PDA

View Full Version : Carolina Panther Watch

eaglesfan_45
04-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Well seeing as we have their #1 pick I think its time we become concerned.

Panthers sign Darwin Walker
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3372098

brat316
04-28-2008, 09:07 PM
I AM NOt concerned, Delhomme will get hurt and screw them into the top 10.

BaLLiN
04-28-2008, 09:17 PM
very good move by the eagles to move down, pickup a high first next year (probably) and still get two quality guys with their first 2 picks.

eaglesalltheway
04-29-2008, 06:14 AM
I am quite happy with it.

ryan0022
04-29-2008, 12:17 PM
I was dissapointed at first, naturally because I wanted someone for this year, but this was absolutely a deal that Andy could not pass up and it was a good move, now as long as the Panthers get their asses kicked we'll be good to go... hopefully this time next yer will have Michael Oher...

bsaza2358
04-29-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm fine with Oher or Loadholt next year. Of course, there are a ton of juniors who could come out and make this draft strong as well.

bsaza2358
04-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Good topic to start, BTW.

DragonFireKai
04-29-2008, 05:18 PM
I want that pick to turn into Michael Crabbtree.

eaglesfan_45
04-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Why are the Panthers stealing all our former players?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3373894

They just signed Ian Scott

bsaza2358
04-30-2008, 08:36 AM
And Darwin Walker. Heck, they can have them...

eaglesfan_45
05-18-2008, 02:37 AM
How many wins for the panthers?

Week 1- @ Chargers- L- Panthers are owned in their opening game.
Week 2- vs. Bears- L- Bears defense wins them the game
Week 3- @ Vikings- L- Carolina is dominated on both sides of the ball
Week 4- vs. Atlanta- W- Panthers show the young Falcons team who's boss
Week 5- vs. Chiefs- W- Panthers beat another young team
Week 6- @ Buccaneers- L- Bucs show that they are still the better team
Week 7- vs. Saints- L- Panthers lose big time
Week 8- vs. Cardinals- W- Win a close one
Week 9- Bye
Week 10- @ Raiders- L- Raiders win in a low scoring game
Week 11- vs. Lions- W- no way the Lions win
Week 12- @ Falcons- L- Matt Ryan gets his revenge for the 1st game
Week 13- @ Packers- L- Packers still dominant even without Farve
Week 14- vs. Buccaneers- L- Bucs trounce the Panthers
Week 15- vs. Broncos- L- Panthers are run over by the Broncos
Week 16- @ NY Giants- L- No way they win this one
Week 17- @ Saints- L- Yet another loss

Final Record- 4-12 Top 10 pick!! Hooray.

Why?
Panthers are too injury prone. Plus you have a rookie T protecting an injury prone QB. WR's are decimated, all of them were injured at least once during the season.

On the plus side, the running game shows potential and Otah shows his run blocking prowess, giving the Panther's new coach a good gameplan.

eaglesalltheway
05-21-2008, 06:26 AM
On the plus side, the running game shows potential and Otah shows his run blocking prowess, giving the Panther's new coach a good gameplan.

???Last I checked, they didn't have a new coach. ???

cunningham06
05-31-2008, 01:45 AM
I don't get where all of this speculation is coming from that they will be a bottom 10 NFL team. That would be nice for us, but if you really look at that team they are playoff contenders. Last year they weren't good because lack of a good #2 receiver hurt Delhommes production, and the run game wasn't that great because Deshaun Foster is trash.

Well, they got that #2 receiver they have had success with in the past in Muhsin Muhammed, and they got Jonathan Stewart in the draft to add the power dimension to the running game. Stewart and Williams will be a good 1 2 punch. Add in Otah's improvement to the O-Line, and I bet Delhomme has a pretty good season.

They had a very good draft, Charles Godfrey was one of my favorite players in the draft, and he helps shore up the main weakness in the defense, the safety position.

As of right now I don't see the Panthers going 4-12 or being a top 10 pick.

diabsoule
05-31-2008, 01:59 AM
You also didn't mention D.J. Hackett, which will help as well in the receiving game. I think Carolina is going to be a lot better this year than people give them credit for, although I do think this is probably going to be Delhomme's last year.

eaglesfan_45
05-31-2008, 01:36 PM
???Last I checked, they didn't have a new coach. ???

