PDA

View Full Version : Michael Turner

JoeMontainya
02-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Is he still on the trade block? I hope the asking price still isnt a RD1 pick because no team will pay that.

I would give the Chrgers a 3rd RD pick and a conditional pick depending on his productivity (2nd RD threw 5th)

I dont believe the Chargers are desperate to trade him though and would only do it for the right price.

sdpads24
02-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Right now I think AJ is looking for a 1st and a conditional 3rd round pick from what I've heard. That is pretty unrealistic I must say.

SDSupaChargers
02-27-2007, 06:11 PM
I think our best bet would probably be either Cleveland's or the Jet's (via Washington) second round pick, and I think we should take it because even if we resign him for a year he's walking after next year.

JoeMontainya
02-27-2007, 06:47 PM
I am not sure about the Browns organization, but as a fan, if we draft Calvin Johnson, I would be more than happy to give a 2nd for Turner.

But it seems were leaning towards Peterson, which would make Turner a non issue.

IMO the Browns should get CJ and then trade for Turner.

CC.SD
02-28-2007, 01:56 AM
I hope we keep him and use him better than we did last year. Maybe Norv Turner will mix it up a little. You can't always plan for the future, especially when we are gunning for a Superbowl.

San Diego Chicken
02-28-2007, 03:00 AM
Don't be so sure about teams not giving up a #1 for him. The Broncos could be interested according to this article, and other teams. The Chargers have the ball in their court, and should tender him for a 1st rounder at least.

http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/19653

bergo23
03-01-2007, 05:18 PM
The nice thing about AJ's tender is he will control if and where Turner goes. He has said he likes to keep it safe this year with his insurance policy.......then let him go and get us a end of the 3rd conditional pick in 2009....which is a safe move, but if someone knocks his socks off with an offer on draft day and a player he loves is available he can still pull the trigger.....and I am sure he will have those deals in order like he did with Manu for the 4th pick last year.

Detroit traded for Tatum Bell, so their high #2 pick is out...the Jets remain the team most likely to do something with their first, especially if players they like are gona at their pick in the first. Turner is a known commodity to Shotty Jr....and he would be the perfect compliment to Leon Washington in their backfield.

Turner probably stays, and provides IMPORTANT insurance for our run to the Lombardi, and I bet Norv finds ways to get him more involved even as an insurance policy. Norv lives by the running game, we need both horses if we are gonna make a title run.

DonWoods33
03-03-2007, 03:11 PM
I am not sure about the Browns organization, but as a fan, if we draft Calvin Johnson, I would be more than happy to give a 2nd for Turner.

But it seems were leaning towards Peterson, which would make Turner a non issue.

IMO the Browns should get CJ and then trade for Turner.

You da man. I would take that in a heartbeat. What if they traded down and took Branch, and got another 2nd? And say got a corner like Aaron Ross. Then in the 3rd took hometown boy Troy Smith? That would be a good first day for the Brownies. Branch, Turner, Ross, and Smith. You might even get your old coach back next year!

BoltHype
03-03-2007, 05:32 PM
a team can do two different things if they want Turner:

1. Straight up trade picks/players to the Chargers and then work out a new deal with Turner, who will only have 1 year left on the contract.

2. Sign him to an offer sheet. Chargers will choose to decline to match the offer and the team that gets Turner loses their 1st and 3rd.

JoeMontainya
03-03-2007, 07:12 PM
If noone else shows interest, do you give up Turner for the Browns early 2nd round pick or do you prefer to keep him?

DonWoods33
03-03-2007, 07:17 PM
a team can do two different things if they want Turner:

1. Straight up trade picks/players to the Chargers and then work out a new deal with Turner, who will only have 1 year left on the contract.

2. Sign him to an offer sheet. Chargers will choose to decline to match the offer and the team that gets Turner loses their 1st and 3rd.

The trade would probably be contingent on the new team getting him to agree to a longer team deal. And trade probably won't happen until near the draft. So some of the contract details will have to worked out by then. Of course the Chargers are on the hook to the guy this year for 2.5 million. I guess thats why AJ Smith gets paid the big bucks.

bergo23
03-04-2007, 06:06 AM
Corey Dillon to the Jets makes a lot of sense, Mangenius sticks it to Belly and Co, he is the perfect combo to Leon Washington.......so that is a strike against us for them giving up their first rounder to get Turner.

zdh87
03-05-2007, 01:42 PM
I hope we keep him and use him better than we did last year. Maybe Norv Turner will mix it up a little. You can't always plan for the future, especially when we are gunning for a Superbowl.

I think we used him pretty well...The Burner and LT basically split carries early on, which I think contributed to LT's late season freshness...usually, towards the end of the season he's a bit worn, but he was just as sick late as early...though, I would like the offense to use him more late in the season, in 2 Back sets and short yardage just to protect LT.

