PDA

View Full Version : Bears' 2008 Draft

Pages : [1] 2

Geo
04-26-2008, 08:16 AM
The 2008 Draft is finally here!

It's Draft weekend, and best of luck to the Chicago Bears in finding good players to help the team for the future.

Discuss the event here.

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 09:51 AM
I select you Geo.

Geo
04-26-2008, 09:55 AM
You're better off with Sexy Rexy.

Think the Bears could pull the trigger on Devin Thomas if the right lineman isn't there? Or perhaps RB?

BeerBaron
04-26-2008, 11:43 AM
You're better off with Sexy Rexy.

Think the Bears could pull the trigger on Devin Thomas if the right lineman isn't there? Or perhaps RB?

RB is more likely...but I think they'll come out of it with an OT, even if its a reach for Gosder

awfullyquiet
04-26-2008, 11:54 AM
eh. right now it's a crap shoot onto what we can only hope...

linemen will still probably happen. and i don't think it'll be clady.

Gay Ork Wang
04-26-2008, 11:59 AM
im gonna cry if we go QB in the first

sweetness34
04-26-2008, 12:12 PM
im gonna cry if we go QB in the first

I doubt we do, not with all the Henne buzz in the first right now. Angelo never, never trades up....Ryan will be gone and there's talk about Henne in the top 10 now.

Gay Ork Wang
04-26-2008, 12:19 PM
imagine we reach for henne...

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 12:30 PM
We really need to hope that the Saints don't trade up to 5 to select Dorsey (assuming the first 4 fall as projected). I think the best case scenario is the Chiefs staying at 5 and drafting Dorsey. Falling back to 10 would almost guarantee that they'd take an offensive lineman, and we need as few people picking lineman as possible.

Another interesting note is Mayock saying that some teams are taking Chris Williams off their boards entirely due to concerns about his neck. I've never been a big Chris Williams fan anyway, so that doesn't mean much to me.

BeerBaron
04-26-2008, 12:37 PM
imagine we reach for henne...

<shiver>

We really need to hope that the Saints don't trade up to 5 to select Dorsey (assuming the first 4 fall as projected). I think the best case scenario is the Chiefs staying at 5 and drafting Dorsey. Falling back to 10 would almost guarantee that they'd take an offensive lineman, and we need as few people picking lineman as possible.

Another interesting note is Mayock saying that some teams are taking Chris Williams off their boards entirely due to concerns about his neck. I've never been a big Chris Williams fan anyway, so that doesn't mean much to me.

i still like chris....he hasnt missed a game in the past 3 years. i wont say that the injury concerns arent there, especially if theyre with his neck, but don't you think a guy should show signs of an injury on the field a little before taking him off of your draft board?

anyway.....for me, worst case scenario and clady, williams and albert are all gone....id like to take gosder. at least get a RT for the next decade who we won't have to worry about them moving to LT (like we would with otah and i dont see him play him there...)

Smokey Joe
04-26-2008, 12:49 PM
My ideal draft would look a little something like:

1-014) OT Ryan Clady, Boise St.
2-044) QB Joe Flacco, Delaware
3-070) RB Matt Forte, Tulane
3-090) OG Kerry Brown, App. St.
4-110) DT Andre Fluellen, Florida St.
5-142) OL Drew Radovich, Southern Cal.
6-175) FS Haruki Nakamura, Cincinnati
7-222) TE Adam Bishop, Nevada
7-243) FB Carl Stewart, Auburn
7-247) WR Robert Jordan, California
7-248) WR Todd Blythe, Iowa St.

Another ideal situation would be trading up to 11 and selecting Albert, if he's there.

regoob2
04-26-2008, 01:00 PM
My ideal draft would look a little something like:

1-014) OT Ryan Clady, Boise St.
2-044) QB Joe Flacco, Delaware
3-070) RB Matt Forte, Tulane
3-090) OG Kerry Brown, App. St.
4-110) DT Andre Fluellen, Florida St.
5-142) OL Drew Radovich, Southern Cal.
6-175) FS Haruki Nakamura, Cincinnati
7-222) TE Adam Bishop, Nevada
7-243) FB Carl Stewart, Auburn
7-247) WR Robert Jordan, California
7-248) WR Todd Blythe, Iowa St.

Another ideal situation would be trading up to 11 and selecting Albert, if he's there.
That would be unreal!

BeerBaron
04-26-2008, 01:04 PM
that would be pretty decent smokey. i like the nakamura mention, lol

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Cherilus isn't going to go before Otah. That just simply is not going to happen. I personally don't think Williams goes before Otah either, unless the Broncos or Panthers are really impressed with him.

It wouldn't suprise me to see Cherilus fall to the top of the 2nd, although I personally am a fan.

BeerBaron
04-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Cherilus isn't going to go before Otah. That just simply is not going to happen. I personally don't think Williams goes before Otah either, unless the Broncos or Panthers are really impressed with him.

It wouldn't suprise me to see Cherilus fall to the top of the 2nd, although I personally am a fan.

i just say gosder because there wouldnt be any temptation to move him to LT in the future. if someone guranteed me that otah would stay at RT, then id prefer him, but i think there would be too much temptation to kick him over....and i just dont see him working there...

but the draft so far has been good for the bears! im hoping those OTs stick around...

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Oh that Ravens-Jaguars trade is perfect. Let's really hope that the Pats take a corner at 10 and nobody trades with Buffalo above us. Things are looking for good for us!!!

regoob2
04-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Oh that Ravens-Jaguars trade is perfect. Let's really hope that the Pats take a corner at 10 and nobody trades with Buffalo above us. Things are looking for good for us!!!I was just thinking that every OL is available.

BeerBaron
04-26-2008, 03:16 PM
one of clady, willliams or albert will be there for us barring buffalo doing something that would screw it up....

if they take a CB or WR, one of clady, albert or williams should be there for us...happiness!!

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Yeah, this is perfect. Even if someone trades with Buffalo we will get one of Albert/Clady/Otah/Williams.

Go Bears!!!

BeerBaron
04-26-2008, 03:17 PM
please buffalo....dont trrade down with philly....please please please

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 03:25 PM
BeerBaron you're making a huge assumption that the Bears would take Williams over Otah. Otah fits our style better and is the higher rated prospect by the majority.

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Woot. That's what I like to see. Thank you Carolina.

BeerBaron
04-26-2008, 03:38 PM
williams!! yes!! great start to my draft day...

i wouldn't have been too upset with albert either.

to 51: LT williams over RT in otah i guess

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Ok I was wrong. ****. Not a fan of Williams. He better start toughening up and not playing like such a softy. At least we can move Tait over to the right side though. One spot left on the line, maybe Beekman can fill it.

regoob2
04-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Edit: I'm liking the Chris Williams pick now. :)

Geo
04-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Excellent pick by the Bears, personally I like Chris Williams much more than boom-or-bust (and I favor the latter) Ryan Clady. Williams starts at left tackle from day one imo, he's good stuff.

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm fine with Williams, I would have liked any of them, but Williams is my least favorite.

The Albert pass is fine by me, I think a lot of people were overrating him, and that's showing itself so far. Maybe the Chiefs take him here, or Otah.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-26-2008, 03:44 PM
The Bears never had any interest in Otah.

The George Foster comparisons were often mentioned in the war room. He was far down the board.

I would have felt much better going after Albert.. Not a fan of Williams at all.

SFbear
04-26-2008, 03:45 PM
The neck injury rumors surfacing today are not making me feel good about this pick but if healthy Williams can step in right away and not get Grossman killed(hopefully).

This is just further proof that the Chicago Bears do not get off the bus running. Williams is purely a pass blocker. I think we will regret passing on Albert.

Gay Ork Wang
04-26-2008, 03:52 PM
I just think the FO didnt want to deal with the project. If it didnt turn out as expect, he would be a guard, and great guards can be found later IMO

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 04:00 PM
Oh my gosh, I've never been so happy to be wrong. Cherilus at 17? You so silly Matt Millen.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-26-2008, 04:07 PM
You gotta hand it to Millen.. He is consistent.

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 04:12 PM
We could trade our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to the Cowboys at 22 to get Rashard Mendenhall.

I'm not sure we can do it with our needs, but I would consider it.

26th to the Texans without the 4th.

regoob2
04-26-2008, 04:37 PM
We could trade our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to the Cowboys at 22 to get Rashard Mendenhall.

I'm not sure we can do it with our needs, but I would consider it.

26th to the Texans without the 4th.I was just talking about that with my friend. I'm liking the Chris Williams pick. He is a good LT and has good size for LT, yes he has to get nastier but he can learn that I believe.

BeerBaron
04-26-2008, 04:38 PM
do you think if mendenhall were to keep falling, we would trade back up for him? i wouldn't be against it....

i doubt he falls past pitt or seattle though...

