PDA

View Full Version : Vikings acquire Jared Allen

djp
04-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Per NFL.com's Breaking News ticker...

Yes! Now the question is, what did we give up?

blackbelt3d
04-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Per NFL.com's Breaking News ticker...

Yes! Now the question is, what did we give up?
Hopefully not the farm.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it is just a 1st and 3rd.

Dr. Gonzo
04-22-2008, 09:57 PM
I am erect now. As long as the deal is done. He will improve our team immensly.

The Dynasty
04-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Im hoping for the Rumors earlier 1st and 3rd and next year 2nd but probably not.

Dr. Gonzo
04-22-2008, 09:59 PM
I Am Hearing A 1st And A 3rd. I Am So Happy!

blackbelt3d
04-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Well, on another board, another guy who claims to be connected posted that we (as Vikings fans) would be happy with the terms of the deal.

I don't know if he's legit, or how "happy" is defined, but take it for what it's worth.

blackbelt3d
04-22-2008, 10:22 PM
A first and two thirds is what I just heard.

I hope one of them is in 2009.

giver17
04-22-2008, 10:56 PM
YES! this is amazing! although we did give up a lot; 1st and both our 3rds, but this is going to make us a contender. I hope he does F*** up and get a suspention.

giver17
04-22-2008, 10:58 PM
and they were both our thirds from this year... crap, that is a high price

The Dynasty
04-22-2008, 10:58 PM
YES! this is amazing! although we did give up a lot; 1st and both our 3rds, but this is going to make us a contender. I hope he does F*** up and get a suspention.

I think u forgot the nt on Does Lol. If you didnt your sounding like a Packer fan Uh Oh! lol. Yeah Adam Schefter reporting 1st and Both our 3rds this year which Im happy and fine with.

giver17
04-22-2008, 11:03 PM
I think u forgot the nt on Does Lol. If you didnt your sounding like a Packer fan Uh Oh! lol. Yeah Adam Schefter reporting 1st and Both our 3rds this year which Im happy and fine with.

haha, good call. I definately mean doesn't

blackbelt3d
04-22-2008, 11:17 PM
From Pro Football Talk (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/22/vikes-break-the-bank-for-allen/#):

In addition to the three 2008 draft picks that the Minnesota Vikings (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/22/vikes-break-the-bank-for-allen/#) gave up in order to acquire the rights to defensive end Jared Allen, the Vikes have made defensive end Jared Allen the highest-paid defensive player in the NFL.
Per Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com, Allen will get a six-year, $74 million deal, with $31 million in guaranteed money.
Actually, the guarantee is $31,000,069. That’s right . . . “Wine ‘em, dine ‘em, 69 ‘em (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/17/allens-history-hampers-negotiations/).”
The deal surpasses the deal paid a year ago by the Colts to defensive end Dwight Freeney (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/22/vikes-break-the-bank-for-allen/#), with $30 million guaranteed on a six-year, $72 million contract.
The risk that the Vikings are taking is huge, given Allen’s history with the whole glug-glug, vroom-vroom thing. But it’s apparent that the Vikings have done plenty of homework, and are comfortable that Allen’s drinking days are behind him.

General Zod
04-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Yeah, Im gonna say it, I dont care,

Its the Walker trade all over again.

Vikings4ever
04-22-2008, 11:35 PM
I have to imagine a large portion of the guaranteed money will be in roster bonuses and the like, stuff that won't count against the salary cap if he craps out/boozes and gets cut.

Vikings4ever
04-22-2008, 11:36 PM

Huge difference.

In the Walker trade, the Vikes mortgaged the future for him (something like 3 first rounders and 3 2nd rounders).

Here, the Vikes mortgage less than 1 draft and a large contract.

aqua
04-23-2008, 01:23 AM
Apparently we get to swap 6th round picks with KC also.

DHVF
04-23-2008, 01:27 AM
Apparently we get to swap 6th round picks with KC also.lol...WOOHOO

vikes_28
04-23-2008, 08:19 AM
sweet jesus, that is a gigantic contract.

amesbear
04-23-2008, 08:29 AM
We gave up waaayyy more in the Walker deal. The contract for Allen really is pretty outlandish considering his background. Anyway, here are the details of the Walker trade.

Link (http://min.scout.com/2/11653.html)

SMoore
04-23-2008, 08:35 AM
this is definitely a great move, really solidifies the defense...i think we have to concentrate on getting a right tackle in the second round now and then getting some depth later

FuzzyGopher
04-23-2008, 09:24 AM
People said we way overpaid for Hutchinson a few years ago and called it a ridiculous contract. A few years later freaking Derrick Dockery got the exact same contract. The NFL is a mini economy and there is inflation. Just wait until next year when Suggs and Peppers get new deals. It may seem like a lot now but in a few years it will not seem as bad, plus we are just seeing the preliminary numbers now, who knows how much of that is fluff and how much is money likely to be earned.

