PDA

View Full Version : #1 Overall for 2009 NFL Draft

dregolll
04-28-2008, 08:21 AM
Does anyone have any frontrunners for the 2009 draft, now that 08 is behind us. I would like to know for scouting purposes and please include any juniors that have the potential to go #1 overall.

Sniper
04-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Does anyone have any frontrunners for the 2009 draft, now that 08 is behind us. I would like to know for scouting purposes and please include any juniors that have the potential to go #1 overall.

Chris Wells. He's the man, and I'm a Michigan fan, so I'm most definitely not biased.

bearsfan_51
04-28-2008, 08:37 AM
I would put Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi, as the odds on favorite. Other guys I would consider (obviously VERY early):

-Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State*
-Tim Tebow, QB, Florida*
-Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech*
-Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State

WMD
04-28-2008, 08:38 AM
I'll put my money on Michael Johnson, DE from Georgia Tech.. could also be Michael Oher, Tyson Jackson, or Beanie Wells.

FloridaFootball
04-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State
Tim Tebow QB Florida

Yatta!
04-28-2008, 08:53 AM
I'd go with Michael Oher to start with. Chris Wells is up there as well and if Tebow and/or Matthew Stafford have big seasons, they could be in the mix if someone wants a QB.

Tampa 2 4 life
04-28-2008, 08:58 AM
He's in my sig.

Jakey
04-28-2008, 09:00 AM
George Selvie???

Tampa 2 4 life
04-28-2008, 09:07 AM
George Selvie???

Of course!

SimonRath
He's in my sig.

whos in your sign?

Jakey
Yeah it wouldnt suprise me...he is beastly!

DiG
04-28-2008, 09:16 AM
2 words. Heyward Bey. The kid should be top 10.

Thunder&Lightning
04-28-2008, 09:39 AM
-Beanie Wells
-Malcolm Jenkins
-Michael Oher
-Tim Tebow

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
04-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Beanie Wells to the Detroit Lions :p

BeerBaron
04-28-2008, 09:47 AM
crabtree is going to be a freak. i dont think hes on par with calvin johnson but he will be in the running for a high draft pick with another great season.

eazyb81
04-28-2008, 10:02 AM
George Selvie has to be up there at this point, along with Oher and Jenkins.

TheGreatEscape
04-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Tebow and stafford are the top QBs but with another big season for the illini Juice can put himself in the conversation as he'll light up the combine both physically and with his Spirals.

DiG
04-28-2008, 10:10 AM
crabtree is going to be a freak. i dont think hes on par with calvin johnson but he will be in the running for a high draft pick with another great season.

dhb > crabtree.

badgerbacker
04-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Tebow and stafford are the top QBs but with another big season for the illini Juice can put himself in the conversation as he'll light up the combine both physically and with his Spirals.No offense to you, but I would bet my life that Juice Williams will never be considered the top QB available, much less the top overall pick. I really think he is the most overrated player in college football. Yes, he is athletic has a very strong arm, but his accuracy is bad and he doesn't make great decisions. The Illinois offense did just as well and sometimes better when his backup came in.

We're talking about a guy who has a career completion percentage of 49% and has thrown 21 interceptions compared with 22 TD's. When you say he'd need "another big season," I'm going to say he would have to have a monster season much better than his previous one.

DeathbyStat
04-28-2008, 10:22 AM
I'll go with Oher

princefielder28
04-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Tebow and stafford are the top QBs but with another big season for the illini Juice can put himself in the conversation as he'll light up the combine both physically and with his Spirals.

Juice Williams will never be considered a first round pick. He has great athletic ability but his ability to play quarterback, especially at the next level, is questionable

Santonio10
04-28-2008, 10:26 AM
I agree badgerbacker. Theres no way Juice is even considered a top 5 talent in next years draft, or even a first rounder for that matter. He has A LOT to work on as a QB.

I think Tebows gonna be one of those guys whos stock will drop before next years draft. Every ones gonna pick him apart before the draft and his stock will drop some because he does run a QB friendly offense at Florida. I think at best he'll be a mid-late first rounder. But that also depends on some of the team needs in that area as well.

Santonio10
04-28-2008, 10:28 AM
I'll go with Oher

Yeah im thinking the same thing

georgiafan
04-28-2008, 10:30 AM
I think Tebow will benefit from leaving after this year since the QB class is weak and lots of time will have needs at QB. If he stays to his senior year he will be picked apart by the scouts.

BeerBaron
04-28-2008, 10:30 AM
dhb > crabtree.

i have no idea who dhb is

Santonio10
04-28-2008, 10:31 AM

Darius Heyward-Bey

Santonio10
04-28-2008, 10:33 AM
I think Tebow will benefit from leaving after this year since the QB class is weak and lots of time will have needs at QB. If he stays to his senior year he will be picked apart by the scouts.

Yeah i see what you're saying. Kind of like Matt Ryan this year. I dont think he was that good but he went 3rd overall so who knows.

Babylon
04-28-2008, 10:37 AM

I agree with that logic, if Matt Stafford can get his accuracy up i think he is the better QB of the two and i would even throw Jake Locker in there but he wont come out next year. Talking strictly QB scenario.

MetSox17
04-28-2008, 10:51 AM
I think that if Tebow, Stafford and Sanchez talk to agents, they'll leave for the NFL. Next year is definitely gonna be a Alex Smith-esque top of the first as far as QB's go, and a crappy team might just be forced to take one of them at the top. If Miami sucks horribly again and John Beck doesn't show much, it's too easy to put Tebow there.

fenikz
04-28-2008, 11:00 AM
LeSean McCoy RB Pittsburgh

Wells could be the Stewart of this class and Moreno the Mendenhall(although a lot better)

PACKmanN
04-28-2008, 11:13 AM
I think that if Tebow, Stafford and Sanchez talk to agents, they'll leave for the NFL. Next year is definitely gonna be a Alex Smith-esque top of the first as far as QB's go, and a crappy team might just be forced to take one of them at the top. If Miami sucks horribly again and John Beck doesn't show much, it's too easy to put Tebow there.

They just finished drafting Chad Henne in the second round. I doubt they go qb for about 2 years, they have to know what they have in Henne.

teams with needs at qb are:
Chiefs(depending on the play of Croyle)
Bears
Vikings(depending on the play of Jackson)
Panthers
Buccaneers
49ers(depending on the play of Smith)

Turtlepower
04-28-2008, 11:14 AM
One of the OTs. This OT class is sick. After workouts, I am going to say Max Unger.

