PDA

View Full Version : Jake Long #1

woodnick
04-22-2008, 12:28 PM
It's official, Miami has agrred to terms with Jake Long and will select him #1:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3358424

So what does everybody think?

I know that there's been much speculation of whether Jake will be a RT or LT and ther will be much more talks about it now that he's going to a team that has Vernon Carey who player LT very well last yr.

Personally, from my standpoint I think that even if Jake plays RT and Vernon plays LT, if they form one of the best OT duos in the league and can both hold the edge in Pass pro. and knock people off the line in the run game, then he'll be worth the #1 pick as a RT. Now that might sound crazy, and I'm sure Miami will open up the competition between the two to put them at their best positions, but if you can create a dominant o-line than you can control the game and give yourself a chance to win week in and week out, assuming your D will be at least ok.

I think OT was Parcells' achiles heal in Dallas, so kudos for him for establishing that position in Miami. Bill has done a pretty decent job at finding late round D through the draft and he's probably counting on it again. If Ronnie can stay healthy and Ricky can stay clean, than watch out.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-22-2008, 12:45 PM
I think I wish this would have happened last year with the number 1 going way before the draft. More time to work out a deal for a trade in the number 2 slot instead of just drafting Calvin after Oakland finally made up their mind. Calvin is hopefully going to be great and the past is the past.

St. Louis has an interesting scenario with Chris Long and Dorsey.

WMD
04-22-2008, 01:16 PM
I still like Vernon Gholston to the Rams, unless they trade out.

woodnick
04-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Chris Long makes the most sense, IMO, and then they can keep Carriker inside as compared to dorsey. It seems like a lot of the info coming out now have St.louis going away from Gohlston, but it could be smoke.

wingboy2999
04-22-2008, 05:23 PM
StL may still trade down with NO if the trade is good.

asmitty45
04-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Should be Chris Long, but I can see Glen Dorsey, I think its between those two.

Scotty D
04-22-2008, 06:04 PM
St. Louis isn't that bad. They have some nice pieces. They aren't the second worst team in football. Adding a guy like Chris Long almost isn't fair.

woodnick
04-22-2008, 06:20 PM
St. Louis isn't that bad. They have some nice pieces. They aren't the second worst team in football. Adding a guy like Chris Long almost isn't fair.

I agree, if there weren't any injuries last year the Rams would be drafting after us, IMO.

wingboy2999
04-22-2008, 06:58 PM
I agree, if there weren't any injuries last year the Rams would be drafting after us, IMO.

One of those injuries was Orlando Pace. Too bad they didn't get Jake Long.

woodnick
04-22-2008, 07:04 PM
One of those injuries was Orlando Pace. Too bad they didn't get Jake Long.

One injury was S-Jax so they can still get D-Mac