PDA

View Full Version : Better OG Brandon Albert or Duke Robinson?

PACKmanN
04-28-2008, 11:47 PM
If Duke would have came out this year which OG do you guys think would have came off the the board first Brandon Albert or Duke Robinson?

SenorGato
04-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Albert. Sick enough athlete to get LT considerations by pro teams.

toonsterwu
04-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Albert would've come off first, but Duke is the better OG. They aren't really similar, as Duke's the prototypical in-line OG, whereas Albert isn't. Albert may end up being an OG, but he was drafted high partly on his potential to move to OT, which Duke lacks.

SchizophrenicBatman
04-29-2008, 12:01 AM
Albert comes off board first

Duke is the better guard

Paranoidmoonduck
04-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Albert definitely comes off the board first in that situation. While Robinson is definitely a more traditional guard, I'm not sure if he's really better. Albert wouldn't work at guard in all schemes, but I think he's definitely got the skills to play inside. I wouldn't call Duke the superior guard (I actually think the kid is a bit overrated).

BaLLiN
04-29-2008, 06:21 AM
Albert comes off board first

Duke is the better guard

bingo, alberts highlights looked really sick i have to say.

Iamcanadian
04-29-2008, 06:56 AM
If you want an OG who is a mauler who overpowers a guy in front of him then Robinson is the better OG. If you want an OG who is asked to block in open space on sweeps then Albert is as good as it gets. Albert overall, is a far superior athlete with tremendous feet who will play LT in the NFL and has a real shot at being an All Pro. He's a top 10 and maybe even a top 5 pick if he had played LT in college. Waiting for D'Brickshaw Ferguson to graduate kept him at OG for a couple of years and he sacrificed a lot of money to stay at OG for the good of his team but it cost him on draft day.

eaglesalltheway
04-29-2008, 06:56 AM
Albert definitely comes off the board first in that situation. While Robinson is definitely a more traditional guard, I'm not sure if he's really better. Albert wouldn't work at guard in all schemes, but I think he's definitely got the skills to play inside. I wouldn't call Duke the superior guard (I actually think the kid is a bit overrated).

I actually agree with your assesment there.

BamaFalcon59
04-29-2008, 07:20 AM
They probably grade out similar at guard, with Robinson having the slight edge. Albert gets the higher draft grade because of his potential to play left tackle and the importance of that position.

toonsterwu
04-29-2008, 09:06 AM
If you want an OG who is a mauler who overpowers a guy in front of him then Robinson is the better OG. If you want an OG who is asked to block in open space on sweeps then Albert is as good as it gets. Albert overall, is a far superior athlete with tremendous feet who will play LT in the NFL and has a real shot at being an All Pro. He's a top 10 and maybe even a top 5 pick if he had played LT in college. Waiting for D'Brickshaw Ferguson to graduate kept him at OG for a couple of years and he sacrificed a lot of money to stay at OG for the good of his team but it cost him on draft day.

Just to note, he only waited one year (Brick was a senior when he was a freshman). The reason Branden was kept at LG was

a) We had Eugene Monroe slated for LT, a guy who was viewed as a better physical talent.

b) Albert was originally slated to move to a tackle spot, but then Will Barker came on the scene at RT, and Virginia wanted to get their best 5 guys out there, and they also didn't want to have guys shifting around and having to learn new positions.

But if anyone is to "blame" for blocking Albert moving to a tackle spot, it would actually be Will Barker.

SchizophrenicBatman
04-29-2008, 09:42 AM

If you want to talk overrated on the Oklahoma OLine you need to look at the guy playing outside Robinson.

eazyb81
04-29-2008, 10:18 AM
As other have said, Albert would have certainly been drafted first but Robinson is more of a pure guard.

Albert is a tackle that just happened to be playing guard. He has excellent footwork and is great in space, which should help him make a fairly easy transition to left tackle.

eazyb81
04-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Just to note, he only waited one year (Brick was a senior when he was a freshman). The reason Branden was kept at LG was

a) We had Eugene Monroe slated for LT, a guy who was viewed as a better physical talent.

b) Albert was originally slated to move to a tackle spot, but then Will Barker came on the scene at RT, and Virginia wanted to get their best 5 guys out there, and they also didn't want to have guys shifting around and having to learn new positions.

But if anyone is to "blame" for blocking Albert moving to a tackle spot, it would actually be Will Barker.

It should also be noted that the coaches didn't think Monroe was versatile enough to move positions, while Albert was already a great guard. It wasn't worth having each try and learn a new position.

fenikz
04-29-2008, 10:32 AM
I don't think Duke is even going to the the 1st OG taken next year, actually I doubt that he is even the 1st OG taken on his team Walker is better in my eyes

D-Unit
04-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Duke is the better pro OG prospect. The reason Albert shot up the boards is because teams think he can play LT.

Number 10
04-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Robinson = Shawn Andrews

Number 10
04-29-2008, 02:35 PM
That left side of the OU line next year is going to be scary good.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-29-2008, 03:01 PM
If you want to talk overrated on the Oklahoma OLine you need to look at the guy playing outside Robinson.

No argument here.

Robinson = Shawn Andrews

I really don't see that. Andrews is one of the best guard prospects we've seen in years. The only potential Andrews I see in the draft is Andre Smith if people decide that he should move inside.