BeerBaron
04-26-2008, 04:45 PM
well, forget the mendenhall idea, lol

Gay Ork Wang
04-26-2008, 04:48 PM
A 1st Round Graded WR could fall to our pick...what r we gonna do then? Brian Brohm maybe?

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 04:55 PM
There are still 19 picks to go. I can't imagine that Sweed or Devin Thomas will fall that far. Or probably not James Hardy either.

I think we'll probably go the predictable route, try to trade down and if not take the highest offensive player on our board (Henne, Charles?)

Gay Ork Wang
04-26-2008, 05:12 PM
hey at least we didnt do sth stupid like the Ravens did...wtf? they traded down for an apple and than gave that apple away for Flacco?

Gay Ork Wang
04-26-2008, 05:27 PM
All the WRs are still on the board...

SFbear
04-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Brace yourselves for JA's traditional 2nd round WTF! pick.

BeerBaron
04-26-2008, 05:40 PM
dammit miami....you were supposed to save me from chad henne

regoob2
04-26-2008, 05:51 PM
im hoping we can bring in limas sweed

xspikex
04-26-2008, 06:06 PM
I think we're gonna pick Matt Forte..

regoob2
04-26-2008, 06:09 PM
I think that would be stupid with the talent that is still available. Sweed, Jackson, Hardy, Brohm, Henne.

xspikex
04-26-2008, 06:11 PM
I agree, but I just have this feeling that Jerry's gonna pick Forte early.

Gay Ork Wang
04-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Pls Sweed or Forte!

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Phew...tons of options here.

Sweed, Brohm, Jackson (not likely), Henne, Charles, Forte, Ray Rice, who knows?

Good stuff. I would have liked Rachal though.

Gay Ork Wang
04-26-2008, 06:31 PM
yeah no QB!

sweetness34
04-26-2008, 06:32 PM
It's Forte, good pick.

BeerBaron
04-26-2008, 06:32 PM
<relief> FORTE!!! </relief>

i was so worried.....i was choking down my pizza ugh......

Bearsfan123
04-26-2008, 06:34 PM
i hate the pick.

Williams was good
Forte isnt competition for Benson.
Brohm would have been comp for Orton and Grossman.
I strongly dislike Angelo right now.

regoob2
04-26-2008, 06:34 PM
How the **** can we go Forte over Sweed

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Sweed got passed over by a ton of teams. Donnie Avery, Jordy Nelson, and Eddie Royal all went before him.

That should probably say something. Just because Scott's rankings have him somewhere does mean that NFL personel do. Obviously they don't.

regoob2
04-26-2008, 06:38 PM
I am ******* on fire right now with these stupid ass 2nd round picks. Starting WR > back up 2 down back.

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 06:41 PM
And Forte is definately competition for Benson. I'm not a huge Forte fan, but you can't argue with his production, toughness, and competitiveness. If anything he's the anti-Benson. I don't think he's a special back, but he's a very good fit for what we need right now.

xspikex
04-26-2008, 06:41 PM
I knew it!

I like him alot, I just think we could have moved down quite a bit and still got him.

Gay Ork Wang
04-26-2008, 06:43 PM
idk i like Forte, i just feel like Sweed could become a Dwayne Jarrett

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you liked Dwayne Jarrett and Mike Williams too....

dabears10
04-26-2008, 06:44 PM
You mean forte is Adrian Peterson..?
I'm actually okay with the pick, probably would rather have Sweed.

Gay Ork Wang
04-26-2008, 06:48 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you liked Dwayne Jarrett and Mike Williams too....
i kind of liked Dwayne Jarrett

regoob2
04-26-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you liked Dwayne Jarrett and Mike Williams too....So every big receiver that falls is Jarrett or Mike Williams?? Why didn't you say Boldin, Brandon Marshall, or Colston?

sweetness34
04-26-2008, 06:54 PM
I am ******* on fire right now with these stupid ass 2nd round picks. Starting WR > back up 2 down back.

Shut the **** up, seriously. How do you know Sweed is a starting WR? He has wrist problems and a ton of teams have passed over him.

Did you work out Sweed? Did you interview Sweed? I'm pretty sure the Bears did.

Now I liked Rice and Charles more than Forte personally but this is a competition pick and it's telling Benson to get his ass in gear. I agree that he's probably not a feature back but he's a solid pick, and again this is a wake up call for Cedric.

"I am ******* on fire" you sound like a 3 year old that didn't get the toy they wanted at the store.

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 06:57 PM
So every big receiver that falls is Jarrett or Mike Williams?? Why didn't you say Boldin, Brandon Marshall, or Colston?
No, my point is that there are far too many Bears fans (or NFL fans in general) that just look at Mel Kiper or Scott's rankings and assume that is the best move for their teams. We needed a runningback to compete for a starting spot. Forte can do that. He was a 2nd round back. Obviously there are a ton of teams passing on Sweed. Maybe (just maybe), they know something that you don't. There were a ton of Bears fans pissed about passing on Jarrett and Williams too.

sweetness34
04-26-2008, 06:58 PM
All Bear fans do is *****, *****, *****, *****...Just let things play out. There is no point in getting your panties in a bunch because we didn't take the guy you really wanted.

I preferred Albert more than Williams but I'm fine with Chris, good pick. I liked Rice and Charles more than Forte but I'm cool with that pick too because I think Forte is a very solid player.

Who here thought Tillman, Kruetz, Briggs, Hester, Vasher, Brown, Mark Anderson...And even going back further guys like Tony Parrish, Marty Booker, etc would have the impact they did?

You just don't know. So sit back, enjoy the draft and settle down.

regoob2
04-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Shut the **** up, seriously. How do you know Sweed is a starting WR? He has wrist problems and a ton of teams have passed over him.

Did you work out Sweed? Did you interview Sweed? I'm pretty sure the Bears did.

Now I liked Rice and Charles more than Forte personally but this is a competition pick and it's telling Benson to get his ass in gear. I agree that he's probably not a feature back but he's a solid pick, and again this is a wake up call for Cedric.

"I am ******* on fire" you sound like a 3 year old that didn't get the toy they wanted at the store.Why don't you shut the **** up, do you have any posts that don't agree with BF51? Do you work out with Sweed? You just said yourself that Forte will only be a back up, So why take a RB in round 2 when this is a deep RB draft especially when he probably won't start. Sweed is a better prospect than Forte and he has a lot more potential. We need a playmaker at WR and I feel his would've been it. Get off BF51s nuts and try and form your own opinion for once.

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Calm down Sweetness, sheesh.

Ok so looking ahead to 70. Could we trade back into the late 2nd for Brohm/Henne? Would we consider that?

There is some pretty good depth at WR and OL looking into the next round. Mario Manningham has his issues but at 70? I'd think about it. Maybe a guy like Roy Schuening if they want to go back to the line.

Another name to keep an eye on is Dre Moore. I love Dre Moore. If he was available at 70 I'd pick him without a 2nd thought.

Still interesting to see if we'd consider trading back into the 2nd for a QB. I can't imagine they will last to 70 after teams have the time to sit down and think about how to move ahead of us.

Could be some real sleeper picks coming up too.

sweetness34
04-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Get of 51's nuts? I disagree with him on Otah, and I was going to quote him when he said that Williams wasn't his first choice.

I love Chris Williams, he doesn't. So how again is that on his nuts? I'm just sick and tired of fans whining and bitching when they haven't even seen a guy in our uniform. Cry me a ******* river. Sweed has yet to be picked...Coincidence? Um no. All the other WR's are gone and he's not. Hmmmm.....

bearsfan_51
Forte will probably start, lets be realistic here.

regoob2
All Bear fans do is *****, *****, *****, *****...Just let things play out. There is no point in getting your panties in a bunch because we didn't take the guy you really wanted.

I preferred Albert more than Williams but I'm fine with Chris, good pick. I liked Rice and Charles more than Forte but I'm cool with that pick too because I think Forte is a very solid player.

Who here thought Tillman, Kruetz, Briggs, Hester, Vasher, Brown, Mark Anderson...And even going back further guys like Tony Parrish, Marty Booker, etc would have the impact they did?

You just don't know. So sit back, enjoy the draft and settle down.What's the point of following the draft and posting on here if you don't really care who we pick?? Ya I was over reacting when I said I was on fire but I kinda was at the time. I think Sweed is better than Forte and we could find competition in the 3rd. I like Forte and think he's a good pick but I feel Sweed would have been a great pick and will be better in the long run. Whatever I'm over it.

Gay Ork Wang
04-26-2008, 07:09 PM
lol regoob easy....
Forte wasnt a bad pick. He wasnt a great pick either. But its not like we passed on Devin Thomas or someone big. Let him play first before u argue.

Bearsfan123
04-26-2008, 07:09 PM
My problem with this entire draft is that Angelo has NO guts. He doesnt dare trade up and gamble on an offensive player. Mendenhall lasted to 23! Anyone gonna tell me we couldnt offer some combination of picks to the teams at 20,21, or 22 to get him? Then in the second whos are third qb? Um we dont have one. Forte was decent value there yes, but Brohm would have been good value and would have given us competition for our QB corps that consists of a guy who is as erratic as all heck, and a guy who has accuracy issues and whom we affectionately call neckbeard.

