View Full Version : Jared Allen traded to the Vikings

Pages : [1] 2

T-RICH49
04-17-2008, 12:04 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8043460?MSNHPHMA

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.Carl you gots to go NOW

Flyboy
04-17-2008, 12:17 PM
I know the Chiefs definitely need offensive line help, but could they possibly select an end in the draft now? Hm.

eazyb81
04-17-2008, 12:20 PM
I know the Chiefs definitely need offensive line help, but could they possibly select an end in the draft now? Hm.

If this goes through, I'm sure they'll be looking for a tackle with the new 1st round pick and BPA with the #5 overall. Thus, Gholston or Long could be options if either falls.

It looks like KC is finally going to do a full rebuilding effort. Man, we are going to be BRUTAL to watch next year.

TitleTown088
04-17-2008, 12:20 PM
I think the Queens will do it. He'd make their defense damn good, I just hope they overspend for him.

DiG
04-17-2008, 12:25 PM
trade talks that involve a defensive end and the skins are mentioned?!?! crazy talk. haha but seriously the chiefs cant be that stupid can they?

T-RICH49
04-17-2008, 12:27 PM
trade talks that involve a defensive end and the skins are mentioned?!?! crazy talk. haha but seriously the chiefs cant be that stupid can they?

If Carl Peterson is involved then yes they can be that stupid

Vikes99ej
04-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Oh God this just made my day.

bigbluedefense
04-17-2008, 12:30 PM
so if they trade him for a draft pick....theyre still going to need a DE and will have to address it with a draft pick.

so why not just pay him his money? DEs of his caliber don't grow on trees.

vidae
04-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Carl Peterson has made some STUPID decisions during his time as the Chiefs GM, but if we actually traded arguably our best player and cornerstone of our defense, it will take the f'ing cake.

I know we're in rebuilding mode, but our defense is finally starting to show promise, and Jared Allen is one of, if not THE, biggest reason for this change. He's young (26), very skilled at the DE position, and is going to play for at least 7 or 8 more years.

Trading him would be a very, very big mistake.

Vikes99ej
04-17-2008, 12:33 PM
I wouldn't even hesitate giving a 1st/2nd or 1st/3rd for him.

toonsterwu
04-17-2008, 12:35 PM
I really think this thread could be in the draft forum, or at least, a thread on said ramifications.

Anyhow, this is an interesting potential move. The three teams mentioned (Vikings, Buccaneers, Jaguars) are all mid-late first.

Let's assume it happens. Does this necessarily mean they go for BPA at 5? I'd be wary of saying yes to that.

The reason being this - end value can be found later. Heck, they can look for end in the 2nd or 3rd. Left tackle value, well, it thins out real quick, unless they chance it on Anthony Collins or Duane Brown, both of whom have questions. The interesting thing in all this would be DT, where Ellis might tempt. This also frees them up to go for a QB earlier.

I think this allows them to look at DE or DT, and even Matt Ryan, at 5. But I can still see them reaching for a LT and then working to fill out the other spots later.

eazyb81
04-17-2008, 12:35 PM
so if they trade him for a draft pick....theyre still going to need a DE and will have to address it with a draft pick.

so why not just pay him his money? DEs of his caliber don't grow on trees.

1. He doesn't want to sign with KC and has said so repeatedly, and

2. He's one incident away from getting a one year suspension due to his prior DUIs.

eazyb81
04-17-2008, 12:37 PM
I really think this thread could be in the draft forum, or at least, a thread on said ramifications.

Anyhow, this is an interesting potential move. The three teams mentioned (Vikings, Buccaneers, Jaguars) are all mid-late first.

Let's assume it happens. Does this necessarily mean they go for BPA at 5? I'd be wary of saying yes to that.

The reason being this - end value can be found later. Heck, they can look for end in the 2nd or 3rd. Left tackle value, well, it thins out real quick, unless they chance it on Anthony Collins or Duane Brown, both of whom have questions. The interesting thing in all this would be DT, where Ellis might tempt. This also frees them up to go for a QB earlier.

I think this allows them to look at DE or DT, and even Matt Ryan, at 5. But I can still see them reaching for a LT and then working to fill out the other spots later.

I honestly believe the plan was BPA even before this move. It just isn't practical to reach for an OT at 5 when there isn't much of a difference between the top four or five guys outside of Jake Long.

By adding a pick at 17 or 20, they can go BPA in the 1st and then get a guy like Otah or Williams with the 2nd 1st round pick to fill the OT hole.

toonsterwu
04-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Carl Peterson has made some STUPID decisions during his time as the Chiefs GM, but if we actually traded arguably our best player and cornerstone of our defense, it will take the f'ing cake.

I know we're in rebuilding mode, but our defense is finally starting to show promise, and Jared Allen is one of, if not THE, biggest reason for this change. He's young (26), very skilled at the DE position, and is going to play for at least 7 or 8 more years.

Trading him would be a very, very big mistake.

Let's say the Chiefs get a 1st and a 3rd from him. Let's say the Vikings, as they have said extra third and are the highest rumored team.

That would give the Chiefs, and let's say the Chiefs get the early 3rd (Denver's). That gives the Chiefs, in the first 3 rounds, 5, 17, 35, 66, 73. That's a heck of a lot of talent that can be added to help the Chiefs rebuild faster. Yes, Allen is dominant, but the Chiefs have holes right now.

For Peterson, this does give him the flexibility of going QB early if he wants to.

toonsterwu
04-17-2008, 12:40 PM
I honestly believe the plan was BPA even before this move. It just isn't practical to reach for an OT at 5 when there isn't much of a difference between the top four or five guys outside of Jake Long.

By adding a pick at 17 or 20, they can go BPA in the 1st and then get a guy like Otah or Williams with the 2nd 1st round pick to fill the OT hole.

If that's the way it works out, then yes, that would be ideal. But there's a very solid possibility that the top 5 OL guys are off before 17, leaving guys like Cherilus, Brown, Collins, Baker, the latter three huge reaches at 17.

vidae
04-17-2008, 12:42 PM
1. He doesn't want to sign with KC and has said so repeatedly, and

2. He's one incident away from getting a one year suspension due to his prior DUIs.

He has cleaned up his act since the DUIs.

vidae
04-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Let's say the Chiefs get a 1st and a 3rd from him. Let's say the Vikings, as they have said extra third and are the highest rumored team.

That would give the Chiefs, and let's say the Chiefs get the early 3rd (Denver's). That gives the Chiefs, in the first 3 rounds, 5, 17, 35, 66, 73. That's a heck of a lot of talent that can be added to help the Chiefs rebuild faster. Yes, Allen is dominant, but the Chiefs have holes right now.

For Peterson, this does give him the flexibility of going QB early if he wants to.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, and we could do a lot with those picks, but we all know how getting pressure is really important in this league. Look at the Giants last year, perfect example. Getting pressure is key and right now we have someone that can challenge for the sack title each year.

The extra picks would help a lot, I just think trading away the most important part of our defense to get them is a mistake.

eazyb81
04-17-2008, 12:46 PM
If that's the way it works out, then yes, that would be ideal. But there's a very solid possibility that the top 5 OL guys are off before 17, leaving guys like Cherilus, Brown, Collins, Baker, the latter three huge reaches at 17.

That is certainly a possibility, but I think the odds are in KC's favor that at least one of the top five is there at 17.

If not, then you take BPA again at 17. KC needs help just about everywhere.

eazyb81
04-17-2008, 12:47 PM

So he says, and all it takes is one more mistake. Plus, he just opened a new bar - I'm sure he'll be able to avoid temptations, right?

Sorry, but I'm not comfortable giving $30+ mill to a guy that is such a high-risk.

Wyndham
04-17-2008, 12:56 PM
They're going "BPA" at five whether Allen is traded or not. Period.

T-RICH49
04-17-2008, 01:07 PM
So he says, and all it takes is one more mistake. Plus, he just opened a new bar - I'm sure he'll be able to avoid temptations, right?

Sorry, but I'm not comfortable giving $30+ mill to a guy that is such a high-risk.

Well that's where we differ.DE's like Jared do not just grow on trees.trading him will set us back another 5-10 years

Tampa 2 4 life
04-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Gaines and Allen will be one hell of a DE combo.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-17-2008, 01:15 PM
If Minnesota could land him for a 1st and a 3rd, they should jump all over this. Allen is a tremendous player.

georgiafan
04-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Well that's where we differ.DE's like Jared do not just grow on trees.trading him will set us back another 5-10 years

I know he is a great player, but losing a DE will not set your team back 10 years no matter how good he is.

Dr. Gonzo
04-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Allen will be better then every DE coming out of this draft so I do not hesitate to give the Chiefs what they are asking for. The Williams and Allen would make a dominate D Line.

Babylon
04-17-2008, 01:30 PM

If that were the deal it would give the Chiefs the flexibilty to take a Ryan or a Brohm with one of those two number ones and still get the OL they have been talking about. They have been talking about liking Jordy Nelson so they could gamble he's there early in round 3 or take him at 35. I like Allen but i think he can be replaced. Remember he was a 4th round pick himself.

vidae
04-17-2008, 01:34 PM
The Chiefs are a team without an identity. We were starting to get one with our defense. It was actually getting quite good, but I don't see how this can be anything but bad for a struggling team. It might not set our team back 5-10 years but it will definitely set our defense back a long way. Like T-Rich said, players of Jared Allens caliber don't grow on trees.

No matter what we get (1st and 2nd, 1st and 3rd) I think we're making a mistake in letting him go. It never should have gotten to this point. The franchise tag should not have been used. He should have been signed to a long term deal.

Long live "King" Carl.

Forenci
04-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Wow, if the Vikings get Allen, that would be pretty sick. I mean, any defensive end the Vikings would get with that first would be no where comparable to Allen. At least, not for a few years, and if then, they could just bust.