D-Rod
04-23-2008, 09:48 AM
FuzzyGopher is actually right. Contracts everywhere are getting ridiculous. Allen's getting no more than Jake Long, and I'm fairly sure who'd win that contest.

The big issue is the drink, and the Vikings would be nuts not to build that into the contract. It's not difficult, it is simply necessary to ensure that they are clearly marked as roster bonuses rather than signing bonuses etc.

AtariBigby
04-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Congrats Viking fans. Your biggest weakness (aside from QB) has just turned into a strength! No draft gambles, guessing how a DE will translate from college to the NFL. You GOT your All-Pro right there, and he's young, has a high motor, etc. The 17th pick is often a gamble with DE's like Jarvis Moss, David Pollack, Erasmus James, etc... never know how they'll pan out, but you know what Jared Allen brings to the NFL field, and unfortunately so do I........

For my team's sake, at least you didn't get Tony Gonzalez from them too!

I predict Jared Allen and Aaron Kampman battle for the NFC sack title with Patrick Kerney and DeMarcus Ware...... but I just hope Kampman leads after week one :D

HERE's A GREAT PHOTO FOR YOU GUYS:
http://www.geocities.com/melkiper_cards/Allen_sacksculpepper.jpg

RollingMoss
04-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Just wanted to add to the school of thought that the contract won't be as big as it seems. They manipulate all that junk, clauses here and there, bonuses spread out for this and that. If we wanted to cut him in two years (hopefully we won't and he continues his path to dominance, I'm just saying though), I'm sure there'd be a clause in there that saves us from a big cap hit - like with Shaun Alexander. He just signed a rediculous contract a couple years ago, right? And now he's cut.

Crazy_Chris
04-23-2008, 03:38 PM
It will be worth it, I'm feeling a 20+ sack season for Jared Allen.

Some might think I'm nuts but it really isn't that far fetched of a thought. He had 15.5 sacks on the Chiefs next to a much worse pair of DTs. On the Vikings he will be next to 2 pro bowl DTs and he will be seeing a fair amount of 1 on 1's with the OTs. The next thing that would point to 20+ sacks is the absurd amount of times the Vikings get passed on due to the run defense opposing offense averaged 40 att per game against the Vikings D(compared to 29 per game for the Chiefs D).

So obviously barring Injury to him or one of the Williams wrecking crew, and if the run defense remains as dominant as it has been in the past two years I could see Jared possibly getting 20+ Sacks

RollingMoss
04-23-2008, 04:08 PM
It will be worth it, I'm feeling a 20+ sack season for Jared Allen.

Some might think I'm nuts but it really isn't that far fetched of a thought. He had 15.5 sacks on the Chiefs next to a much worse pair of DTs. On the Vikings he will be next to 2 pro bowl DTs and he will be seeing a fair amount of 1 on 1's with the OTs. The next thing that would point to 20+ sacks is the absurd amount of times the Vikings get passed on due to the run defense opposing offense averaged 40 att per game against the Vikings D(compared to 29 per game for the Chiefs D).

So obviously barring Injury to him or one of the Williams wrecking crew, and if the run defense remains as dominant as it has been in the past two years I could see Jared possibly getting 20+ Sacks

That's not a crazy thought. It's informed, thought-out, sensible, reasonable, and fact-based. Yeah, it's bat **** crazy to predict 20+ sacks for someone....but Christ, it makes sense in this case.

Hedge the bet, 18+.

crazyisme
04-23-2008, 04:43 PM

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/6026.jpg

Vikings4ever
04-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Jared Allen is due an $8 million roster bonus in 2010 per the six-year, $72.36 million contract he signed with the Vikings.
The bonus is guaranteed for injury only. It protects Minnesota in case Allen gets in trouble with the law again. Allen's signing bonus is $15.5 million. His base salaries are: $750,000 (2008), $7.75 million (2009), $6.38 million (2010), $8,979,438 (2011), $11,619,850 (2012), and $14,280,612 (2013).

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2837

HEISMANHERSCHEL
04-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Had to stop buy to see what yall had to say about this trade. Allen is pretty darn good. If he gets 15 sacks, you have to be happy with that. No one you could draft would make that much of an impact.

Does put a damper on draft day, though...

I didnt even think about how funny my sig was going to look untill I sent this. Considering how the walker trade was brought up, it seems appropriate for his picture to grace this topic.

