PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Draft: Who/What Positions are we Drafting?

hcbrad08
04-29-2008, 12:30 AM
I know, I know, just figured its not a bad topic to discuss (maybe discuss what we still lack)

Some of the top pro prospects for the 2009 draft at each position
BOLD=Jets should target.

Quarterbacks
1. Tim Tebow, Florida (Jr.)
2. Matthew Stafford, Georgia (Jr.)
3. Nate Davis, Ball State (Jr.)
4. Cullen Harper, Clemson
5. Curtis Painter, Purdue

Running Backs
1. Beanie Wells, OSU (Jr.)
2. C.J. Spiller, Clemson (Jr.)
3. Marlon Lucky, Nebraska
4. P.J. Hill, Wisconsin (Jr.)
5. Arian Foster, Tennessee

Wide Receivers
1. D. Heyward-Bey, Mary. (Jr.)
2. Percy Harvin, Florida (Jr.)
3. Brandon Gibson, Wash. St.
4. Brian Robiskie, OSU
5. Greg Carr, Florida State

Tight Ends
1. Cornelius Ingram, Florida
2. Travis Beckum, Wisconsin
3. Brandon Pettigrew, Ok. St.
4. Chase Coffman, Missouri
5. Bear Pascoe, Fresno State

Offensive Tackles
1. Andre Smith, Bama (Jr.)
2. Michael Oher, Ole Miss
3. Ciron Black, LSU (Jr.)
4. Alex Boone, Ohio State
5. Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma

Offensive Guards/Centers
1. Duke Robinson, Oklahoma
2. Herman Johnson, LSU
3. Alex Mack, California
4. Jeremy Perry, Oregon State
5. Cedric Dockery, Texas

Defensive Ends
1. Tyson Jackson, LSU
2. George Selvie, USF (Jr.)
3. Greg Hardy, Ole Miss (Jr.)
4. Greg Middleton, Indiana (Jr.)
5. Michael Johnson, Ga Tech

Defensive Tackles
1. Fili Moala, USC
2. Sen'Derrick Marks, Aub. (Jr.)
3. Dorrell Scott, Clemson
4. George Hypolite, Colorado
5. Terrance Taylor, Michigan
6. Demonte Bolden, Tenn.

Linebackers
1. Rey Maualuga, USC
2. James Laurinaitis, Ohio State
3. Brian Cushing, USC
4. Marcus Freeman, Ohio State
5. Sean Lee, Penn State

Safeties
1. Taylor Mays, USC (Jr.)
2. Myron Rolle, Fla. State (Jr.)
3. Courtney Greene, Rutgers
4. Michael Hamlin, Clemson
5. Nic Harris, Oklahoma

Cornerbacks
1. Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State
2. Mike Mickens, Cincinnati
3. Vontae Davis, Illinois (Jr.)
4. Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest
5. Jairus Byrd, Oregon (Jr.)

What are your thoughts?
Essentially what positions do you think we are going to have to bolster?

IMODE, WR, ILB, OT, RB, FS, OG

The Great Jonathan Vilma
04-29-2008, 12:43 AM
To hard to say the players at this point, at least for me. Positions at this point, WR, Right OL, DL Depth, CB

derza222
04-29-2008, 12:29 PM
I was actually just thinking about starting this thread. Obviously team needs are incredibly fluid right now, so I figure I'll just run through them all briefly:

QB- I'd like to hope somebody (Clemens) steps up this year. If he doesn't, regardless of how much starting potential Ainge shows (unless he actually shows he can be the starter), this probably gets a look early in '09. If Clemens or Ainge proves they can be our starter, this could get a late round look for a third QB or we could be content with Smith as an emergency guy.

RB- It seems 2009 may be the year to find our back to replace Jones and pair with Washington. That said, if Jones puts up the year he's expected to behind this line he doesn't have a ton of wear on his tires, so maybe we don't address it at all. Probably an early round pick or nothing at all, I'd guess nothing.

FB- Depends a lot on what happens with Richardson and if Caulcrick develops. If all goes well Caulcrick will be our FB of the future and a great short yardage guy for us. That said, he may not be that guy and there could be a need to pick up a starting potential guy, we look at this old school and want guys that can block but versatility never hurts either. Maybe gets a look day 2, but probably not.

WR- After not giving it a look this past draft I'm thinking this becomes a big need next draft. There should be some solid round 1 talent in 2009 and the class overall looks like it's shaping up to be better than this past year. Definitely a potential day 1 need.

TE- Taking Keller kind of came out of nowhere this year. I think he develops into a very good player, but given our affinity for creating mismatches if the right guy comes along (and can block) I'm not shocked if we take him and try and pair him with Keller. Franks, Baker, and Keller have nice complimentary skill sets and if Baker isn't in the long term plans a good all around tight end could be something we try and find. Probably mid rounds if anything, but who knows. Personally I'd hope we're good for now, but I get the feeling we're not done with this position.

LT- Hopefully Brick makes a big step forward this season. If not, a surprise need.

RT- Definitely could be a need in the early/mid rounds depending on how the Woody experiment works out. If not, I'd guess rounds 2-4.

G- A long term guy at guard could get a look mid rounds, but I think we pass this year or take a T/G guy with versatility to back up for now and potential to eventually become a starter inside.

C- I almost didn't even remember to write this, barring a terrible Mangold injury we're set.

DE- Definitely a position that could use some youth and depth, should get some early round looks next year especially after being ignored this past year.

NT- Hopefully the Jenkins scheme switch works out, and I think it will, though if it doesn't we'll be scrambling to find one in this draft with a few potential NT's in it.

OLB- This position had better be set.

ILB- Harris is a fixture inside, but we could use somebody to pair with him down the road. Shocked we passed on Goff in the fifth, as much as we may have liked Ainge. This should be a priority come draft day.

SS- Kerry Rhodes

FS- Tons of question marks here, I could easily see this getting a look relatively early if Elam or Smith doesn't step up. Ideally someone with the ball skills and centerfield ability to let Rhodes roam, though I wonder if we want a hitter to add some physicality to our secondary.

CB- A lot of bodies at this position, but big question marks as to who is going to start across from Revis. Unless someone steps up this year in a big way, could get an early round look.

A couple of guys I like:

Courtney Greene- Pretty versatile safety that can make plays and hit, would look pretty nice next to Rhodes and could fall a little in a potentially strong safety class.

Michael Crabtree- Hopefully we're not in position to draft him, but a potential stud at wideout that would solve our #1 wideout of the future problems.

Kenny Britt- Another potential wideout for the future, great size, physicality, hands, and good speed.

Beanie Wells- Ideal back for us, perfect compliment to Leon. That said, hopefully Jones runs wild behind our line and it's not a need, also I'd hope we're not in position to draft him.

Rey Malualuga- Not sure if he checks out character wise, but a potential beast next to Harris with speed and big time hitting ability.

Jasper Brinkley- Ideal 3-4 inside linebacker, coming off an injury I believe so we'll see how that affects his play. Absolutely huge.

Vontae Davis- Brother of Vernon I believe, and another physical freak. Big hitter with ball skills and reported 4.3 speed at corner.

Tyson Jackson- If he can stop making stupid plays and shows a better motor, he could be an ideal 3-4 end for us. Great talent.

If I could choose what positions we bolster, I say DE, ILB, WR, FS, CB are the ones I'd focus on big time early. Hopefully D-Rob plays at least 65% of his snaps and Vilma is a stud so we can add a second and a third to what we've got now and can address all of those day 1. If so, we're looking at a very good future for this football team, with the ability to focus on OL and RB in the 2010 draft, along with whatever doesn't pan out this year and in '09 (hopefully nothing).

BroadwayJoe10
04-29-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm extremely excited about next years draft..already haha. I know we already have the guaranteed 4th from kendal and forgot exactly what the vilma deal turns out to be--is it a possible 2nd or 3rd?? and if we get that we give them our 4th?? And drob is a possible 2nd or nothing at all??

Anyways, hopefully our QB situation pans out and our Oline plays well. If that happens i see us addressing a skill position whether it be WR (should be one of our major nees) or say a moreno or wells fall (which they probably won't). I also can see tyson jackson being an option in the first or if a loadholt or Duke Robinson have a fantastic year. I wouldn't mind drafting BJ Raji so he could learn under Jenkins for a couple years, because once jenkins is gone i don't see Pouha being a starter.

Rey Maualuga is an absolute beast, but hopefully we aren't drafting high enough to get him. If jasper can come off his ACL surgery well, he could be a significant prospect in the 2nd or so. Although, i've heard rumors of pace playing a significant role as our ILB once gholston becomes and everydown OLB opposite thomas. We shall see with that.

As for WR - Darius Heyward-bay is probably my favorite prospect, becuase he would fit our needs perfectly. Percy harvin of course is a beast as well as Michael Crabtree.

derza222
04-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Kendall is definitely a 4th. Vilma I think is between second or third but we're giving up a fourth next year I believe to make up for this year's if we get the second or third. D-Rob is a third next year if he plays 65% of their snaps and I think it can get up to a second but I'm not sure how. Could be wrong but if I remember correctly that's what we're looking at next year. Wouldn't mind picking up a second or third for Pennington from some team that wants a starter during TC if Clemens/Ainge shows starting capabilities either, then we'd be in great shape going into next draft, ten picks including 6 in the first 3 rounds.

Bluedevil$
08-27-2008, 11:31 PM
DE, CB, ILB, FS, and possibly RT (Woody can be moved inside) should be priorities, but if I RB like Beanie Wells or Spiller falls to us, I'd be all for picking him up.

Unless some of the underclassmen declare, this QB class sucks... the idea of drafting a QB for the future doesn't sound bad but I don't want to see the FO settle for a so/so guy

'cuse-213
09-01-2008, 12:06 PM
I want Chase Daniels a Jet.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/1124/ncf_a_daniel_300.jpg

hcbrad08
09-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Im a big Moreno fan for RB I have to revise my sig bc I think RB is gonna be a big need next yr. QB Im not as worried, Ratliff although he may be a flash in the pan looks good enough to compete and there are alot of rumors saying Tannenbaum wants Favre for 2 yrs.

Our needs i think are as follows
DE, RB, ILB, FS, OT, OG
I think this draft (as it plays out now in ratings sets up well for us)

hcbrad08
10-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Im going to respond to my own post...i know...I think I'd have to revise that statement by saying that we should draft DL heavy in the draft...The D has been transformed into something potentially special. My pet pieve however is when Kris Jenkins goes to the sideline, teams run right at Pouha...He's no longer a Rudy practice warrior who helps the DL...Anyway here is my projections on needs and potential picks. I keep our 2nd bc i figure the vilma and favre trades will offset second picks in 4 and 5 come from Kendall and Robertson respectively

1)Tyson Jackson: Prototypiccal 3-4 DE and would provide valuable versatility for the D coordinator with a plethora of DE's (Ellis and Coleman are older and Devito and Mosley will never start...this is a necessary for the future of the defense and to make the DLines and Ds success overall sustainable

2)B.J. Raji: This may seem odd considering Kris Jenkins has been such a success. However, when he leaves the game Pouha is exposed and having the heir apparent to Jenkins would provide us with the ability to sub in packages of 34 and 43...OLs would constantly be working and we would wear down Offenses and not be worn down ourselves.

3)Phil Loadholt: He is ranked much high than this pick merits, however he has had some concerns and hes considerd a RT I think its a good sub for Damien Woody who is in all reality just a stop gap...Loadholt had a DUI and if the Jets are lucky he will drop to them theyll do their research and realize he is their guy IN THE 3RD ROUND.

4a)Josh Mauga He has played ILB in the 3-4 and could be the best filler for Eric Barton who will be back next year but there is nothing behind him in terms of depth unless youre talking about the aging Bowens.

4b)Chip Vaugn He is a playmaker and can play the pass and the run. He's underrated because he plays at Wake but couldbe a steal and great well rounded compliment to Kerry Rhodes with depth provided by Smith and Elam

5a)Marlon LuckyHe played under Callahan at Nebraska. He'll know the blocking schemes. He has size and could be a great compliment to Leon in the Future, bring him in to run a 3 back system with 45% Jones, 45% Washington 10% Lucky and bring him along to be the big guy after Jones is gone.

5b)Cedric DockeryHe's a big Texas OG and could which seems to be the theme of this draft provide great depth and eventually succeed one of the two OG. He also has the size and athleticism to play multiple spots

6)Kevin Huber: Hes a punter I know but he played well in the bowl was named all big east and all academic...Big leg graham problems emphasis on ST all three phases they spend a late pick on the best punter in the draft. Lefty ALSO

7)Brandon Hughes He's a Oregon state corner...He projects as a number 2 at best but a better nickle which would help with Miller's injuries and questions about Poteat (Barrett most likely wont be brought back after renegotiating contract unless he takes a huge cut) Could be a sleeper

Some might say how about WR?
I think Coles will be in form next season, Cotchery is emerging as a good WR Stuckey has good chemistry with Favre, Brad Smith is being used in various ways, D clowney looked great and seemed to be the deep threat we could use (favre would like it and the other brett liked it) My point where would they play...we cut out WR pick this year...I just think we'll shy away from it.

QB
I think we're set, with Favre the HOF, then a backup like Clemens who has had time to learn ratliff looks like he could be the future and ainge was kept for a reason

josh07039
10-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Courtney Greene- Pretty versatile safety that can make plays and hit, would look pretty nice next to Rhodes and could fall a little in a potentially strong safety class. He sucks. Can't Cover anymore for some reason. I think it may be because he gained weight in preparation for the NFL. However, It could be because Ron Girault being so solid covered over his flaws in coverage. Unless he falls a lot I don't know if I want the Jets to get him. Ill probably change my mind closer to draft day because he is a Rutgers guy, but I've been so incredibly disappointed with him(along with everyone else) this year.

katnip
11-04-2008, 10:20 AM
I don't like Chris "Beanie" Wells... Cause of injury's and this years Penn State game. I'd rather have first round some1 like Tyson Jackson, or a secondary guy.

Gridiron
11-10-2008, 06:33 PM
I think we have the flexibility to go with any position. It would be nice to add an impact receiver, running back, or pass-rusher, but I'm all for the BAP for every pick in this upcoming draft, no matter the position.

hcbrad08
11-18-2008, 11:48 AM
I don't so...Look at what happened to the Jets when they thought they had everything worked out going from 2006-2007. They returned 21 of 22 starters with the exception of a FB that shouldnt change a team...We need to take an EAGLES draft approach and draft specific positions that lack depth and require playmakers

-DE
-SS
-NT
-RB
-RT
-ILB

WR: seems to be deep...LC, JC, Stuckey, Smith and remember we do have David Clowney I think drafting a WR would be at the bottom of the list above

gsorace
11-18-2008, 10:29 PM
We have depth at WR but we don't have that #1 guy.

Cotchery is good but not great.

Coles is about done.

Stuckey and Smith are OK, but they aren't starters, and we don't really know what we have with Clowney yet.

josh07039
11-19-2008, 12:44 AM
I know this is a big homer pick, but Kenny Britt may be a 2nd round pick, but he has the potential to be the number 1 receiver we are looking for. However, Britt could also wind up a 1st rounder after a beastly performance at the combine. He is a man and he isn't even 40.

derza222
11-19-2008, 09:44 AM
For the list you have up there hcbrad DE, S, RT, and ILB I can definitely see as positions in need of some talent. Not sure if that list is in order or not but if it is there are a few things I would change.

Nose tackle makes sense as well but I have difficulty seeing us address it very early in the draft. I wouldn't particularly mind but Jinx has been a monster so we more need a guy that's can project to be a starter down the road and provide depth for now. Round 3-ish seems about right unless a very good value presents itself, but that almost never happens with nose tackles because it's so hard to find them. Almost always a reach pick.

Right tackle is a similar situation although I'd prefer to go in that direction because a good RT we draft could step in and start with Woody shifting over to RG and just improving the overall depth and talent of our offensive line. No nose tackle that we draft would be a starter.

The one I fail to understand as a need over a WR for example is RB. We have two very capable backs running behind a solid line and Jones is not showing any signs of needing to be replaced next season. The way I see it, RB, while I'd love a nice bruiser which we don't have, is a position that you can plug a guy in year 1 and have success with him. Look at all of the rookie backs having great years, it's probably the easiest position to transition into from college given you have a solid supporting cast. Wideouts on the other hand tend to take a couple of years, typically three. Given Coles is not going to play forever, it probably makes sense to take his successor sometime soon and give him some time to develop before he has the responsibility of starting. Meanwhile, given we have no consistant #3 WR threat (not including Keller) and no solid looking potential starters on the roster the guy could play some early and learn from some solid vets. Just seems like the right move, not one the Eagles would make because all of their WR's are crap, but one that would make sense regardless of whatever depth we have.

josh07039
11-20-2008, 10:45 AM
I agree that we can definitely hold off on rb. Even if TJ does start to decline, which I'm not sure he will because of his lack of wear and tear early in his career, we still have leon. I'm not saying leon can be a feature back, I'm saying we already have a young guy that can be half of a rb tandem. So basically, we can just grab a big mid/late round guy this year or next.

derza222
11-20-2008, 12:59 PM
I agree that we can definitely hold off on rb. Even if TJ does start to decline, which I'm not sure he will because of his lack of wear and tear early in his career, we still have leon. I'm not saying leon can be a feature back, I'm saying we already have a young guy that can be half of a rb tandem. So basically, we can just grab a big mid/late round guy this year or next.

Thats exactly what I want to do. A couple guys I like this year are Shonn Greene and Charles Scott. They'll probably both go earlier than I'd like to take a guy, though.

On a seperate note, a guy I like as a safety that may be there in the earlier mid-rounds depending on how much he rises is David Bruton of Notre Dame. Anybody else seen this guy at all? The little I was able to catch he looked very solid.

Also this isn't completely draft related but definitely could be. What do you think we do with Barton after the season? He's a UFA I believe, so whether or not we sign him (and how long) could be a huge factor in what our needs are come draft day because if he goes elsewhere we'll obviously need a new ILB to start next to Harris. Depending on how long we sign him too, we may need to groom a guy.

hcbrad08
11-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Im sorry but I completely disagree with your approach to the draft and positions...Coles is not all but done, Cotchery is better than good he makes big plays and can get YAC...

Conversely I think RB needs to be addressed not for poor play but because TJ is over 30 even though he's not run down and Leon has not shown he can be an everydown back...I would love to see him get more touches but not be our feature back... Now when Jesse Chatman was suspended who was our backup RB?

Look at the Giants...If we had stuck with D. Ward we would have a ridiculous 3 back group and a back for the future...The Giants have Jacobs, Bradshaw and Ward... Not to mention Danny Ware!

Also RB who can get 250 + touches are more valuable to a franchise than WRs who busst more than RBs do.

We also need to bolster the trenches bc thats how you build long term success.
That would help our pass defense much more than a CB. We have a one dimensional DL and need to make it so we can rush fewer players and apply pass pressure while maintaining our rush defense up front (aka keep those same moving parts..Coleman, Jenkins and Ellis)

derza222
11-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Im sorry but I completely disagree with your approach to the draft and positions...Coles is not all but done, Cotchery is better than good he makes big plays and can get YAC...