Really sounds like this deal is going to get done too. Props to the Vikings, or the Bucs (though they seem to be on the outside looking in now) if they get a deal done.

Bengals1690
04-17-2008, 01:58 PM
chad johnson for jared allen?

Paranoidmoonduck
04-17-2008, 01:59 PM
chad johnson for jared allen?

I don't know why the Chiefs would want Chad Johnson if they're rebuilding.

Bengals1690
04-17-2008, 02:00 PM
I don't know why the Chiefs would want Chad Johnson if they're rebuilding.

wishful thinking bro. If that happened i would literally jump for joy.

JagHombre22
04-17-2008, 02:01 PM
I would easily trade the Jags 1st and both thirds for Allen....hopefully this happens...

CC.SD
04-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Woooooohoooo hope this happens. If there's one player in the league who just flat out beats Marcus McNeill, it's Jared Allen.

T-RICH49
04-17-2008, 02:10 PM
If this trade Happens Carl needs to leave KC immediatley for his opwn safety.you do NOT trade a preimere defensive end for unknowns it's just dumb in every sense

Crvena Ptica
04-17-2008, 02:13 PM
I think it will take 1st and 2nd pick to land Allen. Many teams will be intrested.

vidae
04-17-2008, 02:15 PM
I think it will take 1st and 2nd pick to land Allen. Many teams will be intrested.

I hope it's at least a first and second. To get anything less for a (the) premiere pass rusher is just stupid.

T-RICH49
04-17-2008, 02:17 PM
I hope it's at least a first and second. To get anything less for a (the) premiere pass rusher is just stupid.

exactly a 1st and 2nd this year and maybe a player or a pick in '09

niel89
04-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Allen will be better then every DE coming out of this draft so I do not hesitate to give the Chiefs what they are asking for. The Williams and Allen would make a dominate D Line.

he will be better and already is developed. i dont see how any of the mentioned teams would hesitate strongly.

TheGreatEscape
04-17-2008, 02:34 PM
If the chiefs trade him for the vike's 1st and 3rd anyone think they'll put their 5th overall pick on block for less, trying to trade back into the 10-14 range to grab one of the top 5 OL and get as many picks as possible. Could help them get young fast. Build up the oline and D, then grab a QB like Brohm in the second or wait til next year.

If they can end day one with Clady/Williams, Harvey, Brohm and one of the day one corners I think they'd be in a much better spot.

The Dynasty
04-17-2008, 02:39 PM
I saw on startribune.com that the rumor is 2009 1st and 2nd round picks and I would have to think a pick or 2 from this year.

I know Crazy_Chris said 1st and 2nd of Next year and 2nd this year which would fine by me. I dont know how Chief fans would be for that but Vikings need Allen. So Give up alot to gain alot.

vidae
04-17-2008, 02:44 PM
1st and 2nd NEXT year? I really hope not.

The Vikings could have a lower pick in the 1st next year as it looks like they're becoming decent and might even make the playoffs. Would rather have the 17th this year than the 20th or lower next.

T-RICH49
04-17-2008, 02:44 PM
I saw on startribune.com that the rumor is 2009 1st and 2nd round picks and I would have to think a pick or 2 from this year.

I know Crazy_Chris said 1st and 2nd of Next year and 2nd this year which would fine by me. I dont know how Chief fans would be for that but Vikings need Allen. So Give up alot to gain alot.

It better be at least a 1st and 2nd THIS YEAR.Allen should net us a couple picks this year and one next year

bored of education
04-17-2008, 02:46 PM
If he gets traded I will be a free agent looking for a new team to cheer on

So far prospects are:
1. Bills
2. Team which Allen gets traded to
3 Steelers

Crvena Ptica
04-17-2008, 02:49 PM
1st and 2nd NEXT year? I really hope not.

The Vikings could have a lower pick in the 1st next year as it looks like they're becoming decent and might even make the playoffs. Would rather have the 17th this year than the 20th or lower next.

Yeah, but you never know. It's the parity league and you might end up with a top ten pick in 2009.

The Dynasty
04-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Meanwhile Minnesota is considering offering its first-round pick and a second-round pick in 2009, while the Chiefs would prefer to deal for picks in this year's draft, sources told Smith.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3351406

Draft Day Trade? I guess if Harvey and Williams are gone I would be all for trading the 1st and 3rd and a next year pick for Allen.

vidae
04-17-2008, 02:51 PM
And we might end up with the 28th pick next year. Which would also mean a late late second round pick as well, which would be really bad value for a player like Jared Allen.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. I hate Carl Peterson.

The Dynasty
04-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Micheal Smith on ESPN Special right now said that he thinks that the Chiefs will get the 17th pick in this draft and something else for Allen from the Vikings.

vidae
04-17-2008, 02:58 PM
If it's anything but first and second this year, we got screwed hard.

bored of education
04-17-2008, 02:59 PM
adrian Peterson, 1st rounder, EJ Henderson for Jared Allen :)

vidae
04-17-2008, 03:00 PM
17th overall pick and Bryant McKinnie!

toonsterwu
04-17-2008, 03:04 PM
I'd have to think that, at the very minimum, it would at least involve the first this year for the Vikings. I can't see the Chiefs agreeing to a deal without getting a first this year. I mean, I'd imagine a team like Jacksonville would be willing to ship their first rounder (and more).

bearsfan_51
04-17-2008, 03:04 PM
That is certainly a possibility, but I think the odds are in KC's favor that at least one of the top five is there at 17.

If not, then you take BPA again at 17. KC needs help just about everywhere.
Definately not in their favor, though still a possibility.

Long will go in the top 3.

The Pats and Ravens could both consider a lineman in the top 10. Let's say that either Albert or Clady go in the top 10. I think there is a good chance that one of them will.

Then there is the Broncos, Panthers, Bears, and Lions that would all strongly consider Williams, Otah, and Albert/Clady.

I'd say, at best, there is a 30-40% chance that one of those 5 drops through, and I'm not sure the Chiefs can risk that. Then again they are going to suck for the next year or two anyway, so BPA isn't a terrible idea.

TheIncredibleDraftDude
04-17-2008, 03:05 PM

skymaster!!

Crvena Ptica
04-17-2008, 03:09 PM

Add to that deal Randy's jersey from Vikings days.:rolleyes:

Crazy_Chris
04-17-2008, 03:09 PM
17th overall pick and Bryant McKinnie!

I knew it wouldn't be long before his name was brought up but there is no way that would happen. That leaves us without a 1st round pick and a huge hole at LT(good ones aren't easy to find) and still a need at RT too.

eazyb81
04-17-2008, 03:15 PM
I'd say, at best, there is a 30-40% chance that one of those 5 drops through, and I'm not sure the Chiefs can risk that. Then again they are going to suck for the next year or two anyway, so BPA isn't a terrible idea.

It's impossible to know for sure when we can't see every team's draft board. That said, the Chiefs are horrible and have many needs. It's not like they are a playoff contender if Chris Williams is there at 17.

Grab top talent with the two 1st round picks and then hopefully get an elite player when we have a top three pick next year.

This is the best strategy - Allen is not willing to resign here and is one strike away from sitting out for an entire season. Sell high on him now.

vidae
04-17-2008, 03:17 PM
I knew it wouldn't be long before his name was brought up but there is no way that would happen. That leaves us without a 1st round pick and a huge hole at LT(good ones aren't easy to find) and still a need at RT too.

Oh I know it'd never happen. Just wishful thinking.

The_Dude
04-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Like the other Vikes fans, I think that this is a "must-do" situation and would be willing to overpay a bit to get him.... he'd change our defense big time from the moment he's in purple.

adschofield
04-17-2008, 03:33 PM
I'll trust the front office, if they think they can't sign him, trade him...It would be great to have 5 or so draft picks in the first 3 rounds, esp. in this draft

Like it's been said, we will suck next year regardless, let's just really start rebuilding

JT Jag
04-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Please please please try to work this trade, Jags.

toonsterwu
04-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Please please please try to work this trade, Jags.

The problem for the Jags is positioning. Of course, I guess they could agree to fork over two firsts and sign him to a deal that the Chiefs won't match. Actually, that wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

T-RICH49
04-17-2008, 03:36 PM
I'll trust the front office, if they think they can't sign him, trade him...It would be great to have 5 or so draft picks in the first 3 rounds, esp. in this draft

Like it's been said, we will suck next year regardless, let's just really start rebuilding

I wish Clark Hunt would step up and pay Jared what he deserves.Carl Peterson is the most incompetent GM in pro sports HISTORY

adschofield
04-17-2008, 03:38 PM
I wish Clark Hunt would step up and pay Jared what he deserves.Carl Peterson is the most incompetent GM in pro sports HISTORY

How's this scenario? We keep him, win 4 games next year, then he leaves for greener pastures, and we're screwed

toonsterwu
04-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Actually ... thinking about it more ... why wouldn't these teams just sign him to an offer, an offer such that the Chiefs won't ponder matching, and give up two firsts instead. Well, maybe not for the Bucs, but for the Jags and Vikes, that actually makes a lot of sense, particularly the Jags.

T-RICH49
04-17-2008, 03:43 PM
How's this scenario? We keep him, win 4 games next year, then he leaves for greener pastures, and we're screwed

because he is a guy to build the defense around plain and simple.you don't trade your best defensive player you pay him what he deserves

PackerLegend
04-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Go to Tampa Jared. We all know how the Vikings like their boat parties and drinking :D . The last thing you need is another DUI and be suspended a year.

vidae
04-17-2008, 03:46 PM
At this point, it might be too late. He doesn't have to sign anything if he doesn't want to.

