PDA

View Full Version : Michael Oher Compared to Jake Long

Thunder&Lightning
04-28-2008, 08:15 PM
I know it is very early to start talking about the 09 draft but im just curious to see how Oher Compares to long...

Paranoidmoonduck
04-28-2008, 08:17 PM
In my opinion, had Oher come out this year, he would have been part of the second tier of offensive linemen who went in the teens. I think some people have overstated his potential a little bit. If he comes out at has the sort of senior campaign that Jake Long had last year, then we can start talking.

bored of education
04-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Oher could be a mix of Jake Long's run blocking and Clady's footwork. I think Oher could be a better prospect than Long but its more likely he will be in between Long and Clady, favorings Long's end.

DChess
04-28-2008, 08:19 PM
oher has better pass protection than long but long has better run blocking ability. i think the difference between the two is less far apart for oher than it is long.

thetedginnshow
04-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Oher has an infinitely greater amount of potential, but he isn't nearly as polished.

bored of education
04-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Yeah, some will say Long has peaked or is much more polished than Oher.

Or Moyal
04-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Oher could be Jason Peters. He could also be a complete bust. The thing to keep in mind there is that he's supposedly a very fragile person emotionally. If you handle him with care, he could be a franchise cornerstone. Just keep in mind that he could blow up in your hands.
Right now, I don't buy into the top-5 type. He's simply not polished enough to take on the Wares, Allens, and Kerneys of the world. Let's see what Nutt does with him.

keylime_5
04-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Should be a top 10 pick b/c of his potential. Andre Smith might challenge him for the top tackle spot if he can shed some weight and show his potential in his junior season. Same goes for Loadholt if he can improve over his lousy bowl performance.

eaglesfan_45
04-28-2008, 08:54 PM
I think Oher will fall because his stock is peaking at the wrong time, just like Quinn, Brohm, Sam Baker and Kenny Phillips. The draft is all about timing ask OJ Mayo or Branden Albert.

BaLLiN
04-28-2008, 09:00 PM
I think Oher will fall because his stock is peaking at the wrong time, just like Quinn, Brohm, Sam Baker and Kenny Phillips. The draft is all about timing ask OJ Mayo or Branden Albert.

Jake Long's stock was enough last year to make him a top 10 pick, he stayed the same stockwise.

PACKmanN
04-28-2008, 09:07 PM

When Oher declared he was a late first round pick, and that was before the combine. If he had a great combine, there is no doubt in my mine he would have gone in the top 5-10. The Chiefs could have taken him instead of Dorsey.

Iamcanadian
04-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Well, the GBN just put out a preliminary mock for the 2009 draft which lists Oher behind Smith(Alabama). I don't think Oher is quite as good a prospect as Long because Long had about as high a character rating as you can get and I don't think Oher does. Oher is still a top 5 prospect as of now but we all know that come next year's draft anything can happen so I won't take it too seriouisly until I see Oher play as a senior.

http://www.gbnreport.com/2009projection.html

Caddy
04-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Well, the GBN just put out a preliminary mock for the 2009 draft which lists Oher behind Smith(Alabama). I don't think Oher is quite as good a prospect as Long because Long had about as high a character rating as you can get and I don't think Oher does. Oher is still a top 5 prospect as of now but we all know that come next year's draft anything can happen so I won't take it too seriouisly until I see Oher play as a senior.

Don't show that to T24L, he'll go insane with happiness.

Tampa 2 4 life
04-28-2008, 09:15 PM

15 Tampa Bay *George Selvie DE South Florida

I just ruined my entire wardrobe.

bored of education
04-28-2008, 09:17 PM
he is going to masturbate to that........again

Caddy
04-28-2008, 09:19 PM
15 Tampa Bay *George Selvie DE South Florida

I just ruined my entire wardrobe.

Haha, I knew it!!!

But back on topic, I think Oher is going to be a great prospect. Definitely has a higher ceiling than Long and is closer to the prototypical left tackle as well. I don't think his character concerns are as big a problem as most people think, but then again, considering every man and his dog interested in the draft has read The Blind Side it is bound to come up. Top 10 pick who could go higher depending on who is picking.

Don Vito
04-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Oher is a great prospect, he is a monster and a ridiculous athlete for his size. He has been dominant ever since he came to Ole Miss and rarely makes mistakes, I would consider him pretty polished. If Ole Miss can put together some wins with Nutt at the helm and a lot of talent at his disposal, Oher will get some publicity and I think people will realize how good he really is. I know many people have him as a potential #1 but I think he is just as good of a prospect, if not a better all around prospect than Jake Long.

WCH
04-29-2008, 04:56 AM
That book, The Blind Side, could seriously come back to bite him in the arse. I can assure you that the whole "look, he's a smart guy but you'll have to grab some ketchup bottles and go over the entire playbook with him" thing is not going to fly when we're talking about a playbook the size of the New York City phone book. Also, although the book put a nice spin on it, the fact remains that he did attack a teammate and then got off because his father was a wealthy alumni.

That book raised questions about his intelligence, questions about his emotional stability, and questions about his character. Oher and his coaches are going to have to work overtime to answer these questions.

Mr. Stiller
04-29-2008, 05:48 AM
I think a year under the new Mississippi coaching is going to turn Oher into a very solid polished LT.

Mr. Stiller
04-29-2008, 05:50 AM
That book, The Blind Side, could seriously come back to bite him in the arse. I can assure you that the whole "look, he's a smart guy but you'll have to grab some ketchup bottles and go over the entire playbook with him" thing is not going to fly when we're talking about a playbook the size of the New York City phone book. Also, although the book put a nice spin on it, the fact remains that he did attack a teammate and then got off because his father was a wealthy alumni.

That book raised questions about his intelligence, questions about his emotional stability, and questions about his character. Oher and his coaches are going to have to work overtime to answer these questions.

Jeremy Stevens, TE, Washington..

Still a first rounder after raping a woman, 2 DUIs, a hit and run...

Vince Young hit a teammate in pre-season last year and he's considered a good leader and teammate.

BamaFalcon59
04-29-2008, 07:17 AM
Green Bay *Sergio Render
OG
Virginia Tech

Cleveland Victor Harris
DB
Virginia Tech

Lucky teams.

A Perfect Score
04-29-2008, 07:56 AM
oher>jake long...he just has alot more potential then long has. and as said above, hes much closer to being a pure LT then long is. oher, IMO, is a top 5 pick next year with a good senior season.

A guy to keep an eye on is phil loadholt. he had some mega hype around him when he almost declared this year...reminds alot of people of jonathon ogden.

KMOXlistener
04-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Markuson (new OL coach) has churned out some pretty good lineman. This guy will be the most talented he's worked with so far.