Wideouts take three years to develop, and Cotchery is good but will seriously struggle without Coles in the lineup. Do you really think Coles has 4 years left after this season? Because I sure don't.

Conversely I think RB needs to be addressed not for poor play but because TJ is over 30 even though he's not run down and Leon has not shown he can be an everydown back...I would love to see him get more touches but not be our feature back... Now when Jesse Chatman was suspended who was our backup RB?

The position can be addressed when the need presents itself because backs come into the league and don't have an adjustment like WR's do. In the mid-rounds, fine. But early it makes no sense. We don't need a starter at the moment. If Jones gets injured we're in trouble, but you can say the same thing for any position. Draft a bruiser in the mid-rounds and that suffices...for now.

Look at the Giants...If we had stuck with D. Ward we would have a ridiculous 3 back group and a back for the future...The Giants have Jacobs, Bradshaw and Ward... Not to mention Danny Ware!

The Giants success stems from their system and offensive line IMO, not the backs. Our system and offensive line are starting to improve and therefore we don't need to waste an early pick on a back. The Giants have what, a fourth rounder, two sevenths, and an undrafted guy? Further proving my point that you don't need to address RB early to have a successful run game.

Also RB who can get 250 + touches are more valuable to a franchise than WRs who busst more than RBs do.

What does busting have to do with value to a franchise? The point is that a WR takes more time to develop than a RB. And again I will argue, if a team has a good system the backs don't have all that much value. Look at teams like the Chiefs when they were good, the Steelers now, and the Giants like you used before. They have success with multiple backs because they run such a good system. A good WR that can stretch the field, take the pressure off the run game, and make big plays is harder to find and therefore more valuable IMO than a back that can have success in a good system.

We also need to bolster the trenches bc thats how you build long term success.
That would help our pass defense much more than a CB. We have a one dimensional DL and need to make it so we can rush fewer players and apply pass pressure while maintaining our rush defense up front (aka keep those same moving parts..Coleman, Jenkins and Ellis)

Finally somewhere that we agree. The trenches are incredibly important. For example, a solid offensive line takes pressure off of the RB position and makes it so that you can have success with multiple backs. I agree that our defensive line is also in need of an upgrade. However, the CB example you use is pretty pointless and your rushing fewer players example only makes so much sense. Obviously if you rush fewer guys you can stick more guys in coverage but with a pass rush as successful as ours guys should be able to make plays on the ball when the QB doesn't have much time to throw and they can't so upgrades are obviously necessary. And our only need at CB is for a nickel guy that can cover slot guys on short routes that we get burned consistantly on and where pass rush, no matter how good, doesn't really matter.

My thoughts in bold.

hcbrad08
11-23-2008, 02:02 AM
Neither RB or WR should be drafted before the 3rd round...Both are solid for 3 years at least and yes I think Coles could be playing in 4 years. At his level not necc but lets remember hes 31 not 37...I think there are Leon Washington's to be found every year at WR and RB...We don't need a Nickle CB enough to draft the position early. My point is that there are less busts in the trenches early on...If we are in a position where we aren't going to draft any starters we need to identify the positions where we are aging AND lack depth not just the former. If we can take safer picks early and then take a little risk later with higher reward we can maintain success and consistency at positions that really affect Wins and Losses. If Coles goes down we have Cotchery who showed that he is more of a great 2 than just ok 1 last season but last season he didnt have Keller and Stuckey in the lineup to fill in. If we lose Ellis and have to rely on Mosley and DeVito we will get beaten up on D. If we lose Jenkins FORGET the season.

I think this draft is TOP HEAVY in terms of trenchmen. If we have the chance to upgrade and get people who can contribute at RT ILB DE or NT. I think we take it and if we don't my point is that RB and WR are about equal in terms of how set we are at those positions but if you take away TJ as opposed to LC we are screwed. Im not saying losing LC isnt big but we can play without him without TJ our offense is predicatable and lacks any depth at RB.

The only trench position I would have a problem drafting early is RT UNLESS Damien Woody will not be back bc if we take any other trench position beside RT they can contribute whereas an early pick of an OL doesn't necc allow for playing time and merit a good investment. I could also see NT early (2nd round if Raji is impressive enough bc Jenkins unlike a guy like Wilfork is not in 3 downs consistently and personally I would love to have a more formidable NT (tandem). Taking Raji sets up a successor for Jenkins allows us to play a 4 man front if we feel so inclined and can keep Jenkins rested if he needs it without sacrificing as much as we do with Pouha. Same goes for DE or ILB. (Those could be even earlier-1st if Laurianitus is on the board...I don't love him but I think the Jets like OSUs LB core and coach)

I disagree with your assesment of WRs and taking 3 years to develop...maybe your confusing them with, QBs?

Eddie Royal, Desean Jackson, Donnie Avery.

WR can come in without being in camp and as Keyshawn Johnson likes to say run the 9 they can go deep or run curls and still contribute. I think the same goes for RBs bc they can come in and help right away, but to say WRs dont play well or reach their full potential until 4 years in thats a ludicris statement- arguably you could say no one reaches their "potential" until their 4th season.

Finally, and I think it bares repeating WRs bust constantly if we take one it should be late like JC. AND RB who would be #3 back who adds his own wrinkle would be a late round as well (as we search for another value liek Leon) we prevent a bust and a big money commitment to a skil position that we really don't need.

If you don't think SS, DE, NT, and ILB are more important than RB and WR then I don't think we're watching the same team... If you are just arguing that I chose to put a low need position (RB) in front of another low need position (WR) for reasons that many people would yield to (WR bust more, the further away from the trenches you are the less important you are, theres more dpeth at WR for the Jets than RB) then I think you are just arguing semantics.

derza222
11-23-2008, 11:23 AM
I told you that I agreed with you trenches are more important. Not sure if you meant the only trench position you have trouble taking early out of the needs you outlined is RT or if overall it's RT, but I'd have trouble with a LT or C for sure. How would you feel about a guard?

As far as WR's taking time to develop I stand by what I said. You gave me three examples of guys this draft that are producing, none of them are producing at an elite level, and all can significantly improve their games. There are exceptions to every rule. You asked if I was thinking of QB's, I give you Matt Ryan. If you look at their stats year 3 or 4 and compare them to their rookie year I believe you will see improvement. Some guys can step in and play right away, and some aren't able to. But all will improve over the course of their first few seasons because it's a difficult position to adjust to at the pro level. I'm not the only person that thinks this, either. You say you're more comfortable with a RB not busting because WR's bust all the time, but RB's definitely bust as well, don't last as long in the league, and I believe have less value because their success largely depends on the offensive line. Plus they can be found in the mid-rounds. Wideouts certainly can too, but I just don't like taking backs early no matter what the circumstances.

As far as semantics, yeah I thought I made it pretty clear in my original post that I was talking semantics. Your original list was a nice list, my opinion was that WR is a bigger need than RB, and that's that pretty much. You disagree and that's fine. We do agree that the lines on both side could use some depth and talent, so hopefully we focus on that in the draft next year. I'm not by any means advocating taking a WR early in this draft. But depending on the guy, I could see the logic behind it moreso than I could see the logic behind taking a RB early.

Clearly we have a difference of opinion on the WR vs. RB thing but since neither of us thinks its all that critical hopefully we can just move on from that and talk some other positions.

Three things I disagree with in your initial paragraph. One is that we should draft trench guys because they bust less than other positions early on. I personally think the trenches are more important and create success for your skill guys, which is why you draft them early on. But you make the move because it most improves your team, not because there's a lower bust factor. Trenches are nice because they help you in both facets of the game on both sides of the ball. Pass rush helps pass D defensively and the trenches obviously support the run game. Offensively you give your QB more time to throw while opening up holes in the run game. Kill two birds with one stone, I love it. If you want a high-level talent at a position you go there early. Another one is I think you have a little too much faith in our WR core. We have depth but it's 2 starters and a lot of slot guys. Keller's great but he's not going to fill in for an injured WR and a starting corner is going to eat any of our other guys alive. Just an opinion there. Finally, the nickel corner thing. If you look at how Buster Davis ate us alive in the Chargers game. Steve Breaston against Arizona. How we put Revis on Welker against the Pats just so he didn't kill us. I don't think we need one enough to go there first round simply because it's not a starting position (although with the prevalence of 3 WR sets in the league it's getting there). But it's one of our top 3 or 4 non-depth needs on defense. We have a major weakness there.

Your second paragraph I agree with. Only thing I have to say there is I think we can find a competent replacement for TJ later in the draft than we can for LC. Good backup runners (that can develop into starters in the right situation) can be found in the fourth round or so relatively consistantly if you have a good system. You're going to have a harder time finding a starting WR in the fourth, especially one that's going to be able to start right away. That's how I see it, at least.

Third paragraph I agree with and the rest of it I think I pretty much covered, at least if I wanted to go there.

Just so you can see whether or not our opinion differs on needs here's my take:

DE
ILB
NT
S
CB (nickel)
RT
WR
RB

I had trouble placing both secondary positions in there but that's my best shot at it. I could see right tackle moving up if we decide to kick Woody inside and start him instead of Moore. Wouldn't mind flipping it with CB either. Safety could drop significantly if Elam's level of play stays high and he proves he's a legit starting option, could rise significantly if he isn't. Inside linebacker will be at the top of the list if Barton leaves in FA and we don't find a replacement. If we don't go WR early (which I don't think is necessary but could understand) I'd rather not go there at all. On the other hand I'd like a back in the mid-rounds. There's a lot of football to be played and free agency to go through but there's my shot at it. Tear it to shreds.

hcbrad08
11-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Any player who comes into the league will be better in their 4th than their 1st barring injury AND any player who is a play maker in his 1st season is rare regardless of position. That was my point and I think your point is well taken on RB depending on OL but my point was our OL is good at run blocking this year and should continue to do so...hence less prospect of a bust...again im not trying to convince you bc i think you belive wr a bigger need im just stating my reasoning...BIG WIN Arguably the most complete team in the AFC.

josh07039
11-24-2008, 02:30 PM
I will try to be brief about my remarks so I'll do bullets.
1.I think you should always draft in the trenches. Every draft you need to keep retooling your line depth a bit. A guy or two for each. There is a fine line between being a grizzled veteran line and an old line.
2. We really need depth at linebacker, especially if we lose Barton. Harris being injured has really exposed our mlb depth specifically and our general linebacker.
3. Even if LC does play another 4 years I'm not sure he'll be useful. He is 31, but his style of play and the amount of shots he takes has to be considered in planing for the future.
4. I'll say it again. I don't like early runningbacks. You don't need a great runningback to have a good running game. Good Oline+ A well conceived committee=great running game.
5. The way this team has played, barring any injury or something crazy, I think we can decide on a few positions of need and go with BPA.

derza222
11-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Cannot say I disagree with anything that you said there. Another thing that I think bears keeping in mind is that the most likely scenario for us is making the playoffs and not winning to the Super Bowl. Provided that happens and Favre comes back (not a stretch) we will have a pretty short window to get a ring. That being the case, a position that could have an immediate impact on the team be it as a starter or a significant role player that adds a new element to the team while potentially providing at the least a future starter is the kind of direction we may want to go in early. Allows us to improve as a team immediately while not quite sacrificing the future to do so.

katnip
11-24-2008, 07:02 PM
Any1 know of a mid-round rb that could possibly eventually replace T. Jones? Because isn't he approaching 30? Which some of the greats couldn't overcome.

Any way this i how I'd go.

1) D-Line
2) QB (depends on favre I guess tho)
3) WR
4) Safety/Nickel Back

1/2 might as well be switchable cause of favre

timewaster
11-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Too many people have us taking a back that doesnt complement Leon Washington (who MUST be resigned after this year).

I want Shonn Greene in Green and White :twisted:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27222
That guys mock i like:

1st : B.J. Raji - NG/DE (3-4) - Boston College
2nd : Jasper Brinkley - ILB - South Carolina

Someone to spell Jenkins is a huge need.
Can never have too many LB's in the 3-4

Would like a WR to replace Coles.
Still on the Brett Ratliff bandwagon from pre-season.

ManOverboard
11-25-2008, 02:33 AM
Kenny Britt.

timewaster
11-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Everyone has us taking Moreno in the first.

Not like anyone is right, but!
Why choose a back that similar to Washington. If anything we need a big bruiser.

Not to mention i think Jones will do fine next year like he is doing this year. So a RB in the first round seems totally unnecessary. Please correct me if im wrong.

josh07039
11-25-2008, 08:33 PM
Kenny Britt.
100% absolutley yes.

TimD
11-25-2008, 11:56 PM
I say we go with Brian Cushing/Kenny Britt! Take 2 NJ affiliated guys!

josh07039
11-26-2008, 12:08 AM
Why not? Jersey people are the best people in the world.

illmatic74
11-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Why not? Jersey people are the best people in the world.After New Yorkers.

josh07039
11-26-2008, 12:58 PM
After New Yorkers.
I postulate that this is the type of pointless, punitive post that produces your neg rep.

derza222
12-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Anybody have thoughts on some guys they'd be interested in with our first round pick, presuming we have one? Obviously very preliminary but still fun to play around with...

gio
12-29-2008, 10:30 AM
we need a WR in the worst way its not even funny. just think, instead of dustin keller who had a whopping 3-4 good games, we could have had desean jackson catching from favre all year. get rid of coles because he is a crybaby chad sympathist..make him happy and send him to miami so they can f*ck each other for all i care. cotchery is no more than a borderline 2nd WR, and the other guys are bums. we don't need another RB..tj had a solid year, and with a new coaching regime, i'm sure he will repeat his success next year. improve the line and get another shut down corner instead of that parasite TY LAW..gimme a break, what was mangina thinking?!?!?

katnip
12-29-2008, 03:00 PM
all we need is adrian peterson... look at the vikings... at least they made the playoffs with an okay qb, bad pass defense, good run d, etc.

'cuse-213
12-29-2008, 03:41 PM
I postulate that this is the type of pointless, punitive post that produces your neg rep.

Hes just speaking the truth ;)

all we need is adrian peterson... look at the vikings... at least they made the playoffs with an okay qb, bad pass defense, good run d, etc.

True, its a good thing AD's come around so often.

Depending on the new head coach and if he switches back to a 4-3, Ill hold my opinion. But if we do switch to a 4-3, Brian Cushing. Yes.

illmatic74
01-01-2009, 08:37 PM
If the Chiefs decide Thigpen is the answer. If Hill is decided to be answer of the 49ers and the Vikings believe in Jackson. Bradford could be a possibility of the Jets.

nyjets5125
01-04-2009, 07:37 PM
what do you guys think about taylor mays for us? i konw we would probably have to trade up for him, which we have shown wer not afraid to do (clemens, revis, and keller in the past 3 yrs)

i konw him and revis are both those center field type ballhawks, but you guys think they would work well together? i really like him and think hes gonna be a great player, just dont know if him and kerry would work well

i think S is a huge need this offseason, i liked elam goign into this year but he was just terrible and teams picked on him a lot throwing his way...rhodes and revis are so good but our secondary is not gonna be able to stop anybody with just those 2 guys

derza222
01-05-2009, 12:18 AM
Depends a lot on what scheme we end up playing IMO. If we go 4-3 we'll really need all the picks we can get to replenish the front 7 with guys that fit the scheme. If we end up sticking with the 3-4 I'd be alright with it although I'd rather not trade up. The one thing Mays does really, really well is play deep centerfield and prevent big plays with his range. So his presence could allow more blitzing, more man coverage, and Rhodes to really roam around by the line of scrimmage or in coverage trying to make big plays without trying to cover Elam/Smith's ass. I like the fit but not sure trading up is the best idea...who knows maybe we get lucky and people are overrating him now and he slips to us. If not we're in good position to get a WR which is a pretty legit need.

josh07039
01-05-2009, 01:39 AM
Depends a lot on what scheme we end up playing IMO. If we go 4-3 we'll really need all the picks we can get to replenish the front 7 with guys that fit the scheme. If we end up sticking with the 3-4 I'd be alright with it although I'd rather not trade up. The one thing Mays does really, really well is play deep centerfield and prevent big plays with his range. So his presence could allow more blitzing, more man coverage, and Rhodes to really roam around by the line of scrimmage or in coverage trying to make big plays without trying to cover Elam/Smith's ass. I like the fit but not sure trading up is the best idea...who knows maybe we get lucky and people are overrating him now and he slips to us. If not we're in good position to get a WR which is a pretty legit need.I would like Mays but not in a trade up. I dont care whether we stick in the 3-4 or move to the 4-3 I'm happy to have more picks. Once again not a feasible scenario, I would love to trade down a little and nab Britt. Then grab a couple of the following DT/S/CB/all the other needs we have discussed on D.

I'd throw this all out the window if Bradford somehow falls to us I'd jump on him, even if he falls close, I'd consider moving up a bit to get him. Even though I think he may need a little time, I love the guy. The accuracy, the ability to move the pocket, the intangibles.

derza222
01-05-2009, 11:38 AM
I would like Mays but not in a trade up. I dont care whether we stick in the 3-4 or move to the 4-3 I'm happy to have more picks. Once again not a feasible scenario, I would love to trade down a little and nab Britt. Then grab a couple of the following DT/S/CB/all the other needs we have discussed on D.

I'd throw this all out the window if Bradford somehow falls to us I'd jump on him, even if he falls close, I'd consider moving up a bit to get him. Even though I think he may need a little time, I love the guy. The accuracy, the ability to move the pocket, the intangibles.

Ditto the bold, I just meant that in the 3-4 we could maybe do it while in the 4-3 there's really no way we could do it and address all our needs. And a trade down for Britt would be sweet.

Bradford I like but the fact that his wideouts are sometimes so open there's nobody else in the picture scares me some.

nyjets5125
01-05-2009, 06:13 PM
yeah if stafford, bradford, or sanchez (if they all come out) fell to us, i would definitely want that, probably is what i want most from the draft, but wouldnt want to give up too much to move up to get one

thetedginnshow
01-06-2009, 12:56 AM
I love Mays, but I highly doubt we'd go after him unless Mangini had more of a say in drafting than I assumed. I'd like Laurinaitis though and trade a later round pick for Troy Smith.

If we stayed in the 3-4, Tyson Jackson would be intriguing, as well as Maualuga or even Cushing (but Rey and Cushing would be like Mays). It's kind of hard to say what we'd do since we're kind of in a weird spot. I'd also like Vontae. If we went to the 4-3 I'd like Raji. I also really like Hakeem Nicks. He's almost my perfect receiver for us. Because of where we are the talent flow might allow us to get a real good O-Lineman though. That would be alright. OL or defense would be great with me (or Nicks). For the first round anyway.

josh07039
01-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Ditto the bold, I just meant that in the 3-4 we could maybe do it while in the 4-3 there's really no way we could do it and address all our needs. And a trade down for Britt would be sweet.

Bradford I like but the fact that his wideouts are sometimes so open there's nobody else in the picture scares me some.I just happen to have a man crush on Bradford, nothing I can do about it.

