PDA

View Full Version : Consider this

bored of education
04-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Buffalo: A

One of my favorite drafts. McKelvin, Hardy and Ellis could all come in and start and filled some major holes. Though I'm not a huge fan of Corner and Fine, both have niches that may fit into Buffalo. I think Omon and Bell were great late rounders. Great draft.

1. Leodis McKelvin CB/Troy
2. James Hardy WR/Indiana
3. Chris Ellis DE/Virginia Tech
4. Reggie Corner CB/Akron
4. Derek Fine TE/Kansas
5. Alvin Bowen LB/Iowa State
6. Xavier Omon RB/Northwest Missouri State
7. Demetrius Bell OT/Northwestern State
7. Steve Johnson WR/Kentucky
7. Kenard Cox CB/Pitt

That is a solid draft class for a young team on the merge of becomming a team that could contend for 11 wins.

I almost forgot that Puz should be considered a rookie. So add in the 2nd rounder in Puz and they could have one of if not the best draft class this year.

I almost forgot that he missed all of the regular season.

princefielder28
04-29-2008, 07:28 PM
There's no doubt that the Bills are prime for making that next step, but it all rests on the shoulders of Trent Edwards because I think that defense will be solid and they have a real nice running game.

fischbowl
04-29-2008, 07:35 PM
If we get quell any injuries we definitely have a Wild Card shot. The Bills had the most players on the PUP list and the IR last year.

The league takes us foregranted and we'll have to beat that. We haven't made the playoffs since 1999 and it's something we'll have to overcome.

There still is a few pieces missing, but they'll be put together over the next two years.

MESSAGE TO NFL: We're Contenders. Don't **** with Buffalo :P

bored of education
04-29-2008, 07:35 PM
If we get quell any injuries we definitely have a Wild Card shot. The Bills had the most players on the PUP list and the IR last year.

The league takes us foregranted and we'll have to beat that. We haven't made the playoffs since 1999 and it's something we'll have to overcome.

There still is a few pieces missing, but they'll be put together over the next two years.

MESSAGE TO NFL: We're Contenders. Don't **** with Buffalo :P

word up fischy plus rep!

brat316
04-29-2008, 08:00 PM
You know what is funny on NFL live they regraded the draft class three years ago. The team that got a C the Chargers now deseves and A, and the Cowboys got a B+ also now gets an A.

Some of the teams that got an A actually did pretty crappy in that draft, well didn't get the stars they wanted. One team was the Eagles with Patterson and Brown that year.

You can think you have a good draft now but three years from now you may not have such a great draft class.

Matthew Jones
04-29-2008, 08:15 PM
It all depends on a number of factors. It definitely looks good now, though, and it's not a stretch to say the Bills could win nine or so games this year.

Don Vito
04-29-2008, 08:28 PM
The pieces are definitely in place for Buffalo, like it said before it all depends on Edwards at QB. They've got a lot of young talent to work with.

-RB: Marshawn Lynch/Fred Jackson
-WR: Lee Evans/Josh Reed/James Hardy/James Hardy
-TE: Robert Royal/Courtney Anderson
-OL: Peters/Dockery/Fowler/Butler/Walker (not sure about Butler/Fowler)

-DE: Schoebel/Kelsay/Ellis
-DT: Stroud/McCargo/Spencer Johnson/Kyle Williams
-WLB: Kawika Mitchell/Kevin Ellison
-MLB: Puz
-SLB: Angelo Crowell
-CB: McKelvin/McGee/Youboty/Jabari Greer/Reggie Corner
-FS: Ko
-SS: Whitner

That is a lot of young talent and they could be a player in the AFC.

toonsterwu
04-29-2008, 08:28 PM
I agree. I said the other day that I really loved the Bills draft, and a couple days later, I still do. In fact, I think it may be the best overall draft this year, in regards to meeting team needs and getting value. I find it funny that the pundits aren't all that huge on it. They addressed their two big needs (CB/WR). More importantly, they played the media. It seemed fairly apparent they were overselling on Devin Thomas, but even till the last days, you heard folks say stuff about how they talked themselves into a WR and had to take one. Huh? (On a side note, it would've been itneresting if Harvey had fallen what their decision would've been.)