They will if they have that kind of a season

eaglesfan_45
05-31-2008, 01:48 PM
I don't get where all of this speculation is coming from that they will be a bottom 10 NFL team. That would be nice for us, but if you really look at that team they are playoff contenders. Last year they weren't good because lack of a good #2 receiver hurt Delhommes production, and the run game wasn't that great because Deshaun Foster is trash.

Well, they got that #2 receiver they have had success with in the past in Muhsin Muhammed, and they got Jonathan Stewart in the draft to add the power dimension to the running game. Stewart and Williams will be a good 1 2 punch. Add in Otah's improvement to the O-Line, and I bet Delhomme has a pretty good season.

They had a very good draft, Charles Godfrey was one of my favorite players in the draft, and he helps shore up the main weakness in the defense, the safety position.

As of right now I don't see the Panthers going 4-12 or being a top 10 pick.

They are injury prone and having a rookie T protecting a Injury Prone QB isn't good. Muhammed isn't as good as you give him credit for (just ask a Bears fan). And DJ Hackett is injury prone as well. They drafted an injury prone RB and the Williams isn't proven as a full time runner.

The Panthers are a good team, but they are injury prone. They could make a run if everyone stays healthy, but for the Panthers thats a GIANT if.

cunningham06
06-01-2008, 01:58 AM
They are injury prone and having a rookie T protecting a Injury Prone QB isn't good. Muhammed isn't as good as you give him credit for (just ask a Bears fan). And DJ Hackett is injury prone as well. They drafted an injury prone RB and the Williams isn't proven as a full time runner.

The Panthers are a good team, but they are injury prone. They could make a run if everyone stays healthy, but for the Panthers thats a GIANT if.

Delhomme is less injury prone than McNabb but yet we are going to go deep in the playoffs... If Otah isn't the best option he won't start. You act like he will start even if he's completely ******** out there.

Muhsin Muhammed is much better suited to be a good #2 than a #1 receiver that is expected to produce every week. Last time I checked he was pretty damn good in Carolina last time he was there. Who cares if DJ Hackett is injury prone, he can have a career ending injury and the Panthers will still finish better than 4-12.

What Carolina will most likely do with Stewart and Williams will be what Dallas did last year with Marion Barber and Julius Jones. Stewart will get most of the carries, but won't have to carry the load all by himself.

I'm all for being optimistic, but I'm not going to be stupid with my expectations. The Panthers will not be picking in the top 5 next year. It's just not going to happen. They have a lot of talent and even when injured are better than at least 5 teams in the NFL.

BlindSite
06-01-2008, 02:15 AM
Even if we lose delhomme 7-9 is a distinct possibility.

If Delhomme stays healthy with the schedule we face, the Panthers should at least go 8-8.

Improvements on the D on offense make me hopeful of a 10 win season. Anything less will be a huge let down.

eaglesfan_45
06-01-2008, 02:21 AM
Delhomme is less injury prone than McNabb but yet we are going to go deep in the playoffs... If Otah isn't the best option he won't start. You act like he will start even if he's completely ******** out there.

1. It is just a stupid little guess how many wins they'll get thing, I don't really think they will only win 4 games.

2. Delhomme and McNabb are equally injury prone and last time and last time I checked Delhomme is the one recovering from surgery not McNabb. If Otah does start he won't suck, but he will struggle at least a couple times as most Young OT do.

Muhsin Muhammed is much better suited to be a good #2 than a #1 receiver that is expected to produce every week. Last time I checked he was pretty damn good in Carolina last time he was there. Who cares if DJ Hackett is injury prone, he can have a career ending injury and the Panthers will still finish better than 4-12.

Exactly, this isn't the last time he was there, while he was gone, he has been stuck in offensive hell in Chigaco and He hasn't gotten any younger. Also just ask any Bears fan how they feel about him.

Yeah, well most Panthers fans think DJ Hackett is their savior

What Carolina will most likely do with Stewart and Williams will be what Dallas did last year with Marion Barber and Julius Jones. Stewart will get most of the carries, but won't have to carry the load all by himself.

