PDA

View Full Version : Roster/contracts/needs

Pages : 1 [2]

Geo
09-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Boy, I really hope the Colts claim Maurice Evans on waivers.

If nothing else, he could be a good short-term solution for the bigger type of DE they now want.

Ed Johnson was a dope at Penn State (and afterward), he went undrafted, but right now he's the best Colts DT by far and is a very good player. Take the chance on Evans imo, maybe the light has turned on for him too. Especially with a former college teammate in Johnson to clue him in to the opportunity before him.

That is what I am hoping for right now.

Dom Rhodes is available, not quite sure what to think about that. We know what Rhodes can bring to the table, but that fact of that matter is that he's already lost some of his speed and could be somewhat near the end of his career. Mike Hart has his career ahead of him, if he can stay healthy.

I wouldn't be mad if they brought Dom back, but with Addai healthy and future stud Donald Brown, having his veteran experience isn't necessary like it was last year. I wish him well though, I think it was a bad move by Buffalo to release him because they need his pass blocking experience in their attempt at a no-huddle offense (with a completely brand new offensive line).

Seamus2602
09-05-2009, 06:36 PM
The argument about Dominic Rhodes that I would bring is that if Mike Hart is hurt, and can't play at his full level, then Rhodes should be brought back as he is a massive upgrade over a hurt Mike Hart, and an upgrade over both Lance Ball and Chad Simpson. He could also provide veteran leadership and experience to the likes of Brown, Hart and potentially Ball, if Ball is retained on the Practice Squad.

MaxV
09-05-2009, 07:59 PM
I don't know that Rhodes is an upgrade over Ball or Simpson. There is a reason he got cut. And Bills are in bigger need of back then we are with Lynch being out for 4 weeks.

Seamus2602
09-05-2009, 08:11 PM
If we had resigned Rhodes in the Offseason then we would have signed him as the player who lead the team in total Touchdowns. It would have cost the team a fair amount for an older Running Back. Now, if the team resigns him, we are getting a player who can't make it on a team with out a starter for 1/4 of the season. He'll come much cheaper. I think Rhodes is an improvement over Ball and Simpson, he showed that last year.

Seamus2602
09-05-2009, 08:15 PM
The Colts have waived running back Lance Ball, wide receiver Sam Giguere, defensive lineman John Gill, defensive tackle Adrian Grady, running back Mike Hart, defensive end Marcus Howard, defensive back Dante Hughes, center Steve Justice, wide receiver John Matthews, wide receiver Brett McDermott, running back Walter Mendenhall, offensive lineman Tom Pestock, wide receiver Taj Smith, linebacker Michael Tauiliili, defensive tackle Terrance Taylor, offensive lineman Jaimie Thomas, defensive end Josh Thomas and offensive tackle Michael Toudouze. Waived-Injured were: defensive backs Nick Graham and Travis Key and tight end Jamie Petrowski.

chad72
09-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Justin Miller, KR, waived from Raiders, returned 2 kickoffs for TDs last year.

Yamon Figurs, KR, waived from Ravens, excellent speed, will help with return game as well.

Mitch King, unwisely chose Titans, he is cut, I do think the Colts may be interested in him, they were one of the teams that vied for his services as an UDFA, he just chose the Titans

Seamus2602
09-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Final Roster:

18 - Peyton Manning - QB
12 - Jim Sorgi - QB
7 - Curtis Painter - QB

29 - Joseph Addai - RB
31 - Donald Brown - RB
35 - Chad Simpson - RB

87 - Reggie Wayne - WR
11 - Anthony Gonzalez - WR
17 - Austin Collie - WR
85 - Pierre Garçon - WR

44 - Dallas Clark - TE
47 - Gijon Robinson - TE
84 - Jacob Tamme - TE
86 - Tom Santi - TE

71 - Ryan Diem - OT
74 - Charlie Johnson - OT
67 - Tony Ugoh - OT

65 - Ryan Lilja - OG
78 - Mike Pollak - OG
61 - Jamey Richard - OG/C
76 - Daniel Federkeil - OG/T

63 - Jeff Saturday - OC
66 - Kyle DeVan - OC

93 - Dwight Freeney - DE
98 - Robert Mathis - DE
79 - Raheem Brock - DE
96 - Keyunta Dawson - DE

91 - Ed Johnson - DT
99 - Antonio Johnson - DT
95 - Fili Moala - DT
68 - Eric Foster - DT
90 - Daniel Muir - DT

55 - Clint Session - WLB
51 - Jordan Senn - WLB
45 - Ramon Humber - WLB

50 - Philip Wheeler - SLB
56 - Tyjuan Hagler - SLB

58 - Gary Brackett - MLB
54 - Freddie Keiaho - MLB

26 - Kelvin Hayden - CB
28 - Marlin Jackson - CB
23 - Tim Jennings - CB
49 - Jerraud Powers - CB
16 - Jacob Lacey - CB
34 - T. J. Rushing - CB

41 - Antoine Bethea - FS
43 - Matt Giordano - FS

26 - Bob Sanders - SS
33 - Melvin Bullitt - SS
40 - Jamie Silva - SS

4 - Adam Vinatieri - K
8 - Shane Andrus - K
1 - Pat McAfee - P
48 - Justin Snow - LS

Ed Johnson doesn't count toward the 53 until Week 2. They'll keep Andrus on the 53 until then just to make sure Vinatieri is okay to go.

Geo
09-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Sad to see Mike Hart cut, but maybe last year's torn ACL and the current ankle injury let him land on the Colts' practice squad for the time being.

Not surprised Chad Simpson made it over Lance Ball, I always said Simpson was the better player. Shouldn't have gone against myself in my projected depth charts. Simpson has speed, but it's north-south speed. And he can catch the ball and do decent in pass blocking.

Terrance Taylor hardly saw much play time this preseason, I wonder if the Colts weren't purposefully trying to limit game tape for other teams to see him?

The more experienced Daniel Muir makes it.

7 linebackers, including Keiaho, Hagler, Humber, and Senn. I'm ready for the team to move on from Keiaho now.

Seamus2602
09-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Possible Practice Squad:

Mike Hart - RB
Lance Ball - RB
Taj Smith - WR
Samuel Giguère - WR
Jaimie Thomas - OG
Terrance Taylor - DT
Adrian Grady - DT
Mike Tauiliili - MLB

Geo
09-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Looks spot on. Two RBs might be too much though, not sure.

Seamus2602
09-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Sad to see Mike Hart cut, but maybe last year's torn ACL and the current ankle injury let him land on the Colts' practice squad for the time being.

He wasn't really able to compete this offseason and thus the team couldn't really evaluate him. Hopefully teams will be wary given the injuries and not claim him and he can spend a year on the Practice Squad, get healthy and show us what he can do next year.

Not surprised Chad Simpson made it over Lance Ball, I always said Simpson was the better player. Shouldn't have gone against myself in my projected depth charts. Simpson has speed, but it's north-south speed. And he can catch the ball and do decent in pass blocking.

I just don't know about Simpson. Maybe he will be a good player for us but I could see us bringing in a replacement (maybe Rhodes) in the next couple of days.

Terrance Taylor hardly saw much play time this preseason, I wonder if the Colts weren't purposefully trying to limit game tape for other teams to see him?

The more experienced Daniel Muir makes it.

It will be interesting to see if they retain Muir after Week 1 when Ed Johnson is brought back into the 53. Muir's playing time could be limited but he could be retained and spell with Mookie. I was very excited when Taylor was drafted and was surprised at how little time he got in PreSeason. I just hope he clears waivers because I could see a team (like the Lions or Falcons) having a go.

7 linebackers, including Keiaho, Hagler, Humber, and Senn. I'm ready for the team to move on from Keiaho now.

Keiaho is our backup Linebacker. He's the only one that can legitimately backup at MIKE, and is probably a better backup at both WILL and SAM than the other three, while the other three, especially Senn, are very good at Special Teams.

MaxV
09-05-2009, 08:37 PM
I'm a bit surprised that Taylor didn't make it, but let's face it, he'll probably never going to be an every-down DT. Anthony, Ed and Muir are all just as big and probably better. I do hope we can retain him on the PS.

I'm very glad Humber and Lacy made the squad. Both look like good finds by BP.

Too bad there wasn't enough room for Tauiliili also, he impressed me too. I hope he'll be on PS.

chad72
09-05-2009, 08:45 PM
I see tweeners like Marcus Howard and Curtis Johnson probably going to 3-4 teams as LBs, where they should have gone in the first place.

I can see a shift in run containment along with pass rush at DE, I can see a guy like Mitch King being picked up, seriously, I do.

Both Taylor and Hart can be on PS if they clear waivers, so I would not be surprised if that happens, same with Grady as well.

BP had to have a lot of balls to admit 5 of his last 2 draft's picks were bad - Marcus Howard, Steve Justice, Mike Hart, Terrance Taylor, and Jaimie Thomas

I do not see tweeners drafted for Coyer's system anymore.

Seamus2602
09-05-2009, 08:58 PM
BP had to have a lot of balls to admit 5 of his last 2 draft's picks were bad - Marcus Howard, Steve Justice, Mike Hart, Terrance Taylor, and Jaimie Thomas

I don't think he's declaring Mike Hart, Terrance Taylor or Jaimie Thomas as bad. I think with both Taylor and Thomas he's saying good players but need to mature into the NFL and are better off doing that on the Practice Squad. With Hart he's saying take a year, ease yourself back into and we'll see about you next year. I don't believe the Colts have seen the last of Hart, Taylor or Thomas.

MaxV
09-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Well, I don't know if those picks were bad as much as maybe the rest of our players are good.

I think those players were victims of depth.

chad72
09-05-2009, 09:13 PM
I don't think he's declaring Mike Hart, Terrance Taylor or Jaimie Thomas as bad. I think with both Taylor and Thomas he's saying good players but need to mature into the NFL and are better off doing that on the Practice Squad. With Hart he's saying take a year, ease yourself back into and we'll see about you next year. I don't believe the Colts have seen the last of Hart, Taylor or Thomas.

I don't think we have seen the last of Hart, Taylor or Thomas either.

Hey, a good zone blocking prospect in many Colts fan mock drafts - OT Jamon Meredith got released by the Packers. Also, OT Alex Boone got released by the 49ers.

Alex Boone may be more of a project but Jamon Meredith may have more upside with us as a tackle. Worth a shot???

Geo
09-05-2009, 10:55 PM
The Colts probably aren't done just yet, I agree. At least one more move could be coming.