I guess might as well get as much for him as we can. Carl Peterson is stupid. It didn't have to work out this way.

eazyb81
04-17-2008, 03:48 PM
because he is a guy to build the defense around plain and simple.you don't trade your best defensive player you pay him what he deserves

Did you not understand what he just said? Allen doesn't want to sign a contract here, so he would be leaving in a year anyways. By trading him we're getting something back in return instead of holding our junk next offseason.

toonsterwu
04-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Actually, can anyone answer me this. Jared isn't an exclusive franchise, at least, I don't think he is. Wouldn't it make much more sense for the Vikings or Jaguars, if they have the cap room, which I'm not certain about, but there's always a way around thing, to sign him to a deal structured so that the Chiefs can't match or threaten to match such that they could force negotiations?

I mean, yes, this would suck for the Chiefs fans, but for the Jaguars, so they give up a late first this year, and likely, a mid-late first next year. Even for the Vikings, this might even be preferable.

adschofield
04-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Actually, can anyone answer me this. Jared isn't an exclusive franchise, at least, I don't think he is. Wouldn't it make much more sense for the Vikings or Jaguars, if they have the cap room, which I'm not certain about, but there's always a way around thing, to sign him to a deal structured so that the Chiefs can't match or threaten to match such that they could force negotiations?

I mean, yes, this would suck for the Chiefs fans, but for the Jaguars, so they give up a late first this year, and likely, a mid-late first next year. Even for the Vikings, this might even be preferable.

They could def. do it...But God, I hope not

vidae
04-17-2008, 03:52 PM
They could do it, yeah. It would really be crappy if it happened.

T-RICH49
04-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Did you not understand what he just said? Allen doesn't want to sign a contract here, so he would be leaving in a year anyways. By trading him we're getting something back in return instead of holding our junk next offseason.

He has said he loves KC his problem is with CP(as always is with Peterson the moron)this could have been prevented a year or two ago but Peterson sat on his butt and now look at where we are at

eazyb81
04-17-2008, 03:58 PM

They could certainly do that, but apparently that is a last case scenario to give up two 1sts.

Also, the NBC affiliate in KC just reported that Minny has an 8 year, $71 mill offer on the table to Allen.

akvikefan89
04-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Man I'm shaking. I'd be so physched if this happened.

Sveen
04-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Smith reported that according to sources, the Vikings appear to be a front-runner because they have, and are willing to deal, Kansas City what it wants most -- draft choices.

Tampa Bay only has five picks in this year's draft and, according to sources, the Bucs are reluctant to include more than a first-round pick for Allen. The Bucs have offered their first-round pick and a fifth-round pick next year, and their proposed deal could also include defensive lineman Jovan Haye, Smith reported.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3351406&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

toonsterwu
04-17-2008, 04:04 PM
For the Vikes, it's a bit more understandable why they wouldn't want to give up two firsts. As much as people want to predict them doing well, they could easily stagnate or go backwards.

But if the Jags can stick their head in, I think it's well worth it for them to try and offer something, even if it's a poison pill type deal.

Did the station indicate the breakdown of the deal the Vikes are offering? I'd be more intrigued with that, although 8/71 is a heck of a deal for Jared.

toonsterwu
04-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Jovan Haye doesn't make that much sense for the Chiefs. They have a similar player in McBride, and they might as well see what McBride can offer than dealing for Haye.

eazyb81
04-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Did the station indicate the breakdown of the deal the Vikes are offering? I'd be more intrigued with that, although 8/71 is a heck of a deal for Jared.

Nope, that was the only info at this point.

nemesis3394
04-17-2008, 04:12 PM
i really hope the vikes get him
a first this year and a 2nd or 3rd next year would be awesome

vidae
04-17-2008, 04:12 PM
From the Chiefs page:

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/04/17/chiefs_statement_on_the_status_of_de_jared_allen/

“We will confirm that we have been in conversation with a few teams regarding the possibility of acquiring Jared Allen’s contractual rights. Any potential agreement would be contingent on the Chiefs receiving appropriate compensation and Jared’s representative reaching a contract agreement.

“Jared is not an exclusive franchise player. Therefore, based on the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, he has the right to visit and negotiate with other teams. However, for any trade to be completed, the Chiefs would need to reach an agreement on compensation. At this point, all of these discussions are preliminary.”

- Carl Peterson, President

vidae
04-17-2008, 04:13 PM
i really hope the vikes get him
a first this year and a 2nd or 3rd next year would be awesome

That isn't near what he's worth. Not even close. Come on.

Watchman
04-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Jovan Haye doesn't make that much sense for the Chiefs. They have a similar player in McBride, and they might as well see what McBride can offer than dealing for Haye.

I would think Greg White would make more sense in the trade. That way the Chiefs get a DE in return plus the picks.

kmartin575
04-17-2008, 04:21 PM
1. He doesn't want to sign with KC and has said so repeatedly.

That isn't true but hey whatever, there isn't anything wrong with making crap up.

toonsterwu
04-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Greg White probably doesn't make much sense for the Chiefs considering his age.

eazyb81
04-17-2008, 04:25 PM
That isn't true but hey whatever, there isn't anything wrong with making crap up.

LOL, okay kid.

kmartin575
04-17-2008, 04:28 PM

Except that isn't true. He has never said he would not sign a contract here. He said he will never sign a contract here if he plays this year under the franchise tender. If a long term contract was reached before the season then he wouldn't be playing under the franchise tender.

Allen has said he would sign a contract if the money was right.

kmartin575
04-17-2008, 04:32 PM
LOL, okay kid.

I heard Jared Allen say himself on 810 WHB in Kansas City that he would sign a contract if the money was right but that he would never sign a long term contract if he had to play a down as the franchise player. So go ahead and "LOL, okay kid" me but what you keep saying is NOT true.

eazyb81
04-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Except that isn't true. He has never said he would not sign a contract here. He said he will never sign a contract here if he plays this year under the franchise tender. If a long term contract was reached before the season then he wouldn't be playing under the franchise tender.

Allen has said he would sign a contract if the money was right.

He wants a Freeney-type contract, which is absurd given the high risks involved in giving him a long-term deal. Pat Kirwan has also stated that Allen told him he wants out of KC because the team is rebuilding and he wants to be with a team that can win a championship during his prime.

Given his frustration with our rebuilding efforts and the fact we won't give him an elite long-term deal, I think it's fair to say that he does not want to stay in KC. Disagree on semantics if you'd like, but he's certainly not begging Carl not to trade him.

ShutDwn
04-17-2008, 04:37 PM
The Panthers would be foolish not to go all out for a trade.

MetSox17
04-17-2008, 04:46 PM
The Panthers would be foolish not to go all out for a trade.

I think it's safe to say that the Panthers have bigger needs than signing another DE to an enormous deal. You have a freak already on your team, sign HIM while he's cheap and coming off a bad year instead of having to pay him more money than Freeney after he gets double digit sacks this year again.

vidae
04-17-2008, 04:52 PM
I would much rather deal with the Panthers. They have a high enough pick that we could ensure one of the good tackles falls to us.

Oh well. :)

Scotty D
04-17-2008, 04:55 PM
So uhhh yeah Detroit should maybe look into this. We have the highest first rounder.

litlharsh
04-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepl easepleasepleaseplease

CARDIAC CAT 7
04-17-2008, 04:58 PM
They should talk to Cincy about Chad Johnson, they need a player opposite of Bowe.
Kansas City gets:
- Chad Johnson
- 9th Pick Overall (draft Albert or Clady, which ever one falls)
- 3rd or 4th Round Pick

Cincinnati Bengals:
- Jared Allen
- 5th Pick Overall (draft Sedrick Ellis)

vidae
04-17-2008, 05:00 PM
They should talk to Cincy about Chad Johnson, they need a player opposite of Bowe.
Kansas City gets:
- Chad Johnson
- 9th Pick Overall (draft Albert or Clady, which ever one falls)
- 3rd or 4th Round Pick

Cincinnati Bengals:
- Jared Allen
- 5th Pick Overall (draft Sedrick Ellis)

No. Just no.

adschofield
04-17-2008, 05:01 PM
I heard Jared Allen say himself on 810 WHB in Kansas City that he would sign a contract if the money was right but that he would never sign a long term contract if he had to play a down as the franchise player. So go ahead and "LOL, okay kid" me but what you keep saying is NOT true.

Yes, but he's asking for too much money! He's not going to sign a reasonable contract

toonsterwu
04-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Really a side note, but all this KC and WR talk is a bit blown out of proportion. Yes, they need another target, but unless Bowe regresses, they need a 2 or a 3 to Bowe's lead target. Moreover, they were high on Jeff Webb, and he showed some improvement. Certainly, a WR will be added, and considering it's Chan Gailey, probably a guy with some size, but I'm not sure if they need to make a high move for a WR, whether it be for a veteran, or spending a first or 2nd round pick on one.

ChezPower4
04-17-2008, 05:20 PM
I don't they should trade Allen he is their best player and they can not afford to lose him.

vidae
04-17-2008, 05:39 PM
I think it's a bit late. I find it hard to believe the Chiefs match 8 years for 71 million. He's gone I think. I hope we can rebuild fast or the next two or three years are going to be painful to watch as a Chiefs fan.

Watchman
04-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Greg White probably doesn't make much sense for the Chiefs considering his age.

Well he is three years older than Allen, but he's coming off a pretty decent year with 8 sacks and 7 FF as one of a few rotating DEs. Seems like there would be some benefit to getting a DE in return.

The Legend
04-17-2008, 05:51 PM
Ravens or Packers, i think he would be scary in the Ravens system, next to Kampman

jth1331
04-17-2008, 05:55 PM
haha, I WANT CARL TO BE GM OF THE CHIEFS FOREVER!

