PDA

View Full Version : Offical Chicago Bears Free Agency Thread

evershot
02-27-2007, 06:17 AM
Considering that Free Agency actually comes before the draft and what happens during FA will determine what the Bears are able to do in the draft. I thought it would be appropriate to have a FA thread.

I'll go first here are some possible targets.

O-line: Eric Steinbach (CIN). I don't understand this boards reluctance to accept that Steinbach is most likely a high profile target for the Bears. He is versatile and he could be moved outside. If the Bears get him it pushes the need for an O-linemen back into the second day.

TE: Jeremy Stevens (Sea). This might be a stretch considering questions about his maturity. However he has improved on his blocking and is viable threat to stretch the field down the middle.

Daniel Graham (NE) He is a solid blocking TE with the ability to be a good receiving TE. He was a former first round pick and has good athleticism.

NYmoney
02-27-2007, 08:19 AM
Considering that Free Agency actually comes before the draft and what happens during FA will determine what the Bears are able to do in the draft. I thought it would be appropriate to have a FA thread.

I'll go first here are some possible targets.

O-line: Eric Steinbach (CIN). I don't understand this boards reluctance to accept that Steinbach is most likely a high profile target for the Bears. He is versatile and he could be moved outside. If the Bears get him it pushes the need for an O-linemen back into the second day.

TE: Jeremy Stevens (Sea). This might be a stretch considering questions about his maturity. However he has improved on his blocking and is viable threat to stretch the field down the middle.

Daniel Graham (NE) He is a solid blocking TE with the ability to be a good receiving TE. He was a former first round pick and has good athleticism.

Jerramy Stevens is a bum. There is no chance he signs with Chicago. Plus, Desmond Clark had a better season, with less incidents.

blkwdw13
02-27-2007, 08:35 AM
I would like them to go after Stienbach or possibly Dielman but not at the price I think they are going to command.

evershot
02-27-2007, 10:38 AM
I would like them to go after Stienbach or possibly Dielman but not at the price I think they are going to command.

I think Stienbach represents better value because he could eventually be moved outside.

KBear
02-27-2007, 11:20 AM
I would not mind going with Daniel Graham. I just dont want the Bears to overspend on FA this year on other teams players, save the money for our young guys that are going to be FA next year.

evershot
02-27-2007, 11:39 AM
I would not mind going with Daniel Graham. I just dont want the Bears to overspend on FA this year on other teams players, save the money for our young guys that are going to be FA next year.

Daniel Graham is a TE and he may not command the same big salaries which the O-linemen would, but I think every team will have to over spend this off season because many teams will have a lot of salary cap money to spend.

KBear
02-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Then I am all for letting those teams spend all their cap space and then go with the left overs. We dont need any quick fixes, at least none that this years FA could provide.

bearsfan_51
02-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Then I am all for letting those teams spend all their cap space and then go with the left overs. We dont need any quick fixes, at least none that this years FA could provide.

Exactly. Not to mention that with the frugality the franchise is known for it'll be hard enough to keep our own players.

I'm starting to really sympathize with Briggs (as much as one can sympathize with a guy making 7 million).

Chris Kelsey recently got 13 million guaranteed with 24 million extra over 4 years and he's a mediocre player. I think with this market Briggs honestly could get 20-25 million guaranteed instead of the 7.2 base he's getting from the Bears. I'm sure a lot of people will be upset when he skips all of training camp, but honestly I have a hard time blaming him when looking at it objectively.

KBear
02-27-2007, 11:56 AM
I dont blame him for wanting to get paid, but he still needs to show up. If the Bears really dont want to pay him that money, they should try to trade him. I'd prefer to get something for him then nothing. And it is something the Bears need to decide on before the draft. Any longer, then the Bears need to pay him fair market value.

bearsfan_51
02-27-2007, 12:00 PM
I dont blame him for wanting to get paid, but he still needs to show up. If the Bears really dont want to pay him that money, they should try to trade him. I'd prefer to get something for him then nothing. And it is something the Bears need to decide on before the draft. Any longer, then the Bears need to pay him fair market value.

Well by the CBA he doesn't have to attend anything untill he signs the tender, and has untill the start of the season for him to sign, meaning he can miss all training camp and I believe the first two weeks of preseason.

Honestly it's a small price to pay considering how much guaranteed money they are saving with him.

evershot
02-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Since Angelo has gotten here the Bears have been spending the cash more than the media makes it seem. As for Briggs it was a business decision and seriously if you can get a 50-60% discount wouldn't you take it?

As for waiting to take the leftovers I would say that is Angelo's M.O. so I wouldn't be surprise if this did happen.

But Angelo's NFL Personale has done a great job in evaluating current NFL talent that is available via FA. It also free's up the Bears in the draft and gives them more flexiblity. Like last year when they signed Ricky Manning to play nickel. That move reduce the need to draft a cb that could immediately step in at nickel. This made the move to draft Hester a lot easier.

KBear
02-27-2007, 12:15 PM
My question would be if the Bears wait that long, are they still going to resign him and would he still want to stay with the Bears. Because by then they will have all of next years FA to worry about as well, and he might just decide to play out the season and go somewhere else this time next year.

If the Bears are going to sign him long term, I think this is the year to do so when there really is no one esle they could use their cap space on. And I hope they front load the deal as well, so when it comes time resign Vasher/Harris/Berrian stc.. a good chunk of his contract is already out of the way.

But if they are not going to resign him, I would like to trade him now and get something for him.

KBear
02-27-2007, 12:20 PM
AS for this so called discount, there is a difference between lowest cost and lowest initial cost. Briggs just might demand even more money next year, and resigning him then might also cost more money, but also one of their own young players. Or they just might loose him. So if they are going to sign him, I think its cheaper in the long run to do so now, and like I just said front load his contract (people always value money now over money later) to get as much of his salary off the books so it will be more affordable for the Bears to resign their other good young players. Besides, its not like there really is someone else out there that Bears could use their cap space on this year.

bearsfan_51
02-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Anyone interested in Adam Timmerman if we don't re-sign Brown? Personally I think we'll just go with Metcalf, but if they wanted to go the veteran route and couldn't sign Brown that might be a good way to go for a one year option.

TitleTown088
02-27-2007, 11:53 PM
Bf you were just in the Packer forum ripping on us for possibly looking as Stevens, so I hope the bears get him so i can do the same to you.... Also, wasn't it you who said Free agency was for chumps?

bearsfan_51
02-27-2007, 11:57 PM
How can you not like Adam Timmerman? He looks like a stupid redneck and is from South Dakota. I'd be shocked if you weren't related quite frankly.

And Free Agency is for suckers, but if we can sign him for the vet minimum I'd be ok with that. The difference is that Stevens is going to make 4-6 million per year to suck. Personally I'd be fine if we sign nobody and start signing the guys we do have to longterm deals.