TheGreatEscape
04-28-2008, 11:19 AM
No offense to you, but I would bet my life that Juice Williams will never be considered the top QB available, much less the top overall pick. I really think he is the most overrated player in college football. Yes, he is athletic has a very strong arm, but his accuracy is bad and he doesn't make great decisions. The Illinois offense did just as well and sometimes better when his backup came in.

We're talking about a guy who has a career completion percentage of 49% and has thrown 21 interceptions compared with 22 TD's. When you say he'd need "another big season," I'm going to say he would have to have a monster season much better than his previous one.

there's no denying juice hasn't taken the next step yet, but I meant if the Illini had another big season, the only way I see that happening is if Juice takes that next step. At that point he'll be in contention for the top QB spot.

He was terribly inconsistent last year but as the season wore on he seemed to become more comfortable as a passer in that O and the reason his backup saw time was because he was a better runner, cause Juice wouldn't take off and kept his eyes downfield when Zook wanted him to just take off running.

Not saying he's a lock just saying he's a guy with great physical tools and is in a good position to make the jump into that upper echelon.

my future me
04-28-2008, 11:23 AM
You really can't predict that Malcolm Jenkins is going to be the 1st overall at this point. He has alot to prove after his lackluster and forgetable play down the stretch this year. Talent wise . . . he could be #1, but if they were to draft the 2009 class right now he wouldn't be top 15.

bearsfan_51
04-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Forced to reach on Tim Tebow nothing. I would take Tebow over Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn, Alex Smith, Matt Ryan, or really anyone in the last few years except for Jamarcus and maybe Cutler. Tebow will be a top 10, most likely top 5 pick, and he'll deserve it.

bearsfan_51
04-28-2008, 11:26 AM
You really can't predict that Malcolm Jenkins is going to be the 1st overall at this point. He has alot to prove after his lackluster and forgetable play down the stretch this year. Talent wise . . . he could be #1, but if they were to draft the 2009 class right now he wouldn't be top 15.
Dude yes he would. Obviously this is a ton of speculation, but Jenkins would have been a top 15 pick as a junior this year, which means he, like Oher, are at the top of the list for next year.

A lot can change, but right now, yeah he's definately a top 15 pick.

TheGreatEscape
04-28-2008, 12:24 PM
I don't think Jenkins warrants taking a corner top 5 unless this corner class is worse than I expect.

SenorGato
04-28-2008, 12:39 PM
I bet it's Oher.

Crickett
04-28-2008, 12:39 PM
I agree badgerbacker. Theres no way Juice is even considered a top 5 talent in next years draft, or even a first rounder for that matter. He has A LOT to work on as a QB.

I think Tebows gonna be one of those guys whos stock will drop before next years draft. Every ones gonna pick him apart before the draft and his stock will drop some because he does run a QB friendly offense at Florida. I think at best he'll be a mid-late first rounder. But that also depends on some of the team needs in that area as well.

After what just happened to Andre Woodson and Colt Brennan, you could very well be right.

Here is what I'll say.

This time last year, who here considered Matt Ryan a top three pick?
How about Alex Smith after the '04 draft?
After the '03 draft, how many knew Ben Roethlisberger? Or even how to spell Ben Roethlisberger? I'm guessing anyone who even heard his name spelled it Ben Roethshamalamadingdong.
How about Jay Cutler one full year before he was drafted?
Remember when we all though the top QB for this years draft would be Brian Brohm?

Who will be the #1 pick next year? Someone we're not even considering.

sweetness34
04-28-2008, 12:42 PM
I don't think Jenkins warrants taking a corner top 5 unless this corner class is worse than I expect.

Vontae Davis is coming out next year so it'll be very strong at the top.

Jenkins and Davis are the two best CB's in College Football right now on paper. If Vontae can wake up and realize how good he can be, he'll go top 10 next season. He tends to coast because he's so good, doesn't try hard all the time in practice. But when the lights go on he's always on his game.

Vontae is a physical corner with very good ball skills that possesses 4.3 speed, and he will come up and support the run. Big time hitter and stupid athletic. He'll be an elite player in next years class.

d34ng3l021
04-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Vontae is a pretty sick name.

My money is on Oher or Wells. Oher is a great LT prospect, and Wells is just ridiculous.

I dont think Tebow goes that high unless he makes some drastic improvements to his throwing motion. Also the fact that he is from an Urban offense would scare some teams. I personally wouldnt get him in the 1st. Maybe in the 2nd and have him sit for a year.

Brent
04-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Tim Tebow. Odds are, whoever picks #1 next year is going to have QB issues.

Probably us, since Alex Smith is inevitably going to fail. I don't want that to happen but I'm not a very optimistic person.

SenorGato
04-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Tim Tebow has alot to smooth out before I consider him a 1st round QB.

Bad mechanics and Florida QB should scare enough people as it is I thought...

He could prove me wrong though...

CC.SD
04-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Tim Tebow. Odds are, whoever picks #1 next year is going to have QB issues.

Probably us, since Alex Smith is inevitably going to fail. I don't want that to happen but I'm not a very optimistic person.

It won't be the 9ers. Smith might get benched though.

04-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Initial thought is Oher although I wanna give a mention for Maualuga as a top 5 lock.

Number 10
04-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Phil Loadholt or Malcolm Jenkins

Number 10
04-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Brian Cushing has an outside shot, he would have been a 1st rounder this year despite he was so banged up last fall.

If he can stay healthy.....keep an eye on him.

princefielder28
04-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Initial thought is Oher although I wanna give a mention for Maualuga as a top 5 lock.

Maualuga is a beast and I consider him a better prospect than James Laurinaitis

CC.SD
04-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Maualuga is a beast and I consider him a better prospect than James Laurinaitis

I do too. Little Animal will not go top 5 though. His frame just isn't top 5 caliber. Probably not top 10 either. I still think he's a great prospect, but I'm not a huge fan on him in the middle. I could see him dominating at WLB.

Babylon
04-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Brian Cushing has an outside shot, he would have been a 1st rounder this year despite he was so banged up last fall.

If he can stay healthy.....keep an eye on him.

Cushing, Mauluuga, Brandon Spikes, Lauranitis.....already like this crop better than 08. Sean Lee could get in there depending on length of his rehab.

aheineken
04-28-2008, 02:06 PM
My top two players for next year's draft, as of right now, are both OTs. Andre Smith and Michael Oher. Max Unger and Eugene Monroe are also going to be high picks. Next year's OT class could rival this year's.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-28-2008, 02:25 PM
My top 5 for the 2009 Draft

1. Andre Smith, OT, Alabama (Jr.)
2. Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss (Sr.)
3. Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State (jr.)
4. Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU (Sr.)
5. Rey Maualuga, LB, USC (Sr.)