And Sweed or Kelly, both big receivers that could possibly be #1 targets. I dont like them but value wise they arent bad.

Okay Forte wasnt a bad pick. I just wish Angelo got some guts and would trade up for the prospects like Clady and Mendenhall, especially when he had chances to.

Go Bears. (Regardless welcome to the family Forte, good luck you're gonna need it)

regoob2
04-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Get of 51's nuts? I disagree with him on Otah, and I was going to quote him when he said that Williams wasn't his first choice.

I love Chris Williams, he doesn't. So how again is that on his nuts? I'm just sick and tired of fans whining and bitching when they haven't even seen a guy in our uniform. Cry me a ******* river. Sweed has yet to be picked...Coincidence? Um no. All the other WR's are gone and he's not. Hmmmm.....imo you seem to run up and defend 51 a lot. I wasn't that big of a deal until you told me to shut the **** up thats not cool. I wanted Sweed I obviously over reacted but this is a forum and I dont like when people tell me how to be a fan. I follow these players all year and I felt we make a mistake. I think you and me only talk on here when we argue about picks on draft day. Greg Olsen> Joe Staley. I own :D jk

regoob2
04-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Sorry all but I get worked up easily. I was about to say maybe we can still get Sweed but he just went to the Steelers. :(

sweetness34
04-26-2008, 07:13 PM
There's a difference between caring about a pick and flipping **** about it. I've learned from past drafts to be patient with picks. Some you think were good don't pan out, and others you hated look good down the road.

Oh and Sweed just got picked by Pittsburgh at #53 regoob, now you can throw another temper tantrum lol. ;) (forgot the winky face in my post)

And 123, the Bears prefer Henne over Brohm from what Angelo has said. Forte was a bad pick? He's not competition? WTF? Forte will give Cedric all he can handle.

sweetness34
04-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Staley looked damn good this year, and yes I was wrong about Olsen and I'll man up and admit it.

And about trading up, who said Angelo didn't show interest? Maybe he did and a deal couldn't be done.

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 07:21 PM
I'm fine without getting Sweed. I'd be real happy if we could find a way to get Henne or Brohm though. Having one of those as our 3rd pick would be fantastic.

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 07:24 PM
We could trade up to 58 or 59 with our 3rd and 4th round pick. With an additional 3rd I don't see how we can't do that unless we just really don't like Brohm or Henne.

I have a feeling we'll draft a QB I don't like...please no Colt Brennan...

xspikex
04-26-2008, 07:24 PM
If we stay put in the third round I would really like Earl Bennett, If we move up I hope it's for Brohm.

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Hah...I had a feeling that would happen. Crazy Packers. GB12 has to be slitting his wrists.

xspikex
04-26-2008, 07:26 PM
And now he's gone.

Bearsfan123
There's a difference between caring about a pick and flipping **** about it. I've learned from past drafts to be patient with picks. Some you think were good don't pan out, and others you hated look good down the road.

Oh and Sweed just got picked by Pittsburgh at #53 regoob, now you can throw another temper tantrum lol. ;) (forgot the winky face in my post)

And 123, the Bears prefer Henne over Brohm from what Angelo has said. Forte was a bad pick? He's not competition? WTF? Forte will give Cedric all he can handle.

Yeah I edited it. Still the lack of guts by Angelo is sad, nay pathetic. I am not mad about Forte, Im mad that we had chances at Rashard (who i believe will be the best back from this class) and blew it and even before that, Buffalo was looking to move down and we coulda put together an attractive package to get Clady. The lack of aggressiveness in a good year like this just makes me so angry. Angelo's approach has made us a great defensive team, but pathetic offensively and I want change. In all honesty if this is how Angelo wants to run things, he needs to be sent packing or demoted. In my opinion if you are not going to try and fix the mistakes you have made and are not man enough to admit them then you shouldn't be running the show. He missed on Benson, not only his ability but his character. He is not a high character guy, he has no passion, and has more Randy Moss in him than I could have thought possible (only plays when he wants to), but he refuses to admit that mistake and just tell him to put up or shut up.

Last year I hated the Greg Olsen pick, his lack of blocking pissed me off. I welcomed him to the Bear family with open arms, Ive admitted I was wrong on him. (kinda).

bearsfan_51
Let's look on the bright side here though, no matter whether you like our draft or not, you've got to admit we look a hell of a lot better on paper than the Packers and Lions.

Gay Ork Wang
04-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Brohm going to Green Bay...

Gay Ork Wang
04-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Henne in Miami...

Ainge? JDB? Woodson? Josh Johnson? Dixon?

regoob2
04-26-2008, 07:32 PM
We had 2 good picks so far so we can't be too upset about it. (other than me :D) I think both players will fit in well.

regoob2
04-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Henne in Miami...

Ainge? JDB? Woodson? Josh Johnson? Dixon?Ainge is my personal fav. Oconnell and Smith also.

Bearsfan123
04-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Yup, they are Bears now, and until they prove us wrong that makes them our proverbial family. Wish we coulda done better but meh, like I said Im not a big fan of our second pick, meh. Welcome to the Chicago family.

Go Bears.

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 07:39 PM
I have nothing against our first 2 picks, but the failure to get a QB is dissapointing to me, albeit not suprising. There just doesn't seem to be a longterm plan (or a shorterm plan) there at all.

On the bright side, we had two big needs, a left tackle and a runningback, we've dealt with both of them so far.

Picks at 70? I like...

-Mario Manningham
-Andre Caldwell
-Dan Conner
-DaJuan Morgan
-Carl Nicks
-Dre Moore
-Pat Sims
-Roy Schuening
-Earl Bennett
-Anthony Collins
-John Greco
-Drew Radovich

That's 12 guys with 10 picks between us. Lots of pretty good options.

Bearsfan123
04-26-2008, 07:44 PM
What about Reggie Smith?

Has he just fallen off the map?

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 07:50 PM
Oh yeah, Reggie Smith would be fine. Early Doucett too.

awfullyquiet
04-26-2008, 08:10 PM
I have nothing against our first 2 picks, but the failure to get a QB is dissapointing to me, albeit not suprising. There just doesn't seem to be a longterm plan (or a shorterm plan) there at all.

On the bright side, we had two big needs, a left tackle and a runningback, we've dealt with both of them so far.

Picks at 70? I like...

-Mario Manningham
-Andre Caldwell
-Dan Conner
-DaJuan Morgan
-Carl Nicks
-Dre Moore
-Pat Sims
-Roy Schuening
-Earl Bennett
-Anthony Collins
-John Greco
-Drew Radovich

That's 12 guys with 10 picks between us. Lots of pretty good options.

for sure. i mean. this looks 'hopefully' like we'll be able to pick up some much needed decent skill players between now and round five.

BeerBaron
04-26-2008, 08:17 PM
im so, so stoked with the way this first day went.

i couldn't even get through all the arguing on the other pages....im just stoked.

loving the bears picks. am i the only person here happy with the way this went or what?

williams is our right away starting LT, which allows tait to move to RT. we upgrade 1 o-line spot and fill the other. fan-freaking-tastic. love it.

forte is a big back who can handle the load if benson doesnt work out. remember, we have AP and wolfe who could be 3rd down backs for those of you who say forte is a 2 down guy.

whatever, im not even caring about the arguing. I LOVED this day for the bears!!!!!!!! yeah!!!!!!!!!

sweetness34
04-26-2008, 08:17 PM
I really, really, really like Early Doucet. Could be a 2nd Day steal....Maybe take a flyer on Manningham?

I think it'll either be OL or WR with the first one in the 3rd.

awfullyquiet
04-26-2008, 08:37 PM
I really, really, really like Early Doucet. Could be a 2nd Day steal....Maybe take a flyer on Manningham?

I think it'll either be OL or WR with the first one in the 3rd.

Flyer on Manningham would probably be my best bet with Dre Moore shortly following...

BeerBaron
04-26-2008, 08:38 PM
i like doucet but i wouldnt touch manningham.

the guys a slow (-er than expected), short, pot smoking, lying, getting 6 on the wonderlic guy i don't want to touch....

and i wouldn't mind to see a G go with our first pick tomarrow. finish the o-line repairs...

regoob2
04-26-2008, 08:44 PM
My ideal 3rd round would be Nicks, (nevermind) depending on what QBs are still available.

BeerBaron
04-26-2008, 08:47 PM
My ideal 3rd round would be Nicks, Kelly depending on what QBs are still available.

eh, i dont want another tackle unless he can start at guard. nicks maybe....i just dont see the sense in taking an o-lineman who will sit on the bench barring injury or tait suckiness.

and i can't figure out what kelly your talking about....the redskins took malcolm already

regoob2
04-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Nicks could start early at either OG spot imo. And I stopped watching for a bit in the mid 2nd and apparently I missed the Kelly pick.

