PDA

View Full Version : Brian Cushing

Fuzzy Dunlop
04-29-2008, 07:35 PM
What do you guys think of Brian Cushing as a prospect? Coming out of High School, he put up some ridiculous numbers with a 4.51 40, 38 Bench Reps and a 40" vertical. Has played SLB and stand-up DE for USC, but seems versatile enough to play any LB spot in a 4-3 or 3-4. Injuries seem to be the only thing holding him back as he's had knee surgery and sat out some of 2007 with an ankle injury that hasn't quite gone away. Still won Rose Bowl D-MVP after the ankle. But with a solid Senior season and a great Combine, I could see him going in the top 10. If things play out, USC's defense could potentially have 3 Top 10 picks in Cushing, Maualuga, and Mays.

bored of education
04-29-2008, 07:36 PM
those are some big what ifs

BaLLiN
04-29-2008, 07:44 PM
id say that all three SC players listed arent worth top 10, but id add another to that list of potential 1st rounders next year. Fili Moala. I actually think that him or Maualuga will go in the teens and Cushing and Mays will be borderline 1st-2nds

Fuzzy Dunlop
04-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Yeah, I completely forgot about Moala, who is a better prospect than any of them right now. I'm not saying that any of the other 3 will be going, but they all have skill sets that could potentially have teams drooling next year.

Babylon
04-29-2008, 08:49 PM
What do you guys think of Brian Cushing as a prospect? Coming out of High School, he put up some ridiculous numbers with a 4.51 40, 38 Bench Reps and a 40" vertical. Has played SLB and stand-up DE for USC, but seems versatile enough to play any LB spot in a 4-3 or 3-4. Injuries seem to be the only thing holding him back as he's had knee surgery and sat out some of 2007 with an ankle injury that hasn't quite gone away. Still won Rose Bowl D-MVP after the ankle. But with a solid Senior season and a great Combine, I could see him going in the top 10. If things play out, USC's defense could potentially have 3 Top 10 picks in Cushing, Maualuga, and Mays.

Too many good players out there for these 3 to go in the top 10 but top 20 isnt out of the question and add Moala as was mentioned.

Cushing probably isnt running 4.5 anymore having gained about 25 lbs since highschool, but to me he is the most instinctive of all their linebackers there and that includes Rivers. Chris Galipo was great in the spring game so there is more help down on the farm.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-29-2008, 08:57 PM
I'm really far from sold on Moala. I think people are overstating his ability.

Cushing is an interesting prospect to be sure, but so much will depend which direction he step in this year. If he can get over his injury and makes plays while lining up next to Maualuga, he a definite threat for the first round.

MNRunLeft
04-29-2008, 10:07 PM
Mays has top 10 potential, and will likely put up insane numbers at the combine if he decides to leave early. I think Rey will a borderline top 10 pick and I think he'll be the first LB taken in next years draft. Cushing is probably best suited to be in a 3-4 as a hybrid so I don't see him going as high because he doesn't fit in as many teams systems but I think he's a mid to later first round pick. Moala probably goes the highest of all somewhere in the top 10 and potentially even top 5 depending on how this year goes.

thebow305
04-29-2008, 10:44 PM
I love this year's USC prospects. I would take Maualuga, Cushing, or Mays in a heartbeat in the 1st round. If Maualuga had come out, he would have replaced Jerod Mayo at #10 to the Patriots, I am positive of that! That being said, Cushing is my FAVORITE prospect for the class of 2009. If the Dolphins get him next year I will be VERY happy. This guy is a beast. He is big enough and fast enough to play any linebacker position in any system, 4-3 or 3-4, in the NFL.

Brent
04-29-2008, 10:56 PM
I like him a lot.

Solomon
04-29-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm really far from sold on Moala. I think people are overstating his ability.

Cushing is an interesting prospect to be sure, but so much will depend which direction he step in this year. If he can get over his injury and makes plays while lining up next to Maualuga, he a definite threat for the first round.

Agreed on Moala. I've never been impressed with him and frankly I would be shocked if he doesn't end up going on the first day when all is said and done. IMO Peria Jerry, Jeff Owens, Vance Walker, BJ Raji, and Demarcus Granger ( I know he's not a senior next year but I really really doubt he will stick around for his senior year) are all better prospects.

