PDA

View Full Version : Bears looking to trade for Chargers' #27 pick?

Skibow
04-24-2008, 03:26 PM
http://boards.chicagobears.com/forums/thread/979785.aspx
Jeff Dickerson was on ESPN radio earlier talking about the Bears possibly looking into trading for San Diego's 1st round pick #27.....

But he didn't say if they would swap first round picks, which leads me to think the Bears would have 2 first round picks (#14 and #27)....

Keep in mind the Chargers won't have another pick until the 5th round. Bears 44 & 70 or 90 would be enough for 27. But if the Bears plan on keeping #44, then my guess is they have to start with their '09 1st, along with this year's 3rd (SD's original #90) and 4th. To compare, in the last draft SF sent their '08 1st and '07 4th to NE, taking OT Joe Staley @ #28. However the trade was easier for NE to make because SF was still a young team, with a good chance at getting a bad record. Bears might have to give up more, being a more proven, solid team when healthy.

What do you all think of such scenario, and what could the Bears possibly be targetting?

examples:

14: OL
27: Stewart/F. Jones/Flacco/Brohm

14: Rashard Mendenhall
27: Gosder Cherilus/Sam Baker

If the Bears want RB first, then I could see the other first being used for tackle. What's more likely IMO, is securing the Bears future QB. At least 2 or 3 Flacco/Henne/Brohm should be there. By making this trade now, it would save the Bears 1 year of "development" time. Rex would start this year, Kyle next year if the rookie isn't ready, and 2010 the ideal time.

Gay Ork Wang
04-24-2008, 03:32 PM
id love Mendenhall/Cherilus. but OL and Stewart or Flacco/brohm would be nice too. Idk but i dont like to trade up to get Jones.

Skibow
04-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Yeah I'm not feeling too hot about using all those picks on Jones either. Lovie did meet with him though, and he is a good RB so it is (unfortunately) a possibility.

I have a feeling Cherilus won't last until 27 though, I think Steelers will take him.

Gay Ork Wang
04-24-2008, 03:47 PM
I heard Steelers like Groves

BeerBaron
04-24-2008, 03:50 PM
just to piss me off it would probably be:

14. o-line
27. henne

but id love it to be

14. OT
27. RB or OG or even another OT maybe

ThePudge
04-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Henne's stock seems to be through the roof right now. There's no guarantee the Bears could grab him at 27. He'd look good in Chicago though, as would Flacco.

Chad Henne has the buzz right now, with Baltimore and Miami also sniffing around the late twenties looking for a trade up.

Skibow
04-24-2008, 03:57 PM
just to piss me off it would probably be:

27. henne

I might seriously cry. Bazuin and Okwo were bad enough!

I saw a lot of Woodson and Henne this past year, and I'd rather have Woodson late 3rd/4th over Henne in 2nd.

Joeyjr09
04-24-2008, 03:57 PM
Henne's stock seems to be through the roof right now. There's no guarantee the Bears could grab him at 27. He'd look good in Chicago though, as would Flacco.

Chad Henne has the buzz right now, with Baltimore and Miami also sniffing around the late twenties looking for a trade up.

Rumors are that Miami is using Flacco as a smoke screen to try to get a team like Chicago to trade up and take him which would allow one of their guys (Henne, Groves) to fall to them.

btw...You guys are in serious denial if you think Cherilus and Stewart are lasting until 27. Both could go in the top 15 and are likely locks for the top 20. The Eagles are looking to trade up because all the OTs will be gone by their pick at 19.

At 27 you'd likely be looking at Sam Baker.

BeerBaron
04-24-2008, 04:03 PM
I might seriously cry. Bazuin and Okwo were bad enough!

I saw a lot of Woodson and Henne this past year, and I'd rather have Woodson late 3rd/4th over Henne in 2nd.

oh yeah, amen brother. i really liked woodson in the games i saw him in and thought he was going to be the next big QB. i even called home before overtime of the LSU game to tell my brother to watch it and see woodson....

i can't believe how hes fallen though....

and in all i saw of henne, i thought "ok, career backup type guy" so im real shocked to see how hes jumped up to be a first rounder...ugh

BeerBaron
04-24-2008, 04:04 PM

they can take him and have for him for all i care. if henne is a bear in two days time, ill probably just hang my head in shame...