Allen is gone it seems, and probably will be a 1st and a 3rd.

vidae
04-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Bad value. He's worth more. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Vikings4ever
04-17-2008, 06:07 PM

So did Koren Robinson. Then the Vikes gave him a decent sized contract.

Look how that turned out.

kmartin575
04-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Yes, but he's asking for too much money! He's not going to sign a reasonable contract

Other teams are willing to pay him the money. If somebody is willing to pay the money then it is not too much money.

The Chiefs are cheap, simple as that. What happens if Dwayne Bowe continues to improve and becomes a pro bowl wide receiver? Are we just going to let him walk when he asks to be paid like one of the best at his position? What happens if Derrick Johnson finally puts it all together and has a pro bowl type year? Are we going to let him walk when he asks to be paid like one of the best at his position?

This team makes it way to hard to keep their own players. We screwed the pooch big time on this one. Should have traded LJ and kept Allen. Most fans don't like LJ very much (i'm not one of them) and we give him close to $20 million guaranteed. But then when fan favorite Jared Allen asks for his money we treat him like this? I would want out of town too if I were him.

Boston
04-17-2008, 07:08 PM
So did Koren Robinson. Then the Vikes gave him a decent sized contract.

Look how that turned out.

Well, it got him out of Minnesota and into Green Bay, so from his perspective, that couldn't have worked out any better.

jth1331
04-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Bad value. He's worth more. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Worth more? Based on what? Your opinion?
He had an amazing year last year, but he still has a year or 8 game suspension looming over his head if anything happens.
Plus, looking at previous trades, he isn't going to get much more than a 1st and 3rd. Chiefs might get a 1st and 2nd, but I don't see it much more than that.
If you expect to get like 3 1sts or whatever, keep dreaming.

vidae
04-17-2008, 07:39 PM
I never said anything close to 3 1st rounders, so I'm not sure where you got that. I was talking 1st and 3rd this year and a conditional next year or a 1st and 2nd this year.

And based on the fact that he led the league in sacks last year, is only 26, has a non stop motor and will be a factor in every play the team runs on defense (and some on offense, as he caught two TD passes last year in the red zone). The guy can do it all.

And I might be homering it up a bit, but whoever trades for him is going to get one heck of a football player from day one.

Packman1957
04-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Way to go Peterson, just trade Allen to the Vikings. If Allen lands with the Vikings, that is going to be one sick D-line. Sucks for my Packers.

adschofield
04-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Other teams are willing to pay him the money. If somebody is willing to pay the money then it is not too much money.

The Chiefs are cheap, simple as that. What happens if Dwayne Bowe continues to improve and becomes a pro bowl wide receiver? Are we just going to let him walk when he asks to be paid like one of the best at his position? What happens if Derrick Johnson finally puts it all together and has a pro bowl type year? Are we going to let him walk when he asks to be paid like one of the best at his position?

This team makes it way to hard to keep their own players. We screwed the pooch big time on this one. Should have traded LJ and kept Allen. Most fans don't like LJ very much (i'm not one of them) and we give him close to $20 million guaranteed. But then when fan favorite Jared Allen asks for his money we treat him like this? I would want out of town too if I were him.

Do you know how much he's asking? Hell no. I'll leave it up to the Front Office...I've honestly grown really tired of all the Chiefs fans whining whenever something doesn't go how the fans would like them to...We've been spoiled the last decade by always competing for a playoff spot, but then everyone whines about Carl Peterson using too many veteran players to plug up holes...Then whenever he tries to rebuild with younger players, everyone bitches and moans because we're going to have a couple of losing seasons...Stop acting like you know what goes on in the Front Office because you don't...Peterson gets way too bad of a rep. because frankly he's a hands-off GM. Just because he doesn't want to bet on one player, Jared Allen, maintaing his success and staying out of trouble, doesn't mean that 'OMGZZ CARL PETRSON SUCKZZ'..

You act like if we have JA, we'll compete for a championship...We have way too many needs to invest soo much money in one player with a sketchy history...It's pretty apparent that if we want to keep Allen, we'll have to pay far more than other teams that might compete

So if you want to sign ONE player to a 80 million-ish deal while the rest of our team sucks ass, then you sir, with all due respect, need a reality check [/rant]

vidae
04-17-2008, 08:20 PM
I'm actually pretty happy we're rebuilding with younger players through the draft. I think it's the right move.

But I would still hate to see Jared leave.

BamaFalcon59
04-17-2008, 08:27 PM
He will not get more than a first. Fans overrate their players, ask Falcons fans who thought DeAngelo was worth a top 20 pick and more.

vidae
04-17-2008, 08:28 PM
He will not get more than a first. Fans overrate their players, ask Falcons fans who thought DeAngelo was worth a top 20 pick and more.

The Vikings were already rumored to be offering more than a first. Granted, it's a rumor, but it isn't outside the realm of possibility.

adschofield
04-17-2008, 08:29 PM

You're wrong to be frank

BamaFalcon59
04-17-2008, 08:37 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. I would say a first, maybe a 5th with it, is the most he will get.

bored of education
04-17-2008, 08:38 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. I would say a first, maybe a 5th with it, is the most he will get.

Ummm I beg to differ as well. Time will tell.

BamaFalcon59
04-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Well don't you guys sound like Falcons fans a few months ago! I think he gets a first round pick, because the Vikings are at a bad spot for defensive ends and they need a veteran, but much more than that I doubt. John Abraham a few years ago only got a late first round pick.

vidae
04-17-2008, 08:48 PM
We'll see what happens. Realistically I think we get more than a first and fifth, but only time will tell. If they are properly compensated, I expect this deal done soon.

Dr. Gonzo
04-17-2008, 08:52 PM
John Abraham isn't close to the player that Allen is. Abraham had already started to slip a little and Allen is entering his prime. The difference between this and the Hall trade talks is that is was only homer Falcon fans who were saying Hall would get a top 10 pick at the least and in this case everyone seems to agree that it will take a top 20 pick to start.

vikesrock28
04-17-2008, 08:53 PM
My understanding was that it was for a first and a third. The Vikes have two third rounders. Maybe the Vikes would like that toned down to a first and a fourth or fifth.

Or a conditional pick next year.

BamaFalcon59
04-17-2008, 08:59 PM
John Abraham isn't close to the player that Allen is. Abraham had already started to slip a little and Allen is entering his prime. The difference between this and the Hall trade talks is that is was only homer Falcon fans who were saying Hall would get a top 10 pick at the least and in this case everyone seems to agree that it will take a top 20 pick to start.

Another ignorant person. Most said a pick in the 20s for Hall, unless the person speaking was dumb. Not to mention he is a top three cornerback.

Abraham was not close? Abraham was 27 and coming off of a 10.5 sack year. In his past 35 games he had 25.5 sacks, 49 sacks in his last 67 games. That is pretty damn good. I'm not sure how he had began to slip. In his last 61 games Allen has 43 sacks. Six less games, six less sacks. Abraham wins out there. Allen is better against the run but the difference is not near what you say it is.

TitleTown088
04-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Another ignorant person. Most said a pick in the 20s for Hall, unless the person speaking was dumb. Not to mention he is a top three cornerback.

I think you just proved you're "ignorant" if you think that is a correct statement.

The NFL sack leader will surly demand more that a single first rounder and 5th.

BamaFalcon59
04-17-2008, 09:04 PM
I think you just proved you're "ignorant" if you think that is a correct statement.

The NFL sack leader will surly demand more that a single first rounder and 5th.

Glad you are going off of 2006, not 2007. Again, if you do not know what you are talking about, then be quiet. I might be wrong on Allen, but people downing Hall because of his horribe 2006 is getting old.

Packman1957
04-17-2008, 09:12 PM
If they are talking about picks in this draft, I would say it will be a first rounder and a third rounder. That seems to be the going rate. And there seems to be quite a bit of demand of Allen so that will work to the Chiefs advantage.

TitleTown088
04-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Glad you are going off of 2006, not 2007. Again, if you do not know what you are talking about, then be quiet. I might be wrong on Allen, but people downing Hall because of his horribe 2006 is getting old.

Hmmm.... show me where I mentioned 2006? If you're going to insinuate things to make your argument appear correct, "then be quiet". D. Hall is not a top three CB in the national football league, and it's hardly "ignorant" to say he's not.

BamaFalcon59
04-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Hmmm.... show me where I mentioned 2006? If you're going to insinuate things to make your argument appear correct, "then be quiet". D. Hall is not a top three CB in the national football league, and it's hardly "ignorant" to say he's not.

Yes, it really is. And you don't need to quote ignorant, it really is not that big of a word.

If you do not think he played like a top 3 CB last year then you are ignorant of the situation. Ignorant or just going off of 2006.

JT Jag
04-17-2008, 10:00 PM
The problem for the Jags is positioning. Of course, I guess they could agree to fork over two firsts and sign him to a deal that the Chiefs won't match. Actually, that wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.They could probably offer a first and a second (both this year), in addition to a player.

Vikes99ej
04-17-2008, 11:06 PM
They're not even talking about the Jaguars. Quit talking about them.

kmartin575
04-17-2008, 11:38 PM

Defensive ends are more valued than cornerbacks so this is a completely different situation.

MNRunLeft
04-17-2008, 11:48 PM
I hope the Vikings realize this is the guy they have been looking for year and make the move to get him. I'd prefer to go with our 1st and 4th this season and a 2nd in 09 but if thats not enough I think our 1st and 3rd this year and a 2nd next year is enough to get the deal done.

thetedginnshow
04-17-2008, 11:53 PM
Defensive ends are more valued than cornerbacks so this is a completely different situation.

I would highly disagree with that.

vidae
04-18-2008, 12:02 AM

It's definitely something you can debate over.