I think we may want to look at OL a little later, not round 1. We spent so much money on both 1st rounders and guys we've signed to solidify the line, I'm not sure how much more money we can dump into it with an early pick. Maybe a 4th round developmental guy to groom for RT.

derza222
01-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Has anyone seen much of Sean Smith (S/CB from Utah)? Wondering if he'd be a good fit, haven't seen him play at all but based on the fact that he's a tweener that most people think will end up at safety it seems like he could be a decent FS. Just tough to know without watching him play.

'cuse-213
01-13-2009, 04:50 PM
Has anyone seen much of Sean Smith (S/CB from Utah)? Wondering if he'd be a good fit, haven't seen him play at all but based on the fact that he's a tweener that most people think will end up at safety it seems like he could be a decent FS. Just tough to know without watching him play.

I like him also because of his versatility. Him and Lowery could battle for CB, or S.

FlutiesDropKick
01-13-2009, 10:52 PM
If we don't get any of the top WRs (Crabtree or Maclin especially.....I think where we pick might be too high for Harvin cuz his injuries, Hayward-Bay would be ehhhh) how would you feel about Juaquin Iglesias is the second?

thetedginnshow
01-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Add Lafell to my list. Doesn't look like we'll be able to get Sanchez now though that Bradford won't be in it. But oh well. I can still hope for Troy...

Crickett
01-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Im hoping for a wide receiver even though the Jets probably have bigger needs at inside linebacker and safety. I just wasn't very impressed Coles and Cotchery this past year and think Favre or whoever the Jets QB is would do better if there was a receiver who could stretch the field.

derza222
01-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Definitely less of a chance of getting a quarterback with Bradford staying. I wonder if this means we're going to see what we've got, make a move up for a guy, try and grab a potential guy in a later round, or try to acquire a guy via trade. It'll be interesting to follow, especially depending on who ends up coaching.

LaFell intrigues me, though I agree with Crickett I'd like a wideout who stretches the field despite bigger needs at ILB and FS. We may be in a good position to grab one as well, but obviously a lot still has to happen between now and the draft. I also really hope Brandon Spikes declares just in case because I think he'd be a monster behind Jenkins and next to Harris.

thetedginnshow
01-14-2009, 06:13 PM
If I really had my choice, we'd either get Maualuga, Spikes, or a WR. And they aren't exactly burners, but Nicks and Lafell can stretch the field, something similar to Boldin and Ward. I know, not exactly sexy names for field stretchers, but they can get the job done. If we got a true burner type, I really only would like Maclin.

I think we'll get what we want this year though. We seem to be a little better at selecting guys in the second half of the first.

thetedginnshow
01-14-2009, 06:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK_SxTr4jZs&feature=related

This guy might do nicely as our token stud 4th rounder. Maybe Lowery can put in a good word for him.

nyjets5125
01-14-2009, 07:26 PM
recently ive decided that my top choice for the draft is sanchez, and with bradford rerturning it looks very unlikely that him or stafford will fall down to us, but i wouldnt mind trading up for one of them, especially sanchez...i would like maclin cuz we need some gamebreakers other than leon who can only do so much...really pissed mays is going back befcause him and sanchez were my top 2...i would like spikes or mauluga for us...if malcolm jenkins falls we almost need to take him unless one of those 2 qbs is there, but i would also like vontae davis there...what you guys think well do about RB? personally i would like to wait till next year to draft one and get one relatively early based on jones performance this year cuz hes 30 now and that seems to be the age for RBs to start declining, but i wouldnt mind brining in someone later on but only once we fill all of our needs

Crickett
01-14-2009, 07:37 PM
recently ive decided that my top choice for the draft is sanchez, and with bradford rerturning it looks very unlikely that him or stafford will fall down to us, but i wouldnt mind trading up for one of them, especially sanchez...i would like maclin cuz we need some gamebreakers other than leon who can only do so much...really pissed mays is going back befcause him and sanchez were my top 2...i would like spikes or mauluga for us...if malcolm jenkins falls we almost need to take him unless one of those 2 qbs is there, but i would also like vontae davis there...what you guys think well do about RB? personally i would like to wait till next year to draft one and get one relatively early based on jones performance this year cuz hes 30 now and that seems to be the age for RBs to start declining, but i wouldnt mind brining in someone later on but only once we fill all of our needs

After what has happened with Matt Leinart and Josh David Booty, I'm not a fan of drafting Sanchez, especially with what the Jets have at WR. I'm not upset Mays decided to return because I don't think there was any way the Jets got him without giving up the farm to trade up.

If the Jets take a middle linebacker, that would be good seeing as how Eric Barton is getting older and is a free agent. Looking at the first round, linebacker and wide receiver appear to be the two strongest positions which is perfect for the Jets who need both.

Earlier in the year, I was much more open to the Jets drafting a running back than I am now. Thomas Jones and Leon were both pro bowlers and while running back is a need due to Jones' age, other needs have supplanted it in importance. The only way I'd be happy with a running back in the first is if it was Beanie Wells.

derza222
01-14-2009, 07:55 PM
If I really had my choice, we'd either get Maualuga, Spikes, or a WR. And they aren't exactly burners, but Nicks and Lafell can stretch the field, something similar to Boldin and Ward. I know, not exactly sexy names for field stretchers, but they can get the job done. If we got a true burner type, I really only would like Maclin.

I think we'll get what we want this year though. We seem to be a little better at selecting guys in the second half of the first.

I like Maualuga as well but Spikes just a little bit better, again I hope he comes out because that gives us more options. If Heyward-Bey shows hands in workouts I have no major issue but I really, really prefer Maclin. I'd be a little disappointed if we passed on Maclin and not at all disappointed if we passed on DHB.

I prefer LaFell to Nicks by a little bit but still do like both. LaFell could be great for us in a run-first, possession oriented offense. Still think we'd need somebody to stretch the field, but maybe given the chance Clowney can be that guy. Or we can take a flier in a later round.

thetedginnshow
01-14-2009, 08:03 PM
I think we'll pick up a RB later on in the draft. I'd like a guy like Rashad Jennings. If our draft went Maualuga/Spikes, Nicks/Lafell, Gilbert, then Jennings, I'd be an awfully happy camper.

Does anyone know the status of our draft picks? Are we gaining or losing anything for sure yet? I have to assume the Saints are going to do something that's going to prevent us from getting their 2nd.

derza222
01-14-2009, 08:25 PM
I think we'll pick up a RB later on in the draft. I'd like a guy like Rashad Jennings. If our draft went Maualuga/Spikes, Nicks/Lafell, Gilbert, then Jennings, I'd be an awfully happy camper.

Does anyone know the status of our draft picks? Are we gaining or losing anything for sure yet? I have to assume the Saints are going to do something that's going to prevent us from getting their 2nd.

I absolutely agree with that.

Looks like we're getting New Orleans' third for Vilma and giving them our fourth back to replace their fourth from last year. They needed to extend him for us to get a second as far as I know so they can just give him a shot once free agency opens back up and only have to give us the third. Then we'll get Washington's fourth, if Favre retires we get the Green Bay seventh in 2010, and I think that just about settles it.

thetedginnshow
01-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Oh. I didn't know it'd be a third then. I just thought it'd be a 2nd or nothing. Well that's fine I guess. But why would we get Washington's 2nd again?

derza222
01-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Oh. I didn't know it'd be a third then. I just thought it'd be a 2nd or nothing. Well that's fine I guess. But why would we get Washington's 2nd again?

Sorry, I'm an idiot and just typoed. We get their fourth for Kendall, I think it would've been a fifth in '09 but given how many snaps he played it upgraded to a fourth this year.

nyjets5125
01-15-2009, 07:12 PM
yeah idk what will happen if they re-sign vilma because i'm almost positive they owe the giants a 2nd rounder this year for shockey...

o and btw, i heard spikes said hes goign back to school which is very dissapoiting cuz i think he wouldve been great and also increased the depth at LB and the chances we get a good one...same reason im pissed about bradford, even though i wouldnt want him as bad as sanchez or stafford, it makes it very unlikely one of them would slip to us

as for comparing leinart to sanchez, leinharts arm was a always a question, whereas sanchezs is a big strength

is dewayne robertson definitely nothing now?

as for QB, assuming we cant get stafford or sanchez, what would you guys think about taking someone like josh freeman or nate davis at some poitn between our 1st and 2nd round pick? i dont think i would mind that depending on whos left of course

Crickett
01-15-2009, 08:05 PM
yeah idk what will happen if they re-sign vilma because i'm almost positive they owe the giants a 2nd rounder this year for shockey...

Their second rounder goes to us and the Giants get their 2010 first rounder.

What I'd like to know is what happens if they sign Vilma after the draft?

derza222
01-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Their second rounder goes to us and the Giants get their 2010 first rounder.

What I'd like to know is what happens if they sign Vilma after the draft?

I'm pretty sure even if they sign him as an unrestricted free agent the day free agency starts we get the third and the Giants get the second. Unless I'm wrong we only get upgraded to a second if they extend him, and that's not going to happen because they won't want to give the Giants their first in 2010.

nyjets5125
01-17-2009, 11:45 PM
I'm pretty sure even if they sign him as an unrestricted free agent the day free agency starts we get the third and the Giants get the second. Unless I'm wrong we only get upgraded to a second if they extend him, and that's not going to happen because they won't want to give the Giants their first in 2010.

it goes a 1st in 2010?

derza222
01-18-2009, 12:13 AM
it goes a 1st in 2010?

Basically, the Saints owe the Giants their second this year for Shockey and us their third for Vilma. Only if they extend Vilma, that third gets upgraded to a second, and they only have one second. So we'd get their second this year ('09) and since the Giants wouldn't get anything and would have to wait a year their pick would upgrade to a first in 2010. None of this really matters though, because if they re-sign Vilma they'll just wait till free agency starts so they don't lose their first next year. Basically from their perspective if they extend him they give up a 2010 first, and if they don't they give up a 2009 third, so it's a pretty easy call to wait till free agency starts. Not sure why Tannenbaum allowed them that loophole because they can basically have a deal in principle and then sign it once FA starts unless there's more to the trade than I know, but at this point nothing we can do.

Crickett
01-18-2009, 12:17 AM
Basically from their perspective if they extend him they give up a 2010 first, and if they don't they give up a 2009 third, so it's a pretty easy call to wait till free agency starts. Not sure why Tannenbaum allowed them that loophole because they can basically have a deal in principle and then sign it once FA starts unless there's more to the trade than I know, but at this point nothing we can do.

I suppose because its not a given that he would re-sign with the Saints if he hit free agency, making him just a one year rental. Sure, he can sign with the Saints, but he could've signed with the Saints anyway in free agency.

derza222
01-19-2009, 02:06 PM
I suppose because its not a given that he would re-sign with the Saints if he hit free agency, making him just a one year rental. Sure, he can sign with the Saints, but he could've signed with the Saints anyway in free agency.

True, I guess the thing is if the Saints have a deal worked out with him in principle but he doesn't sign it till free agency it's basically an extension only not for the purposes of the trade.

Now here's a question that if I could get a specific answer to it would be great. Kerry Rhodes I (and I think some other people here) have assumed is our strong safety. Only when I look at his nfl.com page and our depth chart it has him listed as a free safety. I think he was a strong safety on the Pro Bowl ballot though. So what's the deal? Is he a SS or a FS? That obviously makes a big difference when it comes to the draft because if he's a FS then a guy like William Moore makes more sense if he doesn't continue to drop like a lead balloon. Also, with Rex Ryan coming in I figure Rhodes can play a kind of Ed Reed role for the defense so I checked what Reed is listed as and their depth chart has him listed as a FS also. So some clarification would be awesome since it is relatively important as far as how we're going to address the need there.

GET LOOSE
01-19-2009, 04:25 PM
This draft is intresting 4 us because we can go in a few different ways but I would hope we go with either a DE, WR, or CB. I am not sold on any QBs except 4 Stafford and he will definitly be gone.

I would like any of these players in there respected positions in the 1st 2 rounds (even if we have 2 trade up 4 them).

Qb) Stafford (really think we should stick with wut we have and hope Clemens or Bret Ratliff can step up)
HB) Bennie Wells, Shonn Green (not a huge need but would be a nice option 2 give us a pounder with Washington since Jones is getting up there in age)
Wr) Crabtree, Maclin, Britt, LaFell(a fast or big WR would b nice to have and there are a few good 1s in this draft)
DE) T.Jackson(only 1 DE that makes sense here)
LB) Maualuga, Brian Cushing, James Laurinaitis, (we could use a ILB but were not in trouble at LB)
Cb) Malcolm Jenkins, Vontae Davis, Sean Smith (we need some1 opposite of Revis. Teams abused our #2 Cb all year long and i am really getting tired of it)
S) William Moore, Rashad Johnson (I thought Elam or Smith would step up but none were consistant so some1 next 2 Rhodes who could catch the ball would b nice beacuse our defense needs 2 get interceptions a little more often)

thetedginnshow
01-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Oh just so we know, LaFell is going back to school.

derza222
01-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Oh just so we know, LaFell is going back to school.

Yeah I saw, I was bummed. Maybe next year if we ignore the need again...

GET LOOSE, I do think safety and ILB are bigger needs than corner and DE. A good safety can help mask some deficiencies in a #2 corner along with allowing Rhodes more freedom and we just haven't gotten good play out of the position the past few years. It's probably our worst starting position period. And inside linebacker we have Barton as an FA without much money to re-sign him and a new coach coming in so he's probably gone and I'm not comfortable with anyone else on our roster starting next to Harris.

Crickett
01-19-2009, 05:08 PM
This draft is intresting 4 us because we can go in a few different ways but I would hope we go with either a DE, WR, or CB. I am not sold on any QBs except 4 Stafford and he will definitly be gone.

I would like any of these players in there respected positions in the 1st 2 rounds (even if we have 2 trade up 4 them).

Qb) Stafford (really think we should stick with wut we have and hope Clemens or Bret Ratliff can step up)
HB) Bennie Wells, Shonn Green (not a huge need but would be a nice option 2 give us a pounder with Washington since Jones is getting up there in age)
Wr) Crabtree, Maclin, Britt, LaFell(a fast or big WR would b nice to have and there are a few good 1s in this draft)
DE) T.Jackson(only 1 DE that makes sense here)
LB) Maualuga, Brian Cushing, James Laurinaitis, (we could use a ILB but were not in trouble at LB)
Cb) Malcolm Jenkins, Vontae Davis, Sean Smith (we need some1 opposite of Revis. Teams abused our #2 Cb all year long and i am really getting tired of it)
S) William Moore, Rashad Johnson (I thought Elam or Smith would step up but none were consistant so some1 next 2 Rhodes who could catch the ball would b nice beacuse our defense needs 2 get interceptions a little more often)

The only RB I'd be happy with in the first round is Chris Wells. I think Shonn Greene will be available much later than he should be and if the Jets can get him in the third and fourth can be that team thats drafts the starting caliber running back in the mid rounds this year I'd be happy.

I'd prefer if the Jets drafted a fast wide receiver of a tall possession receiver. Although Maclin at 6'1 or DHB at 6'3 on the Jets roster would instantly be both the tallest and fastest starting caliber WR the Jets have. Crabtree will be long gone by the time the Jets pick.

Tyson Jackson is a player I would have been happy with a few months ago, but I see DE as a much lesser need than I did a while ago.

Eric Barton being a free agent makes ILB a pressing need IMO. Elam is a free agent too.

derza222
01-19-2009, 05:30 PM
I <3 Shonn Greene. Hope he runs like a 4.6 and slips to us in the fourth round, he's going to be very solid in the NFL.

Also agree with everything else you said.

jetvilma51
01-19-2009, 05:43 PM

I think if we draft Sean Smith, we move him to Saftey. This guy could play corner but I think he fits in at saftey for us alot better.

derza222
01-19-2009, 06:05 PM
I think if we draft Sean Smith, we move him to Saftey. This guy could play corner but I think he fits in at saftey for us alot better.

Absolutely agreed.

nyjets5125
01-20-2009, 04:22 PM
True, I guess the thing is if the Saints have a deal worked out with him in principle but he doesn't sign it till free agency it's basically an extension only not for the purposes of the trade.

Now here's a question that if I could get a specific answer to it would be great. Kerry Rhodes I (and I think some other people here) have assumed is our strong safety. Only when I look at his nfl.com page and our depth chart it has him listed as a free safety. I think he was a strong safety on the Pro Bowl ballot though. So what's the deal? Is he a SS or a FS? That obviously makes a big difference when it comes to the draft because if he's a FS then a guy like William Moore makes more sense if he doesn't continue to drop like a lead balloon. Also, with Rex Ryan coming in I figure Rhodes can play a kind of Ed Reed role for the defense so I checked what Reed is listed as and their depth chart has him listed as a FS also. So some clarification would be awesome since it is relatively important as far as how we're going to address the need there.

i was confused about the same thing with rhodes and really i think he could be used as either but im not sure what the team uses/views him as...

i said the same about rhodes playing the ed reed role but i was hoping in the 1st round of this draft we could get taylor mays to do thta or brandon spikes to play the ray lewis role...but there both going back which i was really dissapointed with

BroadwayJoe10
01-20-2009, 04:50 PM

In the system we have been using our FS and SS are generally interchangeable, it usually depends on the play calling. For our drafting it would be basically finding someone who's strengths compliment Rhodes' weaknesses and vice versa.

derza222
01-20-2009, 05:07 PM
In the system we have been using our FS and SS are generally interchangeable, it usually depends on the play calling. For our drafting it would be basically finding someone who's strengths compliment Rhodes' weaknesses and vice versa.

It's tough though with Rhodes. He's solid in run support and a great blitzer but isn't really a scary hitter, and he's got nice ball skills but isn't great in coverage. So is the better fit a guy like William Moore or Patrick Chung that could really smack guys when they come across the middle and make some plays on the ball also, or a coverage guy like S/CB tweener Sean Smith of Utah? Rashad Johnson can do a lot of things also so I think he fits regardless I'm trying to look more at opposite ends of the spectrum here.

thetedginnshow
01-20-2009, 05:24 PM
I say it's more important to find someone that can play center field and allow Rhodes to go wherever he pleases. Covering up his deficiencies in coverage are more important than getting a guy that can lay the wood IMO. If we want a big hitter, we should be trying our hardest to draft a certain Polynesian.

derza222
01-20-2009, 05:29 PM
I say it's more important to find someone that can play center field and allow Rhodes to go wherever he pleases. Covering up his deficiencies in coverage are more important than getting a guy that can lay the wood IMO. If we want a big hitter, we should be trying our hardest to draft a certain Polynesian.

