PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs' 2008 Draft

Geo
04-26-2008, 08:50 AM
The 2008 Draft is finally here!

It's Draft weekend, and best of luck to the Kansas City Chiefs in finding good players to help the team for the future.

Discuss the event here.

T-RICH49
04-26-2008, 09:19 AM
I am so stoked for the draft.I wish it started at noon and not 2 pm ct

BaLLiN
04-26-2008, 09:23 AM
I think you guys trade down to Cincy, pick up a 3rd and future first. Then with your two firsts you go
1 (#9) Matt Ryan - even though i hate him
1 (#17) Limas Sweed
2 (#35) Chilo Rachal

T-RICH49
04-26-2008, 09:29 AM
I think you guys trade down to Cincy, pick up a 3rd and future first. Then with your two firsts you go
1 (#9) Matt Ryan - even though i hate him
1 (#17) Limas Sweed
2 (#35) Chilo Rachal

but we need tackles as well

vidae
04-26-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm not sure the Ravens pass on Ryan but we're going to find out soon!

So excited!

T-RICH49
04-26-2008, 02:53 PM
WOOOO Dorsey is a Chief!!!!!!!!!

BPhilb
04-26-2008, 03:28 PM
WOOOO Dorsey is a Chief!!!!!!!!!

My thoughts exactly. It's been a long time since we have been able to stop the run, but that shouldn't be a problem any more. I get more and more excited the more I think about this pick.

T-RICH49
04-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Albert might be there at 17.Dorsey+Albert Are you serious

BPhilb
04-26-2008, 03:47 PM
In every scenerio I dreamed up this one never came up. What a great 1st round for us. Props to Peterson and Edwards for making the move up to ensure they didn't lose out on a great opprotunity to grab Albert.

T-RICH49
04-26-2008, 03:53 PM
this is truely an unbelievable Chiefs draft so far.

vidae
04-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Dorsey + Albert, ARE YOU SERIOUS!

BPhilb
04-26-2008, 04:29 PM
It's shapeing up also like we will have some great options in round 2. Here's a few guys I am hoping we might have a shot at:

Cason - Returner and very good cover 2 corner.
DeSean Jackson - I'm not sure if he will get picked in round 1. He would be a great playmaker for us in many aspects.
Sam Baker - I'm not really in love with the guy but really he would probably fill a need at either RT or RG.
Mike Pollock - He's a safe pick who would start at center from day 1.
Tracy Porter - Another good option to play corner.
Lawerence Jackson - After taking Dorsey we probably won't go DLine early, but he's a great run stuffer.
Limas Sweed - I would wet my pants if he is still there for us.

Sleeper - Dan Conner

What's your guy's thoughts?

DJohnson56
04-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Really don't see how this could have gone any better for the Chiefs so far. What a great move getting Albert, I think the Eagles had their eye on him.

My only question is what if Brohm or Henne is still there in the 2nd?

vidae
04-26-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm hoping Cason or Brandon Flowers for Corners with the 2nd pick, or maybe a WR. None have been taken so far. All the top WRs are still on the board, so..

BPhilb
04-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Really don't see how this could have gone any better for the Chiefs so far. What a great move getting Albert, I think the Eagles had their eye on him.

My only question is what if Brohm or Henne is still there in the 2nd?

I don't see Henne being there. Brohm probably won't be either, but I would take him in a heartbeat if he happened to fall to us. Better yet we might get some trade offers is he's available at our spot.

villagewarrior
04-26-2008, 05:17 PM
At this point (what a fantastic first round for the Chiefs, by the way) I am hopeful that Merling slides to the 2nd round. I know we still have a lot of issues on the offensive side of the ball, but adding Dorsey and a Merling or a Calais Campbell to the defensive line could provide the foundation for a dominating defensive line for the next decade or so. Also wouldn't mind going with a Chilo Rachal to set up the offensive line. I really think we are in a great position to set up one of our lines for a long time.

T-RICH49
04-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Brandon Flowers in RD 2 would be too good to be true

BPhilb
04-26-2008, 05:32 PM
There is great value here in guards and receivers it appears. I would be happy with either. Corners got eaten up in round 1 so I don't think we will start filling that hole until tomorrow. I wouldn't be upset with Merling who I wasn't in love with in round 1, but would be good value here. Personally though I would take a guard or reciever here as we really have a chance to change the face of our offense.

Jayhawk92555
04-26-2008, 05:41 PM
Rachal or thomas/sweed would be great.

BPhilb
04-26-2008, 05:50 PM
I really didn't think Flowers would fall to us. I'm about to tear up over here. Hopefully some guards fall to us in round 3 and we get one of them and a receiver early tomorrow and we will be well on our way to respectability. Great job by our front office today.

vidae
04-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Dorsey, Albert and Flowers?

ABSOLUTELY PERFECT draft.

vidae
04-26-2008, 05:55 PM
We take a WR, guard and DE tomorrow and we are set.

vidae
04-26-2008, 05:58 PM
We take a WR, guard and DE tomorrow and we are set.

What a great job by our front office.

bspen4
04-26-2008, 06:04 PM
I wanna trade back in and take Brohm or a WR

T-RICH49
04-26-2008, 06:08 PM
I am in complete shock right now.We get arguably the best player in the whole draft, we also get the best guard with the ability to move to LT and we get a CB who is perfect for cover 2.

A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++

jaffe28
04-26-2008, 06:35 PM
As a Broncos fan I hate your draft so far. The Chiefs are gonna be a pain to deal with in a couple of years with this influx of talent. Sheeeeeeesh...

bspen4
04-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Maybe we can get Andre Caldwell in the 3rd to be a speed threat for us in the slot. That is my ideal first 3rd round pick

adschofield
04-26-2008, 08:02 PM
My Scenario for the 2nd Day:

3a. Mario Manningham or Lavelle Hawkins, WR
3b. Roy Schuening, OG
3c. Chris Ellis, DE
4. Tony Hills, RT
5a. Owen Schmitt, FB
5b. Steve Justice, C

IMO, all those guys could come in and start

vidae
04-26-2008, 08:50 PM
I honestly don't know how the Chiefs draft could have been better. Honestly. Best defensive player in the draft, one of the best (and most potential) offensive lineman and one of the players from this year I REALLY liked, Flowers, who can start on our defense as a rookie. He has experience in the c2 and will be a very good corner for us.

I like your draft, ads, it would be perfect and we would have at least six starters on the roster this year.

bspen4
04-26-2008, 09:20 PM
I'd still like us to take a QB. Maybe Andre Woodson, Ryan O'Hara, Kevin O'Connell, Dennis Dixon, Colt Brennan, Bernard Morris, Josh Johnson or Paul Smith

T-RICH49
04-26-2008, 09:30 PM
man I'm ready for tommorow NOW.I can't wait to see what will happen the rest of the way

BPhilb
04-26-2008, 09:34 PM
My Scenario for the 2nd Day:

3a. Mario Manningham or Lavelle Hawkins, WR
3b. Roy Schuening, OG
3c. Chris Ellis, DE
4. Tony Hills, RT
5a. Owen Schmitt, FB
5b. Steve Justice, C

IMO, all those guys could come in and start

I like this scenario. I do think though we will take a corner in round 3 as we are still thin there and Surtain is likely in his last year. I would love for Godfrey, Branch, or Reggie Smith to be picked in the round.