KBear
02-28-2007, 02:11 AM
Anyone interested in Adam Timmerman if we don't re-sign Brown? Personally I think we'll just go with Metcalf, but if they wanted to go the veteran route and couldn't sign Brown that might be a good way to go for a one year option.

I would not mind it, but I think I would prefer to draft one instead beacuse one of these years the age of the OL will catch up with the Bears. I dont want to rebuild the whole line in one offseason.

TitleTown088
02-28-2007, 10:20 AM
How can you not like Adam Timmerman? He looks like a stupid redneck and is from South Dakota. I'd be shocked if you weren't related quite frankly.

And Free Agency is for suckers, but if we can sign him for the vet minimum I'd be ok with that. The difference is that Stevens is going to make 4-6 million per year to suck. Personally I'd be fine if we sign nobody and start signing the guys we do have to longterm deals.

Hmm.... When did I say anything about Timmerman?
Also, yeah. I'm a stupid Redneck considering I come from one of the nicest and most wealthy areas in the country... good one.

regoob2
02-28-2007, 11:55 AM
I would not mind it, but I think I would prefer to draft one instead beacuse one of these years the age of the OL will catch up with the Bears. I dont want to rebuild the whole line in one offseason.

I agree, I dont think Timmerman would be that big of an upgrade over what we currently have, I think a OT in round 2 would be perfect

bearsfan_51
02-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Hmm.... When did I say anything about Timmerman?
Also, yeah. I'm a stupid Redneck considering I come from one of the nicest and most wealthy areas in the country... good one.

You're from South Dakota aren't you? It's all butt **** country to me.

And I misread your previous post. By "him" I thought you meant Timmerman.

We won't sign Stevens, never ever ever eeeeeeeever going to happen.

TitleTown088
02-28-2007, 10:47 PM
You're from South Dakota aren't you? It's all butt **** country to me.

And I misread your previous post. By "him" I thought you meant Timmerman.

We won't sign Stevens, never ever ever eeeeeeeever going to happen.

Let me guess, you've never been to South Dakota? So your assuming South Dakota is lame, correct? Don't aussume, it makes an ass out of you and me!

KBear
03-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Was looking around on espn.com, looked at their list of 30 fa which teams might sign them. it should surprise no one that the Bears are not listed as a favorite to sign that many of them, actually just one, and that was Anthony Adams. Did not know he was a FA, but he would be someone who would probably come cheap, and might be a good fit as a backup DT.

sweetness34
03-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Let me guess, you've never been to South Dakota? So your assuming South Dakota is lame, correct? Don't aussume, it makes an ass out of you and me!

Uh South Dakota is pretty lame dude. It's a nice place to visit with the scenery and stuff but it's not what I'd call a "happenin" state.

I mean I live in a lame ass place in Bloomington/Normal, but I still like it here.

evershot
03-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Was looking around on espn.com, looked at their list of 30 fa which teams might sign them. it should surprise no one that the Bears are not listed as a favorite to sign that many of them, actually just one, and that was Anthony Adams. Did not know he was a FA, but he would be someone who would probably come cheap, and might be a good fit as a backup DT.

Interesting he might make a decent NT for the Bears and he could get some good playing time in the rotation.

Hurricane Ditka
03-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Uh South Dakota is pretty lame dude. It's a nice place to visit with the scenery and stuff but it's not what I'd call a "happenin" state.

I mean I live in a lame ass place in Bloomington/Normal, but I still like it here.

You live in the same town as one of the states biggest party schools, don't complain.

85ers
03-01-2007, 03:28 PM
You live in the same town as one of the states biggest party schools, don't complain.
I attended IScrewedUp there for 3 years and it gets old really quick. Partying is the about the only thing to do in Bloomington/Normal, unless you're a huge fan of taking tours at State Farm. haha

Hurricane Ditka
03-01-2007, 03:48 PM
I attended IScrewedUp there for 3 years and it gets old really quick. Partying is the about the only thing to do in Bloomington/Normal, unless you're a huge fan of taking tours at State Farm. haha

I'm going there next year.

Wait a second, when the hell did you come back?

85ers
03-01-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm going there next year.

Wait a second, when the hell did you come back?
You'll have fun there for sure, and the ladies are quite friendly.

I have always been here, I just don't feel the need to post much. When I posted in the past it was to vent about problems with the Bears and there really hasn't been much to vent about in quite a while! I'm thrilled with the extensions of JA and Lovie!

Smokey Joe
03-01-2007, 08:35 PM
hmmm.... ISU, I'll have to put that on the list of possible schools. :D

blkwdw13
03-01-2007, 09:38 PM

Anthony Adams looks good if he comes at a decent price and then it would cut DT out of the draft picture and put the Bears even more into drafting BPA.

pellepelle_10
03-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Titans | Kinney released
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 15:16:25 -0800

The Tennessee Titans have announced the release of TE Erron Kinney.

I would LOVE to have this guy signed in Chi-Town. This guy can flat out play. On the flip side he's been injury prone. He's highly talented though.

pellepelle_10
03-01-2007, 10:57 PM
What would you guys think about us bringing this guy in for depth help?

Vikings | Smoot cut
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 14:40:20 -0800

ESPNews reports the Minnesota Vikings have cut CB Fred Smoot.

Hurricane Ditka
03-01-2007, 11:02 PM
We don't need to waste money on other teams garbage.

pellepelle_10
03-01-2007, 11:26 PM
We don't need to waste money on other teams garbage.

One mans garbage is another mans treasure.

Ahman Green cut by Seattle. Signed by Green Bay.

Roberto Garza cut by Atlanta. Signed by Chicago.

Bobby Engram cut by Chicago. Signed by Seattle

these are some of 9 million possibilities.

sweetness34
03-01-2007, 11:43 PM
One mans garbage is another mans treasure.

Ahman Green cut by Seattle. Signed by Green Bay.

Roberto Garza cut by Atlanta. Signed by Chicago.

Bobby Engram cut by Chicago. Signed by Seattle

these are some of 9 million possibilities.

Yea, but Smoot is not good. Garza and Engram were good players before they left.

Green just had a fumble problem, but the talent was there. Fred Smoot is not a good CB.

sweetness34
03-01-2007, 11:44 PM
hmmm.... ISU, I'll have to put that on the list of possible schools. :D

If you want your little buddy to stay un-diseased, I suggest another school...

pellepelle_10
03-02-2007, 12:18 AM

Nobody is saying pay the man top tier salary. I didn't even say pay him good salary..I'm saying he's worth adding for depth issues. He's definatelly an upgrade over the 4th man on our depth charts. He plays well in nickel and dime schemes. Since when did I say the guy was starter material or great for that matter. He's decent and a good pickup for depth..Dante Wesley isn't going to cut it.

