View Full Version : San Diego Selects Antoine Cason

Thunder&Lightning
04-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Thoughts on the pick...

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/tmel07/cason.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc115/JoePaustell/ac25.jpg

sdpads24
04-26-2008, 06:50 PM
I like it. We had almost no depth at all at cornerback and this solidifies that. He should be able to come in right away and contribute at the nickel position.

San Diego Chicken
04-26-2008, 07:05 PM
I think it was a pretty safe pick. The value there at #27 was off for all of the other positions of need. I'm guessing this cements Oliver's move to safety and is a good insurance policy if we eventually can't re-sign Cromartie. Cason's a good character guy, and he's very NFL ready; he should be better as a nickelback than Cromartie was in his rookie year.

Trading down would have been the ideal, because I don't think we can get anyone worthwhile tomorrow, but if you had to make a pick at #27, Cason was a smart pick. I think that if Duane Brown was there at #27 he would have been the pick because I've been reading that the team really liked him, but we should be fine next year with Clary starting at RT, we just have to hope that we don't have any major injuries on the OL.

DonWoods33
04-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Solid. I think they are looking to him as the 3rd corner I would imagine. We all wanted Phillips, but they must have not been that high on him. You kind of wonder what role Oliver plays on the team, no one has ever said he was going to play safety.

bantx
04-26-2008, 07:38 PM
i really wanted kenny phillips one he plays 2 positions that we need, i was really bummed when they got antoine cason i guess ill have to learn to like him

UncleHulka
04-26-2008, 11:51 PM
Oliver goes to free safety and Cason, with incredible intangibles is the nickel guy. 4 year starter with limited upside, but immediate help at an important position. A great pick for a team that had a need there. He is right away as good as what they had in Florence, with a character bonus. Nice, nice pick. I also wanted to see them trade down, but still happy with the choice. Oh, and he is a bit of a playmaker too. Good hands. How many drops did Florence have? Yeah, too many to count.

Chargers now have a really dangerous secondary. Pass rush + playmakers in secondary = turnover advantage. And this guy is a plus in the locker room. Still some needs, but I can't complain.

bantx
04-27-2008, 12:02 AM
We had the best Secondary in the league last year and it only improved

Thunder&Lightning
04-27-2008, 08:34 PM
We had the best Secondary in the league last year and it only improved

Amen broda could be said any better

Average OT LB
04-28-2008, 02:36 AM
When i first heard the pick i was a little surprised. When i heard all the talk about him and read some stuff about him, im actually quite pleased with the pick. He seems like a perfect corner prototype and he'll be great for depth.

Then i read this:

The Bad: At times, he overreacts to pump fakes or double moves - especially by smaller, quicker receivers. Biting on these fakes often gets him out of position. He matches up better with big receivers where his size, agility and physical skills allow him to grade out high.

This kid is supposed to play nickel right? I don't want to look to far ahead, but i mean if the time comes and we have to play the pats (and wes welker) we're gonna get shred apart.

I still like the kid tho...

bantx
04-28-2008, 06:47 AM
When i first heard the pick i was a little surprised. When i heard all the talk about him and read some stuff about him, im actually quite pleased with the pick. He seems like a perfect corner prototype and he'll be great for depth.

Then i read this:

The Bad: At times, he overreacts to pump fakes or double moves - especially by smaller, quicker receivers. Biting on these fakes often gets him out of position. He matches up better with big receivers where his size, agility and physical skills allow him to grade out high.

This kid is supposed to play nickel right? I don't want to look to far ahead, but i mean if the time comes and we have to play the pats (and wes welker) we're gonna get shred apart.

sounds like stuff that can be straightened out, im not too worried about it

Thunder&Lightning
04-28-2008, 07:02 AM

Then i read this:

It would be an issue if the problems had to do with his athleticism but since they are technique problems they can be fixed with some good coaching. Im not worried at all...

CC.SD
04-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Great pick. Very difficult to complain about a high character guy who just happens to be the Thorpe award winner. Our secondary plus our pass rush=beastly, beastly defense.

Average OT LB
05-09-2008, 12:42 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0804/nfl.fans.underrated.draft.prospects/content.1.html?eref=si

no love
05-09-2008, 03:29 AM
Cason is a great pick. The guy is another play maker and I think the Chargers needed another corner who could match up well with the bigger wr's in the AFC west (Walker, Marshall, Bowe), without having to have corners switch sides or positions when the WR's are motioned into the slot.

I liked Flowers a bit better, but I really can't complain. This guy is a playmaker. Good value pick up for you guys.