Turtlepower
04-28-2008, 02:29 PM
My top 5 for the 2009 Draft

1. Andre Smith, OT, Alabama (Jr.)
2. Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss (Sr.)
3. Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State (jr.)
4. Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU (Sr.)
5. Rey Maualuga, LB, USC (Sr.)

Michael Oher and Max Unger > Andre Smith

TheIncredibleDraftDude
04-28-2008, 02:38 PM

:rolleyes: lol!!! Heyward-BEY?????

but anyways.. Juice Williams will go #1 to the 49ers

sweetness34
04-28-2008, 02:58 PM
but anyways.. Juice Williams will go #1 to the 49ers

Please tell me this is a joke....I mean seriously, please tell me this is a joke.

I'm an Illini fan and I'm asking this. Juice has some very nice tools to work with. He's got a great arm, he's very strong, has pretty good pocket presense, and is very mobile. Plus he's a leader and is a hard worker/film rat.

He wouldn't even get drafted next year. I think Juice has a future in the NFL, but not until he finishes his senior year and even then he's a middle-late round pick because of his size, his accuracy issues, and the fact he needs some work. Ala an Andre Woodson this season.

bearsfan_51
04-28-2008, 03:15 PM
After what just happened to Andre Woodson and Colt Brennan, you could very well be right.

Here is what I'll say.

This time last year, who here considered Matt Ryan a top three pick?
How about Alex Smith after the '04 draft?
After the '03 draft, how many knew Ben Roethlisberger? Or even how to spell Ben Roethlisberger? I'm guessing anyone who even heard his name spelled it Ben Roethshamalamadingdong.
How about Jay Cutler one full year before he was drafted?
Remember when we all though the top QB for this years draft would be Brian Brohm?

Who will be the #1 pick next year? Someone we're not even considering.
Matt Ryan was a fringe 1st rounder at the start of the season.
Alex Smith was a bit more of a suprise.
Anyone that didn't know who Big Ben was, wasn't paying very much attention at all.
Jay Cutler, again, probably a 2nd round guy.

And only Smith was the #1 guy. Who would have thought Long, Long, McFadden, and Dorsey would be top 5 guys last year? Basically everyone. It's not that huge of a shock most of the time.

keylime_5
04-28-2008, 03:15 PM
I think the team with the top pick next year probably won't want a RB even if Beanie is the BPA like McFadden was this year. Who are the 'lucky' candidates? Kansas City, Atlanta, Oakland, San Francisco, Baltimore? Maybe if Chicago or Detroit has the #1 pick but I don't think they will. The 5 I mentioned could all use a stud tackle and not a runningback, so I say Oher is probably the favorite to go #1. Lots of good tackles between him and Loadholt, Boone, Unger, Monroe, and Andre Smith. I'll laugh if someone uses the #1 on Tim Tebow or Matt Stafford, I don't think either of those guys are gonna be good pros unless they really improve from last year (for Tebow in the pocket passer category, for Stafford in the consistency and accuracy category).

d34ng3l021
04-28-2008, 03:18 PM
I wouldnt mind Beanie Wells for the Falcons. :)

sweetness34
04-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Turner will do just fine in Atlanta. You need some DT help right now, and some secondary help wouldn't be bad either.

d34ng3l021
04-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Beanie Wells is the ****. Who cares about our other RBs.

MidwayMonster31
04-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Oher is a very good contender. It also depends on the underclassmen because there are some good ones. Guys like Beanie Wells, Tim Tebow, Sam Bradford (RS soph.), Michael Crabtree (RS soph.). I'm already looing forward to next year.

Don Vito
04-28-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm hoping its Mike Oher and I think it will be him.

DChess
04-28-2008, 04:13 PM
ive been on the malcolm jenkins train for a while, probably his biggest fan on this board. he just has amazing size+speed+hands to not take #1. i feel you take a bookend tackle, quarterback, pass rushing DE or a shutdown CB for the #1 pick. i like beanie wells and its better to take a bruiser rb early than a guy who just has speed because i feel if used right can have a longer career (although he is a little ***** and gets semi injured every game).

BigJohn98
04-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Tim Tebow is not leaving next year.

DChess
04-28-2008, 04:15 PM
I think the team with the top pick next year probably won't want a RB even if Beanie is the BPA like McFadden was this year. Who are the 'lucky' candidates? Kansas City, Atlanta, Oakland, San Francisco, Baltimore? Maybe if Chicago or Detroit has the #1 pick but I don't think they will. The 5 I mentioned could all use a stud tackle and not a runningback, so I say Oher is probably the favorite to go #1. Lots of good tackles between him and Loadholt, Boone, Unger, Monroe, and Andre Smith. I'll laugh if someone uses the #1 on Tim Tebow or Matt Stafford, I don't think either of those guys are gonna be good pros unless they really improve from last year (for Tebow in the pocket passer category, for Stafford in the consistency and accuracy category).

i think stafford has the right tools to be an NFL QB he just has to be coached up a lot. i think georgia will let him throw the ball more this year, so we can see what hes really about

BamaFalcon59
04-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Michael Oher and Andre Smith will be at the top. Al Woods, the defensive tackle from LSU, should be high as well if he comes out.

DChess
04-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Michael Oher and Andre Smith will be at the top. Al Woods, the defensive tackle from LSU, should be high as well if he comes out.

im a big fan of al woods should be a top 5 pick. also i like smith i just think he'll be a G in the nfl and you dont usually take guards that high.

thetedginnshow
04-28-2008, 04:37 PM
As awesome as Beanie is, Crabtree The Great deserves no less than #1.

BamaFalcon59
04-28-2008, 04:39 PM
im a big fan of al woods should be a top 5 pick. also i like smith i just think he'll be a G in the nfl and you dont usually take guards that high.

He is too athletic to be a guard, and he has lost 30 pounds this offseason by request of Nick Saban. He will be a tackle.

holt_bruce81
04-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Phil Loadholt.......He's an absolute monster.

