PDA

View Full Version : Raiders' 2008 Draft

Geo
04-26-2008, 08:51 AM
The 2008 Draft is finally here!

It's Draft weekend, and best of luck to the Oakland Raiders in finding good players to help the team for the future.

Discuss the event here.

bernbabybern820
04-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Looks like people from the west coast are sleeping but ya, Dorsey may fall to us.

raidersfanxxx
04-26-2008, 11:13 AM
i love Dorsey, but we just signed Kelly for a billion dollars to play the 3 tech. Do we still take him?

RaiderNation
04-26-2008, 11:19 AM
yup it looks like C.Long wont be there. So Run DMC welcome to Oakland hopefully!

bernbabybern820
04-26-2008, 11:36 AM
If Dorsey fell to #4 the Saints would try to give us a lot to draft him.

RaiderNation
04-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Michael Smith says we will take DMC if we dont trade down

Geo
04-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Dorsey gives the Raiders a perfect opportunity to trade down and acquire another good pick or picks, which they certainly need. They could still draft a stud RB at #10, or a starting left tackle ... maybe Derrick Harvey perhaps?

RaiderNation
04-26-2008, 02:24 PM
DMC or trade down

RaiderNation
04-26-2008, 02:29 PM
All we need is a LT and a young WR on offence and we should be set for a long time

Stash
04-26-2008, 02:40 PM
DMC it is. I would have preferred to take a DE or trade down, but I am still very excited about how explosive our offense can be now with DMC and JR. The only thing that boggles my mind is why we resigned Fargas, I kinda feel bad for him and Michael Bush.

RaiderNation
04-26-2008, 03:08 PM
DMC it is. I would have preferred to take a DE or trade down, but I am still very excited about how explosive our offense can be now with DMC and JR. The only thing that boggles my mind is why we resigned Fargas, I kinda feel bad for him and Michael Bush.

I think we might deal fargas next off season if bush can show he can play. I hope DMC and Fargas split the carries and Bush get around 5 a game

Oaktown1981
04-27-2008, 12:19 AM
I love the McFadden pick...

I think we will see McFadden slowly take over the starting job.. I still think Fargas will get a bulk of the carries... Raiders will work Bush into the reps too.

Jordan and Rhodes will be gone...

raidersfanxxx
04-27-2008, 02:16 AM
great pick! everyone wants to say this was a bad pick because it was not a need...it's a huge need. we have to suround j-russ with some quality talent...looking to a great future with mcfadden and bush!

nobodyinparticular
04-27-2008, 11:53 AM
What the heck? The Raiders traded up to draft a CB!!! Hall, Asomugha, Routt, Bowie, Washington, and now Tyvon. Not a DL, not an OL--but a CB.

04-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Not a need but will be a key special teams player and will be a gunner for us from day one.

RaiderNation
04-27-2008, 12:00 PM
What the heck? The Raiders traded up to draft a CB!!! Hall, Asomugha, Routt, Bowie, Washington, and now Tyvon. Not a DL, not an OL--but a CB.

We traded Washington to Baltimore for there 4th rounder this year (125). But i still dont like the pick.

We could have gone Dline with that pick then Oline with the later 4th rounder.

Heres links to the trade

http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/raiderfans-net-exclusive-content/131852-after-further-review-goodbye-fabian-hello-rookie.html

http://www.profootballcentral.com/2008/04/27/raiders-trade-cb-fabian-washington/

doingthisinsteadofwork
04-27-2008, 12:19 PM
so far this draft sucks.Our biggest needs coming into this offseason were LT,NT,and RDE.And we havent done anything so far to make those positions better.They've actually managed to get worse.

RaiderNation
04-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Why draft a WR????????? Oline and Dline Al

doingthisinsteadofwork
04-27-2008, 12:23 PM
I miss Barry Sims.Should of kept him.

doingthisinsteadofwork
04-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Im just glad Al hasnt wasted another pick on a RB.I expected him to forget he picked Dmac.

RaiderNation
04-27-2008, 12:27 PM
The wr we got has injury problems, hes small, and cant jump

great pick

also the cb we drafted got arrested.... should have picked Justin King over him

doingthisinsteadofwork
04-27-2008, 12:53 PM
When did he get arrested?
screw king should have drafted Hills.

RaiderNation
04-27-2008, 01:12 PM
When did he get arrested?
screw king should have drafted Hills.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/tyvonbranch.html

"Was arrested in May of 2005 when he and some teammates shot out a car window with a B.B. Gun"

D4rk 0ne
04-27-2008, 02:13 PM
You guys are being too critical...

