PDA

View Full Version : Switch to 3-4 in the cards?

trekindude
04-28-2008, 01:08 PM
http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6762

He can play inside or outside in a 4-3 or a 3-4," Guenther said of the base 4-3. "I think once we get acclimated, we're going to want to play some three-man line, and he's a guy with that great flexibility.

Talking about Rivers here, does this mean we could actually start playing 3-4 D? First time I've seen a coach on any level even hint that we might play it rather than say "it's a possibility".

hobbes2053
04-28-2008, 01:17 PM
i dont think we will run strictly the 3-4/ in fact i know we wont. we may, however, have a 3-4 package which would be awesome. the more packages we have available the more ways we can confuse the opposing offense and thus dominate. haha

trekindude
04-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Oh , I agree. We don't have the players to play 3-4 permanently, but a package just gives us that extra option and depending how we draft next year, we might move more in that direction and start playing the hybrid Marvin developed at Baltimore.

BengalMedic
04-28-2008, 01:24 PM
I think we will run the hybrid defense and have multiple 3-4 sets but remain a 4-3 base. If Shirley can work his crap out and develop, he's DEFINITELY nose tackle material with that size...

StripedWalrus
04-28-2008, 01:35 PM
I think we should really start playing the new super defense of the future....the 0-7 defense....thats right no front line and 7 linebackers...how does it work...I have no idea!!!!!!!!!

I think as long as Shirley can stay sober and not drive his car into apartments we have a legit chance of running a 3-4 sometimes.

BengalMedic
04-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Well with Shirley listed at 350lbs on some sites, we might be able to run a 1-6 at the minimum !!!

themaninblack
04-28-2008, 02:14 PM
I think this has been pretty evident without being formally stated. We'll definitely have some 34 looks once the D is comfortable in the new scheme. I think we have the versatility already regardless of the rookies but we definitely drafted a few who could ease that transition.

PalmerToCJ
04-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Definitely hopes of a hybrid.

OLB - Robert Geathers
ILB - Odell Thurman
ILB - Ahmad Brooks
OLB - Keith Rivers

DE - Thornton/Fanene
NT - Peko/Shirley
DE - Rucker/Odom

Thornton/Fanene are probably best suited for ends in terms of size. Rucker/Odom have potential at the spots.

trekindude
04-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Yeah. Here's how I see it:

Base 4-3

LE:Geathers
DT:Peko
DT:Thornton/Shirley
RE:Odom

SLB:Brooks
MLB:Rivers (I know, I know)
WLB:Thurman

3-4

LE:Thornton/Sims
NT:Peko/Shirley
RE:Odom/Rucker

LOLB:Geathers
ILB:Brooks
ILB:Thurman
ROLB:Rivers

themaninblack
04-28-2008, 02:45 PM
I'd rather see Brooks outside in a 34 than Rivers.

PalmerToCJ
04-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Wasn't sure where Rivers fit in the 3-4 so I can take swapping him and Ahmad for sure. I guess it'd make a lot more sense given Ahmad's pass rushing abilities.

StripedWalrus
04-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Well with Shirley listed at 350lbs on some sites, we might be able to run a 1-6 at the minimum !!!

Headline "Bengals just sign Mack Truck to play DT in the Bengals new 1-6 scheme. While some people may doubt his "motor" he definantly has great "drive". Truck weighs in at 4 tons and is expected to immediately make an impact on the defensive line.

BengalMedic
04-29-2008, 07:22 AM
Headline "Bengals just sign Mack Truck to play DT in the Bengals new 1-6 scheme. While some people may doubt his "motor" he definantly has great "drive". Truck weighs in at 4 tons and is expected to immediately make an impact on the defensive line.

Well, he's got to be better than Pepsi machine was !!!

Anyway, are you guys forgetting Sims in the defensive lineup ?? I just think he's going to get the initial nod when it comes to playing time and if Shirley gets all his issues taken care of, his will come. As for Rivers, he would definitely be a better fit on the inside in either a 4-3 or a 3-4.