BeerBaron
04-26-2008, 09:02 PM
nicks maybe....cousins maybe....schuening i would like. as long as they can play G right away id be pretty happy with it.

i also think we should consider the DTs who might be available. some of the better ones i thought would go in round 2 are still available like dre moore, marcus harrison, pat sims...i think we should take a long look at any of them available at 70. if we dont go them there, id like to keep rubin open as an option if hes around at 90.

Bearsfan123
04-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Id like Doucet and Reggie Smith if available in the 3rd that would make our draft much better IMO.

Geo
04-26-2008, 09:30 PM
Forte is a much better all-purpose back than Charles, and I don't think he has the potential intelligence issues, nor the obvious ball security issues that Charles has. Forte and Rice are starting backs in the league, and Forte especially is a great fit for the Bears. He's definitely competition for Benson day one, and it wouldn't surprise me if he wins the starting job immediately.

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 09:32 PM
You could start almost any tackle at guard in the NFL, look at Leonard Davis.

Here are the guys I like in the 3rd round (both picks)

Quarterback
Andre Woodson
John David Booty

-I would be fine with either at 90, but don't really like either in the early 3rd

Wide Receiver
Mario Manningham (early 3rd)
Early Doucett (early 3rd)
Andre Caldwell (early 3rd)
Earl Bennett (late 3rd)
William Franklin (late 3rd)

Offensive Line
Carl Nicks (early 3rd)
Anthony Collins (early 3rd)
Roy Schuening (early 3rd)
John Greco (late 3rd)
Jeremy Zuttah (late 3rd)
Oniel Cousins (late 3rd)
Drew Radovich (late 3rd)

Defensive Tackle
Dre Moore (early 3rd)
Pat Sims (early 3rd)
Demarrio Pressley (late 3rd)

Safety
Reggie Smith (early 3rd)
Dajuan Morgan (early 3rd)
Thomas Decoud (late 3rd)
Quintin Demps (late 3rd)
Tom Zwibikowski (late 3rd)

Considering our needs, I think it would make the most sense to go receiver at 70 and offensive line at 90, but you can't discount a quarterback, and I think Sims or Moore have to be pretty enticing to the Bears. Ditto Smith and Morgan.

BeerBaron
04-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Forte is a much better all-purpose back than Charles, and I don't think he has the potential intelligence issues, nor the obvious ball security issues that Charles has. Forte and Rice are starting backs in the league, and Forte especially is a great fit for the Bears. He's definitely competition for Benson day one, and it wouldn't surprise me if he wins the starting job immediately.

it would really surprise me actually. that would essentially be an admission of failure in using a 4th overall pick of a draft. if the bears don't do so well next year, that could be used against JA and lovie and could risk them their jobs....

even if forte is the better player, i dont think they bench benson. im not sure if i can explain this the way i see it....

if forte looks real good in camp and is beating out benson, maybe they purposely try to overuse benson and get him hurt or something...that way they can go with the better player instead of the one they have the huge investment in.

guys lose their jobs for messing up with high, high draft picks....i think if forte shows hes better than benson, the bears staff might wish benson would just go away quietly....you understand what im trying to get at?

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 09:38 PM
The Bears didn't draft Forte at 44 to not at least strongly consider benching Benson.

And Lovie and Jerry have at least another year of job security, they just made the Superbowl last year and this is not a franchise that fires coaches on a whim.

BeerBaron
04-26-2008, 09:43 PM
The Bears didn't draft Forte at 44 to not at least strongly consider benching Benson.

And Lovie and Jerry have at least another year of job security, they just made the Superbowl last year and this is not a franchise that fires coaches on a whim.

I hope they get to stick around....I think JA has done a fantastic job finding defensive talent late and like you said, they all just got off of a superbowl....

but im wary that forte has much of a shot...it might be one of those situations where the coaches are really pulling for him but can't just give him the job.

benson could still work out...can't rule it out. i guess with forte on his ass pushing him, its now or never

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-26-2008, 09:54 PM
The Jerry Angelo hype machine is officially out of control.

He's an average GM, at best.

BeerBaron
04-26-2008, 09:55 PM
The Jerry Angelo hype machine is officially out of control.

He's an average GM, at best.

he finds mid-late round defensive steals like no other....they make up half our defense.

i can't think of another team that successful at doing something like that

bearfan
04-26-2008, 10:12 PM
1st round pick I was fine with, solid pick. Forte was a big reach IMO, the next RB taken was Rice, and he may have been the last RB taken too. The fact that Brohm and Henne were still on the board and we didnt take one of them really ticks me off. Sure they may not be the next big thing, but at least it would be a step forward instead of hoping that Rex pans out again. The whole reason we have had this QB problem these past 5 years is because of the front offices recluctance to draft a QB to be groomed behind Rex, or take over when he is hurt. So what happens the year that we have the biggest question mark at QB, where either starter isnt to appealing? WE PASS ON SOME SOLID PLAYERS. I dont know if they would be better, but it would show that the FO is trying to go forward.

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Forte is not a reach. You can like or not like the pick, but he was a 2nd round guy. It's very possible the Lions would have taken him at 45.

BeerBaron
04-26-2008, 10:25 PM
plus, to further back up 51 with forte, on the QB front, i think Kyle Orton with a solidified o-line, healthy defense and competent run game gives us a better chance to win that any 2nd round rookie could.

and im not willing to give up on next season yet. our division is very winnable imo. the lions are the lions, the packers are basically going to a rookie QB in terms of playing experience and they must not trust rodgers too much because they still took brohm today.

the vikings scare me now with allen, but if tavaris doesnt work out, they might not go anywhere anyway.

bearfan
04-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Forte is not a reach. You can like or not like the pick, but he was a 2nd round guy. It's very possible the Lions would have taken him at 45.

Ok, good point, but even if we liked him that much, I dont know how the FO didnt go for a QB at all. I know that the team loved him, so I can see the pick, which Im alright w/ him, but the fact that we didnt make an attempt to get a QB at all pisses me off. We have 2 3rd rounders, we could have used one of those to get a QB. Looks like to have gotten us w/in range w/ a willing team around the area that Brohm and Henne were taken it would have cost us our 70th, our 4th rounder, and maybe one more to get one of those guys. Im really tired of the organization putting all hopes on Rex, and not having anyone else be able to come in and be our guy. We really missed out today on having someone like that who could be the future QB of the franchise if Rex and or Kyle dont pan out this season.

edit: granted, nothing is guaranteed, and i do like some guys tomorrow at QB, just I think that Brohm and Henne would have been better options than what we have tomorrow

BeerBaron
04-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Ok, good point, but even if we liked him that much, I dont know how the FO didnt go for a QB at all. I know that the team loved him, so I can see the pick, which Im alright w/ him, but the fact that we didnt make an attempt to get a QB at all pisses me off. We have 2 3rd rounders, we could have used one of those to get a QB. Looks like to have gotten us w/in range w/ a willing team around the area that Brohm and Henne were taken it would have cost us our 70th, our 4th rounder, and maybe one more to get one of those guys. Im really tired of the organization putting all hopes on Rex, and not having anyone else be able to come in and be our guy. We really missed out today on having someone like that who could be the future QB of the franchise if Rex and or Kyle dont pan out this season.

edit: granted, nothing is guaranteed, and i do like some guys tomorrow at QB, just I think that Brohm and Henne would have been better options than what we have tomorrow

this guy had a good point to make about quarterbacks:

plus, to further back up 51 with forte, on the QB front, i think Kyle Orton with a solidified o-line, healthy defense and competent run game gives us a better chance to win that any 2nd round rookie could.

Race for the Heisman
04-26-2008, 10:32 PM
I had a lacrosse game so I missed eveything after Atlanta traded up for Sam Baker (wtf?) but after filling myself in I'm okay with what we've done. It's not ground-breaking by any stretch of the imagination and while I might have preferred Albert (I won't lie, I was slightly disappointed when it was Chris Williams, even though I had thought that Albert would go after the true left tackles [Clady and Williams]), I am content with Williams.

As for Forte, its about the same as Williams. I'm okay with passing on the wideouts and I like Forte as much as any other back still on the board. I might have like Trevor Laws because even though defensive tackle isn't as much of a need I really like Laws as a prospect. The kid can ball and that's enough for me. I also would have been okay with Brohm but just like the wide receivers there are other guys I like later so its no big deal. Kevin Smith later could have probably been the same thing so I can't really say I love this pick either.