If all the Receivers come out next year, Jeremy Maclin will be the 1st receiver taken. Expecially after he runs a 4.22 in the 40 yard dash and teams watch Crabtree on film and see that he doesnt go over the middle and when you hit him a few times he disappears.

eaglesfan_45
04-28-2008, 04:49 PM
As to who owns the top pick it will be the Panthers :D

DChess
04-28-2008, 04:51 PM
He is too athletic to be a guard, and he has lost 30 pounds this offseason by request of Nick Saban. He will be a tackle.

what athleticism.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84-MwAbj7uw&feature=related

jk

sweetness34
04-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Phil Loadholt.......He's an absolute monster.

If all the Receivers come out next year, Jeremy Maclin will be the 1st receiver taken. Expecially after he runs a 4.22 in the 40 yard dash and teams watch Crabtree on film and see that he doesnt go over the middle and when you hit him a few times he disappears.

Wait so you're telling me he could've added on to his record setting season this year if he was tougher? Man....

I'd say the guy didn't disappear with the season he had.

TheGreatEscape
04-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Terrance Taylor won't be a top pick but if he ends up a giant I'll be extatic.

Byrd430
04-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Michael Oher is a very good prospect, but he's from Mississippi. Just an inside joke for people from Mississippi...we suck! And for those people who throw Eli in my face, remember he was a Manning.

I like Malcolm Jenkins, I think he'll be a top 3 pick but don't think he'll go number one.

Why not James Laurinatis? I really think he'll be a top pick. Otherwise, I like Stafford, Andre Smith, Michael Crabtree, and a top-10 pick in Percy Harvin. Wells should be in consideration too, but he's been mentioned repeatedly in this thread.

DChess
04-28-2008, 04:56 PM
hers my top 5:

1. Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio St
2. Chris Wells, RB, Ohio St
3. Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
4. Taylor Mays, S, USC
5. Al Woods, DT, LSU

sweetness34
04-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Vontae Davis > Malcolm Jenkins

;)

holt_bruce81
04-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Wait so you're telling me he could've added on to his record setting season this year if he was tougher? Man....

I'd say the guy didn't disappear with the season he had.

Watch him against Missouri, they hit him often in the beginning and he disappeared the rest of the game. He had no really big plays and he dropped a lot.

BrownsTown
04-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Chris Wells will be the McFadden/Peterson of the draft...the RB many have rated as the highest but will fall due to lack of need.

sweetness34
04-28-2008, 05:09 PM
So in one game this happened? Crabtree set records my friend, and I can guarantee you he was played physically.

The guy's a stud.

Turtlepower
Watch him against Missouri, they hit him often in the beginning and he disappeared the rest of the game. He had no really big plays and he dropped a lot.

You're a homer if you believe that Maclin runs a 4.22 and that he will be the #1 WR. He's exciting, but he is not nearly as polished as many of the other WRs in NCAA.

holt_bruce81
So in one game this happened? Crabtree set records my friend, and I can guarantee you he was played physically.

The guy's a stud.

No doubt he's very good, but Maclins better.

DChess
04-28-2008, 05:12 PM

;)

i like vontae davis a lot, i was thinking about him in my top 5. defiantly top 10

thetedginnshow
04-28-2008, 05:14 PM
That is a bold faced lie. Crabtree went over the middle quite often, but their offense isn't predicated on dinks and dunks over the middle. Most of his plays were to stretch the field. Plain and simple, he's a playmaker. Maclin's one-dimensional and Crabtree, statistically, may have the two greatest seasons ever for a WR in collegiate football.

etk
04-28-2008, 05:16 PM

;)

I agree.

Anways, I say Michael Oher. I don't even think he's a top-20 prospect right now, but he's the kind of player scouts drool over, and we saw how important LTs are this year.

holt_bruce81
04-28-2008, 05:16 PM
You're a homer if you believe that Maclin runs a 4.22 and that he will be the #1 WR. He's exciting, but he is not nearly as polished as many of the other WRs in NCAA.

Well Gary Pinkel said he ran a 4.20 last year in spring practice and I thought he was exaggerating a little, but he also said Will Franklin ran a 4.35 last spring and sure enough at the combine he ran a 4.37.

holt_bruce81
04-28-2008, 05:17 PM
That is a bold faced lie. Crabtree went over the middle quite often, but their offense isn't predicated on dinks and dunks over the middle. Most of his plays were to stretch the field. Plain and simple, he's a playmaker. Maclin's one-dimensional and Crabtree, statistically, may have the two greatest seasons ever for a WR in collegiate football.

How is Maclin one-dimensional?

please explain.

Michigan
04-28-2008, 05:24 PM
I'll go with the 6'1 240 4.50 running back.

BrownsTown
04-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Michael Crabtree is an elite WR prospect in my opinion. Maclin is good, to be sure, but he seems like more of a Ted Ginn or Desean Jackson to me.

holt_bruce81
04-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Michael Crabtree is an elite WR prospect in my opinion. Maclin is good, to be sure, but he seems like more of a Ted Ginn or Desean Jackson to me.

he's 6'1 around 190

Has the speed and kick return ability of both those guys, and he can actually run routes.

BrownsTown
04-28-2008, 05:54 PM
he's 6'1 around 190

Has the speed and kick return ability of both those guys, and he can actually run routes.

He can run routes, not admirably better than the others. And an inch is helpful, but again, doesn't seperate him from that pack of speedy recievers that tends to go mid-late 1st.

Hines
04-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Atlanta- Michael Oher
Baltimore- Malcolm Jenkins
San Francisco- Michael Crabtree

These are the three teams I think that will battle for the number one spot or finish in the top 3.

Don Vito
04-28-2008, 06:06 PM
I remember the Harvin-Peter Warrick comparison, I really think Maclin and Warrick are nearly identical. Not saying that Maclin will do nothing in the NFL, but they both have similar size and skillsets.

RaiderNation
04-28-2008, 06:06 PM
With the first pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the San Francisco 49ers take Tim Tebow QB, Florida

WMD
04-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Baltimore would take Crabtree.. They need a #1 Receiver for Flacco to throw to.

Hines
04-28-2008, 06:10 PM
I disagree WMD, they have Clayton and D Williams with Heap and Quinn. They need depth and a good number 2, but I think Clayton can develop into a number one. They are old on defense and Rolle is never healthy anymore, I think they go CB. I am suprised they didnt go there early this year.

TheGreatEscape
04-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Atlanta- Michael Oher
Baltimore- Malcolm Jenkins
San Francisco- Michael Crabtree

These are the three teams I think that will battle for the number one spot or finish in the top 3.

I would be happy if Crabtree ended up in San fran cause without a star at WR the 49ers have just been pathetic. I don't doubt that they'll screw it up by winning a late meaningless game they should've lost though.

d34ng3l021
04-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Michael Oher sounds good, but that just makes our trade up for Sam Baker lame. We will have to see how Baker does.