And Erron Kinney is a stud. I don't care what anyone says..the guy is a very good pass catching TE and he's huge..6'6" 270?? I don't remember how well he is at blocking but with size like that he shouldn't be horrible. He's like 30lbs shy of being a Tackle for crying out loud.

blkwdw13
03-02-2007, 12:23 AM
I wouldn't even want Smoot to be the Bears water boy.

Hurricane Ditka
03-02-2007, 06:46 AM

That's funny because haven't you lived there like all your life?

bearfan
03-02-2007, 07:16 AM
I wouldnt mind picking up one of the GB TE's Martin or Lee, while they arent amazing players, I think they are pretty solid and good recieving options.

Bearsfan123
03-02-2007, 09:12 AM
I wouldnt mind picking up one of the GB TE's Martin or Lee, while they arent amazing players, I think they are pretty solid and good recieving options.

i find that funny since GB fans tell me that they need a new pass catching TE. So no, i dont think these guys would be any good.

KBear
03-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Kinney would be tempting if he can be had for a good price.

I'll pass on Smoot.

NYmoney
03-02-2007, 12:37 PM
I'll pass on Smoot too.

KBear
03-02-2007, 03:59 PM
What are the odd that the Bears wont sign any FA from another team this offseason, at least one that would be practically a given to make the team, and not just some training camp body.

IndyColtScout
03-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Any word on Ian Scott?

blkwdw13
03-02-2007, 04:01 PM
He is a free agent.

KBear
03-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Any word on Ian Scott?

I think it would surprise everyone if he resigned with the Bears.

Bearsfan123
03-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Dewayne White anyone?

IndyColtScout
03-02-2007, 06:19 PM
He is a free agent.

I know that, I'm talking about possible suitors/visits he has scheduled. I'm sure Bears fan would find out before me.

Hurricane Ditka
03-02-2007, 06:27 PM
If your question is whether or not we know if he's meeting with the Colts, I don't think anyone here knows. I wouldn't doubt it though.

bearfan
03-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Dewayne White anyone?

The DE from the Bucs? YES PLEASE! I loved this guy, besides the fact he looks, and sorta acts like a thug at times, I loved how he played this season. If we could get him, I would be extremly happy

Smokey Joe
03-02-2007, 08:21 PM
If we trade Briggs, I'd want Boss Bailey signed as his replacement.

KBear
03-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Dewayne White anyone?

I really dont think that he would come cheap. And I think some teams might overspend on him.

bearsfan_51
03-07-2007, 08:02 AM
Not to mention the Lions signed him like 3-4 days ago. That might be a problem.

toonsterwu
03-07-2007, 08:10 AM
Looking at what's left on the board ... if we make a couple targeted (i.e. not costly) FA forays, I'd be intrigued with (mostly depth moves):

S - Several options here. I wouldn't go after any of the RFA's ... as giving up a pick isn't worth it when it isn't a heads over heel need for us. Depending on Ken Hamlin's price, I'd take a look. That's probably out of our range, though. Omar Stoutmire might be a cheap veteran backup worth considering. Depending on Terrence Holt and Deon Grant's cost, I'd look into it, but Grant may be too costly overall, and Holt may not be worth, relative to our needs, what the cost is going to be.

That said, there's only one or two guys that might potentially be key upgrades, so passing to add through the draft would be fine.

CB - If we add at CB, I think it's through the draft.

LB - If Briggs stays, I think the draft will be where a LB is added. If Briggs is moved, then former Bear Chris Draft might be someone I look at, depending on the cost. Another former Bear, Warrick Holdman, could merit some consideration as a veteran placeholder, or perhaps someone like Brandon Short.

DL - Our own guys are the only ones I'd consider at DT, as the overall options aren't pretty. Otherwise, I think it's draft for DT. I don't see anything at DE worth pursuing, and if we add, I think it's through the draft as well.

OL - If Ruben Brown leaves, then I would take a look at Kendyl Jacox, Pork Chop Womack, Rick DeMulling, and another former Bear in Mike Gandy. That said, if Brown leaves, I think that increases the probability of going OL early, as that means the draftee could have a shot at starting inside early on. I think we'll be more inclined to draft OL if they have a shot at starting in year 1 (thus, an OT talent that starts inside before moving outside next season).

TE - Honestly, I wouldn't mind a cheap gamble for someone like Eric Johnson. An incentive laden contract, maybe a 1 year deal that allows him to reestablish himself. That said, I don't see it happening.

WR - Not much at WR worth pursuing. Another big, jump ball type receiver would be interesting ... a cheap option might be personal favorite Billy McMullen. That said, it's unlikely, and Brandon Rideau could be given a shot at that role. Btw, completely forgot that we had Mike Haas on the roster.

RB - I'd take a cheap gamble on a veteran for depth purposes. Someone like Artose Pinner or LaBrandon Toefield. Both are big backs with some versatility to them. Neither is anything more than a backup. I think Dominic Rhodes will be too costly to consider.

QB - I honestly wouldn't mind taking a look at Tim Rattay ... but it ain't happening.

In short, I don't really see the need for much movement in FA out there unless it's a great deal. The position that I think will be looked at, based on the talent available, and our needs, would be RB (decent backup material on the board). As nice as Adrian Peterson is, and as good of a guy as he seems, we need to bring in some competition, and I'd ideally like to see one through the draft and one through FA. Depending on what happens, LB/S/OL could merit considerations, but passing on all those would be fine. I'd take a cheap foray at TE with Eric Johnson, but passing would be understandable as well.

bearsfan_51
03-07-2007, 08:15 AM
What about Anthony Adams toony? I think he could work well in a gap penetration scheme?

toonsterwu
03-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Btw, absolutely hate this new format. I hate having to search for specific threads within the team board.

As for Adams, like the guy, but

1) I think he'll be getting a decent amount of dough ... relatively speaking of course for a mediocre talent. Questionable DT draft plus lack of FA DT's (to begin with, and with what's left) could give him a decent contract. Since we are bringing someone in as a depth/wave option, I don't see us spending more than, well, relative to football, a pittance.

2) As for his talent, for a short, squat guy, he has some quickness, but he's probably better suited to play as a 4-3 NT. And I'd rather take my chances with Dvoracek/Johnson at the nose.

Now, if he comes at a good (cheap) price, heck yeah, I'd look. It'd be a nice depth piece that would allow us a 4-deep rotation at DT. That said, I'd rather look at Mike Myers, who I believe is still in FA, than Anthony Adams. Myers would likely be better at the 4-3 NT spot.