DHVF
04-18-2008, 12:10 AM
I would highly disagree with that.In a cover 2 defense, I don't see how you possibly could.

vikesrock28
04-18-2008, 01:05 AM
Right on, Gonzo, I think he'll be inspired by the opportunity to play on a line with two dominant tackles and Edwards is no slouch on the other side either. Robison and James as reserves? LORD, PLEASE HELP THE OPPOSITION! ROFLMAO!

NY+Giants=NYG
04-18-2008, 10:13 AM

DEs are valued more. With a good pash rush, you don't need pro bowlers in the backfield. But without a pash rush, even probowlers, can't cover that long given what the rules are today.

Sveen
04-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Pro Bowl defensive end Jared Allen is in the Twin Cities today meeting with Vikings officials and it sounds as if the team will try to keep him here until an agreement is reached both with Allen on a contract and with the Chiefs on compensation. That doesn’t mean it’s a slam dunk Allen ends up in Purple but it seems as if the folks at Winter Park certainly have their hopes up. (It’s a safe bet the people across the street who are in charge of marketing the Vikings also have high hopes.)

Allen has been given the franchise tag by the Chiefs but clearly wants out of Kansas City. While the Vikings would acquire Allen in a trade, they are allowed to talk to him about a contract because he’s not an “exclusive franchise player.” The Vikings are hoping that by getting to Allen first they can convince him that Minnesota is the best place for him.

It’s no different than what happened with free-agent defensive end Justin Smith in San Francisco. Smith was set to visit the Vikings after meeting with the 49ers, but the Niners were able to keep him in town and Smith never set foot in Minnesota.

The difference in this case is Allen is going to cost big money and the Chiefs also are going to get something in return. Ideally, the Vikings probably would like to send Kansas City their first (17th overall) pick and one of their two third-round selections. The Chiefs, though, could very well try to get a first- and second-round pick.

http://ww3.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=1515

LonghornsLegend
04-18-2008, 12:35 PM
The Chiefs better stand strong for a 1st and a 2nd, if they take a 1st and a 3rd Minnesota got a great deal.

Sveen
04-18-2008, 12:37 PM
I think he would be an excellent fit in Minnesota. What a d-line they will have...!

Young Nasty Man
04-18-2008, 12:58 PM
title town is right...DeAngelo Hall is hands down top three and top 2 on some charts...I don't know how that is disagreeable....The only clear better player is Champ..

The Dynasty
04-18-2008, 01:06 PM
The latest on Jared Allen
April 18th, 2008 – 12:55 PM by Judd Zulgad
Defensive end Jared Allen is at Winter Park right now talking to Vikings officials. It’s also believed his agent, Ken Harris, is in the building. That means only one thing: they are talking contract. The latest we’re hearing is that an agreement with the Chiefs is close to being in place and this thing could get done quick. We emphasize the word could, so don’t get too excited yet.

Allen is going to want a lot of Zygi Wilf’s money. Safe to say, the NFL’s sack leader from 2007 is going to want more than the Colts gave end Dwight Freeney last July. Freeney’s six-year contract – $72 million over six years with a $30 million signing bonus — made him the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history.

Considering the fact a player with Allen’s ability could make this one of the top defenses in the NFL, the guess is that Wilf and Co. will pay the price.

from http://ww3.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=1516

Looks like this deal could be happening sooner than I thought.

Vikes99ej
04-18-2008, 01:10 PM
from http://ww3.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=1516

Looks like this deal could be happening sooner than I thought.

That gave me a bigger erection than any porno ever could.

themaninblack
04-18-2008, 01:10 PM
could the Bengals trade CJ and a third for him?

LonghornsLegend
04-18-2008, 01:18 PM
That is going to be one sick defense, I have to admit, who do you double? If everyone can stay healthy their definately going to be a top 3 unit...I agree I think he's worth it, I'd give up the picks and pay up, and im I'm Allen this is a line I'd want to play with, as a DE who wouldnt want to play besides tackles like the williams'.

Young Legend
04-18-2008, 01:20 PM
that front 4 is gonna be nasty.

The Dynasty
04-18-2008, 01:21 PM

They want to get young. So I wouldnt think so.

vidae
04-18-2008, 01:26 PM

I don't see that happening. Chad obviously wants to play for a contender. He wouldn't get that opportunity for a few years here in KC, at least. And why would you go from a solid offensive line and a top 3 NFL QB to a really bad offensive line and an unproved QB?

TitleTown088
04-18-2008, 01:33 PM
title town is right...DeAngelo Hall is hands down top three and top 2 on some charts...I don't know how that is disagreeable....The only clear better player is Champ..

That would make me wrong buddy in you're opinion.

adschofield
04-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Let's get this trade done...I'm tired of Jared Allen's antics

princefielder28
04-18-2008, 01:51 PM
Let's get this trade done...I'm tired of Jared Allen's antics

what antics? Go from praising the player for how great he is and then throw him under the bus as he leaves town; the typical fan

adschofield
04-18-2008, 01:57 PM
what antics? Go from praising the player for how great he is and then throw him under the bus as he leaves town; the typical fan

I phrased that wrong...I meant the circus surrounding him

T-RICH49
04-18-2008, 02:06 PM
all Minnesota has to do is send us a 1st and 2nd this year and JA is there's

d34ng3l021
04-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Jajaja. You can now feel how it is to be a Falcons (if he gets traded not for his value)

The Dynasty
04-18-2008, 02:13 PM
all Minnesota has to do is send us a 1st and 2nd this year and JA is there's

Yeah thats All. Lol. One thing I wouldnt mind if the Vikings trade our 1st and both our 3rds instead of our 2nd. I dont know what Chief fans would think about that.

vidae
04-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Hmm, I don't think I would complain about a first and two thirds this year.

adschofield
04-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Yeah thats All. Lol. One thing I wouldnt mind if the Vikings trade our 1st and both our 3rds instead of our 2nd. I dont know what Chief fans would think about that.

Fine with me

kmartin575
04-18-2008, 02:43 PM

I don't know, I might be happy with that. It would net us more picks which we desparately need.

Babylon
04-18-2008, 04:01 PM
The Chiefs better stand strong for a 1st and a 2nd, if they take a 1st and a 3rd Minnesota got a great deal.

I think in this draft 1st and 3rd is nearly as good and it looks better to the Vikes fans.

PackerLegend
04-18-2008, 04:05 PM
This just in from rotoworld...

The St. Petersburg Times disputes a Minneapolis Star-Tribune report that the Vikings are close to reaching a deal with Jared Allen.

Citing a "very reliable source," the Times says a deal is far from being done. Allen is not believed to have left the Minnesota area yet.

This as well

Chiefs franchise player Jared Allen, who's in the Twin Cities on Friday, is still "tentatively" scheduled to visit the Buccaneers early next week.

Allen was originally expected to visit the Bucs next Friday, but it appears he'll move on quickly if the Vikings can't get him signed. Chiefs GM Carl Peterson says he hasn't "seen a contract offer" from Minnesota yet.

PLEASE LEAVE MINNESOTA JARED :D

The Dynasty
04-18-2008, 04:11 PM
He is still there as of 3:50 CST. I wont trust a source from Tampa when I have a source from Minnesota when we know he is in Minnesota.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Let's be honest here, based on recent deals around the NFL, a mid 1st rounder plus anything for Allen is a fantastic deal for Kansas City. This is a guy who has substantial worrisome history, is bluntly forcing Kansas City's hand here, and has been pretty disrespectful to the organization.

I'm not a fan of the Chiefs (and I assume neither is Allen, who grew up a Raider fan), but this guy has gotten into way more trouble than someone like DeAngelo Hall (granted, a top notch defensive end is way more valuable) and is likely to be dealt for way more value than someone like John Abraham, who was difficult, but nothing like Allen.

I'd be ecstatic to see him leave the division, but I think teams might be too willing to overpay for a guy coming off a hot year.

CC.SD
04-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Let's be honest here, based on recent deals around the NFL, a mid 1st rounder plus anything for Allen is a fantastic deal for Kansas City. This is a guy who has substantial worrisome history, is bluntly forcing Kansas City's hand here, and has been pretty disrespectful to the organization.

I'm not a fan of the Chiefs (and I assume neither is Allen, who grew up a Raider fan), but this guy has gotten into way more trouble than someone like DeAngelo Hall (granted, a top notch defensive end is way more valuable) and is likely to be dealt for way more value than someone like John Abraham, who was difficult, but nothing like Allen.

I'd be ecstatic to see him leave the division, but I think teams might be too willing to overpay for a guy coming off a hot year.

Yeah, but what a hot year, the guy was arguably the best defensive end in the league last year and he did it in 14 games.

Overpaying or not, he's a monster addition to any defense, and with the Williams' boys up in Minny, that is a beastly, beastly D-line.

Scotty D
04-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Ugh great. Another great DE in the Norris division. Our OTs are going get destroyed. Millen do something! you fat ****

Paranoidmoonduck
04-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Yeah, but what a hot year, the guy was arguably the best defensive end in the league last year and he did it in 14 games.

Overpaying or not, he's a monster addition to any defense, and with the Williams' boys up in Minny, that is a beastly, beastly D-line.

Not saying that if I were Minnesota, I wouldn't be all over this before anyone else could possibly get an offer in. I would. But Kansas City fans complaining that "they aren't getting enough value" are being ridiculous.

yo123
04-18-2008, 04:46 PM
soooooo close. Cmon just give them what they want before I have a heart attack. 1st and a second this year would be fine with me. A pass rusher is by far our biggest need, and other than maybe Chris Long he is infinately better than any DE in the draft.

bored of education
04-18-2008, 04:47 PM
I'm not. i would be happy if he was traded to the Jags for another third and 1st.

yo123
04-18-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm not. i would be happy if he was traded to the Jags for another third and 1st.

