PDA

View Full Version : Joe Thomas

Notredameleo
02-27-2007, 07:36 AM
I just dont get the point of drafting a lineman, wasn't Jon Scott supposed to be the future at RT. Where would he go with Thomas here. Guard?

asmitty45
02-27-2007, 09:08 AM
I personally dont think we should take him, and that we should address DE/MLB in the first but i think theyd probably try to move either scott or Backus into guard.

TacticaLion
02-27-2007, 09:24 AM
Theres a great chance that the Lions WONT take Joe Thomas. They know that the Cards want him. So, by falling in love with him and claiming that he'll be the pick, they can force the Cards to trade up or "miss out".

Marinelli will be targeting a DE or MLB in the first round. If they can find a way to get Willis, they'll take him. If not, the pick will probably be Gaines Adams... if they feel he's worth it.

Xiomera
02-27-2007, 10:04 AM
Problem is that Thomas is the only guy we NEED that is worthy of the #2 pick. I wouldn't bet on a trade w/ Arizona, so Thomas is gonna be the pick in all likelyhood.

And I have no problem with that.

Jonathan Scott didn't prove much last season. People pegged him as the future RT starter, but I think that is a bit more optimistic than it is realistic. Scott could be a great backup for us, but did we really expect him to come in and be a starter? There is a reason that he fell to day two of the draft after all . . .

detknowitall
02-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Problem is that Thomas is the only guy we NEED that is worthy of the #2 pick. I wouldn't bet on a trade w/ Arizona, so Thomas is gonna be the pick in all likelyhood.

And I have no problem with that.

Jonathan Scott didn't prove much last season. People pegged him as the future RT starter, but I think that is a bit more optimistic than it is realistic. Scott could be a great backup for us, but did we really expect him to come in and be a starter? There is a reason that he fell to day two of the draft after all . . .

Scott would be a good Guard. Especially if we dump fata$$ Woody with his hefty contract. I have no problem drafting Joe Thomas or trading down with AZ and grabbing Gaines Adams. Especially after the Combine both had. Joe Thomas just made his value go up forcing AZ to give up a little more for the #2 pick. And Gaines Adams proved he's worthy of the #5 overall pick.

JoeMontainya
02-27-2007, 11:26 AM
IMO the Lions shouldnt address the OL, because then they would still have one of the worste OL's and i will continue to laugh at the fact the Backus is a starter.

LT - Joe Thomas
LG - Jeff backus
RT - Jon Scott

P-L
02-27-2007, 11:41 AM
IMO the Lions shouldnt address the OL, because then they would still have one of the worste OL's and i will continue to laugh at the fact the Backus is a starter.

LT - Joe Thomas
LG - Jeff backus
RT - Jon Scott
If we drafted Thomas this is what I'd like to see happen, although I think Backus would be the second richest guard in football.

Xiomera
02-27-2007, 11:48 AM

LT - Joe Thomas
LG - Jeff backus
RT - Jon Scott

Millen has publicly stated that Joe Thomas would play Right Tackle to begin with if he is taken. And Backus would remain on the left side.

I just can't remember where I read that . . . probably on MLive.

Backus is far too expensive to be playing at OG.

Addict
02-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Backus is far too expensive to be playing at OG.

And sucks too bad to play left tackle.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Yeah I could see Thomas at Right Tackle in his first year. Ogden played guard his first year before moving to left tackle. Not that I'm comparing the two. Give Thomas time to develop and Jonathan Scott another year to develop. Thomas will be the future at LT, but Backus will be here for at least two more years based on his cap status. Right Tackle and Left Guard have been huge holes on this team forever. Right Guard is becoming a problem with Woody under achieving and coming off a major injury. Maybe having Thomas at Right Tackle will help Woody.

Another possibility is get rid of Woody and sign the recently cut Adam Timmerman to play RG at a reasonable price of course. He is up there in age but would provide a short-term solution if they think he can still play.

WMD
02-27-2007, 06:44 PM
I think Woody is definately cut.

Scotty D
02-27-2007, 06:59 PM
I remember Jon Scott being a revolving door last year also. He could not handle Leonard Little.

