PDA

View Full Version : The 2008 Big XII Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Brent
04-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Every other conference seems to have one, so why not.

Odds are, my school will suck it up again. Might have a few bright spots but who knows. I just hope we're good since it'll be my last football season to see here.

I think that it'll be Oklahoma in the South and Mizzou or Kansas in the North with OU winning the conference.

adschofield
04-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Yeah I agree that the top 3 teams are Oklahoma, Kansas, and Missouri (maybe not talent-wise, but performance wise)...Missouri will probably take us down in the Arrowhead Game...OU will probably win the confernce.

Oh I think Kansas upsets Texas

Brent
04-29-2008, 10:58 PM
I just hope we can make it three in a row against UT. I was in the 5th row at the 50 yard line for our game last year. Probably the best A&M football experience I was part of... of course "The Shot" by Acie was my #1 but that is another story.

adschofield
04-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Big XII is on the way up IMO...The only team that I think will be worse than last year is Nebraska

Brent
04-30-2008, 08:36 AM
I'd say that Baylor is on the way up but let's not kid ourselves. Sam Keller couldn't help Nebraska, Kirby Freeman certainly isnt going to save Baylor.

nrk
04-30-2008, 01:39 PM
The division is definitely Oklahoma's to lose. I can still see Kansas or Missouri win if they play like they did last year. Bob Stoops has to get the Sooners prepared for road games.

Brent
04-30-2008, 02:18 PM
The division is definitely Oklahoma's to lose. I can still see Kansas or Missouri win if they play like they did last year. Bob Stoops has to get the Sooners prepared for road games.
Stoops is the best coach in the conference. And I feel he's the best recruiter in the conference too. Mack just goes after all the athletic freaks he can get, where Stoops seems to want guys who will come in and play well.

KCJ58
04-30-2008, 02:41 PM
watch our for this guy next year
http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/Images/Photos/9fd12b81-710c-401c-97f0-708367c47264.jpg

Turtlepower
04-30-2008, 02:50 PM
I think Texas will win the Big XII this year. I know they lose a lot, but I just have a feeling that Oklahoma loses a couple in-conference and I think that Colorado also surprises a few.

nrk
04-30-2008, 02:56 PM
I think Texas will win the Big XII this year. I know they lose a lot, but I just have a feeling that Oklahoma loses a couple in-conference and I think that Colorado also surprises a few.

Texas has a chance, but that all depends on which Colt McCoy shows up.

adschofield
04-30-2008, 03:41 PM
I just don't see Texas winning the conference...they have to play @ Kansas, vs. Oklahoma, and vs. Missouri. They have as much talent as anyone, but if they couldn't win it last year, they certainly won't win this year.

KCJ58
04-30-2008, 04:15 PM
North:
1. Missouri
2. Kansas
3. Colorado
4. Kansas State
5. Nebraska
6. Iowa State

South:
1. Oklahoma
2. Texas
3. Texas Tech
4. Oklahoma State
5. Texas A&M
6. Baylor

Big XII MVP: Sam Bradford QB/Oklahoma
Big XII OPY: Michael Crabtree WR/Texas Tech
Big XII DPY: Auston English DE/Oklahoma
Big XII COY (Coach): Dan Hawkins (Colorado)
Big XII Freshman: Darrell Scott RB/Colorado

nfrillman
04-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Big XII is on the way up IMO...The only team that I think will be worse than last year is Nebraska

You can't see Kansas being worse? I don't want to start an argument, but they do have to play Oklahoma and Texas this year..........the best two teams in the conference usually, instead of the other Big 12 South lower tier teams.

Brent
05-01-2008, 12:04 AM
South:
1. Oklahoma
2. Texas
3. Texas Tech
4. Oklahoma State
5. Texas A&M
6. Baylor
I love how ever year people think that Ok State will be decent and then they fail. They cannot close out games to save their lives.

Brent
05-01-2008, 12:05 AM
if they couldn't win it last year, they certainly won't win this year.
They couldn't even beat us, how on Earth could the win the conference.

nrk
05-01-2008, 12:29 AM
I love how ever year people think that Ok State will be decent and then they fail. They cannot close out games to save their lives.

I definitely agree that A&M > OSU. I see an Oklahoma vs Mizzou Big XII Championship, with Oklahoma coming out on top.

America
05-01-2008, 10:23 AM
The North is a lot stronger than the South again this year. I think Kansas takes a small step back, not a large one, just Colorado and KSU can compete with them this year, maybe one gets an upset. I think Sam Bradford is a candidate for the sophomore slump, but not one big enough to take them down from top of the South, as much as it kills me to say it. Texas will be a completely different team this year. They have are light years faster on D but equally as inexperienced. The offense has almost no big play threat. They have more talent than most of the other south teams, but the young guys will have to grow up fast if they want to compete with OU.

adschofield
05-01-2008, 03:14 PM
You can't see Kansas being worse? I don't want to start an argument, but they do have to play Oklahoma and Texas this year..........the best two teams in the conference usually, instead of the other Big 12 South lower tier teams.

I meant based on talent...Conference records are not indictive of the conference on the upswing

nfrillman
05-01-2008, 07:04 PM
I meant based on talent...Conference records are not indictive of the conference on the upswing

Okay, well then that makes more sense then.

dpl85
05-01-2008, 07:43 PM
The south almost always comes down to the winner of Texas OU. The winner of that game usually seems to win the division. I expect OU to win it ths year but Texas could pull an upset if the young guys play well early. The north will probably come down to Missouri and Kansas again and I'd guess Mizzou wins it. OU probably beats Mizzou in the championship game.

holt_bruce81
05-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Mizzou has a tough test the 1st game of the season, but their schedule statistically is easier than last season. With pretty much everyone coming back on Offense and Defense.

They avoid Oklahoma in the regular season.

adschofield
05-01-2008, 07:52 PM
I find it funny that the Big 12 has created a playoff of sorts...Winner of MU vs. KU plays winner of UT-OU...and all the games are played on neutral fields...interesting

kmartin575
05-05-2008, 12:23 AM

And Texas Tech and South Florida.

Gchu83
05-05-2008, 01:55 PM
I just don't see Texas winning the conference...they have to play @ Kansas, vs. Oklahoma, and vs. Missouri. They have as much talent as anyone, but if they couldn't win it last year, they certainly won't win this year.

Have to disagree. UT pretty much had their worst season under Mack and all they did was go pick up one of the best young DC's in Muschamp. Colt can't play any worse that he did last season and the o-line should be more consistent. But I think the defense is where you'll see the most improvement.

Also, not to knock on Kansas, but their schedule last season wasn't exactly top-notch. When you're able to go through the Big 12 w/o having to play UT, OU, and even Tech, it's not exactly all that hard.

adschofield
05-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Have to disagree. UT pretty much had their worst season under Mack and all they did was go pick up one of the best young DC's in Muschamp. Colt can't play any worse that he did last season and the o-line should be more consistent. But I think the defense is where you'll see the most improvement.

Also, not to knock on Kansas, but their schedule last season wasn't exactly top-notch. When you're able to go through the Big 12 w/o having to play UT, OU, and even Tech, it's not exactly all that hard.

So how again will our schedule last year affect our talent this year?

Gchu83
05-05-2008, 05:09 PM
So how again will our schedule last year affect our talent this year?

I don't know how to put this w/o soundling like I'm bashing KU because I was definitely rooting for y'all during both championship games.

But while it doesn't affect the talent, an easy schedule can make a team look a lot better than they actually might be. Like I said, not trying to bash but it'll be interesting when KU has to take on the Top 3 teams (usually) in the South.

adschofield
05-05-2008, 06:58 PM
I don't know how to put this w/o soundling like I'm bashing KU because I was definitely rooting for y'all during both championship games.

But while it doesn't affect the talent, an easy schedule can make a team look a lot better than they actually might be. Like I said, not trying to bash but it'll be interesting when KU has to take on the Top 3 teams (usually) in the South.

No offense taken, but does everyone forgot that we beat Virginia Tech? They were the #3 team in the nation...

DragonFireKai
05-05-2008, 07:03 PM
No offense taken, but does everyone forgot that we beat Virginia Tech? They were the #3 team in the nation...

And Hawaii was undefeated at one point too. The ACC was pretty much an extra Mid Major conference last season.

kmartin575
05-05-2008, 11:41 PM

Teams like Boston College, South Florida, Missouri, etc. all were ranked as high or higher than #3 last year. Being the #3 team means nothing. Virginia Tech had no offense.

Brent
05-06-2008, 11:09 PM
So, I found out today from a football player that Jerrod Johnson was better than McGee in almost every practice and the coaches thought he was as good or better than McGee in the spring game... I wonder if they will give the job to Johnson or make it McGee's to lose. I hope that Johnson takes the job, he's a beast of an athlete and has a hell of an arm. Much better than McGee's, I think.

adschofield
05-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Teams like Boston College, South Florida, Missouri, etc. all were ranked as high or higher than #3 last year. Being the #3 team means nothing. Virginia Tech had no offense.

Being the #3 team in the nation means nothing? Are you kidding me? Stop being a homer, we beat one of the best teams in the country

holt_bruce81
05-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Being the #3 team in the nation means nothing? Are you kidding me? Stop being a homer, we beat one of the best teams in the country

Eh, Virginia Tech was a solid win, but their no where close to being one of the best teams in the country.

adschofield
05-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Eh, Virginia Tech was a solid win, but their no where close to being one of the best teams in the country.

Then who exactly was? Just Ohio State and LSU?

nfrillman
05-10-2008, 12:02 AM

M-I-Z...Z-O-U!!!!!!! Sorry, but you asked.

I think there were probably about 8 teams last year that were comparable though. A playoff last season would have been amazing because it would force teams to prove their worth by beating more than just one team that they may just match up very well against, or their opponent matching up poorly to them. My example of this is the Oklahoma-West Virginia game. Oklahoma was all power and WVU was all speed, WVU's speed won out. But I also feel that WVU proved to be the worst possible matchup for OU because if OU was playing a team that was a little more power and a little less speed, but still good like LSU or OSU for example, I think OU would have had a much better chance than against WVU, simply because of matchups. On the other hand, WVU probably would not have faired as well against a team that was more equal in power and speed. Not that they would have lost because we can't know, but it would have been a less favorable matchup because their speed wouldn't be as big a factor.

So, in conclusion...........M-I-Z...Z-O-U!!!!!