UKfan
09-06-2009, 05:56 AM
I liked Jamon, would love to see him come in

UKfan
09-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Boy, I really hope the Colts claim Maurice Evans on waivers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/06/bucs-pick-up-maurice-evans-from-giants/

Sorry/

Geo
09-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Yeah, that was a bummer, but not surprising. Someone was bound to pick him up, and the Colts have among the worst waiver priority because they are among the best teams in the league. I just wonder who else put a claim on him, if the Colts were one.

Jamon Meredith passes waivers and the Packers signed him to their practice squad, per rotoworld.

But there is at least one addition to the Colts so far, safety Aaron Francisco formerly of the Arizona Cardinals: (http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/KentSomers/62139)

Francisco to the Colts

Former Cardinals safety Aaron Francisco will sign a one-year deal with the Colts, his agent said today.

Francisco was a vested veteran so he wasn't subject to the waiver process. He was a free agent and decided the Colts were the best fit for him. The Colts will be without starting safety Bob Sanders for a week or two, so they were looking to bolster the position.

Francisco was on his way to Indianapolis on Sunday, said his agent, Max Hannemann.

The Cardinals cut Francisco on Friday. He could get a chance to play against his old team. The Cardinals play the Colts in Glendale in week three.
The word on him is great special teams player, horrible defender.

Sounds better than Giordano imo.

UKfan
09-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Adam Schefter's Twitter says...

Colts waived DB Matt Giordano and claimed off waivers LB Cody Glenn (D5-09 choice of Washington; 6-0, 240, Nebraska).

Interesting.

Seamus2602
09-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Colts have announced the Practice Squad:

Tight end Colin Cloherty, wide receivers Sam Giguere, John Matthews and Taj Smith, defensive lineman John Gill, running back Mike Hart and guard Jaimie Thomas.

No Terrance Taylor or Lance Ball?

RagingColt
09-06-2009, 07:15 PM
No Taylor and no Howard on the roster is puzzling at best. At least Humbler made the team after a great preseason.

Geo
09-06-2009, 08:53 PM
1. Good to see Francisco over Giordano as a back-up safety, if Francisco is the special teams standout he's supposed to be. They're both bad safeties, but Giordano wasn't a good special teams player either. Back-ups should be good special teamers for Coach Ray.

2. Speaking of upgrading special teams, maybe that's part of the appeal in Cody Glenn. Interesting roster pick-up, the Colts must have liked what they see in evaluating him before the Draft or in his time with Washington in the preseason.

He's a weakside linebacker prospect though, from all indications. 8 linebackers in total and now behind Session is a glut with Jordan Senn, Cody Glenn, and Freddy Keiaho. Some fat to be trimmed there, I think. Maybe real soon, after Week 1 when Ed Johnson completes his suspension.

3. There's still one more practice squad spot left, keep in mind. Adrian Grady or Terrance Taylor would be my guess maybe, Grady the more favored.

John Matthews was my sleeper before training camp, but he made some major mistakes in the last two preseason games. Looked like Brett McDermott would get the PS nod over him, but Matthews showed something for him to stick.

I wonder about Giguere, but the Colts saw something in Dan Federkeil and developed him for years, and Federkeil looks pretty good now.

MaxV
09-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Wait, doesn't someone else have to be released? We've added 2 and released 1.

Geo
09-07-2009, 02:15 AM
Francisco will be signed once he passes his physical. Presumably that hasn't happened yet. Once it does, someone will have to be released or waived.

Hmm, you know what popped into my head? Maybe that's why the Colts are keeping a practice squad spot open, that the person they will release for Francisco will take the 8th and final spot on the PS.

And that's after all the other NFL teams have essentially filled up their rosters and practice squads. Quite ingenious, if that is their plan.

Then again maybe who they release and who they sign for the last spot on the PS could be two different matters.

Seamus2602
09-07-2009, 05:14 AM
If I was a wagering man, I'd say the 8th guy was Ramon Humber. They have signed Cody Glenn and it means we now have 8 Linebackers on the 53 man Roster. A lot of people think 7 is overkill. So I think it will be a Linebacker and only Glenn and Humber are Practice Squad eligible.

The good thing about Glenn is that he provides the Colts with another big, yet still fast, Linebacker. It does open up the possibility that if they sign another player, either on Offense, or say on the Defensive Line, that they would release Tyjuan Hagler. I know a lot of people here aren't high on Keiaho but he is the only one other than Brackett who can play MIKE.

chad72
09-07-2009, 09:23 AM
I know a lot of people here aren't high on Keiaho but he is the only one other than Brackett who can play MIKE.

After seeing Ramon Humber's end zone break up of a sure TD pass against the Eagles and the fact that he can tackle, I would like to give him a shot to see how good he is at MIKE. Yeah, what good is Keiaho at MIKE if lets Gates so open in our playoff game? Just the fact that he is the only one who can play MIKE should not be a factor, IMO. They should try the other ones and if they do better, Keiaho should be let go. Yet another wasted 3rd round pick:(, he will eventually be gone.

The one that bums me is the potential that Grady showed. I heard the Pats are talking to him.

I still hope they release one of the WRs and add Grady (who hopefully clears waivers) and an OT from the waiver wire.

Geo
09-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Aaron Francisco signed, Jordan Senn waived.

UKfan
09-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Ok, so John Oesher's blog says Tyjuan Hagler is starting over Wheeler, what??

http://indyfootballreport.com/index.php/archives/3485

I hope not true, I really like Wheeler.

Geo
09-07-2009, 06:09 PM
I don't have any problem with it. Obviously I want Wheeler to be awesome and think he can be for the Colts, but he looks just a little bit lost on the field right now and Hagler is a very experienced and very talented linebacker himself.

Hagler was the starting SAM when the Colts had the #1 scoring defense in 2007.

He lost the job in 08 to Clint Session because of a torn pectoral muscle injury that happened in offseason weight training. This is Hagler's 5th year in the NFL and he can make it happen.

chad72
09-07-2009, 06:15 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/07/patriots-fill-out-practice-squad/

Geo
09-07-2009, 06:21 PM
They also drafted Kentucky DT Myron Pryor in the 6th round and he's reportedly looked real good for them. Ah well.

Seamus2602
09-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Given the potential problems we could have against Jacksonville that doesn't surprise me. We will be missing Ed Johnson, for definiate, and probably Bob Sanders. We could be missing Brock. We could be missing Session. Our run defense is starting to look pretty bare there. So they turn to Hagler, who has more experience, to help shore up the Strongside.

Geo
09-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Exactly. I don't remember Hagler missing tackles like Session, Wheeler, and Keiaho do. Hagler's biggest problem has been staying healthy.

Geo
09-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Also, I wonder if part of the team releasing Marcus Howard and Curtis Johnson was them thinking they already had a potential talented pass rusher in Philip Wheeler. One who is actually a linebacker, as opposed to having to transition those two for a few years.

Seamus2602
09-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Early indications are now that Bob Sanders won't return for at least 5 weeks, meaning that his first appearance won't be until either Week 5 at the Tennessee Titans or Week 7 at the Rams.

Dam8610
09-07-2009, 07:00 PM
If I was a wagering man, I'd say the 8th guy was Ramon Humber. They have signed Cody Glenn and it means we now have 8 Linebackers on the 53 man Roster. A lot of people think 7 is overkill. So I think it will be a Linebacker and only Glenn and Humber are Practice Squad eligible.

The good thing about Glenn is that he provides the Colts with another big, yet still fast, Linebacker. It does open up the possibility that if they sign another player, either on Offense, or say on the Defensive Line, that they would release Tyjuan Hagler. I know a lot of people here aren't high on Keiaho but he is the only one other than Brackett who can play MIKE.

Wheeler can definitely play MIKE, that would just leave the team weaker at SAM with Hagler moving there.

Aaron Francisco signed, Jordan Senn waived.

That sucks, Senn is a solid player.

They also drafted Kentucky DT Myron Pryor in the 6th round and he's reportedly looked real good for them. Ah well.

I REALLY wanted the Colts to draft Myron Pryor, it sucked when the Pats got him.

Early indications are now that Bob Sanders won't return for at least 5 weeks, meaning that his first appearance won't be until either Week 5 at the Tennessee Titans or Week 7 at the Rams.

When and where was this announced?

Seamus2602
09-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Say it here: Rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=nfl&id=2789)

They have now updated it to suggest that he could be back for Week 3.

Rosebud
09-07-2009, 07:12 PM
So how did Marcus Howard and Terrance Taylor look for you guys in pre-season/camp. I wanted the Gmen to look at both in the late rounds but twas not to be.

Seamus2602
09-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Marcus Howard is a good wee player, but a bit one dimensional. He has good pass rushing moves but will do absolutely nothing in the run game.

Taylor wasn't really given a chance to show what he could do which probably indicates that he did piss all squared in Training.

Rosebud
09-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Marcus Howard is a good wee player, but a bit one dimensional. He has good pass rushing moves but will do absolutely nothing in the run game.

Taylor wasn't really given a chance to show what he could do which probably indicates that he did piss all squared in Training.

Did Howard get reps at LB as well? Or were you guys using him exclusively as a situational pass rusher?

Dam8610
09-07-2009, 07:30 PM
And I see I stuck my foot in my mouth with the Wheeler comment as Hagler is starting over him. It appears the new regime favors experience over talent even more than the old regime.

RagingColt
09-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Did Howard get reps at LB as well? Or were you guys using him exclusively as a situational pass rusher?

I don't remember Howard ever used as a LB. Like mentioned above, he's a great undersized guy, yet very quick DE. I'd think he would be worth a spot on a team that was already deep at DE or could try the pass rush OLB experiment if they had the time/patience.

Rosebud
09-08-2009, 04:00 AM
I don't remember Howard ever used as a LB. Like mentioned above, he's a great undersized guy, yet very quick DE. I'd think he would be worth a spot on a team that was already deep at DE or could try the pass rush OLB experiment if they had the time/patience.

That is what I had in mind when hoping for him on the gmen, although after drafting Sintim, who's similarly a better pass rusher than LB, I doubt we bring him in. Thanks for the info boys and here's to another great and successful season for both of the Manning Brothers and their respective teams.

Geo
09-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Looks like the last practice squad spot has been filled?

The Colts added Jason Pociask, a third-year tight end from Plainfield (Ind.) High School who played at Wisconsin, to their practice roster.
link (http://www.indystar.com/article/20090908/SPORTS03/909080328/1100)

Makes sense to have a blocking tight end on the PS.