We have two thirds also

themaninblack
04-18-2008, 07:44 PM
I don't see that happening. Chad obviously wants to play for a contender. He wouldn't get that opportunity for a few years here in KC, at least. And why would you go from a solid offensive line and a top 3 NFL QB to a really bad offensive line and an unproved QB?

well he was talking about going to the Dolphins and the Raiders so who knows with him.

adschofield
04-18-2008, 09:23 PM
News is that KC has offered Allen a long-term deal...

Maybe KC was just using Minnesota to establish market value?

Maybe KC is just using this to get more compensation?

FuzzyGopher
04-18-2008, 09:25 PM
On NFL Live they said that the Vikings have a contract in place with Allen and they offered Kansas City this year's first and next years 2nd or this year's first and one of our 3rds this year. They said the Chiefs are interested in this years first and our early third rounder but the Vikings are haggling over the third rounder.

adschofield
04-18-2008, 09:27 PM
On NFL Live they said that the Vikings have a contract in place with Allen and they offered Kansas City this year's first and next years 2nd or this year's first and one of our 3rds this year. They said the Chiefs are interested in this years first and our early third rounder but the Vikings are haggling over the third rounder.

Then that's prob. why KC offer JA a deal...to try to drive the price up to a early 3rd

Dr. Gonzo
04-18-2008, 09:27 PM
******* hagglers. If this is in fact true and we lose Allen because we haggled over what 3rd to give up then Rick Speilman is dead to me.

yo123
04-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Wow are you kidding. Just give them the third rounder, you suck Rick Speilman.

The Dynasty
04-18-2008, 09:52 PM
They want our first 3rd? Then Give it too them jeez. Its only like 5 picks between each other Who cares. If we get Allen for a 1st and early 3rd then Im Happy. Come on Rick you have been doing good as a GM so far...Dont Screw it up. 1st and 3rd a Huge contract and We got the Pass rush we have needed for years.

vidae
04-18-2008, 10:19 PM
I fully expect a deal to get done. Like adschofield said, it's probably just a trick to get you guys to pay with the higher third or maybe even your second.

Regardless, I don't think that he will want to resign in KC after the last few days. We'll see any day now. Exciting times! ;)

The Dynasty
04-18-2008, 10:21 PM
Well If this trade does get done Ill have to change my Signature to Fit our Picks.

The Dynasty
04-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Some news on allen. From Pft.com

VIKES, CHIEFS, ALLEN STILL TALKING
Posted by Mike Florio on April 19, 2008, 7:22 a.m.
The discussions are continuining between the Minnesota Vikings and the Kansas City Chiefs and the Minnesota Vikings and defensive end Jared Allen regarding the transaction that would entail the Vikings giving picks and/or players to the Chiefs and plenty of money to Allen in order to acquire the league’s sack leader in 2008.

“It’s a multi-front type of [deal],” owner Zygi Wilf said on Friday. “You have to deal with Kansas City, you have to deal with Jared. It’s a whole aspect, and you have to weigh that with what’s best for the club. That’s ultimately what’s most important. What would be the best for this club and how we can get to the next level?”

Chiefs G.M. Carl Peterson, a hard-nosed negotiator who would request a sixth-round pick for a partially used stick of gum, claims that nothing is close. “[W]e’re talking in speculation right now,” Peterson said. “At this particular point, nothing has been done or consummated.”

The Minneapolis Star Tribune suggests that the Vikes would have to give up at a minimum first-round pick and a third-round pick in 2008. Charley Water of the St. Paul Pioneer Press suggests that the Vikes will offer their first-round pick this year and a second-round pick in 2009.

Neither package is much less than the two first-round picks that the Vikes would have to surrender if they deal directly with Allen and sign him to an offer sheet.

And even though coach Brad Childress says that the team wouldn’t give up two first-round picks for Allen, we think that the Vikings should strongly consider signing Allen to an offer sheet after the 2008 draft. If the Chiefs don’t match (a poison pill might be necessary to ensure that they won’t), the Vikings would give up their first-round picks in 2009 and 2010. And if Allen’s presence helps get the Vikings to the next level, the picks sacrificed in 2009 and 2010 would be low in round one.

It would be the biggest trade risk that the Vikings have taken since 1989, when they gave up three first-round picks, three second-round picks, a sixth-round pick, and five players for Herschel Walker, two third-round picks, a fifth-round pick, and a tenth-round pick. In comparison, however, a first-round pick in 2009 and a first-round pick in 2010 for the best defensive end to wear purple and gold since Chris Doleman would seem to be a small price to play.

vidae
04-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Signing him after the draft would really suck for the Chiefs. We wouldn't see a single pick for a year and only be compensated in two years.

MNRunLeft
04-19-2008, 12:15 PM
I would prefer the Vikings offer a 1st and 4th in 08 and a 2nd in 09. This way the Chiefs end up with the 11 picks they want in this draft plus they add a 2nd in next years draft, the Vikings also still have three picks in the 1st 3 rounds.

LonghornsLegend
04-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Signing him after the draft would really suck for the Chiefs. We wouldn't see a single pick for a year and only be compensated in two years.

It would suck having to wait, but trust me when the draft rolled around you wouldn't be upset at all, two years in a row of having multiple 1st rd picks is valuable, that gives you flexibility to move up both years and grab an elite guy of your choice, or end up with 4 pro bowl type player, I'd take that over a 1st and a 2nd, just because the compensation comes later doesnt mean it isn't a good deal.

vidae
04-19-2008, 12:43 PM
I never said it wasn't a good deal, I just said that it would suck. I'd also prefer two first rounders for the very same reasons you mentioned, but I have no illusions about it, if that happens I think we'll be seeing picks at the bottom half of the first round.

First round picks are still very valuable, but the Vikings are close to a playoff caliber team.

adschofield
04-19-2008, 02:15 PM
News is that the deal is hung up b/c the Chiefs want a 1st and 2nd and the Vikings are offering 1st and 3rd

Also, Allen could be leaving for Tampa sometime tonight

Dr. Gonzo
04-19-2008, 02:28 PM
If the deal doesn't get done I will cry. Just give them the 1st and 2nd.

The Dynasty
04-19-2008, 02:29 PM
News is that the deal is hung up b/c the Chiefs want a 1st and 2nd and the Vikings are offering 1st and 3rd

Also, Allen could be leaving for Tampa sometime tonight

I cant imagne Tampa giving up a 1st and 2nd either. They only have 5 picks, I think the Chiefs will either Cave in or Just keep Allen.

Dr. Gonzo
04-19-2008, 02:37 PM
I am just worried about Tampa somehow getting him if we let him leave. If they decide they want to keep Allen can we not just offer him a contract, poison pill it, and give up the future 1sts? We have more ammo then Tampa so if we can work out a contract with him we should be able to outbid them.

JagHombre22
04-19-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm still waiting for the Jags to pounce (pun intended) on this...I think they're waiting to see what everyone else is going to offer....

hopefully...

Dr. Gonzo
04-19-2008, 02:45 PM
I think we are all hoping our teams will end up with him. The homer in me says he ends up nowhere but with the Vikings. Please lt this happen.

T-RICH49
04-19-2008, 02:50 PM
If the deal doesn't get done I will cry. Just give them the 1st and 2nd.

yes what he said

Vikes99ej
04-19-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm starting to become pessimistic.

LonghornsLegend
04-19-2008, 03:34 PM
I am just worried about Tampa somehow getting him if we let him leave. If they decide they want to keep Allen can we not just offer him a contract, poison pill it, and give up the future 1sts? We have more ammo then Tampa so if we can work out a contract with him we should be able to outbid them.

For some reason I cant see Tampa outbidding Minnesota in this either, he seems more important to the Vikings, and he could literally put them over the top, and if it's up to him why wouldnt he want to play on that D-line.

I think the Vikes will do what it takes, might just take a bit longer then most expect, its hard for deals to get worked out immediately.

The Dynasty
04-19-2008, 03:51 PM
I guess some postive news from startribune.

Hungry for information
April 19th, 2008 – 3:36 PM by Judd Zulgad
Just got an e-mail and then saw an entry on the previous blog from folks wanting more information on what’s going on between Jared Allen and the Vikings today. At this point, we can tell you that a rather impressive stretch limousine remains parked out front of Winter Park. That almost certainly means Allen is still inside the building — unless the Vikings are employing a dummy limousine to throw everybody for a loop.

Yesterday, I mentioned on this blog that this could come together quickly. However, in pro sports days these quickly can still take an entire weekend or perhaps a bit longer. Remember, these negotiations involve not only Allen and his agent but also the Chiefs. The Vikings must meet Kansas City’s demands.

Rick Spielman, the Vikings’ vice president of player personnel, puts a huge value on draft picks and giving up a couple of early selections isn’t going to be something that gets done without a great deal of thought and conversation between Spielman, owner Zygi Wilf and coach Brad Childress. Wilf talked yesterday about how trading picks is “very tough.”

As of right now the Vikings have no announcements planned for today but stay tuned.

Hopefully he is still there.

GB12
04-19-2008, 03:53 PM
The Vikings would be foolish not to get this done. Luckily for us the Vikings are run by fools so there is hope.

adschofield
04-19-2008, 04:12 PM

Well, I believe today is the deadline to sign an offer sheet, so if they were going to sign Allen and give up 2 1st's, they'd have to do it today

Also, what is a poison pill exactly?

GB12
04-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Also, what is a poison pill exactly?
Clauses that stop the team from matching the offer. Like when Minnesota blocked Seattle from matching Hutchinson's offer by adding that he had to be the highest paid offensive lineman or the entire contract would be guarenteed and that he had to get 13 million guarenteed the first year. Walter Jones would have been higher paid and they didn't have 13 million in cap room so they couldn't match eventhough they wanted to.

