PDA

View Full Version : Which Rookie QB Will Have the Biggest Impact in '08?

thebow305
04-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Which Rookie Quarterback does everyone feel will have the Biggest Impact for their respective team in 2008?

Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons
Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens
Brian Brohm, Green Bay Packers
Chad Henne, Miami Dolphins

Any others? What do you guys think?

princefielder28
04-28-2008, 03:44 PM
I hate to see that I see Aaron Rodgers getting hurt, but he has a track record of getting beat up and needing to sit. With that in mind I think Brohm will be able to step in and keep this team upright. Brohm has the chance, if given the opportunity, to make the biggest impact given the talent around him but if Aaron stays healthy then I'll go with Henne

kiranadwaney
04-28-2008, 03:49 PM
It will be Ryan. He will see the field early on. Flacco can sit for a year behind Boller and Brohm will only be a back up. I can also see Henne starting next year but does not have the skills of Ryan. Also Ryan has more recivers to work with.

CC.SD
04-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Henne behind a good O-line with a good running game.

BaLLiN
04-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Im kindof thinking John David Booty may make the biggest impacet...

I like Jackson, but i really dont see it just yet. Gus F. is alright but ehh id rather not put him in at all. Booty may get a chance, and i dont think he'll screw up but more like manage the game.

Joeyjr09
04-28-2008, 04:02 PM
It will be Ryan. He will see the field early on. Flacco can sit for a year behind Boller and Brohm will only be a back up. I can also see Henne starting next year but does not have the skills of Ryan. Also Ryan has more recivers to work with.

Matt Ryan might have WRs but he is going to get absolutely murdered behind his OL. He's gonna have a tough year. I don't see him having much early success. Baker was a reach but at least he can acutally block and Blalock is pretty solid but the rest of the line is extremely lackluster and will struggle. Tough to have a running game and time to get the ball to Roddy White behind that line.

Chad Henne I think is in the best position to succeed as they have a solid running game with Ronnie, Ricky and now Parmele. They have one of the leagues better young OLs now with Jake Long, Vernon Carey, Samson Satele and Justin Smiley, plus some depth from the draft. And they have some talent at WR with Wilford and Ginn. Henne definately has some of the best pieces to work with his rookie year. With that said, I think he's gonna sit most of it. I think they'll play Beck, let him get some value and then try to dela him for a pick in next year's draft, then McCown will take over and allow Henne to learn for a year while all the young players on offense mature. It looks to have the makings of a real solid offensive situation in Miami for the future.

Joe Flacco I think is in for a shock. They are gonan throw him to the wolves and as much as I like the guy, he is gonna sink. He needs to sit for a year. They have a solid set of WRs and a solid RB but Ogden is retiring so we'll have to see if Gaither or Terry can fill in full time, I'm not sold on either one yet. And let's not forget, Flacco is no where near as polished and NFL ready as Ryan, Henne or Brohm.

Brohm likely won't see the field unless there's an injury so it's hard to pick him. He's gonna be a backup for a long time if everything goes right.

With all that said, Matt Ryan will have the biggest impact in 2008 by default as I expect all the QBs to struggle. However, If Flacco can survive this season intact, I think he and Henne have the best situations and pieces to thrive in the future.

DChess
04-28-2008, 04:18 PM
this basically comes down to who plays more, and i think thats going to be ryan, but the ravens have a bunch of young guys on that roster so maybe flacco will start sooner than we think

ATLDirtyBirds
04-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Matt Ryan might have WRs but he is going to get absolutely murdered behind his OL. He's gonna have a tough year. I don't see him having much early success. Baker was a reach but at least he can acutally block and Blalock is pretty solid but the rest of the line is extremely lackluster and will struggle. Tough to have a running game and time to get the ball to Roddy White behind that line.