Regarding tomorrow there's a couple of guys I'd be happy with, namely Dan Connor, Anthony Collins, Earl Bennett, or Josh Johnson in the third. I suppose I'm more mellow about this than some of the rest of us, at least so far, so if its not a player I'm in love with I'd be okay anyway. There is really no need for Connor but I love him as a player and he could probably displace Hillenmeyer and maybe even take Urlacher's role in the future, even if we are a Cover 2 team. Collins doesn't seem like a need after picking Williams but there are two big concerns about Williams, his neck and his arms, and the general concensus in the scouting community seems to be that Collins will be able to be a left tackle if one of him or Williams ends up as a guard, fine by me. Earl Bennett is another guy I really like, he might even by there in the fourth and Josh Johnson would be of nice value as well.

Beyond the third (and of few other guys I didn't mention earlier) the guys I like are Kevin O'Connell, Kirk Barton, DaJuan Morgan, Roy Schuening, Dre Moore, Erik Ainge, you know what, **** it, there's too many to name. Besides, while I may like certain prospects over others, I can usually convince myself a pick was okay given enough time.

Geo
04-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Agreed, Forte was clearly mid-2nd round regarded for the last month if not longer, and is one of the desirably bigger backs available in a class with some smaller/shorter/lighter backs which only helps boost his value. Forte has top-notch starter potential, with all-purpose ability - he's not some calculated risk like Jamaal Charles, Kevin Smith, or Chauncey Washington. Honestly, these guys are essentially the same deal as Ced Benson, give or take a bit somewhere.

I don't think it was much of a secret that both the Bears and the Lions had a shine to him and would strongly consider him in the 2nd.

BeerBaron
04-26-2008, 10:39 PM
i never disliked forte and was glad we took him. i was trying to gag down a pizza the whole pick.....was so scared of it being henne...so relieved when it wasnt

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm not arguing against quarterback. I would have loved Brohm or Henne, but it seemed like from the start that the FO wanted to solidify the runningame before anything else. There are still some interesting options at QB, although obviously much more developmental guys.

bearfan
04-26-2008, 10:44 PM
Haha sorry Baron, I was in midpost when you posted that. I agree, but I wouldnt expect the rookie QB to start this year, my big thing is that since drafting Grossman we havent had a legit #2 that could possibly be a starter except for now Orton. I think Henne or Brohm could be better pros than Orton, which was one of the reasons I wasnt happy. I think its more the situation, that the FO doesnt want to take a chance on a QB other than Rex, I mean, how many chances can he get?

Looking back at my posts, I apear pretty angry w/ the Forte pick. I think its a good pick, he is a good player, and will be a good fit for the team. I just wish that we made a move up to get one of the QBs after that though...

regoob2
04-26-2008, 11:12 PM
I agree that Forte was a mid 2nd guy, maybe late 2nd. I thought Sweed was a late first and Desean Jackson was a late 1st early 2nd.

BeerBaron
04-26-2008, 11:25 PM
Haha sorry Baron, I was in midpost when you posted that. I agree, but I wouldnt expect the rookie QB to start this year, my big thing is that since drafting Grossman we havent had a legit #2 that could possibly be a starter except for now Orton. I think Henne or Brohm could be better pros than Orton, which was one of the reasons I wasnt happy. I think its more the situation, that the FO doesnt want to take a chance on a QB other than Rex, I mean, how many chances can he get?

Looking back at my posts, I apear pretty angry w/ the Forte pick. I think its a good pick, he is a good player, and will be a good fit for the team. I just wish that we made a move up to get one of the QBs after that though...

its chill, my biggest peeve with a QB this year though is that i think we can win next year. and i think that we need to make wise choices with our 4 top 3 round picks in order to do so. they need to be guys who have a good chance of starting, or at least contributing a good deal.

a qb sitting on the bench...just....nah. id rather take a guy rounds 4-7 to plant on the bench for a year.

that way if things dont work out and we end up terrible next year, we don't have a huge, early pick investment in a QB and that allows us to get a new (and hopefully better) guy next year that can do more right away if need be.

this year, KO is the man. unless hes awful or gets hurt, that rookie qb isnt going to do much.....

Smokey Joe
04-26-2008, 11:37 PM
I would have preferred Albert in the 1st, but I can understand the front office liking Williams better.

Would have liked Flacco, but the Ravens really wanted him, what else could we have done? With him gone, RB was our next big need, and Forte is a good one.

In the 3rd round I hope for Dre Moore followed by Kerry Brown. Yes, WR is a need, but honestly, none of the available WR's would really make an impact if any. What we have now is what we will have during the season pretty much.

As for QB, hopefully Orton shocks the world, but it looks like we will have to wait another year for our future QB. I wouldn't mind Paul Smith in the 5th or 6th, or even O'Connell in the 4th.

BeerBaron
04-26-2008, 11:41 PM
I would have preferred Albert in the 1st, but I can understand the front office liking Williams better.

Would have liked Flacco, but the Ravens really wanted him, what else could we have done? With him gone, RB was our next big need, and Forte is a good one.

In the 3rd round I hope for Dre Moore followed by Kerry Brown. Yes, WR is a need, but honestly, none of the available WR's would really make an impact if any. What we have now is what we will have during the season pretty much.

As for QB, hopefully Orton shocks the world, but it looks like we will have to wait another year for our future QB. I wouldn't mind Paul Smith in the 5th or 6th, or even O'Connell in the 4th.

moore and brown would be pretty nice. my favorite receiver, simpson, is already gone....but i think earl bennett, as polished as he is, could make a decent impact as a 3rd or 4th receiver. run some nice routes when he hits the field...be someone to work with.

but yeah, receiver isnt a super big have to have early tomarrow.

bearsfan_51
04-26-2008, 11:41 PM

Doucett and Bennett would give us some real competition. If Manningham can play to his talent he might be the best receiver on our team, though there are obvious risks with that.

I'm a big Dre Moore fan, so I'd have no problem with that. I prefer Roy Schuening or a few other guys over Brown. I just don't get why you've been beating the Brown drum for so long.

Reggie Smith and Dajuan Morgan have got to be pretty enticing. Even Angelo, who previously called the safety class anemic, noted that the 3rd round had some good value there.

Smokey Joe
04-26-2008, 11:44 PM
Bennett and Doucet are nice guys to have, but who makes a bigger impact, them or a DT like Moore? I say Moore. As for Brown, I am already assuming Schuening is gone. I like Brown and I think he has major upside and can be a pro-bowl LG.

Also, I don't see safety. It seems like we already know what we are going to do with the position. It has been said Brown will be the FS, likely with McGowan, Archuletta and Payne competing at SS. Manning would be the backup.

If we draft safety, it'll probably be late, IMO.

BeerBaron
04-26-2008, 11:46 PM
Bennett and Doucet are nice guys to have, but who makes a bigger impact, them or a DT like Moore? I say Moore. As for Brown, I am already assuming Schuening is gone. I like Brown and I think he has major upside and can be a pro-bowl LG.

i like that brown is a mauler...i like mauling lineman. just something about the word "maul"....its nice....

chris williams was the exceptions since i feel that a pass blocking LT can get by without being overly aggressive or anything like that.

but anyway, my point is, id be ok with brown

i could be made to buy greco or radovich too at 90

sweetness34
04-26-2008, 11:54 PM
Angelo said it'll be offense, offense, and more offense tomorrow. Good call, although I think most of us assumed that anyway. :D

I'll say OL and WR in the 3rd (in no order).

Race for the Heisman
04-27-2008, 01:59 AM
Although I like Schuening personally I'd wait on a guard, maybe Donald Thomas in the fifth/sixth?

toonsterwu
04-27-2008, 02:04 AM
I'm happy with our draft so far. Matt Forte gives us a legit challenger ... well, hell, let's be honest, he should be the favorite to start entering the year. I like the Williams pick. Was a bit surprised, as he didn't seem to fit the mold, but I'm glad they went outside of expectations.

There will be a QB pick if the value works out. Not saying it 100% will happne, but if the value is there, I think the 2nd 3rd or the 4th may be used on a QB.

I think my hope is Earl Bennett to start tomorrow. Here's a guy that can step in next year and make an impact. Doucet will be okay, but Bennett has some mobility. Another OL will be added, although personally, I'd rather wait till later for an OG. There will be good OG's in the 4th/5th.

DaBear89
04-27-2008, 03:13 AM
late 3rd on Woodson
4th on Josh Johnson
4th on DD10

choose 1...

toonsterwu
04-27-2008, 03:18 AM
I think JD Booty might rate ahead of those 2 for us. If we take Woodson, it's probably the 4th. Same with Johnson. That's where both are likely to be slated, although Woodson could fall further. Ainge could be in the mix as well in the 4th, perhaps 5th. I don't see us looking Dixon to be honest, but if so, it's probably in that range.