Gatz
04-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Even for cover 2 D's, 1st and a 2nd is still too much for Allen imo...

Dr. Gonzo
04-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Allen is arguable the best pass rushing DE in the league and that is by far our biggest need. Sure we are losing two high draft picks but its not like both are sure fire Pro-Bowlers or even good players, which is exactly what Allen is.

Vikes99ej
04-19-2008, 04:31 PM

Not when we have two thirds. We can still get a quality TE, OT, DT, or S in the third and fourth round.

vidae
04-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Just get it done Vikings. Would be best for both parties. Still would hate to see Jared in a different jersey.. but the Vikings have been my sisters favorite team for years so I can sort of root for them (when they're not playing the Chiefs!)

TitleTown088
04-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Just get it done Vikings. Would be best for both parties. Still would hate to see Jared in a different jersey.. but the Vikings have been my sisters favorite team for years so I can sort of root for them (when they're not playing the Chiefs!)

Does she like them because they're purple?

LonghornsLegend
04-19-2008, 05:18 PM

Yea the Vikes have the ammo, they do have extra picks already, Allen is young and can play at an elite level for at least 6 years, and like someone mentioned is their greatest needs...They will spend a 1st on one no matter what, giving up the other pick isnt that much considering the age and talent they get...This is a year the vikes could take the division and make a playoff push, It's worth it in their situation.

Gatz
04-19-2008, 05:41 PM
I guess it makes sense from that standpoint. The vikings are a pass rusher away from being a dominant D on both pass and run and I don't really like this year's prospects, especially the DEs. If you only look at it from a value standpoint, I think a 1st and 2nd is overpaying, but I guess it's worth it for the Vikings, especially considering the circumstances.

vidae
04-19-2008, 06:02 PM
Does she like them because they're purple?

lol I don't know

Packman1957
04-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Oh well if they get'em they will still lose the NFC North.

adschofield
04-19-2008, 07:21 PM
A local radio station in KC said that another team has called KC with interest in Jared Allen..hmm, I wonder who it is...

T-RICH49
04-19-2008, 08:18 PM
A local radio station in KC said that another team has called KC with interest in Jared Allen..hmm, I wonder who it is...

rumor I have heard is NE was interested maybe it's them.also heard Philly is interested.

JagHombre22
04-19-2008, 08:28 PM
could it be the Jaguars?

49ersfan_87
04-19-2008, 08:53 PM
If the Vikings acquire Jared Allen, it would certainly make up for losing out on Justin Smith..

Vikes99ej
04-19-2008, 08:54 PM
If the Vikings let this fall through they are the dumbest ***** in all of history.

LonghornsLegend
04-19-2008, 08:57 PM
rumor I have heard is NE was interested maybe it's them.also heard Philly is interested.

Id cross off NE because they arent in a position to spend two first day picks, and pay top dollar to a lineman, he wouldnt really have a place right now, and they would have no picks left to address LB or Corner...Philly is still in the market for a WR, and another Corner, I doubt they would give up that much for a lineman too...Teams might be interested, I just dont see anyone willing to give up what the Vikes would, unless they just cant agree on contract numbers.

BamaFalcon59
04-19-2008, 09:01 PM
Id cross off NE because they arent in a position to spend two first day picks, and pay top dollar to a lineman, he wouldnt really have a place right now, and they would have no picks left to address LB or Corner...Philly is still in the market for a WR, and another Corner, I doubt they would give up that much for a lineman too...Teams might be interested, I just dont see anyone willing to give up what the Vikes would, unless they just cant agree on contract numbers.

Atlanta sends two high second round picks and a future third to New England for pick 7. The Patriots send those picks to Kansas City for Jared Allen. Atlanta then gets Glenn Dorsey, Matt Ryan, and Pat Lee in the first two rounds. Yes, I like it. Of course we would have not addressed offensive tackle or middle linebacker, but oh well. That is for round three. I would still like it.

GB12
04-19-2008, 09:11 PM
New England doesn't seem to interested in picking in the top ten. They could send number 7 to the Chiefs for Allen and a third. Kansas City could then take an offensive lineman and Matt Ryan. Doubt that would happen though, just thinking.

T-RICH49
04-19-2008, 09:13 PM
New England doesn't seem to interested in picking in the top ten. They could send number 7 to the Chiefs for Allen and a third. Kansas City could then take an offensive lineman and Matt Ryan. Doubt that would happen though, just thinking.

Matt Ryan AND Branden Albert?I would cry tears of joy

BaLLiN
04-19-2008, 09:32 PM
#17, 3rd round pick, 5th round pick = Jared Allen?

vidae
04-19-2008, 09:54 PM
#17, 3rd round pick, 5th round pick = Jared Allen?

I dunno, I'm lovin this 5th and 7th pick talk now, hmm. ;)

The Dynasty
04-19-2008, 10:00 PM
I dunno, I'm lovin this 5th and 7th pick talk now, hmm. ;)

Lets Bring it back down in to Reality now :). lol. I say 1st and early 3rd and 2nd next year and call it a done deal.

Dr. Gonzo
04-19-2008, 10:03 PM
I would just give them what they are asking for, a 1st and 2nd and get them to add a 4th or something. That sounds about right.

vidae
04-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Lets Bring it back down in to Reality now :). lol. I say 1st and early 3rd and 2nd next year and call it a done deal.

Reality.. :( Aww, fine, but Gholston and Albert would have been hot!

Dam8610
04-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Oh well if they get'em they will still lose the NFC North.

Snuh? Vikings + pass rush = Super Bowl contenders

Dr. Gonzo
04-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Snuh? Vikings + pass rush = Super Bowl contenders

You are my new favorite poster.

bored of education
04-19-2008, 10:32 PM
I love you still Gonzo

Dr. Gonzo
04-19-2008, 10:34 PM
I love you still Gonzo

I guess I went too far. He is my second favorite poster, after BOE.

adschofield
04-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Man, thanks for the love, Gonzo

The Dynasty
04-19-2008, 10:42 PM
If anyone was wondering.

VIKES CAN SIGN ALLEN POST-DRAFT
Posted by Mike Florio on April 19, 2008, 11:04 p.m.

Earlier on Saturday, we floated the possibility of the Minnesota Vikings signing Kansas City Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen to an offer sheet after the 2008 draft. If the Chiefs choose not to match the offer, they would be stuck with the Vikings’ first-round draft picks in 2009 and 2010.

Several readers asked whether such a move would be permissible, citing the Friday, April 18 deadline for signing players to offer sheets. Though vague, the CBA seemed to indicate that the pre-draft deadline applies only to restricted free agents, and not to franchise players. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed for us that there is no pre-draft deadline for signing franchise players to offer sheets.

Thus, if the Vikings believe that the team is going to be a solid contender over the next few years in a so-so NFC North (especially after Brett Favre’s retirement), why not make the run at Allen after the draft? The first-round picks in 2009 and 2010 will be low.

They’ll be even lower if the players whom the Vikes land in a 2008 draft that is deep but not top-heavy become solid contributors.

In our view, it’s a no-brainer. The Vikings should sign Allen to an offer sheet with a poison pill the moment after exercising the 17th overall selection in round one.

Eagles own the NFC East
04-19-2008, 11:43 PM

Not if we traded Lito Sheppard for him...

Zbikowski_9
04-20-2008, 12:30 AM
http://www.startribune.com/spo...s/17945759.html

This is crap...... he is on his way to Tampa

It is not that Minni is out of the running, but it does give Tampa a chance to offer more money to Allen and gain his preference, however, i doubt that will sway the Cheifs decision. I just can't see Tampa giving up more picks than what we can offer.

My real worry is that it could then start to escalate and see teams like the Jags have a sniff around.

Time will tell, but it makes you wonder if the Cheifs are going to wait till draft time to make the decision, with the avalibility of a targeted player at 17 being a crucial factor, and if there is no one of value they might deal with Tampa and grad Ghosder, and stockpile picks next year or get theri second - or ditto with the Jags.

JagHombre22
04-20-2008, 12:32 AM
well...since he'll be in Florida...come on Jaguars...at least bring him in for a visit...

Scotty D
04-20-2008, 12:46 AM
Mistake to let him leave Minnesota. I think Tampa still has a ton of cap left. Put most of that signing bonus on this years.

The Dynasty
04-20-2008, 12:49 AM
Maybe this will light the fire under Spielman to get this deal done. Probably Not lol.

Zbikowski_9
04-20-2008, 01:07 AM
It seems that the Chiefs want to draw this out as long as possible to start a bidding war, however, it could backfire if a player the Vikes like falls to them at 17 and the Bucs realize that they already drafted a RE with the 4th pick last year.

If Chris Long falls to the Chiefs at 5 (which i said possible a week ago and got slammed for my stupidity - only to see that Scott now has him at 6 - funny it is not so stupid anymore) and the Chiefs take him in anticipation of dealing Allen to the highest bidder, they may have to deal him at a lower value due to the reasons above.

I know names like the Jags, NE, and Panthers are being thrown around - but they are hardley likley seeing as though there has been no meeting set up after all this time with days till the draft.

If he is not wearing purple he will wear red next year, and i don't think it will be Tampa red.
I can see the Chiefs getting greedy and Allen signing his tender on the provisal that it can not be put on him next year and then he will hit the market and Kansas gets nothing.

The best situation for all teams is to continue negotiations with the Vikes, see what Tampa is willing to do and have Allen dealt within the next 3 to 4 days max, coz a deal this complicated with picks, big money and the DUI baggage will not be made with any other teams during draft day without going through the process that Minni has

vidae
04-20-2008, 02:22 AM
I think Jared Allen will be dealt before the draft. Sometime this week. Someone will give us what we're asking. It just takes time. This might also spur Minnesota to giving us what we want.