KBear
03-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Before the Bears traded Jones, I would have gave some thought into signing Gibril Wilson who I think the Bears need to give up their 2nd round pick for. But not now.

toonsterwu
03-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Flipping through some other lists of FA's, I wouldn't mind a veteran presence like Troy Vincent as a backup, or someone like Matt Bowen. If Briggs is gone, a veteran like Coakley would be okay to bring in on the cheap. If Ruben Brown is gone, bringing in guys like Wiegert, Teague, Villarial, Lehr, James, Seth McKinney on a one year deal would be fine. Derrick Blaylock could be a cheap backup option to consider at RB.

bearsfan_51
03-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Toony I think this is the third year in a row you've advocated us signing Holdman and Bowen. You should be their representatives.

toonsterwu
03-07-2007, 11:06 AM
I think Holdman would be a solid backup LB for us, and Bowen would be the same as well.

KBear
03-07-2007, 03:38 PM
I think Holdman would be a solid backup LB for us, and Bowen would be the same as well.

And you probably will next year as well.

toonsterwu
03-07-2007, 06:29 PM
And you probably will next year as well.

Perhaps ... but who knows. What I do know is that Holdman came off a solid season as a starter for the Redskins in a similar scheme. While I wouldn't want him as a starter, as a backup, if Briggs left, sure, I'd definitely be open to it. Versatile enough to play all three spots.

KBear
03-07-2007, 09:25 PM
I would prefer Bowen over Holdman.

evershot
03-08-2007, 09:46 AM
What do you guys feel about Edwin Mulitalo? He might be a cheap option if they can't resign Rueben Brown. His power run blocking style might fit Benson's running style. The downside will he might not be as good in pass protection and will put more responsiblity on the backs to pass block.

bearsfan_51
03-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Perhaps ... but who knows. What I do know is that Holdman came off a solid season as a starter for the Redskins in a similar scheme. While I wouldn't want him as a starter, as a backup, if Briggs left, sure, I'd definitely be open to it. Versatile enough to play all three spots.

I was just kidding anyway. You just seem to have a certain lexicon in which you store certain players and bring them up every year.

It's much better than HDitka who gets a boner for a new player every 10 seconds and guarantees that we'll draft them.

bearsfan_51
03-08-2007, 11:32 AM
What do you guys feel about Edwin Mulitalo? He might be a cheap option if they can't resign Rueben Brown. His power run blocking style might fit Benson's running style. The downside will he might not be as good in pass protection and will put more responsiblity on the backs to pass block.
I'd need to know why the Ravens cut him before I formed an opinion. I'm always questionable about players that are cut in non-salary cap related issues.

I still really don't see what's wrong with Metcalf and a younger guy for depth. They signed him to a 6 year deal, I think they at least are strongly considering starting him, and he started the whole 2005 season and did a good job by my estimation.

blkwdw13
03-08-2007, 12:18 PM
I'd need to know why the Ravens cut him before I formed an opinion. I'm always questionable about players that are cut in non-salary cap related issues.

I still really don't see what's wrong with Metcalf and a younger guy for depth. They signed him to a 6 year deal, I think they at least are strongly considering starting him, and he started the whole 2005 season and did a good job by my estimation.

This is what I think also, I'm more confident in drafting a young OL and going with Metcalf than signing somebody in free agency.

bearsfan_51
03-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Cameron Worrell signed a two year deal with the Dolphins. With AP likely moving into the #2 role we need to start replacing some of our special teams aces. If Todd Johnson can be had back for cheap we should do so, for his special teams play if nothing else.

SFbear
03-08-2007, 01:28 PM

Im pretty sure that was a cap casualty situation. Billick mentioned how hard it was for him to make that cut because of how hard he worked and how he did everything they asked.

I think if Ruben leaves, Metcalf will start and then we'll bring Tyler Reed off the practice squad for depth. Im not sure what they see in Reed but it must be something.

blkwdw13
03-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Was Todd Johnson used much on special teams, I don't really remember him, but he would be good if he comes cheap since he is known as a hitter.

KBear
03-08-2007, 02:02 PM
I really wouldnt care if Johnson decided not to come back. The Bears can draft someone in the 6th round and it would be an improvement over him.

evershot
03-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Im pretty sure that was a cap casualty situation. Billick mentioned how hard it was for him to make that cut because of how hard he worked and how he did everything they asked.

I think if Ruben leaves, Metcalf will start and then we'll bring Tyler Reed off the practice squad for depth. Im not sure what they see in Reed but it must be something.

I feel that Metcalf can be a solid starter but Mulitalo's physical blocking style may suit Benson's straight ahead running style. I also heard he was cut because they were trying to make room for McGahee's new contract.

I don't know still Mulitalo doesn't quite have all the skill sets which Rueben had in that while he can straight up power block for a down hill runner and he can combo block relatively well, I'm not sure he is a mobile enough to pull or run the inside traps.

I

bearsfan_51
03-08-2007, 02:22 PM

I'm not sure I buy that though. They cut him well into the FA period, which is in part why Billick said all that because if I was Edwin I would have been very pissed. I think they waited to cut him because they didn't want the Browns to sign him.

KBear
03-08-2007, 02:26 PM
I believe he got hurt during the season, maybe he was not recovering as well as they liked. They do have a couple of young guys there and they could be looking to draft an OG early, maybe Grubbs in the first round. Who knows.

Hurricane Ditka
03-08-2007, 03:38 PM
I was just kidding anyway. You just seem to have a certain lexicon in which you store certain players and bring them up every year.

It's much better than HDitka who gets a boner for a new player every 10 seconds and guarantees that we'll draft them.I never guaranteed anything. I was looking for options, and things to talk about.

evershot
03-09-2007, 01:00 PM
I never guaranteed anything. I was looking for options, and things to talk about.

Wrong answer your supposed to say "I don't get a boner for a new player every ten seconds"

Not that theres anything wrong with that.

j/k couldn't resist.

bearsfan_51
03-10-2007, 12:51 PM
I still think that if we aren't serious about drafting a TE we should sign Jermaine Wiggens to a one or two year deal. He's an immediate upgrade over Gilmore.

pellepelle_10
03-10-2007, 02:01 PM
I still think that if we aren't serious about drafting a TE we should sign Jermaine Wiggens to a one or two year deal. He's an immediate upgrade over Gilmore.

I like your idea bears fan but I'd rather us get a Erron Kinney. We've lost a lot of depth at safety this offseason. I'm really hoping we get either Griffin or Merriweather with one of those 1st 2 picks.

toonsterwu
03-10-2007, 03:05 PM
I'd be okay with Kinney or Wiggins at a cheap price. Personally, I wouldn't mind taking Doug Jolley (I think he's still a FA).