MidwayMonster31
04-24-2008, 05:39 PM
It won't surprise me if Miami ends up with #26 from Jacksonville for Jason Taylor. Hopefully, Atlanta beats the Bears to the punch.

BeerBaron
04-24-2008, 06:12 PM
It won't surprise me if Miami ends up with #26 from Jacksonville for Jason Taylor. Hopefully, Atlanta beats the Bears to the punch.

i would hope so....henne could be a parcells kind of guy i believe...

but he might go for flacco even more.....ugh.....

awfullyquiet
04-24-2008, 06:17 PM
if baltimore and miami want henne and we're at 27. i'd take a few seconds and thirds to make it happen.

sweetness34
04-24-2008, 06:19 PM
oh yeah, amen brother. i really liked woodson in the games i saw him in and thought he was going to be the next big QB. i even called home before overtime of the LSU game to tell my brother to watch it and see woodson....

i can't believe how hes fallen though....

and in all i saw of henne, i thought "ok, career backup type guy" so im real shocked to see how hes jumped up to be a first rounder...ugh

You saw a career backup guy in Chad Henne huh...He was injured for the better part of this year and still had a good season.

I bet you saw the same with Tom Brady too...Or David Gerrard, or Steve Young, or Matt Hasselbeck, etc...

Henne has the tools to be a starting QB in the NFL. He's got great size, big time arm, good pocket presense, he's experienced/proven, and he's got upside. Sure he's inconsistent but that doesn't worry me. I saw him slice and dice a very good Florida defense in the Capital One Bowl on New Year's Day this year. With Pep working on him Chad would be a good looking QB should we take him.

Now frankly I don't care if we grab a QB or not on the first day. My thought is that without an OL no QB will do well on this team. But I'm not sure if Grossman or Orton are the answer long term. I think out of the 2 Rex has a chance but I don't know if JA is willing to take that chance.

sweetness34
04-24-2008, 06:21 PM
i would hope so....henne could be a parcells kind of guy i believe...

but he might go for flacco even more.....ugh.....

Oh shut up lol...Your perspective is why I hate some of the Bear fans I talk to. They ***** and whine over who they want and they throw a fit when they don't get the guy they wanted instead of letting the guy prove himself before you form judgment.

Sure I have an opinion on the players they take but I'm not going to judge them when they get drafted. I go into camp with an open mind about our picks and see how they pan out.

I'm an Illinois fan so I got to see a lot of Henne over his career, he's a player and with the right coaching he could be a stud because he's definitely got the tools.

BeerBaron
04-24-2008, 06:24 PM
You saw a career backup guy in Chad Henne huh...He was injured for the better part of this year and still had a good season.

I bet you saw the same with Tom Brady too...Or David Gerrard, or Steve Young, or Matt Hasselbeck, etc...

Henne has the tools to be a starting QB in the NFL. He's got great size, big time arm, good pocket presense, he's experienced/proven, and he's got upside. Sure he's inconsistent but that doesn't worry me. I saw him slice and dice a very good Florida defense in the Capital One Bowl on New Year's Day this year. With Pep working on him Chad would be a good looking QB should we take him.

Now frankly I don't care if we grab a QB or not on the first day. My thought is that without an OL no QB will do well on this team. But I'm not sure if Grossman or Orton are the answer long term. I think out of the 2 Rex has a chance but I don't know if JA is willing to take that chance.

i wasnt that old when steve young was around and the other guys were all drafted where a career backup belongs. they just outplayed it which does happen....did you see any of those guys being as great as they are? i doubt anyone did...but they found the right opportunity and ran with it.

and floridas defense wasnt good in that bowl game....they were very young iirc and michigan was playing with house money since it was carr's last game. teams always go all out in them...

and i live in big 10 country, i usually saw at least part of the michigan game about every week for the past.....many years. i saw henne before this year and i saw henne this year. the guy i saw was a career backup at best.

and i just dont buy this leadership stuff. Real leaders don't lead their team into the vicious jaws of their greatest rival year in and year out. Real leaders don't let their team overlook the D1AA App States of the world.