I love Manningham probably more than anyone on the board but I can understand if we don't take him. Caldwell and Doucet are both good blockers which is a key trait for our recievers.

I also think we need to get another lineman in round 3. Indy pissed me off when they took Pollock, but Cousins, Zutah, Collins, Reihnhart, or the like needs to fill out the rest of our line.

Herm said we were going to get players who can step in and play right away. Today we took guys from major programs who played multiple seasons as starters. I questioned the plan of the front office after the Allen trade but I do feel better now. The trade up for Albert was a great move given the ammo we had and ensuring that we got our guy. Man, I can't wait until tomorrow morning.

vidae
04-26-2008, 09:56 PM
I would love Zuttah here in KC. Instant starter. Collins too, maybe.

And I think Manningham would be a very good fit for us.

adschofield
04-26-2008, 10:43 PM
We (Toon, myself, and Vidae) talked about this in IRC, but what about taking Jamaal Charles in the 3rd? He would be at worst a great complement to LJ and could develop into a great starter...It would give us some insurance and plus Charles is a great receiver out of the backfield

BPhilb
04-26-2008, 10:55 PM
We (Toon, myself, and Vidae) talked about this in IRC, but what about taking Jamaal Charles in the 3rd? He would be at worst a great complement to LJ and could develop into a great starter...It would give us some insurance and plus Charles is a great receiver out of the backfield

I would not be opposed to taking a back, but with Kolby Smith already in the fold I would prefer we wait until round 4 or 5 to grab someone like Mike Hart or Justin Forsett. This is such a deep running back class that there will still be good value in the later rounds ecspecially since so many teams won't be taking backs. These guys aren't nearly as exciting as Charles, but we still need to find starters to fill some glaring holes and I don't think RB is a luxery we can afford to take this early.

adschofield
04-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Oh and if we want to go DE, the let's take Brian Johnston

BPhilb
04-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Oh and if we want to go DE, the let's take Brian Johnston

He could be our next Jared Allen. I imagine he will be around in round 5 or 6. He's a good sleeper guy. I also would keep Kendall Langford in the mix as he seemed to have a really good all-star season.

DJC
04-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Im jumping on the Chiefs bandwagon, adschofield already welcomed me too haha. I've been following the Chiefs some since the Priest days, and more last year when they drafted Dwayne Bowe, being a LSU fan. You've guys had a great draft so far, and it's only going to get better. It would be even more amazing if you guys can pull out something like Manningham/Doucet/Caldwell, Collins/Nicks/Cousins, and Avril/Ellis/Johnston, and still have picks to take BPA and some more olineman tommorow. I think you'll get more than 5 solid starters from this draft. Im pretty impressed thus far though.

bobindallas
04-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Congrats to Peterson.

Wow. Don't think you can go wrong tomorrow.

adschofield
04-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Branden Albert Q&A

Q: What does it feel like to be a member of the Chiefs?

ALBERT: 的知 ecstatic right now. I知 happy to playing for Coach Herm Edwards and coach (Bob) Bicknell, the offensive line coach. I got drafted with probably the best player in the draft, Glenn Dorsey. I知 happy about that. I知 happy about going to Kansas City and blocking for Larry Johnson. I知 happy to be playing for a team with a great tradition for offensive linemen. I知 just really happy right now.

Q: You played guard at Virginia, how well do you think you can do at tackle in the NFL?

ALBERT: 的値l be fine at left tackle. I知 a good athlete for my size and I値l be fine at left tackle.

Q: Why didn稚 you move to tackle when T D達rickashaw Ferguson left?

ALBERT: 徹ur coach wanted the five best linemen on the field. I did pretty well my freshman year at left guard and I missed spring football and that was the idea to move me out to tackle and having me change roles. But we had another redshirt freshman named Will Parker that was pretty good. So Coach kept both of us on the field with the other two seniors and had the best five linemen. It ended up working out this year.

Q: What was today like for you with all the first round trades?

ALBERT: 摘verybody had me as a top-10 pick and a lot had me going fifth to the Chiefs. But they made the Jared Allen trade so they got their defensive player, Glenn Dorsey, and I knew they were trying to get a tackle with their 17th pick. I知 thinking that Philadelphia wanted me bad and they might move up, but Kansas City wanted me more and traded back up to the 15th pick to get me. I知 very happy.

Q: Does that make you feel good to be a wanted guy?

ALBERT: 摘ven though I didn稚 go where I thought I was going, they traded up and that means they wanted me badly. I知 happy I was in demand like that.

Q: Is it true you didn稚 play football until your junior year of high school?

ALBERT: 添ep, I didn稚 start playing football until my junior year. I was always a basketball player. I grew up in New York and when I moved to Maryland with my brother. I was pushed to football because that痴 where they thought my talent would be. It ended up working out for the best.

Q: Can you talk about your relationship with Kansas State head coach and former Virginia Assistant Coach Ron Prince?

ALBERT: 鼎oach Prince helped mold me into the player I am today. He helped put that mentality of being a killer [in me] and when I pull to crush people and be a technician. And Coach Groh used to go over that after, but Coach Prince helped that mold and he laid the ground work with me. I remember when he left [Virginia] he said, 塑ou池e going to be an NFL player, son. He always believed in me even though he was hard on me. I always respected him as a coach.

Q: How do you feel about being a cornerstone of the Chiefs rebuilt offensive line?

ALBERT: 的 was a captain at the University of Virginia and I was the head of my offensive line at Virginia. It痴 a bigger step and a bigger level, but I致e just got to step my game up. Being that cornerstone of that offensive line will elevate my game and puts pressure on me to be a better player. I won稚 crack until pressure.

BPhilb
04-27-2008, 12:07 AM
Good read. I'm glad to see our first two picks both seemed excited to be Chiefs. I love the fact that we have two guys that appear to love football. Drafts have been much more fun since Herm came on board. I'm actually excited about the future of the club now.

adschofield
04-27-2008, 12:28 AM
Brandon Flowers Interview...He seems like a very intelligent young man

Q: What does it feel like to be a member of the Chiefs?

FLOWERS: 的t feels great. I致e got an opportunity that I致e been waiting for for a long time. They致e got a guy I致e been looking up to for a long time, Patrick Surtain. It痴 definitely a great feeling.

Q: How much has all of your film study helped you as a player?

FLOWERS: 的t helps you a lot. You feel like you池e two steps ahead of everybody else. It seems like the game slows down so much more. You池e playing more anticipation football than reaction football.

Q: About the opportunity to play right away with the Chiefs

FLOWERS: 的 love it. They池e putting a big test on me. I want to show them that I知 ready to come in right away and play. They wouldn稚 have drafted me if they didn稚 think I could play. So they are definitely counting on me and I知 just going to do my part, what I致e been doing all my life, making plays. I致e been looking forward to this opportunity and I won稚 let it slip away.