Jerramy Stevens is probably the most talented guy remaining (I don't think he's signed yet), but I don't see a how probability of us going after him.

pellepelle_10
03-10-2007, 10:53 PM
I'd be okay with Kinney or Wiggins at a cheap price. Personally, I wouldn't mind taking Doug Jolley (I think he's still a FA).

Jerramy Stevens is probably the most talented guy remaining (I don't think he's signed yet), but I don't see a how probability of us going after him.

The guy has been a headcase all throughout his career. If you guys think Tank Johnson is bad think again. This is another UW Husky with a bad past (driving through an old ladies house while drunk during his college career). No thanks man.

toonsterwu
03-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Oh I agree, all I'm saying is that he's most talented TE, but his off-field issues would deter.

KBear
03-14-2007, 03:35 AM
What are your thoughts about adding Tyrone Calico or a Darius Watts to be our 5th WR, or at least compete with Currie to be our 5th WR. With Muhammed not going anywhere and with Berrian, Bradley and Davis, it does not make much sense to sign a more expensive option or really spend that high a draft pick on who would not make the active roster on game day. Either one should come fairly cheep, and it would still allow the Bears to keep developing Bradley and Berrian.

pellepelle_10
03-14-2007, 02:08 PM
The guy has been a headcase all throughout his career. If you guys think Tank Johnson is bad think again. This is another UW Husky with a bad past (driving through an old ladies house while drunk during his college career). No thanks man.
I can't get this out of my mouth long enough to see this on espn.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2797612

Again no thanks.

bearsfan_51
03-14-2007, 02:28 PM
What are your thoughts about adding Tyrone Calico or a Darius Watts to be our 5th WR, or at least compete with Currie to be our 5th WR. With Muhammed not going anywhere and with Berrian, Bradley and Davis, it does not make much sense to sign a more expensive option or really spend that high a draft pick on who would not make the active roster on game day. Either one should come fairly cheep, and it would still allow the Bears to keep developing Bradley and Berrian.

I like Mike Hass more than any of those previously mentioned people, plus he's already on our roster.

KBear
03-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Maybe Hass is better then both of them, however, I dont think it would hurt to bring in some inexpensive competition either.

bearsfan_51
03-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Maybe Hass is better then both of them, however, I dont think it would hurt to bring in some inexpensive competition either.
I'd rather just go with the UDFA route. Get some camp invites that are super cheap and eager to play special teams, which is all the 5th WR does anyway, if they even make the gameday roster, which they rarely do on this team.

pellepelle_10
03-15-2007, 09:48 PM
I'd rather just go with the UDFA route. Get some camp invites that are super cheap and eager to play special teams, which is all the 5th WR does anyway, if they even make the gameday roster, which they rarely do on this team.

I'm looking forward to seeing Haas in pre-season. The Bears almost drafted Watts but he was taken very early by Denver so I wouldn't rule him out. He's already come to Chicago on a visit after he was first cut so maybe there was something they didn't like. I'd definatelly give him an opportunity if he came along at a reasonable price.

regoob2
03-18-2007, 11:30 AM
I feel at some point we have to sign a few free agents, who and when do you think we will sign

Bears_Fan
03-18-2007, 10:15 PM
I think we should sign a RB, instead of acquiring one in the draft. My top UFAs would be Chris Brown or Reno Mahe. Brown is productive, when not injured, and competing to be behind the featured back may be the ticket. Mahe is always involved in special teams and seemed and adequate ball carrier. Any thoughts on these ideas? This would free up a draft pick that is needed elsewhere.

Bearsfan123
03-18-2007, 10:16 PM
i like the Mahe idea but most everyone else believes the draft is the right route.

Bears_Fan
03-18-2007, 10:18 PM
I would suggest James Mungro, but it might be too soon after the torn ACL in August.

Bears_Fan
03-18-2007, 10:38 PM
i like the Mahe idea but most everyone else believes the draft is the right route.

Why would the draft be the better route? It seems whoever we could get on the second day would have a long way to go.

dabears10
03-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Im not sure about that. I think that darius walker or Lorenzo Booker both could easily fit as the 2nd back in our system. They can block and pick up good yardage on draws and screens on 3rd down.

regoob2
03-18-2007, 11:47 PM
What about any of the restricted free agents, Ernest Wilfork lokes like a decent replacement for Moose, Ive also heard some talk about Anthony Adams DT from the niners, he could add some depth at NT or UT

bearsfan_51
03-19-2007, 11:41 AM
Boone goes bye bye. 4 year deal with the Chiefs.

Bears_Fan
03-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Im not sure about that. I think that darius walker or Lorenzo Booker both could easily fit as the 2nd back in our system. They can block and pick up good yardage on draws and screens on 3rd down.

I can see those guys being decent back-ups, but they are not going to last very long on the second day. I would not be surprised if one or the other is drafted in the 3rd Round.

Bearsfan123
03-19-2007, 06:32 PM
What about Mike Gandy? i mean i know he was on Chicago before but if we can get him fairly cheaply then its a good idea right?

bearsfan_51
03-19-2007, 06:41 PM
What about Mike Gandy? i mean i know he was on Chicago before but if we can get him fairly cheaply then its a good idea right?
Fuuuuuuuck no.

Hurricane Ditka
03-19-2007, 06:46 PM
Jesus Tap dancing Christ no thank you.

Bears_Fan
03-19-2007, 08:53 PM
Ernest Wilfork lokes like a decent replacement for Moose

I thought about this, but Wilfork is not worth a 2nd Rd Pick. I still think Reno Mahe is the signing we should work to get; he should be relatively cheap and is experienced on special teams.

regoob2
03-19-2007, 11:16 PM
Would we really have to give up a second, I was thinking third at the most?

Bears_Fan
03-20-2007, 06:27 PM
Would we really have to give up a second, I was thinking third at the most?

Wilford is listed as a 2nd here:
http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/afc-restricted

RexGrossmans-cheesecake
03-20-2007, 06:31 PM
The Bears just got Archuleta for a 6th round pick... On ESPN now

SFbear
03-20-2007, 06:32 PM
The Bears just got Archuleta for a 6th round pick... On ESPN now

We're paying him 8.1 million over the next three years with 5 million guaranteed.

toonsterwu
03-20-2007, 06:36 PM
The Archuleta move more than likely erases S as an early focus, not that I was sold on it anyways. If we keep our picks, I think we are going OL with one, and WR/LB with the other (unless there's a TE we like). I could see us dealing up a little for a LB as well.

Wonder what happens with Brown. FS? That'd certainly buy time for Danieal Manning to learn a little more. Wouldn't surprise me if we cut Brown either.

Bears_Fan
03-20-2007, 07:05 PM
I am so glad we didn't overpay for Archuleta when the Redskins signed him.

