PDA

View Full Version : Will Roy be traded?

Xiomera
04-23-2008, 08:38 AM
Will we trade Roy Williams either before or during draft weekend?

WMD
04-23-2008, 10:22 AM
For some reason, I'm gonna go Yes.. I'd like to hold on to him, but I think someone might come with an offer that'll be better than we expect. Plus, there's the whole franchising him/resigning him thing that probably won't work out for the best.

Washington already proposed offers for Chad Johnson and Anquan Boldin.. I'd like to think an offer for Roy Williams is next. I just hope we trade him before Draft Day so I don't pass out from the excitement.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Obviously I'm going to say No.

Based on our cap room next year, the ability to franchise/trade next year, what Marinelli has said(who is very straightforward), Roy not actually saying he wanted out like CJ/Boldin, and no rumors of any big offers yet for Roy Williams.

Protect our pretty girl Marinelli. Get rid of those NFC East suitors(who already are stacked and shouldn't be handed an awesome player). Let them find another girl to play with.

Xiomera
04-23-2008, 11:03 AM
I am still holding out hope that Buffalo wants him. #11 would look lovely.

Imagine a draft of Clady and Mendenhall.

Or Derrick Harvey and Jerod Mayo.

Whoa!

woodnick
04-23-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm gonna go yes on this and here's why:

First off I dont want to trade Roy because CJ hasnt proven anything yet and neither have Furrey and McDonald as to life w/o Martz, but the offer for Chad was pretty darn good, but will get better. I think W/ Cincy and AZ taking hardline stances n their players, or better yet Rosenhaus, not forcing trades we have a guy thats pretty darn good also who hasnt complained and is overall a good guy so some team will end up ponying up for him.

Our best bet is for Cincy and Az to continue their approaches on not trading and that will create more of a market for Roy while the offers will just have to continue to get higher. Eventually Wash will make their offer 2 1sts and we'd have to say yes.

Once Wash or Dallas set the market I think 2 of the 3 WRs get traded, Boldin and Roy, and get 2 1sts from Dallas and Wash, w/ Philly left holding their d*** and drafting one w/ a 2nd round pick which they'll get an extra for Lito.

Thats what I'm assuming is going to happen, especially if Buffalo and/or Tampa draft a WR

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-23-2008, 11:24 AM
I am still holding out hope that Buffalo wants him. #11 would look lovely.

Imagine a draft of Clady and Mendenhall.

Or Derrick Harvey and Jerod Mayo.

Whoa!

I think Buffalo is just going to draft a wide receiver so they don't have to worry about another big contract on top of Lee Evans who will be a free agent soon. Pick 11 WR is much cheaper than signing both Roy and Lee Evans.

woodnick
04-23-2008, 11:32 AM
I think Buffalo is just going to draft a wide receiver so they don't have to worry about another big contract on top of Lee Evans who will be a free agent soon. Pick 11 WR is much cheaper than signing both Roy and Lee Evans.

Yeah, I dont see Buffalo going after a top WR. Personally I think they'll go Harvey or Rivers in the 1st and then WR in the 2nd. Or trade down a bit, maybe 19 and get a Lito, and then draft their top rated WR.

SINCE1978
04-23-2008, 12:07 PM
No! No! No!

We (wanna-be GM bloggers/arm chair QB's) are the reason this Roy trade will not die .... he stays put for 07, it's one of the only things Millen has done right.

They franchise him next year if they can not work to sign him to something long term this year. Most respectable teams have a solid 1-2 punch at WR in the league, I hate the arguement that you can not have 2 "#1" receivers on the same team!! We have not even seen what a Calvin-Roy tandum looks like yet, but this year should be our preview. If after that, they don't like the show then Roy at 29 becomes ala Chad Johnson in Cinci right now ... and take note b/c they just turned down a #1 & #2 or 3 conditional for him! Give this one time, it only benefits the Lion's organization and there is not much in that area we can say positive things about since MM took over.

DoWnThEfiElD
04-23-2008, 12:09 PM
I would trade him for a top 20 pick in a heartbeat. He is good but he isn't that good. Plus Kitna is probably the worst deep ball thrower i have ever saw, so we really would not be a able to fulling utilize his talents for a couple years, this is with the asumption that we get a good QB. We just have so many needs that the top 20 pick really could help us address some of those. Like someone said a good LT and a RB, or a good DE and Mayo.

I think any combination of those senarios would be worth it for Roy. Plus that would give us a little extra flexability in the later rounds, were we may even be in a position to take a BPA, instead of focusing soley on a need position.

woodnick
04-23-2008, 12:13 PM
No! No! No!

We (wanna-be GM bloggers/arm chair QB's) are the reason this Roy trade will not die .... he stays put for 07, it's one of the only things Millen has done right.