Q: On playing for a coach that played cornerback

FLOWERS: 的t痴 going to be a better part of my game. If the head coach has done the things of a cornerback and can help you out, that痴 a big plus. That痴 something I知 definitely looking forward to. I know he had a great rookie year with like eight interceptions. I知 forward looking to trying to do the same thing with his coaching and also Coach David Gibbs.

Q: Did the Chiefs challenge you in your interview?

FLOWERS: 典o be honest, when they put stuff on the board, I like it. It痴 kind of simple to me. I love football. I love studying football and I love learning new things about football. When they start going over the coverages and stuff, it was a lot of the stuff I did in college but with different terminology. Once I figure out the terminology I plan on having a smooth transition and I値l be fine.

Q: Can you talk about how playing at a major program like Virginia Tech prepared you for the NFL?

FLOWERS: 撤laying at Virginia Tech we played against some of the best talent in the ACC and the SEC in playing LSU this year. Playing against top players definitely makes your game better. Playing for Coach Frank Beamer he doesn稚 just help you on the field, he prepares you for life by being responsible and being a professional wherever you go. I知 looking forward to taking that with me to Kansas City.

Q: Can you talk about the quick decision to turn pro after your junior season?

FLOWERS: 典o be honest, after my sophomore year I kind of knew the game was very slow to me. I just knew coming into my junior year that if I had a nice year that I planned on having and after talking to my defensive backs and we decided that I知 ready for the NFL. I had another year like I played and I was ready to make that jump.

Q: How did you pile up 18 tackles for loss as a cornerback?

FLOWERS: 展hen I blitz I love to make plays. I知 the type of corner that loves to get physical. If I知 on the line with no receivers and just playing the tight end, I love to play off the tight end blocking and go hit a running back in the mouth and make a play.

Q: The Cover Two scheme relies on corners making plays against the run, do you embrace that role?

FLOWERS: 典o me if they say corners are just to cover, I don稚 believe in that. Corners are there to make plays. If they run the ball, make a play on the running back. If they throw the ball, make a play on the ball. I just think I知 a playmaker. Run or pass I just have to make a play for my team.

Q: Any corners you pattern your game after?

FLOWERS: 典o be honest I don稚 try to pattern my game, but just got a technique from corners. I have my own original style. I do try to study how they read a three-step (drop). I don稚 just pattern myself after one corner. All of the great cornerbacks have something that another corner doesn稚 have. I try to take a little piece of every cornerback and put it in my game to make myself a more complete corner.

adschofield
04-27-2008, 12:29 AM
Glenn Dorsey Interview

Q: How are you doing today?

DORSEY: 的 am doing real well. This is the best I have ever felt. I am excited to have to opportunity.

Q: Were you surprised you fell to the Chiefs?

DORSEY: 的 don稚 look at as I fell to the Chiefs. Each team had what they wanted to do and I didn稚 come in with any expectations. What picked me I was going to be excited.

Q: What do you bring to the Chiefs?

DORSEY: 的 bring relentless effort is first and foremost. I feel like I will come out and give my all no matter what. I am a guy who come in and work hard. I am going to try and go out to earn the respect of my teammates and coaches. I am guy who is going to bring my personality to it. I like to get involved with the fans. I heard the fans are amazing. I am just looking forward to the opportunity.

Q: Are you going to get to the quarterback?

DORSEY: 徹f course. A lot of that.

Q: Have you talked to (WR) Dwayne Bowe?

DORSEY: 哲o not yet. I am going to call him in a little while.

Q: How will attacking the quarterback more make a difference in your game?

DORSEY: 的t will make it a lot different. At LSU we did a lot of two-gap gap and a little freedom. When you play this it allows you to make more plays. It allows you to be more athletic in what you doing? I am really looking forward to that opportunity.

Q: What did coach (Herm) Edwards say to you on the phone?

DORSEY: 滴e asked me, how I was doing and told me I had a great college career. He asked how I would like to be a Kansas City Chief. I said, 的 would love to be a Kansas City Chief.

Q: What did it mean when coach Edwards came down to your workout?

DORSEY: 的t meant a lot. I got a good vibe from him and he gave me some great advice. Even when I came up to visit he talked to me a long time and talked to me about the whole business part of it, what people expect from me. I feel like we had a great connection.

Q: What you feel about a team drafting so many players?

DORSEY: 的 feel like that is great. All of that draft stuff is fine, but that ends right away. I look at it as a positive. I am going into a great system where I can play immediately. I know veterans are guaranteed so many spots and I know that just because I am high draft pick does not mean that I will play. I have to work for it and I am looking forward to that.

Ho0k Em'
04-27-2008, 01:14 AM
Best Chiefs draft EVER!!!

3. Rob Schuening
3. Manningham/Bennett/Doucet i don't really care
3. Chris Ellis
4. Chevis Jackson
4. Andre Woodson
5. Korey Lightensteiger
6. Owen Schmitt
6. Dejuan Tribble (could be a good nickelback oneday and can help in the return game)
7. dont matter
7. dont matter

vidae
04-27-2008, 01:53 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/04/26/now_this_was_big/

And without even playing a game, he’s had an impact on the team’s defense. Tamba Hali is going to move from left end to right end, to replace Jared Allen. Alfonso Boone will move outside form tackle to left end. Dorsey moves into the tackle spot with Tank Tyler and Ron Edwards.

Interesting.

vidae
04-27-2008, 02:03 AM
Im jumping on the Chiefs bandwagon, adschofield already welcomed me too haha. I've been following the Chiefs some since the Priest days, and more last year when they drafted Dwayne Bowe, being a LSU fan. You've guys had a great draft so far, and it's only going to get better. It would be even more amazing if you guys can pull out something like Manningham/Doucet/Caldwell, Collins/Nicks/Cousins, and Avril/Ellis/Johnston, and still have picks to take BPA and some more olineman tommorow. I think you'll get more than 5 solid starters from this draft. Im pretty impressed thus far though.

Welcome! ;)

T-RICH49
04-27-2008, 07:19 AM
my possible KC 3rd round

3a. Early Doucet or Earl Bennett
3b. Charles Godfrey
3c. Anthony Collins

bored of education
04-27-2008, 08:39 AM
wow.......

Hermstheman83
04-27-2008, 09:16 AM
Dan Connor is still available, can he play MLB? I think there's still a top tier guard available too...

BPhilb
04-27-2008, 09:43 AM

Wow..Was Peterson in the room with you guys? :)

Hermstheman83
04-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Yea, good call...what's up with that tight end though?

adschofield
04-27-2008, 09:50 AM
IDK, the Cottam pick isn't horrible considering Gailey likes to run 2-TE sets, but I would have liked to go someplace else

Oh, and I love the Charles pick

Hermstheman83
04-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Scott said this Morgan guy could be the best safety coming out...not too shabby either. I'm surprised we haven't addressed WR yet though.

BPhilb
04-27-2008, 10:01 AM
We really went with two boom or bust guys in tround 3 with Cottam and Morgan. There is a chance these guys could be stars or could be horrible. All said though we are bringing some serious talent into training camp this year.

