PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think so far...

wingboy2999
02-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Hey, I just wanted to see what you guys thought of our draft so far. So far it has looked like this...

1st (#5) - Brady Quinn - QB - Notre Dame
2nd (#34) - Daymein Hughes - CB - Cal
2nd (#38) - Aaron Sears - OG/OT - Tennesse
3rd (#66) - Tim Crowder - DE - Texas
3rd (#77) - David Harris - MLB - Michigan

And on top of that, we brought in Eric Green who can play CB or switch him to safety if we suck that bad. And, although it doesn't affect us now, we got future 3rds and 4ths. We addressed our major areas of needs in QB, MLB, OL, CB and DE. Honestly I think we are doing great and are having, hands down, the best draft out of everyone.

Give me rep damn it!

TacticaLion
02-26-2007, 10:30 PM
The draft would've been PERFECT... had you not have taken Quinn. I'm sorry. On paper, that draft is outstanding. But, as a Lions fan... from a Lions perspective... we did not want a QB and did not need a QB.

Dont get me wrong... having Quinn is great. He might become the next Jesssus. But... I don't want him this year.

So, on paper: A

For the Lions: C+

With that draft, without Quinn, for the Lions: A-

You guys put a lot of work into it, so props for that. Imagine that we took Willis vice Quinn and kept the rest of the picks... i'd give you a freakin A++++++++.

wingboy2999
02-26-2007, 10:47 PM
We were going to try and trade up for Willis but he went before we could and went a lot higher then we could get to.

TacticaLion
02-26-2007, 10:59 PM
We were going to try and trade up for Willis but he went before we could and went a lot higher then we could get to.Ahh... good deal, good deal. As I said, if you take Quinn out of that draft and leave the rest as-is, I like the draft more. Don't ask why... I just didn't want a QB.

WMD
02-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Draft looks very good so far.

Addict
02-27-2007, 03:21 AM
Ahh... good deal, good deal. As I said, if you take Quinn out of that draft and leave the rest as-is, I like the draft more. Don't ask why... I just didn't want a QB.

Yeah I agree. God forbid we'd actually have someone under 35 throwing the ball around. We'd be much better of with a linebacker who bench presses twenty-two times (which, for you information, is less than Quinn managed)

Notredameleo
02-27-2007, 07:24 AM
What is with the hatred towards quinn. He is going to be a heck of a player.

asmitty45
02-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Thats a ridiculously good draft

TacticaLion
02-27-2007, 09:15 AM
Yeah I agree. God forbid we'd actually have someone under 35 throwing the ball around. We'd be much better of with a linebacker who bench presses twenty-two times (which, for you information, is less than Quinn managed)Where were you when Harrington was here? Bringing age into the scenario is funny. Who would you rather have... Harrington or Kitna? I think the answer is simple.

OH NO! Willis only managed to bench 22 times!? (Oh yeah... he also ran a 4.49... must've forgotten that part.) Wow... forget it. He'll drop to the seventh round... right? No. He's an incredible tackler, a great leader, is tough, can blitz and play in coverage. So, I could care less how much he can bench... he is still a great prospect.

You must be one of those fans that feels numbers outweigh talent. Keep thinking it.

TacticaLion
02-27-2007, 09:20 AM
What is with the hatred towards quinn. He is going to be a heck of a player.It isnt hatred. The coaches do not and will not draft a QB in round 1 this year. I'd love to look at this mock and say "Hey, that could be the outcome", but it wont. Hughes? Great pick. Sears? I'll take him. Crowder? Fills a need nicely. Harris? He'll be an upgrade. Quinn? He will not be drafted by the Lions this year.

So, no... it isnt hatred... It just wont happen that way. As Lions fans, we should know this.

Xiomera
02-27-2007, 10:07 AM
Hey, wingboy! What's with taking all the credit? I was the one who made some of those picks. lol

I want my well deserved rep too! I got us Hughes, god damn it!

[sarcasm noted]

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-27-2007, 10:50 AM
As far as Quinn, I like that pick based on the trade. We still got some pretty good players, we replace Bly (saving some cap room), we got a good young player at MLB for the Cover 2, we got a steal at end with a good player in Crowder and we get our future QB because Kitna and Martz will not be around forever. And Quinn was picked at pick 5 saving us some money and is a good player with great college coaching.

I like Sears but I would rather have seen a more athletic left guard type, but I guess they must have been off the board. I see Sears as more of a RG and not RT and I don't think Woody could move to Left guard. Sears is somewhat athletic but he is a big man at 320 and probably shouldn't be pulling that far if you plan on using him at Left Guard. I would think Sears and Woody would be at the same position or one of them would be out of place even though they have experience at other areas. Woody might be cut so Sears would replace him but we still have holes at LG and RT depending what you did in FA IMO. I thought Sears struggled at RT during the Senior Bowl practices so RT competing with Scott isn't the greatest option IMO. Ugoh IMO would be better at Right Tackle or a trade down in that Round and pick up of Beekman would have worked for me.

It might not be realistic as to what the Lions will do on draft day, but maybe it is something the Lions should do if they can make that trade. Everyone has accepted the fact that we shouldn't take a QB, but they are thinking short term because Martz is thinking short term. I know Quinn is falling, but I still think he is a good prospect and should sit a year until we finish building the line.

Did you guys shop McCown at all?

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Daymeion Hughes just ran a 4.7 though. Yikes, maybe not such a great pick early Round 2. It's always better to judge in hindsight.

Xiomera
02-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Daymeion Hughes just ran a 4.7 though. Yikes, maybe not such a great pick early Round 2. It's always better to judge in hindsight.

How would we have known that three days ago?

Addict
02-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Maybe change Hughes into Aaron Ross
(would he still be available @34?)

Xiomera
02-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Maybe change Hughes into Aaron Ross
(would he still be available @34?)

Ross went in round one in the forum mock. Marcus McCauley is working his way back up the boards . . . maybe we could take a look at him.

Addict
02-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Ross went in round one in the forum mock. Marcus McCauley is working his way back up the boards . . . maybe we could take a look at him.

Yeah, he would be my plan B as well, with Ross gone and Hughes being... well kinda slow, McCauley's probably the best corner on board at this point.

Scotty D
02-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Any suggestions for future picks, or positions of need we are missing.

WMD
02-27-2007, 07:58 PM
Stock up on DB's and OL.. I'll recommend my hero, Mansfield Wrotto.

Scotty D
02-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Took Doug Datish with our 4th rounder. Raiola doesn't really have a solid backup, and Datish is a guy who can play every position on the O-line. I would expect him to compete for a starting job at guard.

detroit4life
02-27-2007, 09:25 PM
i like the pick i haven't rly looked hard to see what other good prospects were on the board but datish definitly adds depth to the oline which definitly helps

Scotty D
03-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Took Chris Henry, RB - Arizona with first 5th rounder.

Scotty D
03-02-2007, 06:57 PM
And Joe Newton was my next pick.

P-L
03-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Yes, Hughes is no longer a day one pick. But at the time the pick was made, he was a 1st Round/2nd Round pick. So it's still a great pick.

Xiomera
03-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Took Chris Henry, RB - Arizona with first 5th rounder.

And Joe Newton was my next pick.

Good picks Scotty

wingboy2999
03-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Nice picks there Scotty. Sorry I haven't been around, I'm home on spring break right now.