Agreed. Sean Smith is probably the best option there but I think Rashad Johnson is solid as well and I know you agree. If Smith rises he's gone by our second rounder anyway, though I think Johnson very well could be also. Maualuga could absolutely be a stud for us I've really been warming up to him though I like Sintim also.

nyjets5125
01-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Agreed. Sean Smith is probably the best option there but I think Rashad Johnson is solid as well and I know you agree. If Smith rises he's gone by our second rounder anyway, though I think Johnson very well could be also. Maualuga could absolutely be a stud for us I've really been warming up to him though I like Sintim also.

yeah maulugas intensity i think would be a great fit in ryans system, and he would be a great compliment to david harris

derza222
01-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Scott had us talking to Derrick Williams, Nic Harris, and Larry English. English and Harris don't make much sense to me unless English moves inside and I'm not really sure where we'd think Harris could fit in the 3-4 and he doesn't seem to have the speed to move to safety. Williams is interesting because he is a speedy wideout though his lack of production is never something you like to see.

thetedginnshow
01-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Scott had us talking to Derrick Williams, Nic Harris, and Larry English. English and Harris don't make much sense to me unless English moves inside and I'm not really sure where we'd think Harris could fit in the 3-4 and he doesn't seem to have the speed to move to safety. Williams is interesting because he is a speedy wideout though his lack of production is never something you like to see.

Well if you look at last year, we didn't even take anyone we looked at. Who knows though. I do wonder who is actually representing us though.

BroadwayJoe10
01-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Well if you look at last year, we didn't even take anyone we looked at. Who knows though. I do wonder who is actually representing us though.

Ya I've always wondered what the teams look at as far as prospects at the senior bowl...it really would be interesting to see who they drafted compared to the players they looked at.

BroadwayJoe10
01-21-2009, 10:07 PM
yeah maulugas intensity i think would be a great fit in ryans system, and he would be a great compliment to david harris

I like rey rey, but i just don't think he compliments harris very well. He has seemed very stiff and pretty poor in coverage and that is one of the things our linebackers were lacking. We desperately need a linebacker who can cover better on the crossing routes.

derza222
01-21-2009, 10:27 PM

True, I meant to say that and it just slipped my mind. The players we looked at didn't entirely indicate the positions we were looking at, but did to an extent.

I like rey rey, but i just don't think he compliments harris very well. He has seemed very stiff and pretty poor in coverage and that is one of the things our linebackers were lacking. We desperately need a linebacker who can cover better on the crossing routes.

I don't think he compliments Harris all that well but I think in this attacking defense we could definitely get away with having those two in the middle. That said there's talk of him going #6 so I really doubt we're going to have a shot at him anyway.

JETS5128
01-22-2009, 02:13 PM
Quick little dream mock

1.Maualaga
2.Rashad Johnson
3.Derrick Williams
4.Andre Brown

GET LOOSE
01-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Quick little dream mock

1.Maualaga
2.Rashad Johnson
3.Derrick Williams
4.Andre Brown

man if that happened or somthing even close 2 dat I would go nuts. But hey u never know we could have a draft similar 2 dat.

nyjets5125
01-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Quick little dream mock

1.Maualaga
2.Rashad Johnson
3.Derrick Williams
4.Andre Brown

thatd be pretty awesome, i highly doubt wiliams falls to the 3rd but if he did thatd be great...mauluaga and johnson i dont think will fall to our pick in those rounds either but they defintely could...i would defintely lik ethat though fills our biggest needs IMO

nyjets5125
01-22-2009, 05:02 PM

i wouldnt mind williams in the 2nd and if hes in the 3rd i would definitely be for that...english would fit very well as OLB in our 3-4 i think, and i really see a good chance that we got for him in the mid rounds if we do let bryan thomas go...harris, coudl see uslooking at him to team up with harris at ILB since hes got coverage instincts but idk how i would feel about hat, i guess depends when we would take him, if its late im all for it

derza222
01-22-2009, 05:58 PM
i wouldnt mind williams in the 2nd and if hes in the 3rd i would definitely be for that...english would fit very well as OLB in our 3-4 i think, and i really see a good chance that we got for him in the mid rounds if we do let bryan thomas go...harris, coudl see uslooking at him to team up with harris at ILB since hes got coverage instincts but idk how i would feel about hat, i guess depends when we would take him, if its late im all for it

English I think is a top two round guy and unless we're ready to proclaim Gholston a bust and cut Thomas on top of that he probably isn't a starter behind Thomas and/or Gholston and Pace as well. Harris just seems light to me for an ILB in the 3-4, his coverage instincts are nice but I'm not sold he's going to be able to shed and make plays converting from safety to 3-4 ILB. Look at the struggles Vilma had in the scheme and I'd imagine Harris will have even more trouble with the same kind of stuff.

nyjets5125
01-22-2009, 09:41 PM
English I think is a top two round guy and unless we're ready to proclaim Gholston a bust and cut Thomas on top of that he probably isn't a starter behind Thomas and/or Gholston and Pace as well. Harris just seems light to me for an ILB in the 3-4, his coverage instincts are nice but I'm not sold he's going to be able to shed and make plays converting from safety to 3-4 ILB. Look at the struggles Vilma had in the scheme and I'd imagine Harris will have even more trouble with the same kind of stuff.

about harris, yeah theres a very good chance he doesnt pan out, but if we put him into positions to be more of a coverage LB and let the others blitz and play up on the line more, i think he could have some impact, probably more as a rotational guy though

derza222
01-22-2009, 10:01 PM
about harris, yeah theres a very good chance he doesnt pan out, but if we put him into positions to be more of a coverage LB and let the others blitz and play up on the line more, i think he could have some impact, probably more as a rotational guy though

Right I get where you're saying, I just think he has more value in a 4-3 than a 3-4 so we may have to draft him in say the 3rd round or so to get him ahead of 4-3 teams, but his value wouldn't quite be there for us.

thetedginnshow
01-23-2009, 02:06 AM
I would be very sad if Derrick Williams was on our team.

derza222
01-23-2009, 03:48 PM
I would be very sad if Derrick Williams was on our team.

He'll be taken before he's worth it IMO so hopefully we're not the team to pull the trigger there.

Kiper's got us taking Harvin at 17 in his mock, what would you guys think of that if it actually happened?

Also, how would you feel about potentially trading down (Bears have some pretty well-defined needs so it wouldn't be surprising to see a team jump ahead of them is say...an OL slipped) and grabbing a guy like Delmas?

Finally, thoughts on Laurinaitis inside a 3-4?

GET LOOSE
01-23-2009, 08:29 PM
He'll be taken before he's worth it IMO so hopefully we're not the team to pull the trigger there.

Kiper's got us taking Harvin at 17 in his mock, what would you guys think of that if it actually happened?

Also, how would you feel about potentially trading down (Bears have some pretty well-defined needs so it wouldn't be surprising to see a team jump ahead of them is say...an OL slipped) and grabbing a guy like Delmas?

Finally, thoughts on Laurinaitis inside a 3-4?

I would be very dissapointed with drafting Harvin mostly because of his injury problems. Trading down is not a terrible idea but i think there will b a player we can really use at 17 so i think we just stay there. and I think Laurinatis can work in the 3-4 and would not mind drafting him

josh07039
01-23-2009, 10:12 PM
I would be very dissapointed with drafting Harvin mostly because of his injury problems. Trading down is not a terrible idea but i think there will b a player we can really use at 17 so i think we just stay there. and I think Laurinatis can work in the 3-4 and would not mind drafting himI would not be incredibly opposed to Laurinaitis. He may be a better fit for the 4-3, but with his intelligence and speed, he could be a good fit next to Harris if he has good coverage skills. I actually don't know how his coverage skills are, if someone could tell me that would be great because all year I've noticed how many times Harris got beaten in coverage.

Also, based on his stock I'm not sure it would be good value to take him at 17.

nyjets5125
01-24-2009, 09:26 AM
yeah 17 might be too high for him right now but i wouldnt be opposed to taking him, especially if we traded down a bit

JETS5128
01-24-2009, 11:43 AM
I haven't really seen enough of Laurinitis to form a real opinion on him, but i would love the idea of taking Delmas

derza222
01-24-2009, 03:05 PM
The more I think about it the more I'm inclined to believe we're going to move around on draft day early. If you look at our big needs right now (S, ILB, WR, to an extent CB, DE, NT, and QB fits in somewhere as well) we could have a hard time finding a good value at 17. Maualuga, Crabtree, Maclin, Malcolm Jenkins, Raji, Stafford, and Sanchez could all very realistically be gone at 17 and odds are we're only going to be focused on a couple of guys. If they are guys like Rashad Johnson, Delmas, maybe Sintim or Laurinaitis, Nicks, Heyward-Bey, any of the tier 2 corners, Tyson Jackson, and Freeman are in all likelihood reaches at 17. So unless one of the first few guys mentioned slips and we get lucky we'll probably have to trade down (and could be in a position to ahead of the Bears if somebody wants to grab an OL or something), and if one of those first few is "our guy" we'll probably have to move up to secure him. For whatever reason I just can't see us sticking at our spot this year.

GET LOOSE
01-24-2009, 05:34 PM
The more I think about it the more I'm inclined to believe we're going to move around on draft day early. If you look at our big needs right now (S, ILB, WR, to an extent CB, DE, NT, and QB fits in somewhere as well) we could have a hard time finding a good value at 17. Maualuga, Crabtree, Maclin, Malcolm Jenkins, Raji, Stafford, and Sanchez could all very realistically be gone at 17 and odds are we're only going to be focused on a couple of guys. If they are guys like Rashad Johnson, Delmas, maybe Sintim or Laurinaitis, Nicks, Heyward-Bey, any of the tier 2 corners, Tyson Jackson, and Freeman are in all likelihood reaches at 17. So unless one of the first few guys mentioned slips and we get lucky we'll probably have to trade down (and could be in a position to ahead of the Bears if somebody wants to grab an OL or something), and if one of those first few is "our guy" we'll probably have to move up to secure him. For whatever reason I just can't see us sticking at our spot this year.

I dont mind trading down as long its 2 draft a player who is a playmaker and can blow the game open because besides Washington we really dont have a guy like that. Coles is past his prime and Cotch is more of a possesion reciver that will be solid every game.

Crickett
01-24-2009, 06:08 PM

I think the Jets are going to move too, but probably not for the same reasons as you.

I do think one of Jeremy Maclin, William Moore, James Laurinitis, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Vontae Davis or Tyson Jackson will be there are the Jets would be inclined to take them (even if I'm not thrilled with Jackson or Davis as the pick).

However, the Jets have been notorious for trading up the past few years to get who they want early on. So the Jets could very well use a third or a fourth to trade up in the first round if there is something they're targeting. Especially since the last time the Jets drafted an impact player in the third round was Kareem McKenzie in 2001.

derza222
01-24-2009, 07:34 PM
I think the Jets are going to move too, but probably not for the same reasons as you.

I do think one of Jeremy Maclin, William Moore, James Laurinitis, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Vontae Davis or Tyson Jackson will be there are the Jets would be inclined to take them (even if I'm not thrilled with Jackson or Davis as the pick).

However, the Jets have been notorious for trading up the past few years to get who they want early on. So the Jets could very well use a third or a fourth to trade up in the first round if there is something they're targeting. Especially since the last time the Jets drafted an impact player in the third round was Kareem McKenzie in 2001.

I'll be honest I wouldn't be incredibly thrilled with Heyward-Bey or Laurinaitis either (though if the staff thinks JL can do it then I'll be alright with it I guess) because of value and fit, and William Moore I don't think presents the value either. So basically of that list the only guy I'd be really happy with is Maclin, and I'm afraid he's going to be gone.

thetedginnshow
01-24-2009, 09:05 PM
I think considering that there's about 3 or 4 teams ahead of us that seem to have almost the exact same needs as us, I feel like we're going to trade up in the 2nd round since that obviously would be less expensive than going up in the 1st. And we'd have to count on a stud dropping down in the 1st because otherwise, it's really hard to trade down. I don't know. We'll see.

BroadwayJoe10
01-24-2009, 10:44 PM
I think considering that there's about 3 or 4 teams ahead of us that seem to have almost the exact same needs as us, I feel like we're going to trade up in the 2nd round since that obviously would be less expensive than going up in the 1st. And we'd have to count on a stud dropping down in the 1st because otherwise, it's really hard to trade down. I don't know. We'll see.

It should be interesting to see which direction we go in. For the first time in a couple years I have no idea what player or position we will be targeting. We have made good picks in the middle and end of the 1st round, so i'm not anticipating anything differently.

It's also a fairly deep draft overall, especially with OTs, so hopefully teams will go with Oline first and have someone we need fall to us.

Additionally, Gholsten is like another first rounder this year, in that I am probably anticipating seeing him play more than anyone we draft.

thetedginnshow
01-24-2009, 10:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXDSPbZ_OUw&feature=related

That's just crazy.

derza222
01-25-2009, 12:23 AM

I think the only way we'd have a shot at trading down is if teams ahead of us skip out on other needs to take skill guys that we would want to draft, and a top OL (Oher maybe?) slips down to our spot. In that case I could see some team in the late first (more than a couple there could use a good tackle) try to leapfrog ahead of the Bears. Or perhaps if a good end slips, though I don't see as many late first teams needing one. Wells/Moreno are really the only other candidates I could see, or if some pure 4-3 guy that we won't have an interest in drops down to our spot.

thetedginnshow
01-25-2009, 12:39 AM
I would not be incredibly opposed to Laurinaitis. He may be a better fit for the 4-3, but with his intelligence and speed, he could be a good fit next to Harris if he has good coverage skills. I actually don't know how his coverage skills are, if someone could tell me that would be great because all year I've noticed how many times Harris got beaten in coverage.

Also, based on his stock I'm not sure it would be good value to take him at 17.

Hands down, Laurinaitis is the best coverage linebacker in this draft. There's no question about that. His instincts are phenomenal. I've seen him 20-30 yards down field with receivers. Great hands as well, so he can be counted on to make the interception. He'd actually be a very good fit next to Harris. I think though, the issue with him is that he's going to need some upper body strength. A lot of people say he's the most "finished" of all the linebackers, but I really don't think so. I think that he could be the safest pick out of them, but if he was able to add a considerable amount of upper body strength, you'd see a whole hell of a lot more solo tackles by him.

juiceman32
01-25-2009, 01:27 PM
I honestly don't know who I want in the first round. I don't even know what position we should address. Arguments can be made for corner, safety, wide receiver, defensive end, running back, and even quarterback if someone falls to us. The only thing I do know is the only QB I want is Sanchez . I think he is a much better prospect than Leinart coming out and taking him would be ok with me.

here's some random thoughts on who I want in the lower rounds.

I love RB Andre Brown, and if we can get him in the third round I would be so pumped. He is very physical runner who did not get as many touches as he should have at North Carolina State, but I think he can be a very productive back after Jones is done with the Jets. I have watched a bunch of NC State games over the years, as I love the ACC (UNC is my favorite team), and I have always liked Brown's running style. He just has a toughness factor to him that would complement Leon perfectly.

DT Ron Brace in the third or fourth, as he would hopefully be able to give Jenkins a break and I think would be an upgrade over Pouha. I hate Pouha I think he is the biggest P***y in the world. He has all the size in the world and I see him get driven downfield every time he is in. He is terrible and I want him gone or at least a replacement so he never has to touch the field.

DE Jarron Gilbert, who is in the video above, is also an intriguing prospect. I don't know if we would invest in another OLB-DE rusher but he ha great physical tools. I saw a thread on him in the 2009 Draft Forum and he looks like the real deal.

WR Brooks Foster in the fourth or fifth. I have followed UNC football for as long as I can remember and this kid has a great athleticism and is also very strong. He would be a developmental guy, as I don't think he could contribute right away, but if we can get him with our second 4th rounder I would be happy.

Another from UNC who I like is WR Brandon Tate. He never did much as a receiver until his senior year when he exploded until a torn ACL ended his season. If he can come back 100%, then I would definitely take him in the fourth. He can stretch the field, has good hands, and is amazing after the catch. This is a guy who was a prolific return man and owns several NCAA return records. He just has a knack for big-plays and is someone to watch on draft day

What other late round (and by that I mean past 1-2 rounds) prospects do you guys like?

GET LOOSE
01-25-2009, 01:42 PM
It should be interesting to see which direction we go in. For the first time in a couple years I have no idea what player or position we will be targeting. We have made good picks in the middle and end of the 1st round, so i'm not anticipating anything differently.

It's also a fairly deep draft overall, especially with OTs, so hopefully teams will go with Oline first and have someone we need fall to us.

Additionally, Gholsten is like another first rounder this year, in that I am probably anticipating seeing him play more than anyone we draft.

Lol same here I predicted Gholston last year and Revis the year before but this year we have a lot of choices and I wouldnt be upset with any of them. trading up is not a bad idea and we can go after a WR, LB, HB, S or CB and they all would make sense.

thetedginnshow
01-25-2009, 03:18 PM
I honestly don't know who I want in the first round. I don't even know what position we should address. Arguments can be made for corner, safety, wide receiver, defensive end, running back, and even quarterback if someone falls to us. The only thing I do know is the only QB I want is Sanchez . I think he is a much better prospect than Leinart coming out and taking him would be ok with me.

here's some random thoughts on who I want in the lower rounds.

I love RB Andre Brown, and if we can get him in the third round I would be so pumped. He is very physical runner who did not get as many touches as he should have at North Carolina State, but I think he can be a very productive back after Jones is done with the Jets. I have watched a bunch of NC State games over the years, as I love the ACC (UNC is my favorite team), and I have always liked Brown's running style. He just has a toughness factor to him that would complement Leon perfectly.

DT Ron Brace in the third or fourth, as he would hopefully be able to give Jenkins a break and I think would be an upgrade over Pouha. I hate Pouha I think he is the biggest P***y in the world. He has all the size in the world and I see him get driven downfield every time he is in. He is terrible and I want him gone or at least a replacement so he never has to touch the field.

DE Jarron Gilbert, who is in the video above, is also an intriguing prospect. I don't know if we would invest in another OLB-DE rusher but he ha great physical tools. I saw a thread on him in the 2009 Draft Forum and he looks like the real deal.

WR Brooks Foster in the fourth or fifth. I have followed UNC football for as long as I can remember and this kid has a great athleticism and is also very strong. He would be a developmental guy, as I don't think he could contribute right away, but if we can get him with our second 4th rounder I would be happy.

Another from UNC who I like is WR Brandon Tate. He never did much as a receiver until his senior year when he exploded until a torn ACL ended his season. If he can come back 100%, then I would definitely take him in the fourth. He can stretch the field, has good hands, and is amazing after the catch. This is a guy who was a prolific return man and owns several NCAA return records. He just has a knack for big-plays and is someone to watch on draft day

What other late round (and by that I mean past 1-2 rounds) prospects do you guys like?

The only UNC receiver I'd want is Nicks. Haha.

But uh... I like Gilbert, I like Brown, and I like Rashad Jennings. I also like Quinn Johnson and Chip Vaughn, as well as Quan Cosby and Jaison Williams. Victor Butler, Jason Williams, Jarius Byrd, and Worrell Williams are interesting as well. If Mike Mickens or Shonn Greene dropped I'd have interest in them also.