Out of the remaining Qb's, I'd like Kevin O'Connell in the 4th, to be honest.

corbi328
04-27-2008, 07:33 AM
Angelo has said he will concentrate on offense and he also said he was looking to get players with the potential to be immediate starters with the first four picks. To me that means we are sticking with WR and OL in the 3rd round because I can't see any other offensive position where we could possibly draft a starter at this stage of the draft (certainly not QB). My top two choices would be WR Earl Bennett and OL Mike McGlynn, however, unless we trade up from #90 I don't think we will be able to draft both of them. In my opinion it would be worth it for Angelo to give up # 90 and a sixth round pick to assure ourselves a chance at grabbing both Bennett and McGlynn early in the third round. These guys are good enough to start for us right away.

bearsfan_51
04-27-2008, 08:57 AM
I would really like to trade down at 70, maybe back 15 picks or so and pick up a few more picks. There is enough equal depth at that spot that we could probably still get an equal player at 85 that we could at 70.

We could trade back to 82 and pick up a mid-4th. That would be fantastic.

BeerBaron
04-27-2008, 09:24 AM
i like the way you have things going in your sig 51 but i think we may have to jump on schuening with the first 3rd if we want him. i would do it since i believe he could be the front runner for the open LG spot right away.

it would scare me a little to have 2 rookies on the left side of our line but i think it would still be an upgrade over last year....

we just took bennett !! woot!@1

edit: guess i dont need the WR talk now! i like the bennett pick

xspikex
04-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Yes! Bennett, I knew it! And I love it!

bearsfan_51
04-27-2008, 09:28 AM
Yeah I like the Bennett pick a lot too. He and Doucet are very similar in my mind. Bennett might be a bit faster actually.

bearfan
04-27-2008, 09:30 AM
My reaction: YEAAAAHHH
We now have a more posession reciever to pair w/ all of our fast guys. Good pick

BeerBaron
04-27-2008, 09:33 AM
so, to guys who didnt want forte yesturday, which looks better now?:

forte and bennett

sweed and charles

DaBear89
04-27-2008, 09:35 AM
didnt really kno much about bennett but looks godd from the vid they just showed

DaBear89
04-27-2008, 09:36 AM
seeing how texas has treated us recently i take fote and bennett

BeerBaron
04-27-2008, 09:39 AM
seeing how texas has treated us recently i take fote and bennett

lol, didn't think about that aspect of it but it is true....

btw, vanderbilt have any other worthwhile players for us to take? we're on a run of em, lol

bearfan
04-27-2008, 09:41 AM

forte and bennett

sweed and charles

As much as it sounded like I didnt, I said it was a good pick. I thought it was 1 round to early for him, but it sounded like he would have been snatched up, so I'm content w/ the pick.

I will take the 2 solid players vs 1 good one, and one who is a big question mark on how he will do in the NFL.

What I just noticed is that 2 of our 3 picks have been Vandy picks, so we just got 2 very smart players too.

xspikex
04-27-2008, 09:42 AM

forte and bennett

sweed and charles

Forte and Bennett, but I did want Forte.

bearsfan_51
04-27-2008, 09:59 AM
We are so winning the NFL spelling bee.

BeerBaron
04-27-2008, 10:16 AM
schuening or dre moore.....schuening or dre moore.....cmon bears!

BeerBaron
04-27-2008, 10:19 AM
harrison....good enough.

durability issues and off the field concerns though? sounds like a cross between tank johnson and dusty.....

bearsfan_51
04-27-2008, 10:23 AM
I like the Harrison pick. I'm a bit suprised with the character concerns, but he's a great athlete and can stop the run.

Very good first 3 rounds for the Bears. We need another guard and a quarterback, but we've done a great job of adressing our needs and finding value. I'm very happy.

bearfan
04-27-2008, 10:26 AM
I dont like the pick. We drafted Dusty a few years ago in the 3rd, we have Tenoa (sp), Adams, Idonije.... I just think that we have bigger needs than a DT. Could have gone guard which we need, they must know something about Beekman that we dont.

regoob2
04-27-2008, 10:28 AM
I just woke up but I love the picks.

bearfan
04-27-2008, 10:34 AM
I dont know what I want more at 110, QB or someone to play guard. We could probably take Booty, Johnson at 110, but would someone else like O'Connell, Ainge be at the 5th round?

By us not drafting QB, it just gives the FO more chances to put Rex at QB for future years.

And the Harrison pick, coming around on it. While it wasnt a top need pick, he had value there, and will help us out.

edit: O'Connell was just taken by the Pats

BeerBaron
04-27-2008, 10:43 AM
i like the harrison pick, i just wish he didnt have the durability and character concerns. sounds too much like they guys he'll be trying to replace there....

i like that schuening is still around. i still think he could be a guy who could impact the LG spot right away. looking at him in the 4th i hope!

bearsfan_51
04-27-2008, 10:54 AM
I dont like the pick. We drafted Dusty a few years ago in the 3rd, we have Tenoa (sp), Adams, Idonije.... I just think that we have bigger needs than a DT. Could have gone guard which we need, they must know something about Beekman that we dont.

Dvoracek is the only guy really worth making a stink over, and he has yet to prove that he can stay healthy. Athony Adams is a decent player, but I'd prefer to not start him 16 games again this year. We needed a run-stuffer, particularly as an insurance policy for Dusty. Israel Idonije and Toneia are not run-stuffers at all.

Harrison is a risk no doubt, I'm very suprised we took him, but talent-wise he's a late 1st guy. It's a good pick. We're really having a great draft so far.

dabears10
04-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Roy Schuening seems to be what everybody wants. Anthony Collins I think may be a good pick. I think almost all tackles can make good guards and we could groom him for the RT after Tait leaves.

regoob2
04-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Is Carl Nicks still available, and I'd prefer Forte and Bennett I guess.

BeerBaron
04-27-2008, 10:57 AM
i think personally i preferred moore to harrison but harrison does fit the bill of what we need.

BeerBaron
04-27-2008, 10:57 AM
i certainly wouldn't mind another lineman here. schuening tops my list but like you guys said, collins or nicks wouldn't be bad either

regoob2
04-27-2008, 10:59 AM
What are the character concerns with Nicks?? Nicks is a early 2nd round talent at least i'm suprised to see him fall so far. I thought someone would take him in the 3rd.

bearsfan_51
04-27-2008, 11:01 AM
I wouldn't rule out John David Booty or Josh Johnson here either. This would be a good spot for a quarterback if we decide against a lineman.

dabears10
04-27-2008, 11:06 AM
I guess it is a good thing right now, because there are many different picks that I would be very happy with.

bearfan
04-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Dvoracek is the only guy really worth making a stink over, and he has yet to prove that he can stay healthy. Athony Adams is a decent player, but I'd prefer to not start him 16 games again this year. We needed a run-stuffer, particularly as an insurance policy for Dusty. Israel Idonije and Toneia are not run-stuffers at all.

Harrison is a risk no doubt, I'm very suprised we took him, but talent-wise he's a late 1st guy. It's a good pick. We're really having a great draft so far.

As I said, I'm coming around on the pick. At the time when I made the post, I saw guards, tackles, and some QBs that I thought would have been fillers at positions that we need. But, coming around, I realize that it is a good pick.

regoob2
04-27-2008, 11:22 AM
We just traded pick 110

BeerBaron
04-27-2008, 11:24 AM
so...we traded it? they didnt say what happened on NFLN

bearsfan_51
04-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Yeah, only moved down 5 spots. Probably got another 7th rounder.

AaronGrayisKing
04-27-2008, 11:29 AM
I wish they would tell us what was involved in that trade...

I also wish ESPN would stop letting those reporters talk...

BeerBaron
04-27-2008, 11:36 AM
yeah, nfln has never said what we got yet

bearfan
04-27-2008, 11:37 AM
NOT AGAIN! lol

regoob2
04-27-2008, 11:38 AM
WTF bears trade out again

regoob2
04-27-2008, 11:39 AM
There is some talent still available why arent we making a pick, QB, Carl Nicks Schuening.

BeerBaron
04-27-2008, 11:39 AM
good christ! we traded down again!? wtf are we trying to do, get the whole 7th round?

we traded with the bucs...here goes josh johnson i bet

AaronGrayisKing
04-27-2008, 11:40 AM
WTF!? What happened with our trades???? What'd we get!!!

BeerBaron
04-27-2008, 11:40 AM
well, the bucs didnt give us their 4th rounder....what the bloody ****

we had better gotten at least their 3rd next year or i will be pissed. we could have taken a starting o-lineman or at least a QB or something....seriously, wtf

regoob2
04-27-2008, 11:41 AM
we moved down to 120 not to far again.

BeerBaron
04-27-2008, 11:42 AM
nfl.com and espn.com draft trackers dont even know wtf is going on.....

tampa took dre moore but both sites still have them listed at 120.

and i want to know what else we're getting for these trades

AaronGrayisKing
Looks like we got the 208th pick for our 110th.... Atleast ChicagoBears.com cares.

Mr. X
I'm really not understanding trading back our 4th for probably 2 7th round picks. It's not like we need to be getting a OG, QB, or WR right now.

regoob2
Dre Moore is a good pick for them we got #120.

bearsfan_51
04-27-2008, 11:44 AM
You guys need to calm down. Sheesh. Haha.

