PDA

View Full Version : Rams' 2008 Draft

Geo
04-26-2008, 08:35 AM
The 2008 Draft is finally here!

It's Draft weekend, and best of luck to the St. Louis Rams in finding good players to help the team for the future.

Discuss the event here.

yodabear
04-26-2008, 12:51 PM
It looks like we will take Chris Long. LOVE the pick. He was defntly #1 on my list, but I would have been fine with Dorsey. But Long is a great selection. And hey our first game is @ the Eagles on FOX, Howie went to Villanova which is in Philly, FOX pregame show from our game in week 1?

Jakey
04-26-2008, 12:52 PM
Hey! Good pick...i thought id comment, cus there aint many Rams fans! :)

KCJ58
04-26-2008, 12:54 PM
how dare you Jakey, Chris Long should be the pick but i don't believe any rumors now because it's all ******** IMO

yodabear
04-26-2008, 12:57 PM
how dare you Jakey, Chris Long should be the pick but i don't believe any rumors now because it's all ******** IMO

IDK, Smith and Schefter have both reported it, so I think Long is ours!

KCJ58
04-26-2008, 12:58 PM
IDK, Smith and Schefter have both reported it, so I think Long is ours!

I'll believe it when the Comish calls his name

yodabear
04-26-2008, 12:59 PM
I'll believe it when the Comish calls his name

Just as long (that isn't a play on words), calls that we select Dorsey or Long, either way, I AM HAPPY!

NGSeiler
04-26-2008, 01:23 PM
I'm not going to believe anything until I see Goddell at the podium, but I'm hoping today's reports are right and Long is the guy!

KCJ58
04-26-2008, 02:13 PM
Chris Long is our man!

yodabear
04-26-2008, 02:14 PM
YAY HoWIE'S SPERM!

NGSeiler
04-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Love it. Absolutely love it!

Geo
04-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Congrats on Chris Long, Rams fans!

The team just added a franchise defensive end, he'll wreck some havoc like Merriman but without the syringes. The guy is Peyton Manning on defense imo, his work ethic will influence the team.

NGSeiler
04-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Chris Long on Sirius Radio after being picked by the Rams. Notes on interview transcribed by me:

-Most exhilarating moment of his life.

-Found out he'd be the pick when everyone else did. "What's up with that? *laughter*?" Said it was an adrenaline rush.

-Slept fine last night, knowing he didn't have to wake up real early.

-When he met with Haslett a while ago, said Haslett was excited about things he could do with Long. Said he talked to Linehan after the pick was made and thanked him, Linehan went to bat for Long and wanted him in St. Louis according to Chris

-Chris says he was the calmest one at his table, family going to give him a heart attack

-Howie is in better shape than he was an hour ago, biggest emotional roller coaster for Howie watching his son get drafted.

-Excited to be part of our D-line with Little and Carriker, first thing he wants to do is earn respect and show he's worth the pick with work ethic and performance.

holt_bruce81
04-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Chris Long on Sirius Radio after being picked by the Rams. Notes on interview transcribed by me:

-Most exhilarating moment of his life.

-Found out he'd be the pick when everyone else did. "What's up with that? *laughter*?" Said it was an adrenaline rush.

-Slept fine last night, knowing he didn't have to wake up real early.

-When he met with Haslett a while ago, said Haslett was excited about things he could do with Long. Said he talked to Linehan after the pick was made and thanked him, Linehan went to bat for Long and wanted him in St. Louis according to Chris

-Chris says he was the calmest one at his table, family going to give him a heart attack

-Howie is in better shape than he was an hour ago, biggest emotional roller coaster for Howie watching his son get drafted.

-Excited to be part of our D-line with Little and Carriker, first thing he wants to do is earn respect and show he's worth the pick with work ethic and performance.

This kid has a great head on his shoulders.

Tom Jackson said he's going to be better then Howie and Russ Lande (sporting news) said he will be better then Jared Allen and Aaron Kampman.

NGSeiler
04-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Why the Rams liked Chris Long
By Jeff Gordon
04/26/2008 2:54

Rams coach Scott Linehan pointed to the intangible qualities he brings to the team.

“He just brings energy and life to the building,” Linehan said. “At the end of the day, he was just what the doctor ordered.”

Here were some other highlights from the media briefing:

–The Rams were locked in on Chris Long for some time. Only Jake Long — and not Glenn Dorsey — could have moved the team off that pick.

–The Rams did not pull away from Dorsey because of medical concerns. “There wasn’t anything to make us stay away from Dorsey,” personnel czar Billy Devaney said.

–Other teams inquired about the second overall pick, but no team wowed the Rams with an offer.

