PDA

View Full Version : Carolina had a very good draft!

bigbuc
04-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Being a Bucs fan i have to look at how NFC South teams pick.

I like there draft... Stewart at 13 was a great pick, i'm not very high on Williams and moving back up into the first round makes sense to get Jeff Otah... They had a bad year when do you think thats going to happen again? Jake Delhomme is back, also when do you think Julius Peppers will have 2.5 sacks for a year... maybe never again!!!

Also Dan Connor and Charles Godfrey...WOW!!!!

JagHombre22
04-28-2008, 05:26 PM
giving up next season's 1st was rough but other than that, I agree....

vidae
04-28-2008, 05:28 PM
It's definitely a "win now" draft but it was a very good one.

The NFC South is weird. The teams fluctuate a lot as to who is on the top. I think the Panthers will be on top again with a healthy Delhomme in the lineup.

ThePudge
04-28-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm going to just flat-out disagree with you. They had a nice draft, but it has fatal flaws. They clearly are a need team in the first, then a Best Player Available from that point on. That's fine if you're winning, but consistently passing up players at need positions for luxury picks is just wrong.

Their biggest needs coming into draft day: 1. OT 2. DE 3. RB 4. QB 5. S 6. DT 7. TE

Of course, they filled two needs in the first with Stewart and Otah, which is great, each will play a big part this year. Dan Connor and Charles Godfrey were luxury picks early. Talent is there at LB and CB. Dan Connor likely will not battle Landon Johnson for the starting WLB job or Jon Beason for the MLB position. Godfrey joins an already strong crop of corners. With Reggie Smith, DaJuan Morgan available at Safety, Marcus Harrison and Pat Sims available at DT, Jeremy Thompson, Chris Ellis, and even Kenny Iwebema available it's tough to say they shouldn't have picked a DE either to fill the void left by the retired Mike Rucker.

Gary Barnidge is where their draft picks back up again, he's a very intruiging prospect who should see the field despite the team's system and Dante Rosario coming on at the end of the season last year. Hayden isn't starter material at DT, though he was a good find in the 6th. Hilee Taylor is a very interesting pick in the 7th, a good one. Geoff Schwartz could turn into a nice backup option at RT.

Overall I'd give them a B. They got great value with their picks, but still have almost as many holes as they entered the draft with.

SchizophrenicBatman
04-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Godfrey is going to compete at CB just like Tanard Jackson is competing with Ronde Barber

diabsoule
04-28-2008, 06:21 PM
I don't understand the Dan Conner pick. Given he was probably BPA but he has no where to play on that defense. All of their LB's are young and talented. The same thing about Charles Godfrey unless they see him being a FS.

bigbuc
04-28-2008, 07:17 PM
How can to be upset with the draft when they filled 3 or 4 needs!!!

The make or break in this is Jeff Otah if he comes in with some nasty run blocking, he'll be worth everything they gave up to get him!!!

OT- check
RB-check
S-check (Godfrey)

Btw I think that Stewart can be a 1500 yard back... hes what you want your running back to look like!!!!!

Staubach12
04-28-2008, 08:03 PM
GREAT SUCCESS!!!

http://www.expedition360.com/journal/borat.jpg

ShutDwn
04-29-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm going to just flat-out disagree with you. They had a nice draft, but it has fatal flaws. They clearly are a need team in the first, then a Best Player Available from that point on. That's fine if you're winning, but consistently passing up players at need positions for luxury picks is just wrong.

Their biggest needs coming into draft day: 1. OT 2. DE 3. RB 4. QB 5. S 6. DT 7. TE

Of course, they filled two needs in the first with Stewart and Otah, which is great, each will play a big part this year. Dan Connor and Charles Godfrey were luxury picks early. Talent is there at LB and CB. Dan Connor likely will not battle Landon Johnson for the starting WLB job or Jon Beason for the MLB position. Godfrey joins an already strong crop of corners. With Reggie Smith, DaJuan Morgan available at Safety, Marcus Harrison and Pat Sims available at DT, Jeremy Thompson, Chris Ellis, and even Kenny Iwebema available it's tough to say they shouldn't have picked a DE either to fill the void left by the retired Mike Rucker.

Gary Barnidge is where their draft picks back up again, he's a very intruiging prospect who should see the field despite the team's system and Dante Rosario coming on at the end of the season last year. Hayden isn't starter material at DT, though he was a good find in the 6th. Hilee Taylor is a very interesting pick in the 7th, a good one. Geoff Schwartz could turn into a nice backup option at RT.

Overall I'd give them a B. They got great value with their picks, but still have almost as many holes as they entered the draft with.

Godfrey will be a safety, so picking him makes sense. The Connor pick will force Anderson or Seward out. The Panthers have addressed every position that has been marked as a need so far this offseason. Matt Moore gave the team tons of confidence last year and they didn't feel the need to bring in anyone else. I don't really care how you rate their draft, because the carolina Panther offseason has been stellar.

energizerbunny
04-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Hard to give up that future 1st rounder, could potentially be another 49ers/Patriots situation but if they challenge for a playoff spot it will look like a very good move.

Otah has as much potential as any offensive lineman who has come through the draft in the last couple of years.

They grabbed some great 2nd day value

keylime_5
04-29-2008, 09:25 PM
I like the Otah, Connor, and Godfrey picks. Godfrey might start at FS as a rookie over Holt possibly, who knows anything can happen in the NFL with injuries and what not. Stewart was on okay pick, he got hurt a lot in college and is somewhat soft for a 233 lb. guy like him. Reminds me of Ronnie Brown s a lot. I think he'll have a similar career to Ronnie - great when he's on the field but injured probably every couple years. I would've taken Mendenhall but it's not a bad pick to like Stewart and his superior upside.

MURPHMAN
04-29-2008, 09:32 PM
Coach Fox has already said that Godfrey will compete for a starting role at free safety, a position he is familar with.

Plus they addressed DT not only with the 6th round pick but they signed free agents Darwin Walker Monday and Ian Scott today so they now have 5 DT's worthy of roster space.

Fox and Hurney also stated that they are comfortable that Peppers will return to his old form next season and that the rotation of Charles Johnson, T. Brayton and Stanley McClover at the other end is more than sufficient.