I agree, we shouldn't have picked a CB with that pick: we definitely have significantly more pressing needs. However, I think Branch has a lot of potential, particularly when we have Hall and Asomougha to take care of the receivers who pose major threats to us. Branch is big and physical, but he's also one of the fastest CBs in the draft. I think he could be great in nickel and dime packages... However I do agree I'd rather have taken a D-line.

As for Shields, I like this guy a lot. Who cares if he can't jump as high as most other WRs? He has good fundamentals and his size and speed are more than adequate. Although I expect he won't get much PT as long as Walker, Carter, and Curry are around. (Not to mention some of those other young guys like Higgins...)

While I think we could have taken guys to fill needs, I like both of these guys and think they have the talent to be getting regular PT.

RaiderNation
04-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Now we decide to take a DE in the 6th round. Hes purely a pass rusher. Under 260lbs but runs a 4.56 40. I expect a special teamer and might get some time on pass rush situations

Stash
04-27-2008, 02:19 PM

so far this draft sucks.Our biggest needs coming into this offseason were LT,NT,and RDE.And we havent done anything so far to make those positions better.They've actually managed to get worse.

Pretty much sums up my feelings right here. McFadden should be exciting to watch but the rest of the picks make no sense at all.

raidersfanxxx
04-27-2008, 03:54 PM
darren mcfadden will be the only one that makes this roster. awful day 2 draft thus far.

nobodyinparticular
04-27-2008, 03:55 PM

I do not see how the Raiders managed to get worse. They traded Fabian Washington away, ok. But he doesn't effect the LT, the NT or RDE spots.

nobodyinparticular
04-27-2008, 03:57 PM
I wonder if Tyvon will be a returner for us...

04-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Arman Shields is just the type of receiver we need. Someone who can work the middle of the field and great for YAC. I believe he compliments our other receivers fairly well.

Stash
04-27-2008, 04:39 PM
I can't believe we actually picked two WR's, that's just ridiculous. I doubt either one gets on the field.

doingthisinsteadofwork
04-27-2008, 05:17 PM
I do not see how the Raiders managed to get worse. They traded Fabian Washington away, ok. But he doesn't effect the LT, the NT or RDE spots.I wasnt talking about the team as a whole.
Barry Sims>Kwame harris. LT spot got worse than last year.
Chris Clemons>Kalimba Edwards. RDE isnt as good as it was last year.Although i have heard good things about Scott.
NT is actually probably as bad last year as it can be this year.Terdell could play well but I wouldnt count on him to.Joseph will probably just end up on the IR.We didnt do anything to upgrade this position and will regret it unless of course Terdell can prove hes worth the money.

nobodyinparticular
04-27-2008, 05:29 PM
I wasnt talking about the team as a whole.
Barry Sims>Kwame harris. LT spot got worse than last year.
Chris Clemons>Kalimba Edwards. RDE isnt as good as it was last year.Although i have heard good things about Scott.
NT is actually probably as bad last year as it can be this year.Terdell could play well but I wouldnt count on him to.Joseph will probably just end up on the IR.We didnt do anything to upgrade this position and will regret it unless of course Terdell can prove hes worth the money.

Oh, got it. In those spots, I would agree. But we upgraded S with Gibril. We upgraded CB quite a bit with Hall and I don't see how

I wouldn't write-off Sands at NT though. He absolutely sucked there last year, but he was actually so good in 2006 that he was considered among the top 2 or 3 DTs available in FA. (Scout.com had him #1) Remember that he really was quite good in 2006. The league is all about "what have you done for me lately" so it's understandable to want to throw Sands to the curb after 2007, but so far he's batting .500 with one good year and one bad year. Let's see which one was a fluke.

doingthisinsteadofwork
04-27-2008, 05:40 PM
I loved the Gibril signing.The hall trade not so much. I felt that our problem wasnt with Fabs it was that we werent getting enough pressure on the QB. I still feel we could have put that 2nd rounder to better use.

Your right on Sands.He could play very well this year.I saw somewhere that some of his family members had died last season.That certainly didnt help him.I was hoping wed go NT somewhere in the draft just in case he didnt play well though.We might as well try and get someone better than Shaw though because Joseph is probably gonna end up on the IR.

That Mario Henderson trade is looking more and more awful though.

D4rk 0ne
04-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Hmm... I didn't know much about Schilens so I did a bit of research and he looks like the kind of guy worth taking with a 7th rounder... 6'4, 220-ish, 4.3 40... Great measurables, although he needs to develop a lot before he can be a solid WR. He has a lot of potential though. I like Shields as I already said, and Scott and Branch both seem like they could pay off down the road.