–Keeping Adam Carriker at defensive tackle was another reason to take Long. “I like playing guys where they play,” said Linehan, proving he’s no Mike Martz when it comes to the draft.

“Adam made great strides there,” Linehan said. “I’d like to see Adam more in the ‘3′ technique.”

–Although Long played defensive end in the 3-4, as Carriker did, the Rams believe he can line up wide in the 4-3 and become an effective pass rusher.

–The Rams expect Long to start and become a three-down player, working equally well against the run and the pass.

NGSeiler
04-26-2008, 05:00 PM
We're at pick 26 and no receiver has been taken. The Rams may have a chance to get a good one (Jackson) with pick 33.

KCJ58
04-26-2008, 05:19 PM
great avatar NG

Hawk
04-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Donnie Avery?

NGSeiler
04-26-2008, 06:17 PM
I'm fine with this. The Rams needed to add speed to their receiver corps. Holt is losing his speed because of his knee injury. Bennett is a tall guy, not incredibly fast. Caldwell isn't going to burn you. Avery is one of the fastest guys in the draft, and he has better size than Jackson.

It seems obvious that NFL teams don't view this WR class as having a lot of top talent. Devin Thomas went right after we took Avery, but then the Packers took Jordy Nelson. Right now Jackson, Sweed, and Hardy are still on the board. Jackson's weight is probably worrying some teams. Sweed's injury could be the cause of his slip. Hardy has off the field character concerns.

Avery has elite quickness and is a deep threat. He has a lot of starting experience in college and was very productive. His ability to change direction is considered to be top notch. He needs to work on his route running and his ability to beat the jam at the line, but those are the kinds of things that can be taught. Legitimate 4.3 speed cannot. I think he'll be a good fit in Saunders' scheme, definitely a guy who could be a weapon in multiple receiver sets.

Again, the fact that Jordy Nelson got picked over Jackson, Sweed, Hardy demonstrates that NFL boards may not have had the WRs valued in the same manner as most fans and some analysts.

freebirdsrams02
04-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Great first day for the Rams!! I like both picks.

KCJ58
04-26-2008, 10:39 PM
the part i don't get is that the 1st receiver off th board (1st receiver taken) is Donnie Avery form Houston? that i don;t get, DeSean or Devin seems more of a likely pick if NO WR has been taken

freebirdsrams02
04-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Yea I was thinking that too. I thought Jackson would have been the pick. After watching some highlights of Avery he looks legit and someone that could help us in the return game as well as the WR spot.

What's going to happen tommorrow. There seems to be a lot of quality players left on the board. I would like to see the Rams trade back in the 3rd and maybe get 2 3rds or an extra 4th.

NGSeiler
04-26-2008, 11:06 PM
Bernie from his message board on Avery...

* He isn't as raw as some are suggesting.

* Henry Ellard worrked him out personally, twice, and put a great grade on this guy...

* Saunders told the brass when asked that he's the guy who best fits what he's trying to do, because he wants to put him in the slot (at first) and make defenses be accountable for his speed. Al wants to be able to spread that defense. Which makes a helluva lot of sense to me. Unless you all want to see more of the same, slow, plodding BS we were treated to last year.

* He has a chance to be a real threat as a KOR.

Call me silly, but I'll take the word over the great WR Henry Ellard and a pretty damned good offensive football coach (Saunders) over some insta-draft experts on this here Internet board.

SINCE1978
04-26-2008, 11:37 PM
who's going #2 in rd 3 fellas? Lions fan here liking K. Smith (no trouble there with you) but also like D. Connor... are you guys sniffing him at all?

Curious.

KCJ58
04-26-2008, 11:43 PM
yea who do you guys see as our 2nd pick in rond 3

gus82witten
04-26-2008, 11:48 PM
Vince Redd Would be a great pick!

nfrillman
04-27-2008, 01:37 AM
who's going #2 in rd 3 fellas? Lions fan here liking K. Smith (no trouble there with you) but also like D. Connor... are you guys sniffing him at all?

Curious.

They could definitely have an interest in Connor. The Rams are quite thin at LB. I think it will be O-line, S, or LB in 3rd round.

nfrillman
04-27-2008, 01:42 AM
The more I find out about Donnie Avery the more I like him. He has amazing quickness. His 3-cone drill time was 6.30, the 2nd best time was 6.57. He runs a sub 4.3 40, which I think everyone knows is lightning fast. He is 5'11" and right around 200 lbs. The main knock on him route running, which can be taught. You cannot teach unreal quickness and speed, on top of that he has good size (unlike Desean Jackson who is very slight). As for any talk about the Rams being able to wait until the 3rd round and get him, read this article:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=403984

There were 10 WR's taken in the 2nd round, if the Rams had this guy as the best WR they would feel real foolish if he got nabbed before their 3rd round pick. On top of that, what else would they have taken? The 8th best OT? The more I find out about him the more I like him than the other WR's in the draft who all have weaknesses I consider more significant. Devin Thomas is the only guy I would feel as comfortable with.