I don't want this guy anywhere near the bears. He's just going to handcuff us grossman style while we're forced to give him his due chance as a high draft pick over the next several years and i die a little inside as my life, and the careers of guys like urlacher, just go to waste with the ****** QB play henne will bring us during his reign

sweetness34
04-24-2008, 06:25 PM
I know 51 is high on Woodson and I like him as well, but it makes me chuckle if you think Andre will be easier to mold than Chad. I saw a lot of Woodson as well this year and was very underwhelmed. He did not progress like I thought he would.

BeerBaron
04-24-2008, 06:28 PM
I know 51 is high on Woodson and I like him as well, but it makes me chuckle if you think Andre will be easier to mold than Chad. I saw a lot of Woodson as well this year and was very underwhelmed. He did not progress like I thought he would.

woodson performed light years better against LSU and their national champion defense than what ive ever seen out of a guy like henne or even matt ryan (who has a whopping 4 minutes of a great game leading his charge....)

sweetness34
04-24-2008, 06:30 PM
i wasnt that old when steve young was around and the other guys were all drafted where a career backup belongs. they just outplayed it which does happen....did you see any of those guys being as great as they are? i doubt anyone did...but they found the right opportunity and ran with it.

and floridas defense wasnt good in that bowl game....they were very young iirc and michigan was playing with house money since it was carr's last game. teams always go all out in them...

and i live in big 10 country, i usually saw at least part of the michigan game about every week for the past.....many years. i saw henne before this year and i saw henne this year. the guy i saw was a career backup at best.

and i just dont buy this leadership stuff. Real leaders don't lead their team into the vicious jaws of their greatest rival year in and year out. Real leaders don't let their team overlook the D1AA App States of the world.

I don't want this guy anywhere near the bears. He's just going to handcuff us grossman style while we're forced to give him his due chance over the next several years and i die a little inside as my life, and the careers of guys like urlacher, just go to waste with the ****** QB play henne will bring us.

Florida's defense was ridiculously talented last year. Were they young? Yes, but damn good.

Give the guy some credit for raping the hell out of a tough SEC team, geeze. And that's my point, you can't predict a guys future in the NFL...Some flourish, others don't. Why not give Henne a chance before you throw him under the bus?

This is why YOU are on your computer typing up what YOU think and not a GM in the NFL. Gotta love fan GM's that think they could run a team.

There's a reason why Henne is the hot name right now amongst QB's and that's because other GM's see what I saw from him at Michigan, a damn good looking prospect that has a chance to be a very, very good NFL QB given time.

regoob2
04-24-2008, 06:31 PM
woodson performed light years better against LSU and their national champion defense than what ive ever seen out of a guy like henne or even matt ryan (who has a whopping 4 minutes of a great game leading his charge....)Woodson had that one elite game. Henne's career > Woodson's career.

sweetness34
04-24-2008, 06:32 PM
woodson performed light years better against LSU and their national champion defense than what ive ever seen out of a guy like henne or even matt ryan (who has a whopping 4 minutes of a great game leading his charge....)

And he underperformed against lesser teams, so what does that tell you? Is he a good leader because they lost to teams they shouldn't have?

Woodson is highly, highly inconsistent right now and you're telling me you like him better than a guy like Henne who is more proven and who is more consistent? GMAB man.

To say Henne is a future backup is just laughable when he's being considered in the first ******* round right now. Now I understand you like other QB's better as prospects, that's your own opinion but seriously man, the Henne bashing is hilarious right now.

sweetness34
04-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Woodson had that one elite game. Henne's career > Woodson's career.

Exactly, thank you very much.

BeerBaron
04-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Woodson had that one elite game. Henne's career > Woodson's career.

hennes offensive support > woodsons offensive support

SEC top to bottom > Big 10 top to bottom (theyre bottom is rather low...)

and to sweetness, i may not be an NFL GM but what makes your opinion better than mine? in what ive seen of henne, i dont like him.

and in the woodson vs. henne debate, id take woodson in the 4th or even 3th in a heartbeat vs. henne late first where we will probably have to be in order to take him

regoob2
04-24-2008, 06:36 PM
hennes offensive support > woodsons offensive support

SEC top to bottom > Big 10 top to bottom (theyre bottom is rather low...)

and to sweetness, i may not be an NFL GM but what makes your opinion better than mine? in what ive seen of henne, i dont like him.

and in the woodson vs. henne debate, id take woodson in the 4th or even 3th in a heartbeat vs. henne late first where we will probably have to be in order to take himI agree I'd prefer Woodson in t late 3rd or 4th over Henne in the 2nd but I think Henne is better than Woodson. I don't think Woodson would be a good fit.

sweetness34
04-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Why don't you like Henne? Because he lost to App. State? That falls more on the coaches than the players not getting them focused. Because he was inconsistent? Woodson was night and day when he played this year. Great one week, horrible the next.