I think we might go WR in the first next year. Give Ryan more and more weapons. DT is the obvious need though.

RaiderNation
04-28-2008, 06:20 PM
I hope we can get a elite WR,DE or LT next year

Hines
04-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Michael Oher sounds good, but that just makes our trade up for Sam Baker lame. We will have to see how Baker does.

I think we might go WR in the first next year. Give Ryan more and more weapons. DT is the obvious need though.

I think Sam Baker is more suited to play RT then LT. Just my opinion though. I think his short arms are going to kill him.

BamaFalcon59
04-28-2008, 06:26 PM
I think Sam Baker is more suited to play RT then LT. Just my opinion though. I think his short arms are going to kill him.

He is more of a left tackle, considering his footwork and pass protection skills paired with average run blocking ability. If he changes positions it will be to guard.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Keep this in mind. 21 of the last 29 drafts (or, since 1980) have seen the top pick be either a lineman or a quarterback, including the last 12 draft in a row. That narrows down the focus considerably.

ATLDirtyBirds
04-28-2008, 07:46 PM

Give me Michael Crabtree. I've started the support to get that man in Atlanta. He is exactly what we need.

d34ng3l021
04-28-2008, 07:59 PM
I need to watch him play to see if his numbers are for real.

tjsunstein
04-28-2008, 08:09 PM
This all depends on who is picking with the 1st overall. There are a couple guys i like to be top ten though.

Michael Johnson, DE/OLB, Georgia Tech
Duke Robinson, G, Oklahoma - Has anyone mentioned him yet?
Myron Rolle, SS, Florida State
Taylor Mays, SS, USC

Staubach12
04-28-2008, 08:12 PM
I wouldn't put Chris Wells up there. Big play ability? He breaks one here or there, but the guy is frequently caught from behind, and I really think teams want a game-breaker when they draft in the top 5.

Staubach12
04-28-2008, 08:14 PM
This all depends on who is picking with the 1st overall. There are a couple guys i like to be top ten though.

Taylor Mays, SS, USC

First of al, your sig is massive. Take that down.

Also, a guard for #1?! Hah!

d34ng3l021
04-28-2008, 08:15 PM
How dare you talk smack about Chris Wells. Big play ability doesnt necessarily mean long TD run everytime. With his vision, size and speed, he could break 20 yard runs all the time, and that is also big play ability (IMO).

He reminds me kind of like Frank Gore I would say. More shiftier, avoids more contact. No breakaway to finish the 20 yard run into a 60 yard TD run. But thats not saying that he wont, because he has the speed to break the long one.

BPhilb
04-28-2008, 08:17 PM
I really can't see a team giving Oher 30 million guarenteed. His physical talent is undeniable but there is no sure thing that he will be able to translate an NFL playbook. I really am not sure that he will even be top 5 and his play last year wasn't that great considering his physical gifts. He's pretty overrated right now in my opinion though his physical gifts could turn that around this year.

I'm going to go DL for my choice though and say Tyson Jackson will be number 1.

BrownsTown
04-28-2008, 08:18 PM
I wouldn't put Chris Wells up there. Big play ability? He breaks one here or there, but the guy is frequently caught from behind, and I really think teams want a game-breaker when they draft in the top 5.

You're joking right? You must be joking.

d34ng3l021
04-28-2008, 08:22 PM
You're joking right? You must be joking.

I have to agree with him that it is one of his flaws. He doesnt have that many, and each one of his flaws are really small, but he doesnt have the breakaway speed that Bush, Peterson, and McFadden had.

Staubach12
04-28-2008, 08:24 PM
I love Chris Wells as much as anyone here, but you have to look at history and teams drafting high typically want a RB with breakaway ability.

BamaFalcon59
04-28-2008, 08:25 PM
I like Crabtree and Darius Heyward Bey, but we the Falcons look to be three deep at least at wide receiver for the next five years at least with Roddy White, Laurent Robinson, and Harry Douglas.

DChess
04-28-2008, 08:26 PM
lsu couldnt catch him, and they're zoooo fast!!!!

BrownsTown
04-28-2008, 08:30 PM
I love Chris Wells as much as anyone here, but you have to look at history and teams drafting high typically want a RB with breakaway ability.

How bout not just recent year. A few years back, Ronnie Brown and Cedric Benson both went fairly high without being breakaway speed back. What did LT run coming out of college? In the 4.5s? Shaun Alexander won the MVP a few years ago without top end speed. Teams will draft the best player, not the fastest player. Wells runs around a 4.4-4.5 so it's not like he has BAD speed.

Hines
04-28-2008, 08:32 PM
This is just my opinion, but I have Wells rated a little lower then AD, but a little higher then D Mac.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-28-2008, 08:37 PM
How bout not just recent year. A few years back, Ronnie Brown and Cedric Benson both went fairly high without being breakaway speed back. What did LT run coming out of college? In the 4.5s? Shaun Alexander won the MVP a few years ago without top end speed. Teams will draft the best player, not the fastest player. Wells runs around a 4.4-4.5 so it's not like he has BAD speed.

Brown and Tomlinson both posted times in the low 4.4's.

BrownsTown
04-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Brown and Tomlinson both posted times in the low 4.4's.

Google says Tomlinson ran a 4.46, around what Wells is expected to run. I remember Brown ran very well, but he's more a physical back.

Larry121283
04-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Right now, I'd put my money in an offensive lineman, probably Michael Oher if we are guessing a year away from now.

Phil Loadholt has a lot to prove on the practice field in terms of work ethic, but he is a real interesting player for next years draft.

Eugene Monroe might be better than Branden Albert...

keylime_5
04-28-2008, 08:44 PM
Chris Wells is a big bruiser who can run outside with the best of them. In fact most of his best runs were when he went off tackle or on sweeps. Beanie is about as good of a homerun hitter at RB that you will ever find from a guy that big. He will run in the 4.4s or low 4.5s at 235+ lbs. One of his question marks is definitely not his homerun big play ability, b/c once he gets in the secondary he will either kill a DB by stiff arming them or daring them to try and tackle him. Did you watch the LSU and Michigan games, or any Ohio State game for that matter? His breakaway speed is a notch below AD's of course, but he has much more power and strength than any top back we've seen in a while. Oh how I wish the Browns had a shot at him. I'd say Detroit or Chicago are probably the favorites to get him should they pick in the top ten.