They should protect The Burner like the Falcons do with Matt Schaub...if you want him, pay for him...we have tons of cap room and can afford to resign him

sdpads24
03-06-2007, 12:38 AM
Well Jets are pretty much out of the question with their trade for Thomas Jones

DonWoods33
03-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Well Jets are pretty much out of the question with their trade for Thomas Jones

Well there is still Cleveland...

JoeMontainya
03-07-2007, 01:02 PM
We wouldnt give up our 2nd round pick for him. We would only give up a third. And I doubt you will be able to trade the guy. Especialyl asking for a 1st when hes never carried the load before.

Your just seriously overrating the guy. He will walk in FA when his 1 year contract is up and you wont get any compensation for him. Maybe a supplemental pick.

JoeMontainya
03-07-2007, 01:04 PM
"we have tons of cap room and can afford to resign him"

He wont resign to be a career back-up. He can make starter money on another team. hes alot like lamont Jordan. Both tore it up in limited action.

DonWoods33
03-07-2007, 02:13 PM
We wouldnt give up our 2nd round pick for him. We would only give up a third. And I doubt you will be able to trade the guy. Especialyl asking for a 1st when hes never carried the load before.

Your just seriously overrating the guy. He will walk in FA when his 1 year contract is up and you wont get any compensation for him. Maybe a supplemental pick.

Alright I will take your 41 but I need something next year a conditional 3rd if he plays in over 50% of the snaps.

defensiveback23
03-08-2007, 12:48 AM

He wont resign to be a career back-up. He can make starter money on another team. hes alot like lamont Jordan. Both tore it up in limited action.

Turner is faster and a heck of a lot more powerdul than Jordan.

If we end up keeping Turner this year, I would not be surprised to see us franchise him next year. We have the cap room to keep him if we want to but it means that we will still be able to trade him and get some value.

ricky bobby
03-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Nobody will give up a 1st and 3rd for Turner. Turner will stay in SD and hold out or be traded for a lesser price. He knows his worth and how high his stock is right now. He won't want to spend another year backing up LT. He can get a contract similar to what McGahee got, if he goes to another team. The market for a RB is fading fast and there are only a couple teams left with a huge need for a RB. The Giants may be one of those teams. You guys need a Safety, we need a RB. I have a proposition. Michael Turner for Gibril Wilson straight up. Would you do that deal?

BoltHype
03-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Nobody will give up a 1st and 3rd for Turner. Turner will stay in SD and hold out or be traded for a lesser price. He knows his worth and how high his stock is right now. He won't want to spend another year backing up LT. He can get a contract similar to what McGahee got, if he goes to another team. The market for a RB is fading fast and there are only a couple teams left with a huge need for a RB. The Giants may be one of those teams. You guys need a Safety, we need a RB. I have a proposition. Michael Turner for Gibril Wilson straight up. Would you do that deal?

we know that a 1st and 3rd will be hard to give up. thats why AJ did it. so that we control him. we can always TRADE him for less, but no one will come in and sign him away from us if they have to give up a 1st and 3rd.

we wouldnt want wilson for turner straight up tho. you guys would need to toss in your second rounder at least.

ricky bobby
03-09-2007, 01:25 PM
we know that a 1st and 3rd will be hard to give up. thats why AJ did it. so that we control him. we can always TRADE him for less, but no one will come in and sign him away from us if they have to give up a 1st and 3rd.

we wouldnt want wilson for turner straight up tho. you guys would need to toss in your second rounder at least.

Not happening. Look at what Willis McGahee was traded for. A third and a fifth. I would take McGahee over Turner any day of the week. Nobody is giving a 1st and 3rd for Turner. The market is fading fast, and Smith better move him soon. Turner will not want to stay as a backup and will hold out, become a free agent next year, and you guys will get nothing in return for him. Wilson has 2nd round comp. on him, is just as young as Turner, and far more productive at his respective position.

clumping platelets
03-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Would the Chargers be interested in swapping 1st rd picks with the Bills?

Bills send 12th overall and 7th from Balt to SD for 30th overall, RB Turner, and mid rd pick in 08

sdpads24
03-10-2007, 05:45 PM

Bills send 12th overall and 7th from Balt to SD for 30th overall, RB Turner, and mid rd pick in 08

Thats an interesting possibilty. AJ would have to consider that.

BoltHype
03-10-2007, 07:11 PM

I asked charger fans about this about a week ago except it was a swap with the Giants at pick 20. about 80% of fans said NO to the idea, but it might be a different story will the bills because we would have a shot at Landry or Nelson.

clumping platelets
03-10-2007, 10:20 PM
I asked charger fans about this about a week ago except it was a swap with the Giants at pick 20. about 80% of fans said NO to the idea, but it might be a different story will the bills because we would have a shot at Landry or Nelson.

at #12, Bolts would be in position to add Ginn as well

CC.SD
03-13-2007, 02:14 PM

With an outside shot at Landry, too.