I wonder about Cloherty though, I guess he must have really impressed them when they already have Dallas and Tamme.

killxswitch
09-09-2009, 07:49 AM
The Colts just love their white tight ends don't they?

IMO it really sucks that Grady went to the Pats.

In other news Mitch King was released by the Titans. I wanted the Colts to get him but now I'm not sure where he'd fit on the team. DE, maybe?

chad72
09-09-2009, 01:09 PM
In other news Mitch King was released by the Titans. I wanted the Colts to get him but now I'm not sure where he'd fit on the team. DE, maybe?

Mitch King is back on the Titans PS

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/sports/titans-sign-seven-back-practice-squad

Jamon Meredith, released by the Packers is back on their PS as well

chad72
09-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Austin Collie named 3rd WR, Sam Giguere released

http://www.examiner.com/x-4450-Indianapolis-Colts-Examiner~y2009m9d9-Indy-Football-Report-Austin-Collie-to-start-regularseason-opener-as-Indianapolis-Colts-third-WR

It says at the bottom:

Also Wednesday, the Colts made three more moves on their practice squad, signing S DaVon Hall – formerly with Minnesota – and TE Jason Pocisak, who has spent time with Tampa Bay. The team also released WR Sam Giguere from the practice squad.

MaxV
09-09-2009, 03:41 PM
The Canadian Experiment ends. :(

Seamus2602
09-09-2009, 05:08 PM
This Offseason a combination of injuries, inconsistent play and Taj Smith really stepping up probably forced Caldwell's hand over Giguere.

De'von Hall could be an interesting player. He's only played Safety for a year but could make the team next year if he improves his technique at Safety.

Seamus2602
09-16-2009, 11:36 AM
The Colts have lifted the exemption on Ed Johnson and have waived Shane Andrus and Cody Glenn. The Andrus waive probably shows the team are confident in Vinatieri to continue. The waiving of Glenn could indicate that the Colts may be thinking of elevating the likes of Taj Smith from the Practice Squad.

killxswitch
09-16-2009, 12:05 PM
I like the confidence in AV, hopefully my prediction was wrong.

I also hope they sign Smith from the PS, but I read somewhere today that Gonzo is getting a 2nd opinion and that the 2-6 week thing was bogus. That doesn't sound good, but it is hard sometimes to know what is true.

Geo
09-16-2009, 05:57 PM
http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

In need of receiving help, Indianapolis worked out three veteran wideouts: D.J. Hackett, David Patten, and Chad Jackson.

redviper311
09-17-2009, 07:13 AM
http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Not that there was a doubt but Marvin Harrison will not be back with Colts. Indianapolis will sign former Eagles WR Hank Baskett today.

killxswitch
09-17-2009, 07:45 AM
I think it should be clear that Baskett is not going to step in and take all of Gonzo's role. I expect he will team with Garcon and Collie. Collie will mainly be in the slot, rotating with Wayne, Clark, Tamme, and Baskett. Garcon will mainly be on the outside, rotating with Baskett. The best of the two of them will get the most playing time on the outside. I hope it is Garcon, I really want him to succeed.

MaxV
09-17-2009, 08:15 AM
It's not a bad addition for the #4 spot.

I still want to give Garcon and Collie a shot.

Geo
09-17-2009, 09:44 AM
It's a good signing, Baskett plays special teams. He can contribute as a receiver, can go over the middle. I think he's primarily depth though, insurance in case someone else goes down.

Collie and Garcon know the offense, it's them all the way I think.

Maybe they work Baskett in a package or two, to ease him in.

Seamus2602
09-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Colts have resigned Jordan Senn and waived Tom Santi.

killxswitch
09-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Why drop Santi and keep Silva? Santi at least has the potential to contribute.

Seamus2602
09-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Why drop Santi and keep Silva? Santi at least has the potential to contribute.

Jamie Silva played in 11 games last season. He isn't Practice Squad eligible. Tom Santi is. They will, in my opinion, in the next few days, waive Colin Cloherty and sign Santi to the Practice Squad.

Geo
09-24-2009, 12:24 PM
Santi is still wearing a boot on his left foot. (http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/2009/09/deciphering_news_of_the_day.html)

I doubt someone will claim a TE who can't stay healthy and is injured now, which allows the Colts to put him on the practice squad for awhile.

Geo
10-07-2009, 09:01 PM
The Colts sign former Notre Dame cornerback Terrail Lambert to the practice squad (http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2009/oct/07/colts-sign-lambert-for-their-practice-squad/) after working him out on Tuesday.

MaxV
10-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Colts cut Ed Johnson...again. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/13/colts-cut-ed-johnson-again/)

Hmmm, he wasn't playing well? Or did he do something stupid again?

Geo
10-13-2009, 04:42 PM
If it's true, I would have to think he made a mistake. Even if the Colts wanted to sign a second kicker (Matt Stover) and Fili Moala is ready to play, I would think that there are other more fungible players for that reason alone.

As part of this bye week, I thought I'd do some things and one of them was updating this thread. The current roster is up and also the 2010 free agents, which are a little hard to explain with the uncertainty over the CBA but I hope I did okay.

If you guys can think of a better thread title than "Roster/contracts/needs" please share it. It's the best I can think of.

Geo
10-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Colts sign K Matt Stover, Vinatieri out 4-8 weeks following knee surgery. (http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091014/SPORTS03/910149997/1001)

Bummer about Vinny, hopefully he'll get to full health and Stover holds down the fort well until then.

Maybe releasing Ed did have to do with performance and the numbers crunch of the roster. I can't say for sure myself, I didn't pay enough attention to him and Eric Foster is the pass-rushing DT (doing a great job of it btw).

A poster at 18to88 broke down the first half of the Titans game, he said Ed played 13 plays and played poorly more than anything else in them. Maybe performance and roster needs are the only reasons for this move then.

Hopefully he didn't make an off-the-field mistake, because that will end his NFL career. If he didn't, I really think he'll get a chance somewhere else, maybe Detroit or Carolina.

RagingColt
10-14-2009, 08:42 PM
According John Oehser, Caldwell said Johnson was cut due to lack of production.

http://indyfootballreport.com/index.php/archives/3973

This only brings up more questions than answers imo.

Geo
10-15-2009, 01:43 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/4641/colts-did-johnson-a-disservice

Here’s Caldwell’s entire explanation about how the move was tied to the addition of kicker Matt Stover.

“We released Ed Johnson. I know some might wonder whether or not it was a character issue. It was not. We had to take a real good look at our roster and see where we may be able to make an adjustment here or there to get another guy on it. (With) Ed (it) was more production than anything else."

On if rookie defensive tackle Fili Moala will now be in the rotation:

“Yes. Antonio Johnson is still there and Dan Muir along with Fili will rotate along with Eric Foster. We will still have a four-man rotation. I believe he [Moala] will do just like we expect him to do. There are a lot of young guys who come in and step up and are able to do the job, and we expect the same from him. He has shown, the last couple of weeks in particular, he has really come along. He has made some strides. We are going to have an opportunity to get him out there and see what he can do.”

On the reason for the Ed Johnson release:

“It was production or lack thereof.”

On when Adam Vinatieri’s knee injury came about:

“Last week is when the issue arose where it required a MRI and from that, we made a decision on what to do and how to go about it. He wanted to fight through it and continue to go, but we felt this was the best course of action.”
Answers all of my questions.

chad72
10-15-2009, 01:44 PM
http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/2009/10/analyzing_ed.html

I liked this last paragraph:

The hunch is that we will have to wait a while before the rest of the story comes out. As another blogger suggested to me, if Johnson signs somewhere else, then maybe it was just performance. But if he doesn't get a sniff, then it's reasonable to surmise the guy had another off-field issue, was possibly going to get suspended again, and enough is enough.

Geo
10-15-2009, 02:51 PM
If Ed had a 2- or 4-game suspension coming, I think it would have leaked or would very soon leak.

The Colts gave him into the bye to play well, maybe he just didn't. They were subbing him on 3rd downs anyways.

Btw I was wrong on Antonio Johnson in the preseason, Mookie is playing well.

Seamus2602
10-16-2009, 06:03 AM
See, I don't think Mookie is playing all that well. If I was to rate the Defensive Tackles I'd probably put Eric Foster as the best so far this season. Mookie hasn't been playing well, and you saw with Ed Johnson that the team were cutting his time on the field.

They are going forward with Mookie and Dan Muir at Nose (a position I think we need to upgrade) and are replacing Ed at Under Tackle with Fili Moala. Foster has been very good and they want to put him on the field for more snaps and with Moala coming back they knew that Ed's playing time was going to go down even more.

I don't think its an off the field thing with Ed it just seems sources close to the team don't feel he's given enough both in games and in practices.

killxswitch
10-16-2009, 07:38 AM
I wish the Colts would just be honest with their fans. If it was strictly a performance thing, why not demote him like they did with Ugoh?

MaxV
10-16-2009, 08:04 AM
Well, they needed to make room on the roster and we had too many DTs (and that's not even including Brock and Dawson).

It came down to which one to release. Ed may not have been the worst DT on the roster, but they felt he was the most expendable.

They obviously won't release Moala, Foster has been good and they seem to like both Mookie and Muir.

RagingColt
10-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Does this mean Mookie and Muir are now the starters with Foster and Moala in the rotation as backups?

Geo
10-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Yep.

Re: Ed, it's case closed for me and I have already moved on. I wish him well.

killxswitch
10-16-2009, 11:07 AM
It may be closed for you Geo but if Steven Jackson runs for big yardage there will be problems. Of course I hope Moala steps in and does well. I didnt' honestly see a ton of difference in the play of either Johnson or Muir when they were in, but I would've expected them to cut someone like Silva before cutting Ed.

Seamus2602
10-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Does this mean Mookie and Muir are now the starters with Foster and Moala in the rotation as backups?

Naw, probably Mookie and Foster are the starters with Muir, Moala (and Brock and Dawson) all rotating.

Geo
10-21-2009, 09:35 PM
http://indyfootballreport.com/index.php/archives/4040

Also on Wednesday, Caldwell said third-year veteran Dan Muir will start at defensive tackle alongside Antonio Johnson.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-4450-Indianapolis-Colts-Examiner~y2009m10d13-Indianapolis-Colts-President-Bill-Polian-on-OT-Tony-Ugoh-the-run-defense-and-kickoff-coverage

"It's a very interesting question," Polian said as the Colts prepared for a one-practice week on their bye week, "because it puts it really in three contexts. The first context is, 'Is Tony Ugoh a solid National Football League player?' The second is, 'If he is or isn't, how come Charlie Johnson has the job?' The third context is, 'Well, what did you pay for him?'"