Joeyjr09
04-27-2008, 10:01 AM
I thought you guys had a great day 1 and were set to really take off today but lackluster picks by yall to say the least.

A backup RB in round 3, even with LJ and Smith on the roster?

A backup TE in round 3?

I like the Morgan pick but did you really need another safety that high?

I mean not that the players are bad but damn, your GM went for backups and lesser needs instead of hitting on the OL, WR and even another CB that would really help you guys out.

adschofield
04-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Well, it's a two-back league and Charles will come in and spell LJ, who really showed the effects of overuse last year...He's a perfect complement and is everything that LJ is not. He could end up stealing LJ's job

Cottam...Ehh it's an ok pick...Gailey likes 2-TE sets and Cottam has solid tools and could take over for Tony G in a couple of years.

I love the Morgan pick...Page and pollard were disapointing last year, and one of them is going to lose their job...Plus Morgan is a much better fit for the Cover 2.

vidae
04-27-2008, 10:10 AM
lol

I like the last few picks. I was hoping for OL when Morgan was picked, but he could probably take over a spot from Page or Pollard. I like the TE pick. He's big, quick, and can learn behind the best TE in nfl history for a year or two.

Jamaal Charles compliments LJ so well it's stupid. He was a great pick.

BPhilb
04-27-2008, 10:15 AM
I thought you guys had a great day 1 and were set to really take off today but lackluster picks by yall to say the least.

A backup TE in round 3?

I mean not that the players are bad but damn, your GM went for backups and lesser needs instead of hitting on the OL, WR and even another CB that would really help you guys out.

Morgan will be a dime back if he doesn't start at safety. He is versitle and replaces what Benny Sapp used to do for us. Cottam is replacing Jason Dunn which is a big piece on our offense. Charles didn't really fit a need but he was awfully talented to be there at the top of round 3. There is some sense to this. I imagine Peterson has a guard in that later rounds that he likes and you can't argue with his history of drafting interior lineman.

Ho0k Em'
04-27-2008, 10:16 AM

A backup TE in round 3?

I'm kind of dissappointed with our 3rd round also. I like the Charles pick because Charles is a stud and a great compliment to LJ. If LJ doesn't step his game up he could be out of KC in a couple years. The TE wasn't a bad pick because we lost Dunn and Wilson, but I would of rather had Doucet or Zuttah. I don't like the Morgan pick. I like his potential, but I would've rather had a WR(Manningam) or Zuttah. Herm said he wanted 6 starters out of this draft, but he used our 3 3rd's on backups.

Ho0k Em'
04-27-2008, 10:22 AM
lol

I like the last few picks. I was hoping for OL when Morgan was picked, but he could probably take over a spot from Page or Pollard. I like the TE pick. He's big, quick, and can learn behind the best TE in nfl history for a year or two.

Jamaal Charles compliments LJ so well it's stupid. He was a great pick.

Page has no business being replaced, and although Pollard had some struggle I still think he could be a very good safety. I would rather see Morgan play some corner and rotate at safety, and maybe have him line up across from Flowers in a few years.

I just don't get passing on a guy who could come in and start for us like Zuttah 3 times.

adschofield
04-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Pollard and Page were trash last year...Morgan will start

Ho0k Em'
04-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Pollard and Page were trash last year...Morgan will start

Page wasn't trash last year, and Pollard got beat deep alot but that was his main knock. There is a chance that Morgan could come in and start over Pollard, but Morgan has started one year on the college level, and fell to the 3rd round for a reason. If he shows in training camp that he can come in and start over Pollard or Page than i'm all for it, but right now I have no reason to believe that's going to happen.

vidae
04-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Zuttah was a reach where he was selected and you have to look at the board. Carl Nicks, Anthony Collins still available. So is Shuening. But let's look at the picks.

Jamaal Charles: Such insane value. Solid pick. He is the PERFECT compliment to LJ. He's not a "starter" but he will see carries spelling LJ.

Brad Cottom: I was meh on this, but he's a physical freak. Ran well, he's very tall, and he has a chance to learn the TE game from arguably the best in the history of the NFL. He could develop into a very good TE.

Dajuan Morgan: Page or Pollard, one of them will be a special teamer and lose their starting spot this year. Our Safety play was not very good. I like Page and Pollard, but Morgan will start at one of the positions for us this next year.

All the picks were very solid football players who will contribute right away, and that's all we could ask for.

BPhilb
04-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Wesley is gone and we are extremely thin at Safety which is such an important postion for us. Morgan is extremely talented and really doesn fill a need for us. I am hoping to get an OG and WR soon though.

Ho0k Em'
04-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Zuttah was a reach where he was selected and you have to look at the board. Carl Nicks, Anthony Collins still available. So is Shuening. But let's look at the picks.

Jamaal Charles: Such insane value. Solid pick. He is the PERFECT compliment to LJ. He's not a "starter" but he will see carries spelling LJ.

Brad Cottom: I was meh on this, but he's a physical freak. Ran well, he's very tall, and he has a chance to learn the TE game from arguably the best in the history of the NFL. He could develop into a very good TE.

Dajuan Morgan: Page or Pollard, one of them will be a special teamer and lose their starting spot this year. Our Safety play was not very good. I like Page and Pollard, but Morgan will start at one of the positions for us this next year.

All the picks were very solid football players who will contribute right away, and that's all we could ask for.

How would Zuttah have been a reach he was regarded by many as the 3rd best pure OG in the draft. I like the Charles pick, but I would've much rather had Zuttah the Cottom. I think we could've gotten a blocking TE in the 4th. I've warmed up to the Morgan pick, and actually kind of like it now. I think we will regret not taking Zuttah though.

BPhilb
04-27-2008, 10:51 AM
How would Zuttah have been a reach he was regarded by many as the 3rd best pure OG in the draft. I like the Charles pick, but I would've much rather had Zuttah the Cottom. I think we could've gotten a blocking TE in the 4th. I've warmed up to the Morgan pick, and actually kind of like it now. I think we will regret not taking Zuttah though.

I thought maybe we had Cousins on the radar but he is gone to. I really am hoping for Branch in round 4 to complete our secondary.

Ho0k Em'
04-27-2008, 10:55 AM
I thought maybe we had Cousins on the radar but he is gone to. I really am hoping for Branch in round 4 to complete our secondary.

Who???(10)

BPhilb
04-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Nevermind. Damn Raiders.

Ho0k Em'
04-27-2008, 11:07 AM
LOVE the franklin pick.

BPhilb
04-27-2008, 11:08 AM
We stuck with the hometown boy in Will Franklin. Not a bad pick though I'm suprised with Anthony Collins on the board we didn't go there. Franklin defenitly adds some speed to our reciever group.

bspen4
04-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Now we need a QB. I want Andre Woodson

Joeyjr09
04-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Love you guys getting Franklin. I think you guys and my Dolphins are battling for tops in the draft right now. Have to say tho, with all your problems at OL, surprised you have only drafted a guard that will convert to LT and didn't go to the OL well with one of your 849234802 other picks. Luckily guys are dropping so maybe you'll still get a good one.

