:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3358430

Well, damn it.

Scotty D
04-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Nah, Carolina took Charles Johnson last year, and signed Tyler Brayton this year. And they still have that Peppers guy. Its definitely not a lock.

woodnick
04-22-2008, 06:18 PM
Johnson's a 3rd rd gy, Brayton's a bust, and Peppers is a free agent after this year so I would say that its gotta be an option for them, especially if they think that Peppers is gonna be too expensive after the franchise tag. Personally I think Carolina is better off going OT than Harvey, but I just dont like Harvey very much.

wingboy2999
04-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Any reason you don't like Harvey?

woodnick
04-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Yeah, he sucks. No, J/K I just dont think he's gonna be a good pass rusher, I see a lot of Kalimba Edwards in him and other than owning Alex Boone I just haven't liked what I've seen from him. I think there are better options for us and comparable DEs that can be had in the 2nd or 3rd. I could be very wrong about him, but time will tell. That being said I think he has a chance to succeed on a team like the Vikes or Houston where the blocking schemes will be shifted heavily away from him giving him favorable one on ones, which he wont get in Detroit.