TacticaLion
02-28-2007, 05:13 PM
Heres a note take from mlive.com:

(An aside here: At this point, I think the Lions would help themselves the most by taking tackle Joe Thomas, the second-best no-brainer in the draft. But you should know this -- the Lions aren't as concerned about their offensive line as you and I are. Sure, they'd like to upgrade it, but they don't think it's a ddesperate situation.)

I LOVE Marinelli! I can't wait to see who we draft... Willis or Adams?

Pocket
02-28-2007, 07:00 PM
They won't draft Willis at 2 no matter what.

TacticaLion
02-28-2007, 07:27 PM
They won't draft Willis at 2 no matter what.Notice how I said "Willis or Adams"? They'll definately take Adams at #2, and, if they trade down, Willis becomes a huge option.

detroit4life
02-28-2007, 08:57 PM
i keep seeng that adams is intriguing the lions i think he's a huge possibility unless they feel his weight is a little too light for a DE

Xiomera
02-28-2007, 10:18 PM
i keep seeng that adams is intriguing the lions i think he's a huge possibility unless they feel his weight is a little too light for a DE

Agreed . . . they won't draft anyone resembling Kalimba Edwards.

WMD
02-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Agreed . . . they won't draft anyone resembling Kalimba Edwards.

That's what worries me about Gaines. I like Jamaal over Gaines because he's bigger, more well rounded, and has a ton more potential.

detroit4life
02-28-2007, 10:38 PM
i kinda like charles johnson over both of them but im sure they will do plenty of HW on adams before they give up on him. Somthing he has that edwards doesn't have is actual passing moves kalimbas pretty much a speed rusher where adams is an actual pure pass rusher

Xiomera
02-28-2007, 10:43 PM
i kinda like charles johnson over both of them but im sure they will do plenty of HW on adams before they give up on him. Somthing he has that edwards doesn't have is actual passing moves kalimbas pretty much a speed rusher where adams is an actual pure pass rusher

I like Charles Johnson too. I just don't see us being in a position to draft him.

detroit4life
02-28-2007, 10:46 PM
yea exactly unless he continues to raise his stock but i dont see that happening for him to pass up anderson and adams

jbombul
03-01-2007, 10:57 AM
i like adams alot even if he resembles kalimba, everyone is high on this guy, there was a reason kalimba didnt go into the first round, this guy is a sure fire top 5 pick thats saying alot. i think a closer comparision would be dwight freeney, he is light but look at him hes the man

Xiomera
03-02-2007, 01:21 PM
From Tom Kowalski:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_lions/archives/2007_03.html#241813

Friday, March 02, 2007http://www.mlive.com/images/spacer.gifhttp://www.mlive.com/images/spacer.gif
Upon further review -- Lions should draft Thomas
After talking to people around the league and in Denver about tackle George Foster, it's becoming clear that he's not the long-term answer to Detroit's right tackle problem. In fact, it looks like Foster might be here as insurance for Rex Tucker, not the other way around.

And, according to sources, Foster doesn't have the kind of motor and intensity that head coach Rod Marinelli is looking for. To me, that means Foster's here on borrowed time.

Having said that, I'm reverting back to what I said at the beginning -- and what I should stick with throughout this entire process: The Lions should draft Joe Thomas with the second overall pick. Yes, they need defensive help, but Thomas is as close to a "sure thing'' as it gets. If they get Thomas -- and a No. 2 receiver -- the offense is in great shape and then they can spend the rest of their efforts on the defense.

Now, maybe Foster will snap out of it and become the type of player the Lions are looking for, but he spent four years in Denver and the Broncos were trying to dumping him. There's got to be a reason for that.

Jagonsucker
03-02-2007, 01:31 PM
If I was Millen i would Thomas at number 2 or trade down to take Willis. Gaines Adams is too light to play DE in the NFL. Unless he bulks up about 25 pounds of muscle, in the next 2 months, I say the Lions should just keep their pick and take Thomas.

detroit4life
03-02-2007, 02:50 PM
From Tom Kowalski:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_lions/archives/2007_03.html#241813

yeah i think he is still a possibility but we'll see they're talking about moving foster inside at OG