GET LOOSE
01-25-2009, 03:49 PM
possible players I would like to draft

HB) Bennie, Shonn Green, Rashad Jennings and my boy PJ Hill
WR) Crabtree, Maclin, Britt
DE) T.Jackson, Evander Hood and Sen'Derrick Marks could move from DT
Ilb) Rey, Laurinaitis, Jasper Brinkley, Worrell Williams
CB) Jenkins, Vontae Davis, Sean Smith (could move him to safty as well)
S) William Moore, Rashad Johnson, Patrick Chung, Nic Harris

Im not sure of all our draft picks so if someone could tell me all of them that would be great

derza222
01-25-2009, 04:12 PM
The only UNC receiver I'd want is Nicks. Haha.

But uh... I like Gilbert, I like Brown, and I like Rashad Jennings. I also like Quinn Johnson and Chip Vaughn, as well as Quan Cosby and Jaison Williams. Victor Butler, Jason Williams, Jarius Byrd, and Worrell Williams are interesting as well. If Mike Mickens or Shonn Greene dropped I'd have interest in them also.

I'm a big fan of Gilbert, Brown, Jennings, Vaughn, and Worrell Williams, and Quan Cosby intrigues me also. Gilbert, Brown, and especially Vaughn are probably my favorites of that group. I also think Roy Miller is an interesting mid-round potential NT although he's a little light but has good technique for it, DeMonte Boldin is interesting as an end in the later rounds, Tiquan Underwood and Mike Wallace at WR, and I wouldn't mind a punter either to solidify the position.

nyjets5125
01-25-2009, 04:25 PM
to me ramses barden is an interesting prospect to bring in late in the draft...i dont konw much about him, but we still dont have a real great red zone reciever, im hoping keller can be that, but bardens got thr size and leaping ability to be a trheat there...dont get me wrong, hes not the gamebreaking recieer we need, but hes a guy that we could use just as a red zone or short yardagge guy late in the draft

thetedginnshow
01-25-2009, 04:32 PM
I'm a big fan of Gilbert, Brown, Jennings, Vaughn, and Worrell Williams, and Quan Cosby intrigues me also. Gilbert, Brown, and especially Vaughn are probably my favorites of that group. I also think Roy Miller is an interesting mid-round potential NT although he's a little light but has good technique for it, DeMonte Boldin is interesting as an end in the later rounds, Tiquan Underwood and Mike Wallace at WR, and I wouldn't mind a punter either to solidify the position.

I like some of the DL you talked about, but I don't know about the WRs. Neither of those guys are particularly big and we already have Stuckey and Clowney.

derza222
01-25-2009, 05:04 PM
I like some of the DL you talked about, but I don't know about the WRs. Neither of those guys are particularly big and we already have Stuckey and Clowney.

Well Underwood isn't exactly bulky but he is around 6'2, quite fast and he's very good after the catch. Wallace is probably a little too similar to Clowney to make sense but I still think we desperately need speed at the position. Height would be nice too, I guess. Forgot to mention Ramses Barden if the value's right, I'm not nearly sold on him but he really intrigues me. More wideouts I had forgotten but really think are interesting that bring height into play are Robiskie, Demetrius Byrd, Marko Mitchell, and Darius Passmore. Big fan of Dillard as well though I'm not so sure he brings height or speed to the offense, but I think he'll find success at the next level also.

josh07039
01-25-2009, 05:17 PM
As much as I would love to have a Rutgers guy, a guy like Underwood is no what we need. We have 3-4 guys that could potentially be good slot guys and that is exactly what Underwood is. I am of the belief that if we take a WR it should either be a blue chipper or not at all. We have a few guys that show potential, what we need is a straight up Number 1 with size/speed/yac/jump ball ability/etc. I know its tough to find, but we can't be like the Titans and keep trying to take guys late hoping they become a top flight guy down the road.

derza222
01-25-2009, 05:49 PM
I agree that what we need in our WR core is a top-flight guy. I'm not exactly saying I'd be a proponent of drafting a guy in the mid-rounds, but if we do those are the guys I'd be interested in looking at.

GET LOOSE
01-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Yea take a WR 1st or 2nd round if not then we shouldnt draft 1 at all. But if we dont trade up in the 1st or 2nd we wont get anyone that will be a good #1 or 2 in the nfl. Maclin and Crabtree will be gone by 17 and by our 2nd choice DHB should be gone

josh07039
01-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Yea take a WR 1st or 2nd round if not then we shouldnt draft 1 at all. But if we dont trade up in the 1st or 2nd we wont get anyone that will be a good #1 or 2 in the nfl. Maclin and Crabtree will be gone by 17 and by our 2nd choice DHB should be goneI think the guys that have the potential to be a #1 are
Crabtree
DHB
Maclin
Britt

Obviously Crabtree is gone and we aren't gonna trade up nor would I want to. DHB worries me because his production isn't nearly as good as his athleticism which worries me. Maclin has the production and definitely has speed. However, he is only a red shirt sophomore which may mean he will need longer to be productive and he always looked a bit frail to me. As for Britt, my concerns are that he is from Rutgers and I am blinded by all the amazing things he did for the school. However, seeing him on a regular basis makes me believe that he could be a #1. He obviously has the size, he has shown the speed and YAC and he has shown toughness on jumpballs. Granted he did it in a less than stellar conference, but he showed that he has all the tools necessary.

nyjets5125
01-26-2009, 03:39 PM
As much as I would love to have a Rutgers guy, a guy like Underwood is no what we need. We have 3-4 guys that could potentially be good slot guys and that is exactly what Underwood is. I am of the belief that if we take a WR it should either be a blue chipper or not at all. We have a few guys that show potential, what we need is a straight up Number 1 with size/speed/yac/jump ball ability/etc. I know its tough to find, but we can't be like the Titans and keep trying to take guys late hoping they become a top flight guy down the road.

i defintely agree about the WR...dont think we need a late round slot guy cuz thats what stuckey and clowney are, unless someone with a lot of potential slips...i think if were filling a guy who we think could be a starting WR soon for us, has to be in the 1st 2 rounds...wouldnt mind taking a redzone guy like ramses barden late though

BroadwayJoe10
01-26-2009, 11:49 PM
I think the guys that have the potential to be a #1 are
Crabtree
DHB
Maclin
Britt

Obviously Crabtree is gone and we aren't gonna trade up nor would I want to. DHB worries me because his production isn't nearly as good as his athleticism which worries me. Maclin has the production and definitely has speed. However, he is only a red shirt sophomore which may mean he will need longer to be productive and he always looked a bit frail to me. As for Britt, my concerns are that he is from Rutgers and I am blinded by all the amazing things he did for the school. However, seeing him on a regular basis makes me believe that he could be a #1. He obviously has the size, he has shown the speed and YAC and he has shown toughness on jumpballs. Granted he did it in a less than stellar conference, but he showed that he has all the tools necessary.

Your concerns are warranted to an extent. He didn't put up the numbers you would from someone with his talent, but he was quite handicapped. He played in a run-oriented offensive scheme and with a QB that made Reggie Ball look like Mark Sanchez. Yet, he still managed to put up numbers to Calvin Johnson; who was also in a pretty crappy position.

DHB - 138 receptions, 2,089, 13
CJ- 178 Receptions, 2,927 yds and 28 tds

CJ was a 6'5 235 lb freak who ran a 4.3ish 40, but didn't completely dominate the league like someone would expect. What people were going on was his body control, great hands etc. IE. measurables.

DHB is 6'3 205 lbs with blazing speed, possibly sub 4.3 40, and incredible leaping ability. He has shown to not only be a deep threat, but runs good crossing routes, can catch in traffic.

While he is not the prospect that CJ was, he does have decent fairly solid production and the measurables to warrant the pick. I personally believe that he would be a perfect pick for us if we do decide to go that route.

derza222
01-27-2009, 12:48 AM
Saw you made the same post on JN lol. I'm inclined to agree...to an extent. Calvin's basically got DHB's numbers half again in every statistical category. They look a lot more similar than they actually are because the catches are in the 100's and the yards are in the 2000's.

I get the point and do agree production isn't everything and in Heyward-Bey's case the offense and quarterback play really hurt him. But why didn't they manage to get him the ball more? It's not like he was the ONLY weapon on that offense, just the best one. Clemson game for example where he takes that reverse for 76 and gets run down at the 4 by Hamlin. It's the third quarter and that's his first touch of the game. I've got to believe they could have done a better job getting him the ball if it were not for some weaknesses.

His hands for instance are solid but could be a little better IMO, and he's not the kind of guy that really likes contact. He can take good angles running after the catch but really has no shiftiness and basically goes down on contact.

That said his measurables are silly, he's a great fit for what we need for this offense, and he could easily develop into an elite #1 in the right situation. If we start to run the rock and have some guys to take pressure off of him...maybe this could be the right situation. Plus I supposedly worked with his dad this past summer so that'd make it kind of cool to have him on the Jets...anyway I go back and forth on him, could end up being great or not so much he absolutely has some concerns. Not the kind of guy I'm going to be screaming TAKE DHB if he's on the board at 17 come draft day but I also will absolutely find a way to like the pick if we make it.

thetedginnshow
01-27-2009, 01:45 AM
Well Heyward-Bey doesn't have the hands CJ does, he's obviously not as big, and he can't jump as high, so at that point, it already makes it hard to compare. I mean, just saying he'll be a receiver but not as good as Calvin is kind of an obvious statement to begin with.

But about the QBs... well, Maryland's were much better. They really weren't anymore run-oriented than Ga Tech (who was actually very run-oriented, predicated more on ball control and defense), and at least the Terps QBs completed half of their passes. If you remember Ball, you remember one of the worst QBs to ever play the position.

And a major difference between DHB and CJ is that CJ improved from his Freshman year to his Junior year. Nevermind that he had the lesser QB and he was one of the nation's most highly touted players by his Junior year, but his numbers actually shot up. DHB actually only gained in the rushing department. CJ saw a decent amount of double teams as well, which I don't remember all too much with DHB (but I could be wrong). And he was never much of a big game performer.

I don't know. There's a lot I don't like about DHB, originating from the fact that he went to Maryland.

thetedginnshow
01-27-2009, 03:58 AM
Oh and because I'll start to pimp him in full force in about a month or so...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWakmo3_m2s

BroadwayJoe10
01-27-2009, 10:57 AM

He's a stud as well. It's going to be interesting to see what direction we go with our first rounder. I'm sure things will shake out as the year progresses, but this is the first year where I really have absolutely no idea what direction we'll be heading in. It's fairly exciting.

Crickett
01-27-2009, 11:52 AM

Well, I'll say this. I think Hicks as a future in the NFL and if I thought the Jets just needed *a* wide receiver, I'd be fine with Hakeem Nicks. But I see the Jets current receivers and I see a need for a guy with elite speed who can stretch the field which I don't think Nicks has.

GET LOOSE
01-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Well, I'll say this. I think Hicks as a future in the NFL and if I thought the Jets just needed *a* wide receiver, I'd be fine with Hakeem Nicks. But I see the Jets current receivers and I see a need for a guy with elite speed who can stretch the field which I don't think Nicks has.

I agree I like Nicks but he does not have the blazing speed or the hieght. Either we take someome who can burn his defender on deep routes or get a tall WR who can get the jump balls.

thetedginnshow
01-27-2009, 01:05 PM

Yeah, that's just something I guess I disagree with everyone else on. Since there isn't some phenom like a CJ in here or maybe the second coming of Steve Smith (the better one), we'd just be getting a burner in this draft if we went with a speed guy since none of the "elite speed" guys in this draft happen to be particularly good route runners nor are they especially physical. I don't know. That's just not something I particularly want to waste an early round pick on, and I'm not entirely sure Clowney can't almost bring exactly what they'd bring to the table. But with Nicks, I just feel like we're getting the best WR, and I don't think it really matters if you get a guy that can really stretch the field if you're getting a higher caliber WR. We'll see though.

Crickett
01-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Yeah, that's just something I guess I disagree with everyone else on. Since there isn't some phenom like a CJ in here or maybe the second coming of Steve Smith (the better one), we'd just be getting a burner in this draft if we went with a speed guy since none of the "elite speed" guys in this draft happen to be particularly good route runners nor are they especially physical. I don't know. That's just not something I particularly want to waste an early round pick on, and I'm not entirely sure Clowney can't almost bring exactly what they'd bring to the table. But with Nicks, I just feel like we're getting the best WR, and I don't think it really matters if you get a guy that can really stretch the field if you're getting a higher caliber WR. We'll see though.

I'm going to have to agree to disagree. Again, I think Nicks is a good prospect, but a big play guy is the thing I look at the Jets receiver corps and see lacking. That and I think back and remember (probably worse than it actually was) Laveranues Coles running down the field with opposing cornerbacks tattoed on his ***.

derza222
01-27-2009, 03:09 PM
For DHB I like him but he worries me. The height/speed combo is nice. He can absolutely blow by guys and score a touchdown for you. But I kind of question his ability to go up and get a contested ball, make a catch in traffic, and even run after the catch. His leaping ability and hands are alright, but not as nice as I'd like to see. Strength is a huge weakness IMO, he seems to just go down immediately after contact, and that's strange with the freaky Maryland weight program. No shiftiness either, basically if he can beat you to the pylon going to a straight line with his speed he's got you but otherwise he'll go down. For the tools he has you'd like to see more production. I get the run-oriented offense and I do think the quarterback play was worse his soph and junior years than frosh year but that doesn't quite explain it enough for me. I do like him though and would end up liking the pick, but at the moment I have serious reservations.

On Nicks I do agree with everyone else that we could use a guy to stretch the field. Somebody that can separate on their own, get downfield, push the safeties back, take some pressure off the other wideouts and even the run game a little, and force the corners to play off a little. I just think it would loosen up the opposing defenses. Last year I thought Pennington was the issue but towards the end of the year with Favre we had the same problems. Playcalling to an extent is to blame but I think the wideouts have to shoulder some of it also. Nicks is awesome and I love what he does after the catch. I'd absolutely welcome him in here with open arms, and hell if he runs like 4.4 maybe he jumps up to our range. He's got the nastiness and could help the "all-weather" offense. That said I'm not sold on the fit, but I love him as a player so it's hard to say no to a situation like that. The one thing that really helps his cause is he has a nose for the endzone and can make big plays, he just doesn't provide the field-stretching ability I covet.

Finally, of the WR's in the draft I think I've made it known my favorite is Maclin. I do think he brings more than just the pure speed which is nice. His frame is a concern but he's got decent height, can make catches in traffic, is willing to go over the middle, has soft hands, runs solid routes, and can make things happen both downfield and after the catch. I think he provides the best of both worlds to an extent with the only issue being strength, but I trust him more after the catch than DHB because he's got a little shiftiness in him. Point being I think he brings more than just speed to the table which is why I think he'd be a fantastic fit. And on top of it he produced very well and can return punts allowing Leon to focus on kicks.

EDIT:
I've got to say I watch Nicks and I see a slightly stronger slightly more explosive Cotchery, but maybe that's just because I'm watching him at the college level. Still, it makes me wonder what he really adds to our WR corps, not that I don't like him.

thetedginnshow
01-27-2009, 04:59 PM
I'm going to have to agree to disagree. Again, I think Nicks is a good prospect, but a big play guy is the thing I look at the Jets receiver corps and see lacking. That and I think back and remember (probably worse than it actually was) Laveranues Coles running down the field with opposing cornerbacks tattoed on his ***.

I definitely see where you're coming from. I think it's just what you take out of our WR woes. When I see them out there, I don't see WRs that "play big", nor do I see receivers that are especially physical, and to me that hurts us more than anything. Cotch I give a pass because he at least seems to be trying, but Coles is a little girl. Because when I think back, I remember Coles not fighting for a ball or Coles not fighting for extra yardage. Personally, I just want a receiver that's more than a small-ish deep threat. Like take... Lee Evans or even Santana Moss. Good receivers, but I think they'd add very little to our team opposed to someone like Boldin, Jennings, or Ward. And if there was someone in this draft like a Santonio Holmes, I'd be all for it, but I don't really think that's what Heyward-Bey is. I feel that it takes a certain sort of receiver to be a "cold-weather" receiver, and I don't know if I see a lot of that. And, if the sole reason to bring one of these receivers in was just to stretch the field, I'd rather see what Clowney could do with a healthy season.

In any case, I think we're definitely going to grab a WR at some point because at the very least we lack solid depth. I guess it's just a matter of when it happens.

derza222
01-27-2009, 06:04 PM
I definitely see where you're coming from. I think it's just what you take out of our WR woes. When I see them out there, I don't see WRs that "play big", nor do I see receivers that are especially physical, and to me that hurts us more than anything. Cotch I give a pass because he at least seems to be trying, but Coles is a little girl. Because when I think back, I remember Coles not fighting for a ball or Coles not fighting for extra yardage. Personally, I just want a receiver that's more than a small-ish deep threat. Like take... Lee Evans or even Santana Moss. Good receivers, but I think they'd add very little to our team opposed to someone like Boldin, Jennings, or Ward. And if there was someone in this draft like a Santonio Holmes, I'd be all for it, but I don't really think that's what Heyward-Bey is. I feel that it takes a certain sort of receiver to be a "cold-weather" receiver, and I don't know if I see a lot of that. And, if the sole reason to bring one of these receivers in was just to stretch the field, I'd rather see what Clowney could do with a healthy season.

In any case, I think we're definitely going to grab a WR at some point because at the very least we lack solid depth. I guess it's just a matter of when it happens.

Funny, that's EXACTLY the kind of WR I'd like to see us draft. Literally when i think of wideouts Holmes is THE guy. Kind of why I like Maclin, I think if used properly he could play a Holmes-esque role only he's not quite as bulky. But yeah if we could find a wideout in that mold that's exactly what I'd like. Not sure if I made that clear enough lol.

nyjets5125
01-27-2009, 06:31 PM
DHB scares me...nicks i think will be a very solid WR at some point but idk if hes the fit that we need...maclins the ideal fit, and im still unsure where i go after that...DHB, nicks, britt, harvin...the combine i think will help a little bit

BroadwayJoe10
01-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Funny, that's EXACTLY the kind of WR I'd like to see us draft. Literally when i think of wideouts Holmes is THE guy. Kind of why I like Maclin, I think if used properly he could play a Holmes-esque role only he's not quite as bulky. But yeah if we could find a wideout in that mold that's exactly what I'd like. Not sure if I made that clear enough lol.

I think this might be proven to be incorrect. Holmes weighed in at 5'10.5" and 188 lbs at the combine and Maclin is reportedly a sure 6' and closer to 6'1" and about 200 lbs. That was why I am in love with Maclin; he has the same speed, agility etc. as all the smaller receivers, but is much bigger. I just feel that Maclin is going to be long gone by the time we're picking.

derza222
01-27-2009, 08:23 PM
I think this might be proven to be incorrect. Holmes weighed in at 5'10.5" and 188 lbs at the combine and Maclin is reportedly a sure 6' and closer to 6'1" and about 200 lbs. That was why I am in love with Maclin; he has the same speed, agility etc. as all the smaller receivers, but is much bigger. I just feel that Maclin is going to be long gone by the time we're picking.

Yeah I know weight-wise Maclin is a little bigger, but he just physically looks considerably lankier. Holmes seems to be able to take a hit, bounce off tackles some, and just looks a little better put together. Maclin should be able to have success and I really like him as well, I just think he's not quite as tightly wound or strong as Holmes. He's still got time to grow, though.

