PDA

View Full Version : Division just got a little tougher

woodnick
04-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Chiefs traded Allen to Minny tonight, according to NFL.com, just waiting to get a site and details, but with Backus at LT we're f***ed

detroit4life
04-22-2008, 09:56 PM
why wouldnt we go after him?

woodnick
04-22-2008, 10:00 PM
I would have loved to, but I guess the argument against him was that we couldnt get his salary under the cap

woodnick
04-22-2008, 10:04 PM
Now that I'm thinking about it, I bet the real hold up on it before was wether or not a DE would fall to them and now that Miami went Jake Long then the chance of Gholston or Chris long being there at 5 is a lot better, especially if St. Louis goes Dorsey which KC must believe will happen.

woodnick
04-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Here's the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3362701

terms still haven't been announced yet,

woodnick
04-22-2008, 10:33 PM
alright, the compensation is #17 and both of Minny's 3rds.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d807eb389&template=with-video&confirm=true

Puts his value at #9 overall. My bet is that KC will go Long/Gholston at 5 and Otah at 17

Scotty D
04-22-2008, 11:26 PM
alright, the compensation is #17 and both of Minny's 3rds.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d807eb389&template=with-video&confirm=true

Puts his value at #9 overall. My bet is that KC will go Long/Gholston at 5 and Otah at 17

I actually think theres a good change Oakland goes DE. Wildcard then is if STL takes Dorsey. I think KC may even be able to find a trade down suitor at 5. That would be crazy if they were able to pick up another second rounder.

asmitty45
04-22-2008, 11:34 PM
Wow a first and 2 thirds? that seems a little steep to me, but i guess when they have been trying to get a pass rusher forever Udeze, Erasmus James etc.. this move makes sense.

WMD
04-23-2008, 03:27 AM
I think getting #17 will allow the Chiefs to draft Matt Ryan at #5 and then possibly go OL with the second pick. They have three Round 3 picks, so they might even wait for OL until later.. but I definitely think Matt Ryan will go #5 to the Chiefs.

And yes, Jared Allen will completely dominate Jeff Backus.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Yeah I'm thinking Matt Ryan too for KC.

Playing Minni in the MetroDome is going to be so tough now with that noise advantage. Giving Allen a step on Backus every play is just going to be a disaster. Ugghh.

SINCE1978
04-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Chiefs will make some noise in this draft for sure with all those picks.

As for the Vikings, wow ... an 8-8 team takes quite a gamble to give up most of their draft (3 picks in the top 82) for 1 player. Stealing a page from the defending champs by stacking the front of the D! IMO they have quite a few holes that could ahve been filled with those picks and were not a team that was 1 player away from a deep play-off run like maybe a Titans, Bucs or Jags team could pull off to offer a guy the highest defensive contract in NFL history and give up the farm for ... anyone agree?

katnip
04-23-2008, 11:59 AM
So you can draft another WR Charles Rogers or Mike Williams.

woodnick
04-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Chiefs will make some noise in this draft for sure with all those picks.

As for the Vikings, wow ... an 8-8 team takes quite a gamble to give up most of their draft (3 picks in the top 82) for 1 player. Stealing a page from the defending champs by stacking the front of the D! IMO they have quite a few holes that could ahve been filled with those picks and were not a team that was 1 player away from a deep play-off run like maybe a Titans, Bucs or Jags team could pull off to offer a guy the highest defensive contract in NFL history and give up the farm for ... anyone agree?

I gotta disagree with ya a little, I think it was quite a bit to give up, but they got an absolute beast and at 17 who were they gonna get? Maybe one of the top 5 Olinemen or Merling, this is a HUGE upgrade over who they would've gotten. Now they still have their 2nd, and I'll bet that will be the best Olineman on their board thats still available. Obviously everybody points to Minny needing a QB, but they like Jackson and seem to be sold on him. Allen will elevate their already very good D, so watch out for Minny. If AP stays healthy and Jackson can start to shrink his turnovers it's not out of the question for them to get 10 or 11 wins, w/ 2 of those beeing Detroit unfortunately.

katnip
04-23-2008, 12:09 PM
You guys are gonna need a LT imo.

wingboy2999
04-23-2008, 12:25 PM
I think getting #17 will allow the Chiefs to draft Matt Ryan at #5 and then possibly go OL with the second pick. They have three Round 3 picks, so they might even wait for OL until later.. but I definitely think Matt Ryan will go #5 to the Chiefs.

Oh like EXACTLY how I drafted for them in the assault on everyone's moms?

wingboy2999
04-23-2008, 12:26 PM
So you can draft another WR Charles Rogers or Mike Williams.