They added a potential pass rushe rin Ellis. I think Jauron is the type of coach Ellis needs, someone to support him but be firm. Kelsay's contract goes up by a bit after next year, so Ellis could be in line to take his place if he plays well. Reggie Corner had risen late, and was fine value there, although Fine was probably a smidge high, but nothing to get worked up about. And Fine was a need, as they could use another TE option.

Their last 4 picks all offer value and some upside. In particular, Cox, who could end up providing them needed S depth. Bell is a nice project. I'm not sure Omon beats out Wright, but who knows. Certianly offers nice depth. Bowen is an interesting guy. Undersized, not exactly top athletc gifts, but rangy and aggressive. At worst, seems like solid depth.

Now, this is't to say this team will definitely move forward. As we've seen with teams that have risen to this level, the next step is always the hardest. Everything comes down to Schonert and Edwards. Can they put it together? Because they'll need more from the passing game this year. Defensively, it's an unknown if Stroud can be the monster they need. That said, all in all, superb offseason for them.

lordquas
04-29-2008, 08:40 PM
reggie corner in the 4th? i dont know about that

fischbowl
04-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Corner will be great, most definitely an important part of the secondary. I guarantee it lordquas, I'm advocating it as a steal

Both management and the coaching staff are behind Edwards 100% and I think he has a breakthrough year in 2008.

TE is a problem. Fine is not the answer, and Royal has fallen out of favor. That is the number one need right now. We'll spring for Chase Coffman or Cornelius Ingram next year probably. I would really want Andrew Quarless shall he declare.

Toonster, you're right, the fate of the defense rests solely in the hands of Marcus Stroud.

MidwayMonster31
04-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Buffalo is definitely on their way up. At first glance, this year's schedule isn't nearly as brutal as last year's schedule. I agree that Edwards will be the key to their season. If the rookies, especially Hardy, can contribute right away, they can be tough to deal with.

Geo
04-29-2008, 09:00 PM
You know, the Packers drafting of Brian Brohm late in the 2nd reminded me of the Bills drafting Trent Edwards late in the 3rd in '07. Which was a great pick for the Bills, because they are in much better hands with Edwards at the helm. He tailed off a bit last year, and the offense as a whole struggled, but Edwards showed great flashes. Devilvering the ball accurately and with a quick release.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Packers' pick fared similarly for the team, although certainly I regard Aaron Rodgers more highly than I do Losman at the current moment.

The one thing I wonder is if Buffalo might have got ansy with the TE pick, maybe they were hoping Jacob Tamme would fall to their pick in the 4th but the Colts took him before that. Of course if Fine works out, then no matter.

toonsterwu
04-29-2008, 10:12 PM
reggie corner in the 4th? i dont know about that

There were several boards that projected him in the 4th/5th, so I don't see a big issue with the value there. He had a real solid season, but wasn't really talked about due to school and size. But he's got hands, instincts, he's willing to tackle. Is he going to be a stud? Probably not, but he could be a very solid guy for him. Solid numbers, btw, for those that are interested in that.

tom
04-29-2008, 10:26 PM
I don't know... They have some good players, but I can't really see them as contenders at this point in time... To me, they're already 0-2 (they play the pats twice) and I can't see them go 10 and 4 the rest of the way.

If edwards develops into a very good Qb and all these guys pan out, maybe they'll be contenders in 2009, but right now, I'd take the jets over the bills.

fischbowl
04-29-2008, 10:29 PM
There were several boards that projected him in the 4th/5th, so I don't see a big issue with the value there. He had a real solid season, but wasn't really talked about due to school and size. But he's got hands, instincts, he's willing to tackle. Is he going to be a stud? Probably not, but he could be a very solid guy for him. Solid numbers, btw, for those that are interested in that.

4 year starter.

First team MAC at CB

Third best prospect in the conference IMO behind Lichtensteiger and Louis Delmas this year.

MetSox17
04-29-2008, 10:29 PM
You know what is funny on NFL live they regraded the draft class three years ago. The team that got a C the Chargers now deseves and A, and the Cowboys got a B+ also now gets an A.