Brent
05-13-2008, 08:34 PM
My example of this is the Oklahoma-West Virginia game. Oklahoma was all power and WVU was all speed, WVU's speed won out. But I also feel that WVU proved to be the worst possible matchup for OU because if OU was playing a team that was a little more power and a little less speed, but still good like LSU or OSU for example, I think OU would have had a much better chance than against WVU, simply because of matchups. On the other hand, WVU probably would not have faired as well against a team that was more equal in power and speed. Not that they would have lost because we can't know, but it would have been a less favorable matchup because their speed wouldn't be as big a factor.
You're just bitter OU destroyed Mizzou in the championship

DragonFireKai
05-13-2008, 08:49 PM

Let's see, USC, OSU, UGA, LSU, WVU, Mizzou, Kansas, OU, and Texas, were all clearly better teams. I'd argue for several other teams too. VT was a second tier team in a second tier conference.

nfrillman
05-13-2008, 09:57 PM
You're just bitter OU destroyed Mizzou in the championship

Ummm, not really. If you don't understand that certain teams match up better and certain teams match up worse then you haven't been watching sports very long. What about that post didn't make sense. Would Oklahoma not be better suited to face a team with less speed and more power than WVU? Would WVU not be worse suited to face a team with more speed and less power than OU? It's pretty basic, OU would still be stronger than another team and the speed difference would not be as significant, while WVU would still probably be less stout than a different team and WVU's speed edge wouldn't be as big............meaning it's a worse matchup. It's no knock on WVU, it's just an example of how match ups can effect teams and games. Not everyone's statements come from an argumentative or homeristic standpoint, good and bad match ups are just part of the game.

Brent
05-14-2008, 09:09 PM
Ummm, not really. If you don't understand that certain teams match up better and certain teams match up worse then you haven't been watching sports very long. What about that post didn't make sense.
It was a joke. Relax.

nfrillman
05-15-2008, 02:56 AM
It was a joke. Relax.

Oh, well touche' then sir. I guess I was in an argumentative mood, and boy did I argue.

Brent
05-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Oh, well touche' then sir. I guess I was in an argumentative mood, and boy did I argue.
It's okay, two of my closest friends are Mizzou students and argue about them all the time.

LonghornsLegend
05-23-2008, 03:09 PM
I certainly don't have us winning the conference this year, but you can't count us out completely, because we have the talent to do it...I just don't have faith in McCoy, if he takes that leap as a leader and in progression he could lead u to a big XII title, but he is so u and down...One game he looks like a stud, then the next week vs an inferior team he will get hit hard in the 1st qt and play scared from then on.

I have us beating Kansas, but losing to Missori, don't think Kansas has enough to beat us, and I highly doubt we lose to A&M again, that series is usually pretty back and forth, I'm sure they want to beat us again no problem with that, I just doubt it happens again in Colts junior year.

Gchu83
05-23-2008, 04:05 PM
I certainly don't have us winning the conference this year, but you can't count us out completely, because we have the talent to do it...I just don't have faith in McCoy, if he takes that leap as a leader and in progression he could lead u to a big XII title, but he is so u and down...One game he looks like a stud, then the next week vs an inferior team he will get hit hard in the 1st qt and play scared from then on.

I have us beating Kansas, but losing to Missori, don't think Kansas has enough to beat us, and I highly doubt we lose to A&M again, that series is usually pretty back and forth, I'm sure they want to beat us again no problem with that, I just doubt it happens again in Colts junior year.

Colt can't possibly play any worse than he did last season and I think the 2 things that really hurt Colt last season was an inconsistent OL and trying to do too much. I think the OL will be better this season and hopefully Colt will settle down and play more under control.

But I think the defense is where we'll see the most improvement. A 110th ranked pass defense is unexcusable and I think Muschamp will do like Chizik did his first season here and put together a sick D.

cdub11
05-29-2008, 09:18 AM
i think ou is the front runner in the south division, but i dont think texas is far behind, having missouri and texas a&m @ home helps

tigerz2350
05-30-2008, 03:27 PM
this is a reply to adschofield from the other thread that got locked... I never compared Missouri's in-state talent to Texas or Florida, but it is by far better than any other state in the big XII with the exception of Texas and maybe Oklahoma. Just as a side note, we did sign 7 of the top 10 players in the state last year. As for this year, Nathan is not #1 in the state... he is #3. We already have #2 commited (top 100 DT Sheldon Richardson) and have a very good shot at getting #1 Ronnie Wingo.

adschofield
05-30-2008, 03:45 PM
this is a reply to adschofield from the other thread that got locked... I never compared Missouri's in-state talent to Texas or Florida, but it is by far better than any other state in the big XII with the exception of Texas and maybe Oklahoma. Just as a side note, we did sign 7 of the top 10 players in the state last year. As for this year, Nathan is not #1 in the state... he is #3. We already have #2 commited (top 100 DT Sheldon Richardson) and have a very good shot at getting #1 Ronnie Wingo.

I have seen both Ronnie Wingo and Nate Scheelhasse play, and I can say that Scheelhasse is easily the better of the two. Then again I'm a Rockhurst homer :D

But Scheelhasse will be #1 before it's all over.

adschofield
05-30-2008, 03:46 PM
I really want to beat Texas this year since the zebras basically gave them the game in Lawrence a couple years back.

kmartin575
05-30-2008, 05:24 PM
I have seen both Ronnie Wingo and Nate Scheelhasse play, and I can say that Scheelhasse is easily the better of the two. Then again I'm a Rockhurst homer :D

But Scheelhasse will be #1 before it's all over.

Another comment in response to your post in the other thread stating most of the in-state talent in Missouri will go to bigger schools. Oh really? Then why did 7 of the top 10 ranked players in the state of Missouri for 2008 commit to Missouri? Sure sounds like you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

And yes, Kansas does lose most of their in state recruits. Rivals.com's 2008 top 15 players for Kansas includes only 4 who have committed to Kansas.

tigerz2350
05-30-2008, 06:30 PM
It really is hard to tell who is better because they play completely different positions, but Wingo and Richardson will both be rated higher than Nathan. I think Nathan will make a good saftey at Oklahoma.

adschofield
05-31-2008, 12:02 AM
Another comment in response to your post in the other thread stating most of the in-state talent in Missouri will go to bigger schools. Oh really? Then why did 7 of the top 10 ranked players in the state of Missouri for 2008 commit to Missouri? Sure sounds like you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

And yes, Kansas does lose most of their in state recruits. Rivals.com's 2008 top 15 players for Kansas includes only 4 who have committed to Kansas.

You missed my point...I meant that if big time players will usually spurn their home schools and go to the big time programs...Missouri hasn't really had a case of this because it hasn't had a player as hyped/talented as the Brown brothers

adschofield
05-31-2008, 12:04 AM
It really is hard to tell who is better because they play completely different positions, but Wingo and Richardson will both be rated higher than Nathan. I think Nathan will make a good saftey at Oklahoma.

Safety? He's made it clear to the media outlets that he wants to play QB, and I've heard him personally say he wants to play QB. The only school on his list that still considers him a ATH is OU (who might change on that position later when they finish breaking down the film). Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Stanford, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Nebraska are all considering him a QB. For the record, Nate's top 4 is OU, KU, Iowa, and Nebraska.

Have you seen him play? Nate has a huge arm...you might want to look him up on youtube.

kmartin575
05-31-2008, 01:58 AM
You missed my point...I meant that if big time players will usually spurn their home schools and go to the big time programs...Missouri hasn't really had a case of this because it hasn't had a player as hyped/talented as the Brown brothers

Rivals.com has Blaine Gabbert as the #1 ranked pro style quarterback. Tony Temple also spurned bigger schools to stay in state and go to Missouri.

srv fan
05-31-2008, 06:20 AM
From a Big 10 fan perspective-

OU has pretty redonkulous talent all over the field. Their OL is seriously nasty, they have good RBs, a QB who won't mess up a game, and a lockdown defense. For all the glitz of skill positions, football usually comes down to who wins the trenches, and I'm not quite sure who in the Big 12 is going to beat OU in that regard. I expect Mizzou, Kansas, and Texas to be pretty good, but matchup-wise, do other teams have the beef to stop OU from pounding their way to a BCS bowl?

adschofield
05-31-2008, 10:54 AM
Rivals.com has Blaine Gabbert as the #1 ranked pro style quarterback. Tony Temple also spurned bigger schools to stay in state and go to Missouri.

Ehh...Realisitically, Tony Temple's only option was to go to Missouri (I know the situation pretty well, it was pretty messed up the way he was treated). And neither Gabbert nor Temple are/were on the level of the Brown brothers

tigerz2350
05-31-2008, 07:33 PM
Gabbert not not on the same level as the Brown brothers? Number 1 throwing quarterback in the country, #14 player overall? I have seen Nathan play many times... he is a great athlete, decent quarterback. Wherever he ends up (Oklahoma) he will eventually move to saftey. Where did you see his top 4 by the way?

adschofield
05-31-2008, 07:38 PM
Gabbert not not on the same level as the Brown brothers? Number 1 throwing quarterback in the country, #14 player overall? I have seen Nathan play many times... he is a great athlete, decent quarterback. Wherever he ends up (Oklahoma) he will eventually move to saftey. Where did you see his top 4 by the way?

Rivals..But I'm telling you, he wants to play QB...For some reason, you sound like a Blue Springs fan :D

BTW, Rivals considers him a QB

tigerz2350
05-31-2008, 11:14 PM
I've read every article of his on Rivals... no where does he mention a top4, not that it matters because we all know he is going to be a boomer sooner. Don't get me wrong, he is a good quarterback and a great athlete, I just think he will be faced with a decision between a backup role or switching to saftey and he will move to saftey.

adschofield
06-01-2008, 01:10 AM
I've read every article of his on Rivals... no where does he mention a top4, not that it matters because we all know he is going to be a boomer sooner. Don't get me wrong, he is a good quarterback and a great athlete, I just think he will be faced with a decision between a backup role or switching to saftey and he will move to saftey.

I think it's a bit early to say that he's a Sooner...I've talked to him personally and he's extremely wide open about his choices, and giving everyone a crack at it. I can tell you this, he wants to play QB, and if he does not think he has an oppotunity to play QB at OU, I don't think he'll go there. Also, remember his dad played at Iowa and Kansas is the local school, so I'd give both those schools a fair crack.

Brent
06-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Their OL is seriously nasty, they have good RBs, a QB who won't mess up a game, and a lockdown defense. For all the glitz of skill positions, football usually comes down to who wins the trenches, and I'm not quite sure who in the Big 12 is going to beat OU in that regard.
No one. OU is so stacked it's depressing.

kmartin575
06-01-2008, 10:31 PM
No one. OU is so stacked it's depressing.

Doesn't mean it can't happen. Colorado and Texas Tech come to mind. But yes, I wouldn't bet against them.