Polian addressed the third context first.

"It doesn't matter what you paid for a player so long as the player performs," Polian said. "For every Tony Ugoh that may not end up being a bona fide, first-time-out-of-the-box starter, there's a (rookie CB) Jacob Lacey or a Jerraud Powers, so it all balances out. It's not about what you paid for a player. I've often told the scouts and I've said to everyone in the building, 'We're not out to win the draft. We're out to win football games. It's about the 53 players you put on the field. If you stop and think about it, I think that's one of the reasons we've had so much success in the draft. Because we're not out to win the draft. We get 'C's every year and we're proud of it and happy to get them. We want to get 'A's when it comes to performing on the field. So, it doesn't matter what we took him or what we paid for him. The only question is, 'How good a player is Tony Ugoh?'"

Polian said when Ugoh was blocking Titans DE Kyle Vanden Bosch on Sunday, the answer was that Ugoh wasn't bad at all.

"When you watch the tape, you find out that he really did a very credible job," Polian said. "Over the course of a 60-play game, Tony Ugoh played pretty darned well. If you said to me, 'Is Tony Ugoh as good a player as D'Brickashaw Ferguson?' I'd probably say, 'Yes.' Is he as good a player as maybe some people who have higher profiles in the media? The answer is probably yes. To Tony's credit, when he had to step in and play Sunday night, he played pretty darned well.And as one of our Pro Scouts, Kevin Rogers, said many weeks ago as we were discussing he formation of our roster, 'There are a lot worse players than Tony Ugoh starting for other teams in this league. That's for sure.' Don't get down on him. We're not. It's a work in progress.

"If I can point to one thing Tony doesn't have it's great lower body strength and therefore, he needs to be able to be pretty much technically perfect on every play. If he's not technically correct, then against a Vanden Bosch he's going to have a little difficulty from time to time. But he hung in last night and did a very, very credible job. There's no reason to worry about Tony Ugoh and there's no reason to point fingers at Tony Ugoh and we're very happy we have Tony Ugoh."
After Ugoh caused the interception, I thought he played well from that point. With that and with Polian's honest appraisal, I am a believer in Tony Ugoh again!

His rookie contract goes through 2010, I see no reason not to stick with him and see if/how he develops further as a player. Especially if he can get past the little nagging injuries that seem to creep up on him every season.

killxswitch
10-27-2009, 12:22 PM
It's hard to say definitively right now, but what do you guys think are the Colts top needs in the draft in 2010? Not that Polian drafts based on need, but that is factored into picking the BPA.

Seems like we could use a few LBs, some OLmen, maybe a receiver. I also wouldn't mind having another pass rusher.

At LB right now we have lots of depth but little talent. It would be nice if we could get a high-skill LB. I think it would really round out the D. I thought Session might be that guy but it hasn't happened so far. I have no idea if there will be such a player available by the time the Colts pick though.

MaxV
10-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Upgrades at LB and on OL could be made.

The biggest weakness on our team is run-blocking.

As far as DT, well I'm not against bringing another talented player, but we have 4 young DTs with upside.

We have depth in the Secondary, but free agency could hit us there.

RagingColt
11-03-2009, 09:23 PM
This is a bit O/T, but Seattle cut Edge today.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/11/03/Seahawks.James.ap/index.html

James won't be back with the Colts, but it does look like his career is over with now. The evening after watching a training camp practice about 5 years ago at Rose Hulman in Terre Haute, I saw James in the mall drinking a soda by himself. He's just sitting there and I had my Dallas Clark jersey on and walked by him and smiled. Edge smiled back and I kept walking. Still think about that whenever he's on TV.

At least he'll have a place in the Ring of Honor at the Luke.

chad72
11-04-2009, 07:51 AM
I am thinking of a late round pick on a 3rd down RB like Kevin Faulk who can blitz block and make catches in the open field for crucial first downs plus can do return duties and have the occasional home run capability if the blocking down the field is good.

I have 2 guys in mind - Brandon James of Florida and Mike Smith of Arkansas.

What do you guys think of those 2? They can easily be day 2 picks - 3rd or 4th round picks that can help our team.

chad72
11-04-2009, 12:30 PM
http://indyfootballreport.com/index.php/archives/4219#more-4219

Bad news, since I am not confident Philip Wheeler can get the job done.

The good thing is I liked what I saw in rookie Ramon Humber, so the competition forces Wheeler to step it up.

killxswitch
11-04-2009, 12:53 PM
http://indyfootballreport.com/index.php/archives/4219#more-4219

Bad news, since I am not confident Philip Wheeler can get the job done.

The good thing is I liked what I saw in rookie Ramon Humber, so the competition forces Wheeler to step it up.

I don't think Wheeler's problem is effort, I think he just isn't a very good LB. Maybe it's just his hair but he looks uncoordinated and lost when trying to play football. He hasn't been that impressive as a pass rusher either. Humber did show some promise. Also I think they could move Keiaho back into the lineup. It isn't like Session is doing better than he did at the WLB position.

Dam8610
11-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Sucks about Hagler, he can't seem to stay healthy. At least it gives a chance for one of the younger talents at LB to get on the field and get some experience. Hopefully the hype on Wheeler was right, it'd be nice to have a good blitzing LB in this system.

chad72
11-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Hey, I just accepted an FF trade that gave me Matt Forte and Steve Slaton for Joseph Addai and Rashard Mendenhall.

My core RBs are Michael Turner and Ray Rice.

My WRs are Colston, Welker, Boldin, Mike Sims Walker, and Dwayne Bowe

I play 2 WRs, 2 RBs and 1 FLEX (WR/RB).

Since Turner and Rice are past their bye weeks, I plan to ride them all the way. So, I thought Forte and Slaton will give me more upside for my FLEX should I choose to play an RB for my FLEX.

Also, the 2 trade analyzer URLs below gave a favorable trade analysis for me as well, take a look:

http://www.fantasysp.com/nfl_trade_analyzer/?leftcom1=&leftcom2=&rightcom1=&rightcom2=

http://www.kffl.com/static/programs/football/trade_analyzer/

Your thoughts??

Seamus2602
11-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Philip Wilson of IndyStar says the team are considering cutting Bob Sanders. If there is no CBA then they will cut him and get rid of a huge cap hit for the following season (when there probably will be a CBA). If there is, somehow, a new one for next season then they will probably keep him.

MaxV
11-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Man, I can't believe they are discussing cutting Bob.

This really sucks. I honestly thought that he would go down in history as one of the best Colts' defensive players of all time.

I hope he still gets there.

RagingColt
11-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Anyone have a clue if D. Brown is close to being back from injury yet? Be really nice if he could play vs. the Pats and stretch their D a bit.

killxswitch
11-10-2009, 07:52 AM
I haven't heard about Brown. I don't think the Pats are that great vs. the run this year so having him back would be huge.

MaxV
11-10-2009, 09:27 AM
I hope Donald can go. He could certainly make a difference.

MaxV
11-12-2009, 08:05 AM
Colts signed CB Anthony Madison and have release DE Josh Thomas.

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=roster

I don't know much about this player, but we did need to add a DB.

We've also added DE Ervin Baldwin to PS.

killxswitch
11-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Colts signed CB Anthony Madison and have release DE Josh Thomas.

I don't know much about this player, but we did need to add a DB.

We've also added DE Ervin Baldwin to PS.

He apparently does well on special teams. He was an undrafted FA for the Steelers, started on the PS but was brought up to play STs. Released recently by the Browns. Apparently more of a man coverage guy than a zone CB.

7-11
11-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Sooo when are Kelvin and Gonzo due back?

RagingColt
11-16-2009, 11:34 PM
Gonzo still sounds like he won't be back for a month or more. Hayden, hopefully we get him back in 2/3 weeks.

killxswitch
11-17-2009, 08:40 AM
I think the latest from Polian is that they're not due back until after Thanksgiving. Same for Vinatieri.

killxswitch
11-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Looks like Mike Hart is gone again.

http://ind.scout.com/a.z?s=113&p=9&c=2&cid=922944&nid=4217508&fhn=1

MaxV
11-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Who is being added in his place?

A returner, I hope.

UKfan
11-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Schefter has tweeted it's Josh Thomas back again... again!

Seamus2602
11-24-2009, 05:56 PM
Josh Thomas will play primarily on Special Teams which will allow the likes of Lacey, Wheeler and Jennings to focus on their defensive roles.

Also, UKfan, commiserations on your win.

http://wwwimg.bbc.co.uk/feedengine/homepage/images/sport/_46796551_ngog1_146x110.jpg

Then again as an Ireland fan I probably shouldn't be slegging people about football.

killxswitch
11-25-2009, 08:43 AM
Thomas is horrible but with Freeney needing a rest and Dawson hurting as well I guess it makes sense.

RagingColt
12-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Looks like Freeney and Dawson will play this Sunday vs the Titans. Thomas was waived today along with DB Antony Madison.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20091201/SPORTS03/91201038/1100/Colts-waive-Thomas

killxswitch
12-01-2009, 09:32 PM
I wonder who they will add to the team to take up those roster spots?

falloutboy14
12-01-2009, 11:00 PM
According to rotoworld, Dom is tried out for the team today. Or maybe they'll bring Hart back onto the roster.

Seamus2602
12-02-2009, 05:01 AM
I wonder who they will add to the team to take up those roster spots?

They are looking at Dominic Rhodes and some random Quarterback. There is a rumour doing the rounds that they may bring back Keiwan Ratliff, who was cut by the Steelers last week.

killxswitch
12-02-2009, 09:28 AM
They are looking at Dominic Rhodes and some random Quarterback. There is a rumour doing the rounds that they may bring back Keiwan Ratliff, who was cut by the Steelers last week.

I would welcome back Ratliff. He did surprisingly well as a starter given that he was out of football and didn't have experience in the Colts defense.

As for Rhodes, I don't really understand what he would add to the offense. Unless Brown is more hurt than we know.

chad72
12-02-2009, 03:19 PM
They brought back Hart to the squad from the PS as a 4th RB. Also, signed this PS guy named Erwin Baldwin that is a pass rush DE (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2008/draft/players/58108.html), a no name guy from our own PS (he played at Michigan State).