As for him falling it seems possible based on mocks, really depends on the directions teams go in. He could realistically slip to the range where we could pick him up in a trade-up not too far or something. Otherwise the one thing I think could really help him in slipping is if Harvin blows up and moves ahead of him.

thetedginnshow
01-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Either something is very deceiving about them or Nicks happens to be taller than his listed height and DHB shorter, but I'd say Nicks and DHB look the same height and Maclin a bit shorter. It's funny about Maclin because I was looking over some stuff and he's eerily similar to Ginn. He of course had more production, but he also didn't operate in a pro-style offense.

I wouldn't think Maclin is actually his listed height and weight unless, like I said, his height is deceiving, and he happens to be ripped or something. I guess we'll see though. It's a great thing this year because probably the only WR that won't be competing at the combine should be Crabtree, and if that's the case we'll really be able to better determine who should be floating into our range and who we'd probably rather have.

nyjets5125
01-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Either something is very deceiving about them or Nicks happens to be taller than his listed height and DHB shorter, but I'd say Nicks and DHB look the same height and Maclin a bit shorter. It's funny about Maclin because I was looking over some stuff and he's eerily similar to Ginn. He of course had more production, but he also didn't operate in a pro-style offense.

I wouldn't think Maclin is actually his listed height and weight unless, like I said, his height is deceiving, and he happens to be ripped or something. I guess we'll see though. It's a great thing this year because probably the only WR that won't be competing at the combine should be Crabtree, and if that's the case we'll really be able to better determine who should be floating into our range and who we'd probably rather have.

ginn and holmes are built more similarly height and weight wise, nd maclins a little bigger in both areas

derza222
01-29-2009, 08:22 PM
For WR's let's have a hypothetical situation. Maclin is off the board at 17, and Kenny Britt runs a sub-4.5 forty, maybe around 4.45 at the combine. Now that's not burner time, but Britt has the height, leaping ability, and quickness to be able to make plays downfield. He also has the size our offense doesn't have, is big and strong, can block, runs well after the catch, and can be a successful "cold weather" WR in our all-weather offense. Now he's no Jeremy Maclin stretching the field and he's not quite Michael Crabtree strong, not as squatty as Nicks either, but perhaps he's the best of both worlds?

BroadwayJoe10
01-29-2009, 09:23 PM
For WR's let's have a hypothetical situation. Maclin is off the board at 17, and Kenny Britt runs a sub-4.5 forty, maybe around 4.45 at the combine. Now that's not burner time, but Britt has the height, leaping ability, and quickness to be able to make plays downfield. He also has the size our offense doesn't have, is big and strong, can block, runs well after the catch, and can be a successful "cold weather" WR in our all-weather offense. Now he's no Jeremy Maclin stretching the field and he's not quite Michael Crabtree strong, not as squatty as Nicks either, but perhaps he's the best of both worlds?

That would be very interesting, because a 4.45 is a fantastic time for someone his size. ex.) Andre Johnson, 6'2" 225 lbs and ran a 4.43.

Definitely something to think about.

Crickett
01-29-2009, 09:31 PM
That would be very interesting, because a 4.45 is a fantastic time for someone his size. ex.) Andre Johnson, 6'2" 225 lbs and ran a 4.43.

Definitely something to think about.

IIRC, Andre Johnson ran a 4.32, but regardless, if Kenny Britt did run a 4.45, I'd definitely warm up to the idea of the Jets drafting him. Does anyone have a comparison of his combine 40 to guys like Plaxico or Vincent Jackson? I looked on Sports illustrated, but I'm not so sure they're especially accurate.

thetedginnshow
01-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Honestly, Britt would be a perfect receiver if I didn't have the character concerns. I'd like to get the chance to see him in a couple interviews and see what comes up about him as the draft nears though first.

GET LOOSE
01-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Hmm its definitly intresting. At 6-4 215 Britt would catch my eye if he ran a 4.45. But no matter any situation I think were going to go D with our 1st rounder. Its exciting though not knowing who we could end up with when its all said and done.

derza222
01-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Honestly, Britt would be a perfect receiver if I didn't have the character concerns. I'd like to get the chance to see him in a couple interviews and see what comes up about him as the draft nears though first.

I'm still not sold on the character concerns. He got suspended for one game, but doesn't talk off the field and plays hard on it. It's not like we're talking about a Chris Henry/Pacman Jones guy, and we're also not talking about somebody that talks in the media or dogs it on the field. I'm from Jersey and as we're coming up to the draft this is the first I've ever heard about any concerns.

I'd ask Josh. While he is a massive Rutgers homer he'll tell it like it is, and I'm pretty sure he'll just say this is much ado about nothing.

Anyways, thought it was an interesting hypothetical.

BroadwayJoe10
01-30-2009, 10:39 AM
IIRC, Andre Johnson ran a 4.32, but regardless, if Kenny Britt did run a 4.45, I'd definitely warm up to the idea of the Jets drafting him. Does anyone have a comparison of his combine 40 to guys like Plaxico or Vincent Jackson? I looked on Sports illustrated, but I'm not so sure they're especially accurate.

See, I thought Andre ran a time in the 4.3's as well, but when i checked his combine results on draft scout and than sports illustrated ( http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2003/draft/players/1211.html ). I'm not sure which is correct, maybe neither, becuase he certainly looks faster.

I usually go back draft scout because they have results directly from the combine and proday, possibly Andre was hurt during his???

Plax didn't run at the combine in indy, but an article i just read said he ran a 4.55 when he weighed in at 6'5.5" 231 lbs. So that's pretty impressive

Vincent Jackson measured in at 6'4.5" and 241 and ran a 4.46, which is pretty darn impressive.

josh07039
01-30-2009, 12:50 PM
To save time and have an easy to read format, I'll make a list.
1.Keny Britt is fast. Not only is he naturally fast, I think he has been training at a camp in Arizona pretty much since the season ended. Furthermore, I think Kenny could surprise a lot of people with his speed at the combine. I(and other Rutgers fans) will be disappointed with anything over a 4.45 for him.
2.The character concerns are ridiculous. He got suspended for one game for smoking. I know it wasn't a smart thing to do, especially when the team was sliding, but we need to be realistic. There are tons of players on every team in the nation that smoke, he just happened to get caught. One little mistake is not enough to be considered a character concern.
3.Even if some make think he is a bit full of himself, he isn't a soft prima dona on the field. He loves contact on blocks and he gives full effort all the time. Even when Teel was under throwing the ball and leaving his receivers open for big hits, Britt was still going over the middle and making plays.
4. Obviously Im biased, but if Britt runs in the range I think he could, he is the best value at 17. His combo of remarkable tools and production is better than any other wr at the spot. DHB is a freak, but didn't produce on an elite level. Maclin produced, but just doesn't have the combo of size and speed to be the absolute elite top 5 reciever in the league. Harvin is an explosive player and he may end up being remarkably productive, but he isn't a prototypical #1. We need a guy that can do it all.

derza222
01-30-2009, 01:50 PM
I like Maclin at 17 because he's fast and offers a ton after the catch. Seems like he can take a hit and nice hands. Britt though I think has become my favorite outside of him in that range.

He would add so much to our offense that we don't have. Size, leaping ability, big-play ability, deep threat. He's more polished than DHB if not a bit slower, and has better deep ability than Nicks. I won't even bring up Harvin because he's too much like Leon except a little more WR than RB instead of a little more RB than WR.

Plenty of dudes last year admitted to smoking weed and it wasn't an issue for teams, I'm sure if Britt is honest about it and admits he made a mistake that he learned from it'll be a non-issue.

Just need him to run well, not well enough that he might get drafted ahead of us but well enough that he moves up into our range, and we'll be set. I think he'd be a very good pick.

thetedginnshow
01-30-2009, 01:54 PM
To save time and have an easy to read format, I'll make a list.
1.Keny Britt is fast. Not only is he naturally fast, I think he has been training at a camp in Arizona pretty much since the season ended. Furthermore, I think Kenny could surprise a lot of people with his speed at the combine. I(and other Rutgers fans) will be disappointed with anything over a 4.45 for him.
2.The character concerns are ridiculous. He got suspended for one game for smoking. I know it wasn't a smart thing to do, especially when the team was sliding, but we need to be realistic. There are tons of players on every team in the nation that smoke, he just happened to get caught. One little mistake is not enough to be considered a character concern.
3.Even if some make think he is a bit full of himself, he isn't a soft prima dona on the field. He loves contact on blocks and he gives full effort all the time. Even when Teel was under throwing the ball and leaving his receivers open for big hits, Britt was still going over the middle and making plays.
4. Obviously Im biased, but if Britt runs in the range I think he could, he is the best value at 17. His combo of remarkable tools and production is better than any other wr at the spot. DHB is a freak, but didn't produce on an elite level. Maclin produced, but just doesn't have the combo of size and speed to be the absolute elite top 5 reciever in the league. Harvin is an explosive player and he may end up being remarkably productive, but he isn't a prototypical #1. We need a guy that can do it all.

Wait. Are you saying then that you think Britt can be a top five receiver? That to me seems pretty ridiculous.

But I don't think the smoking issue is the big deal, and while I like to see some physicality on the field, I'm more concerned about locker room cohesiveness.

derza222
01-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Wait. Are you saying then that you think Britt can be a top five receiver? That to me seems pretty ridiculous.

But I don't think the smoking issue is the big deal, and while I like to see some physicality on the field, I'm more concerned about locker room cohesiveness.

Have you seen anything to suggest he'd be a locker room problem? Just because I never have so I'd be interested to see it. I'm just not sure where all of these character issues are coming from.

And I'm not sure about top 5 but with everything I've seen Britt do taken into account I do think it's not unreasonable to say he could end up being the top wideout in this class. Not saying he absolutely will be but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he ended up doing so. He's got a ton of talent.

thetedginnshow
01-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Have you seen anything to suggest he'd be a locker room problem? Just because I never have so I'd be interested to see it. I'm just not sure where all of these character issues are coming from.

And I'm not sure about top 5 but with everything I've seen Britt do taken into account I do think it's not unreasonable to say he could end up being the top wideout in this class. Not saying he absolutely will be but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he ended up doing so. He's got a ton of talent.

Oh no, that's why I said I'd like to see more of him in the coming months. I don't think it's very reliable to read previously published stories about him or rely on Rutgers fans for knowledge on the issue, so I'd just like to wait until everything's dug up. But all I was saying that with any player, I'd care about locker room chemistry more than most things. Granted, if there are any red flags in that area in the first place, we don't have to worry because we won't be drafting that person.

derza222
01-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Oh no, that's why I said I'd like to see more of him in the coming months. I don't think it's very reliable to read previously published stories about him or rely on Rutgers fans for knowledge on the issue, so I'd just like to wait until everything's dug up. But all I was saying that with any player, I'd care about locker room chemistry more than most things. Granted, if there are any red flags in that area in the first place, we don't have to worry because we won't be drafting that person.

Yeah I doubt we'll be drafting guys that have bad character, some of the intelligence stuff might become less important with Rex running things as opposed to Mangini. I'd be interested to see how much the coach influences the kind of guys we draft. We've been big into Big 10 guys and seem to like production recently, I think that's more Tannenbaum, but the kind of people we bring in could have been a little more Mangini. Rex is going to want tough, physical guys that are devoted to football IMO, intelligence will be a factor but more the can he digest a playbook and does he have a high football IQ intelligence.

Anyway back to Britt, as far as locker room issues I think if this year is any indication he won't be a problem. This was a team that started the year in awful fashion, got panned by the media in the area, and had a quarterback who just couldn't get the ball to either of his talented wideouts. Britt, being a top 3 talent and high-profile guy at the very least in either case, could have easily called out his quarterback, made comments, not given the same kind of effort, etc. Instead he was a part of the team effort that turned that team around when they got hot towards the end of the season and he was incredibly productive during that period. You'd figure if he was a locker room cancer he could have easily screwed things up earlier in the season and they never would have made that turnaround, but obviously that didn't happen. As you said though, we'll see when it comes interview time.

nyjets5125
01-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Yeah I doubt we'll be drafting guys that have bad character, some of the intelligence stuff might become less important with Rex running things as opposed to Mangini. I'd be interested to see how much the coach influences the kind of guys we draft. We've been big into Big 10 guys and seem to like production recently, I think that's more Tannenbaum, but the kind of people we bring in could have been a little more Mangini. Rex is going to want tough, physical guys that are devoted to football IMO, intelligence will be a factor but more the can he digest a playbook and does he have a high football IQ intelligence.

was just about to say that...im really interested in seeing how we draft without mangini, and see how much of what we did was mangini and how much was tannenbaum...i do think without mangini it broadens our possibilities which im happy about...not saying i want to draft guys with poor character, just saying gini was prob a lil too strict...cant think of any examples off the top of my head but if it came down to it, much better chance ryan drafts a guy with some red flags than mangini

josh07039
01-31-2009, 10:37 AM
Just to respond to a couple of Britt comments:
1.He should not be a top 5 pick. I was saying that at our position he is the best value.
2.I have a friend who writes for the Targum(Rutgers newpaper) and he is in the locker room after games all the time. He never saw or heard of any issues with Britt, he got along with his teammates. The only thing I've heard of that can be negative is that he was a little less outwardly affected by losses this year than some others.

derza222
01-31-2009, 12:15 PM
Just to respond to a couple of Britt comments:
1.He should not be a top 5 pick. I was saying that at our position he is the best value.
2.I have a friend who writes for the Targum(Rutgers newpaper) and he is in the locker room after games all the time. He never saw or heard of any issues with Britt, he got along with his teammates. The only thing I've heard of that can be negative is that he was a little less outwardly affected by losses this year than some others.

I think the criticism was that you kind of implied Britt has the potential to be a top 5 wideout in the NFL, and TTGS disagreed.

Anyways, I was thinking about positions we might want to address in the later rounds that we won't be addressing that early in all likelihood so haven't discussed much. Punter and fullback came to mind. We haven't had stability at punter in awhile so it'd be interesting if we opted to go in that direction, I'd presume Westhoff would make the call there and I'd obviously trust his judgement. And fullback could be a need position if we want to pound the rock and lose Richardson to FA. Only other things I can see are a blocking TE (Franks is probably gone and Baker may be a cap casualty) and obviously some offensive line depth. Thoughts on those/other positions? Not saying I'd be proponents of drafting those by the way, just saying it'd be interesting and seems possible and those are positions we haven't really discussed much.

BroadwayJoe10
01-31-2009, 12:40 PM
I think the criticism was that you kind of implied Britt has the potential to be a top 5 wideout in the NFL, and TTGS disagreed.

Anyways, I was thinking about positions we might want to address in the later rounds that we won't be addressing that early in all likelihood so haven't discussed much. Punter and fullback came to mind. We haven't had stability at punter in awhile so it'd be interesting if we opted to go in that direction, I'd presume Westhoff would make the call there and I'd obviously trust his judgement. And fullback could be a need position if we want to pound the rock and lose Richardson to FA. Only other things I can see are a blocking TE (Franks is probably gone and Baker may be a cap casualty) and obviously some offensive line depth. Thoughts on those/other positions? Not saying I'd be proponents of drafting those by the way, just saying it'd be interesting and seems possible and those are positions we haven't really discussed much.

If we are going to go FB, I would love us to look at Quinn JOhnson. I've watched LSU the majority of my life and Johnson is a very good looking prospect. He can catch the ball out of the backfield, which is something he didn't do too often at LSU, but was showcased at the Senior Bowl. He is a punishing downhill runner and should time a significant amount faster than Le'Ron McClain. I think he would be a great replacement for t-rich, and would cost a huge amount less.

derza222
01-31-2009, 01:47 PM
I like Johnson a lot. If we bring in a fullback via draft he's probably my favorite, definitely I think fits what we would want to do.

GET LOOSE
01-31-2009, 04:49 PM
Man I would love to have a power running FB. Johnson would be perfect for us. As for punter Thomas Morstead and Chris Miller intrest me.

nyjets5125
02-01-2009, 10:58 PM
i thought richardson was good for us last year and i think a good blocking FB is a must for us...but to richardson, hes consistnely blocked for probowl HBs (holmes, peterson, now jones) and i really like the guy, dependign on how much he wants...but one way or another we need a solid physical FB

BroadwayJoe10
02-01-2009, 11:54 PM
I love t-rich and recently i read, although i don't have the link anymore, that he wants to come back to the jets and felt as though he was a part of something special about to happen.

GET LOOSE
02-02-2009, 12:42 AM
Really hope he comes back the man can block like there is no tomorow. And especially with Rex here now wanting to pound the ball. Rich is a big key in our success of running the ball

josh07039
02-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Scott's new mock would make me very happy. Even if Jackson might not be everyone's favorite pick in the first round, getting Mccoy at 53 is insane. The way the first round went in the mock, Jackson is probably the best pick at 17. Vontae Davis may end up being a crazy shutdown corner and I wouldn't exactly be upset taking him, but I would be nervous because of his high bust potential.

GET LOOSE
02-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Scott's new mock would make me very happy. Even if Jackson might not be everyone's favorite pick in the first round, getting Mccoy at 53 is insane. The way the first round went in the mock, Jackson is probably the best pick at 17. Vontae Davis may end up being a crazy shutdown corner and I wouldn't exactly be upset taking him, but I would be nervous because of his high bust potential.

I like it a lot to but Bennie and DHB was there in the 1st. But the 2nd round if we did draft Bennie would have been tought cause Nicks, Dlemas, and Rashad Johnson were all gone. But if Bennie is there in the 1st I want him

nyjets5125
02-05-2009, 04:44 PM

i would be very very ok with scotts draft...i love mccoy and getting him that late would just be awesome...tyson jackson is also a great fit and i think he woudl be a great addition to the team, the only reservation i would have about that is everyone is crazy about next years 3-4 DE class, and i dont konw much aobut it, and even though you dont wanna rely on the next draft, if there are other options maybe that would be better...however, i really wouldnt mind him at all, and the way scotts mock went, thats probably the best pick there for us i think

derza222
02-05-2009, 04:55 PM
I dunno I'm not wild about it to be honest, I like Jackson but not at 17 even though the other options aren't admittedly that appealing, and I'm not a huge fan of McCoy either plus if we go RB I'd rather go with a bigger guy. I guess I'd learn to love it, though.

JETS5128
02-05-2009, 06:03 PM
I don't love Jackson, but after Rey and Sanchez (my top 2 choices), there isn't necessarily somebody i am crazy about getting. Given the situation Jackson is a great pick. I am a big McCoy guy too

thetedginnshow
02-05-2009, 07:13 PM
I hate the pick, but personally, I don't see the Jets seriously considering him. And even though I hate taking RBs early, McCoy wouldn't be bad at all. I do figure we'll take a RB at some point in this draft though.

derza222
02-05-2009, 08:29 PM
I hate the pick, but personally, I don't see the Jets seriously considering him. And even though I hate taking RBs early, McCoy wouldn't be bad at all. I do figure we'll take a RB at some point in this draft though.