Stewart is injury prone so if he goes down that leaves Williams as the feature back. I think he could do that, but he hasn't proven that yet.

I'm all for being optimistic, but I'm not going to be stupid with my expectations. The Panthers will not be picking in the top 5 next year. It's just not going to happen. They have a lot of talent and even when injured are better than at least 5 teams in the NFL.

Read the very 1st thing I said lol

brat316
06-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Stewart is injury prone so if he goes down that leaves Williams as the feature back. I think he could do that, but he hasn't proven that yet.

Really how many injuries has Stewart had in his college career. That forced him to miss significant time. Also if he was injury prone not having to carry the ball alot helps

cunningham06
06-01-2008, 09:24 PM
1. It is just a stupid little guess how many wins they'll get thing, I don't really think they will only win 4 games.

Well that is exactly what you just said, and you offered reasoning as to why you think that.

2. Delhomme and McNabb are equally injury prone and last time and last time I checked Delhomme is the one recovering from surgery not McNabb. If Otah does start he won't suck, but he will struggle at least a couple times as most Young OT do.

That is just stupid Delhomme is injury prone, but McNabb is much more so. Delhomme played 3 full seasons before his 13 game season and 3 game season last year. His problems aren't like McNabb's who has recurring problems in his lower body. If Otah gets the starting spot at tackle, that means he is the best player to play that position on the team which would be an IMPROVEMENT over last year. That is pretty basic and not hard to understand.

Exactly, this isn't the last time he was there, while he was gone, he has been stuck in offensive hell in Chigaco and He hasn't gotten any younger. Also just ask any Bears fan how they feel about him.

I don't care how Bears fans feel about them since the Bears qb's make Delhomme look like Peyton Manning. At this point in his career Muhammed is not meant to be a #1 receiver, which is probably why Bears fans aren't too high on him. He will do well in the #2 slot especially with Steve Smith drawing double teams

Yeah, well most Panthers fans think DJ Hackett is their savior

Even if he does get hurt, in the games he plays he will help them. If he does get hurt it's not that much worse than the slot position was last year. So it's either a big improvement, or a tiny step backward.

A dual RB system helps protect the RB's by not putting them on the field when they are gassed. Most injuries happen when a player is nearing exhaustion and can't protect their body as they otherwise would be able to. Westbrook is extremely injury prone but we keep him healthy by not overloading him with touches.

Read the very 1st thing I said lol

lol what's the very 1st thing you said?

(10 characters.)

eaglesfan_45
06-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Delhomme is injury prone no matter what any one says

Otah is an improvement and he will start but what I'm trying to say is that Young OT often get beat because they don't know the tricks of the trade and aren't used to going up against NFL Caliber DE's week in and week out. He will let people beat him from time to time and when he does get beat it isn't going to help Delhomme.

Muhammed isn't young anymore and he isn't even close to what he used to be, and he will not be the great #2 reciever you think he'll be, he will be an average #2.

Well no crap, I'm not arguing that point.

Stewart had nagging injury problems at Oregon, that is all I am saying. He is going to be hurt at some point.

The first thing i said was that I really don't think that they are a 4 win team, that is just a stupid season prediction where I gave them the worst possible situation.

cunningham06
06-01-2008, 11:55 PM
I'll give them 6-10 for worst possible scenario. They are a playoff caliber team, hopefully they disappoint this year.

ShutDwn
06-02-2008, 12:26 AM
Delhomme is injury prone no matter what any one says

Otah is an improvement and he will start but what I'm trying to say is that Young OT often get beat because they don't know the tricks of the trade and aren't used to going up against NFL Caliber DE's week in and week out. He will let people beat him from time to time and when he does get beat it isn't going to help Delhomme.

Muhammed isn't young anymore and he isn't even close to what he used to be, and he will not be the great #2 reciever you think he'll be, he will be an average #2.

Well no crap, I'm not arguing that point.

Stewart had nagging injury problems at Oregon, that is all I am saying. He is going to be hurt at some point.