So...six 7th rounders? I can dig it. We can draft our entire practice squad.

bearsfan_51
04-27-2008, 11:45 AM
Aw nuts. There goes my Quintin Demps in Chicago dream.

Meta4
04-27-2008, 11:50 AM
please dont take nicks

AaronGrayisKing
04-27-2008, 11:52 AM
I love the Steltz pick!

regoob2
04-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Craig Steltz ok pick.

bearfan
04-27-2008, 11:53 AM
Craig Steltz....not a bad player, but we could have had Demps at 115. Call me overreacting, but no OG or QB? Wtf is going on?

BeerBaron
04-27-2008, 11:54 AM
steltz? are you kidding me?

josh freaking barrett is still available at S and i have him rated 2nd round...

and we could use some of the o-lineman available.....

you have to ask yourself, is steltz that much better than anyone else we have at safety? i don't think he starts right away....but had we taken an o-lineman, he could have....

barrett>steltz

bearsfan_51
04-27-2008, 11:55 AM
You're overreacting.

That's funny, I was just thinking Steltz. I would have preferred Quintin Demps just because I think he's better suited for both spots, but I've always thought about Steltz in the 3rd or 4th round. He's a good fit for what we want to do.

Hurricane Ditka
04-27-2008, 11:56 AM
We get an extra sixth in the first trade, and another fifth in the second trade.

AaronGrayisKing
04-27-2008, 11:57 AM
I think the QB will happen later with Johnson....Maybe in the 5th.

BeerBaron
04-27-2008, 11:58 AM
We get an extra sixth in the first trade, and another fifth in the second trade.

thats a plus at least. better than owning the 7th round, lol

bearsfan_51
04-27-2008, 11:58 AM
steltz? are you kidding me?

josh freaking barrett is still available at S and i have him rated 2nd round...

and we could use some of the o-lineman available.....

you have to ask yourself, is steltz that much better than anyone else we have at safety? i don't think he starts right away....but had we taken an o-lineman, he could have....

barrett>steltz
The difference between Barrett and Steltz is pretty negligible. Barrett is a better player in shorts, but Steltz was more productive in college and I think has better ball skills.

As for offensive line, you could make a case there, but these guys are dropping to the mid-4th for a reason. I imagine if they were viewed as starters in the NFL they wouldn't have been passed over for a one-year starter from Utah State.

Some of you seriously need to calm down. We're having a great draft.

awfullyquiet
04-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Yep.

Morning veryon.

I'm really actually surprised it's the middle of the 4th and we still haven't gotten a QB. actually... no. i'm not surprised... but there's all the QB's we could want left.

Woodson, Booty, Ainge... they're all there.

and yes... bf is right... we're actually having a terrific draft that all of us should be frickan happy with.

bearsfan_51
04-27-2008, 12:01 PM
Wow. A 5th rounder to move from 120 to 115? That's fantastic. 2 5th rounders, 2 6th rounders, and 4 7th rounders. I can dig it.

BeerBaron
04-27-2008, 12:02 PM
steltz was just so out of the realm of what i was expecting is all....initial shock is all...

our first day went about as well as i could have hoped and today hasnt been bad by any stretch...loved the bennett pick....

ah well, i have to drive 3 hours back to school soon....itll probably be over by the time i get back....

AaronGrayisKing
04-27-2008, 12:02 PM
ChicagoBears.com has us with no 6th round picks now.... But we do have 2 5ths.... What gives?

regoob2
04-27-2008, 12:07 PM
I think this is the best draft we've had in a long time. Adding a 5th and a 6th were awesome value and was a no-brainer trade. Steltz is a good safety and I think he is a much better fit than Barrett, Barrett might have been a better player and I'd want him in madden I like the Steltz pick.

bearsfan_51
04-27-2008, 12:09 PM
It could be that we traded our 4th and a 6th for Tampa's 4th and a 5th. That would make a lot more sense.

bearfan
04-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Looking at the Steltz pick, he is a good college player, but as said is he any better than what we have? Arch, Manning, McGowan, Payne who was drafted last year and the team is high on. I dont get drafting a 5th S when we have needs elsewhere

bearsfan_51
04-27-2008, 12:28 PM
None of those safties are proven. None of them. What's wrong with adding another player to the mix that can play special teams? We could cut any of those players and I wouldn't bat an eye.

AaronGrayisKing
04-27-2008, 12:29 PM
NFL.com is reporting we'll have 2 5ths(142 and 158), a 6th, and 4 7ths.

I'd bet thats what it will be...

Gay Ork Wang
04-27-2008, 12:31 PM
wow i love our pick so far. all the QBs are still on the board and we pretty much filled almost all the holes. Cross ur fingers to get Schoening!

OG and QB are left.

bearsfan_51
04-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Here's a nice long list of guys we may consider with our 5th (two 5th's?) pick.

Quarterback
Andre Woodson
John David Booty
Josh Johnson
Erik Ainge
Colt Brennan
Dennis Dixon

Wide Receiver
Paul Hubbard
Marcus Monk
D.J Hall
Josh Morgan
Darius Reynard
Adrian Arrington
Kenneth Moore
Justin Harper

Offensive Tackle
Carl Nicks
Kirk Barton
Barry Richardson
Geoff Schwartz
Breno Giacomini
King Dunlap
Brandon Keith
Carlton Meddler
Shannon Boatman

Guard
Roy Schuening
Drew Radovich
Eric Young
Donald Thomas
Mackenzy Bernadeau
Robert Felton
Adam Kraus
Mike Gibson
Pedro Sosa

pellepelle_10
04-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Whats up guys.

Boy this has been a rough 2 days.

1. Williams - As I wanted Mendenhall I'm not the slightest bit angry. My fav pick outside of RB.

2. Forte - I absolutely HATE this pick but I'll just have to hope I'm wrong here.

3. Bennett - My favorite pick of the entire draft sofar. Great pick!

3. Harrison - I like Harrison but I would have preferred Dre Moore. Angelo runs his mouth about character guys and he gets him? What a hyprocrite

4. Steltz - Now I'm totally stunned by this selection for the simple fact that he's not going to beat anyone out for a starting position. With no qb taken I was really thrown off by this pick. We move down and let Demps go to take him? *scratching head*

5. I'd hope we're taking a qb but with the way Angelo is drafting he may be getting ahead of himself...Also Schuening is on the board and would be a solid addition at OG. We're still in need of help here.

AaronGrayisKing
04-27-2008, 12:37 PM
NFL.com reports the 6th is 175th overall. ChicagoBears.com is still saying no 6th and 5 7ths... NFLN and ESPN are lost all together.

Gay Ork Wang
04-27-2008, 12:42 PM
so apparantely its 2 5ths and 5 7ths

AaronGrayisKing
04-27-2008, 12:46 PM
so apparantely its 2 5ths and 5 7ths

ESPN.com also has it like that.

blkwdw13
04-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Update from Comcast Radio: Bears will go back to back picks on offense in the 5th Rd.

Bears traded down hoping John David-Booty would get drafted so they didnt have to seem like he was the right pick, right now they are eyeing two QB's and thats Josh Johnson and Dennis Dixon than there other pick they are debating who they are going to takr at OG they have three tragets and those are Roy Schuening Oregon St, Donald Thomas Uconn, and Mackenzy Bernadeau, Bentley. I see Bernadeau being a reach in the 5th rd but w/e two players we draft in the 5th I think will be a Solid round.

bearsfan_51
04-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Draft Schuening and then Johnson. Do it!!

We aren't literally back to back though. There are 16 picks in between.

Thanks for the update.

blkwdw13
04-27-2008, 12:55 PM
I know I think that they just meant with their two picks.

regoob2
04-27-2008, 12:57 PM
wow Bowman

AaronGrayisKing
04-27-2008, 12:58 PM
We are getting off track fast.... Zack Bowman CB!?!?!?!?!?

regoob2
04-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Mike Brown will have company in the training room with Bowman, did not see that coming.

blkwdw13
04-27-2008, 01:00 PM
I guess comcast was complettely wrong.

bearfan
04-27-2008, 01:01 PM
A ******* Cornerback?! Wtf?!

bearsfan_51
04-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Dude....calm down. You are really ******* annoying. It's the 5th round.

That said, I'm not a huge fan. Bowman did run a 4.38 at the combine, so I definately see why they took a chance here. Could he help in the return game? As a gunner? If he's healthy he'll make the roster, which itself is a gain in the 5th round.

I think that was a good spot to take a QB though.

xspikex
04-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Jerry just loooves to draft defense!

regoob2
04-27-2008, 01:05 PM
So does Bowman get a look at FS?

AaronGrayisKing
04-27-2008, 01:07 PM
I see the logic on drafting Bowman.... They want him to cover Airese Currie.

bearsfan_51
04-27-2008, 01:07 PM
That's an interesting thought. He's got tremendous speed and good ball skills, so I could see it.