Actually, our OL is decent. We lacked a LT last year which killed us, but the main problem was injuries. I'm not saying that these guys are amazing or anything, but with LT now filled, it's not THAT bad.

hugegmenfan
04-28-2008, 04:26 PM
I truly believe the Joe Flacco era in Baltimore will begin a lot sooner than most people think. Kyle Boller is just plain awful- and starting him is basically saying the season will be a wash. Flacco would have a good line, a good back and decent WRS along with a good TE in Heap and could make an impact early on. Granted, he is somewhat raw, but i could see him starting any where from 4-6 games into the season

JagHombre22
04-28-2008, 04:30 PM
it's hard to go against the picking for Matt Ryan....he'll likely sit for three or four games to completely get the playbook digested but I can see him throwing for 15 td's next season....plus, he's expected to be the guy in ATL.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Matt Ryan will have the biggest impact this year. Now whether or not his impact is a positive or a negative for the Falcons is the bigger question.

StripedWalrus
04-28-2008, 04:47 PM
I voted Flacco...he will have the biggest impact. Sadly for the Ravens, it will be the biggest negative impact. I see Flacco straight up Bombing. We have all seen what happens to QB's that get thrust into situations were teams need a QB so bad that they end up putting an inexperienced one in. Its a very rare situation that a young QB can step up and immediately make a positive impact on a team that desperately needs QB talent and an offensive leader. The Ravens have great defensive leaders but they lack offensive leaders. There is no one there that can teach him anything. Im not saying that the Falcons and Dolphins have Offensive leadership, I am saying that the Ravens have worse offensive leadership than those other two squads. If Flacco was going into a program where he could sit back for 2 years and watch and learn from a solid QB, then Flacco would be a top product. Sadly for Flacco he gets Boller (another guy who needed to sit back) and Smith (another guy who could use a few years to soak) Two inexperienced QB's does not create a good situation for the Flacco. Plus he gets the wonderful locker room leadership off Willis McGahee... ... ... ... ... ... ...

Aaron Rodgers has a great opportunity in Green Bay. He has studied under Favre for a long time and he is getting placed into an offense that has weapons. No QB could ask for more. Brian Brohm will have little to no impact in his rookie season. Unless of course Rodgers goes down. If he does I think Brohm has the greatest chance to have the most positive impact amongst Rookies. I dont think any other rookie would have the weapons that he would have.

Chad Henne potentially has a great opportunity in Miami. Parcells will protect him with offensive lineman and he will eventually get him weapons. Parcells will do the right things that the Dolphins need. Chad Henne may or may not play as a rookie. But one thing for sure. The Dolphins did the right thing and didnt start rebuilding their team by drafting explosive talent. They are rebuilding the right way and will be back in the hunt in a few years. By that time Henne will have the opportunity to be a good QB....Im not saying excellent, but I am saying good.

Matt Ryan is being payed 3rd pick money so he is going to have some heavy pressure on him. The Falcons did some good things by getting Turner for him and by getting Sam Baker to help protect him in the draft. I have a feeling though that the offense will be playing from behind alot. Thats going to put Ryan in the situation of throwing alot. It will make his yardage stats go up...but his Interception stats will go up to. Impact? I don't see it as a negative impact. At least it can't be any more negative than it already is at QB for the Falcons.

The other QB's drafted are backups. The only one that will even have a chance at playing this year is Booty. Thats only if Jackson goes down.

sweetness34
04-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Matt Ryan will have the biggest impact this year. Now whether or not his impact is a positive or a negative for the Falcons is the bigger question.

Took the words right out of my mouth. He'll have an impact, don't know if it'll be good or bad though. I don't think there's any doubt he'll be the starter come Week 1.

GB12
04-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Have to go with Ryan, he's the only one guarenteed to start.

Michigan
04-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Matt Ryan is the only right answer, although it's more because the other QB's won't see the field that much.

Yatta!
04-28-2008, 05:26 PM
Matt Ryan is most likely to start so therefore he's likely to have the biggest impact. I'd expect at least three of the four to start a some point during the season for one reason or another.