I don't really either to be honest. Only way is if we end up having to slice Ellis for cap room, and even then I think the value in the second round is better anyway. But preferably we wait till next year for that sick class.

McCoy is alright, a decent player, I'd prefer a bigger guy to add to our mix but I guess it wouldn't be too bad. Long term I'd imagine that would result in both Jones and Washington leaving and a bigger back coming in at a different point, because I'm not sure how Shady and Leon compliment each other. Perhaps we could keep Leon and Shady and add a third bigger back to the mix and try and run a little Giants style stuff...? He is a nice value there at the very least.

BroadwayJoe10
02-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Shady is a very good value there, but I'm hoping we add a receiver instead.

I do believe that I am the only person who likes the Tyson Jackson pick; yes, I would prefer Maclin or a receiving threat, but I don't see him falling. I would imagine the reason I like this pick is I'm a huge LSU fan and have seen every single game that he's played. He's a freak in his own right for his size and speed; 6'5 and 295 lbs while running a ~4.9 forty. He is excellent against the run and can rush the passer pretty well for his size.

If I recall, the patriots were fairly disappointed and upset about both Warren and Seymour, which turned out pretty good for them. We shall see.

derza222
02-05-2009, 10:19 PM
The thing is, at least personally, when you are adding a 3-4 DE I prefer a guy that was in the 4-3 as a DT not a DE. I just think the skill-set fits the transition better there as far as responsibility, and a ton of guys next year fit that mold. Who knows though, maybe it's just me.

hcbrad08
02-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Does anyone think we could get much better (than what Scott has in his mock) by drafting someone like Beanie Wells or Knowshon Moreno in the 1st then Drafting someone like Evander Hood or Ron Brace in the 2nd...We would draft RB and DL in both instances I think if Wells and Moreno are on the board and RB is that much of a priority for us (which i dont think it is) wouldnt it make more sense to invert the picks from DL-RB TO RB-DL

BroadwayJoe10
02-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Does anyone think we could get much better (than what Scott has in his mock) by drafting someone like Beanie Wells or Knowshon Moreno in the 1st then Drafting someone like Evander Hood or Ron Brace in the 2nd...We would draft RB and DL in both instances I think if Wells and Moreno are on the board and RB is that much of a priority for us (which i dont think it is) wouldnt it make more sense to invert the picks from DL-RB TO RB-DL

Yaa, I would have to agree. I haven't seen Ziggy play nearly as much as I've seen Tyson play, so I can't speak for the difference in play. Although, if Beanie stays healthy, he does posses a crazy amount of talent and is plenty more talented than Shady. I would guess it all depends on how are FO assesses the players. I am quite eager to see who we start targeting.

derza222
02-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Alright guys, it's slow and I'd love to get some talk going. This isn't the best question but at least it's something, hopefully we can get a little discussion What position(s) would you most want to take in the first round besides WR, ILB, or S (taking value into account and whatnot)? I'd assume some would like a QB, others maybe want to look CB, defensive end is always an option, perhaps RB or something on the offensive line...

GET LOOSE
02-17-2009, 10:59 PM
If Bennie is there he could be very intristing. I wouldnt mind going DE if Tyson Jackson shows me a little something in the combine. But ovarall obviously WR, ILB, and S are the most important. Some guys I will really be watching for potential picks at the combine:

Bennie
Shonn Green
Maclin
Nicks
Barden
Britt
Tyson Jackson
Rey Rey
Worrell Williams
Jasper Brinkley
Kevin Barnes
Rashad Johnson

Hurricanes25
02-17-2009, 11:03 PM
You could probably add DHB and Sanchez to that list.

thetedginnshow
02-17-2009, 11:55 PM
Alright guys, it's slow and I'd love to get some talk going. This isn't the best question but at least it's something, hopefully we can get a little discussion What position(s) would you most want to take in the first round besides WR, ILB, or S (taking value into account and whatnot)? I'd assume some would like a QB, others maybe want to look CB, defensive end is always an option, perhaps RB or something on the offensive line...

Just because of value, I'd like to see a CB. Forever and always I'll believe that a RB shouldn't be taken in the first round, and I just don't believe we'll be in a position to take Sanchez (either because someone else will trade up ahead of us or he'll go too early). So, to me, that'd leave CB as having the best value at that point. Things might change and an O-lineman may fall into that mix, but at this point, a CB like Moore or Smith would be welcomed. Of course, my belief is that Rex puts a higher priority on the front seven, so I don't think that'll happen. So... I'll say... I don't know. It's so far out of mind that we'd take anything but WR, ILB, S, or QB that I don't know what we'd do if none of those options were available to us for some strange reason. I guess I'd pray that we trade our pick.

BroadwayJoe10
02-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Besides those three I would have to say that DE would probably be the most likely. If we go DE than I would go with Tyson Jackson; i would be elated, considering i'm a big LSU fan and have been suggesting the jets go after this guy for a couple years now.

ILB is a possible choice if Rex wants to add his signature player, but I just don't feel ILB is a solid value at 17 overall.

CB, I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up McAllister for a 2 year deal, which would mean we don't need to address that in the first round.

If we were able to hit any of our holes in FA, I would love to draft WR in round one. I would than like any of the following; ron brace as a backup NT, a safety like Chung and definite Oline depth.

JETS5128
02-18-2009, 12:33 AM
Besides those three I would have to say that DE would probably be the most likely. If we go DE than I would go with Tyson Jackson; i would be elated, considering i'm a big LSU fan and have been suggesting the jets go after this guy for a couple years now.

ILB is a possible choice if Rex wants to add his signature player, but I just don't feel ILB is a solid value at 17 overall.

CB, I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up McAllister for a 2 year deal, which would mean we don't need to address that in the first round.

If we were able to hit any of our holes in FA, I would love to draft WR in round one. I would than like any of the following; ron brace as a backup NT, a safety like Chung and definite Oline depth.

Agree with all of this post

GET LOOSE
02-18-2009, 12:39 AM
A backup NT is important cause last year when Jenkins was on the sidelines that just meant trouble for our run defense. As for CB I would love to pick up McAllister to play next to Revis and Jim Leonhard to play next to Rhodes. Dam that we be some secondary

Hurricanes25
02-18-2009, 01:49 AM
A backup NT is important cause last year when Jenkins was on the sidelines that just meant trouble for our run defense. As for CB I would love to pick up McAllister to play next to Revis and Jim Leonhard to play next to Rhodes. Dam that we be some secondary

That would be a nice secondary. As for a backup NT I like Antonio Dixon who we can get late in the draft.

GET LOOSE
02-18-2009, 03:33 AM
That would be a nice secondary. As for a backup NT I like Antonio Dixon who we can get late in the draft.

I have always liked Dixon. We might not even have to draft him he could end up being an UDFA.

derza222
02-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Just because of value, I'd like to see a CB. Forever and always I'll believe that a RB shouldn't be taken in the first round, and I just don't believe we'll be in a position to take Sanchez (either because someone else will trade up ahead of us or he'll go too early). So, to me, that'd leave CB as having the best value at that point. Things might change and an O-lineman may fall into that mix, but at this point, a CB like Moore or Smith would be welcomed. Of course, my belief is that Rex puts a higher priority on the front seven, so I don't think that'll happen. So... I'll say... I don't know. It's so far out of mind that we'd take anything but WR, ILB, S, or QB that I don't know what we'd do if none of those options were available to us for some strange reason. I guess I'd pray that we trade our pick.

I agree with this. Especially the RB part, I'd just rather wait till the mid-rounds and focus on the line. If the values right I could maybe see an OL but in that scenario I'd welcome a CB and especially a trade down. The one thing drafting a CB would signal to me is that we need guys who can handle their stuff on the outside because we're going to be coming after the QB with a lot of guys and doing it all game, which is something I'd like to see.

Also I absolutely agree about needing a backup NT, and McAllister is an interesting option for us. Not sure he'd exactly solidify our secondary with his injury concerns but between him and Lowery we could certainly be in worse shape.

An interesting option for us somewhere in the mid-late rounds IMO is Sammie Lee Hill. Apparently he played DE in college at 325 so he projects to a NT in a 4-3 and a 3-4 but also seemingly could play end in the 3-4 as well with his experience and supposedly good athleticism. Almost seems like he could be a homeless man's Haloti Ngata for us if you will with the ability to play both positions, maybe be an end primarily and step inside on passing downs to NT or a NT primarily but move to DE in rushing situations or something. Who knows...interesting prospect though.

josh07039
02-18-2009, 02:17 PM
I think that a big part of our secondary is a solid safety next to rhodes. I think a developmental cb in round 3-4 would be nice, but with a solid safety, revis, lowery(whether it be at nickel or across from revis), and a more aggressive pass rush, the defense should improve greatly. I think our secondary is not as bad as people think. Very often the secondary got torched because Mangini would take his foot off the gas in terms of putting pressure on the Qb. When you only rush 3, someone is eventually going to get open. Whenever we were up in the second half(The arizona game comes to mind), we basically just gave up the middle of the field, perhaps in a moronic attempt to waste the clock way too early.

Just looking over the talent we have in the secondary, Revis is great, Lowery in his second year should be fairly solid, Coleman is eh, Rhodes is a really good safety. Basically, I think we need to sign a short term deal to a solid vet cb. We don't need someone great if we aggressively blitz. I think if we get a vet cb and a developmental cb, we could move lowery to safety and that should solve our safety problem as well. We can't move lowery there unless we get more talent at cb, without him we have literally no depth.

Crickett
02-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Just looking over the talent we have in the secondary, Revis is great, Lowery in his second year should be fairly solid, Coleman is eh, Rhodes is a really good safety. Basically, I think we need to sign a short term deal to a solid vet cb. We don't need someone great if we aggressively blitz. I think if we get a vet cb and a developmental cb, we could move lowery to safety and that should solve our safety problem as well. We can't move lowery there unless we get more talent at cb, without him we have literally no depth.

I don't think the Jets can afford to just sign a cheap vet and say problem solved with regards to the secondary and I'd question whether moving Lowry to safety would be the best answer for either the secondary or Lowry himself.

thetedginnshow
02-18-2009, 02:56 PM
I don't think the Jets can afford to just sign a cheap vet and say problem solved with regards to the secondary and I'd question whether moving Lowry to safety would be the best answer for either the secondary or Lowry himself.

It's funny you say that. I completely agree, but I was reading that jetsblog site or whatever and in one of their posts they made it seem as though it was a common belief among Jets fans that Lowery should be moved to Safety. I think that'd be an awful idea and it's actually kind of funny how many people want to write him off not only after one year, but after his rookie year.

derza222
02-18-2009, 05:01 PM
It's funny you say that. I completely agree, but I was reading that jetsblog site or whatever and in one of their posts they made it seem as though it was a common belief among Jets fans that Lowery should be moved to Safety. I think that'd be an awful idea and it's actually kind of funny how many people want to write him off not only after one year, but after his rookie year.

I really can't see him moving to safety either, plus that would have Rhodes moving to SS for us in all likelihood because I don't see Lowery playing there. Probably just a case of looking for a quick fix when in likelihood it just wouldn't work out so well. Hopefully the new scheme helps him since we'll be getting pressure on the QB and there will be some rushed throws and less opportunities downfield. I agree it's too early to give up on him there, hopefully we give him another shot. I'm preparing myself for a corner though because there's just so much corner talk for us, but I'm hoping it's more of a media fabrication than anything else.

jmess15
02-18-2009, 05:24 PM
I really can't see him moving to safety either, plus that would have Rhodes moving to SS for us in all likelihood because I don't see Lowery playing there. Probably just a case of looking for a quick fix when in likelihood it just wouldn't work out so well. Hopefully the new scheme helps him since we'll be getting pressure on the QB and there will be some rushed throws and less opportunities downfield. I agree it's too early to give up on him there, hopefully we give him another shot. I'm preparing myself for a corner though because there's just so much corner talk for us, but I'm hoping it's more of a media fabrication than anything else.

I think Lowery showed some flashes last year (if you look between the burn marks..lol) and should not be counted out. He definitely hit the rookie wall, and I for one think Mangini tried to tinker with his DBs too much and they never got comfortable because they were playing with different people next to them constantly. That being said, i woule likd CB addressed. McCalister and Rolle are options but short term at best, but I would imagine they would be more viable than Ty Law at this point (presuming they are healthy).

josh07039
02-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Im not saying I necessarily want Lowery moved to safety. I believe that he could be a good corner to pair with Revis. However, I offered a possibility that if we end up getting a corner either because an opportunity presents itself in the draft or we sign someone, that would possibly fix our safety problem as well. Lowery has the physicality to be a good safety. I suppose that could be said for most good, physical corners.

Throughout the season, I was a big Lowery proponent and still am. A lot of his mistakes were a result of being picked on by teams because of Revis' greatness also, I think some of the calls on him were a result of being a rookie. Some of the penalties were kinda petty.

derza222
02-18-2009, 09:06 PM
I agree very much with the second half of that. First half...I guess it could work I just think we're better off leaving him at corner. Worst case I think he's got the intelligence to become a very good slot guy, and we have next to no depth there. Transitions like that just generally don't work out all that well, and with some of the slot guys we have in the division and in the league in general a good slot corner is nothing to sneeze at for a fourth rounder. Ray Mickens was clutch for us back in the day.

GET LOOSE
02-19-2009, 01:10 AM
I agree very much with the second half of that. First half...I guess it could work I just think we're better off leaving him at corner. Worst case I think he's got the intelligence to become a very good slot guy, and we have next to no depth there. Transitions like that just generally don't work out all that well, and with some of the slot guys we have in the division and in the league in general a good slot corner is nothing to sneeze at for a fourth rounder. Ray Mickens was clutch for us back in the day.

Mickens was the man. And yea Lowrey wouldnt be a bad option at FS but I would rather keep him at CB

Hurricanes25
02-19-2009, 01:16 AM
I want to give Lowery another year to see what he can do. He was only a rookie and showed some promise. He also came up big in the season opener against Miami when he knocked down two passes in the endzone on the last drive.

jmess15
02-19-2009, 07:41 AM
I want to give Lowery another year to see what he can do. He was only a rookie and showed some promise. He also came up big in the season opener against Miami when he knocked down two passes in the endzone on the last drive.

With Lowery I think at worst we have a good nickel/slot guy.

okay123
02-21-2009, 11:20 PM
I think that a big part of our secondary is a solid safety next to rhodes. I think a developmental cb in round 3-4 would be nice, but with a solid safety, revis, lowery(whether it be at nickel or across from revis), and a more aggressive pass rush, the defense should improve greatly. I think our secondary is not as bad as people think. Very often the secondary got torched because Mangini would take his foot off the gas in terms of putting pressure on the Qb. When you only rush 3, someone is eventually going to get open. Whenever we were up in the second half(The arizona game comes to mind), we basically just gave up the middle of the field, perhaps in a moronic attempt to waste the clock way too early.

i think even if we get a vet CB in free agency, i think we should keep lowery at nickel because we have very little depth. coleman is garbage, we just cut barrett (who was also garbage), poteat's all right, and carroll shouldn't be stepping on the field anytime soon. in fact, i would argue we need 2 corners this offseason because we are lacking depth THAT much.

Crickett
02-22-2009, 12:14 AM
i think even if we get a vet CB in free agency, i think we should keep lowery at nickel because we have very little depth. coleman is garbage, we just cut barrett (who was also garbage), poteat's all right, and carroll shouldn't be stepping on the field anytime soon. in fact, i would argue we need 2 corners this offseason because we are lacking depth THAT much.

If the Jets bring in a vet corner on a short term contract, lets say Chris McCallister, the depth chart is

Darrelle Revis
Chris McCallister
Dwight Lowry
Hank Poteat
Drew Coleman

That looks like a pretty decent cornerback group IMO.

jetsfan
02-22-2009, 01:48 PM
I think Maualuga or Cushing would be great picks if either is available.

TimD
02-22-2009, 02:13 PM

really? i don't think that at all. yes, he'll most likely never be a top 3 corner for us, but is that really a bad thing? I think he's improved every year he's been in the league, and for a really small 7th rounder he's found a spot in our secondary. Him and Poteat would be good depth after our top 3 corners. As 4th and 5th on our depth chart, I don't think they are anything to sneeze at.

TimD
02-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Anyways, back to the topic...

We have a bunch of holes right now because of the salary cutting we just did. Looking into free agency I think we have to consider the following positions as ones that need improvement.

QB (May be on the roster, may not be)
RB (Someone who will go well with Leon to start grooming)
WR (a True #1)
TE (We need a blocking TE now that Baker is gone. Idk about Franks)
OL (RT)
DL (Starting DE, Back-up NT)
ILB
Secondary (CB and S)

As a 9-7 team, looking to fill 10 positions is kind of scary, but not too bad considering we have a boat load of cap space and I think we have a decent amount of picks. How mnay picks do we have this year? All the trades confused me... favre, vilma, robertson, kendall...

JETS5128
02-22-2009, 02:25 PM
I think Maualuga or Cushing would be great picks if either is available.

Im on the fence about cushing, but i would love rey

okay123
02-22-2009, 02:32 PM
If the Jets bring in a vet corner on a short term contract, lets say Chris McCallister, the depth chart is

Darrelle Revis
Chris McCallister
Dwight Lowry
Hank Poteat
Drew Coleman

That looks like a pretty decent cornerback group IMO.

i think that's good, but my post was in response to moving lowery to safety if we get someone like mccallister.without lowery in that group, i think our depth is weak.

okay123
02-22-2009, 02:35 PM
really? i don't think that at all. yes, he'll most likely never be a top 3 corner for us, but is that really a bad thing? I think he's improved every year he's been in the league, and for a really small 7th rounder he's found a spot in our secondary. Him and Poteat would be good depth after our top 3 corners. As 4th and 5th on our depth chart, I don't think they are anything to sneeze at.

everytime i see him he is getting torched. i thought he did well in 06 in his rookie year, but ever since then, i think he's regressed.

BroadwayJoe10
02-22-2009, 02:59 PM
It's interesting, because i was just reading this article on PFT. If we are indeed focussing in on either Lewis or Scott, than I think it's safe to assume ILB, thus Rey Rey and Cushing, will not be on our radar come draft day.

So who than do we go for? It really seems as though we are once again making some moves for FA so that we go into the draft with as little needs as possible and can take BPA as opposed to reaching for someone based on need.

Regarding Moore. We could very well have leaked the information about him being released in order to raise interest in a trade. If we were going to release him I'm fairly certain it would have happened. Who knows.

JETS ZEROING IN ON RAVENS’ LINEBACKERS
Posted by Aaron Wilson on February 22, 2009, 8:38 a.m.

The New York Jets are planning to make a serious run at Baltimore Ravens inside linebackers Bart Scott and Ray Lewis as soon as free agency begins February 27, according to Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News.

Even though Lewis is apparently enamored with the Dallas Cowboys, according to Cowboys star outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware, the Jets are still hoping to recruit the two-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year. There’s also the possibility that Lewis may re-sign with the Ravens.

Meanwhile, Scott, who ranked second on the team in tackles behind Lewis last season and is versatile enough to play in a 3-4 or a 4-3 scheme, seems interested in the Jets.

