PDA

View Full Version : Let the speculation begin

Meta4
04-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Brett Favre repeated today that he has retired from pro football but admitted to TV host David Letterman that as the Packers’ training camp gets close, “something’s bound to happen."

Dressed in jeans, a button-down shirt and a tan blazer for a taping of CBS' "Late Show" to be broadcast tonight, Favre was evasive when Letterman asked what he meant by the comment.

“I don’t know,” Favre said. “Did I just say that?”

“You just said ‘something’s bound to happen,’ so this makes me think you’re not retired,” Letterman said.

“Butterflies, so – I don’t know, something’s bound to happen,” Favre said.

When Favre said he wouldn’t miss minicamps, Letterman asked him if he would be interested in playing if adjustments could be made for his summer training schedule.

“Can you get that worked?” Favre asked.

“Yes, yes, I can. I can take care of that,” Letterman replied, and the audience laughed and applauded.

But the conversation then focused on Favre’s successor Aaron Rodgers (“I think he’ll do well:” Favre) and the impact of Favre’s retirement on Green Bay.

“But you, you’re not only the heart and soul of football, but my God, what have you, you’ve turned that town upside down,” Letterman said. “What is Green Bay doing? I heard they’re shutting down the town. I heard they’re closing up and they’re moving to Michigan.”

Letterman used the occasion of Favre’s visit to hold up a case of the new EA Sports Madden ’90 Xbox 360 game, with Favre on the cover.”

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080424/PKR01/80424189/1058&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

Boston
04-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Brett Favre FTW!

GB12
04-24-2008, 07:10 PM
Hey, can't you, ya know wait until it airs before you post this.

Meta4
04-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Sorry for the spoiler. I probably should have put a warning in the topic heading.

TitleTown088
04-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Hey, can't you, ya know wait until it airs before you post this.

Don't read it if you don't want an spoilers.

Also,are you aware you credited yourself in your own signature?

neko4
04-24-2008, 07:20 PM
yeah, but i still dont think favre comes back unless a-rod gets seriously hurt

Nitschke-Hawk
04-24-2008, 08:31 PM
People talk about leaders in sports that say things to take away attention from their players. A Manager/Coach like Ozzie Guillen, other guys that say off the wall things to redirect attention. Favre talking every now and then can be a benefit for our team.

Also, you should change begin to continue, because people haven't stopped speculating.

TheGreatEscape
04-24-2008, 08:33 PM
I think come TC Favre won't be ableto stay away, leaving as the beaten miserble wreck he was after the NFC title game. Although he may have finally been broken because he was defeated in that game, which shocked me, I love the favre of old but against the giants he just looked like he was done.

djp
04-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Not like anyone was going to watch Letterman anyways

mqtirishfan
04-24-2008, 09:18 PM
People talk about leaders in sports that say things to take away attention from their players. A Manager/Coach like Ozzie Guillen, other guys that say off the wall things to redirect attention. Favre talking every now and then can be a benefit for our team.

Also, you should change begin to continue, because people haven't stopped speculating.

But Ozzie also happens to be an absolutely awful manager.

mqtirishfan
04-24-2008, 09:18 PM

I am, just to see Favre.

Brent
04-24-2008, 09:50 PM
EA Sports Madden ’09 Xbox 360 game, with Favre on the cover.”
So how will the cover curse effect him? Is he going to like blow his knee out getting out of bed or something?

Nitschke-Hawk
04-24-2008, 09:55 PM
But Ozzie also happens to be an absolutely awful manager.

lol. I won't turn this into a debate but the only thing I don't like about his managing is pulling starting pitchers too soon sometimes. He wins games. They were awful last year and he can't hit/pitch for them.

Its a good show during the first half of it and if his guests are good then its really good the whole time. Some people don't like corky random humor but I like it so that's why I like his show.

Nitschke-Hawk
04-24-2008, 11:49 PM
It was a good show. I like Tina Fey but Brett should have had those first two segments and not 1. Or had them on different days. Brett Favre is a bigger star than Fey but she's promoting her movie so I guess that's why she gets the nod.

Vikes99ej
04-25-2008, 12:07 AM
He's just playing to the crowd. It'd be pretty boring if he just denied and avoided everything.

mqtirishfan
04-25-2008, 03:14 PM
lol. I won't turn this into a debate but the only thing I don't like about his managing is pulling starting pitchers too soon sometimes. He wins games. They were awful last year and he can't hit/pitch for them.

I simply cannot consider someone who hit Posednik and Erstad 1-2 in the line-up a good manager. That's all I have to say about Ozzie in this thread. I do frequent the MLB thread, though.

As for Favre, I'm pumped he's on the cover.

TitleTown088
04-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Well, that's over... http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d807f922c&template=with-video&confirm=true

Byrd430
04-25-2008, 10:09 PM
I hope Favre doesn't come back. And Packers fans shouldn't either. Not saying that he's not one of the top QBs in the game, now or all-time. But if he retires, he should stay retired. If he chose to come back, he should give it his all. I know it's gotta be a tough adjustment for him. But he shouldn't hurt his career or his team by coming back. Green Bay knew this day would come one day. Now they've got to move forward with A-Rod (and in my opinion, Brian Brohm...)

Vikes99ej
04-25-2008, 10:35 PM
This isn't the last we're going to hear about this. He's going to be dancing around the issue long into the summer.