They franchise him next year if they can not work to sign him to something long term this year. Most respectable teams have a solid 1-2 punch at WR in the league, I hate the arguement that you can not have 2 "#1" receivers on the same team!! We have not even seen what a Calvin-Roy tandum looks like yet, but this year should be our preview. If after that, they don't like the show then Roy at 29 becomes ala Chad Johnson in Cinci right now ... and take note b/c they just turned down a #1 & #2 or 3 conditional for him! Give this one time, it only benefits the Lion's organization and there is not much in that area we can say positive things about since MM took over.

I disagree that this can only benefit the Lion's organization, yeah, maybe we can resign Roy and keep both he and CJ happy, but maybe we can't. If we cant obviously we'll franchise him and continue to resign him, but he'll hold out until he gets it in the franchise deal that he'll play if we cant franchise him again the following year. So now we'll have Roy for 2 yrs and maybe an additional 4 wins, none of which will be getting us to a superbowl, and then we loose him for nothing. IMO if we can get 2 1sts for him than we gotta take it for the future of the franchise. I know we all wanna win now, but we're not gonna be a Roy away from the trophy so why not get 2 core guys for 1? If we cant get 2 1sts or a 1st and 2nd from this year, then I say hold on to him.

wingboy2999
04-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Why isn't there maybe?

woodnick
04-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Why isn't there maybe?

Maybe a chance at gettin to the Superbowl?

wingboy2999
04-23-2008, 12:27 PM
Maybe a chance at gettin to the Superbowl?

There's always a chance!

woodnick
04-23-2008, 12:29 PM
There's always a chance!

Dude, seriously, you're better than that. Thats like saying I have a chance at nailing Giselle Budchen.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-23-2008, 12:53 PM
I disagree that this can only benefit the Lion's organization, yeah, maybe we can resign Roy and keep both he and CJ happy, but maybe we can't. If we cant obviously we'll franchise him and continue to resign him, but he'll hold out until he gets it in the franchise deal that he'll play if we cant franchise him again the following year. So now we'll have Roy for 2 yrs and maybe an additional 4 wins, none of which will be getting us to a superbowl, and then we loose him for nothing. IMO if we can get 2 1sts for him than we gotta take it for the future of the franchise. I know we all wanna win now, but we're not gonna be a Roy away from the trophy so why not get 2 core guys for 1? If we cant get 2 1sts or a 1st and 2nd from this year, then I say hold on to him.

Franchise tag is a good thing. It allows you to keep your best players by extending the amount of time to re-sign him or get something for them. It protects our team. Maybe we can't re-sign Roy. However, I see no cap reason why we can't next year and there is no reason not to think Roy won't have a big trade market, considering the market for Chad and Boldin, plus the age of many good WRs now. Plus Roy having a big year in a contract year. It would be Millen's choice next year. Millen or a new GM hopefully will be making a better informed decision next year. Calvin will have proved more(enough to trade Roy) and Furrey/McDonald will have proved something without Martz. Plus McDonald is a free agent next year too. And just because we get 1st round picks doesn't mean they will pan out, especially a late 1st round pick. It's 1 additional "possible" core player versus 1 "sure thing" at WR. Two 1st round picks always look nice on draft day. But years later, especially with Millen when they become a name and not Pick 22 or Pick 28, do the complaints begin.

wingboy2999
04-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Dude, seriously, you're better than that. Thats like saying I have a chance at nailing Giselle Budchen.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/d00ltaz/dumb07.jpg

SO YOU'RE SAYING THERE'S A CHANCE!!!

Brothgar
04-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Really anyone else believe that Millen is just waiting for 1 of the other 2 big WR targets are traded? This way he doesn't look like he is getting fleeced. I think that is what happened with the Shaun Rogers trade. With the Rams supposedly offering a 2nd. But he waited till one of the other big name DT's got moved and got a better deal (IMO) but I think he is looking for Market value to establish its self then trade Roy. Did anyone notice that it was like a 2 week span where the DTs all went off the board.

wingboy2999
04-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Really anyone else believe that Millen is just waiting for 1 of the other 2 big WR targets are traded? This way he doesn't look like he is getting fleeced. I think that is what happened with the Shaun Rogers trade. With the Rams supposedly offering a 2nd. But he waited till one of the other big name DT's got moved and got a better deal (IMO) but I think he is looking for Market value to establish its self then trade Roy. Did anyone notice that it was like a 2 week span where the DTs all went off the board.

Yeah... but there is NO way you get better then the Washington deal.

Brothgar
04-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Hell I can't argue with that.

wingboy2999
04-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Hell I can't argue with that.

So if he does end up trading him and gets much less.... then he looks like an idiot.