Maybe if you guys would give our picks a chance before writing them off, you would see that this wasn't a bad draft. We got some good value and even if we didn't fill some of our big needs, we got several guys who could fight for playing time and maybe even develop into legitimate starters in a few years.

Scott and Schilens could end up being steals if they are properly developed and trained. Shields and Branch both have the tools and experience needed to contribute relatively early. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sheilds in 4-WR sets this season (and maybe returning kicks as well) and Branch in dime or even nickel situations. I don't think I need to talk about McFadden...

fischbowl
04-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Congratulations on Trevor Scott.

Great Player, can't wait to see a UB Alum in the pros

Komp
04-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Yah I question the fact that we didn't go DT on a couple picks later in the draft, but I like the players we did go for. The WR's all look fast and dangerous and were in offenses where they produced. Branch has a lot of experience and has all the physical ability in the world to grab a starting spot if Nnamdi leaves us after this year, and I think Scott could be a decent speed rusher on passing downs.

Considering we had no 2nd or 3rd rd picks I don't mind our draft. The only problem I have with it is the lack of DL help. Everyone has OL as one of our needs but it seems pretty apparent that the coaching staff feels comfortable with who we have already.

nobodyinparticular
04-28-2008, 03:07 AM
I loved the Gibril signing.The hall trade not so much. I felt that our problem wasnt with Fabs it was that we werent getting enough pressure on the QB. I still feel we could have put that 2nd rounder to better use.

Your right on Sands.He could play very well this year.I saw somewhere that some of his family members had died last season.That certainly didnt help him.I was hoping wed go NT somewhere in the draft just in case he didnt play well though.We might as well try and get someone better than Shaw though because Joseph is probably gonna end up on the IR.

That Mario Henderson trade is looking more and more awful though.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely was hoping for a NT too. And a LT. And maybe even a C. (this year was REALLY bad for centers though) My idea with those positions is to be like ESPN--throw enough up against the wall and hope something sticks. Sure, Sands could work out, but I'd rather hedge my bets. Same with Harris/Henderson. Sure, one of them could work out at LT. I could also win the lottery, but in the meantime, I'm going to be diligent in college and plan for the worst (having to get a job and work for the rest of my life). In the same way, I feel that the Raiders should have addressed LT somehow in some way.

Obviously they feel differently... I just hope they are right. Because I'm tired of 4 win seasons. And 5 or 6 wins isn't enough for me next year either.

doingthisinsteadofwork
04-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Obviously they feel differently... I just hope they are right. Because I'm tired of 4 win seasons. And 5 or 6 wins isn't enough for me next year either.
Sadly it isnt enough for Kiffin to stay either.

Stash
04-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Don't get me wrong, I definitely was hoping for a NT too. And a LT. And maybe even a C. (this year was REALLY bad for centers though) My idea with those positions is to be like ESPN--throw enough up against the wall and hope something sticks. Sure, Sands could work out, but I'd rather hedge my bets. Same with Harris/Henderson. Sure, one of them could work out at LT. I could also win the lottery, but in the meantime, I'm going to be diligent in college and plan for the worst (having to get a job and work for the rest of my life). In the same way, I feel that the Raiders should have addressed LT somehow in some way.

Didn't we sign Wade from the Bucs? Other than that, I would have liked a NT and a LT as well.

Abaddon
04-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Track stars from top to bottom. Al Davis just can't die soon enough.

Terrible draft, from McFadden all the way down.

Abaddon
04-29-2008, 05:54 PM
(this year was REALLY bad for centers though)

Indi drafted 3 of them. Maybe they'll send us one.

Raiderz4Life
04-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Track stars from top to bottom. Al Davis just can't die soon enough.

Terrible draft, from McFadden all the way down.

you my friend are a ******

D4rk 0ne
04-27-2009, 04:27 AM
Thought I'd bump this up for justice... A lot has changed in a year. I think most of these guys are looking like solid picks which is nice.

Scott has tons of potential and has looked really solid in his [limited] opportunities.

Same goes for Branch; I hope we get to see him more this season.

Schilens is definitely working out for us. I'm excited to see him getting significant PT this season.

Shields was a bit of a let-down with the injury, but I'm interested to see if he can turn some heads in TC and such. He definitely has the tools to become a legit threat in our passing game.

It's funny to see how negative most of us were after last year's draft. People expecting none of our second day picks to even make the team . . . and look, they're all here, and for the most part looking pretty good.

Just thought it would be interesting to put it into perspective. Sorry if bumping up this thread is breaking the rules; it wasn't my intention to do anything wrong here. I figured it could be interesting to look back at last year's draft, which fans were not too happy with, and see how it is beginning to work out. Maybe this year's draft will turn out alright... For now, we can only hope so.