I do frankly think DB's injury is not fully healed and it may end up leading to surgery. No other reason to try another RB or activate another RB especially when we have not clinched AFC home field yet.

Dom must have shown them that he has lost that step, never made a huge difference than a banged up Addai last year, and DB is a more explosive version of Dom, so it never made sense unless they wanted him to do return duties exclusively to give Simpson more carries.

The other thing I do not understand is if Marcus Howard was drafted to be a pass rush specialist from a good conference and he had bulked up a bit to be like Robert Mathis in the offseason, with a 4.4 speed, why not bring Marcus Howard back? I just do not understand this DE move. If they were going to have Freeney play about 80% of the snaps this weekend and have this pass rush specialist to help, why not bring someone who is faster and does the pass rushing exclusively well and has played enough in our system?

RagingColt
12-02-2009, 09:10 PM
The other thing I do not understand is if Marcus Howard was drafted to be a pass rush specialist from a good conference and he had bulked up a bit to be like Robert Mathis in the offseason, with a 4.4 speed, why not bring Marcus Howard back? I just do not understand this DE move. If they were going to have Freeney play about 80% of the snaps this weekend and have this pass rush specialist to help, why not bring someone who is faster and does the pass rushing exclusively well and has played enough in our system?

Couldn't agree with you more. Howard would be much better than brining back Thomas and then dumping him twice. This really stumps me why Howard wasn't given a shot to be on the roster this year. We have no real pass rushing threat behind Free and Mathis. Howard could be #3 pretty easily.

Seamus2602
12-03-2009, 05:26 AM
Couldn't agree with you more. Howard would be much better than brining back Thomas and then dumping him twice. This really stumps me why Howard wasn't given a shot to be on the roster this year. We have no real pass rushing threat behind Free and Mathis. Howard could be #3 pretty easily.

Marcus Howard was cut by the team and hasn't even been mentioned in regards to signing for other teams since the end of September. Obviously there is an issue there that hasn't been reported to the Press.

chad72
12-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Marcus Howard was cut by the team and hasn't even been mentioned in regards to signing for other teams since the end of September. Obviously there is an issue there that hasn't been reported to the Press.

He was tried out by the Texans first, then the Eagles and the Steelers next but no one signed him so far.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Steelers-try-out-Marcus-Howard.html&team=121

I just hope the Colts are the 4th team to try him out again?:)

I still think he would provide much needed relief to a banged up Freeney in obvious pass downs. The option now is possibly Freeney aggravating his abdomen/hip injury that he is having now and missing more time down the road or Freeney given a huge break of 2 or 3 games and us not knowing how effective he will be if he comes back just for the playoffs. It does not help that Keyunta Dawson is banged up too. Just look at the pass rush down the middle in the Pats', Ravens', and Texans' game. We are now 20th in pass yards allowed in the league, can't blame it all on the absence of Kelvin Hayden, the D-line is obviously not being effective. Plus, Mookie and Muir hold the fort for running plays but are not athletic enough to be disruptive enough for passing plays. O-lines like the Pats and Chargers will eat us alive if they have a cushy pocket in the playoffs.

Having the extra pass rush specialist like Marcus Howard will only help in the long term, IMO. I will give this new guy Ervin Baldwin a chance but my gut tells me Howard would be much better in that specialist role and maybe was one of the mistakes of the 53 man roster cut moves announced that the staff does not want to accept.

MaxV
01-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Colts sign CFL DE John Chick.

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/football/roughriders-football/Saskatchewan+Roughriders+John+Chick+signs+with+Ind ianapolis+Colts/2422266/story.html

I hope he plays well for us.

chad72
01-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Colts sign CFL DE John Chick.

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/football/roughriders-football/Saskatchewan+Roughriders+John+Chick+signs+with+Ind ianapolis+Colts/2422266/story.html

I hope he plays well for us.

I like that he is not a tweener and that he has played as a DE in a league where you have to cover more ground laterally (since CFL fields are wider). My expectations from him are a special teamer at first and a possible 3rd pass rusher from the DE position (Dawson or Baldwin are not getting it done) to give Freeney or Mathis a breather.

killxswitch
01-12-2010, 07:52 AM
I think Baldwin might turn out ok for the Colts. I doubt this new guy will do anything outside of STs. The goal of course is to not have any DE other than Mathis, Freeney, or occasionally Brock on the field.

chad72
01-14-2010, 10:02 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/transactions

MaxV
01-14-2010, 11:44 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/transactions

Ha, another former Colt on Titans roster, that's shocking.

killxswitch
01-14-2010, 12:50 PM
I was always disappointed Howard didn't work out.

Seamus2602
01-26-2010, 03:45 PM
A year later than most of actually wanted but the Colts have signed Mitch King and Gerald Cadogan to future contracts for next season. They have also signed Dudley Guice, a Receiver and Devin Moore, a Running Back.

MaxV
01-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Ha.

I was probably the biggest supporter of us getting King and Cadogan was one of my favorite prospects on Penn State (my favorite college team).

Seriously, King was a MONSTER in college. He single-handedly ruined Penn State's perfect season by dominating current Philadelphia Eagle AQ Shipley and current New England Patriot Rich Ohrnberger. He just lived in the backfield throughout that game and really throughout his career.

I really hope he works out for us. I kind of enjoy it when I'm right about certain prospects. :)

Although, unfortunately, the last time I made the right call about a prospect it was Maurice Jones-Drew and he wound up with a division rival.

killxswitch
01-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Mitch King! Better late than never I guess. I'm not so sure on Cadogan but I like taking the chance, we need OL help badly.

I think King could be the DT we need to get consistent penetration in the middle of the pocket. Muir and AJ at NT and Foster and King at UT with Moala playing both positions gives us a pretty decent rotation IMO.

MaxV
01-27-2010, 10:45 AM
King is similar to Foster. He's kind of DE/DT tweener. He could play as a DT on passing downs and DE on rushing downs.

As far as Cadogan, he fits the mold of O-linemen that we seem to always target. He is athletic and is a good pass-blocker, but his power, despite his size (6'-5" 315), is limited. He was never a road-grader in college and I doubt that he will be in the pros also. But who knows, maybe he too will thrive in our system.

Polian has a long history of finding good players that other teams gave up on (Lilja, Muir, Johnson, Saturday, Brock just to name a few), perhaps these guys will work out also.

killxswitch
01-27-2010, 10:52 AM
As far as Cadogan, he fits the mold of O-linemen that we seem to always target.

That's what I mean though. The draft articles I've read on him make him sound like a less athletic Tony Ugoh. Polian himself has admitted his ability to assess OL talent is lacking.

killxswitch
03-04-2010, 04:19 PM
This was brought up on another board but I figured I'd bring it up here. Jared Gaither was given a 1st round tender by the Ravens. I know Polian won't do anything there but it's fun to think about.

Also, Kirk Morrison got a 3rd from the Raiders.

killxswitch
03-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Brock is gone. Surprise!

Seamus2602
03-05-2010, 06:34 AM
Brock being cut isn't a big surprise. He asked to be cut and he's due $3.79 Million in 2010 and his play really declined (both against the run where Robert Mathis really stepped up and in the pass where he was ineffective all season).

A big surprise is not tendering Hagler. Are his injury concerns that big? Or did they see enough from Wheeler?

I am picking up scraps of news that Brackett will sign a 5 year $30 Million, with $16 Million guarranteed.

Also, Melvin Bullitt, Charlie Johnson, Mookie and Dan Muir all got 2nd Round tenders, while Antoine Bethea was giving a 1st Round tender.

MaxV
03-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Signing Brackett and Bethea to extensions should be the top priority.

Both are very important players that play key positions on our D.

Plus it isn't easy to replace quality every-down MLB and a good FS.

killxswitch
03-05-2010, 08:01 AM
I agree Bethea is a top priority.

Signing Brackett to a 5 year deal with $16 million guaranteed seems enormously stupid. He is a good enough fit for our system but he wouldn't make anywhere near that much anywhere else in the league. They could probably go after Kirk Morrison (3rd round tender from the Raiders) and get a younger, faster, stronger, better-tackling, equal-or-better pass-defending LB for the same price.

I like Brackett well enough but if the cap comes back a contact that big will be a mistake. They can't front-load it enough to get rid of all his money this year.

Seamus2602
03-05-2010, 09:35 AM
ESPN are now reporting that it is a 5 year $33 Million with $12 Million guaranteed. More overall money but less guaranteed money than what was originally reported last night.

killxswitch
03-05-2010, 09:47 AM
That seems better. $12M can be whittled down pretty quickly. Seems like a good deal for both the Colts and Brackett.

Seamus2602
03-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Apparently the team have cut Jim Sorgi.

Seamus2602
03-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Looks like the Colts are really going to retool the O-Line in 2010. Ryan Lilja has been cut.

killxswitch
03-08-2010, 10:22 PM
I really didn't expect Lilja to be cut. I am excited about it though. He is really pretty mediocre and the Colts want to get bigger. Manning can't get the ball out on the stretch anymore and Mudd is gone so the demand for fast midget linemen is gone with him. It will be interesting to see what else happens here.

Dream scenario: sign Jared Gaither to a long-term contract, move CJ to RT, move Diem to OG, install Jaimie Thomas as other OG. You've got yourself one beefy new OL.

Seamus2602
03-09-2010, 02:44 AM
I really didn't expect Lilja to be cut. I am excited about it though. He is really pretty mediocre and the Colts want to get bigger. Manning can't get the ball out on the stretch anymore and Mudd is gone so the demand for fast midget linemen is gone with him. It will be interesting to see what else happens here.

Dream scenario: sign Jared Gaither to a long-term contract, move CJ to RT, move Diem to OG, install Jaimie Thomas as other OG. You've got yourself one beefy new OL.

Lilja was our best Offensive Lineman last year. He was our best pass blocker and our best run blocker.

Gaither would be a good addition but I just don't see Polian going for it. But this isn't Madden. You can't just say lets move my Right Tackle to Guard. Diem is too old to teach him new tricks. He isn't fast enough to pull out and get to the next level. Jaimie Thomas is a long term player. Yes that new Offensive Line would be very big but it would be terrible.

What will probably happen:

Left Tackle: Short term is Charlie Johnson and we will look to bring in a new Left Tackle through the draft. I expect the Colts to go Tackle somewhere in the first three rounds and then develop them behind Johnson.