I don't even know what this means. It wasn't even trying to be funny either....

Brothgar
04-23-2008, 12:35 PM

And yes, Jared Allen will completely dominate Jeff Backus.

What about Vernon Gholston or Long (Which ever one falls) I think it would work.

WMD
04-23-2008, 02:26 PM
It's obviously a possibility.. but if they're anywhere near sold on Matt Ryan as a franchise QB, I think they should take him.

Brothgar
04-23-2008, 02:31 PM
It's obviously a possibility.. but if they're anywhere near sold on Matt Ryan as a franchise QB, I think they should take him.

Meh I'm not so sold that Ryan is so much better than the 2nd round guys.

Even if I thought Ryan was the best QB in this draft it'd be

Ryan

Henne

Where as at DE it is

Gholston/Long
Calalis Campbell

SINCE1978
04-23-2008, 03:11 PM
I gotta disagree with ya a little, I think it was quite a bit to give up, but they got an absolute beast and at 17 who were they gonna get? Maybe one of the top 5 Olinemen or Merling, this is a HUGE upgrade over who they would've gotten. Now they still have their 2nd, and I'll bet that will be the best Olineman on their board thats still available. Obviously everybody points to Minny needing a QB, but they like Jackson and seem to be sold on him. Allen will elevate their already very good D, so watch out for Minny. If AP stays healthy and Jackson can start to shrink his turnovers it's not out of the question for them to get 10 or 11 wins, w/ 2 of those beeing Detroit unfortunately.

Wow, 10 or 11 wins with Tavarus Jackson leading them ... that's a BOLD statement woodnick. For our Lions sake let's hope not ;o) But they only got 8 wins last year with Peterson breaking on to the scene doing what he did ... you don't think teams will stack 8 in the box and say throw it to beat us Jackson? Bottom line, the Vikings would probably have gotten 2 or 3 starters with the 3 picks they traded for Allen (3 of the top 82 unless Millen is drafting that usually = 3 starters) so worth is in the eye of the beholder and the Vikes like Allen a bunch!

Funny side note, he was a 4th round pick from Idaho State!? So that logic means Brian Johnson from Gardner Webb will be the next Jared Allen in hte league.

woodnick
04-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Wow, 10 or 11 wins with Tavarus Jackson leading them ... that's a BOLD statement woodnick. For our Lions sake let's hope not ;o) But they only got 8 wins last year with Peterson breaking on to the scene doing what he did ... you don't think teams will stack 8 in the box and say throw it to beat us Jackson? Bottom line, the Vikings would probably have gotten 2 or 3 starters with the 3 picks they traded for Allen (3 of the top 82 unless Millen is drafting that usually = 3 starters) so worth is in the eye of the beholder and the Vikes like Allen a bunch!

Funny side note, he was a 4th round pick from Idaho State!? So that logic means Brian Johnson from Gardner Webb will be the next Jared Allen in hte league.

YEah 10 or 11 wins is a bold statement, but I'm not an idiot like Kitna. Look at their pieces, they return everybody add the best pass rusher in the league which will dramatically improve their pass D and takeaways. They have an emerging star at RB, which people already annoint as a top 3 RB, they have a good Oline and a 2nd rd OT might make it great, and a young QB who flashes some great tools, not to mention that Rice is progressing nicely at WR and they just added Berrian to help. Their only loss this offseason was at S with Dwight Smith, but then they added Madieu Williams who just a couple of seasons ago was a top 5 S in the league.

Watch out, especially if there draft looks like 2nd) Anthony Collins or Carl Nicks; 4th) Geno Hayes; 5th) Dorien Bryant; 6th and 7th) Depth at interior O and D lines.

Not to mention that if Jackson is a liability they could still make a move for a broven vet like Sage or draft a Henne/Flacco/Brohm if they fall in the 2nd. Their team is very improved and should win the division, especially by Allen putting pressure on the QBs in our division.

For all the math majors in here: Allen vs. Backus = pressure on Kitna = easy interceptions + easy points for Minny, which + AP + dominate interior lines = Minny wins

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-23-2008, 04:21 PM
I think we should switch Backus at LT for a Keg of Allens favorite beer as our LT. That could stop him. Its his achilles heel.

Seriously though, Backus better have the game of his life at Ford Field against Allen. In Minny, we are screwed regardless so it doesn't matter.He gave up 2 sacks and Allen had pressure all day last year in the KC game. I would say run the ball but you can't run the ball on Minnesota.

woodnick
04-23-2008, 07:31 PM
dont forget that Allen also caught a TD against us last year also, just to show his dominance