Henne was hurt his entire Senior season yet he still put up some pretty big numbers.

sweetness34
04-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Keep in mind that I like Woodson too but right now and down the road I like Chad better.

My point is this, why ***** and moan about taking a guy when he's yet to have a chance to prove himself? Give the guy a chance.

I bet you said the same thing about Mike Brown, Charles Tillman, and Devin Hester in the 2nd Round too huh and look how they panned out.

Fine, you don't agree with a pick, so what...Let things play out and see what happens instead of jumping off a bridge on Saturday.

BeerBaron
04-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Why don't you like Henne? Because he lost to App. State? That falls more on the coaches than the players not getting them focused. Because he was inconsistent? Woodson was night and day when he played this year. Great one week, horrible the next.

Henne was hurt his entire Senior season yet he still put up some pretty big numbers.

i stand by my earlier statement that i prefer woodson in the 3rd-4th over henne in the late 1st.

is henne better than woodson? based on his college career one would have to say yes, theres really no choice there. but in terms of the investment that would have to be made (money, draft pick) id prefer woodson. plus i think woodson has incredible upside.

in what i saw of henne, i just don't think i understand where people come from when they say hes a great leader, top intangibles, etc, etc. Watching him play, i thought career backup kind of guy.....ive since been proven wrong in terms of where hed be drafted since then

maybe ive been overexposed to henne, i dont know. i just know i don't agree with the player i saw being a late first round draft choice

if we take him on draft day, we're stuck with him and ill have to accept it and pray im wrong about him. but id rather not take the risk....

regoob2
04-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Keep in mind that I like Woodson too but right now and down the road I like Chad better.

My point is this, why ***** and moan about taking a guy when he's yet to have a chance to prove himself? Give the guy a chance.

I bet you said the same thing about Mike Brown, Charles Tillman, and Devin Hester in the 2nd Round too huh and look how they panned out.

Fine, you don't agree with a pick, so what...Let things play out and see what happens instead of jumping off a bridge on Saturday.
lol, I was so pissed when we took Hester. Kick returner are you kidding me!!

BeerBaron
04-24-2008, 06:43 PM
lol, I was so pissed when we took Hester. Kick returner are you kidding me!!

when i saw him in college i wanted him. that was when miami was trying him out as a receiver and i even said on the message board i was on at the time that think he could be good in the pros.

a little surprised when we drafted him but i wasnt upset

regoob2
04-24-2008, 06:45 PM
My fav was Jimmy Williams DB Vtech. I think he'll turn it around in Atl.

bearfan
04-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Who needs Henne, or Woodson when you can have JOSH JOHNSON BABY

regoob2
04-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Who needs Henne, or Woodson when you can have JOSH JOHNSON BABYThe bears do.

Joeyjr09
04-24-2008, 07:35 PM
if baltimore and miami want henne and we're at 27. i'd take a few seconds and thirds to make it happen.

Why on earth would to trade up to 27, just to trade back down with Miami?

Plus I doubt Miami gives you a 2nd or 3rd just to go up from 32 to 27.

The difference between the number 32 and 27 is 90 points, Miami's 4th rounder is worth 100 points in the TVC. No way you even get 1 additional 2nd to make that move, much less a few.

bearfan
04-24-2008, 08:01 PM
The bears do.

Haha I was kidding, you know trying to lighten the mood here.

But from all that I read, I would love to have Josh Johnson. I have also heard nothing but good from Oconnell too, so if we are looking for a QB at the end of round 3, beginning or round 4, I hope that we take one of the sorta sleepers/not from big school players

And why would we take Henne w/ the 27th? Take Brohm if we go QB high, I think he could be a very solid player at the position.

Smokey Joe
04-24-2008, 08:01 PM
you won't see any team spend a 1st rounder on Taylor...

and now that it has been official that Jake Long is the pick, Miami has no intentions of moving Taylor. If the drafted the other Long or Gholston, then yeah, they'd probably be looking to move Taylor.