In a recent interview with NFL Sirius Radio, Scott acknowledged that he was interested in playing for new Jets coach Rex Ryan, the former Ravens defensive coordinator.

“I can go to the Jets and I can set a tempo,” Scott said. “I have some unique things to my game that’s unique to just Bart Scott that everybody else can’t do. You don’t have to take me out. You can put me over the tight end, it doesn’t matter.

“You can take me out of the box. You can leave me in the box. Every linebacker can’t say that. You can put me in any situation, I’ll flourish. It doesn’t matter to me.”

When asked about the possibility of playing inside linebacker for the Jets, Scott replied: “Exactly, I can go in there and I can guarantee all that running coming up the middle, that’ll stop.”

The door isn’t completely shut on Scott possibly coming back to Baltimore. Scott could represent a fallback option for the Ravens at middle linebacker if negotiations with Lewis, which took place this week in Indianapolis, break down.

If Scott were plugged in at middle linebacker, last year’s third-round draft pick from Miami, Tavares Gooden, could wind up playing next to Scott inside.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh has already made a pitch to Scott to stay in Baltimore.

“He told me that the team was interested in retaining my services and I always made it clear that I wanted to be here in Baltimore,” Scott said. “I understand it’s a business. It’s unique to free agency that you have three star linebackers up at the same time. You can make an argument for any one of those guys. Now, if you’re able to keep all three of us you’d almost have to be a miracle worker.

“I don’t know if Terrell Suggs’ hometown discount is going to work out. I wish he would have talked to me before he said that because I never knew that. I’ve been giving discounts since I’ve been in the le ague. I was like, ‘Hey, I’ve been the Wal-Mart Rollback special since I’ve been in the league, man.”

Translation: If the Ravens want Scott, who could draw interest from several teams in free agency including the Kansas City Chiefs, it won’t be cheap.

thetedginnshow
02-22-2009, 04:02 PM
If we happen to be going the deep threat WR route, I'd be very interested in Mike Wallace in the 2nd.

derza222
02-22-2009, 05:49 PM
If we happen to be going the deep threat WR route, I'd be very interested in Mike Wallace in the 2nd.

Wow, do you really see him going that early? I was thinking maybe third, but I really like the guy also.

Anybody think it's possible Crabs goes freefall if he runs a bad time with his inability to practice for 8 weeks after the surgery on top of it? As much as I'd love somebody to stretch the field if he's on the board at 17 I see no reason we wouldn't jump on it.

thetedginnshow
02-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Wow, do you really see him going that early? I was thinking maybe third, but I really like the guy also.

Anybody think it's possible Crabs goes freefall if he runs a bad time with his inability to practice for 8 weeks after the surgery on top of it? As much as I'd love somebody to stretch the field if he's on the board at 17 I see no reason we wouldn't jump on it.

I don't know. With his combine numbers and on-field production nearly identical to Darrius Heyward-Bey's, I find it hard to believe that he'll make it to the second day, especially considering all the teams that have WR needs.

As for Crabtree... well, I don't know. I'd definitely want him, but I just don't know where we'd really trade up. If for some crazy reason he gets beyond JAX, the Pack have gone on record that they're pretty much going to stand pat, the 49ers have bigger WR concerns than us, I doubt the Bills would trade with us, and I'm sure the Broncos want to stay at least where they are to bring in a stud for that defense. I don't know. I'd love to see it happen, but I won't get my hopes up.

derza222
02-22-2009, 06:10 PM
I don't know. With his combine numbers and on-field production nearly identical to Darrius Heyward-Bey's, I find it hard to believe that he'll make it to the second day, especially considering all the teams that have WR needs.

As for Crabtree... well, I don't know. I'd definitely want him, but I just don't know where we'd really trade up. If for some crazy reason he gets beyond JAX, the Pack have gone on record that they're pretty much going to stand pat, the 49ers have bigger WR concerns than us, I doubt the Bills would trade with us, and I'm sure the Broncos want to stay at least where they are to bring in a stud for that defense. I don't know. I'd love to see it happen, but I won't get my hopes up.

Makes sense. On a similar note to Crabtree, Maclin ran what, an official 4.45? I wouldn't mind seeing him get taken behind some other guys and slip some. Wonder if this cools off the talk of him going #7 some.

okay123
02-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Makes sense. On a similar note to Crabtree, Maclin ran what, an official 4.45? I wouldn't mind seeing him get taken behind some other guys and slip some. Wonder if this cools off the talk of him going #7 some.

i would definitely love to get maclin if he falls to us at 17. he's such an explosive player, i wouldn't put too much stock into that 40 time. his football speed is incredible. he's just what this offense needs in my opinion.

Crickett
02-22-2009, 06:43 PM

I'm not sure Maclin ran an official 40 time because he got hurt. I can't find it anywhere if he did. His unofficial was 4.37.

derza222
02-22-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm not sure Maclin ran an official 40 time because he got hurt. I can't find it anywhere if he did. His unofficial was 4.37.

Interesting. I saw somebody on here say official 4.45 which would explain why he isn't on that top 10 list. Regardless I'd love to have him in the mix, the 40 wouldn't scare me off at all but I hope it scares off some teams.

GET LOOSE
02-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Yea Maclin did run the 40 and did the vertical jump after he got hurt and came back. He had a 35inch vert and I think it was either a 4.43 or 4.45 40

thetedginnshow
02-25-2009, 12:28 AM
http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=09000d5d80eea152&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true&icampaign=DW_Combine_wednesday

Hakeem Nicks says: "BIG hands equals BIG catches in BIG games!"

derza222
02-25-2009, 10:27 AM
http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=09000d5d80eea152&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true&icampaign=DW_Combine_wednesday

Hakeem Nicks says: "BIG hands equals BIG catches in BIG games!"

He's a stud. Maybe he fits us better than I give him credit for...I just see a slightly faster slightly stronger Cotchery when I watch him. Perhaps Anquan Boldin-esque? Wouldn't be unhappy with drafting him because I think he's going to be a legit player, just not sure it's a stellar fit. Maybe that's a direction we elect to go in if we view Clowney as enough of a field stretcher...

BroadwayJoe10
02-25-2009, 10:52 AM
He's a stud. Maybe he fits us better than I give him credit for...I just see a slightly faster slightly stronger Cotchery when I watch him. Perhaps Anquan Boldin-esque? Wouldn't be unhappy with drafting him because I think he's going to be a legit player, just not sure it's a stellar fit. Maybe that's a direction we elect to go in if we view Clowney as enough of a field stretcher...

That's been my view on him for a while. I like him a lot and think he'll be a good fit on a team, but I just don't think he compliments our receivers well. He reminds me of Cotch a lot and I really don't see the Boldin Comparisons all that much.

I know a lot of people have given him the Boldin comparison, but I feel that every receiver with good hands, who isn't too fast and is physical is given that label. I like nicks, but i just don't see him inflict the punishment that Q does, when the ball is in his hands. He still seems like a receiver after he catches it when Q turns into a running back.

In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if we went Tyson Jackson in the first. He is the perfect 5 technique and it shores up our DE positions and gives Rex a lot of flexibility. I just can't wait till FA starts so we know what's up.

Crickett
02-25-2009, 11:17 AM
That's been my view on him for a while. I like him a lot and think he'll be a good fit on a team, but I just don't think he compliments our receivers well. He reminds me of Cotch a lot and I really don't see the Boldin Comparisons all that much.

I know a lot of people have given him the Boldin comparison, but I feel that every receiver with good hands, who isn't too fast and is physical is given that label. I like nicks, but i just don't see him inflict the punishment that Q does, when the ball is in his hands. He still seems like a receiver after he catches it when Q turns into a running back.

The Boldin comparisons comes from his status as the premiere "possession" receiver in the NFL so any perceived possession receiver will be compared to him. I think Nicks is a quality receiver prospect and I think he could be a 90 catch 1100 yard guy. But as you said, he reminds you of Jerricho Cotchery, and the Jets already have Jerricho Cotchery, why do they need another?

derza222
02-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Only reason I really bring up Boldin is because Nicks is strong as hell and won't do a ton for you deep but is very, very good after the catch. He's bullied his way into the endzone on more than one occasion, partially due to being tough but he's also really strong. Boldin's the first guy who comes to mind when I think of a wideout like that, I guess there's TO as well but not many YAC guys in the league are the strong bully type and Nicks fits into that mold in my eyes. Still hope Maclin slips.

josh07039
02-25-2009, 03:10 PM
I don't really want Nicks. I agree with everyone who compares him to Cotchery. I don't see him close to being on the level with Boldin.

thetedginnshow
02-25-2009, 04:10 PM
I don't know. To me, I feel like there's a reason why Nicks has gotten more hype than Cotchery, especially considering Cotchery played with Rivers and got plenty of media attention. I think the hands separate them mostly, but Nicks's short-area quickness really stands out. I liken him most to Michael Irvin, at least in terms of play. Obviously I don't believe he'll be a HOFer.

But I don't know. There are just certain receivers I'd rather not draft, though my extremely high confidence in Ryan is making me feel as though we can draft anyone and it'd work.

derza222
03-04-2009, 11:09 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that Cotchery's draft was ridiculously stacked with WR talent. Point taken, though. Nicks certainly has gotten a lot more pub than him regardless.

Rotoworld says the Dolphins are interested in Nicks. He makes sense as a YAC guy with Pennington at QB and somebody to play across from Ginn. I'd be really disappointed if he fell that far and they actually took him.

Young Nasty Man
03-04-2009, 12:18 PM
I think you can't compare him to Boldin yet because your talking about a top 10 receiver in Boldin and Hakeem Nicks hasn't played in the NFL yet. Though of all the receivers in the draft, I think he is the most NFL ready. Its kinda like last year between Chris Long and Vernon Gholston. While last year Chris Long was the most NFL ready, Gholston had a bigger boom/bust potential. Im not saying there is another receiver to add to that list but I think Hakeem Nicks is the most NFL ready. If we are able to trade down, I'd do it to get him. But if Maclin is on the board, I wouldn't think twice and draft Maclin in a heart beat.

roscoesdad27
03-06-2009, 02:04 PM
1) M. Sanchez q.b. usc
franchise type qb. picked in a similiar spot to flaccoo last year and will likewise be partnered with a first time head coach...great accuracy, arm strength and overall athleticism...will push for the starting spot day 1.

2) D. Butler w.r. penn state
extremely fast w.r. with great hands would compliment your other players and be a dynamic slot/#2 guy...sleeper.

3) K. Mitchell d.e./d.t. e. carolina
huge d.t. with a great frame could project to be the hybrid d.t./3-4 d.e. that rex uses in his defense ala holoti ngata...fills a need at 3-4 d.e. at great value here and can play backup n.t. as well....sleeper

complete mock here
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1533596&posted=1#post1533596

thoughts?

TT Gator
03-17-2009, 01:08 AM
I think WR is a lock for the first round. With the loss of Coles, a young unproven signal caller at the helm, and all the great defencive players we picked up in free agency it's the only sane pick. While Cotchery proved he can be a big part of the offence the last couple years beyond him theres not much depth. Stucky and Smith are decent in 3-4 WR spreads but if we go with one of them as are #2 and an inexperianced QB throwing to them are offence is going to struggle. IMO it will(and should) be Harvin or DHB two guys with tons of potential/speed they'll catch short inside passes in slot, be able to get seperation on deep patterns and burn everybody on the defence. Because of everything thats happened getting Maclin is not impossible any more and remember how far receivers slipped last year though i'm sure he'll probably be gone theres a chance. If not we'll get Harvin, his experiance playing in one of the toughest divisions in college, being able to contribute receiving, rushing and returning, playing in alot of big games including two championship games, and being able to break a big play anytime he gets the ball will give him the advantage. Also he seems like he'd fit well in the Jets offence and has the elite speed we desperatly need at receiver. It may be because he's cut in Coles' mold but I think he's exactly the type of WR we need playing beside Cotchery. I know some worry about injuries but his durability has been blown way out of proportion.(he only missed 3 games in college and has played through injuries before) If we picked DHB I wouldn't be upset I think he has tons of talent and will be a good receiver for along time but I think because he was underused (and played weaker talent) he'll need to develop a year or two before reaching his potential. Where as Harvin played in tons of big games againest top talent and was 1 of the 2 main threats on Florida's offence. I believe he can come out his rookie year and start putting up big numbers(just my opinion). Nicks, Britt, and Robeskie are all talented but it would be way too early for any of them and they are all too similar to Cotchery. If for some reason we go somewhere else 1st round we should def pick one of them in the 2nd if any are still around. Nice call on Leonhard Get Loose, with him playing beside Rhodes, Sheppard with Revis, and Scott leading the defence with Harris the Jets D is going to kill offences next year.

BroadwayJoe10
03-20-2009, 09:36 PM
Huge fan of Gilbert; he could definitely thrive in Rex's system. I bet Rex feels the same way, considering he was actually on the field running the drills at Gilbert's proday.

http://www.tfydraft.com/news.php?newsID=529

UPDATE 3:30PM EST

Twenty six teams were on hand at San Jose State as they started the workout bright and early on a cold and breezy morning.

The star of the day, Jarron Gilbert, delivered as expected.

Gilbert measured 6051/284-pounds, four less than his combine weight. His jumps were fantastic as Gilbert posted a 37-inch vertical jump and 10-foot 7-inch broad. His forty's averaged 4.76 seconds, significantly faster than his performance at the combine. Gilbert's 10yd split was 1.67-seconds and his 20yd-split was 2.75 seconds. He ran into a slight breeze. Later Gilbert ran in the low 4.4's in the short shuttle and posted a 3-cone time of 7.57 seconds.

The almost three dozen scouts on hand watched as New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan put Gilbert through a series if defensive line drills. Even as the defensive backs started their workout the scouts paid little attention, watching every detail of Gilbert's session work. By all accounts it was a terrific performance and Gilbert is very much knocking on the door of round one.

derza222
03-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Huge fan of Gilbert; he could definitely thrive in Rex's system. I bet Rex feels the same way, considering he was actually on the field running the drills at Gilbert's proday.

http://www.tfydraft.com/news.php?newsID=529

UPDATE 3:30PM EST

Twenty six teams were on hand at San Jose State as they started the workout bright and early on a cold and breezy morning.

The star of the day, Jarron Gilbert, delivered as expected.

Gilbert measured 6051/284-pounds, four less than his combine weight. His jumps were fantastic as Gilbert posted a 37-inch vertical jump and 10-foot 7-inch broad. His forty's averaged 4.76 seconds, significantly faster than his performance at the combine. Gilbert's 10yd split was 1.67-seconds and his 20yd-split was 2.75 seconds. He ran into a slight breeze. Later Gilbert ran in the low 4.4's in the short shuttle and posted a 3-cone time of 7.57 seconds.

The almost three dozen scouts on hand watched as New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan put Gilbert through a series if defensive line drills. Even as the defensive backs started their workout the scouts paid little attention, watching every detail of Gilbert's session work. By all accounts it was a terrific performance and Gilbert is very much knocking on the door of round one.

I could totally handle trading up into the late first/early second to draft him, preferably after drafting a WR at 17. It'd definitely be a Tannenbaum move, and would be a fantastic day 1 (depending on the WR).

thetedginnshow
03-21-2009, 05:47 AM
I wonder how often the team that runs the drills for a player actually end up drafting him. I'd definitely like to see us do it though.

And now with this TJ contract dispute and the fact that we haven't re-signed Leon yet for some reason, I think it's a very real possibility that we go RB First Day.

derza222
03-21-2009, 07:40 PM
I wonder how often the team that runs the drills for a player actually end up drafting him. I'd definitely like to see us do it though.

And now with this TJ contract dispute and the fact that we haven't re-signed Leon yet for some reason, I think it's a very real possibility that we go RB First Day.

RB as in Chris Wells (sleeper in the first), Andre Brown, Rashad Jennings type or just best RB available leaving a Donald Brown, LeSean McCoy type open?

thetedginnshow
03-21-2009, 11:48 PM
RB as in Chris Wells (sleeper in the first), Andre Brown, Rashad Jennings type or just best RB available leaving a Donald Brown, LeSean McCoy type open?

The former, but I'd add in Moreno. I just think his attitude and the fact that he's from Jersey will appeal to Rex.

derza222
03-22-2009, 12:32 AM
The former, but I'd add in Moreno. I just think his attitude and the fact that he's from Jersey will appeal to Rex.

Interesting. I kind of hope not to be honest, but I'll have to trust it if it happens I guess.

I'm still very curious about the TE position right now. Probably the most blatant lack of depth we have anywhere on the team, and given we haven't really signed anybody I wonder if we've got a few guys in the draft we like. Wouldn't be shocked if we found a guy we liked and reached for him in the third, fourth, or fifth round just to make sure we get him. That is, if we don't sign anybody between now and the draft.

thetedginnshow
03-25-2009, 01:08 AM
I was watching a video of Rex and he pretty much said we're going BPA, but he also said there's a few spots we could be stronger at. But basically, I think it means that we won't see a reach (at least in their eyes, and hopefully the draftnik community as well). He also made it pretty apparent that a lot of faith is put into Tannenbaum and his word, but I'm still not really sure how similar our drafting will be to what they did in the Mangini era.

And another thing of note, but Henry Ellard (WR coach) has been to every Pro Day of all the potential first round receivers. So, I guess he's doing his due diligence and we can't really cross anyone off the list.

derza222
03-25-2009, 03:19 PM
I was watching a video of Rex and he pretty much said we're going BPA, but he also said there's a few spots we could be stronger at. But basically, I think it means that we won't see a reach (at least in their eyes, and hopefully the draftnik community as well). He also made it pretty apparent that a lot of faith is put into Tannenbaum and his word, but I'm still not really sure how similar our drafting will be to what they did in the Mangini era.

And another thing of note, but Henry Ellard (WR coach) has been to every Pro Day of all the potential first round receivers. So, I guess he's doing his due diligence and we can't really cross anyone off the list.

Pretty interesting. I think one thing we're going to be doing is look at the draft in tiers, similar to the 2007 draft where we got Baby Lockdown and Harris. If we decide the value for players drops off considerably, say at 12, we're probably going to try and move up. If we think there are 20 good players in the draft, we probably stand pat. And if we see a lack of in the mid-later rounds we'll probably get rid of those picks, whereas if we like the value we'll probably hang onto them or try to get more.

Lots of options for us this year because we have weaknesses at a lot of positions but are still strong at them if that makes any sense. Lots of the weaknesses are more long-term, though.

I definitely think it's going to be a BPA/position of need thing, because there are enough places we can use help we should be able to find one as opposed to drafting a corner or something. There aren't too many positions you can really rule out for us. Some make less or more sense to draft in the first, but if we decide the guy's the best player on the board and can help the team, like a Chris Wells, it's tough to really question doing that vs. reaching for a lower-tier WR.

Matt56
03-06-2010, 09:56 PM
derza222 I agree the way we now draft is look for a player we like and go get him! We rather get 4 good players in a 7 round draft then seven player that might work out. Mr T has done a good job with this except for Vernon G! OUCH