Im_a_Romosexual
06-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Oklahoma will lose at least 1 conference game. To who IDK, but it still should/might be enough to be Big 12 champs and lose in the BCS game, as usual.

nrk
06-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Oklahoma will lose at least 1 conference game. To who IDK, but it still should/might be enough to be Big 12 champs and lose in the BCS game, as usual.

If Oklahoma is gonna drop a game, I think it's gonna be an early road game. Stoops just doesn't seem to get them ready for road games.

Brent
06-03-2008, 06:58 PM
If Oklahoma is gonna drop a game, I think it's gonna be an early road game.
vs. Chattanooga
vs. Cincinnati
at Washington
vs. TCU
at Baylor
vs. Texas
vs. Kansas
at Kansas State
vs. Nebraska
at Texas A&M
vs. Texas Tech
at Oklahoma State

I think OU has a chance to go undefeated.

tigerz2350
06-03-2008, 07:53 PM
I think Oklahoma SHOULD and WILL go undefeated... the game in Arrowhead will determine if they go to the championship game

nfrillman
06-04-2008, 05:50 PM
I think Oklahoma SHOULD and WILL go undefeated... the game in Arrowhead will determine if they go to the championship game

Yeah, the only games on their schedule that I see as possible stumbling blocks are Texas, Texas Tech, and Texas A&M.

Brent
06-06-2008, 11:10 AM
and Texas A&M.
It's hard for me to not be optimistic about this season but I am doing my best not to be. Though Fran is gone which is automatically an improvement. Here's to hoping that Jerrod wins the starting QB job. Yeah, I said it. McGee is crap, he has had little coaching (technique and etc) since he got here thanks to Fran.

LonghornsLegend
06-06-2008, 12:18 PM
OU won't go undefeated, they will lose at least 1 game in there, they have had better teams in the past years and stumbled along the way, they will lose to somebody they have no business losing to and that they are better then, but I still doubt they run the table...We could be looking at them in the NC with 1 loss though, their O line is simply dominant...If Murray is fully recovered it could get nasty.

holt_bruce81
06-10-2008, 02:40 AM
Yeah, the only games on their schedule that I see as possible stumbling blocks are Texas, Texas Tech, and Texas A&M.

Illinois could be tough.

tigerz2350
06-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Illinois could be tough. He was referring to Colorado. As long as Juice Williams is at QuarterBack I am not worried about Illanoy at all.

nfrillman
06-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Illinois could be tough.

That post was actually about Oklahoma. I don't think we play Tech or A&M this year, barring Missouri and Tech making the Big 12 Championship.

Brent
06-11-2008, 10:43 AM
That post was actually about Oklahoma. I don't think we play Tech or A&M this year, barring Missouri and Tech making the Big 12 Championship.
You dont play us or Tech. The only South teams that you face are OK St, Texas and Baylor. Talk about an easy schedule...

kmartin575
06-11-2008, 03:38 PM
You dont play us or Tech. The only South teams that you face are OK St, Texas and Baylor. Talk about an easy schedule...

And we deserve it after having to watch Kansas coast through a cupcake schedule last year.

Brent
06-14-2008, 08:56 PM
And we deserve it after having to watch Kansas coast through a cupcake schedule last year.
that's hardly a reason

nrk
06-15-2008, 01:11 PM
vs. Chattanooga
vs. Cincinnati
at Washington
vs. TCU
at Baylor
vs. Texas
vs. Kansas
at Kansas State
vs. Nebraska
at Texas A&M
vs. Texas Tech
at Oklahoma State

I think OU has a chance to go undefeated.

No one expected OU to lose to Colorado. I don't think it will happen, but I can see Washington with an upset. It's just if they show up to play. I'm worried about Tech though. I miss you Mr Leach :(

tigerz2350
06-17-2008, 06:04 AM
You dont play us or Tech. The only South teams that you face are OK St, Texas and Baylor. Talk about an easy schedule... It's how the schedules are set up in the big 12... at least we play Texas and out of conference Illinois. And it's not like A&M and Tech are powerhouses.

SuperKevin
06-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Do you all think Missouri will redshirt Blaine Gabbert this year or keep him active to use in garbage time to ease the transition post-Chase Daniel era?

nfrillman
06-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Do you all think Missouri will redshirt Blaine Gabbert this year or keep him active to use in garbage time to ease the transition post-Chase Daniel era?

I think they will probably treat Gabbert the same way they did Daniel. Daniel got a good amount of play in garbage time backing up Brad Smith his senior year. Gabbert will probably do the same with Daniel. I looked at their roster and I didn't recognize any of the other QB's on the roster besides Chase Patton (senior). That leads me to believe Gabbert will take over the starting spot in 2009 as a sophomore. Then again, if they feel he can pick up the offense enough just through practice it would make sense to redshirt him since Patton is a very capable back up with lots of experience with the offense.

adschofield
06-21-2008, 01:12 AM
Kansas now has 4 commits in Rivals Top 100 Texas player rankings, which is more than any other school outside of the Texas schools and Oklahoma and more than Missouri...Man, I wish we had a bowl game in Texas to help out our recruiting...

tigerz2350
06-21-2008, 07:15 AM
Kansas now has 4 commits in Rivals Top 100 Texas player rankings, which is more than any other school outside of the Texas schools and Oklahoma and more than Missouri...Man, I wish we had a bowl game in Texas to help out our recruiting... And still can't get the best players in their own state... I'm pretty sure they don't have a Texas top 100 yet BTW.

kmartin575
06-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Kansas now has 4 commits in Rivals Top 100 Texas player rankings, which is more than any other school outside of the Texas schools and Oklahoma and more than Missouri...Man, I wish we had a bowl game in Texas to help out our recruiting...

Missouri doesn't need to dip into the Texas recruits with us being able to keep our own instate recruits, something the Jayhawks obviously can't do. One of the latest headlines on Rivals is of a star linebacker from Kansas committing to Oklahoma. Missouri has 10 in-state recruits, Kansas has 1. Sucks to realize nobody wants to stay around in the awful state of Kansas.

adschofield
06-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Missouri doesn't need to dip into the Texas recruits with us being able to keep our own instate recruits, something the Jayhawks obviously can't do. One of the latest headlines on Rivals is of a star linebacker from Kansas committing to Oklahoma. Missouri has 10 in-state recruits, Kansas has 1. Sucks to realize nobody wants to stay around in the awful state of Kansas.

Well...

a. You're missing my point...Previously, the MU fans stated that playing in the Cotton Bowl would help their recruiting more than Kansas playing in the Orange Bowl

b. Pinkel is a better recruiter than Mangino, I'm not going to argue that...But Missouri hasn't gone head to head with schools like Miami (FL) and Oklahoma in a battle for their in-state recruits

adschofield
06-21-2008, 02:41 PM
And still can't get the best players in their own state... I'm pretty sure they don't have a Texas top 100 yet BTW.

Then what would this be....

http://texas.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1900

Brent
06-23-2008, 05:49 PM
I am looking at what you guys are saying about recruiting and I have to say, Rivals rankings aren't absolutes. One of the horns' best players, Rashad Bobino, was a Rivals 2 star. Lokey was 3, too. It really just comes down to staff evaluations and player development. Even if you look at all the 4 stars Fran signed, you will see only a couple- Martellus and Goodson, really performed.

Luckily, Sherman and co. inherited much better talent than what Fran had to start with. That coupled with a manageable schedule should give us a chance to have a good season. I know that our X factor will be how the O-Line performs and how fast they develop. OU had a similar situation last season, and their young line came through for them. If we are lucky, we'll do the same.

Brent
07-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Texas' streak of seven straight seasons with at least 10 wins will end.
The Longhorns don't lack talent, but they drew a killer Big 12 schedule: three 2007 bowl teams from the North division (Colorado, Missouri and Kansas), and they'll play two of those teams on the road. And in addition to facing Oklahoma at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, they must face trendy breakout pick Texas Tech in Lubbock. Burnt orange fans are encouraged to beat the rush and start criticizing offensive coordinator Greg Davis now.
I am curious to see if that holds true or not.

holt_bruce81
07-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Anywhere heard of Brian Coulter? He just committed to Missouri, use to be a 5-star DE back in HS but spent 2 years in JC and 2 years out of football(I think) There's supposed to be a good article on him on Rivals but I'm not a member.

https://secure.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=missouri%2Erivals%2Ec om&sid=898&script=content.asp&cid=827674&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

holt_bruce81
07-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Oh yea, I also heard Ronnie Wingo is likely to commit to Mizzou.

nfrillman
07-17-2008, 11:53 PM
Anywhere heard of Brian Coulter? He just committed to Missouri, use to be a 5-star DE back in HS but spent 2 years in JC and 2 years out of football(I think) There's supposed to be a good article on him on Rivals but I'm not a member.

https://secure.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=missouri%2Erivals%2Ec om&sid=898&script=content.asp&cid=827674&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

Scout has some information about him, but it all seems to be old. It is still talking about him and FSU.

Brent
08-06-2008, 04:31 PM
This is a little old but in case you didnt see it:

2008 Preseason All-Big 12 Football Team (Media Vote)

Offensive Player of the Year: Chase Daniel, Missouri (QB, 6-0, 225, Sr/3L, Southlake, Texas)
Defensive Player of the Year: Auston English, Oklahoma (DE, 6-3, 257, Jr/1L, Canadian, Texas)
Newcomer of the Year: Darrell Scott, Colorado (TB, 6-2, 215, Fr/HS, Ventura, Calif.)