The first thing i said was that I really don't think that they are a 4 win team, that is just a stupid season prediction where I gave them the worst possible situation.

That was the first time Jake has been put on IR since we have had him. How the hell does that make him injury prone? Why don't you go compare Delhomme's injury profile with Mcnabb's.

Delhomme:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/4555/injuries.html
Mcnabb:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/4650/injuries.html

I am sure you will be quick to point out that Delhomme has so many days out from one injury. However, you yourself used the word prone, which means "having a tendancy, inclined". In which case Mcnabb has a higher "tendency" or is more "inclined" to be injured

Muhammed will most likely be the third receiver, we signed a much younger Hackett as well.

Muhammed doesn't have to great, he can be a good slot receiver and still help the offense a great deal with his blocking. He is still one of the best blockers in the game, the team definitely noticed a difference without Keyshawn out there. Hackett doesn't have to a savior either, all he and Muhammed have to do is grab 80 combined passes and block for Williams and Stewart and they will be effective. Steve Smith will always get his, the other guys just need to be able to be better at helping then Colbert or Carter were.

While Otah will have obvious deficiencies being a rookie, we are still get much better across the line. The line has gotten much bigger and will be able to finally get a push against decent defensive lines.

The team has the potential to surprise, I don't see them losing more than 8 games.

eaglesalltheway
06-02-2008, 06:43 AM
The Panthers are a boom or bust team IMO. I could see them going as high as 11-5, and I could see tham being a 6-10 team as well, maybe 5-11, but I highly doubt that. So much relies on health, but one thing that hasn't been mentioned is their losses at DT. Kris Jenkins may not have been what he was, but I'm sure that they would be totally opposed to still having him. A lot relies on the D-line, Delhomme, Otah, and the rest of the O-line.

Eagles own the NFC East
06-18-2008, 01:35 PM
They are going to win the South, I'm sorry thats just my prediction and I am not going to be biased, they have definitely improved this season and they are in a weak division. The Bucs I doubt post the same record they did last season and the Saints still have a lot of question marks. And don't get me started on the Falcons.

eaglesalltheway
06-18-2008, 01:37 PM
It is definitely possible with that division, but its just as likely that thye finish at either spot in that division.

cunningham06
06-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Top to bottom the Panthers are the best team in that division, so at this point I expect that they will win their division.

eaglesalltheway
06-18-2008, 01:42 PM
The same could be said last year though, it all depends on injuries, which were a main reason for their downfall last year.

camp_eagles
06-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Im hoping Delhomme get hurt again this year

cunningham06
06-19-2008, 08:43 PM
The same could be said last year though, it all depends on injuries, which were a main reason for their downfall last year.

Not really, most everyone had the Saints pegged for 1st in the division last year. Their defense was exposed this year though. Hopefully the Panthers will have an injury riddled season and finish with 2 wins, but you can't bet on them to have injury problems because more often than not injuries are just luck of the draw.

eaglesalltheway
06-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Not really, most everyone had the Saints pegged for 1st in the division last year. Their defense was exposed this year though. Hopefully the Panthers will have an injury riddled season and finish with 2 wins, but you can't bet on them to have injury problems because more often than not injuries are just luck of the draw.

Yeah but if Delhomme goes down that pretty much ends it for them. And they have a new LT who may get expeosed. Its just one thing I know, but I gues what I'm trying to say is this, its to tough to know right now.

eaglesfan_45
06-19-2008, 10:37 PM
If being injured is just luck, then the Panthers are the luckiest team in the NFL.

eaglesalltheway
06-20-2008, 06:20 AM
At least last year anyway.

