PDA

View Full Version : Giants' 2008 Draft

Geo
04-26-2008, 08:29 AM
The 2008 Draft is finally here!

It's Draft weekend, and best of luck to the Super Bowl XLII Champion New York Giants in finding good players to help the team for the future.

Discuss the event here.

BaLLiN
04-26-2008, 08:45 AM
looking forward to this, hopefully we can do half as good as last year.

BaLLiN
04-26-2008, 10:02 AM
I really want either John Carlson or Craig Stevens in the 4th if we trade shockey. and Stevens scouting report is really good.

OSUGiants17
04-26-2008, 11:48 AM
looking forward to this, hopefully we can do half as good as last year.

yay, you're back!!!!!!!!!

Turtlepower
04-26-2008, 12:01 PM
TP for Tyrell Johnson!!!!

BaLLiN
04-26-2008, 12:42 PM
yay, you're back!!!!!!!!!

yea i temporarily got banned because i talked about politics, im an idiot :p

BaLLiN
04-26-2008, 12:43 PM
TP for Tyrell Johnson!!!!

i really dont want Johnson unless we trade down or take him at #40 with NO's pick. I still would be upset because i want Reggie Smith sooooo badly.

Turtlepower
04-26-2008, 12:43 PM
So, all indication is that Tyrell Johnson is our pick. That makes me happy because we won't be drafting Cason now. =D

BaLLiN
04-26-2008, 01:06 PM
So, all indication is that Tyrell Johnson is our pick. That makes me happy because we won't be drafting Cason now. =D

screw you, i want cason :p and i really could see Mike Jenkins falling, if not to us, close

Turtlepower
04-26-2008, 04:41 PM
YEAH, Cowboys took Felix Jones with their first pick. Go Jerry!!!

Damix
04-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Mike Jenkins dropping, trade up?

Turtlepower
04-26-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm happy where we are. I think we have so many options, a trade up isn't needed.

Turtlepower
04-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Yeah, no Cason for the Giants. That makes me happy, but the rest of you upset. Sorry guys. =D

Turtlepower
04-26-2008, 05:36 PM
KENNY PHILLIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm happy as hell about this.

DI
04-26-2008, 05:39 PM
1st round couldn't have played out any better

Forenci
04-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Awesome! I am so stoked we got Kenny! Guy I really wanted all along, to be honest. I didn't think there was any way he would fall to us too. Figured the Texans or Chargers would grab him for sure.

Yes! I love it!

Damix
04-26-2008, 05:41 PM
YES KENNY PHILLIPS!

touchdownmaker
04-26-2008, 06:32 PM
Antwuan Molden please??!!

hugegmenfan
04-26-2008, 06:51 PM
im happy about kenny phillips- hes a guy who i think can compete with james butler to play the starting FS role and is a great complement to sammy knights style of play. if spags and reese think he can be good in this league, than i have no reason to disagree.

antwuan molden 2nd round, i would not mind that at all. im thinking limas sweed right now- he was my #1 rated WR in this draft and has some how not been taken. i want him

touchdownmaker
04-26-2008, 07:04 PM
I don't think he makes it past the either the Titans, Cowgirls or the Bucs. But, if he falls to us I think we sort of have to draft him, just based on value.

I am so happy we pick up Philips. It was a toss up between Philips and Tyrelle Johnson. I am very happy with Philips though. It creates some good competition for that last level of our defense.

I am nervous that we might go a take Conner.

touchdownmaker
04-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Well, looks like the Titans are the only real threat left for Sweed.

touchdownmaker
04-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Terrell Thomas.......I would rather Conner.......bad pick. My preference is Molden. I think even King would have been better. I wonder what their thinking was? He does not have the speed to cover the slot, he doesn't have the recovery speed or the ceiling to be a potential shut down either. I would love to know what their thinking was on this.

Forenci
04-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Bad pick? Dan Conner does not fit our system. He is a middle line backer in Spags system, and Pierce has that locked up.

I love the Thomas pick. He is like Ross. Long arms, solid speed, good hands, plays physical and can play both man and zone coverage.

Superb pick and if you ask me, this is Reese doing his job. I think he really took to heart with who the coaching staff liked, and I think Terrell Thomas has 'Spags corner' written all over him.

Excellent first day if I do say so myself. I wouldn't want King. Character issues.

hugegmenfan
04-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Bad pick? Dan Conner does not fit our system. He is a middle line backer in Spags system, and Pierce has that locked up.

I love the Thomas pick. He is like Ross. Long arms, solid speed, good hands, plays physical and can play both man and zone coverage.

Superb pick and if you ask me, this is Reese doing his job. I think he really took to heart with who the coaching staff liked, and I think Terrell Thomas has 'Spags corner' written all over him.