Left Guard: The Left Guard takes on the Nose in the 4-3, and helps the Centre do so in the 3-4 so he needs to be bigger so the long term hope here will be Jaimie Thomas. But the team will probably turn to Pollak in the short term to start here.

Centre: Saturday in the short term and probably Pollak long term.

Right Guard: DeVan will continue here and the team will probably draft a long term replacement.

Right Tackle: Diem will continue here and the team will probably draft a long term replacement.

killxswitch
03-09-2010, 07:19 AM
Lilja was our best Offensive Lineman last year. He was our best pass blocker and our best run blocker.

Gaither would be a good addition but I just don't see Polian going for it. But this isn't Madden. You can't just say lets move my Right Tackle to Guard. Diem is too old to teach him new tricks. He isn't fast enough to pull out and get to the next level. Jaimie Thomas is a long term player. Yes that new Offensive Line would be very big but it would be terrible.

What will probably happen:

Left Tackle: Short term is Charlie Johnson and we will look to bring in a new Left Tackle through the draft. I expect the Colts to go Tackle somewhere in the first three rounds and then develop them behind Johnson.

Left Guard: The Left Guard takes on the Nose in the 4-3, and helps the Centre do so in the 3-4 so he needs to be bigger so the long term hope here will be Jaimie Thomas. But the team will probably turn to Pollak in the short term to start here.

Centre: Saturday in the short term and probably Pollak long term.

Right Guard: DeVan will continue here and the team will probably draft a long term replacement.

Right Tackle: Diem will continue here and the team will probably draft a long term replacement.

Lilja might've been consistent but being the best run blocker on our line is not a hard race to win. If he was so great, why did he get cut? I don't think of him as highly as you do.

Diem started his career as a guard so it's not teaching him new tricks. I actually think he could get cut next considering his lacking play the last few years and his big contract.

I think your predictions are pretty conservative, which is fitting with how the team has been run thus far. But cutting Lilja outright, and saying "we want to get bigger" as the reason is so out of character for the Colts that I am not banking on them taking the conservative route here.

MaxV
03-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Just like everyone of our O-Linemen, Lilja wasn't a good in-line blocker, but he was a mobile lineman with good pass-blocking ability and good pulling ability.

This wasn't just a salary dump, it is a change in philosophy. I think they are planning of making the line bigger and better at in-line blocking.

That's fine and all, but that also means that we have a need for both of our Guard spots. Neither Devan nor Pollak are good in-line blockers either.

I'm not big on drafting OGs in the first, but Iupati would be good pick.

RagingColt
03-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Just like everyone of our O-Linemen, Lilja wasn't a good in-line blocker, but he was a mobile lineman with good pass-blocking ability and good pulling ability.

This wasn't just a salary dump, it is a change in philosophy. I think they are planning of making the line bigger and better at in-line blocking.

That's fine and all, but that also means that we have a need for both of our Guard spots. Neither Devan nor Pollak are good in-line blockers either.

I'm not big on drafting OGs in the first, but Iupati would be good pick.

Agree 100%. A definite shift in theory is taking place on both lines to get bigger/stronger, last year the D-Line improved a bunch as Muir and Mookie played more. Games aren't being called so close holding wise on either side of the lines, so a major adjustment has to be made by the organization. While the Dungy/Mudd train of thought isn't thrown out for fast players on each side of the lines, the notion for larger and stronger has been altered.

MaxV
03-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Colts signed OG Andy Alleman and claimed DE/DT J.D. Skolnitsky off waivers from Skins.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/556853

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/09/colts-claim-skolnitsky/

I hope these guys do well.

Also, Marlin Jackson will be an Eagle next season.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=20454

Good luck to Marlin.

UKfan
03-10-2010, 06:32 PM
That sucks about Marlin, am a big fan of his, Eagles got a great pick up IMO.

chad72
03-11-2010, 12:25 PM
They brought in Adam Terry, a former Ravens' O-lineman as well. He's a 6'8 330 lb. tackle/guard prospect. He has short arms. It would be most likely for guard.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3204

I still think we will keep CJ at LT and Diem at RT and of course Saturday at Center.

Our LG and RG will be spots that Jamey Richard, Mike Pollak, Tony Ugoh, Gerald Cadogan, Jaimie Thomas, Kyle DeVan, and Andy Allen will compete for, IMO. Some of the above could end up being backup tackles, like Ugoh, Allen and Cadogan.

If we do draft a tackle, he will be a project. If we do draft an OG, he will most likely play in our roster. I like Maurkice Pouncey for OG, Vladimir Ducasse for RG and Jon Jerry of Ole Miss too for OG.

MaxV
03-11-2010, 03:08 PM
I don't think we have a single OL on our roster that would be a road-grader at OG.

Man, I smell another season of 3.5 ypc. :(

Seamus2602
03-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Apparently the Colts released Ryan Lilja because he failed a physical on both his knee and his back.

Dam8610
03-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Colts sign OT Adam Terry to 1 year deal (http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/03/terry_signs_with_colts.html)

Well, if there was any doubt that there was going to be a shift in OL philosophy this offseason, this erases it. Polian talked all year about how holding is being called differently now, and bemoaned the performance of the OL after the Super Bowl, and now we're seeing a shift in the type of personnel the team is bringing in for the OL. For this particular signing, I'm wondering if he's going to be tried as a OG or RT, and overall for the offseason, my question is can they find the type of LT that would work for the type of system they're trying to install? Would Tony Ugoh be that guy? Would the team go out, take a chance, and try to bring in Jared Gaither? Or is there someone in the draft the team sees as their LT of the future? The one thing I know from all of this is that this offseason just got really interesting.

MaxV
03-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Welcome back Dam!

Yeah, OL is definitely the hot topic of Colts nation.

Don't forget Gerald Cadogan also. Good size and athletic, although he was never a Road-Grader.

chad72
03-16-2010, 06:35 PM
http://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/10588966426

killxswitch
04-05-2010, 08:10 AM
There are rumors going around that the Colts are pursuing Marcus McNeill, OT for the Chargers. He is a pretty good LT. It would cost a 1st and a 3rd so I doubt it is true.

chad72
04-12-2010, 11:16 AM
There are rumors going around that the Colts are pursuing Marcus McNeill, OT for the Chargers. He is a pretty good LT. It would cost a 1st and a 3rd so I doubt it is true.

It is a rumor at best, it was a bunch of BS (http://www.stampedeblue.com/2010/4/12/1415578/so-yeah-that-whole-marcus-mcneill).

Plus, if we wanted Gaither by now, we would have had him. So, get ready for Saffold or Brown in round 1.:)

Dam8610
04-13-2010, 10:08 AM
It is a rumor at best, it was a bunch of BS (http://www.stampedeblue.com/2010/4/12/1415578/so-yeah-that-whole-marcus-mcneill).

Plus, if we wanted Gaither by now, we would have had him. So, get ready for Saffold or Brown in round 1.:)

I'd rather see something like Hughes/Veldheer, but I wouldn't be completely disappointed by Brown. Saffold would make me scratch my head though.

killxswitch
04-13-2010, 11:27 AM
I'd rather see something like Hughes/Veldheer, but I wouldn't be completely disappointed by Brown. Saffold would make me scratch my head though.

I really don't know much about Veldheer. It's hard to see any of his on-field play. I haven't found any, anyway. I do like what I read about him. I definitely like Hughes though, I think he's a bit underrated right now.

I would count the draft a win if we came out of it with one from each of the following categories:

OL:
Charles Brown (1st)
Trent Williams (1st)
Mike Iupati (1st)
Jason Fox (2nd or later)
Jared Veldheer (2nd or later)
Vladimir Ducasse (2nd or later)
Roger Saffold (2nd or later)

DE:
Brandon Graham (1st, unlikely)
Jerry Hughes (1st or trade up for early 2nd)
Jason Worilds (2nd or later)
Greg Hardy (3rd or later)
Arthur Moats (3rd or later)
Alex Carrington (3rd or later)
O'Brien Schofield (4th or later)
Daniel Te’o-Nesheim (5th or later)

DT:
Brian Price (1st or trade up for early 2nd)
Jared Odrick (1st or trade up for early 2nd)
Lamarr Houston (2nd)
Arthur Jones (3rd or later)
Geno Atkins (3rd or later)
Vince Oghobaase (5th or later)

Dam8610
04-13-2010, 11:36 AM
I really don't know much about Veldheer. It's hard to see any of his on-field play. I haven't found any, anyway. I do like what I read about him. I definitely like Hughes though, I think he's a bit underrated right now.

I would count the draft a win if we came out of it with one from each of the following categories:

OL:
Charles Brown (1st)
Trent Williams (1st)
Mike Iupati (1st)
Jason Fox (2nd or later)
Jared Veldheer (2nd or later)
Vladimir Ducasse (2nd or later)
Roger Saffold (2nd or later)

DE:
Brandon Graham (1st, unlikely)
Jerry Hughes (1st or trade up for early 2nd)
Jason Worilds (2nd or later)
Greg Hardy (3rd or later)
Arthur Moats (3rd or later)
Alex Carrington (3rd or later)
O'Brien Schofield (4th or later)
Daniel Te’o-Nesheim (5th or later)

DT:
Brian Price (1st or trade up for early 2nd)
Jared Odrick (1st or trade up for early 2nd)
Lamarr Houston (2nd)
Arthur Jones (3rd or later)
Geno Atkins (3rd or later)
Vince Oghobaase (5th or later)

Do you think Iupati could play LT? If not, I'd rather see the team invest in OG later. Of the situations you've sort of laid out there, my ideal would be:

1) Graham/Hughes
2) Veldheer/Ducasse (both are small school guys with loads of potential, the Colts have a lot of success with those, see: Robert Mathis, Antoine Bethea, etc. Obviously the investment risk is higher here, but so is the need)
3) Atkins/Jones

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Colts completely ignore one of DE or DT and go with an OT and OG in the first 3 rounds, and I'd actually be quite happy with it as it would likely take care of the OL for the foreseeable future.

killxswitch
04-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Do you think Iupati could play LT? If not, I'd rather see the team invest in OG later. Of the situations you've sort of laid out there, my ideal would be:

1) Graham/Hughes
2) Veldheer/Ducasse (both are small school guys with loads of potential, the Colts have a lot of success with those, see: Robert Mathis, Antoine Bethea, etc. Obviously the investment risk is higher here, but so is the need)
3) Atkins/Jones

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Colts completely ignore one of DE or DT and go with an OT and OG in the first 3 rounds, and I'd actually be quite happy with it as it would likely take care of the OL for the foreseeable future.