Unbiased
04-28-2008, 08:53 PM

To answer your question, here are some guys who have #1 overall potential at this point:

Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
Tim Tebow, QB, Florida
Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State
Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
Brian Cushing, OLB, USC

Hope this helps.

Unbiased
04-28-2008, 08:54 PM

Taylor Mays, SS, USC

Why Myron Rolle? He has been a bust in college.

BigJohn98
04-28-2008, 09:01 PM

Taylor Mays, SS, USC

Myron Rolle? HAHAHAH. He can't cover, and he takes horrible angles. He's lucky if he's a first round pick.

keylime_5
04-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah, Myron Rolle has been kinda dissapointing. Michael Johnson needs to get his weight up and improve against the run if he's gonna be a first rounder let alone a top 10 pick. Right now he's a strict 4-3 end who is too skinny and weak at the POA to succeed at the next level. 6-7 won't work in a 3-4 and his only top skill is as a pass rusher/penetrator from the DE spot. Lots of potential but not an elite prospect yet. Similar to Mathias Kiwanuka except I don't think he had as good a 2nd to last year.

Shane P. Hallam
04-28-2008, 09:07 PM
I posted a Mock Draft in the aptly named forum.

keylime_5
04-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Here's how I'd put the top 10 for 2009-

1-Chris Wells
2-Andre Smith
3-Michael Oher
4-Taylor Mays
5-James Laurinaitis
6-Rey Maualuga
7-Malcolm Jenkins
8-Mike Crabtree
9-Tyson Jackson
10-Percy Harvin

Unbiased
04-28-2008, 09:29 PM
An important part of guessing the top pick is to look at the history of the draft. In the past 10 years, the #1 picks have been 7 QBs, 2 DEs, and 1 OT. Also, with the money being invested into these players in today's game, I really can't see it being any position other than QB, DE, OT, or maybe a DT.

Nitschke-Hawk
04-28-2008, 09:34 PM
It's gonna be either Oher or somebody outside the current top 10 that shoots up the boards. I don't see a beast of an athlete that is the quality of a Jake Long, Mario Williams, Julius Peppers. Gotta be a beast athlete or the top QB in that year to go number 1 or 2 I think. So I think Michael Johnson from Ga Tech is a good candidate. Haven't seen him much but he's a monster.

I'm really not liking next year's draft outside of the LB's and Malcolm Jenkins. I remember last year getting excited seeing the names right away. That will probably change though.

Don Vito
04-28-2008, 09:38 PM
It's gonna be either Oher or somebody outside the current top 10 that shoots up the boards. I don't see a beast of an athlete that is the quality of a Jake Long, Mario Williams, Julius Peppers. Gotta be a beast athlete or the top QB in that year to go number 1 or 2 I think. So I think Michael Johnson from Ga Tech is a good candidate. Haven't seen him much but he's a monster.

I'm really not liking next year's draft outside of the LB's and Malcolm Jenkins. I remember last year getting excited seeing the names right away. That will probably change though.

Mike Oher is a very special athlete, he is definitely one of the most athletic OL prospects in recent memory. Taylor Mays, Beanie, and Maulaluga are all potential "freaks" too. I think Michael Johnson is a solid player and a great athlete, but I don't know if he is top 10 material as of now.

CC.SD
04-28-2008, 10:24 PM
Crabtree is underrated this kid is the complete package, he will go top 3.

holt_bruce81
04-28-2008, 10:28 PM
Crabtree is underrated this kid is the complete package, he will go top 3.

1st time I heard someone say Crabtree is underrated.

LonghornsLegend
04-28-2008, 10:28 PM
I hope he doesn't go that high, I wouldn't mind giving up a future 1st to move up enough for him at this point...We are surely going to need him.

CC.SD
04-28-2008, 11:41 PM
1st time I heard someone say Crabtree is underrated.

I think he is going to skyrocket as a prospect. Extremely Fast, excellent frame, amazing ball skills.

Flyboy
04-29-2008, 02:56 AM
It feels so weird hearing this about a TEXAS TECH prospect. I don't know what to say or how to feel.

Sniper
04-29-2008, 06:46 AM
Here's how I'd put the top 10 for 2009-

1-Chris Wells
2-Andre Smith
3-Michael Oher
4-Taylor Mays
5-James Laurinaitis
6-Rey Maualuga
7-Malcolm Jenkins
8-Mike Crabtree
9-Tyson Jackson
10-Percy Harvin

I have Maualuga as the best LB and Laurinaitis isn't the best defensive player on his own team.

etk
04-29-2008, 08:58 AM
I have Maualuga as the best LB and Laurinaitis isn't the best defensive player on his own team.

He isn't the best linebacker on his own team.

princefielder28
04-29-2008, 10:16 AM
He isn't the best linebacker on his own team.

Come on now, he is so. Marcus Freeman is a nice player, but he's a level below Laurinaitis

keylime_5
04-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Maualuga and Laurinaitis are both top ten picks in my book, and the great thing is that while they're the same position, both are very different players. Maualuga is more of a hard hitting physical sticker on the inside, JL is a rangy and athletic sideline to sideline playmaker. Maualuga would be perfect for a 3-4 team and JL for a cover 2 team. 1a and 1b at MLB.

Freeman I have going in my 2009 to Indianapolis late round 1. Match made in heaven there for their defense, he is probably the best coverage LB in the country and can play SLB or WLB.

Turtlepower
04-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Come on now, he is so. Marcus Freeman is a nice player, but he's a level below Laurinaitis

etk may have been talking about Cushing being better than Maualuga, which may certainly be true. Though, I really don't think that saying that Cushing is better than Maualuga has any correlation if he is better than Lauranitas.

VoteLynnSwan
04-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Maualuga and Laurinaitis are both top ten picks in my book, and the great thing is that while they're the same position, both are very different players. Maualuga is more of a hard hitting physical sticker on the inside, JL is a rangy and athletic sideline to sideline playmaker. Maualuga would be perfect for a 3-4 team and JL for a cover 2 team. 1a and 1b at MLB.

Freeman I have going in my 2009 to Indianapolis late round 1. Match made in heaven there for their defense, he is probably the best coverage LB in the country and can play SLB or WLB.

Maualuga is probably better sideline to sideline than Laurinaitis

princefielder28
04-29-2008, 10:30 AM
etk may have been talking about Cushing being better than Maualuga, which may certainly be true. Though, I really don't think that saying that Cushing is better than Maualuga has any correlation if he is better than Lauranitas.