Excellent first day if I do say so myself. I wouldn't want King. Character issues.

im very content with our day 1. we came away with some very good guys who played against top competition and were productive in college. thomas has been healthy the past 2 seasons- and was very productive and fits our system very well. i am so glad dan connor is going to go day 2 now, and i knew despite all the talk on the nfl network of us possibly going for him, i knew we would pass on him. check out reese's press conference on phillips on giants.com

BaLLiN
04-26-2008, 08:40 PM
I like the giants pick, solid, hopefully he can play FS. thomas really confuses me, and i really wanted Reggie Smith :( so Thomas upsets me a bit. i dont want to use another early pick on secondary unless its in a trade where we could still take other needed positions.

1. Kenny Phillips
2. Terrell Thomas
3. ?
4 ?
5 ?
6 ?
6 ?
6 ?

i give us a B/B+

hugegmenfan
04-26-2008, 08:54 PM
I like the giants pick, solid, hopefully he can play FS. thomas really confuses me, and i really wanted Reggie Smith :( so Thomas upsets me a bit. i dont want to use another early pick on secondary unless its in a trade where we could still take other needed positions.

1. Kenny Phillips
2. Terrell Thomas
3. ?
4 ?
5 ?
6 ?
6 ?
6 ?

i give us a B/B+

well after we took phillips i knew there was no chance of reggie smith.
i would give us a B for day 1. Phillips= B+ and thomas is a B-.

Turtlepower
04-26-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm happy with Thomas. So far we picked two players who were stellar in 06, but dropped off in 07. If they both play like they did a year ago, we have two great players on our hands.

TheGreatEscape
04-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Thomas over king annoys me.

Forenci
04-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Thomas over king annoys me.

Again, if there is anything we have learned, it's that drafting good character guys will do wonders for you locker room. Do you really want to draft a bunch of bad apples to screw up the chemistry of our locker room?

Not me. If I'm an NFL GM, I would pass up a great talent if he has character issues. Why risk the pick?

BaLLiN
04-26-2008, 09:51 PM
What do we look for in round 3? Also i really wanted the giants to trade shockey and get some picks, alot of great value players dropped.

BaLLiN
04-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Personally i dont like Justin King, i would take Terrell Thomas over him, the giants obviously think that way too. I still wish we could take Reggie Smith :(

Turtlepower
04-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Next year is a better draft than this year, so I would be unhappy trading Shockey for picks this year.

BaLLiN
04-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Next year is a better draft than this year, so I would be unhappy trading Shockey for picks this year.

yea what id like right now is to trade shockey for a future 1st and someone's 3rd and a 5th this year.

Turtlepower
04-26-2008, 10:18 PM
yea what id like right now is to trade shockey for a future 1st and someone's 3rd and a 5th this year.

Why trade Shockey when he is it his worst value in his entire career? Let's wait one season and see where things are with him.

BaLLiN
04-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Why trade Shockey when he is it his worst value in his entire career? Let's wait one season and see where things are with him.

well it depends, do i want to enjoy a plethora of picks now or later, im greedy and want Reggie Smith, so i say now.

touchdownmaker
04-26-2008, 10:35 PM
Don't we need a speed corner with lock down potential? Thomas is not that. Scouting reports say that he has very solid technique, but no speed. He smells like a sub package corner. I guess we will try to get the Raiders corner with the name I can't spell next year in free agency. I am guessing we go LB next round. I would like Adibi or Gooden. I am hoping for Gooden though.

You Pro Bowlers know you stuff, so could you see Thomas doing anything more than sitting in our sub packages? We are all loking forward to your film study on Thomas.

BaLLiN
04-26-2008, 10:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM76t0xYzeQ

BaLLiN
04-26-2008, 11:02 PM
Terrell Thomas ^^^^

Kenny Phillips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdxncWKny8A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-D-chcMHl8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kcFea5fnyg&feature=related

BaLLiN
04-26-2008, 11:04 PM
i honestly dont understand why we took Terrell Thomas over Reggie Smith :(

NDfootball
04-26-2008, 11:05 PM
So far I think we're doing a great job. Phillips was the pick we had to make and Thomas might be a little reach, but I think his speed is fine, and he fits our system well. Best of all it looks like these guys are both high character players.

What are we looking at for the 2nd day? We could use another interior lineman, maybe another WR and a linebacker. I was thinking Bennett in the 3rd, Justice or Geno Hayes in the 4th.

NotoriousT
04-26-2008, 11:07 PM
I'm happy with our draft so far. I've been wanting Phillips since midseason and I'm stoked we got him. Thomas was a bit of a surprise but the pick makes sense. Remember he has the potential to play safety too.