Geo
04-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Some revealing (and good for the Vikes) info:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/04/23/snaps/index.html

The obvious question mark in regards to Allen, 26, are his two DUI convictions while in Kansas City, the second of which resulted in a four-game league suspension in 2007, which was subsequently reduced to two games by commissioner Roger Goodell. Much of the debate regarding the wisdom of Minnesota paying so high a price for Allen is sure to center on the question of whether he's only one more mistake away from incurring a mandatory year-long league suspension under the terms of the league's substance abuse policy?

One league source told SI.com on Wednesday that Allen's two strikes in the program get wiped off the books if he stays incident free through September, at which time his most recent DUI will be two years old. He would then be out from under the threat of a year-long league suspension if he incurred another DUI after September, the source said. But that scenario could not be confirmed by an NFL spokesman Wednesday, leaving it uncertain whether Allen is a high risk for a career-interrupting suspension.

Perhaps it will turn out that the Vikings are not taking quite the gamble on Allen that some might assume. Minnesota is said to be convinced the signs of maturity that Allen started showing in Kansas City in the past year-plus have taken root and he has become someone worth betting on. To that end, Minnesota did nothing out of the ordinary to protect itself in his new precedent-setting contract. There are only the standard clauses within the deal that would allow the team to recoup some of the money if Allen incurs a significant suspension or violates his contract in some way, but no extraordinary steps were taken to safeguard the organization.

JSimmsy21
04-24-2008, 11:39 AM
just had to say good job getting Allen. I'm sure JaMarcus and Jay are thanking you guys right now.

you guys gave up a lot for him, but, ultimately, its worth it. you filled one if not you biggest needs. and with him paired up next the Williams and Williams, he'll be just as if not better.

joercky
04-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Vikings fans I am not hating but just drawing parallels with recent history. Last year the 49ers went out and spent big money on free agents aka Micheal Lewis, Aubrayo Franklin, Nate Clements, Tully Banti-Cain. Like the Vikings they had reason for hope as they had a huge rusher in Frank Gore and had signed the afore mentioned free agents. BUT they had an unproven QB in Alex Smith and lacked a premier reciever, and had a ****** o-line. They went out gave up a 4th round pick for Darrell Jackson and traded a 2nd rounder for Joe Staley. They finished 4 and 12 and Jackson was released a year later. The Vikings paid premium money to a guy in Berrian who has never had a thousand yard recieving season not to mention it takes up a while to pick up the intricacies of a west coast offense, signed Madiu Williams, and most recently traded for Jared Allan. They need some more corners as there is little depth beyond starters Cedric Griffin and Antoine Winfield. Although they spent a 3rd rounder last year on Marcus McCauley he didn't have a single interception. At O-line they have no decent right tackle and Bryant McKinnie could be heading to prison. The Vikings also need a tight end sing Shiancoe can't seem to hold on to the football. Best bet: Draft Sam Baker 2nd round and pick up Terrell Thomas in the 4th.

BPhilb
04-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Hey all, I'm a lifelong Chiefs fan and I'm here to tell you that this is a deal that will benefit both teams. You guys are going to love JA as he never stops going and really is a great all around DE. Your DLine will be awesome and your tackles will really bring out the best in the guy (or vica versa). We are rebuilding now which is actually an exciting time for us and I hate to see us give up a great player, but anyone telling you guys you gave up too much for the guy hasn't watched him play. Best of luck.

msealy2
04-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Vikings fans I am not hating but just drawing parallels with recent history. Last year the 49ers went out and spent big money on free agents aka Micheal Lewis, Aubrayo Franklin, Nate Clements, Tully Banti-Cain. Like the Vikings they had reason for hope as they had a huge rusher in Frank Gore and had signed the afore mentioned free agents. BUT they had an unproven QB in Alex Smith and lacked a premier reciever, and had a ****** o-line. They went out gave up a 4th round pick for Darrell Jackson and traded a 2nd rounder for Joe Staley. They finished 4 and 12 and Jackson was released a year later. The Vikings paid premium money to a guy in Berrian who has never had a thousand yard recieving season not to mention it takes up a while to pick up the intricacies of a west coast offense, signed Madiu Williams, and most recently traded for Jared Allan. They need some more corners as there is little depth beyond starters Cedric Griffin and Antoine Winfield. Although they spent a 3rd rounder last year on Marcus McCauley he didn't have a single interception. At O-line they have no decent right tackle and Bryant McKinnie could be heading to prison. The Vikings also need a tight end sing Shiancoe can't seem to hold on to the football. Best bet: Draft Sam Baker 2nd round and pick up Terrell Thomas in the 4th.

First, I wouldn't exactly call Frank Gore a premier rusher. Next, McKinnie won't be heading to jail, he'll likely get a suspension from the league but he won't go to jail. And as far as McCauley goes, he most definetly did not have the best rookie season however it wasn't defined as such because of a lack of interceptions. I'm just saying that maybe the premise behind your arguement is valid, maybe its not, you just have some holes in it.