Some of the teams that got an A actually did pretty crappy in that draft, well didn't get the stars they wanted. One team was the Eagles with Patterson and Brown that year.

You can think you have a good draft now but three years from now you may not have such a great draft class.

Well NFL Live is a big crock of s*** sometimes. Who cares what the best draft classes of three years ago were when it comes to rating them. If a team believes they got all the players they wanted and that could become successful, who cares what mockers and "analysts" grade them as? To them, players that bloom do that because they were expected to, not because they threw gravy at the wall in hopes of it sticking.

From the looks of it, the Bills had a very solid draft because they got players that were generally thought of to be very good prospects in rounds other than the first.

JagHombre22
04-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Buffalo made themselves a contender with the additions of Stroud, McKelvin, and Hardy....solid.

CC.SD
04-29-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm also high on Buffalo. Marshawn is beastly!

art vandelay
04-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Like most have said, the fate of the team will rest with Edwards and new OC Turk Schonert to turn around the extremely vanilla offense from last year. The running game shouldn't be a problem (will be a strength), but the passing offense and more specifically the red zone scoring needs to improve significantly.

On defense, how well Marcus Stroud, Ko Simpson and Paul Pozluszny return from season-ending injuries last year? Also, how well will McKelvin adjust to the NFL, especially since he will probably start (at least at the nickel). On paper, it appears we have a much easier schedule than last year and if we can sweep the Dolphins and Jets again, I will take 4-2 in our division all day. Should be an interesting season. In the past, whenever the Bills take one step forward one season, they take a step back the next. Here's hoping we can make the playoffs for the first season since the MSM.

Yatta!
04-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Obviously Buffalo had a great draft and will be much improved but I think they're getting a little too much hype atm. Most of their players still need to mature and of course there is a lot of pressure on Edwards, he hasn't proven that he's the answer yet. I doubt they'll make the playoffs but they'll be better than last year.

TheGreatEscape
04-30-2008, 01:57 PM
I watched every single bills game becausefor some reason local tv stations think showing the hometeam's games is more important than running my team's games. I've gotta say that I'm really liking their lineup, but if injuries strike again I think the bills are to thin to still make a playoff push.

The D, if healthy, should be very stout and on they'll run the ball well and move the chains with a quick short passing game. My question isn't with Edwards because he looked great, he didn't push things too much, taking what he could moving well and finding guys for consistent gains, my question is whether the staff his him ready to open up the passing game if they need a quick score.

Plus their special teams are ace.

TheGreatEscape
04-30-2008, 02:04 PM
I really hope they can make it because a riot is a great way to start the spring semester, then a week in Allentown to recooperate.

04-30-2008, 02:12 PM
I wouldn't be worried very much about Edwards. Sure, like with many young QBs the success of the team rides on how quickly he progresses but he just doesn't come across as a boom or bust type. Don't know whether he'll be great either by any means though he's certainly now got most of the weapons he needs to become successful.

TheGreatEscape
04-30-2008, 02:21 PM
I wouldn't be worried very much about Edwards. Sure, like with many young QBs the success of the team rides on how quickly he progresses but he just doesn't come across as a boom or bust type. Don't know whether he'll be great either by any means though he's certainly now got most of the weapons he needs to become successful.

Watching Edwards I'm very comfortable saying he won't be an issue unless Buffalo has to win many shutouts, which I doubt they will.

Shane P. Hallam
04-30-2008, 02:37 PM
The main thing that scares me about Buffalo is Jauron as a game-day coach. Maybe I'm WAY off (as I'm sure Bills fans will tell me,) but when he coached before, I always saw him as...mediocre on game day.

Who knows, but I don't think he is a Super Bowl coach by any means, nor will ever be.

TheGreatEscape
04-30-2008, 02:45 PM
The main thing that scares me about Buffalo is Jauron as a game-day coach. Maybe I'm WAY off (as I'm sure Bills fans will tell me,) but when he coached before, I always saw him as...mediocre on game day.

Who knows, but I don't think he is a Super Bowl coach by any means, nor will ever be.