This seems to be a good trade.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-20-2007, 07:14 PM
DO NOT EVER QUESTION JERRY ANGELO..

Let's just say he knows what hes doing by bringing her in..

http://forum.surfermag.com/photopost/data/507/medium/5jennifer-walcott04.jpg

AA's wife .. I approve.

toonsterwu
03-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Currently, my day 1 mock for the Bears looks like

1. Ben Grubbs - While not a fan of going OG, I think this may be the type of safe move that Angelo starts off with. If Ruben Brown resigns, this drops.

2. Ben Patrick - Angelo has never shied away from guys from smaller schools. If we took a TE, Patrick's the type of guy that Angelo might go after. His stock has been, overall, rising, and he's the most well rounded TE.

3. Rufus Alexander - There's some talk that Alexander is slipping pretty bad, but in the late 3rd, if he falls there (and he might not be there after I go through adjustments laters), he would be a worthy gamble. Smart, instinctive player, a tad undersized that fell. Sounds a lot like DeMeco Ryans last year, although I don't think Rufus is as good. Gives us options and depth.

KBear
03-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Currently, my day 1 mock for the Bears looks like

1. Ben Grubbs - While not a fan of going OG, I think this may be the type of safe move that Angelo starts off with. If Ruben Brown resigns, this drops..
Fine with Grubbs.
2. Ben Patrick - Angelo has never shied away from guys from smaller schools. If we took a TE, Patrick's the type of guy that Angelo might go after. His stock has been, overall, rising, and he's the most well rounded TE...
Angleo does not shy away from small school prospects, but he has shied away from TEs.
3. Rufus Alexander - There's some talk that Alexander is slipping pretty bad, but in the late 3rd, if he falls there (and he might not be there after I go through adjustments laters), he would be a worthy gamble. Smart, instinctive player, a tad undersized that fell. Sounds a lot like DeMeco Ryans last year, although I don't think Rufus is as good. Gives us options and depth.
I'm not sold on him, I know Bears have drafted several Oklahoma players over the past few years, but Oklahoma does not have the best track record of producing good LBs.

Hurricane Ditka
03-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Angelo recently admitted he regretting not picking a TE last year.

toonsterwu
03-20-2007, 08:51 PM
It may very well end up that Angelo shies away from TE again. Currently, in the 2nd, I was contemplating TE or WR. That said, with Muhammad still capable for his role, Berrian playing better, and Mark Bradley still around, I've got a hard time seeing WR this high. I think the dynamics may finally be different this year relative to the thought process on TE, but he may very well pass and we'll see how the board shifts. Clark's contract is up in 2 years, which is closer than it sounds, and this is a make or break year for Rex, and he needs weapons. Maybe it ends up being WR being the look, but for now, I think we'll look at WR/TE early and make a pick from that area.

As for Alexander, I wasn't really thinking Oklahoma. More or less that, if he did fall that far, it'd probably be a solid fit pick and worth some consideration.

But I am constantly changing my mock.

regoob2
03-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Ben Patrick should not be picked at 37, personally i would like to see us trade down unless someone elite slips

evershot
03-20-2007, 09:06 PM
I think with trade for Arch it makes the moving up in the first much more feasible. It all really depends on who might the Bears target in the first round.

pellepelle_10
03-20-2007, 10:28 PM
I think with trade for Arch it makes the moving up in the first much more feasible. It all really depends on who might the Bears target in the first round.

Why are we trading for a guy we can get out of FA after he's cut. The skins weren't planning on keeping this guy. I don't get this trade move at all.

pellepelle_10
03-20-2007, 10:29 PM
Angelo recently admitted he regretting not picking a TE last year.

Wow really? You're kidding me. I don't get why he'd say that given the performance Clark had. That is crazy.

pellepelle_10
03-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Fine with Grubbs.

Angleo does not shy away from small school prospects, but he has shied away from TEs.

I'm not sold on him, I know Bears have drafted several Oklahoma players over the past few years, but Oklahoma does not have the best track record of producing good LBs.

KBear what happened to WR? lol..I think one of the WR's would be hands down better than any TE at this point. JMO>

pellepelle_10
03-20-2007, 10:31 PM
We're paying him 8.1 million over the next three years with 5 million guaranteed.

This is horrible. Ok we pay him 5 mil for 3 years but 8? WOW...we're making a big mistake..this is horrible.

toonsterwu
03-20-2007, 10:32 PM
Ben Patrick should not be picked at 37, personally i would like to see us trade down unless someone elite slips

Alright, why shouldn't he? I'll agree that his value isn't there right now ... but Charles Tillman's value wasn't that high until the final stages, and I could list a lot of other options. He's considered a late 2nd/3rd rounder right now, so I don't think it's impossible for him to move up. Skillset wise, he has the athletic ability to attack the seams and the willingness in blocking to be decent-solid. Won't be a dominant run blocker, but he should be fine.

toonsterwu
03-20-2007, 10:34 PM
Why are we trading for a guy we can get out of FA after he's cut. The skins weren't planning on keeping this guy. I don't get this trade move at all.

Potentially, the thinking was this - Washington was making serious comments about keeping Archuleta, and giving up a 6th rounder isn't a big cost. Despite media and board comments about their precarious cap situation, they were in position to stash Adam away if they really wanted. Now, I think Washington was bluffing, but while Adam might love Lovie, there was the possibility that, if he hit the open market, he might get a better contract than expected, beyond what we were likely willing to pay. Not saying it would've happened, but there was that chance. While his play was substandard in Washington, a lot of people blamed that on Gregg Williams not using him correctly.

toonsterwu
03-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Wow really? You're kidding me. I don't get why he'd say that given the performance Clark had. That is crazy.

There were a lot of secondary comments about that, although I still haven't seen the initial report. But Clark's contract does end in 2 years, and the likelihood of him getting extended at that age to be our starter is minimal.

toonsterwu
03-20-2007, 10:37 PM
KBear what happened to WR? lol..I think one of the WR's would be hands down better than any TE at this point. JMO>

I think WR is a thought ... but I've got a tough time seeing it as of now. They had high hopes for BRadley, and I doubt that's disappeared, and Berrian played well.

pellepelle_10
03-20-2007, 10:53 PM
I think WR is a thought ... but I've got a tough time seeing it as of now. They had high hopes for BRadley, and I doubt that's disappeared, and Berrian played well.