Ho0k Em'
04-27-2008, 11:16 AM
No we need a QB. I want Andre Woodson

I want Woodson really bad too. I want us to get Woodson, Ainge or Johnson, but Johnson is probably the only one thats going to be there in the 5th.

vidae
04-27-2008, 11:30 AM
I'm hoping we take an offensive lineman in the 5th. A lot of the top ones (3rd round projections) are falling and still on the board as I type this. We'll see.

BPhilb
04-27-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm hoping we take an offensive lineman in the 5th. A lot of the top ones (3rd round projections) are falling and still on the board as I type this. We'll see.

Yep. The patience may pay off. There are some real good centers still on the board which I think might be our next direction. Of course Carl Nicks is still there which even given all of his concers would be a huge coup in round 5.

BPhilb
04-27-2008, 12:11 PM
For round 5 here's what I'm wanting with our pick assuming these guys are still here:

1. Donald Thomas G UConn
2. Steve Justice C Georgia Tech
3. Carl Nicks T Nebraska
4. Raymond Felton G Arkansas

All big physical guys who can run block. Some real talent is left out there.

asmitty45
04-27-2008, 12:58 PM
I just wanted to congratulate you guys on getting Brandon Carr the CB from Grand Valley.

I got a chance to see his pro day, he worked out at MSU with our players, and he was very impressive in every drill. Very quick and has great leaping ability.

As a 5th rounder he's a very solid pick.

Ho0k Em'
04-27-2008, 01:13 PM
I just wanted to congratulate you guys on getting Brandon Carr the CB from Grand Valley.

I got a chance to see his pro day, he worked out at MSU with our players, and he was very impressive in every drill. Very quick and has great leaping ability.

As a 5th rounder he's a very solid pick.

Thanks, thats good to hear i've been trying to find some info on him.

vidae
04-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Richardson! Great pick in the 6th.

bspen4
04-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Why havent we taken Andre Woodson. Great backup plan for when we realize Croyle sucks

vidae
04-27-2008, 02:51 PM
I was hoping we were going to take Woodson right there, oh well.

bspen4
04-27-2008, 02:58 PM
3rd pick of the 7th round we get him IMO

T-RICH49
04-27-2008, 04:08 PM
love the Brian Johnston pick in the 7th.I know we did'nt get as much OL as we'd all like but I'd still call this a successful draft

BPhilb
04-27-2008, 05:04 PM
love the Brian Johnston pick in the 7th.I know we did'nt get as much OL as we'd all like but I'd still call this a successful draft

Me too. Johnston has a chance to be a third down pash rusher this year even. Good draft overall for sure with a lot of guys that will contribute immediatley.

You guys that were wanting Woodson though shouldn't be too upset. The guy has such a slow release that he isn't going to survive in the NFL. If Croyle doesn't work out we will probably start the JP Losman era next season.

bspen4
04-27-2008, 05:14 PM
I like our draft but I would of really been happier if we took a QB. Hopefully we get an UDFA

Hermstheman83
04-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Me too. Johnston has a chance to be a third down pash rusher this year even. Good draft overall for sure with a lot of guys that will contribute immediatley.

You guys that were wanting Woodson though shouldn't be too upset. The guy has such a slow release that he isn't going to survive in the NFL. If Croyle doesn't work out we will probably start the JP Losman era next season.

Yeah, I am hoping Croyle proves a lot of people wrong this year. I'm sure we'll find someone in the UDFA. When reading the draft report on Johnston, I think he's the next "jared allen", or maybe I am just hoping. but I don't think our pass rush will be too bad with Dorsey and Tank in the middle, Tamba, Turk and Boone(can't beleive that) outside, and even Johnston? We got an awesome spell back for Johnson, a big blocking tight end and (spit) Gonzo's eventual replacement
The more I think about it, I think we've gotten a lot of OL talent quietly...Through the draft and through FA, more to come with UDFA.
The only think I'm worried about is CB, Flowers will be an instant starter, but who's our nickel back and replacement for Surtain?

bored of education
04-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Carr is loved by Herm Edwards. Watch him to make some moves

vidae
04-27-2008, 05:53 PM
Brandon Carr can work a year behind Surtain and possibly be a starter next year. He breaks to the ball really well, can jump, and will be an excellent cover two corner. Herm loves this guy.

As for Johnston, EXCELLENT pick in the 7th round. This guy can be a player at this level. boe, ads and I kept screaming in irc for us to take him and we finally did late. Was a great great pick.

Overall, the draft was a HUGE success. They drafted exceptionally well this year. We have a few more years to develop, but if we have another draft like this, it'll be sooner rather than later.

T-RICH49
04-27-2008, 06:05 PM
I really love the Charles pick the more I think about it.I mean you have LJ wearing down defenders then bring Jamaal in to hit the long run

vidae
04-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Charles was a fantastic pick. He is a great compliment to LJ and this has become a two back league.

Hermstheman83
04-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Brandon Carr can work a year behind Surtain and possibly be a starter next year. He breaks to the ball really well, can jump, and will be an excellent cover two corner. Herm loves this guy.

As for Johnston, EXCELLENT pick in the 7th round. This guy can be a player at this level. boe, ads and I kept screaming in irc for us to take him and we finally did late. Was a great great pick.

Overall, the draft was a HUGE success. They drafted exceptionally well this year. We have a few more years to develop, but if we have another draft like this, it'll be sooner rather than later.

I couldn't find too much on Brandon Carr, I do know that's a pretty good school in D2, and generally speaking Herm knows how to draft DB's....So let's look at this;
Glen Dorsey and Branden Alberts will immediately shore up our Lines, Let's hope alberts can step in immediately and play LT. Flowers will instantly come in and play CB#2. Charles is our home run threat with LJ in the back(Darren Who?). Cottam and Carr will be starters not this year, but next year, and contribute immediately. We added very good depth at WR. Solidified our Guard position with the other tackle we picked up.......i'd go on but you get the point.

Guys..I hate to say this, but do you think we could push for a playoff spot this year?

villagewarrior
04-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Well certainly on paper it seems that the Chiefs hit home runs in the Jared Allen deal. We need 3-4 years to see how this all pans out but there is great reason to be excited right now.

The way I'm looking at it, it looks like they have brought in three guys who should be starting right away: Dorsey, Albert and Flowers. I expect Morgan, Franklin and Richardson to at the very least challenge for starting spots. So those are between 3-6 new starters right there. Charles, Cottam and Carr should receive extensive playing time as reserves, while Johnston looks like he'll get a shot at being a pass rush specialist while his body develops into a starting caliber end. Robinson and Charles look like they will be looked at as potential returners. Merritt, well, I'm not quite sure why they went back to the TE well with Gonzalez, Allan (from last year) and now Cottam, but nfl.com says he is a good blocking tight end, so maybe we are just being cautious seeing as how Gailey likes to utilize the 2 TE set (which I love, btw).