I'm very happy we didn't take Justin King. That guy got DESTROYED last season and has bust written all over him. No thank you.

BaLLiN
04-26-2008, 11:12 PM
So far I think we're doing a great job. Phillips was the pick we had to make and Thomas might be a little reach, but I think his speed is fine, and he fits our system well. Best of all it looks like these guys are both high character players.

What are we looking at for the 2nd day? We could use another interior lineman, maybe another WR and a linebacker. I was thinking Bennett in the 3rd, Justice or Geno Hayes in the 4th.

well this is what i think we should do:

1. Kenny Phillips S
2. Terrell Thomas CB/FS
3. DT/OG/OLB
4. (Hayes)OLB/WR

i think we use one of our later picks to trade up when needed, but those next two rounds should go like that because DT and OG are very high value right now. In the 4th OLB makes alot of sense, i dont think we should go WR unless it is Bennett in the 3rd which is really unlikely.

BaLLiN
04-26-2008, 11:13 PM
I'm happy with our draft so far. I've been wanting Phillips since midseason and I'm stoked we got him. Thomas was a bit of a surprise but the pick makes sense. Remember he has the potential to play safety too.

I'm very happy we didn't take Justin King. That guy got DESTROYED last season and has bust written all over him. No thank you.

Phillips = :)
Thomas = :/

- Thomas + Reggie Smith = :D

NYGibril28
04-26-2008, 11:26 PM
My Day 2 Wish List

Philip Wheeler...O-Line Depth....BPA

BaLLiN
04-26-2008, 11:27 PM
My Day 2 Wish List

Philip Wheeler...O-Line Depth....BPA

...and reggie smith....

NotoriousT
04-26-2008, 11:34 PM
I was right there with you on the Smith bandwagon...

...until we drafted Phillips. I think he's be the better safety and I'm not sure how I'd feel drafting two safeties in the first 2 rounds. I say we go DL/OL in the 3rd and then go BPA in the 4th on.

gus82witten
04-26-2008, 11:45 PM
Vince Redd from Liberty would be a great pick! Great upside. you cannot teach size and speed!

Turtlepower
04-26-2008, 11:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3369696

So John Clayton says that we were one of the losers on draft day for:

a) Not trading our All-Pro TE because we were "too greedy"

b) Not drafting a TE in round 2 to replace the TE we didn't trade...

Anyone else think that all this "we have to trade Shockey" talk is a little ridiculous?

touchdownmaker
04-27-2008, 12:47 AM
Well, as I stated earlier today in the old draft thread, I think that Shockey would have put on some really good numbers with Sean Payton. Then SOBs like Clayton would be going on about how much of a steal Shockey was for the Saints to only give up a second and a fifth rounder.

What would be the use in trading Shockey when all we do is use that acquired draft pick to get a TE? Essentially the Giants would be trading their sports car with milage on it for a newer but lesser model, and a free tune up with the 5th round pick.

I think the Giants have a weapon in Shockey and they should find ways to get him the ball.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
04-27-2008, 01:31 AM
Darn it!!!!!!!!! I think the superbowl champs (and NFC East rivals) got better today. That irritates the crap out of me. I hope yall are happy.

Seriously, Kenny Phillips was a really nice pick. I think you should be happy.

NotoriousT
04-27-2008, 01:31 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3369696

So John Clayton says that we were one of the losers on draft day for:

a) Not trading our All-Pro TE because we were "too greedy"

b) Not drafting a TE in round 2 to replace the TE we didn't trade...

Anyone else think that all this "we have to trade Shockey" talk is a little ridiculous?

That's a good thing in my eyes. Last year Kiper gave us a C and we were one of the losers of the draft. If our draft last year is a "C" then I'll take "C's" all day long.

D-Unit
04-27-2008, 04:03 AM
Terrell Thomas as a Giant kills me. I think that guy is going to be a fan favorite very very fast. I hope not, but I think so. He's an intelligent player than is physical and can shut his man down. One of my favorite corners this year. Nice job so far.

OSUGiants17
04-27-2008, 08:07 AM
So far I am very pleased with our draft. I thing Phillips will come in and replace Butler/Johnson right away, and Thomas is a great pick. I think he will have a great year.

OSUGiants17
04-27-2008, 08:35 AM
I say we get Henderson or Gooden in round 3.

hugegmenfan
04-27-2008, 08:49 AM
Erin Henderon is way off people's radar day 2. i think we could get him 4th/5th round

BaLLiN
04-27-2008, 10:07 AM
this next pick i think will round out our draft,

Kenny Phillips was really good, i thought San Diego would take him and we'd wind up with Cason. Phillips has alot of potential, has the skills, has the body (needs to put on more weight and can), but just needs to be coached up. Sammy Knight could do that, right now im really glad we signed him, he will help Phillips a whole lot.