I do too but we still need someone to resume the possession receiver role. I think Bradley could be better than Berrian. This is just my opinion. The problem is he's injury prone. Everytime I see him play I'm worried he's going to leave the game. If he can play more than 3 downs he'd be very dangerous. We all know what he's capable of. Can he remain on the field though. That is the magical question. I'd honestly love to see him blow up like Marcus Robinson did in the 90's.

pellepelle_10
03-20-2007, 10:56 PM
There were a lot of secondary comments about that, although I still haven't seen the initial report. But Clark's contract does end in 2 years, and the likelihood of him getting extended at that age to be our starter is minimal.

toon I'm not against us getting a TE and all..but I really don't want to see it any higher than the 3rd round unless its something special..(Olsen going past 31). Other than that no thanks. I'm even hesitant at getting Olsen at 37 and I'm being serious. We have far bigger fish to fry. I'd really like to see Beason come to Chi-Town but with the media hyping him up who knows. Also Jason Hill and Steve Smith could end up being big steals in this draft.

toonsterwu
03-20-2007, 11:00 PM
toon I'm not against us getting a TE and all..but I really don't want to see it any higher than the 3rd round unless its something special..(Olsen going past 31). Other than that no thanks. I'm even hesitant at getting Olsen at 37 and I'm being serious. We have far bigger fish to fry. I'd really like to see Beason come to Chi-Town but with the media hyping him up who knows. Also Jason Hill and Steve Smith could end up being big steals in this draft.

Beason was actually available in my long mock at 31, but I really am starting to buy into OG there. If Ruben Brown resigns, that changes the dynamics, so it bears watching. I'm a huge Beason fan, and I think he's fairly similar to Briggs. At 37, Beason was gone already.

bearsfan_51
03-20-2007, 11:09 PM
A few thoughts.

1)Go back and read the comments Angelo made about drafting a tight end. When taken in context they aren't that big of a deal at all. It's been blow out of proportion on this board for no reason.

2)I agree that #37 is too high for Patrick. I'm not convinced that any tight end is good value at #37.

3)The contract given to Arch is nothing in this market, and 6th round picks are 50/50 to make the roster at best. Keep in mind that we also got the Browns 7th round pick for Lennie Friedman, which is only a few spots down. Essentially we traded Lennie Friedman for Archuleta, I'll take it.

4)I'm still not convinced that Arch is being brough in to start, but if Lovie is that determined to get him I could see it. I think it will take a lot of him proving himself in training camp and preseason however, and by that time the health status of Mike Brown will probably be figured out. I imagine this is a scenario that won't be easily fixed.

5)While I'm in love with Griffin, the chance that Brown will be fully healthy is probably too much to use a 1st round pick on a backup. This way we have an insurance policy without wasting a high pick. I like it.

bearsfan_51
03-20-2007, 11:10 PM
Considering how much they go three-wide in Turner's offense there is a need for another guy for the future as well. Jarrett would be a great replacement for Moose, who likely has about two good years left in him, about as long as it usually takes for young wide recievers to develop.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Does the AA signing completely eliminate taking a DB @ #37?

bearsfan_51
03-20-2007, 11:15 PM
Does the AA signing completely eliminate taking a DB @ #37?

It probably doesn't completely eliminate it, but it drops it to about 6th or 7th on the list.

pellepelle_10
03-20-2007, 11:47 PM
Beason was actually available in my long mock at 31, but I really am starting to buy into OG there. If Ruben Brown resigns, that changes the dynamics, so it bears watching. I'm a huge Beason fan, and I think he's fairly similar to Briggs. At 37, Beason was gone already.

I honestly wouldn't mind getting Beason with the 31st pick and going OG or WR in the 2nd. With us getting Archuleta its probably out of the question for us to get a Safety now. (I'm not a fan of this but what can you do?)

Beason and Steve Smith?

pellepelle_10
03-20-2007, 11:49 PM
It probably doesn't completely eliminate it, but it drops it to about 6th or 7th on the list.

Yeah this blows ..I can see DB hitting the backburner until a later round. I'm hoping I'm wrong on this because he's not the answer. For depth yes but not for a legit starter. Maybe we can focus on CB depth...Houston or Ross?

pellepelle_10
03-20-2007, 11:55 PM
A few thoughts.

1)Go back and read the comments Angelo made about drafting a tight end. When taken in context they aren't that big of a deal at all. It's been blow out of proportion on this board for no reason.

2)I agree that #37 is too high for Patrick. I'm not convinced that any tight end is good value at #37.

3)The contract given to Arch is nothing in this market, and 6th round picks are 50/50 to make the roster at best. Keep in mind that we also got the Browns 7th round pick for Lennie Friedman, which is only a few spots down. Essentially we traded Lennie Friedman for Archuleta, I'll take it.

4)I'm still not convinced that Arch is being brough in to start, but if Lovie is that determined to get him I could see it. I think it will take a lot of him proving himself in training camp and preseason however, and by that time the health status of Mike Brown will probably be figured out. I imagine this is a scenario that won't be easily fixed.

5)While I'm in love with Griffin, the chance that Brown will be fully healthy is probably too much to use a 1st round pick on a backup. This way we have an insurance policy without wasting a high pick. I like it.

1. I am glad because we have more needs than TE. The way people have been dissing Miller we can probably get him in the 3rd. I like Chandler for a later rnd pick.

2. I agree. I wish we could bring in Erron Kinney and leave this position alone in the draft.

3. I don't think the contract is the biggest issue. I think its the fact that it may eliminate us from grabbing a clear cut star in Griffin, Merriweather. This is a very attractive class of safeties for the first 2rnds.

4. Boy do I hope you're right bearfan if he is the new and improved replacement for Todd Johnson then I'm all for it. Something tells me this won't be the case. I hope I'm wrong though because there are some good players to get out of this draft.

5. For depth yes but not a replacement. *sigh* I hope this isn't the end of looking at DB's.

bearsfan_51
03-21-2007, 01:20 AM
We have many more needs than safety though. Even if it's only a slight improvement, (and I think we all can agree that Archuleta is an improvement over Todd Johnson) it's worth making the move.

We can't afford to be singular in our focus.

KBear
03-21-2007, 03:03 AM

Didn't say anything about WR. But you are right though about a WR being better then a TE, but that has more to do with the TEs this year being below average in talent wise.

KBear
03-21-2007, 03:07 AM
Alright, why shouldn't he? I'll agree that his value isn't there right now ... but Charles Tillman's value wasn't that high until the final stages, and I could list a lot of other options. He's considered a late 2nd/3rd rounder right now, so I don't think it's impossible for him to move up. Skillset wise, he has the athletic ability to attack the seams and the willingness in blocking to be decent-solid. Won't be a dominant run blocker, but he should be fine.

I was thinking it was a bit high for Patrick, but Angelo might have him rated higher then we do so it is something he might do. But if he has a late 2nd early 3rd round grade and the Bears draft him at #37, the Jones trade wont look so good.

KBear
03-21-2007, 03:38 AM

Berrian did play well, but his contract is up soon, and Bradley has had a hard time staying healthy. So I can see the Bears going WR in the 3-5th rounds, perhaps taking a chance on a project rather then a more polished WR becuase they can afford to wait, plus its the way Angelo likes to draft. So I could see them going with a Paul Williams or a Jacoby Jones.