SDSupaChargers
03-13-2007, 04:46 PM

With Ginn not running he might be dropping to us anyways. I like the idea of Landry or Nelson though, and I would definitely do that trade. The fact of the matter is that it's not that hard to find a back up running back and Turner is just going to walk after this season anyways.

PackerLegend
03-22-2007, 06:56 PM
I have heard rumors of the Packers and Chargers swapping picks. Packers get Turner and #30 and the chargers get #16 and another pick or player

princefielder28
03-22-2007, 06:57 PM
I have heard rumors of the Packers and Chargers swapping picks. Packers get Turner and #30 and the chargers get #16 and another pick or player

I would be welcomed to that idea being a Packers fan :)

Boltbaby
03-25-2007, 03:24 PM

Buffalo is actually one of the teams that we are hearing the most buzz about a trade with. There is a lot of history between the Chargers FO and the Bills. We don't want to see Turner too often, so Buffalo would be an ideal AFC team for him to go to. The twelfth pick would give the bolts a shot at a great safety or receiver, Reggie Nelson would probably still be there or Rice (however character issues may preclude them from taking Rice.)

There is also some talk about the Packers having interest in a trade for Turner. That would also be a great fit.

bantx
03-25-2007, 04:33 PM
If we do get the pick, I'd pefer a safty. Then draft a WR in 2nd round or 3rd.

JK17
03-25-2007, 08:47 PM
If we do get the pick, I'd pefer a safty. Then draft a WR in 2nd round or 3rd.

Gotta agree, I really like Jason Hill and want to see the Chargers get him in the second round somewhere, but you can't really argue with going first round WR if they do, there's plenty of S depth in the draft this year. Either way, past history shows whatever AJ decides won't be too bad. See 2004 draft.

da-giez
03-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Packers swap 16th 4 30th and Turner....Nelson should still be there for you guys and Ginn jr, Meachem, Jarrett, Bowe which ever way you guys would want to go and the Packers solve running back prob. The only thing is it would have to be a draft day trade incase Marshawn fall to the Packers at 16 then they would take him over Turner.

If the Chargers did make this trade and want to go WR (Bowe, Jarrett, or Meachem) I'd trade down back into the 20's and grab and extra 2nd round pick that would be great for you guys. You moved up from 30 and got an extra 2nd for a back-up behind possibly the greatest running back of all time (when its all said and done)!

zdh87
03-28-2007, 09:29 AM
Right now I think AJ is looking for a 1st and a conditional 3rd round pick from what I've heard. That is pretty unrealistic I must say.

I don't know how unrealistic it is...The Falcons got swapped 1st Rounders and got the Texans 2nd rounder this year. Matt Schaub has much less proven ability then The Burner.

ChefMike
03-28-2007, 07:19 PM
THe Problem here is Michael Turner has a tag on him for a 1st and 3rd as an UFA. Not sure I see that happening...I think with the change in coaching staff you don't want to change to many things and with Turner in the backfield you can get another quality season out of his legs and draft someone late in the 4th or 5th to be the 3rd back. Maybe like a Chris Henry or Garrett Wolfe a fellow NIU Wildcat

bergo23
03-30-2007, 02:18 PM
AJ made the right move giving him the highest tender, now he controls where Micheal goes. We are even loaded behind Turner, as Sproles is unproven but very talented, and same with Pinnock. We don't need Wolfe (Sproles), but will probably look at a bigger back on the second day.

I wish the burner nothing but the best, and would love for him to terrorize the Pats twice a year in Buffalo. He was awesome last year, and his big run against Indy the year before, kind of put him on the map of GM's around the league.

zdh87
04-04-2007, 12:20 PM
I've heard all the same rumors; however, it appears as though a sign-and-trade deal is more likely, a la Matt Schaub to the Texans, so the team getting The Burner will not have him land on the open market in one year. It appears that the Bills would be in the best shape b/c they have the high pick, but the Titans have been kicking around the idea of packaging picks this year and next. The Packers will only acquire the rights to the Burner if Marshawn is gone, as stated before in this forum. I too wish the Burner all the best and hope he gets to a team that will make him a great back that he can be.

zdh87
04-04-2007, 12:25 PM

If you remember, LaMont stayed with the Jets for a long time before he got his shot so did Chester Taylor. Its not like there's no precedent in the organization either...Phillip Rivers and Drew Brees?

JK17
04-06-2007, 10:21 AM
If you remember, LaMont stayed with the Jets for a long time before he got his shot so did Chester Taylor. Its not like there's no precedent in the organization either...Phillip Rivers and Drew Brees?

Lamont was only with the Jets for one more year than Turner has been with SD though. And as for Rivers and Brees, Brees stayed around because he was the starter, and Rivers stayed around because he was under contract and it had only been two seasons before he could get his shot.

SDCanesFan
04-08-2007, 11:59 AM
It's funny the topic of Turner is re-emerging in these forums from other fans of other teams...it actually has me laughing off my rocker...they thought I was silly back then...bwhahahaha!