Offense
Pos; Name; School; Ht.; Wt.; Cl./Exp.; Hometown

WR; Michael Crabtree; Texas Tech; 6-3; 206; So./1L; Dallas
TE; Chase Coffman; Missouri; 6-6; 245; Sr./3L; Peculiar, Mo.
OL; Duke Robinson; Oklahoma; 6-5; 330; Sr./3L; Atlanta, Ga.
OL; Phil Loadholt; Oklahoma; 6-8; 350; Sr./1L; Fountain, Colo.
C; Jon Cooper; Oklahoma; 6-2; 285; Sr./3L; Fort Collins, Colo.
OL; Louis Vasquez; Texas Tech; 6-6; 335; Sr./3L; Corsicana, Texas
OL; Colin Brown; Missouri; 6-8; 325; Sr./3L; Braymer, Mo.
OL; Cedric Dockery; Texas; 6-4; 315; Sr./3L; Garland, Texas
WR; Jeremy Maclin; Missouri; 6-1; 200; So./1L; Kirkwood, Mo.
QB; Chase Daniel; Missouri; 6-0; 225; Sr./3L; Southlake, Texas
RB; Marlon Lucky; Nebraska; 6-0; 215; Sr./3L; North Hollywood, Calif.
RB; DeMarco Murray; Oklahoma; 6-0; 191; So./1L; Las Vegas, Nev.
PK; Jeff Wolfert; Missouri; 6-2; 185; Sr./2L; Overland Park, Kan.
KR; Marcus Herford; Kansas; 6-3; 208; Sr./3L; DeSoto, Texas

Defense
Pos; Name; School; Ht.; Wt.; Cl./Exp.; Hometown

DL; Auston English; Oklahoma; 6-3; 257; Jr./1L; Canadian, Texas
DL; Ian Campbell; Kansas State; 6-5; 249; Sr./3L; Cimarron, Kan.
DL; George Hypolite; Colorado; 6-1; 285; Sr./3L; Los Angeles, Calif.
DL; Brian Orakpo; Texas; 6-4; 260; Sr./3L; Houston, Texas
LB; Sean Weatherspoon; Missouri; 6-1; 235; Jr./2L; Jasper, Texas
LB; Joe Mortenson; Kansas; 6-1; 250; Sr./3L; Concord, Calif.
LB; Joe Pawelek; Baylor; 6-3; 236; Jr./2L; San Antonio, Texas
DB; Nic Harris; Oklahoma; 6-3; 226; Sr./3L; Alexandria, La.
DB; William Moore; Missouri; 6-1; 230; Sr./3L; Hayti, Mo.
DB; Jamar Wall; Texas Tech; 5-10; 196; Jr./2L; Plainview, Texas
DB; Jordan Lake; Baylor; 6-2; 206; Jr./2L; Houston, Texas
P; Justin Brantly; Texas A&M; 6-3; 241; Sr./3L; Sealy, Texas
PR; Jeremy Maclin; Missouri; 6-1; 200; So./1L; Kirkwood, Mo.

An extra offensive lineman was honored due to ties in the voting.

LonghornsLegend
08-21-2008, 10:14 AM
I am curious to see if that holds true or not.

I am anxious for this year because people view it as a down year, but its crazy to think that teams like Kansas and Colorado are just going to get an easy victory...We could lose to OU, Missouri, and Tech no disputing, but either game could go the other way, and bringing in Will Muschamp is going to make a huge difference(most notably with Sergio Kindle)...As much as I really don't like Colt, he's not a freshman with no idea whats going on, and I would be really surprised to see us lose 3-4 Big XII games.

Then what would this be....

http://texas.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1900

I don't know, what is that? Did he committ to KU or did I miss something because I would be willing to make a bet with you he doesn't choose Kansas...As a matter of fact I didn't even see Kansas listed thats why I was curious why you posted it.

nfrillman
08-22-2008, 03:05 AM
I am anxious for this year because people view it as a down year, but its crazy to think that teams like Kansas and Colorado are just going to get an easy victory...We could lose to OU, Missouri, and Tech no disputing, but either game could go the other way, and bringing in Will Muschamp is going to make a huge difference(most notably with Sergio Kindle)...As much as I really don't like Colt, he's not a freshman with no idea whats going on, and I would be really surprised to see us lose 3-4 Big XII games.

Whoever is saying Texas weill be an easy victory for Kansas and Colorado are insane. I can almost understand some people thinking Kansas is the favorite at home against Texas because of their record last year. While I firmly believe that success was due in large part to the schedule, I can at least see the reasoning. Colorado being favored over Texas is ludacris to me though. Sure Colorado seems to be getting better, but they still have a ways to go. They were 6-7 last year and Texas was 10-3. I know you can't base this year purely on last year, but it's not like Colorado was knocking on the door of the BCS last year.

America
08-22-2008, 09:13 AM
A lot of people have already written off Texas as a big disappointment this year. The offense lost a lot of firepower but the offensive scheme this year is going to be a lot different, much less vanilla. http://www.texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=840638
Malcolm Williams, Fozzy Whittaker, Vondrell McGee, John Chiles, Blaine Irby are all going to have to step up, but it's not like the Horns haven't had to replace big time players before. The secondary can't get any worse from last year when they were ranked 100+. The defensive line has been reformed and the defensive end depth will enable Muschamp to bring all sorts of heat all day. Not saying that this is the greatest team ever or anything like that, but we were 10-3 last year with a really underachieving team. I would expect a similar record this year. As I write this, I saw this article on rivals.http://www.texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=840781

Brent
08-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Whoever is saying Texas weill be an easy victory for Kansas and Colorado are insane. I can almost understand some people thinking Kansas is the favorite at home against Texas because of their record last year. While I firmly believe that success was due in large part to the schedule, I can at least see the reasoning. Colorado being favored over Texas is ludacris to me though. Sure Colorado seems to be getting better, but they still have a ways to go. They were 6-7 last year and Texas was 10-3. I know you can't base this year purely on last year, but it's not like Colorado was knocking on the door of the BCS last year.
I think the reason people feel like Colorado might have a shot is due to the game being in Boulder. Honestly, with the loss of Dizon and Wheatley, I dont know how much better that defense could be.

America
08-22-2008, 06:38 PM
I think the reason people feel like Colorado might have a shot is due to the game being in Boulder. Honestly, with the loss of Dizon and Wheatley, I dont know how much better that defense could be.

Their d line is still good. George Hypolite is one of the best interior lineman in the Big 12 in my opinion, or at least in the North. Seniors Maurice Lucas (DE) and Brandon Nicolas (DT) are solid too. If Colorado can make the game one dimensional and put all the pressure on our passing game, then we could be in trouble, and since we're away there will be that factor as well, but I think it's overrated. Patrick Williams, Josh Smith and Scotty McKnight are all solid receivers, but none are so good that I wouldn't trust our corners to keep them from breaking the game open. I'm not overly impressed with Colorado's line and I think the pressure will be too much for Cody Hawkins.

BufFan71
08-22-2008, 07:41 PM

well people are high on CU because we started freshmen at:
QB, RT, RG?, LG, and both Wrs.
a sophmore at TE.

i cannot wait to see Josh Smith this year. He can FLY at wr. hopefully we'll get to see more deep balls thrown to him

and because Wheatley was injured young players got playing time.
George Hypolite and Brandon Nicholes are very good DTS.
im very confident players like Ryan Walters, Darrell Scott, Patrick Williams, Brad Jones, and ect are going to step up.
The players believe in coach Hawkins, and what hes trying to accomplish.

though i dont think CU will ever be a top 10'ish team under Hawkins because his offense is to much of a "gimmick' offense

nrk
08-24-2008, 07:04 PM
I saw Lee Corso predict Mizzou as Big 12 Champs and National Champs. Bold pick.

nfrillman
08-24-2008, 09:35 PM
I saw Lee Corso predict Mizzou as Big 12 Champs and National Champs. Bold pick.

A truly wise man. Seriously though, if Missouri can get through their schedule with 1 loss and win the conference they will probably be in the NC game. USC or Ohio State will probably be the opponent, since it seems unlikely someone will get out of the SEC with 1 loss. Also, USC and OSU have the benefit of not really playing many tough teams besides each other. Exceptions to a couple teams from the Pac 10 and Big 10 that are pretty good. On the whole though, those two teams aren't going to have many tough opponents.

Brent
08-27-2008, 10:31 PM
GAMES START SATURDAY! Who got tickets? I got mine: middle of the second deck just under the 3rd, so I'll be in the shade.

nfrillman
08-27-2008, 11:37 PM
GAMES START SATURDAY! Who got tickets? I got mine: middle of the second deck just under the 3rd, so I'll be in the shade.

Me and my bro are going to the Missouri-Illinois game. Tickets are in the top circle but are at the 45 yard line, should be sweet.

Brent
08-28-2008, 06:10 AM
Me and my bro are going to the Missouri-Illinois game. Tickets are in the top circle but are at the 45 yard line, should be sweet.
That game is at the Edward Jones Dome, right?

nfrillman
08-28-2008, 06:17 PM
That game is at the Edward Jones Dome, right?

Yep, neutral site game.

nrk
08-29-2008, 02:23 AM

I love having season tickets ^_^.

Brent
08-29-2008, 04:08 PM
I love having season tickets ^_^.
Here, if you want season tickets it's so expensive but if you are a student you get a SportsPass and you pull tickets each week (Monday is seniors, Tuesday is Juniors, etc.) so you can actually get better seats every week for much cheaper ($199 for just football season). Last year I sat on the first deck, just under the awning made by the second deck, for every game I went to and those seats were awesome. I believe if you buy season tickets it's about $90 a game.

nrk
08-31-2008, 01:20 AM
I didn't get to catch but the last quarter or so of the Missouri/Illinois game, how was Missouri's secondary throughout the first of the game? Were they just tired at the end?

On another note, thunderstorms suck. It was either waiting forever crowded in the Oklahoma Memorial Stadium for the storm to let up or to walk in the ran. My stepbrother, and my ride, chose walking in the rain, it was ridiculous. On the drive to my brothers house, I saw water up to cars headlights on some streets. Still a great day though.

TCU
08-31-2008, 01:31 AM
Our defense looked pathetic today luckily FAU turned the ball over a lot, Colt McCoy was money tonight perfect passer rating and 100 on the ground.

Brent
09-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Our defense looked pathetic today luckily FAU turned the ball over a lot, Colt McCoy was money tonight perfect passer rating and 100 on the ground.
I thought you went to TCU?

rockio42
09-02-2008, 09:41 AM
I didn't get to catch but the last quarter or so of the Missouri/Illinois game, how was Missouri's secondary throughout the first of the game? Were they just tired at the end?

At the beginning of the game our secondary was putting on a clinic against Juice Williams, unfortunetly by the second half, Juice has significantly turned it around and was torching our defensive backfield. I want to think that they got winded and it wasn't that the first half was a fluke.

kmartin575
09-02-2008, 05:04 PM
At the beginning of the game our secondary was putting on a clinic against Juice Williams, unfortunetly by the second half, Juice has significantly turned it around and was torching our defensive backfield. I want to think that they got winded and it wasn't that the first half was a fluke.

It has nothing to do with their talent level and the first half wasn't a fluke. Gary Pinkel himself said their were alot of miscommunications in the secondary. He didn't seem very worried so I don't think we should be either.

rockio42
09-02-2008, 09:48 PM
It has nothing to do with their talent level and the first half wasn't a fluke. Gary Pinkel himself said their were alot of miscommunications in the secondary. He didn't seem very worried so I don't think we should be either.

I wasn't able to hear Gary Pinkel's after game comments, that good to hear

LonghornsLegend
09-03-2008, 12:50 AM
I got to see both OU and UT games this past week, as well as the OK State game on a FSN replay...OU looked very impressive as usual, their play makers are noticeably more explosive then the guys we would be counting on at UT...Manuel Johnson is very impressive, he makes plays all over the field, Murray is a threat to score any time he touches the ball, and while I think Bradford is a tad over hyped, the amount of protection he has each throw is massive and makes things easy for him...That line is incredible.