DragonFireKai
04-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Well, Brohm's the best QB out of those 4, but he's not likely to start over Aaron Rodgers quite yet, and unless another team trades for him, he's not going to make a great impact.

Henne is the next best QB out of those, but the Dolphins are in shambles, he's going to be an improvement over Beck, and will likely start pretty quickly. Down the road, I don't see him becoming anything special, but he'll be a solid starter. But in terms of 08? It's going to be a rough road for him.

Ryan will most likely start immediately, but ironically, the QB he's going to be replacing, Joey Harrington, is the QB he reminds me most of. He'll be exposed, and eventually become a decent backup.

That leaves Flacco. Who, like Henne, I don't think will develop into a great QB, but he'll be servicable, and he has a chance to start immediately, unlike Brohm. And he's not going to an unspeakably lousy team like Henne. So, while I think Brohm will be the best QB, Flacco has the best combination of talent and opportunity to make a positive impact in 2008.

GermanSaint
04-28-2008, 06:02 PM
no one (zehn buchstaben)

RaiderNation
04-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Joe Flacco start off the bat

MetSox17
04-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Jordyz. Once he gets a solid hold of the spread, he'll be out-throwing Peyton Manning in no time!

Okay, all seriousness aside, I think it'll be Flacco.
He's the one that has scrubs ahead of him. The Fins at least have John Beck who has been with the team for a year and at least can grasp the offense a little faster i'm guessing. All Flacco has to do is beat out Kyle Boller, which shouldn't be too hard to do. He'll have a nice running game with decent targets, and a solid D to back him up. I don't see Brohm getting too much playing time, and Matt Ryan will probably be on his back most of the time in Atlanta.

Geo
04-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Interesting question.

Sure we think Ryan is most likely the QB draft pick to get the most playing time ... but impact? That's a little different question.

For example, say Brian Brohm plays two or three games for the Packers are the end of season and helps them get to the playoffs. That's a pretty big impact, in that scenario.

In fact, I'll probably go with Brohm myself. The other guys aren't on teams as good as the Packers, so the potential for impact isn't there as much as it is for Brohm - who shouldn't have fallen as low as he did. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if he eventually beats out Aaron Rodgers for the job, the Packers have two very talented young guys to compete for the job.

All we need is for the Lions to draft a young QB next year so that every team in the NFC North has two young guys battle for the starting QB spot, along with Rodgers/Brohm, Grossman/Orton, and Jackson/Booty. I guess you could count Orlovsky, lol ...

Bucs_Rule
04-28-2008, 06:55 PM
I don't think anyone of them will make much of an impact. By impact I mean cause the team to a win couple more games than the current starter. Boller/Redman aren't very good, but rookie QBs struggle alot and none of the QBs are great prospects to begin with.

cordscords
04-28-2008, 06:57 PM
If Brohm sees the field he will have the biggest impact, but the plan for him is to back up for now.

For the QB's who are expected to see the field- Henne.

Michigan
04-28-2008, 07:06 PM
All we need is for the Lions to draft a young QB next year so that every team in the NFC North has two young guys battle for the starting QB spot, along with Rodgers/Brohm, Grossman/Orton, and Jackson/Booty. I guess you could count Orlovsky, lol ...

Don't forget Drew Stanton (as much as I'd like to forget him).

Thunder&Lightning
04-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Matt Ryan. He is not only the most physically gifted QB but is also the only QB who will be a for sure starter at the start of the 08 season.

bantx
04-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Aaron Rogers lost his starting position when they announced Brian Brohm's name

CARDIAC CAT 7
04-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Its gotta be JD Booty, ran a very similar scheme in college and Minnesota doesn't need a star at quarterback they just need someone to manage the game. I would say Booty rivals anyone in this class when it comes to game management. Great fit, he should be starting by Week 6 of the season.

BamaFalcon59
04-28-2008, 08:27 PM
I think Flacco starts earlier on than Matt Ryan, but that is my opinion. Ryan could start early on, but we are going to be safe by all indications.