PDA

View Full Version : Eugene Monroe

foozball
04-29-2008, 10:21 AM
How good of a prospect is he? Where will he go next year and who will be the better LT in the pros, him or Albert?

ammandss
04-29-2008, 11:18 AM
He was extremely highly regarded coming out of high school from New Jersey. He is 6'6" and 315 pounds, athletic and strong too. He did not play much his freshman year with D'Brick and Brad Butler at the tackle positions. His sophomore year was supposed to be his coming out year, but he played quite poorly and couldn't even secure a starting position. Virginia's offensive line had a lot of talent that year but just couldn't seem to put everything together, especially with their run blocking. Also that was the year that offensive coordinator Prince left to be the head coach at Kansas State, and he was the offensive line coach too.

However, he really stepped up his junior year and was completely dominate. He was great in spring practices too before the season and named one of Virginia's most improved players. He did a very good job in both run and pass blocking this past year and looks to finally take that dominate form that everyone expected. He is big, strong and athletic and looks like he can be a dominate left tackle. Also, it looks like Virginia will play with deeper dropbacks on pass plays this year so we would be able to evaluate his pass protection much better this year.

I think he is a better LT prospect than Branden Albert, but I always liked Albert as a guard. I never even considered him at tackle until Monroe got injured last year (minor injury) and Albert filled in.

Larry121283
04-29-2008, 11:26 AM
He was overly dominant last year. Saw him take Calais Campbell and the 'Canes defensive ends to task last year.

I have him as the second best LT prospect in the draft next year...the kid is a stud in the making. Poised for a big jump in the ratings next year.

Also, mountain of a man.

I stood next to both he and Branden Albert at the O.B. and Monroe is bigger and looks more powerful.

energizerbunny
04-29-2008, 12:12 PM
I loved him out of highschool and saw two of his games last season. He is a beast and could eventually be an elite Left Tackle prospect, I could see him grading out similar to Ferguson.

ammandss
04-29-2008, 02:49 PM
I loved him out of highschool and saw two of his games last season. He is a beast and could eventually be an elite Left Tackle prospect, I could see him grading out similar to Ferguson.

He may have a similar grade to Ferguson but they have different styles. Monroe is much more physical. Also, Monroe was about the same size coming out of high school as he is as a junior. I'm sure a lot of that weight is "better" weight. I think Monroe was benching 350 out of high school.

04-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Considering he was the starting LT over Albert the last few seasons there is no reason to believe he won't be the better LT prospect in the pros.

toonsterwu
04-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Here's the thing - Monroe has all the tools to grade out as a truly elite LT. He has all the tools to grade out higher than D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Branden Albert, as he can be more physical, but he also has the light feet necessary. That said, even in his best year last year, he still showed bouts of inconsistency. If he can stay healthy and put together a top year, he should be a first round pick, and could be a top 10 pick. That said, he's probably starting the year in that 2nd round range as of now.

I mean, Virginia fans wanted to talk up the Peter Lalich coup. The real coup was how we netted Eugene Monroe a few years back. Since the Ahmad Brooks/Michael Johnson (remember him) class, Eugene was without a doubt the best physical talent that we have brought in at any position.

energizerbunny
04-29-2008, 09:08 PM
He may have a similar grade to Ferguson but they have different styles.

That is correct. Monroe carries alot more weight in his lower 2/3s then Ferguson which ultimately will help him out significantly when it comes to the grading period next season.

At this point, from what i've seen I think Monroe can be an elite Left tackle.... while at the same time after seeing Ferguson play in the nfl for the past 2 seasons I'am not sure he will even be able to reach that level

ammandss
04-30-2008, 10:26 AM
D'Brick had a smaller frame and came to Virginia at 250 lbs, while Monroe is a lot stronger and came to Virginia at 315 lbs and benching over 320 lbs. Keep that in mind and interpret it as you may and however you think it affects their development.

P.S. Michael Johnson really annoys me because I had faith all the way until his senior year. Too bad he didn't know what a broken tackle is and was injured all the time. Injuries made his 4.3 in HS into a 4.6 by his senior year.