For UT I was most impressed by some of the changes I saw with Muschamp bringing his defense...Sergio Kindle was all over the place, and our front 7 is going to be the anchor of the team..Charles and Finley leaving early really hurt us offensively with two huge playmakers gone, Dan Bucker the true freshman wideout looks really good though...We are still a 10 win team, but we are also young, and Colt needs to progress, I'm not impressed by one game vs FAU, I'll wait to see how he shows up the first time he faces a D that gets some pressure and hits him in the mouth.

OK state is a damn talented team and will sneak up on some teams in the Big XII, Dez Bryant is a monster, far more versatile then Bowman and a serious playmaker, he is going to present a mis match for nearly every team they face in the conference...Already one of my favorite players in the conference.

holt_bruce81
09-03-2008, 02:24 AM
I got to see both OU and UT games this past week, as well as the OK State game on a FSN replay...OU looked very impressive as usual, their play makers are noticeably more explosive then the guys we would be counting on at UT...Manuel Johnson is very impressive, he makes plays all over the field, Murray is a threat to score any time he touches the ball, and while I think Bradford is a tad over hyped, the amount of protection he has each throw is massive and makes things easy for him...That line is incredible.

For UT I was most impressed by some of the changes I saw with Muschamp bringing his defense...Sergio Kindle was all over the place, and our front 7 is going to be the anchor of the team..Charles and Finley leaving early really hurt us offensively with two huge playmakers gone, Dan Bucker the true freshman wideout looks really good though...We are still a 10 win team, but we are also young, and Colt needs to progress, I'm not impressed by one game vs FAU, I'll wait to see how he shows up the first time he faces a D that gets some pressure and hits him in the mouth.

OK state is a damn talented team and will sneak up on some teams in the Big XII, Dez Bryant is a monster, far more versatile then Bowman and a serious playmaker, he is going to present a mis match for nearly every team they face in the conference...Already one of my favorite players in the conference.

That's a game I'm not looking past on Missouri's schedule.

cdub11
09-03-2008, 08:51 AM

Defensively Im really excited about Kindle & Norton, Offensively I really want to see Fozzy play this week although I did like what I saw from Von McGee, Chiles threw the ball well, the young receivers Malcolm Williams, Dan Buckner, James Kirkendoll look promising, and Blaine Irby looks like he can be a solid TE

nrk
09-03-2008, 01:01 PM

Manuel Johnson really impressed me too. He was fighting for the first down every play, but it was just against Chatanooga. Bradford threw an int which was offset by offsides. He threw it right to the defender, but the flag was down early. I hope he was just getting it out of there knowing that there was offsides because it was a terrible pass to the defender in the endzone. Chris Brown impressed me also.

Also, I didn't get to catch the UT game, how was Colt's passing in the game?

cdub11
09-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Manuel Johnson really impressed me too. He was fighting for the first down every play, but it was just against Chatanooga. Bradford threw an int which was offset by offsides. He threw it right to the defender, but the flag was down early. I hope he was just getting it out of there knowing that there was offsides because it was a terrible pass to the defender in the endzone. Chris Brown impressed me also.

Also, I didn't get to catch the UT game, how was Colt's passing in the game?

Colt looked pretty sharp, he was 24 for 29 222 yds 3 tds

LonghornsLegend
09-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Another thing I forgot to point out, was John Chiles being incorporated into the offense, thank goodness our prayers have been answered :D I think the coaching staff knows he is too much of a talent to waste on the bench, he had quite a few plays drawn up for him as a WR, one time he lined up wide right by himself and he was the first read for Colt...A few times he lined up as a QB and threw a perfect TD pass, we are lacking in playmakers and he could fill that void, I don't think we broke out all the tricks in the playbook but UT fans we can expect to see Chiles getting plenty snaps in the offense.

Colt's passing was very sharp, and it should be versus FAU, but Colt can make things happen, if he can cut down on his INT's last year we should be fine...Mcgee ran alot harder then I thought he could, but I'm still getting over the sting of not having Scott back there :( Bad idea getting your hopes up for a recruit, 2nd time I've been burned(the first being Perrilloux).

First glance OU looks more talented out there but thats to be expected, I still think OU gets tripped up at least once but I think twice, Bradford hardely sees any pressure, mark it down when they run across a team that puts together a scheme to get some pressure he won't look as pretty, thats our only chance to knock them off...Although same still goes for us, whenever Colt has gotten pressure in his face he has folded like a lawn chair, I'm waiting for the game on the road when the defense were facing is hitting Colt all game, and he rises to the occasion.

That's a game I'm not looking past on Missouri's schedule.

Me either, they are a dangerous team and will upset at least a few teams this year that over look them...I honestly think were going to beat Tech and maybe some of the other ranked teams but this might be the year that they stop blowing 2nd half leads against us, I'm pretty sure they have that date circled already.

BufFan71
09-03-2008, 06:15 PM
no love for CU
i know they played CSU but its a rivalry game

Cody Hawkins and Josh SMith looked good

adschofield
09-03-2008, 08:27 PM
KU pwns the bitches and ho's

kmartin575
09-04-2008, 01:35 AM
KU pwns the bitches and ho's

KU pwns the cupcake bitches and ho's.

Just felt I should fix your typo.

Let's see how much KU pwn's the bitches and ho's in South Florida. Or against Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, or Missouri. I don't see KU doing much pwning once the real season starts.

adschofield
09-04-2008, 08:39 PM
KU pwns the cupcake bitches and ho's.

Just felt I should fix your typo.

Let's see how much KU pwn's the bitches and ho's in South Florida. Or against Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, or Missouri. I don't see KU doing much pwning once the real season starts.

Nice to see some good ole originality

cdub11
09-05-2008, 10:15 AM
cody looked ok. sumler is fantastic... i'd really like to see him and scott going about 70/30 on carries this season... in either case, they're both *massive* upgrades over hugh charles.

don't complain about no love... we got no love in 2001-2002 either.

whatever, it'll be more fun when we beat texas.

that is a game that worries me a little bit, colorado is headed in the right direction

BufFan71
09-06-2008, 10:28 PM
cody looked ok. sumler is fantastic... i'd really like to see him and scott going about 70/30 on carries this season... in either case, they're both *massive* upgrades over hugh charles.

don't complain about no love... we got no love in 2001-2002 either.

whatever, it'll be more fun when we beat texas.

today gave me a scare, losing the whole entire game to a d-1aa school until the 4th quarter got me nervous. As much as i like scott, i dont think hes ready yet to be the star he SHOULD become....

i love dan hawkins. i think we end this season at 3 or 4 losses (i'd have to look back at our schedule), but i think we get really dangerous next year. the recruiting classes combined with finally having a real coach is huge.

i hope cody cuts down on the interceptions (threw 17last year) and threw one today for a pick6.

NJX9, what do u think of Josh SMith? Hes a very good return man so far in the season, and had like 500yds last year

SuperKevin
09-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Sean Weatherspoon Is making a strong case for the Butkus award. 3 INTs and 2 TDs in the 1st 2 games

Brent
09-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Jerrod looked good yesterday and if he doesn't start against UMiami, it's official that Shermanator is just as bad as Fran... Now if only we had a defense.

cdub11
09-07-2008, 11:48 AM
i really liked seeing fozzy whittaker get some carries, he looks the most explosive of the texas rb's

rockio42
09-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Oh yea, I also heard Ronnie Wingo is likely to commit to Mizzou.

Ronnie Wingo is a beast, cept I don't like him...can't stand SLUH

adschofield
09-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Ronnie Wingo is a beast, cept I don't like him...can't stand SLUH

SLUH blows...The Rock is where it's at when considering the badass Jesuit schools

eazyb81
09-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Sean Weatherspoon Is making a strong case for the Butkus award. 3 INTs and 2 TDs in the 1st 2 games

Yep, dude is nasty. I hope he doesn't leave after this season.

rockio42
09-09-2008, 02:01 PM
SLUH blows...The Rock is where it's at when considering the badass Jesuit schools

Rockhurst blows too, if I have to pick a Jesuit school I'd go with DeSmet or SLUH any day over rockhurst

eazyb81
09-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Rockhurst blows too, if I have to pick a Jesuit school I'd go with DeSmet or SLUH any day over rockhurst

Rockhurst has the best football program, but I'd say that SLUH is the best academic high school in the state in terms of college admissions. Seems like a dumb argument though, they're both great schools.

adschofield
09-09-2008, 08:45 PM

Talk to our 6 state titles last year

rockio42
09-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Talk to our 6 state titles last year

and that why I cna't stand Rockhurst

I guess I can always have the 2007 lacrosse state championship

T-RICH49
09-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Yep, dude is nasty. I hope he doesn't leave after this season.

at this rate I'd be shocked if he does'nt leave

cdub11
09-11-2008, 11:55 AM
the texas vs. arkansas game has been canceled and moved to the 27th due to another hurricane

Brent
09-11-2008, 08:19 PM
sucks for you guys, luckily we dont have a game this weekend.

adschofield
09-11-2008, 10:00 PM
This is going to be epic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9C64lgLdE8

jnew76
09-13-2008, 03:04 PM
This is going to be epic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9C64lgLdE8

Yes it will be... I was at the game last year and just got my tickets for this year. I can't wait, just hope it is not as cold. And I wish that KU was as good as they were last year.

bspen4
09-13-2008, 08:14 PM
K-State is going to be a good team this year. It's up to their defense on how good they can be

kmartin575
09-13-2008, 09:08 PM
K-State is going to be a good team this year. It's up to their defense on how good they can be

Their success this season is going to be limited by playing Oklahoma, @ Missouri, @ Kansas, Texas Tech, and @ Colorado. They are still likely no better than the 5th or 6th best team in the conference.

nrk
09-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Bob Stoops had his 100th win yesterday, making Oklahoma the first program with 4 head coaches with 100 wins.

adschofield
09-14-2008, 01:42 PM
fwiw, few things made me happier than seeing kansas lose yesterday. now if only missouri would follow suit. guess it's hard to do when you play nevada and southeast missouri state in consecutive weeks. maybe buffalo next week? :rolleyes:

C'mon..The Big 12 North must unite to defeat the barbarians to our south

Brent
09-14-2008, 06:01 PM
seeing kansas lose yesterday
I also enjoyed that.

I am quite excited about this coming game against Miami, unless McGee gets the start, in which case I expect us to be blown away. At least Jerrod would give us a small chance.

bspen4
09-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Their success this season is going to be limited by playing Oklahoma, @ Missouri, @ Kansas, Texas Tech, and @ Colorado. They are still likely no better than the 5th or 6th best team in the conference.