Brothgar
04-23-2008, 01:18 PM
So if he does end up trading him and gets much less.... then he looks like an idiot.

Well not in my eyes but in the eyes of most ... yes.

wingboy2999
04-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Well not in my eyes but in the eyes of most ... yes.

Well, I think it will suck if there was the chance for him to get a 1st and another potential first... and he doesn't get it.

Xiomera
04-23-2008, 01:20 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/d00ltaz/dumb07.jpg

SO YOU'RE SAYING THERE'S A CHANCE!!!

Hey, doesn't that guy post on these forums? I see an clear resemblance . . .

asmitty45
04-23-2008, 05:52 PM
I think he'll get moved, or at least he should.

It'll be a long time until there's this many teams willing to give up a lot of picks for a WR like Roy. I think we'd be smart to move him because his stock may never get higher.

maizenblue6892
04-23-2008, 06:57 PM
will roy be traded huh... well, idk what u guys see happening but i see us moving up to #5 if oakland doesnt take mcfadden. kansas city does NEED a WR you know... think about it. what mcfadden could do for us. think about it this way, would you trade roy williams for darren mcfadden? cuz thats what we would be doing. ik i would!

Brothgar
04-23-2008, 07:03 PM
will roy be traded huh... well, idk what u guys see happening but i see us moving up to #5 if oakland doesnt take mcfadden. kansas city does NEED a WR you know... think about it. what mcfadden could do for us. think about it this way, would you trade roy williams for darren mcfadden? cuz thats what we would be doing. ik i would!

Well you are reallly trading your 1st round pick and roy for McFadden. I'm not willing to do it. Plus we'd have to pay him on top of it the whole reason we are dropping roy is the unlikelihood that we can make this team better and still pay him

wingboy2999
04-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Yeah... no way. No trading Roy and a 1st for McFadden.

maizenblue6892
04-23-2008, 08:03 PM
alright well what if we took away our 1st and said maybe idk a 3rd rounder and roy to trade up to no. 7 (patriots) for mcfadden...?

SINCE1978
04-24-2008, 10:12 AM

I just worry that slappy McMillen is the mastermind behind making those "core guy" picks you speak of above.

SINCE1978
04-24-2008, 10:23 AM

Wow a Dmac to the D twist, interesting ... if you think and act like Millen. The guy melts over any offensive tape of a guy who might score TD's but do we really need to move up to get another offensive weapon? How many 1st round offensive moves has this team made since MM was given control? Every year but Sims I think (Backus, Joey, Roy & Jones, Charles, BMW, Calvin) I mean when will they go defense? (or Oline is acceptable) With the 30th ranked D IMO they should really focus on building IT before going with more flash like Dmack. i.e. Minnesota Vikings.

wingboy2999
04-24-2008, 10:35 AM
I'd rather not make thise even more complicated then it already is and just not entertain the thoughts of trading up with Roy to #7. Because there is no way NE needs/takes Roy.

Prowler
04-27-2008, 07:35 PM
now i'm thinking that with more cap space next year and a few more decent drafts he should be happy where he's at. atleast until kitna's arm falls off, but by then stanton or whoever will be ready. flash some promise of wins and pay him fully and he's set. not too many players away now, more like just time and experiance away.

WMD
04-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Philly has two First Rounders for 2009.. I'd trade Roy for those two firsts! Even though they took DeSean Jackson in Round 2.. He'd be a great compliment to Roy, I say.

Xiomera
04-29-2008, 08:49 AM
Philly has two First Rounders for 2009.. I'd trade Roy for those two firsts! Even though they took DeSean Jackson in Round 2.. He'd be a great compliment to Roy, I say.

Do it! Do it! Wooo :eek:

woodnick
04-29-2008, 11:38 AM

Yeah, I read on ESPN, I think, that it looks as if Philly and Dallas are looking to make a run at Roy next year when he gets franchised. Neither team really adressed their WR issue during the draft or FA and both picked up future picks, Philly 1st in '09 and Dallas 3rd and 4th in '09.

We'll see what happens, a lot should depend on Roy and how he does for us this next year, hopefully really well. Also CJ should impact Roy's future depending on how well he progresses and if Roy has a problem sharing the spotlight, which I dont see happening.

LonghornsLegend
04-29-2008, 11:41 AM
I honestly think thats why both Dallas and Philly were stocking up picks, Philly having the upper hand with 2 first, but we have two 3rds and two 4ths, I think both will make a push...When we didn't trade up for Hardy we were stuck without any options, and I really don't think we want to go into the season with the same WR group.

Seems like he is staying though, doesn't seem like a move Millen is willing to pull the trigger on, so I won't look forward to it happening, but I do think one team or the other will make one more push at trying to make something happen.