Dam8610
04-20-2008, 08:13 AM
well...since he'll be in Florida...come on Jaguars...at least bring him in for a visit...

Let's have none of that now. Continue to stay cheap Wayne Weaver.

eazyb81
04-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Thus, if the Vikings believe that the team is going to be a solid contender over the next few years in a so-so NFC North (especially after Brett Favre’s retirement), why not make the run at Allen after the draft? The first-round picks in 2009 and 2010 will be low.

They’ll be even lower if the players whom the Vikes land in a 2008 draft that is deep but not top-heavy become solid contributors.

In our view, it’s a no-brainer. The Vikings should sign Allen to an offer sheet with a poison pill the moment after exercising the 17th overall selection in round one.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks Minny would be getting a steal by doing this. Two 1st round picks is two 1st round picks - I don't think anyone in KC's camp would be crying about this deal. Having this deal would be fantastic for a team starting a full rebuilding effort.

JagHombre22
04-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Let's have none of that now. Continue to stay cheap Wayne Weaver.

haha....ain't that the truth....

I really am tired of Weaver being a cheap ass...I mean he has come off the money a bit in giving JDR and Garrard new big contracts but we still don't have a superstar (MJD is getting there) on offense nor defense...at least get someone who can single handedly change a game....

The Dynasty
04-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Just saw this on pft.com

ABSENT TRADE, VIKES “LIKELY” TO SIGN ALLEN AFTER DRAFT
Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2008, 8:47 a.m.
We received a text message and a phone call late Saturday/early Sunday from a league source who shared with us a curious development regarding the Minnesota Vikings’ ongoing efforts to acquire Kansas City Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen.

Per the source, the Vikings are “likely” to sign Allen to an offer sheet after next weekend’s draft, if a “fair” trade can’t be worked out before then.

The move meshes with the idea that came us to like an acorn to a blind squirrel on Saturday. With the Chiefs reportedly wanting a first-round pick and a second-round pick for Allen, why not simply nab Allen with a poison-pilled offer sheet and foist on the Chiefs the Vikings’ first-round picks in 2009 and 2010?

The fact that the Vikes apparenty plan to pursue this tactic is a strong indication that Allen’s visit to the Twin Cities has resulted in an agreement between the player and the Purple regarding the money that will be paid to the NFL’s sack leader in 2008.

But there’s a wild card in this scenario. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are reportedly interested in Allen, and could be squeezed into besting the Vikings’ pre-draft trade offer if the Bucs know that Allen would otherwise be poised to sign a post-draft offer sheet in Minnesota.

Then again, if Allen has made up his mind that he wants to play in the land of 10,000 lakes (but hopefully not 0.10 percent BAC), the Bucs will be out of the picture, and the question will be whether the Vikings get him before the draft, or after it.

A couple of readers have asked us whether the Vikings could sign Allen to an offer sheet right now, since it’s less than seven days before the first day of the draft. But even though a team with a franchise player has up to seven days to decide whether to match an offer sheet that he signs, the team can also decide before the seven days expire to not match it. In this case, doing so would give the Chiefs the Vikings’ first-round picks in 2008 and 2009.

And since the Chiefs would surely prefer to get extra draft picks for Allen right now (especially since G.M. Carl Peterson might not be around to use picks in 2009 and/or 2010), it’ll be critical for the Vikings to dust off the poison pill, if they want to be sure to acquire Allen. Otherwise, the Vikes will have merely negotiated on the Chiefs’ behalf Allen’s long-term contract to stay in Kansas City.

I would totallly be fine with giving up a 1st in 2009 and 2010 if Allen works out we could have 2 Late 1st round Draft picks in the Upcoming years.

yo123
04-20-2008, 11:38 AM
I'm not sure why anyone thinks Minny would be getting a steal by doing this. Two 1st round picks is two 1st round picks - I don't think anyone in KC's camp would be crying about this deal. Having this deal would be fantastic for a team starting a full rebuilding effort.

Two late first round picks most likely, for a player who has proven himself to be an elite player. And we only have to give up two unproven players. It really would work out for both teams, because you get two young players for your rebuilding effort, and we get a proven pass rusher, and the absence of that has been holding us back from being a playoff team.

djp
04-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Two late first round picks most likely, for a player who has proven himself to be an elite player. And we only have to give up two unproven players. It really would work out for both teams, because you get two young players for your rebuilding effort, and we get a proven pass rusher, and the absence of that has been holding us back from being a playoff team.

Well, I mean, two first rounders is kinda crappy because that's why we're all on this site, to see where our favorite team is going with their draft picks.

However, Allen is an elite defensive end in this league, something we haven't had in god knows how long.

I'd do it. We will in all likelihood be a playoff team the next two years if we get Allen, so 20-32 is probably the range they will be in.

eazyb81
04-20-2008, 12:02 PM

Sure, but I still don't get why anyone would think that is an awesome deal. You're giving up two 1st round picks in a league where picks are more valuable than ever. I would be thrilled as a Chiefs fan if that is what Minny decided to do.

And I definitely like Minny's chances over the next few years with Allen, but the addition of Allen doesn't suddenly make them the new version of the New England Patriots. You're still susceptible to having an off year due to injuries and/or lack of production. The NFL is a league of parity after all.

BamaFalcon59
04-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Well, I mean, two first rounders is kinda crappy because that's why we're all on this site, to see where our favorite team is going with their draft picks.

However, Allen is an elite defensive end in this league, something we haven't had in god knows how long.

I'd do it. We will in all likelihood be a playoff team the next two years if we get Allen, so 20-32 is probably the range they will be in.

Never guess on next years record. Trading a future first round pick is so risky. I have used this example before but when Atlanta did it they traded a future first for a current second, ended up with Reggie Kelly and ended up drafting number five overall, where the Ravens took Jamal Lewis.

Vikings4ever
04-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Never guess on next years record. Trading a future first round pick is so risky. I have used this example before but when Atlanta did it they traded a future first for a current second, ended up with Reggie Kelly and ended up drafting number five overall, where the Ravens took Jamal Lewis.

And let's not forget SF trading with NE last year.

BamaFalcon59
04-20-2008, 12:15 PM

Exactly, and in both cases a high draft pick was not expected. The Falcons were coming off of a super bowl loss, and the 49ers were putting it together and had a nice offseason.

T-RICH49
04-20-2008, 12:16 PM
If we get no picks this year for Allen Carl Peterson will need to be shot

LonghornsLegend
04-20-2008, 12:21 PM
But at the same time, 1st rd picks are no sure thing, if one pick ends up a bust, and the other ends up solid, I'd take that for Allen any day of the week, yea maybe both those picks could of panned out, but both could of been bust also, two 1st is valuable but it's well worth it in this scenario.

49ersfan_87
04-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Exactly, and in both cases a high draft pick was not expected. The Falcons were coming off of a super bowl loss, and the 49ers were putting it together and had a nice offseason.

Id say the 49ers trade in 1995 was far worse than the Staley trade.

The 49ers traded a future 1st for the WR who they thought would replace Jerry Rice...that was J.J. Stokes with the 10th pick of 1995. The 49ers picked 26th in 1996, so the 49ers didnt lose much right? They only lost the right to draft HOF LB Ray Lewis with that pick, who the Ravens got.

Its all good now though, we got Ray Lewis Jr. :)

adschofield
04-20-2008, 12:42 PM
To think that the Vikings' 1st in 09 and 10 will be sure-fire late picks is a bit of a risk...Travaris Jackson could easily regress or Peterson could get injuried....I think all of this is posturing though, if TB doesn't offer KC a better offer than MN, KC will blink and give in to Minnesota's demands

adschofield
04-20-2008, 12:44 PM

Exactly, SF is really similar to Minnesota in that both are coming off years where they overachieved...I certainly think it's a gamble for the Vikings

bearsfan_51
04-20-2008, 12:54 PM
You guys are forgetting that the Vikings aren't just negotiating for Allen, they're negotiating for the right to negotiate with Allen. In other words, sure, value-wise Allen is likely to be a better player than either guy the Chiefs would get with those two picks, but the Vikings are also going to have to pony up a ton of money for Allen (8 years-91 million was the number I read earlier). He will likely get paid more than any non-QB in the NFL.

2 first rounders plus 30+ million in guarantees and a 10 mil per year average?

That's not really that big of a steal.

And none of this will matter if Tavaris Jackson continues to be the worst starting QB in the NFL. Or if, not suprisingly, Allen gets another DUI.

vidae
04-20-2008, 01:09 PM
You guys are saying great deal now, but like others have stated, what if the Vikings regress? What if the Vikings have a top 10 pick next year? How will you feel about losing your next two first rounders for that?

It's all speculation, which makes this fun, but I think it'd be in the best interest of the Vikings to give up the picks this year. At least you know where you stand.

Dr. Gonzo
04-20-2008, 01:10 PM
To think that the Vikings' 1st in 09 and 10 will be sure-fire late picks is a bit of a risk...Travaris Jackson could easily regress or Peterson could get injuried....I think all of this is posturing though, if TB doesn't offer KC a better offer than MN, KC will blink and give in to Minnesota's demands

I have said from the beginning that worst case scenario we lose our 09 and 10 1sts. I think the Chiefs really want picks this year so I agree that it is all posturing. Allen may not be a steal if we give up two firsts but I will still be very happy because he is the best player we could hope to get at our biggest position of need.

GB12
04-20-2008, 01:21 PM
He has nothing to regress from

princefielder28
04-20-2008, 01:22 PM

haha so true

Dr. Gonzo
04-20-2008, 01:25 PM

Damn you Packer fans. You will see, by some miracle Jackson will turn into a halfway decent QB.