PDA

View Full Version : Right Cow Move?

MikeBaltimore12
04-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Taking Felix Jones over Mendenhall....right move, all things considered?

Thunder&Lightning
04-28-2008, 08:30 PM
yes 100% yes. Even though Mendenhall might be a better prospect Felix Jones fits better into the cowboys system. Jones is a good change of pace being the speedy guy while Barber is the pounder.

bored of education
04-28-2008, 08:32 PM
LOL at the TITLE!

StripedWalrus
04-28-2008, 09:03 PM
yep its the right move. No need to have 2 pounding RB's. If your running a dual back system you need the backs to be two different types of backs. Cowboys did the right thing and got the different style of back in Jones.

Nalej
04-28-2008, 09:53 PM
I disagree. Mendenhall is a beast of a prospect.
He ran just as fast as Felix Jones in the 40. I just feel like he's more of a complete back.
He can be your speedback and your pounder.
Injuries occur often in the NFL and versitility could save a teams running game.
Mendenhall might be just a one year starter... but F. Jones never was even that.

I thought it was a horrible pick. I really thought they were gonna get Mendenhall when the pick came up... I was really gonna hate the Cowboys for being so lucky... but of course they f'd that up. No biggie though. I'm glad.
Though I hate the Steelers too.

...Pats fan... in case you were wondering...

Don Vito
04-28-2008, 10:12 PM
I disagree. Mendenhall is a beast of a prospect.
He ran just as fast as Felix Jones in the 40. I just feel like he's more of a complete back.
He can be your speedback and your pounder.
Injuries occur often in the NFL and versitility could save a teams running game.
Mendenhall might be just a one year starter... but F. Jones never was even that.

I thought it was a horrible pick. I really thought they were gonna get Mendenhall when the pick came up... I was really gonna hate the Cowboys for being so lucky... but of course they f'd that up. No biggie though. I'm glad.
Though I hate the Steelers too.

...Pats fan... in case you were wondering...

40 times aside, Jones is much quicker, shiftier, and just faster on the field. He is incredibly quick and shifty with the ball in his hands and I believe he was the right selection by Dallas, despite the fact I love Mendenhall as a prospect.

CC.SD
04-28-2008, 10:15 PM
No way these fast RBs never pan out better than the slower tougher runners. Mendenhall+Barber? Just run at them all day, any team that doesn't have an elite D-line gets instantly KOd.

StripedWalrus
04-28-2008, 10:48 PM
No way these fast RBs never pan out better than the slower tougher runners. Mendenhall+Barber? Just run at them all day, any team that doesn't have an elite D-line gets instantly KOd.

Thats interesting coming from a Chargers fan. I guess LT and Adrian Peterson will never pan out in the NFL. I feel sorry for Barry Sanders because he never panned out either.

If you just run at them with a power back over and over you go 3 and out every time. You gotta throw some strategy in there. Just pounding the Line over and over gets you now where.

Brothgar
04-28-2008, 11:24 PM
Honestly it depends on if you are able to keep Barber. I've heard he is making huge contract demands It might have been a better Idea to draft a potential replacement. Note I said MAYBE that is only if you can't get a deal done with Barber. I still like Johnson in the scat back role over Jones but what do I know?

CC.SD
04-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Thats interesting coming from a Chargers fan. I guess LT and Adrian Peterson will never pan out in the NFL. I feel sorry for Barry Sanders because he never panned out either.

If you just run at them with a power back over and over you go 3 and out every time. You gotta throw some strategy in there. Just pounding the Line over and over gets you now where.

First of all, Adrian Peterson was not a "speed back," he was on another level as a prospect. So was Barry. The system missed LT a little, but obviously he is a hall of fame caliber talent.

When discussing a speed guy versus a power guy, I'll take the power guy. A power running game DOES get its share of first downs, and they pay off in the 4th quarter when the other team's D is sucking wind.

Forenci
04-29-2008, 12:53 AM
I think the Cowboys made a terrible choice passing on Mendy.

The main reason being is if they let Marion Barber go (which, who knows at this point?) then I don't believe Felix is a primary 15-20 carries a game back like Mendy can be.

If anything, Choice would probably start for the Cowboys.

Now if the 'Boys do re-sign Marion, then it goes from being a poor pick to a good pick.

We shall see.

theogt
04-29-2008, 01:11 AM
I think Barber, Felix, and Choice are better than Barber, Mendenhall, and any other possible RB pick in the draft. Choice gives you the true backup that could carry the load if Barber goes down and Felix gives you that alternate weapon like a Reggie Bush.