PSUEagles17
07-12-2008, 08:20 AM
With The 4th pick in the 2009 NFL Draft from the Panthers the Philadelphia Eagles select Andre Smith OT Alabama

eaglesalltheway
07-14-2008, 07:22 AM
Whoa whoa whoa, I don't know if they would pick that high, but I certainly wouldn't complain:D.

cunningham06
08-01-2008, 06:14 PM
Alright some good (bad for them) news coming out of Carolina: Steve Smith punched Ken Lucas in the face on the sideline during training camp. Lucas was carted off the field holding an ice pack to his eye. Repercussions for Smith have not been announced yet.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d809a8482&template=with-video&confirm=true

I like both Lucas and Smith as players, but this will definitely be bad for team chemistry, and Smith could be suspended for a few games.

eaglesalltheway
08-01-2008, 06:22 PM
If that is the case dependin on how long Smith is out, that could really be a problem for the Panthers. I really don't expect him out more than two games if he even gets suspended. I agree it will affect team chemistry, and that may be was has a larger negative factor for the Panthers.

cunningham06
08-03-2008, 01:44 AM
The Panthers released a statement saying that Smith will be suspended for the first two games of the season. They will be weaker for those two games, and Smith and Delhomme will probably take another few games after those two to really get on the same page.

MidwayMonster31
08-03-2008, 02:02 AM
Smith had to be held accountable for his actions, so a suspension was necessary. Training camp fights usually end up in shoving, not punching. Smith got their starting cornerback hurt with a broken nose. 2 games was the right amount.
John Fox needed this situation like a kick in the mouth. He has been on the hot seat since last year and now he has to suspend his best player. They probably wouldn't beat San Diego in week 1, even with Smith. But the Chicago game the next week is winnable with Smith. Here I am, making predictions already, can the season start already?

Edit: I just realized this in the Eagles section. You guys should aim for Michael Crabtree.

BlindSite
08-03-2008, 02:11 AM
Just to throw in my 2 cents, I can't see the Panthers losing to chicago even with Smith out and I couldn't see us beating SD with Smith there so IMO, the Panthers are going to be 1-1 despite Smith being out, which everyone is predicting.

eaglesalltheway
08-04-2008, 12:24 PM
I agree Blindsite, that is how I would put it anyway, at least it gives Bear Fans hope though. MidMon31, beleive it or not, S and OT, especially LT are bigger needs than WR right now, but by the end of the year, we may need WR, or we may not need one at all. once again, specualtion is almost pointless, but it is fun.

bsaza2358
08-04-2008, 03:03 PM
I am on board with blindsite's assessment. Carolina may have been able to steal the Chicago game with Smith, though you never know. They aren't totally anemic without him.

eaglesalltheway
08-04-2008, 04:47 PM
bsaza, I don't know if you had a typo or what, but it seems like you contradicted yourself. You say you are on board with Blindsite, but you then you say that the Panthers may be able to steal the game against Chigaco. I don't know, that just makes me beleive that you think Chigaco would win that game, when Blindsite's assessment is that Carolina would win.

bsaza2358
08-04-2008, 04:53 PM
You were right. Typo. I mean that Chicago could steal the game. I'm not sold at all on Carolina this year. The only real problem is that I want them to have like the #7 overall pick. I don't want the team to have to give out some sort of ridiculous $65mm guaranteed deal...

eaglesalltheway
08-04-2008, 04:59 PM
I wasn't sure if you put Carolina instead of Chicago, or if you meant to say seal instead of steal.

cunningham06
08-05-2008, 12:50 AM
I wasn't sure if you put Carolina instead of Chicago, or if you meant to say seal instead of steal.

Now I'm confused. By seal do you mean:

http://www.mtv.com/shared/media/images/artist/s/seal/az_official/281x211.jpg

or

http://www.kahea.org/nwhi/images/baby_seal_2_smaller.jpg

eaglesalltheway
08-05-2008, 06:13 AM
^^^That is worthy of a + rep if I ever heard it. I saw this post about 5 minutes ago, and I am still recovering from my laughter.

eaglesfan_45
08-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Guess who the Panthers cut?

If you guessed Ian Scott you're correct! Is anyone really suprised?

bsaza2358
08-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Disappointing. Scott made the Panthers a lesser team...

eaglesalltheway
08-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Niot exactly surprised, but that sucks for him.

cunningham06
09-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Well ****, the Panthers really pulled that one out of nowhere, 1-0.

eaglesalltheway
09-08-2008, 06:17 AM
Yeah, they have a thing for playing to their competition though. I have a feeling they will be in a lot of very close games this year if they stay healthy. Rosario really stepped up for them.