Muhammed is getting up there in age, but he still has a few productive seasons left. I could see maybe a Courtney Taylor being as a decent replacement for him.

Davis is solid, but can be upgraded, though I dont see that happening in this draft. We still have Currie to compete with him in training camp. Davis's contract is aslo almost up, but I feel he will come back cheap, and was decent enough not to really need an upgrade.

Hurricane Ditka
03-21-2007, 06:37 AM
I honestly wouldn't mind getting Beason with the 31st pick and going OG or WR in the 2nd. With us getting Archuleta its probably out of the question for us to get a Safety now. (I'm not a fan of this but what can you do?)

Beason and Steve Smith?
Steve Smith is a bigger reach at 37 than Ben Patrick.

regoob2
03-21-2007, 11:47 AM
There both a reach IMO, Jarrett or Bowe could be at 31, and Grubbs or Blalock at 37, i would like to see us trade down for a TE, DT, theres a few guys in the middle of the second that could help us

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-21-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm really hoping for Jarrett.. If Olsen isn't there, theres really no other better redzone target than a 6'5 WR with great hands.

bearsfan_51
03-21-2007, 12:51 PM

Both are at a late 2nd/early 3rd value right now.

pellepelle_10
03-21-2007, 02:50 PM

Maybe to you. To me Steve Smith's production shows a hell of a lot more than Ben Patrick's. No knock on the guy becuase he came from Deleware but the talent at TE is very suspect this year. If the choice came between Steve Smith and Ben Patrick its a no brainer to me.

pellepelle_10
03-21-2007, 02:52 PM
There both a reach IMO, Jarrett or Bowe could be at 31, and Grubbs or Blalock at 37, i would like to see us trade down for a TE, DT, theres a few guys in the middle of the second that could help us

At this point either one of these guys would be a solid addition. The need for a true possession receiver is great. Ever since Booker left we've been at a void for this spot. I know we have Moose but lets be honest. He's no Marty Booker.

KBear
03-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Muhammed has slightly better numbers then Booker, and is a real good run blocker for a WR. You could make a case that Booker would have put up better numbers in Chicago, but I still think they would have been similar to Muhammeds. They both have similar $ counted towards their teams caps. The big difference is that Muhammed came with great expectations, and did not quite live up to them, but still has been solid for us.

bearsfan_51
03-21-2007, 04:40 PM
What the ****? Moose is way better than Booker.

SFbear
03-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Faneca is holding out in Pittsburgh. With them moving to a 4-3 with Tomlin are we in any position to acquire him assuming Ruben doesnt get resigned? The price tag could be heavy but it would be for a very talented player at a need position.

KBear
03-22-2007, 01:30 PM
I read that the Bears do have an offer out there for Brown, but also that its not really a pressing issure for them since they feel Metcalf is a capable starter and he is already signed long term. So I dont see the Bears making a move to sign a free agent guard.

Bearsfan123
03-23-2007, 05:55 PM
any chance we bring in Carr to compete?

(I like the idea personally but Im almost positive its a no)

regoob2
03-25-2007, 07:35 PM
no........

Bears_Fan
03-25-2007, 08:33 PM
We signed three players.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2812251

Bearsfan123
03-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Anthony Adams, Reuben Brown, and who?

Smokey Joe
03-25-2007, 10:04 PM
Anthony Adams, Reuben Brown, and who?

Tyrone Carter..

pellepelle_10
03-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Tyrone Carter..

I know nothing about this guy. Anyone care to share some tidbits on him other than he's 30 and must be here for experience? lol

bearsfan_51
03-27-2007, 09:30 PM
Bears | Scott likely to re-sign
Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:54:23 -0700

D. Orlando Ledbetter, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports the Chicago Bears are likely to re-sign unrestricted free-agent DT Ian Scott.

Interesting. I think this would all but ensure the door for Tank. Either that or the staff feels Dvorack isn't ready to contribute.

Smokey Joe
03-27-2007, 09:54 PM
I know nothing about this guy. Anyone care to share some tidbits on him other than he's 30 and must be here for experience? lol

actually, that was ESPN's fault and we didn't sign him...

Smokey Joe
03-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Bears | Scott likely to re-sign
Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:54:23 -0700

D. Orlando Ledbetter, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports the Chicago Bears are likely to re-sign unrestricted free-agent DT Ian Scott.

Interesting. I think this would all but ensure the door for Tank. Either that or the staff feels Dvorack isn't ready to contribute.

hmmm... that is very interesting. I really don't know what this means. With Scott returning likely, our DT situation will look like this...

Harris, Adams, Scott, Dvoracek, Johnson, and Garay. My first thought would be that Johnson is likely to be cut, but I don't see JA turning his back on him just yet. My thoughts right now is that the team is still concerned about Tommie, and Dvoracek is still a ? to them.

pellepelle_10
03-27-2007, 10:38 PM
hmmm... that is very interesting. I really don't know what this means. With Scott returning likely, our DT situation will look like this...

Harris, Adams, Scott, Dvoracek, Johnson, and Garay. My first thought would be that Johnson is likely to be cut, but I don't see JA turning his back on him just yet. My thoughts right now is that the team is still concerned about Tommie, and Dvoracek is still a ? to them.

Why is Johnson so low Smokey? His perfomance should have him 3rd at the least. IMO he's a bigger upgrade than Scott other than his off the field issues. Dvoracek hasn't played enough to warrant a higher position. He has the ability to become 2nd on the depth chart but until he proves it I'd keep him at last. I'm hoping he rips it up. I don't want to see Tank get the boot unless he messes up again. If he can clean his act up then thats great for us depth wise. He has the ability to continue to grow into one heck of a DT.

pellepelle_10
03-27-2007, 10:40 PM
actually, that was ESPN's fault and we didn't sign him...

Looks like this could be addressed in the draft especially if Manning is moved to CB. I see this being reality come April 28th.

Smokey Joe
03-27-2007, 11:08 PM
Why is Johnson so low Smokey? His perfomance should have him 3rd at the least. IMO he's a bigger upgrade than Scott other than his off the field issues. Dvoracek hasn't played enough to warrant a higher position. He has the ability to become 2nd on the depth chart but until he proves it I'd keep him at last. I'm hoping he rips it up. I don't want to see Tank get the boot unless he messes up again. If he can clean his act up then thats great for us depth wise. He has the ability to continue to grow into one heck of a DT.

I wasn't ranking them, I was just throwing their names out there.

pellepelle_10
03-27-2007, 11:12 PM
I wasn't ranking them, I was just throwing their names out there.

Ahh ok..nm