Yatta!
04-30-2008, 03:27 AM
Cushing will be the top OLB next year. I think Maulaluga gets drafted before him though, probably in the top 10 but Cushing should be gone inside the top 20. Linebacker class looks pretty good next year.

YAYareaRB
04-30-2008, 10:42 AM
With the importance of NT rising as well as the number of teams running the 3-4 I could easily see Moala going in the 1st. He has the build, far superior strength and athleticism than Raji, Walker, and Owens, and he's from USC is who are known to produce some pretty good defensive players, Polynesian defensive players too.

keylime_5
04-30-2008, 10:45 AM
injuries might hurt Brian's stock a little, but if he can stay healthy all of this season then he shouldn't have to worry about falling out of the top 20 or top 25. He can play SLB or MLB in a 4-3 and can play inside or out (though probably inside being much much more likely) in a 3-4.

DeathbyStat
04-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Cushing, Maualuga, and Mays i feel will all we first roudn picks

Jughead10
04-30-2008, 11:19 AM
injuries might hurt Brian's stock a little, but if he can stay healthy all of this season then he shouldn't have to worry about falling out of the top 20 or top 25. He can play SLB or MLB in a 4-3 and can play inside or out (though probably inside being much much more likely) in a 3-4.

He looks a little soft now. He has always had the roid rumor with him. And he isn't going to time well in my opinion. He is a borderline first rounder I think.

TheGreatEscape
04-30-2008, 01:44 PM
If he stays healthy and dominates like he should he'll look great to many teams early, maybe the jets bring him back to theeast coast to play next to David Harris?

Babylon
04-30-2008, 02:05 PM
He looks a little soft now. He has always had the roid rumor with him. And he isn't going to time well in my opinion. He is a borderline first rounder I think.

They get drug tested there on a regular basis so if he is or has been on roids then he's beating the system. As for his 40 time i think he will run a 4.6 which is slower than when he came out of highschool but certainly good for the position. And lastly most mocks will have him as a early to mid 1st round pick so you're pretty much alone in your prediction.

If someone doesnt have a concrete source it isnt wise to accuse someone of using drugs.

Jughead10
04-30-2008, 02:53 PM
They get drug tested there on a regular basis so if he is or has been on roids then he's beating the system. As for his 40 time i think he will run a 4.6 which is slower than when he came out of highschool but certainly good for the position. And lastly most mocks will have him as a early to mid 1st round pick so you're pretty much alone in your prediction.

If someone doesnt have a concrete source it isnt wise to accuse someone of using drugs.

I could be alone. However mocks at this point are stupid. They go off of college production more than actual transition into the NFL. Where was Colt Brennan last year at this time?

The Worldofx
05-02-2008, 01:22 AM
SC held it's testing the other day and the biggest news came from Cushing, no surprise.

Cush measured in at 6'4", 252 pounds, ran a 4.55 40, had a 39" vertical, posted 35 reps at 225 pounds, and posted his usual ridiculous shuttle time of 3.89. He's easily the best athlete for his size at SC.

Rey Rey posted some nice strength numbers but only ran a 4.72 40, he needs to shed about 10 more pounds this offseason.

Trying to get some conformation on Taylor Mays' time, it was the fastest on the team and the rumor is it was a 4.23 but I find that hard to believe considering he's at around 238 pounds.

tEk
05-02-2008, 02:52 AM
SC held it's testing the other day and the biggest news came from Cushing, no surprise.

Cush measured in at 6'4", 252 pounds, ran a 4.55 40, had a 39" vertical, posted 35 reps at 225 pounds, and posted his usual ridiculous shuttle time of 3.89. He's easily the best athlete for his size at SC.

Rey Rey posted some nice strength numbers but only ran a 4.72 40, he needs to shed about 10 more pounds this offseason.

Trying to get some conformation on Taylor Mays' time, it was the fastest on the team and the rumor is it was a 4.23 but I find that hard to believe considering he's at around 238 pounds.i very excite!

A Perfect Score
05-02-2008, 07:52 AM
cushing is a manimal...hes a legit top 15 talent if he has a productive senior season and continues to post numbers like that...