I think you're right; I misunderstood which LB he was talking about

keylime_5
04-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Maualuga is probably better sideline to sideline than Laurinaitis

Eh, I don't know. It's hard to say JL is in a zone defense about 95% of the time and usually isn't required to do it as much as Rey. JL's lateral movement and closing speed is one of the biggest reasons he's considered a top 10 pick and possibly the top senior prospect of 2009.

Sniper
04-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Eh, I don't know. It's hard to say JL is in a zone defense about 95% of the time and usually isn't required to do it as much as Rey. JL's lateral movement and closing speed is one of the biggest reasons he's considered a top 10 pick and possibly the top senior prospect of 2009.

There is no finer sideline to sideline LB in the country than Rey Maualuga. His closing speed is absolutely ridiculous. http://youtube.com/watch?v=owXgLCbw5YU

CC.SD
04-29-2008, 12:13 PM
It feels so weird hearing this about a TEXAS TECH prospect. I don't know what to say or how to feel.

http://fannation.com/blogs/post/185277

Ugh, I may have to change my mind, Andrew Perloff agrees with me. Crabtree #2 overall to the Raiders.

keylime_5
04-29-2008, 01:07 PM
That video didn't really show it but yeah, Rey has great sideline range and like I said USC and OSU have very different defensive schemes. James is more athletic and could be a great cover 2 MLB. Rey is more physical and more of a hitter who doesn't get as many tackles, not quite as much of a ballhawk (not that he has to be playing with Rivers and Cushing during his career). I love how we are gonna see them on the same field this fall, the two best MLBs in the country's teams going head to head. Should be some good plays in the middle.

etk
04-29-2008, 01:09 PM
I think you're right; I misunderstood which LB he was talking about

No you didn't. Marcus Freeman is a better prospect and will be a better NFL LB. Mark it down.

asmitty45
04-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Beanie Wells hands down. Kid is already ridiculus and with another season under his belt should be even better.

If Beckman and Pryor can be effective people can't load the box on him either

Unbiased
04-29-2008, 01:32 PM
No you didn't. Marcus Freeman is a better prospect and will be a better NFL LB. Mark it down.

I'll mark it if you can convince me.

Please proceed.

DeathbyStat
04-29-2008, 02:14 PM
According to Mcshay it's Fili Moala

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=3372132&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft08%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist %3dmcshay_todd%26id%3d3372132

princefielder28
04-29-2008, 02:51 PM

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=3372132&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft08%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist %3dmcshay_todd%26id%3d3372132

I would hate to see the Pats add Cushing...Unger is a nice pick for GB

DeathbyStat
04-29-2008, 02:59 PM
I want Rey Maualuga for the steelers

Staubach12
04-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Chris Wells is a big bruiser who can run outside with the best of them. In fact most of his best runs were when he went off tackle or on sweeps. Beanie is about as good of a homerun hitter at RB that you will ever find from a guy that big. He will run in the 4.4s or low 4.5s at 235+ lbs. One of his question marks is definitely not his homerun big play ability, b/c once he gets in the secondary he will either kill a DB by stiff arming them or daring them to try and tackle him. Did you watch the LSU and Michigan games, or any Ohio State game for that matter? His breakaway speed is a notch below AD's of course, but he has much more power and strength than any top back we've seen in a while. Oh how I wish the Browns had a shot at him. I'd say Detroit or Chicago are probably the favorites to get him should they pick in the top ten.

His long runs were, for the most part, a product of bad angles and good calls.

tjsunstein
04-29-2008, 04:34 PM
First of al, your sig is massive. Take that down.

Also, a guard for #1?! Hah!

Read my original post, Top Ten. Somebody will go after him up there if its a need. Number one will belong to Oher or a quarterback.

Dam8610
04-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Does Tebow really project to the pro ranks? Also, what is this I hear about Curtis Painter being projected as a first rounder? Painter is extremely mediocre. He has a gun, but he can't put it where it needs to be sometimes.

DragonFireKai
04-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Does Tebow really project to the pro ranks? Also, what is this I hear about Curtis Painter being projected as a first rounder? Painter is extremely mediocre. He has a gun, but he can't put it where it needs to be sometimes.

Tebow's got a very similar skill set to Donovan McNabb, and McNabb's done well for himself.

d34ng3l021
04-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Maybe athletic ability. I wouldnt say skill set though. His speed may be similar to Donovan McNabb's but I would say that is about it. His throwing motion and playing style hurt him alot, prospect wise. He isnt going to get by in the NFL by trucking LBs and what not. Also his throwing motion takes forever to get the ball out of his hands. He can improve that this year, but if he doesnt, it will be a large hinderance. Also, he plays in an Urban offense, which I am sure some scouts will be wary of.

I think if he comes out this year (which he shouldnt) he will be most likely a 2nd - 3rd rounder, despite his college success. If he can stay still his senior year and show a better throwing motion and have more pocket presence, I can see him as a top pick.

A pro style QB that I really like is Matthew Stafford. He has a huge arm and has a good feel for the game. He needs to get more consistent too. I think he can come out next year though and take advantage of what may be a weak senior QB class.

Don Vito
04-29-2008, 08:16 PM

Ole Miss with two top 20 picks in Oher and Greg Hardy, I like it. Hardy is really a guy to look out for, like Oher if Ole Miss wins some games this year people will really see how good Hardy is. He is a 6-5 260 DE/LB who plays is so athletic that he caught 2 TDs at WR last year and was the basketball team's sixth man as a freshman. If he comes out early, watch out for him, he is a beast. He was a freshman All-American and was on numerous AA teams last year after leading the SEC in sacks as a sophmore. He is top ten material if he keeps putting up the numbers, his athleticism is off the charts. He is the guy I have been raving about and will continue to rave about, he is the real deal.

Nitschke-Hawk
04-29-2008, 08:24 PM
Mike Oher is a very special athlete, he is definitely one of the most athletic OL prospects in recent memory. Taylor Mays, Beanie, and Maulaluga are all potential "freaks" too. I think Michael Johnson is a solid player and a great athlete, but I don't know if he is top 10 material as of now.

I know Oher is. Thats why I said Oher, or another guy that really shoots up the boards because of athletic ability.

BlindSite
04-29-2008, 10:20 PM

You honestly think a player produced solely because people failed to tackle him, through no ability of the RB and officials couldn't find their flags?