BTRams66
04-27-2008, 02:32 AM
I like the pick of Long. For me although Dorsey is great it just would send the wrong image and message to Carriker. I believe Linehan was right It would have been wrong to take Dorsey and then tell Adam to move over.

To me the pick was either Long or Gholston. As for Avery I really like the guy but the situation annoys the heck out of me. The Front Office knows its a reach and although we apparently got our man I believe we didn't get full value. I don't mean a different player, but DROP Down 10 spots and he's still there plus you get another pick.

As for round 3 any of these four

LB Cliff Avril
LB Erin Henderson
S Reggie Smith
OT Anothony Collins

NGSeiler
04-27-2008, 07:17 AM
As for Avery I really like the guy but the situation annoys the heck out of me. The Front Office knows its a reach and although we apparently got our man I believe we didn't get full value. I don't mean a different player, but DROP Down 10 spots and he's still there plus you get another pick.

There are multiple reports out there that seem to dispute the idea that he'd be there later.

As for guys to get later, I know a number of Rams fans clamoring for Dan Connor in the third round. That's certainly one potential direction, although I can't help but wonder if Miami's Tavares Gooden gives them more speed and versatility at the linebacker position. Reggie Smith and Justin King could bolster the secondary.

If the Rams are still looking for offensive line help, Anthony Collins will have to get some consideration at the top of round three, especially given how quickly tackles came off the board early on. I think from a value perspective, you have to look at NC State's DaJuan Morgan as someone you could take and groom behind Chavous to eventually start.

NGSeiler
04-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Rams take Toledo OL John Greco in the third round. He has potential at tackle and guard, and adding another guy to the interior line probably allows the Rams to feel more comfortable about moving Setterstrom inside to center.

KCJ58
04-27-2008, 10:44 AM
I like the John Greco pick, i watched him during the Senior Bowl and he did great, he played both OT and OG so he can be moved. For our next pick we need a DB and LB I can see Erin Henderson or Tyvon Branch/Justin King at pick #101

KCJ58
04-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Justin King was our #101 selection out of Penn State (Cornerback)

Trolfes
04-27-2008, 11:07 AM
So, I was in a wedding yesterday so I was kind of out of the loop for a day, and what a day I missed out on. Chris Long was a great pick, nothing wrong there. Donnie Avery is really fast and a good return man. He isn't as polished as Desean Jackson, but at least he is tall enough to develop into a number one or two receiver instead of a lifetime slot guy. Greco adds versatility and depth to the OL,which is always a good thing. Justin King is a headcase but can be a great corner if someone can develop him. If Haslett can do to King what he has supposedly done to wroten, we have a franchise corner sitting in our laps.

freebirdsrams02
04-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Greco will be used at every position on the line.

freebirdsrams02
04-27-2008, 11:09 AM
The Justin King pick is the steal of the round. He should have gone the beginning of the third round. It seems the Rams might be going the best player on the board and thats what they need to be doing. So far i like our draft.

nfrillman
04-27-2008, 12:27 PM
4th Round, Pick 128- Keenan Burton, WR, Kentucky

KCJ58
04-27-2008, 12:34 PM
4th Round, Pick 128- Keenan Burton, WR, Kentucky

I personally don't like the pick, we have bigger needs then just WR, also we traded up to get him, overall not the best selection

NGSeiler
04-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Burton I believe was in Rick Gosselin's top 100, making him good value there. When healthy, there's a lot to like about him as a WR capable of going over the middle. Rams still committed to getting younger at receiver with Avery and Burton.

Trading up for OG Roy Schuening was a good move as well. More depth to the O-line with a guy who potentially could have gone a round or two higher.

Just two seventh rounders left.

freebirdsrams02
04-27-2008, 09:00 PM
I think overall the Rams had a great draft. I was also sketchy when they jumped up to take Burton, but we never know whats going to happen. There is still some good players left that did not get drafted. Here are a few I like:

Ali Highsmith LB LSU
Tommy Blake DE TCU
Paul Smith QB Tulsa
Darius Reynaud WR West Virginia
Erin Henderson OLB Maryland
Marcus Griffin S Texas

holt_bruce81
04-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Rams sign Brandon McAnderson FB as an UDFA

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2008/apr/27/freeagent_frenzy_begins/

It's a solid pickup, he could stick.