My initial thought is that they drafted him to be a return man/gunner though.

AaronGrayisKing
04-27-2008, 01:11 PM
If Bowman gets a look at FS, we've now got a surplus at safety when we need other positions more... Maybe Angelo is thinking we can stock pile in the 7th....

bearfan
04-27-2008, 01:13 PM
haha 51' sorry. Just kinda really dont see where JA is going now. I agree, I was obnoxious w/ the 2nd and 3rd round when I had the QB glazing over my eyes, but a CB? Cmon, you have to admit that it came out of nowhere. We have 4 really talented corners: Tillman, Vasher, Manning, Mcbride + unproven Corey Grahm. I dont see where this kid fits in at all. On the other hand, you have some guards, tackles and Qbs on the board which are positions that could use some depth/upgrading/potential starters, and we have ignored that the past 2 rounds by drafting guys who probably even chalenge for a starting spot. I know its the 5th round, but I think there are still some players that could possibly start in the future or upgrade depth at positions that lack it.

bearsfan_51
04-27-2008, 01:15 PM
What positions do we have a great need at body-wise? We need a 3rd QB, and we could use another offensive lineman. That said we'll probably carry 7-8 lineman. Kruetz, Tait, Williams, Garza, St.Clair, Metcalf, Beekman, Oakley, Reed, etc.

I'm fine with taking BPA at this point. Bowman is a risk, one that I don't particularly like, but he's a good value in the 5th round.

I hope we can get a developmental QB, but it's clearly Orton/Grossman for next year.

pellepelle_10
04-27-2008, 01:16 PM
I hope Owen Schmidt is avail with one of those 7th rounders. I'm sure he'd serve as a very good blocking back.

bearfan
04-27-2008, 01:26 PM
What positions do we have a great need at body-wise? We need a 3rd QB, and we could use another offensive lineman. That said we'll probably carry 7-8 lineman. Kruetz, Tait, Williams, Garza, St.Clair, Metcalf, Beekman, Oakley, Reed, etc.

I'm fine with taking BPA at this point. Bowman is a risk, one that I don't particularly like, but he's a good value in the 5th round.

I hope we can get a developmental QB, but it's clearly Orton/Grossman for next year.

Its the QB, and the G that I am really hoping for. Im fine w/ Grossman/Orton QB for this year, but the fact that we didnt have a developmental guy to challenge Rex over his 5 year tenure up until this year is why I see us in the Qb situation that we are in. As for left guard..who will play there? Beekman? They wouldnt even let him play in garbage time w/ Orton and Wolfe. St.Clair? We have had chances to draft a guard, and I hope that we still do draft one, but w/ these last 2 picks have scared me w/ what JA is doing. I know, these are late round guys, but some of the guards and Qbs have 3rd-4th round grades.

I made a post earlier, but my internet closed off, what I said at the end is that there is a reason that JA is GM, and not me, so he knows what he is doing. I trust JA w/ drafts, even when I dont agree w/ the picks at the current time.

AaronGrayisKing
04-27-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm really hoping we grab Carl Nicks with 158.

blkwdw13
04-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Could or would they think of putting Nick at guard since he has really good mobility.

DaBear89
04-27-2008, 01:40 PM
if we dont go G or QB here then some1 take the drugs away from JA

DaBear89
04-27-2008, 01:41 PM
and there goes DD10

DaBear89
04-27-2008, 01:43 PM
**** and there goes schuening

regoob2
04-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Rams just traded up and grabbed Schuening ahead of us. Does Andre Woodson or Carl Nicks get a look.

DaBear89
04-27-2008, 01:45 PM
carl nicks, kerry brown, josh johnson, or owen shmitt plz...

DaBear89
04-27-2008, 01:48 PM
ummmm, WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AaronGrayisKing
Kellen Davis is nice value. I'm good with it.

regoob2
I like the Kellen Davis pick. We need a new 3rd TE and he has great upside and could take over for Dez when he leaves in 3 years.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Hate the Davis pick.

bearfan
04-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Ok, I like my MSU players, but cmon. Was Davis the one who played DE for the team too?

pellepelle_10
04-27-2008, 01:50 PM
WTF are we doing? Kellen Davis is yet ANOTHER problem player we've drafted. If we are going to draft players with character issues why not draft them in positions of need. Carl Nicks Angelo? DJ Hall? Someone slap this guy.

DaBear89
04-27-2008, 01:51 PM
still theres still good value at the other positions that we actually need help with. why pick at our 3rd best position

bearsfan_51
I like the Davis pick. He's a real good athlete and can be used in a lot of different ways. We needed a 3rd TE and another wide receiver option. He gives us both.

AaronGrayisKing
We're going to package 2 7ths for a 6th.... If that happens It'll be for a QB.... Johnson perhaps.

Mark it down!

bearsfan_51
04-27-2008, 01:53 PM
What ******* position are we going to find an immediate starter at in the 5th round? Don't you think the fact that Carl Nicks has been passed over 160 ******* times says something? Jesus ******* christ some of you are annoying.

Late rounds are the ideal place to take the best player available. We got a left tackle, a runningback, and another receiver. Those were the only things we needed to do.

asmitty45
04-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Davis is a very effective reciever over the middle and he's deceptively quick for how big he is. He had a pretty good school workout, i got to see him firsthand running routes and he's a very natural pass catcher.

He's pretty similar, but much more raw, than Greg Olsen.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-27-2008, 01:56 PM
WTF are we doing? Kellen Davis is yet ANOTHER problem player we've drafted. If we are going to draft players with character issues why not draft them in positions of need. Carl Nicks Angelo? DJ Hall? Someone slap this guy.

Nicks would probably start at guard for us next year.

DaBear89
04-27-2008, 01:58 PM
RG? imo at least

bearsfan_51
04-27-2008, 02:02 PM
So, if there is a starting offensive lineman out there, why do you thik he's been passed over 163 times so far? How many late 5th round picks come into camp the favorite to win a starting spot? Or maybe you guys (and by you guys I mean the people clearly base your opinions off of media rankings), know more than every single personel person in the NFL.

It's the 158th pick in the draft. I'll be happy if he makes the team, which, as the 3rd tight end, he obviously will.

blkwdw13
04-27-2008, 02:03 PM
There goes Owen Schmitt for all of you guys that wanted him.

AaronGrayisKing
04-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Nicks, Schmidt, and Johnson all gone... Now who do we pull for?

blkwdw13
04-27-2008, 02:04 PM
And there goes Nicks.

xspikex
04-27-2008, 02:05 PM
If the FO thought that Nicks would start at guard for us I can guarantee they would have picked him in the fifth round, obviously he's not starting material.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-27-2008, 02:07 PM
So, if there is a starting offensive lineman out there, why do you thik he's been passed over 163 times so far? How many late 5th round picks come into camp the favorite to win a starting spot? Or maybe you guys (and by you guys I mean the people clearly base your opinions off of media rankings), know more than every single personel person in the NFL.

It's the 158th pick in the draft. I'll be happy if he makes the team, which, as the 3rd tight end, he obviously will.

When your starting guards are Roberto Garza and Metcalf anyone you draft is a favorite to win a job out of camp.

Nicks has a lot of talent, but needs to be coached up.

Saints get a huge steal.

AaronGrayisKing
04-27-2008, 02:08 PM
I'd love to grab John Sullivan C/OG Notre Dame.... And DJ Hall WR Alabama.

regoob2
04-27-2008, 02:11 PM
1. Chris Williams OT
2. Matt Forte RB
3. Earl Bennett WR
4. Marcus Harrison DT
5. Craig Steltz S
6. Zack Bowman CB
7. Kellen Davis TE

Say what you want but we had a great overall draft.

sweetness34
04-27-2008, 02:12 PM
What ******* position are we going to find an immediate starter at in the 5th round? Don't you think the fact that Carl Nicks has been passed over 160 ******* times says something? Jesus ******* christ some of you are annoying.

No matter what you do, you cannot please Bear fans, they'll always find problems with who we draft and they'll ***** about it.

Davis was good value there. Obviously they felt that Nicks either wasn't good value or didn't like his character when they interviewed him.

The Bears have been very good in selecting guys with high character, the only one that didn't pan out was Tank Johnson, but he was just a dumbass. He wasn't a problem in the clubhouse. Yea Briggs and Urlacher are douchebags but they work when they are on the field, they are good teammates, and they produce.

Everyone wants a guy that is on Kiper or Mayock's draft board because they think they're the best available....There is a reason why Nicks dropped this far, there was a reason why Shazor and Browning went undrafted two years ago, there is a reason why other guys drop this far and teams pass on them.

sweetness34
04-27-2008, 02:15 PM
And about Marcus Harrison, he made a mistake, like most college kids do. He's taking a course to help him out but he was never a problem with coaches or teammates. He was just an immature kid that ****** up. Hell I've ****** up in my life but I'm not a bad person.

Don't know much about Davis' concerns though, someone fill me in?