I think they beat KU and Colorado. Have a chance against Tech and well have no shot against OU and Missouri

adschofield
09-14-2008, 08:40 PM
I think they beat KU and Colorado. Have a chance against Tech and well have no shot against OU and Missouri

Beat KU? LOL...Kansas State Junior College is horrible this year

kmartin575
09-15-2008, 01:20 AM
Beat KU? LOL...Kansas State Junior College is horrible this year

Horrible based on what? They have been beating up on the cupcakes they have been playing. Obviously that doesn't mean crap but in no way have they been horrible.

jnew76
09-15-2008, 03:31 AM
I think KSU has a chance to go 2-3 in that stretch... Freeman is a really good QB that gets overlooked in the Big XII because of all the other great QBs... I mean Daniel, Bradford, Reesing, McCoy, Harrell, Robinson, and even Robert Griffin at Baylor get more press, but I think Freeman potentially has a future in the NFL. I think he has the best pure arm in the Big XII.

rockio42
09-15-2008, 08:17 AM
fwiw, few things made me happier than seeing kansas lose yesterday.

hellz to the ya

adschofield
09-16-2008, 12:44 AM
Horrible based on what? They have been beating up on the cupcakes they have been playing. Obviously that doesn't mean crap but in no way have they been horrible.

Have they been playing horribly? No.

Are they one of the worse teams in the conference? Yes.

If you couldn't beat us in Manhattan, you're sure as hell not going to beat us in Lawrence considering we have a better team this year, and you have a worse team.

Turtlepower
09-16-2008, 12:46 AM
Dan Hawkins is by far my favorite coach in the Big XII. I'm not sure if there is any other coach I would want to play for as much as Hawkins.

adschofield
09-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Dan Hawkins is by far my favorite coach in the Big XII. I'm not sure if there is any other coach I would want to play for as much as Hawkins.

Harbaugh>>>>>>>All

cdub11
09-16-2008, 08:27 AM

Hawkins is awesome

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/gfx/hawkins-dan-cp_200.jpg

"You've got two weeks after finals, you've got a week of July Fourth and you get a week before camp starts,That's a month, that's probably more vacation then you get. And we're a little bummed out that we don't get three weeks?
Go play intramurals, brother … go play intramurals"

kmartin575
09-16-2008, 01:28 PM

If you couldn't beat us in Manhattan, you're sure as hell not going to beat us in Lawrence considering we have a better team this year, and you have a worse team.

Again, what does last years team have to do with this year's team? If you based the current years team on the previous year then last year Kansas would have been a ****** team that couldn't even beat Toledo.

bspen4
09-17-2008, 08:27 PM

A better team? Thats funny. We'll see what happens when they play and KSU is the team with more time to prepare this year.

Dam8610
09-17-2008, 09:49 PM
So is Kansas State's defense horrible? Just wondering, I'm trying to get a handle on how good this Anderson kid is.

adschofield
09-17-2008, 11:07 PM
A better team? Thats funny. We'll see what happens when they play and KSU is the team with more time to prepare this year.

Did you forget who your coach is? He's busy transforming your school into a Junior College, he doesn't have time to prepare for Kansas. KSU homerism is off the charts this year.

adschofield
09-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Again, what does last years team have to do with this year's team? If you based the current years team on the previous year then last year Kansas would have been a ****** team that couldn't even beat Toledo.

Maybe because most of this year's KU and KSU team played last year, thus most of the core players remain the same, therefore allowing predictions. By your logic, preseason rankings are impossible. Why do you think Georgia was the preseason #1? Pure Luck?

kmartin575
09-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Maybe because most of this year's KU and KSU team played last year, thus most of the core players remain the same, therefore allowing predictions. By your logic, preseason rankings are impossible. Why do you think Georgia was the preseason #1? Pure Luck?

You assume that if a team beats a team once they will continue to beat them every time. There are too many variables, and the best team does not always win. Also, KU is NOT a better team than last year. Your offensive line sucks, you have no running game, and your defense looks vulerable.

Turtlepower
09-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Let's go Colorado!!!!!!!!!!

adschofield
09-18-2008, 03:35 PM
You assume that if a team beats a team once they will continue to beat them every time. There are too many variables, and the best team does not always win. Also, KU is NOT a better team than last year. Your offensive line sucks, you have no running game, and your defense looks vulerable.

Did I ever assume that if a team beats a team once, they will continue to beat them every time? No. We didn't have a run game last year until about midway through the year, and our O-Line does not suck...It held it's own against a very strong USF DL...Our D this year is better than last year, so we'll be fine.

nfrillman
09-18-2008, 04:03 PM
Come on Colorado. Get a win tonight against WVU and it's another feather in the Big 12 cap, and another stake in the heart of the Big East.

holt_bruce81
09-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Come on Colorado. Get a win tonight against WVU and it's another feather in the Big 12 cap, and another stake in the heart of the Big East.

Well you got your wish. I feel bad for West Virginia's kicker.

Brent
09-19-2008, 07:17 AM
I dont, he should have made it. That's why he has a scholarship.

SuperKevin
09-19-2008, 07:53 AM
I'm not sure if this win speaks to the strength of the Big 12 or the weakness of the Big East. I mean Colorado is no better than the 7th best team in the Big 12.

1. Oklahoma
2. Missouri
3. Texas
4. Kansas
5. Texas Tech
6. Oklahoma State
7. Colorado

Brent
09-19-2008, 05:10 PM
I mean Colorado is no better than the 7th best team in the Big 12.
I think that speaks to the strength that a team in the bottom half played well enough to win that game.

adschofield
09-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Baylor even looks good...Maybe if KSU and NU didn't go down the tubes the last couple of years, we'd be even stronger...But yeah, IMO, Big 12 is the best conference in football.

nfrillman
09-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Baylor even looks good...Maybe if KSU and NU didn't go down the tubes the last couple of years, we'd be even stronger...But yeah, IMO, Big 12 is the best conference in football.

I have to agree, the SEC is great, but the offense in that conference is atrocious on the whole. Every team in the Big 12 has some ability and threats. Baylor's freshman QB Griffin could help get them to a bowl before his career is over. A quick off the top of my head power rankings.

1. Missouri (a touch of homer)
2. Oklahoma
3. Texas Tech
4. Texas
5. Kansas
6. Oklahoma State
7. Colorado
8. Nebraska
9. Kansas State
10. Texas A&M
11. Baylor
12. Iowa State

Brent
09-19-2008, 09:55 PM
a touch of homer
Just a little haha

Brent
09-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Well, at least Jerrod, Fuller and Goodson, looked good.

cdub11
09-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Thoughts on Texas so far this year...

Colt McCoy has looked great, his passing has been very sharp and he is the most dangerous running threat on the team to this point other than John Chiles, I am very unimpressed with the running game, hopefully when Fozzy Whittaker is healthy he will be the answer, the loss of TE Blaine Irby for the season hurts, the O-Line is protecting McCoy much better this season and Cosby and Shipley are both solid receivers, Brian Orakpo is getting a lot of pressure on the QB, I also like what Ive seen from Lamaar Houston, Roy Miller and Sam Acho up front the LBs look really good as well, Kindle, Muckelroy and Norton are constantly around the ball, the secondary is the weakest part of the defense, it worries me about facing all the really good QB’s in the Big 12, but they are really young and hopefully will get better as the season moves on

khorn
09-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Gotta pretty much agree with what cdub said...Colt does look great, then again we gotta see what he does when all the chips are on the table and the team is in a dogfight. Past couple of years he seems to have folded under pressure ,hopefully the extra off season of experience and work in the gym has him better prepared for the conference season.

In terms of the rb's...I expected to see a lot more out of mcgee, in all honesty he looks like the 3rd rb on this team right now, of course thats assuming that fozzy can stay healthy.

Top 2 recievers look solid, need a 3rd to step up, looks like the three guys (Malcolm Williams, Brandon Collins, James Kirkendoll) in the running are stepping up their game from what they've shown the past couple of weeks. The injury to Irby kills Texas as far as the TE position goes, Finley leaving early made us thin but this totally kills any kind of TE game we had.

The OL/DL might be the best aspect of this team aside from McCoy, youth and talent provide tons of depth that will hopefully pay off in the conference season. Wish Eddie Jones would show some signs of life though, especially against inferior opponents.

The LB crew is much improved and I think we're finally starting to see the Sergio Kindle everybody thought we would. Norton provides a sure tackler and big body in the middle of that D and Muckelroy just seems to always make plays.

Now the DB's...yikes...they're not so great right now, seem to be getting better with every game but OU and Mizzou arent so far away and they need to get better fast for Texas to have a chance at a split in those 2 games. Chykie Brown is finally getting a chance and is showing something. IMO Palmer needs to sit because he has reverted back to his pre-'07 days, he looks horrible.

nfrillman
09-25-2008, 04:08 PM
Big weekend for statement games for the Big 12. Colorado @ FSU, #24 TCU @ #2 OU, and VT @ Nebraska. Hopefully the Big 12 wins those games. If they do the Big 12 will most likely have Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas, Texas Tech, Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, and possibly Oklahoma State all ranked. Oklahoma State plays Troy, btw.

Brent
09-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Stephen McGee is the worst starting QB in the Big XII.

LonghornsLegend
09-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Now that Texas beat up on Arkansas, the meat of our schedule is coming up and I get to gauge how good Colt McCoy and the rest of this team is...Will Muschamp is doing some amazing things with our defense, that's been the most notable difference, he is all about attacking the QB and he's getting the most out of Sergio Kindle, Brian Orakpo, and Henry Melton which is scary...Colt is slowly winning me over, as much as I love my Longhorns I have been critical of him for a long time but his play so far has exceeded my expectations...More confidence, stronger, faster, more accurate, being smart with the football, these are some things he lacked even in minor games like Central Florida and TCU last year...Lack of playmakers on offense is my only concern with this team, overall we are much better then last year outside of losing Charles, Finley and Sweed our obvious weapons.

at Colorado
vs Oklahoma
vs Missouri
vs OK State
at Texas Tech

Thats a tough 5 game stretch, I know there are 3 top 10 teams in it, but I only see us losing one out of those 3, if I had to place a bet I'd say we slipped up vs Missouri being right after OU, but anything goes, for the first time in a while I'm excited for all the conference games this year.

BufFan71
09-27-2008, 06:55 PM
god, the lack of speed on CU was exploited by FSU today

i still dont see why Darrell Scott hasnt been getting many carries, even with the emergence of Rod Stewart.