Sniper
04-29-2008, 10:25 PM

No, they're a product of his amazingness, awesomeness and ridiculous greatness rolled into one. Chris Wells is the real deal. I'm still having nightmares of him rolling through the Michigan defense.

princefielder28
04-29-2008, 10:25 PM

Curtis Painter is a consistent QB that may not be highlight reel material but gets the job done. He had a 62.6 completion percentage this past season, but he did lose Keller and Bryant so we'll see how his numbers are this year. I have him as the #2 ranked senior QB behind Cullen Harper and slightly ahead of Chase Holbrook

LonghornsLegend
05-02-2008, 03:42 AM
Stafford could bump up to that spot, he could caplitalize on the senior QB class, and a team could take him there on potential if he shows he can be consistent this year and make good decisions...I'm not betting on a LB to go #1 overall, I'd put my money on LT or QB first...Stafford or Oher.

Dam8610
05-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Curtis Painter is a consistent QB that may not be highlight reel material but gets the job done. He had a 62.6 completion percentage this past season, but he did lose Keller and Bryant so we'll see how his numbers are this year. I have him as the #2 ranked senior QB behind Cullen Harper and slightly ahead of Chase Holbrook

I've watched his entire career, nothing has ever really stood out to me to make me think "this guy is going to do things at the next level". Painter has had an overabundance of talent to work with as well, especially in comparison to other Boilermaker QBs. Drew Brees had very little to work with, Kyle Orton got the job done with Taylor Stubblefield. Painter has had Selwyn Lymon (and I'm utterly baffled as to why this guy hasn't been used more, watch for him to have a breakout year), Dustin Keller, and Dorien Bryant to work with. Put Brees or Orton in that situation and they're competing for a Heisman. If Painter is ranked as a 1st round prospect by the end of the year, either he'll have dramatically improved or it will be a sad statement about the utter lack of talent at the QB position in the 2009 draft.

princefielder28
05-02-2008, 11:44 AM
I've watched his entire career, nothing has ever really stood out to me to make me think "this guy is going to do things at the next level". Painter has had an overabundance of talent to work with as well, especially in comparison to other Boilermaker QBs. Drew Brees had very little to work with, Kyle Orton got the job done with Taylor Stubblefield. Painter has had Selwyn Lymon (and I'm utterly baffled as to why this guy hasn't been used more, watch for him to have a breakout year), Dustin Keller, and Dorien Bryant to work with. Put Brees or Orton in that situation and they're competing for a Heisman. If Painter is ranked as a 1st round prospect by the end of the year, either he'll have dramatically improved or it will be a sad statement about the utter lack of talent at the QB position in the 2009 draft.

Painter has pretty good fundamentals, not the strongest arm in the world but he has very accuracy, goes through his progressions and breaks down the defense very well, and he has a good presence about him. This senior class of QBs is not very strong so giving him a higher rating compared to everyone else in the class is saying a little bit but not too much. This class is less talented than the last one and I think Painter is slightly better than John David Booty at this point in time.

I've just spent about an hour looking at tape on him and i've started to pinpoint some concerns...he's dropped to 5th for me at the moment, but it's so tight in the top 6 or 7

TheIncredibleDraftDude
05-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Taylor Mays:

@ 6'4 - 248 lbs - 40 yard: 4.23 the guy is a freak at safety. He will be shutdown.

If the Eagles, panthers or a team like that selects first I have no doubt. Dont rule out giving him some time doing trick plays at offence.

Staubach12
05-02-2008, 02:16 PM
No, they're a product of his amazingness, awesomeness and ridiculous greatness rolled into one. Chris Wells is the real deal. I'm still having nightmares of him rolling through the Michigan defense.

Chris Wells is an incredible player, but his speed is his flaw, and I'm not saying it's right, but teams won't like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lylP9aeFc7E&feature=related

He's caught from behind time after time on this highlight reel. I love the guy, but he won't go #1.

keylime_5
05-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Beanie has 4.45-4.5 speed and has more breakaway speed than any other back that big and strong I've ever seen. Truly a rare prospect with the stiff arm from hell and the ability to really knock any DB on his butt. All the times he gets "caught from behind" on video the guy is a DB who has an angle on him or he is busy trying to avoid traffic in the open field ahead of him and has to slow up. In other words you gotta be crazy to think the pros are gonna question his speed, at his size his speed is definitely above average. A much better version of Jamal Lewis coming out and even a better prospect for the pros than McFadden. Not quite as elite as Peterson, but not the injury red flags either. Could go #1 overall if a team like Detroit or Chicago picks #1, but RBs don't usually go #1 overall. Top 10 lock, more likely top 5.

BrownsTown
05-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Chris Wells is an incredible player, but his speed is his flaw, and I'm not saying it's right, but teams won't like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lylP9aeFc7E&feature=related

He's caught from behind time after time on this highlight reel. I love the guy, but he won't go #1.

Out of the times he was "caught from behind"

1st play: was slowing down to stiff arm someone

2nd play: was breaking away, guy made a desperation tackle and barely threw off his balance

and that was it. If anything that supports Beanie Wells's speed, just look how quickly he explodes out of the box when he sees open field.

Sniper
05-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Taylor Mays:

@ 6'4 - 248 lbs - 40 yard: 4.23 the guy is a freak at safety. He will be shutdown.

If the Eagles, panthers or a team like that selects first I have no doubt. Dont rule out giving him some time doing trick plays at offence.

LOL at the weight. Mays is 225-235, and I doubt that 4.23 is legit even though that's what SC coaches timed him at

Sniper
05-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Out of the times he was "caught from behind"

1st play: was slowing down to stiff arm someone

2nd play: was breaking away, guy made a desperation tackle and barely threw off his balance

and that was it. If anything that supports Beanie Wells's speed, just look how quickly he explodes out of the box when he sees open field.

Beanie Wells makes me want to go into a corner and hide....His first couple steps are just unreal especially for a man his size

d34ng3l021
05-02-2008, 04:30 PM
I am on the Matt Stafford number 1 overall bandwagon. I really like his game, but he needs to show consistency this year. Hopefully with better WRs, he will show his great skill set. He makes some great throws and is pretty mobile too. I really like him. Next years QB and OT class look really good.

Sniper
05-02-2008, 04:56 PM
I am on the Matt Stafford number 1 overall bandwagon. I really like his game, but he needs to show consistency this year. Hopefully with better WRs, he will show his great skill set. He makes some great throws and is pretty mobile too. I really like him. Next years QB and OT class look really good.

The OT class (assuming all declare) looks outstanding. Andre Smith, Ciron Black, Alex Boone, Michael Oher etc....