SMoore
05-02-2008, 07:59 AM
cushing is a beast, and his 40 time should be good, i don't see why it wouldn't be, he's always been a fast LB

he's pretty versatile to he played some DE his sophomore year if i remember correctly

Byrd430
05-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Cushing actually did VERY well at the DE spot which is why I think he'll be a great prospect. In a 3-4 hybrid defense that Pete Carroll runs at USC, he was a good stand up DE and an even better OLB. The only major question for now is how he overcomes the ankle injury, but I think he should be fine. He's a definite first rounder.

A Perfect Score
05-02-2008, 11:05 AM
on another note, if mays actually ran a legit 4.23 at 238 lbs, watch for him to go top 10 next year too...thats fast

youcandoit1687
05-03-2008, 11:25 PM
just nitpicking but his bench press number would be with 185 lbs. not 225 like the NFL combine

BamaFalcon59
05-03-2008, 11:47 PM
If Cushing produces next season then he will essentially be an undersized Shawn Merriman. The steriotype might hurt him, because white players are looked down upon as athletes. They get the motor thing, even if they are excellent athletes as well.

BamaFalcon59
05-03-2008, 11:49 PM
http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/BRIANCUSHING7_301200.JPG

Big guy.

bernbabybern820
05-04-2008, 10:33 AM
http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/BRIANCUSHING7_301200.JPG

Big guy.

Thats an old pic when he was 220 pounds back in highschool.

Unbiased
06-01-2008, 10:58 AM
If Cushing produces next season then he will essentially be an undersized Shawn Merriman. The steriotype might hurt him, because white players are looked down upon as athletes. They get the motor thing, even if they are excellent athletes as well.

undersized? They might as well be clones, physically.

doingthisinsteadofwork
06-01-2008, 11:00 AM
How good is Cushing at shedding blocks?

keylime_5
06-01-2008, 11:10 AM
While Cushing can play OLB in a 3-4, he doesn't have the pass rushing skills on par with NFL 3-4 OLBs who are essentially DEs paid to get to the QB first and foremost. This is why I think 3-4 teams will put him at ILB if he goes to one. He'd be a perfect fit there, a mediocre fit at OLB.

rockio42
06-01-2008, 11:41 AM
While Cushing can play OLB in a 3-4, he doesn't have the pass rushing skills on par with NFL 3-4 OLBs who are essentially DEs paid to get to the QB first and foremost. This is why I think 3-4 teams will put him at ILB if he goes to one. He'd be a perfect fit there, a mediocre fit at OLB.

so your saying hes more of a Mike Vrabel than a Shawn Merriman

Byrd430
06-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Cushing has also played at SS. I love his versatility and I think he could be a good strongside linebacker in a 4-3. I think he and Gerald McRath are the two best at the position and could both be first rounders.

However, I think his nagging ankle injury is gonna keep him from going top 10. I like everybody else, am far far far from sold on Fili and I think he's one of the more overrated players so far.

Mauluga should go top 10 I think. Cushing may be top 15-20, especially if he fills out his ankle injury.

Unbiased
06-01-2008, 12:28 PM

He excelled at DE at USC.

Cigaro
06-01-2008, 12:32 PM

Yeah, thats probably more comparable. I'm tired of people thinking that 3-4 OLBs are only the field to rush the quarterback. They also must stop the run and drop back aswell. I think he'd excel as a 3-4 OLB.

d34ng3l021
06-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Cushing seems to be a damn versatile guy. While in the 3-4 he could be a solid OLB and a very good ILB, I think he would best fit into a 4-3 as a SLB.

And wow for Taylor Mays' time. Even for possibly running on a fast track, thats ridiculous for a guy his size.

Clayton89
06-02-2008, 12:59 AM
http://i29.tinypic.com/de6xb9.jpg
this picture itself would scare me if i had to block him and ya if taylor mays runs in the 4.3's looking like that hes as good a chance as any safety of going top 10

'cuse-213
06-02-2008, 02:30 PM
http://i29.tinypic.com/de6xb9.jpg

They must workout.

eaglesalltheway
06-03-2008, 06:33 AM
They must workout.

Nah, its their metabolism.

keylime_5
06-03-2008, 09:36 AM

Well Vrabel was a guy who played DE in college and set the school record for sacks. Cushing isn't quite that good of a pass rusher even though he can play the outside and rush from the edge. Tedy Bruschi played DE in college and he was an ILB in the NFL and never an OLB. Somewhere between Bruschi and Vrable, but more like Vrabel.