No, I don't think Iupati will ever play tackle, at least not on the left side. I do think he'd be a huge help to our run game. He would not be my first choice of OLman but I think we could do worse.

If the Colts went OLx2 and DE I would be fine with that. I think it is critical the Colts pick up a 3rd edge rusher though. The DTs we have now can be upgraded but are fine overall. But we cannot let another postseason die because Freeney gets hurt.

chad72
04-13-2010, 09:40 PM
We have lost 3 out of 6 CBs and added Terrail Lambert, I don't even know who he is and how good he is, maybe PS material???

We invested in John Chick, CFL MVP, mainly for the situational pass rushing, his scouting report (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1109425) sounds so much like Mathis. Brock is gone and most likely Eric Foster is the run down DE, IMO, who will play more snaps and move into Brock's role. We also signed Mitch King. So I would be very surprised if BP goes DE in round 1 unless Everson Griffen drops to us. With so many 3-4 teams, Griffen and Hughes could be gone.

I love Devin McCourty, he screams scheme fit but then his stock has gone up enough that I doubt he will be there. Maurkice Pouncey's stock is just high enough that the Vikings might go for him. Eagles and Jets are eyeing Jerry Hughes closely. Brandon Graham will not get past the Falcons, if he ever drops.

Looking at all of this, Charles Brown, Rodger Saffold, Kareem Jackson - one of them is very likely going to be there for our pick. Another kicker, if the Bengals (taking safety Taylor Mays over Gresham), the Patriots (taking Sergio Kindle over Gresham), the Ravens (taking CB McCourty over Gresham), all of whom need TE pass on him, I wonder what BP will do.

My sleeper pick for round 1 is Kareem Jackson, a CB that puts in film time and has played good competition, he is rising up draft boards and is a top of round 2 to late round 1 pick, just in our ballpark. SEC, Big East, ACC, Big Ten - those 4 have primarily been the conferences Polian has got his first round pick from. Rob Morris was the rare exception (even Ugoh that BP gave a round 1 pick for was from the SEC). Based on that and the likelihood of players being available at our pick, Saffold or Kareem Jackson.

My sleeper pick is Kareem Jackson of Alabama.

I can see a draft like this:

Round 1 - Kareem Jackson, CB, Alabama
Round 2 - Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale
Round 3 - Daniel Teo' Nesheim, DE, Washington
Round 4 - Arthur Jones, DT, Syracuse
Round 5 - Alterraun Verner, CB, UCLA
Round 7 (pick 1): A.J.Edds, OLB, Iowa
Round 7 (pick 2): LeRoy Vann, KR/PR/CB, Florida A & M
Round 7 (pick 3): Jeff Byers, C, USC (BP likes to get an O-lineman at the end of the draft recently)

killxswitch
04-14-2010, 07:54 AM
I really can't believe Polian would pick a CB when at the least the two starting spots are locked up. With Lacey's performance last year it's more likely CB1, CB2, and NB are already on the roster. Why pick a player in the first that probably won't even have a chance to start unless he is just an unbelievable value? The only player that IMO would fit that at #31 is Joe Haden, who will absolutely not be there.

chad72
04-14-2010, 10:47 AM
To be honest, did we really need Donald Brown, a first round pick, to replace Dominic Rhodes? We could have done with a 2nd or 3rd round RB, right? The problem was Addai was banged up too often and Mike Hart's future was uncertain. Hence the logic for that pick.

Polian thinks probably a year or two in advance too, what if Addai asks for too much, maybe???

One, Kelvin Hayden's performance was way too sub-par for me last year and I am giving him the benefit of doubt with injury. With Sanders always on the injured list, Bethea and Bullitt played through a lot of banged up situations. Our CBs were constantly banged up as well in a run happy division. Quality depth is needed at CB, not just round 3 or round 4 quantitative depth. I almost think it is a cinch that a CB will be drafted in round 1 or round 2, my bets are on round 1. Nickel CBs that can play on the outside as well, those kind of versatile CBs go down in quality considerably after round 2 in this draft.

When we needed a DT bad and RB not too badly, Polian went with RB first and DT next, thank god for Mookie and Muir since Moala has not stepped up quickly enough for us. Along those lines, we need OL bad and CB bad enough but not too badly, Polian goes CB and then OL next, just call it a gut prediction. I got Donald Brown right last year, we will see how this year plays out.

killxswitch
04-14-2010, 12:02 PM
I think drafting Brown was a bad decision. I thought so last year and still do. So I hope you are wrong this year because I think it would be another bad decision to draft a CB in the 1st (other than Haden). Unless they're planning to cut Kelvin Hayden. He has definitely not been worth his contract so far.

Dam8610
04-15-2010, 11:40 AM
To be honest, did we really need Donald Brown, a first round pick, to replace Dominic Rhodes? We could have done with a 2nd or 3rd round RB, right? The problem was Addai was banged up too often and Mike Hart's future was uncertain. Hence the logic for that pick.

Polian thinks probably a year or two in advance too, what if Addai asks for too much, maybe???

One, Kelvin Hayden's performance was way too sub-par for me last year and I am giving him the benefit of doubt with injury. With Sanders always on the injured list, Bethea and Bullitt played through a lot of banged up situations. Our CBs were constantly banged up as well in a run happy division. Quality depth is needed at CB, not just round 3 or round 4 quantitative depth. I almost think it is a cinch that a CB will be drafted in round 1 or round 2, my bets are on round 1. Nickel CBs that can play on the outside as well, those kind of versatile CBs go down in quality considerably after round 2 in this draft.

When we needed a DT bad and RB not too badly, Polian went with RB first and DT next, thank god for Mookie and Muir since Moala has not stepped up quickly enough for us. Along those lines, we need OL bad and CB bad enough but not too badly, Polian goes CB and then OL next, just call it a gut prediction. I got Donald Brown right last year, we will see how this year plays out.

The difference in that comparison being the Colts haven't invested $40+ million in Joseph Addai, they have invested that much in Hayden over 5 or 6 years, so I doubt they'll be looking to replace him anytime soon. Also, there are 3 CBs on the roster right now that have proven starting capability, and while those are the only 3 CBs on the roster as of now, you usually don't draft a #4 CB with a 1st round pick.

Dam8610
04-15-2010, 11:42 AM
I think drafting Brown was a bad decision. I thought so last year and still do. So I hope you are wrong this year because I think it would be another bad decision to draft a CB in the 1st (other than Haden). Unless they're planning to cut Kelvin Hayden. He has definitely not been worth his contract so far.

This is also year 1 of it. I think he deserves more than one injury plagued season before we start determining his worthiness of the contract he was given, especially considering that he played very well to earn that contract with this team.

critesy
06-28-2010, 11:57 AM
any news on sisco or john chick ?

killxswitch
06-28-2010, 01:51 PM
This is also year 1 of it. I think he deserves more than one injury plagued season before we start determining his worthiness of the contract he was given, especially considering that he played very well to earn that contract with this team.

I dont' think he played well enough to earn the contract he got. At the time it was huge for a guy who is just not known for shutting down receivers. He's a good player but I don't think you can argue that his performance last season was worth the price. Yeah it is unfortunate that he got injured but he still got paid.

Dam8610
06-28-2010, 06:30 PM
I dont' think he played well enough to earn the contract he got. At the time it was huge for a guy who is just not known for shutting down receivers. He's a good player but I don't think you can argue that his performance last season was worth the price. Yeah it is unfortunate that he got injured but he still got paid.

At the time Hayden was given his extension, he was coming off a great season where he was far and away the #1 CB on the team. He may not have been known around the league as a "shutdown corner", but after two good but not outstanding seasons, it's rare to get that kind of reputation. Did he have a subpar year last year? Yes, but he was injured and/or playing through injuries most of the year. Now, if he continues to produce at the levels at which he produced last year, which would likely mean more injuries, then he's not worth the contract. However, if he starts producing at the levels he produced at in 08 (though hopefully injury free), he'll be well worth the contract. Even if he only produces up to his 07 form, he'll be much more worth the contract than he was last year.

killxswitch
06-28-2010, 07:18 PM
I don't disagree with any of that. I'm just saying that so far, it hasn't been worth it. That may change this season. I hope it does, we will need him with our lack of depth.

MaxV
08-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Colts signed another CB, Marcus McCauley, while Thad Turner was released.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2010/8/11/1618841/colts-cut-corner-thad-turner-sign

redviper311
09-09-2010, 06:18 AM
Found this interresting article on si.com about Gonzalez is unhappy with his role in Indy:

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/221730-gonzalez-unhappy-with-colts?eref=sihp

killxswitch
09-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Found this interresting article on si.com about Gonzalez is unhappy with his role in Indy:

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/221730-gonzalez-unhappy-with-colts?eref=sihp

I was surprised by his comments. He will get opportunities to play though. Between injuries and just the way the offense likes to exploit different matchups he will get playing time.

MaxV
09-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Colts signed former Chiefs FS DaJuan Morgan.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2010/9/15/1690442/colts-sign-former-chief-dajuan

killxswitch
09-16-2010, 12:56 PM
And we cut an OT to do it. We are way too thin at OL already.

RagingColt
09-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Addai is in his last year of his rookie contract right? What does everyone think about resigning him for perhaps a another year or two? He does a great job on pass protection and is ok at running. I don't see Brown becoming 1A this year or next so do we keep Joe?

RCAChainGang
09-25-2010, 08:46 PM
I really do not see us drafting a CB first round. I think our CB's are fine. We are young and it shows sometimes, but I still like Jerraud Powers as #2.

Addai should get resigned. He is too valuable in the passing game to let go unless he wants too much.

As for Gonzo... keep your mouth shut.

Jimmy
10-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Do you guys think that Melvin Bullitt has played his last game as a Colt?
Perhaps I read it wrong, but according to rotoworld, Bullitt's contract is set to expire. Do you shell out solid $$$ for a backup to the injury prone torpedo or do you let him go? the only reason i care is because i want denver to land him this offseason as insurance to dawkins if he retires.

MaxV
10-05-2010, 10:51 AM
It depends what kind of contract he'll command in the off-season.

I expect him to test the market.

If we lose him, SS will need to be a priority. We can't assume Bob will come back.

killxswitch
10-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Not sure. I feel bad for Bullit. He did well when called on and really helped the Colts out when Sanders was out. He probably outplayed his contract but he never complained about it. Now that he's hurt, with his contract about to end and the lockout coming up he's in a bad situation.