Terrell Thomas really upset me, even moreso that Reggie Smith is off the board now. Thomas is a good player, really fits our scheme, i think he's going to push for that nickel or dime spot early on.

BaLLiN
04-27-2008, 10:48 AM
alright now im definitely giving us a B+

1. Kenny Phillips- great value, great pick, will develop alongside Knight into at least a good starter

2. Terrell Thomas- good pick for our scheme, probably not the best value, but he could easily hold a nickel or dime spot.

3. SUPER Mario Manningham - explosive, good vision, great after the catch, needs to become more consistant, could be an amazing #2 WR for us.

BaLLiN
04-27-2008, 10:49 AM
SUPER MARIO- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgvJHEjhcBI&feature=related

(and yes this does make up a little for not taking reggie smith :) )

Forenci
04-27-2008, 11:06 AM
I absolutely love the Mario Manningham pick. I've seen plenty of Michigan games over the past two years and this kid just knows how to get separation from the defense.

I really don't think Manningham has bad character issues as depicted. I don't like guys with big time character issues, but I think Mario's mistake was just being afraid to admit to scouts he did smoke marijuana at some point.

Plus he has a Michigan alum at WR (Toomer!) to help him out!

touchdownmaker
04-27-2008, 11:10 AM
Wow, Maningham! Nice pick up. Well, looks like we are going LB in the 4th then. I would prefer to trade up to get that Will backer that rounds out our draft.

I would really liked to have brought in Antuan Molden.

I am starting to accept the Thomas move. It seems as though Spags is going to let the old guys and Webster compete for the number 1 corner spot, and Thomas will play the sub packages. From his scouting reports its looks like he will be very able to play that role well. His technique is solid and he is said to have great football intelligence.

Any of you worried about Maningham's character issues?

OSUGiants17
04-27-2008, 11:40 AM
I love the Manningham pick. I love Jerry Reese.

BaLLiN
04-27-2008, 12:29 PM
#31- Kenny Phillips
#63- Terrell Thomas
#95- Mario Manningham
#123(via PIT)- Bryan Kehl

we got a solid draft class here. I dont understand the trade up and dont know what we gave up, but as far as taking Kehl over Henderson and Hayes, it makes sense. Hayes has major character issues and isnt very intelligent, along with him only being 220 lbs. Henderson is more of a SLB and we already have more than enough players to provide depth there. Kehl really fits our scheme nicely and he is a good intelligent player.

BaLLiN
04-27-2008, 12:32 PM
also if you look at all these guys productivity, they had at least 2 good/great years. Another thing is that we are getting really young players

Kenny- 21
Terrell- 23
Mario- 21
Bryan- 23

DI
04-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Would love to grab Carl Nicks with our next pick

Forenci
04-27-2008, 02:14 PM
I love the Jonathan Goff pick. Great value pick and he had some excellent production in the SEC.

Kehl was a good pick too. Really loving our draft thus far.

BaLLiN
04-27-2008, 04:13 PM
I love the Jonathan Goff pick. Great value pick and he had some excellent production in the SEC.

Kehl was a good pick too. Really loving our draft thus far.

1. Kenny Phillips
2. Terrell Thomas
3. Mario Manningham
4. Bryan Kehl
5. Jonathan Goff
6. **Traded to move up in 4th**
6. Andre Woodson
6. Robert Henderson

Right now i feel like we did above average, but not fantastic. Phillips was great, Thomas was alright good fit for us but I really wouldve liked Reggie Smith over him, Mario was amazing, Kehl was good, Goff was good, Woodson i really really like the pick but we shouldve taken him a pick later to give him good luck because thats when brady was taken. Robert Henderson i know nothing about.

I was a little disappointed with our 2nd rounder, i also felt that we couldve gone OL or DT with our 5th, Ahtyba Rubin went in the 6th i think we couldve scooped him up and gotten a great rotation at DT instead of just a backup at LB.

Would love to grab Carl Nicks with our next pick

he wouldve been nice, but i believe he is 25 or 26 years old, which is older than Ross is right now and his age was considered a big negative.

TheGreatEscape
04-27-2008, 04:27 PM
I hate the Mario pick, last WR I disliked this much was Sinorice Moss. His route running sucks, his hands suck, he's soft and doesn't do much after the catch, am I missing anything?

NotoriousT
04-27-2008, 04:42 PM
I hate the Mario pick, last WR I disliked this much was Sinorice Moss. His route running sucks, his hands suck, he's soft and doesn't do much after the catch, am I missing anything?

You forgot to mention your dad is Jim Tressel.

Mario runs good routes, has good hands, and is good in space.