Jauron managed to keep a scout team in the playoff hunt last year. I don't think he's a good enough guy to take them to the superbowl but he is good enough to make them a playoff contender.

art vandelay
04-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Obviously Buffalo had a great draft and will be much improved but I think they're getting a little too much hype atm. Most of their players still need to mature and of course there is a lot of pressure on Edwards, he hasn't proven that he's the answer yet. I doubt they'll make the playoffs but they'll be better than last year.

Well at one point last year they were 7-6 and finished 7-9. So "better than last year" would be at least 8-8. If they can get to 9-7 or 10-6 they can get the wildcard, so 2-3 wins more than last year should get them into the playoffs.

art vandelay
04-30-2008, 02:57 PM

Jauron delivered us a masterpiece last year. He probably gets a little too much credit for it, but we were winning games with 3rd and 4th stringers in our starting lineup. The fact that we were sniffing the playoffs with a few weeks to go is truly remarkable.

art vandelay
04-30-2008, 03:04 PM

The thing with Edwards is that he would look excellent one week and then scare the **** out of you the next week with a JP Losman-like boneheaded throw. Given he was a rookie thrust into the starting lineup, but he had his share of head-scratchers. I really hope that a change in OC's (Fairchild gone, thank god) and a year under his belt will help, which obviously I think it will. It doesn't hurt that the coaching staff and current-Buffalo regime has alot more faith in him than Losman since they drafted Edwards (former GM Tom Donahoe drafted Losman). All signs point to Edwards having a great year but the same was said about Losman last year so I'm not getting my hopes too high for him.

Shane P. Hallam
04-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Jauron delivered us a masterpiece last year. He probably gets a little too much credit for it, but we were winning games with 3rd and 4th stringers in our starting lineup. The fact that we were sniffing the playoffs with a few weeks to go is truly remarkable.

I'm just not sure if it was him, even watching the games, I don't by what he does on gameday. Like I said, just an opinion, but I thought the initial higher would just keep them at mediocrity, and we'll see if that happens.

art vandelay
04-30-2008, 03:07 PM
I watched every single bills game becausefor some reason local tv stations think showing the hometeam's games is more important than running my team's games. I've gotta say that I'm really liking their lineup, but if injuries strike again I think the bills are to thin to still make a playoff push.

The D, if healthy, should be very stout and on they'll run the ball well and move the chains with a quick short passing game. My question isn't with Edwards because he looked great, he didn't push things too much, taking what he could moving well and finding guys for consistent gains, my question is whether the staff his him ready to open up the passing game if they need a quick score.

Plus their special teams are ace.

I pretty much agree with everything here. Obviously injuries decimated us last year and we still managed to hang around, but I agree if we want to get to the playoffs and further we can't have that many injuries this year. I think as far as the coaching staff goes they will open up the playbook more (new OC Turk Schonert promised that he would) especially with a new reliable safety blanket in James Hardy over the middle if Lee Evans is covered deep.

art vandelay
04-30-2008, 03:11 PM
I'm just not sure if it was him, even watching the games, I don't by what he does on gameday. Like I said, just an opinion, but I thought the initial higher would just keep them at mediocrity, and we'll see if that happens.

We sure will! I'm a big Jauron supporter as he is a very smart and well-spoken coach who all the players love. Marcus Stroud even mentioned in an interview that he was really looking forward to playing for Jauron as all of his former players had nothing but great things to say about him. I hope he can get us to the playoffs but again I think our hopes this year live and die with Trent Edwards and his ability to get us into the end zone, which was a MAJOR problem last year.

TheGreatEscape
04-30-2008, 11:53 PM
We sure will! I'm a big Jauron supporter as he is a very smart and well-spoken coach who all the players love. Marcus Stroud even mentioned in an interview that he was really looking forward to playing for Jauron as all of his former players had nothing but great things to say about him. I hope he can get us to the playoffs but again I think our hopes this year live and die with Trent Edwards and his ability to get us into the end zone, which was a MAJOR problem last year.

I think Hardy helps that problem in a big way. I see Hardy as a Plax clone with his head on straighter. Sounds like a good kid who just wants to prove to people that he can rock on this level.