I also dont see why they dont throw the ball to Josh Smith more. Hes the only WR that posses a threat to the defense, but Hawkins cant throw a deep ball to save his life

nrk
09-27-2008, 11:31 PM
Thats a tough 5 game stretch, I know there are 3 top 10 teams in it, but I only see us losing one out of those 3, if I had to place a bet I'd say we slipped up vs Missouri being right after OU, but anything goes, for the first time in a while I'm excited for all the conference games this year.

Yeah, I'm very excited for the conference games this year also. Most OU fans seem to be blowing off Texas (or at least before the season started) but I always told them if McCoy gets over last year and play like he did a couple of years ago, it's going to be a great game. I'm so glad we play Kansas and Tech in Norman this year.

nfrillman
09-28-2008, 04:22 AM
Yeah, I'm very excited for the conference games this year also. Most OU fans seem to be blowing off Texas (or at least before the season started) but I always told them if McCoy gets over last year and play like he did a couple of years ago, it's going to be a great game. I'm so glad we play Kansas and Tech in Norman this year.

I don't think it would matter where Oklahoma played Kansas, but Tech is definitely a threat to anyone they play. I just love how powerful the Big 12 has become. There are going to be 6 teams in the top 25, 4 teams in the top 10, and 3 in the top 5.

LonghornsLegend
09-28-2008, 08:32 AM
I don't think it would matter where Oklahoma played Kansas, but Tech is definitely a threat to anyone they play. I just love how powerful the Big 12 has become. There are going to be 6 teams in the top 25, 4 teams in the top 10, and 3 in the top 5.

And I don't see anyone going through it undefeated, things are going to get interesting pretty soon.

nrk
09-28-2008, 01:17 PM
And I don't see anyone going through it undefeated, things are going to get interesting pretty soon.

Yeah it's funny how majority of people think the best teams should go undefeated.

Turtlepower
09-28-2008, 05:04 PM
I still stick by what I said at the beginning of the season and see Texas winning the Big XII. I think they are the most over-looked top-10 team in the country. Funny that a Longhorns team is being overlooked.

kmartin575
09-28-2008, 11:37 PM
I still stick by what I said at the beginning of the season and see Texas winning the Big XII. I think they are the most over-looked top-10 team in the country. Funny that a Longhorns team is being overlooked.

So because they are overlooked that means they are the best team in the conference?

Turtlepower
09-29-2008, 01:13 AM
So because they are overlooked that means they are the best team in the conference?

No, two completely separate points. I think they have the best defense in the conference and that is why they will win.

LonghornsLegend
09-29-2008, 07:18 AM
We certainly look much upgraded from the garbage we have been putting out the last few years that got us shredded through the air, Muschamp coming over from Auburn is huge and he is really doing a great job...Thats why I said I'm excited for conference play so I can see if we continue to play well on that side of the ball, but I can already see a huge improvement.

Brent
09-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Tech is definitely a threat to anyone they play
Eastern Washington, Nevada, UMass and SMU, was nothing close to a test for them. Looking at their schedule I dont think they have a tough game till October.

nfrillman
09-29-2008, 03:10 PM
No, two completely separate points. I think they have the best defense in the conference and that is why they will win.

Not to disrespect Texas, but they have played absolutely no one, so a judgement of their D a little difficult. Nebraska's defense looked pretty good before the VT game. Texas could very well win the Big 12, but they have played Florida Atlantic (1-3), UTEP (1-3), Arkansas (2-2), and Rice (3-2). They were also outyarded by UTEP 412-404. Those four teams' wins came against UAB, UCF, Western Illinois, Louisiana Monroe, Southern Methodist, Memphis, and North Texas. So forgive me if I'm not sold on the Texas D yet.

Turtlepower
09-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Not to disrespect Texas, but they have played absolutely no one, so a judgement of their D a little difficult. Nebraska's defense looked pretty good before the VT game. Texas could very well win the Big 12, but they have played Florida Atlantic (1-3), UTEP (1-3), Arkansas (2-2), and Rice (3-2). They were also outyarded by UTEP 412-404. Those four teams' wins came against UAB, UCF, Western Illinois, Louisiana Monroe, Southern Methodist, Memphis, and North Texas. So forgive me if I'm not sold on the Texas D yet.

The Rice offense was no gimme and they only held them to 10 points. I find that very impressive considering how all of the other Big XII defenses have fared.

LonghornsLegend
09-29-2008, 06:51 PM

I already stated the verdict is still out and such is the case with plenty of teams, who has OU faced yet? Texas has only played 3 games, what huge match up did you expect this soon? The defense is much improved over the last few years thats easy to see regardless of who we played, and with the upcoming schedule why would Texas want to schedule alot of OOC power houses this year? Missouri, Tech, and OU are 3 top 10 teams who are undefeated, their chance to prove themselves will come.

But you can still acknowledge the D has played great, just like everyone says OU's offense is so great yet they haven't faced a great D, same for Missouri, its no different this early in the year.

nfrillman
09-29-2008, 06:54 PM
I already stated the verdict is still out and such is the case with plenty of teams, who has OU faced yet? Texas has only played 3 games, what huge match up did you expect this soon? The defense is much improved over the last few years thats easy to see regardless of who we played, and with the upcoming schedule why would Texas want to schedule alot of OOC power houses this year? Missouri, Tech, and OU are 3 top 10 teams who are undefeated, their chance to prove themselves will come.

But you can still acknowledge the D has played great, just like everyone says OU's offense is so great yet they haven't faced a great D, same for Missouri, its no different this early in the year.

I think you get what I'm saying. I'm not saying Texas' defense isn't good, I'm just saying I think it's too early to say they have the best defense in the Big 12. They certainly might, but it's hard to really believe anything with much certainty this early in the year, besides that the Big 12 has some insane offenses.

LonghornsLegend
09-29-2008, 06:56 PM
I think you get what I'm saying. I'm not saying Texas' defense isn't good, I'm just saying I think it's too early to say they have the best defense in the Big 12. They certainly might, but it's hard to really believe anything with much certainty this early in the year, besides that the Big 12 has some insane offenses.

Oh I agree 100%, that was my thoughts after watching us the first 3 defenses, need to see us fare vs some conference foes before I know how good we actually are...Colorado is first on our plate and they are no slouch themselves.

kmartin575
09-29-2008, 11:17 PM

I personally think their young secondary will be shredded by the likes of Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech.

nrk
09-30-2008, 12:01 AM

TCU had a pretty good defense.

adschofield
09-30-2008, 04:19 PM
I personally think their young secondary will be shredded by the likes of Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Texas Tech.

FYP...........

LonghornsLegend
09-30-2008, 05:36 PM
I personally think their young secondary will be shredded by the likes of Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech.

And who won't? Do you think Missouri can stop the offenses of OU, Tech and Texas after Illinois lit them up? What about Tech's non-existant defense? These are some of the best offenses in the nation, I don't see anyone shutting them down, and more then likely will get their points vs anyone, you say that our secondary is going to get shredded like any of these other teams will be so much better on defense vs these top flight offenses.

Brent
09-30-2008, 11:16 PM
hooray shootouts! since we arent going to score any points, at least I can see the other teams score a lot. by the way, if OU doesnt score 70 on us, I will be shocked... unless Stoops starts kneeling in the second half.

Iamcanadian
09-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Way too early to assess any conference. The Big 12 could see plenty of blowouts and reduce their top 10 teams significantly. Your only a top 10 team till you get blow out by somebody. USC and Georgia are holding on by their finger tips and if any of the Big 12 teams goes down, they probably drop even further.

adschofield
09-30-2008, 11:21 PM
I still think we're the best conference...

You can't compete with a core of Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, Missouri, and Kansas plus a second tier of OSU, Colorado, Nebraska, KSU, ISU, and Baylor...Even Baylor and ISU aren't anemic this year.

cdub11
10-01-2008, 09:59 AM
I was looking at the pass efficiency leaders and the big 12 has 10 of the top 26.

2. Colt McCoy
3. Sam Bradford
4. Chase Daniel
5. Zac Robinson
8. Josh Freeman
10. Robert Griffin
17. Joe Ganz
19. Todd Reesing
21. Graham Harrell
26. Jerrod Johnson

BPhilb
10-01-2008, 10:50 AM
I was looking at the pass efficiency leaders and the big 12 has 10 of the top 26.

2. Colt McCoy
3. Sam Bradford
4. Chase Daniel
5. Zac Robinson
8. Josh Freeman
10. Robert Griffin
17. Joe Ganz
19. Todd Reesing
21. Graham Harrell
26. Jerrod Johnson

I read a stat somewhere before last weeks games that said that Matt Stafford would rank 11th in the Big 12 in passer effieciency yet was 22nd in the country. It's kind of an apples to oranges comparison but sick none the less.

kmartin575
10-01-2008, 12:08 PM
FYP...........

Fair enough, I forgot they played Kansas as well. You could probably add Oklahoma State to the list as well.

kmartin575
10-01-2008, 12:11 PM
And who won't? Do you think Missouri can stop the offenses of OU, Tech and Texas after Illinois lit them up? What about Tech's non-existant defense? These are some of the best offenses in the nation, I don't see anyone shutting them down, and more then likely will get their points vs anyone, you say that our secondary is going to get shredded like any of these other teams will be so much better on defense vs these top flight offenses.

Missouri's problems against Illinois were miscommunication in the secondary, NOT an issue of a lack of talent or ability. Gary Pinkel wasn't worried about it after the game so I don't think I should be either.

We have also been playing mostly without our best player in the secondary, William Moore. When he gets back we should see instant improvement.

nrk
10-03-2008, 11:54 AM
So who doesn't love playing Baylor?

LonghornsLegend
10-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Missouri's problems against Illinois were miscommunication in the secondary, NOT an issue of a lack of talent or ability. Gary Pinkel wasn't worried about it after the game so I don't think I should be either.

We have also been playing mostly without our best player in the secondary, William Moore. When he gets back we should see instant improvement.

That's a great excuse! Do I get to use that for my Longhorns if we get shredded through the air? Or does it only work for your team.

holt_bruce81
10-03-2008, 02:56 PM
So who doesn't love playing Baylor?

Robert Griffin III is a pimp.

cdub11
10-03-2008, 03:27 PM
what big 12 game this weekend has the best chance of an upset?

OU @ Baylor
Mizzou @ Nebraska
Texas @ Colorado
Tech @ Kansas St.
Kansas @ Iowa St
A&M @ OSU

holt_bruce81
10-03-2008, 03:49 PM
That's a great excuse! Do I get to use that for my Longhorns if we get shredded through the air? Or does it only work for your team.

I'm not that worried about Missouri's defense, they looked the same last year during non-conference play but really stepped it up during conference play.