BaLLiN
04-27-2008, 04:46 PM
His route running is good, gets good seperation, has decent hands, comes up big in tough situations, he gets good run after catch with his great vision. He is still young and could be helped along by past troubled WRs Amani and Plax.

Right now:

Plax = #1
Amani = #2
Smith = #2/#3

Manningham would probably take the place of Plax or Toomer if they went down. This doesnt take away from Sinorice because he could still be competing for that small speedy inside reciever because Manningham is fit for the outside.

BaLLiN
04-27-2008, 04:47 PM
You forgot to mention your dad is Jim Tressel.

Mario runs good routes, has good hands, and is good in space.

i wouldnt say he has good hands, i would say he has good ENOUGH hands but needs to keep his focus consistantly.

Forenci
04-27-2008, 04:50 PM

Did you forget he's one of the most prolific WR's in Michigan history at a school that has some superb WR's (including our own Amani Toomer)?

Did you also forget he has something we've completely lacked in a WR (even with Moss), separation? The guy just knows how to burn a DB. Reese had a steal here, and his character issues are barely a factor, and mind you, I'm a guy who HATES players with character issues.

I am so happy about this draft.

Also, Ballin, there is a reason Reggie Smith dropped so far. We didn't need him at all. I really love the Thomas pick.

BaLLiN
04-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Did you forget he's one of the most prolific WR's in Michigan history at a school that has some superb WR's (including our own Amani Toomer)?

Did you also forget he has something we've completely lacked in a WR (even with Moss), separation? The guy just knows how to burn a DB. Reese had a steal here, and his character issues are barely a factor, and mind you, I'm a guy who HATES players with character issues.

I am so happy about this draft.

Also, Ballin, there is a reason Reggie Smith dropped so far. We didn't need him at all. I really love the Thomas pick.

Yea he put up great numbers and is a junior aged 21, he has alot of time to develop and become a good #2 target for us.

He gets great seperation and has very good double moves, when i think Manningham i think homerun threat, i think explosion. Michigan is my favorite college team besides Miami, when i watched Michigan games i knew that the go to guy was Manningham and when he got the ball he was a threat to score every single time.

I really would like to know that reason, because when i watched him i fell in love, it happened last year with Aaron Ross and we got him so I was happy. The thomas pick really is so/so by me. It seems like he was a bit of a reach, but its not horrible.

hugegmenfan
04-27-2008, 05:48 PM
1. Kenny Phillips
2. Terrell Thomas
3. Mario Manningham
4. Bryan Kehl
5. Jonathan Goff
6. **Traded to move up in 4th**
6. Andre Woodson
6. Robert Henderson

Right now i feel like we did above average, but not fantastic. Phillips was great, Thomas was alright good fit for us but I really wouldve liked Reggie Smith over him, Mario was amazing, Kehl was good, Goff was good, Woodson i really really like the pick but we shouldve taken him a pick later to give him good luck because thats when brady was taken. Robert Henderson i know nothing about.

I was a little disappointed with our 2nd rounder, i also felt that we couldve gone OL or DT with our 5th, Ahtyba Rubin went in the 6th i think we couldve scooped him up and gotten a great rotation at DT instead of just a backup at LB.

he wouldve been nice, but i believe he is 25 or 26 years old, which is older than Ross is right now and his age was considered a big negative.

i am thrilled with this draft. i have always been a huge fan of john goff and called him one of my big sleepers in this draft after watching the senior bowl. also i think we only gave up a 6th this year and prob like a 5th next year to get kehl, which is really nothing because we are going to have high compensatory picks next year with the loss of wilson and mitchell and torbor. i like the manningham pick. its great value and he was very productive at michigan. i would say this means the end of the sinorice moss experiment, hell prob be released in training camp. woodson- i have no problem with the pick. he was highly rated at one point or another and its a 6th round pick that if he does not work out, we cut him, no big deal. but he has potential.

oldLibid21
04-27-2008, 06:28 PM
If I were a Giants fan, I'd be thrilled about this draft too. You guys picked up a good number of solid prospects - obviously the biggest one is Kenny Philips who most of you probably wanted. Remember, Philips was arguably a Top 15 draft pick some time during the year, and it was not that he did something horribly bad that it would warrant him to drop that low, it's just he was overshadowed by the many prospects that came out of no where.

The underrated draft pick is Jonathan Goff who I had the Falcons drafting in the third round in my personal mock draft. I wanted him because he is a tackle machine, and although he was a bit of a reach in the third round, I thought that teams would immediately be attracted to this fella' because of his solid size (build) and physique.