That said I would not mind an upgrade at his position.

killxswitch
10-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Guys have you looked at the upcoming free agent list for the Colts? It is potentially serious.

In order of perceived importance:

Starting QB Peyton Manning
Starting RB Joseph Addai
Starting LT Charlie Johnson
Starting DT Daniel Muir
Semi-starting DT Antonio Johnson
IRed Starting SS Melvin Bulitt
Starting WLB Clint Session
Starting MLB Philip Wheeler
Starting RG Mike Pollak

Add to this the following likely cuts based on salary vs. performance:

Starting SS Bob Sanders
Starting RT Ryan Diem

That is 9-12 starters (depends on how you count AJ, Bulitt, and Sanders) that are in their contract year and have not been given extensions.

Manning will obviously be re-signed. I don't know why it's taking so long but it is going to happen. I expect they will also re-sign Addai and CJ. Beyond that, it would not surprise me if they let the rest of them go. Maybe they retain one or both of the DTs, but I think Bulitt will get $$ elsewhere, Session and Wheeler are replaceable , Pollak and Diem are not worth keeping, and Sanders is just a lost cause.

The team could be radically different next season, if there is a season. It should be very interesting to say the least.

Seamus2602
10-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Starting QB Peyton Manning
Starting RB Joseph Addai
Starting LT Charlie Johnson
Starting DT Daniel Muir
Semi-starting DT Antonio Johnson
IRed Starting SS Melvin Bulitt
Starting WLB Clint Session
Starting MLB Philip Wheeler
Starting RG Mike Pollak

Starting SS Bob Sanders
Starting RT Ryan Diem

Manning will be resigned, and if not to a long term deal then Franchised. With Addai it depends on Brown's development. If Donald Brown comes back from injury and lights it up then I think they let Addai walk. If Brown continues to get injured or doesn't perform to a high standard then they need Addai.

Dan Muir, Mookie (and Eric Foster)'s contracts are all up but they can be resigned for relatively low money (not much higher than veteran minimum). They can also be significantly upgraded.

The team can go a couple of different ways with Session. The team have a history of letting Linebackers go (let June go after he was named to the Pro Bowl) and Session could command a lot of interest. He'd be second only to Greenway at 4-3 Outside Backer. This and the fact that they drafted Angerer in the 2nd Round (they didn't burn a 2nd Round pick just to let him stew behind Brackett for 5 years). All in all I think this is Session's final year as a Colt. At the same time he is, by a fair amount, the teams best backer (a player I am happy to say I got it wrong on).

Wheeler and Pollak's contracts aren't up until the year after. They both signed 4 year deals in 2008.

MaxV
10-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Well, maybe it'll finally force Polian to make some MUCH-NEEDED changes.

Diem should be shown the door. I'd like to get an upgrade over CJ, but that certainly won't be easy.

Seamus2602
10-13-2010, 06:55 AM
Well, maybe it'll finally force Polian to make some MUCH-NEEDED changes.

Diem should be shown the door. I'd like to get an upgrade over CJ, but that certainly won't be easy.

The problem is I don't see the talent on the Offensive Line in the 2011 draft. MAybe Camiri in the 2nd to replace Diem, or Anthony Costanzo in the 1st to replace CJ, but other than that I don't see any real talent at Tackle, while in the interior line only Pouncey is worth a high pick. I don't really rate the second tier of interior guys that highly either. So we need changes on the line but there doesn't seem to be talent in the draft.

MaxV
10-13-2010, 07:38 AM
Among interior linemen, I wouldn't draft either Wisniewski (and I'm a PSU fan) or Hudson.

Both are similar to the O-linemen that we already have.

Seamus2602
10-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Among interior linemen, I wouldn't draft either Wisniewski (and I'm a PSU fan) or Hudson.

Both are similar to the O-linemen that we already have.

That's the problem as well. A lot of the O-Linemen are either carbon copies of the guys we have (Costanzo being an athletic, intelligent, good pass blocking, underweight Offensive Tackle) or the complete opposite of what we have (some of the top Guards are like 340, 350 lbs who can't pass block well). We need someone in between the two. If the line doesn't improve I would vote for deep ending Linkenbach (who played well when given the chance), McClendon and Thomas. Anyone want to argue that either McClendon or Thomas wouldn't be an upgrade over Jamey Richard?

killxswitch
10-13-2010, 11:56 AM
That's the problem as well. A lot of the O-Linemen are either carbon copies of the guys we have (Costanzo being an athletic, intelligent, good pass blocking, underweight Offensive Tackle) or the complete opposite of what we have (some of the top Guards are like 340, 350 lbs who can't pass block well). We need someone in between the two. If the line doesn't improve I would vote for deep ending Linkenbach (who played well when given the chance), McClendon and Thomas. Anyone want to argue that either McClendon or Thomas wouldn't be an upgrade over Jamey Richard?

If it were up to me I would put Linkenback at RT immediately. That is not because I love Linkenbach (though I think he has done well in limited time). That is because Diem is slower than rhinoceros sh!t and is going to get Manning killed.

As for guard, Richard should not be starting. Pollak is better but that doesn't make him good. With Linkenbach at RT I would want some combo of Diem, Devan, and McClendon as the starting guards. Devan has proven to be better than Richard, it is beyond stupid that he isn't starting. Diem started as a guard and has plenty of power. He wouldn't need to worry as much about speed rushers at LG or RG. McClendon is the unknown but I would like to see what he can do.

MaxV
10-13-2010, 12:16 PM
I've seen some Wisconsin games and was fairly impressed with Carimi.

He looks like a decent RT prospect.

MaxV
10-18-2010, 11:10 PM
Colts signed RB Andre Brown.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20101018/SPORTS03/101018035/Colts-claim-RB-Brown-off-waivers-from-Denver?odyssey=tab

Ah-oh. I hope Addai is alright.

RagingColt
10-19-2010, 08:47 AM
Polian said on his radio show that Addai doesn't have a separated shoulder. Then again I'm not sure I'd trust anything that Polian says regarding injured players. If there is any other indispensable player on offense other than Peyt, it's Addai.

killxswitch
10-20-2010, 07:52 AM
FYI guys we just signed Andre Brown a couple days ago. It doesn't look good for Addai.

killxswitch
10-21-2010, 08:30 AM
Well crap, the team suspended McAfee for a game. How does that work when Moala had a DUI and nothing happened to him at all?

Seamus2602
10-21-2010, 08:56 AM
Fili Moala was slightly over the legal limit and was driven home in the evening. Stupid but still only a minor offence. Pat McAfee was off his face, in the early hours of the morning, swimming in a freezing canal, half naked and attempting to force his way into a woman's car. I can understand why the team took his offence more seriously.

killxswitch
10-21-2010, 02:53 PM
Known Injured:

Dallas Clark (wrist/hand)
Austin Collie (hand)
Joseph Addai (shoulder)
Bob Sanders (Bicep)
Cavell Connor (foot)
Melvin Bullit (shoulder, IRed)
Brandon King (hamstring, IRed)
Devin Moore (foot, IRed)
Kevin Thomas (knee, IRed)
Jamie Silva (knee, IRed)

Rumored:

Blair White (neck?)

Previously Injured (post-bye status unknown):

Gary Brackett (groin)
Anthony Gonzales (ankle)
Jacob Lacey (foot)
Donald Brown (hamstring)

Game 1 starters in italics.

What a mess this team is right now.

killxswitch
10-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Add Dallas to IR and Antonio Johnson to the questionable list. Dammit.

MaxV
10-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Go Jacob Tamme! Show everyone that you are good.

killxswitch
10-27-2010, 01:56 PM
Go Jacob Tamme! Show everyone that you are good.

I think he'll do well running a few routes and he has good hands. He cannot block to save his life though. And he is obviously just a general step down from Clark.

MaxV
10-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Looks like Colts signed a promising Safety Chip Vaughn.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2010/10/26/1775219/colts-sign-chip-vaughn-to-add-depth-to-decimated-safety-position

killxswitch
10-27-2010, 09:02 PM
I read good things about him on this board but he hasn't done much yet.

Seamus2602
10-28-2010, 01:23 PM
The signing of Vaughn is, in my opinion, part of the fall out of Dallas Clark's injury. Chip Vaughn isn't going to play a significant amount on defence (barring further injury to our Safeties) but will play on special teams. The Colts best Special Teams player in the last couple of years has been Jacob Tamme who is going to now be asked to step in an play more in the Offense and so needs a Special Teams replacement.

MaxV
10-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Could Vaughn return?

Seamus2602
10-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Could Vaughn return?

He didn't return in College so I don't know but I doubt it.

MaxV
11-06-2010, 11:06 PM
They've gotta add someone to the roster now.

killxswitch
11-06-2010, 11:25 PM
I think they added Andre Brown from the PS.

MaxV
11-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Chip Vaughn to IR. Al Afalava signed.

killxswitch
11-24-2010, 02:14 PM
Whats the +/- on the number of safeties we lose to injury this season?

I'm going with 5.

MaxV
11-24-2010, 02:17 PM
I've lost count, man.

This season has been a grind.

We (Colts' fans) aren't used to this. Usually, by this time of the year, we are looking at potential playoff matchups. This season, post-season isn't a certainty.

killxswitch
11-24-2010, 02:24 PM
It's not a certainty, but if we beat the Chargers without anyone else getting hurt I think we have a good shot at the division. If the Chargers win I think it'll be pretty tough going. This next game is not a must-win, but it is close. The margins this year are pretty thin.

RagingColt
11-25-2010, 10:21 PM
We're just an average team right now with a top 5 QB. That's about it.

killxswitch
11-25-2010, 11:45 PM
Probably true. Wayne is obviously playing with an injury. Clark and Gonzo are on IR. Collie and Addai are out indefinitely. That doesn't leave much in the way of playmakers.

MaxV
12-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Colts bring back Michael Toudouze.

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=4cfe94ff-c66b-4d20-8903-3ba92cb5d4eb

killxswitch
12-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Championship!

MaxV
12-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Colts sign CB Mike Richardson. Presumably to help the ST.

http://www.reservationforsix.com/2010/12/colts-sign-mike-richardson.html

killxswitch
12-28-2010, 12:30 PM
He is probably an upgrade from Pender. A pretty marginal move. My worry was that he was signed to replace an IRed Hayden. I'm glad that is not the case.