Potential starting offensive lineup this year:

QB: Brodie Croyle
RB: Larry Johnson
FB: Oliver Hoyte (maybe?)
WR: Dwayne Bowe
WR: Jeff Webb, Will Franklin, Devard Darling (we have options here)
TE: Tony Gonzalez
LT: Damion McIntosh
LG: Brian Waters
C: Rudy Niswanger
RG: Barry Richardson
RT: Branden Albert

I think Albert and Richardson are interchangeable, but I would start them both off on the right side just to get them acclimated to the league. We won't be competing for a Super Bowl run this year, so no reason to expose either to the left tackle spot just yet. We have tons of options at WR, and Maurice Price is still around a guy I was high on last year.

Defense:
RE: Tamba Hali
NT: Tank Tyler
UT: Glenn Dorsey
LE: Turk McBride (no one in their right mind would start Boone at end)
LB: Donnie Edwards
LB: Napolean Harris
LB: Derrick Johnson
RC: Patrick Surtain
LC: Brandon Flowers
SS: Bernard Pollard
FS: Jarrad Page

The lineup looks a lot uglier without Allen in it, but what'cha gonna do? If Tyler and Dorsey both pan out we could have our own Henderson-Stroud combo for the next 6-7 years. I'm worried about the pass rush and the secondary, but this team should be a ***** to run against.

Special Teams:
K: Who knows, we have three right now.
P: Dustin Colquitt
KR: BJ Sams, Kevin Robinson, Jamaal Charles
PR: The same

Robinson was listed as the best return man in the country by NFL.com, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Either way, and sorry this is such a long winded post, I think it's obvious how excited I am, the Chiefs suddenly have a ton of young talent spread across the field. They are unproven, and they are inexperienced, so the most important thing is for Carl to GET THEM SIGNED, and get them here so they are learning and ready to go for camp. Don't wait, Carl, get it done now.

Also, it appears Dorsey will wear 72, Albert 76, and Flowers 20, as per kcchiefs.com's roster page.

vidae
04-27-2008, 06:49 PM
That really depends on the players and on Brodie. This is a team in transition. Today we took a HUGE step in the right direction for this franchise. I have nothing but faith in Branden Albert being able to move directly to LT his rookie year. There will be some struggling, but everyone does (with the exception of Joe Thomas)

It really depends on the quality of play we get from the trenches and how Croyle does. If LJ is fully healed, and our line seems to be solid (Herb Taylor possibly stepping into the fold, with Barry Richardson and Niswanger fighting for spots as well, and Albert on the left) we could.

Also, I think Will Franklin can come in right away and start, btw. He is fast with exceptional hands. He is a good burner opposite of Bowe.

Man, I am excited!

vidae
04-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Village, I always enjoy reading your posts, but I'm going to disagree with one thing.

Throw Albert in at LT right now. He can only benefit from having Brian Waters there. Throw him into the fire and see how he handles himself. I think he's going to be better there than a lot of people realize, and playing with a player of Waters caliber can only help him. Move McIntosh to RT, Niswanger at C, and Richardson and Herb Taylor compete for the RG spot, so:

LT: Branden Albert
LG: Brian Waters
C: Rudy Niswanger
RG: Barry Richardson/Herb Taylor
RT: Damion McIntosh

Hermstheman83
04-27-2008, 06:54 PM
They are unproven, and they are inexperienced, so the most important thing is for Carl to GET THEM SIGNED, and get them here so they are learning and ready to go for camp. Don't wait, Carl, get it done now.

Also, it appears Dorsey will wear 72, Albert 76, and Flowers 20, as per kcchiefs.com's roster page.

Well said..........

Hermstheman83
04-27-2008, 06:56 PM
Also, with our running game now(hopefully) and improved line, we, at the very least, determine whether or not Brodie is the QBOTF

vidae
04-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Yeah I think if we get the line worked out (and the rumor that we're switching to ZBS) and LJ is healthy, LJ and Charles is a great 1-2 combo, we can work the playaction again, get Bowe and Tony G (among others) the ball and see how he handles it.

It would be nice to see how he plays when he's not throwing from his back. If it doesn't work out we'll probably have a high draft pick next year and we can get a QB then!

adschofield
04-27-2008, 07:16 PM
My Line-Up without the obvious positions

LT: Albert
LG: Herb Taylor
C: Brian Waters
RG: Barry Richardson
RT: McIntosh

There seems to be questions about whether Niswanger will be ready for opening day and the Chiefs seem willing to move Waters to Center

DE: Tamba Hali
DT: Glenn Dorsey
DT: Tank Tyler
DE: Turk McBride
OLB: DJ
MLB: Donnie Edwards
OLB: Demorrio Williams
CB: Pat Surtain
FS: DaJuan Morgan
SS: Page or Pollard
CB: Brandon Flowers

K: Carney
P: Colquitt
KR/PR: K-Rob

adschofield
04-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Theme Song for Our Draft: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJA69C6SlRk

"It's a new dawn, It's a new day.."

How fitting...

villagewarrior
04-27-2008, 07:25 PM
I have to do this.

Right now, this is what we can look forward to for the 2009 draft:

1. QB. I think with this draft we will be able to determine whether or not Brodie is the guy. I don't think the difference in his supporting cast is going to be night and day, but I do think it will be improved enough to see if he can play. If he can, great. If he can't, we are in position to get a QB high next year. Tebow? Perilloux? I have no idea who the QBs are going into next season.

2. LT. Albert could very well be a stop gap until next season, the Chiefs may have a shot at a guy like Oher from Mississippi. Oher and Albert as bookend tackles? Me likey a lotey.

3. DE. We have Hali and Turk at DE right now, with a 7th rounder and other unproven guys as the reserves. The lack of a pass rush could put the Chiefs in a position to draft the best defensive end coming out next year.

4. James Laurinaitis. Maybe not the most pressing need, but Laurinaitis is a stud and pairing him next to DJ for the next 8 years. Laurinaitis is a stud. Laurinaitis is a stud. I'll say it again, Laurinaitis is a stud.

Sorry, wanted to look ahead real far.

eazyb81
04-27-2008, 07:51 PM
This was the dream draft this franchise needed. Several starters and key role players will come directly from this weekend.

With the additions of Albert, Charles, Cottam, Franklin, and a healthy LJ, Croyle has no excuse to not make a big step forward this year. It's really a win-win situation for us; if he plays well, we've got a great QB. If not, we'll know for sure he's not the guy and we should be in a great position to take a QB in the draft due to having a poor record.

Our defense should show flashes of brilliance next year with the additions of Dorsey, Flowers, and Morgan. Plus, all of these guys are vocal leaders that bring a swagger to the table. You need guys like this that will hold other players accountable for their actions. Dorsey could end up being our defensive leader like Warren Sapp or Ray Lewis.

Throw in what was arguably the steal of the draft in Brian Johnston, and wow, I am pumped for next season.

I'm so stoked about this draft I can hardly believe it really happened.