Andre Woodson is not as bad as a quarterback as the general public would make you think. He is a quarterback who has a few kinks in his armor, but which quarterback doesn't? He is still a serviceable back up in the end, and I am more than certain that Woodson is capable of being the second-string back up for the Giants in the next year or two after you guys get rid of David Carr. Keep in mind that Woodson was a Heisman hopeful in the beginning of the year, and he had one bad year. So what? You Giants fans should know that one bad year does not mean it's the end of the world. Look at Eli Manning and how he's overcomed the things he's had to overcome in his career here in New York. If I were to fix anything about Woodson, it'd just be his delivery. One would argue that the fact that he holds the ball a little too long would be the first thing that any coach would fix, but I think if you fix his mechanics, every thing else will slowly but surely fall into place.

Good luck to the New York Giants' Class of 2007 NFL Prospects.

bigbluedefense
04-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Let's break it all down:

1. Kenny Phillips
-it pained me to see Jenkins and Cason off the board. At that point in the draft, I liked Phillips with the 31 over anyone. Ive always been skeptical on him. When i saw him, I personally thought that his flaws were very correctable, and felt that most of his issues were because he tried to makeup for other's mistakes which made him look worse in the end. However, you hear scouts and they tell you he's not very good. Me personally, I feel that he will be a very good player for us. He'll trust his teammates, and he will have a dominant pass rush in front of him. I feel he'll revert back to his sophomore form, as most of his mistakes were mental and were due to a lack of confidence in his teammates. He should be our SS, he can stop the run, blitz, and cover the TE in man coverage. Thats just what we need.

2. Terrell Thomas
Im unsure of this one. Id feel a lot better on it if he had a better 40 time. He sounds the part, and when you put on the film he looks the part, but injury concerns and a slow 40 and hip movement scare me. I wanted an elite CB from this draft, I don't know if Thomas is that kind of guy. He can move to FS and be a dominant FS, but we drafted him as a CB. We'll see how this one goes, this was a gamble.

3. Mario Manningham
Absolutely love it. His character concerns are way overrated. He should be Toomer's heir on the left side. For a late 3rd, excellent value and im really happy with this pick. Great pick. This spells the beginning of the end for Sinorice. This pick indicates we're hoping Manningham will take over for Toomer, and entrench Steve Smith in the slot. That leaves no room for Sinorice. This is a wakeup call for him. Either step it up, or good bye. I have a feeling the latter will come true, as ive seen nothing from him to make me believe he'll make the leap we've been waiting for.

4. Bryan Kehl
Ive said all along all we needed was a depth LB on the weakside. He's just that. Great instincts, great character, he'll be serviceable behind Wilkinson. He fits with what we want, high character leaders with smarts and good production. I like it.

5. Jonathan Goff
Absolutely LOVE this pick. He's a younger Antonio Pierce. He'll be our eventual MIKE when Pierce has to hang it up. And he'll learn under Pierce too. Great player, the sledgehammer type of MIKE we need in our scheme, and has great intelligence, leadership, and studies a ton of film. He's PERFECT. Absolutely love him. We stole him. We're so stacked at LB now.

6. Andre Woodson
Believe it or not, when i projected the qb talent in this draft, I rated Woodson #2. I liked him that much. There was no way he shouldve fell so far. But he did, and we potentially land a solid back up to Eli. This pick is great for several reasons.

-It gives us a quality developmental backup to Eli
-it could mean we get to cut Carr in PS
-No more Anthony Wright
-if he does pan out, imagine if he does which I personally feel is possible, we now have a very valuable trading commodity 2 to 3 years down the road. And for a 6th round pick, we invested barely anything for what could be a potentially a great trading commodity. Can't lose with that.

6. Robert Henderson
.....who?

Overall, I really like this draft class. Once again, Reese did what we wanted him to do: he addressed needs in the right order, got high character quality guys, and added depth. We might not have any stars in this draft, but we have a lot of solid guys, and thats what wins championships. Only questionable pick was in round 2, but even if that doesn't pan out, you have to like what Reese did here.

I wouldve liked to have seen him be more aggressive early and grab Mike Jenkins, but hey what can you do. He seems to like to stand pat with his picks. One thing i did like was i felt we needed to address CB and Safety within the first 2 rounds. He did just that. Now the real question is, did we get the good Kenny Phillips or the bad one? And did we reach on a subpar CB? Those questions we won't know the answers to until the season starts.

Overall i give it a solid B for now.

NDfootball
04-27-2008, 07:28 PM
We did a very good job this year, I love the Ken Phillips pick, he should make an immediate impact, I really think he fits our system perfectly. Same thing with Thomas, it looks like the injuries are past him, good speed, good intangibles.

Manningham is a true boom or bust player. Beyond his character issues, I don't think he separates very well, and his route running and timed speed are just average. At least there shouldn't be any pressure on him this year, we definitely have enough options to let him develop for a few seasons.

Kehl and Goff were solid value picks that should be solid backups, both are athletic and again good character players.

Woodson was a potential steal. This guy was a monster in the SEC, if his throwing motion can be fixed, he has all the other tools to be a good starter. I can't believe he fell so far.

Don't know too much about Henderson, but we needed another DE so I like the pick.

Overall, I would grade our draft B/B+. We covered what we needed, I would have liked to see us get a backup guard or center, but I think we got pretty good value for our picks, and we're gonna come into the season without a glaring weakness.

BaLLiN
04-27-2008, 07:31 PM
i am thrilled with this draft. i have always been a huge fan of john goff and called him one of my big sleepers in this draft after watching the senior bowl. also i think we only gave up a 6th this year and prob like a 5th next year to get kehl, which is really nothing because we are going to have high compensatory picks next year with the loss of wilson and mitchell and torbor. i like the manningham pick. its great value and he was very productive at michigan. i would say this means the end of the sinorice moss experiment, hell prob be released in training camp. woodson- i have no problem with the pick. he was highly rated at one point or another and its a 6th round pick that if he does not work out, we cut him, no big deal. but he has potential.

i think we only gave up #194 and our 4th to move up, pittsburg was at #123 and we were at #130. We did give up like 6.5 value point though, which is really nothing.

hugegmenfan
04-27-2008, 07:33 PM
I would give us a B+, but i do not want to get too excited. i think goff in the 5th will be the pick we remember most in 5 years. phillips is a solid player and i like him a lot, but i think goff can be a star, no joke.

OSUGiants17
04-27-2008, 08:08 PM
overall I love this draft/Jerry Reese.

BaLLiN
04-27-2008, 08:28 PM
i love getting steals late, aka Super Mario, it just makes us seem that much smarter than everyone else.

BaLLiN
04-27-2008, 08:29 PM
and any news on URFA's, i really want Eric Young OG from Tennessee, we need some interior line depth. Also should look at Nick Watkins and Bobbie Williams

Forenci
04-27-2008, 08:43 PM
I pretty much agree with what you're saying, BBD.

However, I am a huge Terrell Thomas fan. I think he's going to be a stud, personally. He reminds me of exactly what we got in Aaron Ross. Physical, long arms, good (but not great) speed, smart and can play a vartiety of coverages - plus he can blitz too.

I cannot say it enough, I love Jerry Reese. He knows our needs, he knows talent, and he isn't afraid to reach a little bit to get someone he knows will fit our system (Alford, Thomas, and maybe Aaron Ross are all examples of this). Some people forget that at the time the draft swung around maybe people valued Ross as an early-mid second rounder.

Plus he's always looking for smart guys with great character. Perhaps I'm jumping the gun here, but I think we have the next great GM in Reese. Certainly it would be both unlikely and rare to ever have a draft like we did the previous year, but I think he did an excellent job here.

hugegmenfan
04-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Who else is smiling that we passed on Dan Connor 2 straight times? :) I am. Reese knew it. We knew it. GO GIANTS

BaLLiN
04-27-2008, 09:08 PM
someone said we signed URFA's Wallace Gilberry and Nemehiah Warrick. Ill look for a link

BaLLiN
04-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Who else is smiling that we passed on Dan Connor 2 straight times? :) I am. Reese knew it. We knew it. GO GIANTS

and the even sweeter thing about it is that we were right about not taking him, but dallas fans were wrong about not taking felix jones.

BaLLiN
04-27-2008, 09:10 PM

Also I swear to god if people give us that other PSU LB next year in the 1st or 2nd im gonna flip my lid.

TheGreatEscape
04-27-2008, 09:38 PM
I'm sorry but Manningham's hands are not good, watching Michigan was only fun if you took a shot everytime Manningham dropped a pass. As for his route running it was great as long as he ran a fly. I reallyhopehe works out for the gmen but I'm afraid that between his stupidity, laziness and lack of toughness he won't be better than Tim Carter.

BaLLiN
04-27-2008, 10:17 PM
seriously go back and watch his double moves, he is great at selling those. He ran alot of Curl-and-goes, or Stop-and-goes. Flys arent the only thing he runs. Ive seen him run alot of routes and he is better than average at almost all of them. Just needs to work on getting the ball over the middle.

Yes he did drop the ball too often, but you can correct that, its not like he has horrible hands or anything, he just needs to focus.

Tim Carter was all speed, Manningham gets good seperation and its not because of his speed, its because of his ability to sell the double moves, headfakes, etc. He does have good speed though.