BPhilb
04-27-2008, 08:12 PM
I feel much better about the Allen trade now given we had the ability to draft Dorsey. I really believe that Hali will pick up his game with the addition of Dorsey to pick up some of the slack and we will mix and match on the other side depending on the matchup. We should be a great run defense for the first time in what seems like forever. Having Dorsey is going to give us an element we haven't seen in a while with a push from the middle and will constantly take up two blockers. Gunther will figure out a way to get the most out of out linebacker and corner (Flowers anyone?) blitzes to keep the QB's pressured. We will likely start slow as these guys learn the game but we should start seeing later in the year what we have to look forward to. I too am excited about seeing this come together we just need to tempur our expectations early on too see how these guys progress. My only fear, which Village touched on earlier, is that we have to get all of these guys signed on time which I'm a bit worried about. Other than that I'm ready for some football.

vidae
04-27-2008, 08:22 PM
I don't remember who I said it to, but I said that this was far a far better draft than I could have dreamed for. With Tank AND Dorsey in the middle, it will free up our ends to make plays but also for our linebackers to really shine. Derrick Johnson is going to have the breakout year we all know he can have. I said it here first: Derrick Johnson, 2009 pro-bowl!

T-RICH49
04-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Johnston/Turk, Tank, Dorsey, Hali = :D :D

adschofield
04-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Picked up Scott Octivien as a UDFA...Looks Good...

Strengths:
Superb athleticism...Very good timed speed...Explosive with a burst...Good tackler and shows some power...Has sideline-to-sideline range...Good pass rusher/blitzer and makes a lot if impact plays behind the line...Has fluid hips and does a nice job in coverage...Real intense with a fantastic motor...Versatile..Still has some upside.

Weaknesses:
Health and durability are major concerns....Does not have great size or bulk...Has some trouble taking on and shedding blockers...A little inconsistent...Questionable instincts and awareness...Lacks top ball skills..Does not have a ton of experience.

Notes:
His sister, Dayana, was a three-time track All-American in the discus and hammer throw at South Florida and competed in the '04 U.S. Olympic Trials...Was originally slated to attend the U of Illinois out of high school but wound up at William Rainey Harper (Ill.) College, where he went on to become one of the top JUCO recruits in the country as well as a track standout in the 400-meter relay and discus...Dealt with an assortment injuries in 2004, 2005 and 2006 but was finally able to show just how good he can be when healthy as a senior...Could be a pleasant surprise for someone and a steal if he can just manage to steer clear of the trainer's room

bspen4
04-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Did we sign a QB yet?

adschofield
04-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Did we sign a QB yet?

Ricky Santos from New Hampshire

bspen4
04-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Actually I just saw we signed Ricky Santos QB from New Hampshire
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#468522

Edit: Lol we think alike

adschofield
04-27-2008, 09:43 PM
We signed:

Johnny Dingle, DE, WVU
Mike Cox, FB, Georgia Tech

Oh and Gosselin likes our mock

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/042808dnspogosselincol.26d7525.html

adschofield
04-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Signed Derek Lokey, DT...good signing...I really like all of our signings so far

Ho0k Em'
04-27-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm a big fan of Mark Sanchez, and I think he'll be a top pick next year. I would love to grab him if we can't get Tebow.

vidae
04-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Tebow or Stafford imo.

Bosanac01
04-27-2008, 11:00 PM
Easily the best draft out of anyone. Props to the Kansas City FO, they did a great job.

adschofield
04-27-2008, 11:12 PM
Easily the best draft out of anyone. Props to the Kansas City FO, they did a great job.

Thanks, I do what I can

adschofield
04-27-2008, 11:12 PM
Tebow or Stafford imo.

Stafford? YES.

Tebow doesn't have great mechanics...still a lot of questions concerning his NFL game

Bosanac01
04-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Thanks, I do what I can

what you do, pray?

vidae
04-28-2008, 01:16 AM
He cried when our first day was over. Tears of joy. As did almost every other KC fan in existence.

I went through three boxes of kleenex.

T-RICH49
04-28-2008, 09:26 AM
I am still in shoc k.are we sure that was our FO making those picks?

bored of education
04-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Nope it was me, you and viade

Ho0k Em'
04-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Stafford? YES.

Tebow doesn't have great mechanics...still a lot of questions concerning his NFL game

How dare you speak down on Tebow. I've never seen anything wrong with Tebow's mechanics. He holds the ball high, has a fairly quick release, and steps into all his throws.

bored of education
04-28-2008, 01:56 PM
How dare you speak down on Tebow. I've never seen anything wrong with Tebow's mechanics. He holds the ball high, has a fairly quick release, and steps into all his throws.

The problem with me and Tebow is the point at which he breaks his handsto the release of the ball is very verrry long.

villagewarrior
04-28-2008, 02:39 PM
I am still in shoc k.are we sure that was our FO making those picks?

Actually, with Gretz being canned last week, speculation is that Carl no longer was the man pulling the trigger this weekend, and that it was primarily in the hands of Kuharich and Herm. I think whether this draft bombs or is wildly successful responisiblity goes strictly to Herm and Kuharich.

Ho0k Em'
04-28-2008, 09:30 PM
The problem with me and Tebow is the point at which he breaks his handsto the release of the ball is very verrry long.

I can agree with that he does **** the ball back when he throws, but I wouldn't call it very very long. In his defense though he throw a hard tight ball.

adschofield
04-28-2008, 09:39 PM

Just what the scouts say...meaning Toonster :D

bored of education
04-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Im a good scout

Hermstheman83
05-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Yea, I'm all for Laurinitis. Kiper said that he was the first or second overall guy. So, if he falls to like 10-15(realistically where KC will be at) that'd be amazing.

Splat
05-01-2008, 09:04 AM
Long time no post how have you guys been I don't have internet right now that is why I have not been on much.:(

As for the draft I give the Chiefs an 8 out of 10 grade our first four picks on paper were great IMO. With our first two picks I wanted Long,Albert or Dorsey,Albert so I'm pretty happy and throw in the fact we got our #2 CB in round two great day of work for the Chiefs.

vidae
05-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Hey Splat, how ya been? :)

adschofield
05-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Yea, I'm all for Laurinitis. Kiper said that he was the first or second overall guy. So, if he falls to like 10-15(realistically where KC will be at) that'd be amazing.

Are you serious? We are not a 10-15 team...we're a 1-10 team

vidae
05-01-2008, 05:06 PM
Yeah, realistically we will have another top ten pick. I'm a realist, so that's what I'm looking at.

The good thing, however, is that if we have a few more quality drafts like this one we won't be cellar dwellers very long. :)

villagewarrior
05-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Are you serious? We are not a 10-15 team...we're a 1-10 team

Yeah, with the lack of talent the team had before the draft and adding a seriously large amount of young talent after the draft it would take a lot of things falling into place to be drafting outside of the top ten. The young players on paper look like they will be good, but a lot of rookies will be playing which more times then not equates to losses, not victories.

Hermstheman83
05-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Yea, sorry guys' for that homerism.....I think at best we're looking at an 8-8 season(which would put us outside the top ten) but realistically 6-10

BPhilb
05-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Yea, sorry guys' for that homerism.....I think at best we're looking at an 8-8 season(which would put us outside the top ten) but realistically 6-10

Nothing to apologize about. One of the greatest things about the NFL is that during this time of the year it seems like if everything falls right every team has a chance. It's not like baseball where if you are a fan of the Pirates you know your screwed going in. I am hoping though that we get started in the right direction this year and get at least 6 wins.