WCH
04-27-2008, 11:57 PM
Hey guys. As a Packers fan, I just wanted to say congrats on another promising draft. :)

I think that Phillips and Manningham will push for starting jobs next season, with Thomas, Kehl, and Goff doing the same in '09. In fact, I've had my eye on Kehl for a long time now. Reese is the real deal at GM.

I may have my green-n-gold glasses on, but I'd like to think that our teams are getting in position to have a near-epic rivalry for a long time to come, and I think that I speak for all of us when I say: let's beat the Cowboys!

BaLLiN
04-28-2008, 12:14 AM
I think that I speak for all of us when I say: let's beat the Cowboys!
Amen to that

NotoriousT
04-28-2008, 03:07 AM
There's really no comparison between Tim Carter and Mario Manningham. Carter was a track athlete turned football player and Manningham is a football player first and foremost. His timed speed means absolutely nothing. If a guy runs a 4.6 at a combine in unnecessarily tight UnderArmor and runs a 4.39 on a football field with pads on, who cares? The 40 time is the most overrated thing in professional sports.

Manningham has the speed to get seperation. He DOES have good hands, what he lacks is concentration at times. He has shown he's able to make the acrobatic catch, can use his body well for a small guy, and comes up in the clutch. His route running isn't horrible like some people make it seem. Is he Steve Smith at running routes? No, he's not. However, they're different types of receivers and I think they'll end up complimenting each other nicely. Route running is something that can be taught and tweaked by both coaches and veteran receivers.

Manningham has all the tools, the question is can he keep his head on straight? I'm hoping so and I think he can do it.

touchdownmaker
04-28-2008, 10:12 AM
Good run down bigblue.

Yeah, I was close to losing my marbles when Jenkins was dropping. I wanted Reese to trade up. I am very happy with Philips though. Do you guys think Philips was better the Tyrelle Johnson?

BaLLiN
04-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Good run down bigblue.

Yeah, I was close to losing my marbles when Jenkins was dropping. I wanted Reese to trade up. I am very happy with Philips though. Do you guys think Philips was better the Tyrelle Johnson?

yes i personally do, he may not have all the intelligence just yet, but everything else is better IMO.

BaLLiN
04-28-2008, 04:31 PM
OUR RFA's

DE Wallace Gilberry, Alabama
FS Nehemiah Warrick, Michigan State
OT Glenn Bujnoch, Cincinnati
DE Antonio Reynolds, Tennessee
OG Andrew Bain, Miami
OT Dylan Thiry, Northwestern
OT Carnell Stewart, L.S.U.
WR D.J. Hall, Alabama

I think we have a few good players here on our hands. I think maybe one of these linemen will make our roster as an OG. Gilberry really impresses me as well as Hall.

BaLLiN
04-28-2008, 05:44 PM
DT Nate Robinson also signed as a URFA

TheGreatEscape
04-29-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm not denying Manningham can't become a deep threat. But he's not intelligent, doesn't show good character (lying about failed drug tests) and is soft.

D-Unit
04-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Congrats on a damn good draft.

Kenny Phillips - A+
Terrell Thomas - A-
Mario Manningham - B - This is a guy I hoped to dear God that Dallas wouldn't draft. Yet on the flip side, I had to see him on your team.
Kehl - A- - Good value pick
Goff - A+ - Great value pick
Woodson - A - Could be a major steal, gotta love the value

You guys get a solid A+ grade.

BaLLiN
04-29-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm not denying Manningham can't become a deep threat. But he's not intelligent, doesn't show good character (lying about failed drug tests) and is soft.

relax, give him a chance, we really know next to nothing about the real Manningham we're getting. All we know is what we see or dont see out on the field along with newsreports that are overplayed.

BaLLiN
04-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Congrats on a damn good draft.

Kenny Phillips - A+
Terrell Thomas - A-
Mario Manningham - B - This is a guy I hoped to dear God that Dallas wouldn't draft. Yet on the flip side, I had to see him on your team.
Kehl - A- - Good value pick
Goff - A+ - Great value pick
Woodson - A - Could be a major steal, gotta love the value

You guys get a solid A+ grade.

thats really generous to say the least

HEISMANHERSCHEL
04-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Phillips, Manningham and Woodson were great value.

By the way, if you dont like the Manningham pick, you can take the cowboys third round pick in a straight up trade. At least, if I was calling the shots.

Damn Giants did it again to me. Two years in a freaking row.

BaLLiN
04-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Phillips, Manningham and Woodson were great value.

By the way, if you dont like the Manningham pick, you can take the cowboys third round pick in a straight up trade. At least, if I was calling the shots.

Damn Giants did it again to me. Two years in a freaking row.

dont forget Goff :)

luee
05-12-2008, 11:31 PM
Good run down bigblue.

from the safety U.

TJ was playing against future gym teachers.