Hermstheman83
05-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Nothing to apologize about. One of the greatest things about the NFL is that during this time of the year it seems like if everything falls right every team has a chance. It's not like baseball where if you are a fan of the Pirates you know your screwed going in. I am hoping though that we get started in the right direction this year and get at least 6 wins.

I think it'd be awesome to pull off an upset against the Pats in week 1...that'd almost make the entire season for me(and ensure Herm and Co has a job in 2010)....Pirates? you mean the Cubs right? What does a sterile bear and the world series have in common.....they will both never produce cubbies. :)

vidae
05-02-2008, 07:02 PM
lol I've been a Cubs fan since I was 7. That was mean! :(

And I really do like the direction we're going. We're keeping the team young. We brought in a proven offensive coordinator and his staff. We're changing things around and shaking things up but it looks like it's for the better.

Now, if it seemed like we were still going downhill, it'd be easy to be upset, but right now it's very easy to be optimistic, and that's why no matter what happens this season it will be easier to stomach. :)

LonghornsLegend
05-04-2008, 12:56 AM
I heard you guys picked up Derrick Lokey from UT as an UDFA also, talk about another steal...Some of you may not know much about the guy, but he is a stud and a very hard worker who is super athletic, keep your eye out for him and seeing his name pop up, I expect him to be a significant contributor at some point.

The Chiefs really did an excellent job bringing in young talent, cant complain about that.

vidae
05-04-2008, 11:30 AM
There were a lot of reasons to complain last year but nothing so far! Going to be an exciting year, can't wait. :)

Hermstheman83
05-10-2008, 01:39 PM
I wonder if any of our rookies will be so good to get into the pro bowl....unlikely

vidae
05-10-2008, 10:12 PM
I could see Dorsey making it maybe. It depends on how our D plays.

Hermstheman83
05-12-2008, 11:53 AM
I could see Dorsey making it maybe. It depends on how our D plays.

Really? I am surprised how it takes so long for a DT to get adjusted to the NFL Life, I don't know why, because in essence all they are doing is trying to push the guard/center backwards to flush the qb out of the pocket....not trying to demean a guys' job who will make more on one sunday than I will in ten years. I've just noticed that pattern, I thought Tank Tyler was going to blow people up last year...granted Dorsey's a way better prospect but he still should take some time to get adjusted.

Splat
05-12-2008, 12:03 PM
I wonder if any of our rookies will be so good to get into the pro bowl....unlikely

I think the only shot of that going down is if one of them is our KR/PR and has a big year.

T-RICH49
05-12-2008, 12:11 PM
I think the only shot of that going down is if one of them is our KR/PR and has a big year.

I think if Dorsey just flat dominates and has 6-8 sacks at the DT posistion he could at least be a serious consideration

Splat
05-12-2008, 12:12 PM
I think that would be asking alot from a rookie in his first year but would love to see it.

T-RICH49
05-12-2008, 12:14 PM
I think that would be asking alot from a rookie in his first year but would love to see it.

true but some rookies adjust to the NFL faster then others.

villagewarrior
05-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Really? I am surprised how it takes so long for a DT to get adjusted to the NFL Life, I don't know why, because in essence all they are doing is trying to push the guard/center backwards to flush the qb out of the pocket....not trying to demean a guys' job who will make more on one sunday than I will in ten years. I've just noticed that pattern, I thought Tank Tyler was going to blow people up last year...granted Dorsey's a way better prospect but he still should take some time to get adjusted.

There's more to it then just pushing the offensive lineman backwards. There is technique, first step quickness, hand placement. They have to read where the offensive linemen are going, if this guy is pulling is there another guy coming to trap you? How do you deal with a cut block coming from the side? There are all these questions and then there is the matter of finding the ball carrier, it's not easy. Then you have to do it at the NFL level? Say what you want, but the real "skill" position players are in the trenches.

bored of education
05-28-2008, 10:54 PM
I am only posting in KC team forum until the Chiefs win a regular season game.

I feel KC went best player on there baord the 3 picks no matter what.

I think Morgan will compete, Jamal will help returns make help in the pass game out the backfield, Cottam will develop into a very good blocking tight end.

1. Dan Connor
2. Early Doucet
3. Jeremy Zuttah

LES GET THIS TEAM THREAD POPPING!

adschofield
05-29-2008, 12:01 AM
We prefer a nice, quiet forum and you sir are upsetting that peacefulness with your "Popping" of the Team Forum.

But in all seriousness, my 3rd round would probably shape out like this:

1.Jamaal Charles
2.Brad Cottam
3.DaJuan Morgan

Now at this point, you may think that I am either copying off the actual draft or am Carl Peterson himself. In hopes of not getting rep raped, I'll go with the former

bored of education
05-29-2008, 12:46 AM
you are seriously a god!

bored of education
05-29-2008, 12:46 AM
but i would have liked to seen the Chiefs draft another linemen in that round. Plenty of them on the board!

bored of education
05-29-2008, 12:47 AM
I would have thought WR as well, but Franklin in the 4th was a sweet pick!

bored of education
05-29-2008, 12:48 AM
Hmmm I like what we did this year in the draft

adschofield
05-29-2008, 01:05 AM
Hmmm I like what we did this year in the draft

Hmm...I think you're post whoring, njk should be infracting you anytime now :D

Splat
05-29-2008, 08:45 AM
1.Jamaal Charles
2.Martin Rucker
3.DaJuan Morgan

I love both the JC and DM picks and I did like the TE pick it was a need just didn't like the one we took the guy can't stay on the field.

T-RICH49
05-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Jamaal Charles
Early Doucet
DaJaun Morgan

villagewarrior
05-29-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm pretty happy with what the Chiefs ended up doing. I think I probably would have taken Nicks instead of Charles (turns out that would have been a major reach) but I was happy with the Cottam pick. I think Cottam is more in line with what it looks like the Chiefs are trying to do with their tight ends, that is get someone who can push the defender around a little bit, and I don't think Rucker is that type of guy.

vidae
05-29-2008, 02:43 PM
I don't think I'd change much of what we did there. I didn't like the Cottam pick at the time, but it has grown on me, and I'm happy with the Charles/Morgan picks.

villagewarrior
12-30-2012, 04:29 AM
I'm pretty happy with what the Chiefs ended up doing. [b]I think I probably would have taken Nicks instead of Charles[\b] (turns out that would have been a major reach) but I was happy with the Cottam pick. I think Cottam is more in line with what it looks like the Chiefs are trying to do with their tight ends, that is get someone who can push the defender around a little bit, and I don't think Rucker is that type of guy.

What?! Just goes to show I'm not perfect with all of my prognostications but this was a fun thread to read through 5 years after the fact. We were all so excited for what would turn out to be King Carl's final draft.

The Chiefs came away with a run stuffing defensive tackle, a pretty decent starting left tackle in Albert, a stud corner in Flowers, and an all-world running back in Charles in their first 3 rounds, a very good day at the office. Add in Brandon Carr and the Chiefs had probably their finest draft I can remember. And I still think if not for the neck injury and regime change Brad Cottam would've made an impact.