Last year non-conference games:

Illinois- 435 total yards (316pass/119rush) (34 points)
Ole Miss- 534 total yards (305pass/229rush) (25 points)
Western Michigan- 372 total yards (240pass/132rush) (24 points)
Illinois State- 397 total yards (242pass/155rush) (17 points)

Last years conference games:

Nebraska- 297 total yards (223pass/74rush) (6 points)
Oklahoma 384 total yards 266pass/118rush) (41 points)
Texas Tech 388 total yards (397pass/-9 rush) (10 points)
Iowa State 389 total yards (237pass/152rush) (28 points)
Colorado- 196 total yards (112pass/84rush) (10 points)
Texas A&M- 380 Total yards (247pass/133rush) (26 points)
Kansas State 406 total yards (284pass/143rush) (32 points)
Kansas 391 total yards (349pass/42rush) (28 points)
Oklahoma- 375 total yards (209pass/166rush) (38 points)
Arkansas- 361 total yards (197pass/164rush) (7 points)

435-total yards (non conf) 357-total yards (conf)
276 passing ypg (Non conf) 252 passing ypg (conf)
159/4.2 ypc- rushing ypg (non conf) 106/3.02 ypc- rushing ypg (conf)

I love how Demarco Farr put it, the non-conference games are like preseason games for your defense. never really thought about it that way but it's deffinetly true.

nfrillman
10-03-2008, 04:27 PM

There's really no point in arguing it, but what he said is true. Did you watch the game? There were 6 or so big pass plays, 2 were perfect throws and 4 were absolute clear cut miscommunications.

nfrillman
10-03-2008, 04:32 PM
what big 12 game this weekend has the best chance of an upset?

OU @ Baylor
Mizzou @ Nebraska
Texas @ Colorado
Tech @ Kansas St.
Kansas @ Iowa St
A&M @ OSU

I'll rank those chances of an upset, although I don't think any will happen.

1. Texas @ Colorado
2. Texas Tech @ Kansas St
3. Mizzou @ Nebraska
4. Kansas @ Iowa St
5. Texas A&M @ Oklahoma St

LonghornsLegend
10-03-2008, 05:44 PM
There's really no point in arguing it, but what he said is true. Did you watch the game? There were 6 or so big pass plays, 2 were perfect throws and 4 were absolute clear cut miscommunications.

I'm not here to argue, at least not yet, plenty of time for smack talking later, but w/e you wanna call it, its just pretty lame when you get shredded through the air to say "well its not lack of talent, it was just lack of communication and the coach addressed it so were not worried".

You do realize that lack of communication is the primary reason for almost all of the TD's through the air? If you get beat you get beat, the whole "mis-communication" spill can be used for everything, your O-line gets beat all game, not because they suck but because they didn't communicate, you get ran all over, not because your D is bad, but because guys didn't communicate and were in the wrong spots, you can use that for any and every team who gets beat no matter what position...I can guarantee you if you were hearing another team say the same things you would feel the same way, but guys have to hold whatever they can that makes them feel like their team is perfect.

LonghornsLegend
10-03-2008, 05:46 PM
I'll rank those chances of an upset, although I don't think any will happen.

1. Texas @ Colorado
2. Texas Tech @ Kansas St
3. Mizzou @ Nebraska
4. Kansas @ Iowa St
5. Texas A&M @ Oklahoma St

I actually think that mizz/Nebraska game is a huge upset alert, I don't get why you guys think Texas is just waiting to fail the first chance they get...But I believe its been almost 100 years(or close?) since MU has won in Nebraska, granted I think they are by far the better team, but its a nice story line attached to it, so who knows.

holt_bruce81
10-03-2008, 06:17 PM
I actually think that mizz/Nebraska game is a huge upset alert, I don't get why you guys think Texas is just waiting to fail the first chance they get...But I believe its been almost 100 years(or close?) since MU has won in Nebraska, granted I think they are by far the better team, but its a nice story line attached to it, so who knows.

100 years lol, more like 30......yes it's been along time but Missouri has never had a team like this before. I think people are saying Colorado could beat Texas because of what happened last year (OU vs Colorado)

LonghornsLegend
10-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Yea I knew I was going overboard with the years lol...OK state is the upset team to watch which I think you pointed that out already, I believe they play all the top ranked teams in the Big XII this year and I expect them to have at least a few upsets, I actually picked them to upset us before the season :(

nfrillman
10-03-2008, 06:53 PM

I'm not waiting for Texas to fail the first chance they get. I think Texas is very good, but there are several reasons why I put them at the top of the upset alert list. Colorado is better than last year, Colorado beat Oklahoma at home last year, the altitude could make a difference, and most importantly Oklahoma is next up for Texas. It's a classic look-ahead game. Missouri is definitely on the upset watch. I have them at 3 on that list because of what I just mentioned about the Texas-Colorado game, I am skeptical of Texas Tech until they play some real teams, Texas Tech only beat Nevada 35-19 and Missouri absolutely destroyed them 69-17, and Missouri might have been number 1 on that list if Nebraska had looked better last week against VT. VT went into Nebraska with a horrid offense and threw up 35 points and 377 yards. Again, I'm not bashing Texas for no reason at all. I think they will finish in the top 15 at the worst, and if they do lose their losses will be some of the most respectable in the country.

BPhilb
10-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Yea I knew I was going overboard with the years lol...OK state is the upset team to watch which I think you pointed that out already, I believe they play all the top ranked teams in the Big XII this year and I expect them to have at least a few upsets, I actually picked them to upset us before the season :(

The OK State game against Missouri scares the heck out of me since it falls between Nebraska and Texas. Assuming we win this week I'm just hoping we don't look ahead. Luckily the game is at home and we are very tough to beat there but it's the one game on the schedule that has me worried we might get tripped up.

bwillie26
10-03-2008, 10:14 PM

I'd cancel that upset alert.

Im_a_Romosexual
10-04-2008, 11:01 PM
But I believe its been almost 100 years(or close?) since MU has won in Nebraska

They haven't won in Austin for that long.

nfrillman
10-05-2008, 03:04 AM
Well, as I stated earlier, there were no upsets in the Big 12 this week. Kansas survived against Iowa State (are KU fans finally starting to question the legitimacy of their record last year and how good they actually are), Texas took care of their business in Colorado, Texas Tech handled Kansas State in Manhatten, Missouri slaughtered Nebraska in Lincoln, and of course Oklahoma beat Baylor. This week's games set up two huge games in the Big 12 next week. I am predicting that Missouri and LSU will jump Alabama in the rankings, although I think Texas should as well. So that sets up a #15-17 Oklahoma State @ #3 Missouri in a game that would normally be the game of the week, and #4 Texas vs #1 Oklahoma at the Cotton Bowl. These will be two of the biggest games of the week nationally (Texas-Oklahoma being the biggest).

BufFan71
10-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Colorado is so little speed it isnt funny

Brent
10-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Dez Bryant has a future in the league for sure.

adschofield
10-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Well, as I stated earlier, there were no upsets in the Big 12 this week. Kansas survived against Iowa State (are KU fans finally starting to question the legitimacy of their record last year and how good they actually are).

If you actually would have watched the game, you would have realized that the first half was a fluke...Am I saying we're going to win out? No. But the fact that we outscored ISU 35-13 in the second half is more indicative of our talent

kmartin575
10-05-2008, 12:38 PM
If you actually would have watched the game, you would have realized that the first half was a fluke...Am I saying we're going to win out? No. But the fact that we outscored ISU 35-13 in the second half is more indicative of our talent

With a loss to South Florida who wasn't so hot this week themselves and with you barely beating a bad Iowa State team it is still being proven that your not the caliber of team your arrogant fanbase thinks you are.

adschofield
10-05-2008, 12:44 PM
With a loss to South Florida who wasn't so hot this week themselves and with you barely beating a bad Iowa State team it is still being proven that your not the caliber of team your arrogant fanbase thinks you are.

Tampa is a very very tough place to play, no excuses there, we lost plain and simple...But we were much better than ISU and proved it in the second half...I'm sure Mizzou fans would argue that their defense giving up 42 points to a pretty pathetic offense in Illinois was a fluke, but now the Kansas has a flukish performance, we just suck...Nice double standard.

bwillie26
10-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Colorado is so little speed it isnt funny

And you probably still have more than Nebraska. Josh Smith alone may make you have more speed than our squad.

adschofield
10-05-2008, 01:36 PM
How is Darrell Scott doing this year? How's the Buff's D this year? And how is Cody Hawkins doing?

SuperKevin
10-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Not telling you all anything you didn't already know but the Big 12 is the best conference in football this year. So many playmakers it's not funny. I feel bad for whoever has to decide on the 1st team All Big 12 team.

nfrillman
10-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Tampa is a very very tough place to play, no excuses there, we lost plain and simple...But we were much better than ISU and proved it in the second half...I'm sure Mizzou fans would argue that their defense giving up 42 points to a pretty pathetic offense in Illinois was a fluke, but now the Kansas has a flukish performance, we just suck...Nice double standard.

First of all, Illinois is twice the team Iowa State is. And yes, the first game of the season is definitely the best indicator of how good a team is. No way should you look at the most recent games. As for that Illinois offense, I don't know what your definition of pathetic is, but it's far different than mine. Illinois is 24th in the nation in points per game, 17th in total yards per game, 18th in rush yards per game, and 38th in pass yards per game. Oh yes, they have a horrendously bad offense. BTW, one of their TD's was a pick 6 against Missouri. Now for Iowa State and their offense that ranks 35th in points per game, 74th in total yards per game, 69th in rush yards per game, and 65th in pass yards per game. Yes, that offense is totally epic. I mean look at the numbers, it's da bombz. The bottom line is that Kansas has played 1 decent team and lost. They have made absolutely no statements in their games this season. Enjoy losing at least 5 games this year.

adschofield
10-05-2008, 09:08 PM
First of all, Illinois is twice the team Iowa State is. And yes, the first game of the season is definitely the best indicator of how good a team is. No way should you look at the most recent games. As for that Illinois offense, I don't know what your definition of pathetic is, but it's far different than mine. Illinois is 24th in the nation in points per game, 17th in total yards per game, 18th in rush yards per game, and 38th in pass yards per game. Oh yes, they have a horrendously bad offense. BTW, one of their TD's was a pick 6 against Missouri. Now for Iowa State and their offense that ranks 35th in points per game, 74th in total yards per game, 69th in rush yards per game, and 65th in pass yards per game. Yes, that offense is totally epic. I mean look at the numbers, it's da bombz. The bottom line is that Kansas has played 1 decent team and lost. They have made absolutely no statements in their games this season. Enjoy losing at least 5 games this year.

I wasn't arguing that somehow ISU is a great team...All I am saying is that it's def. possible for a team to have a flukish performance like Mizzou's defense had in the 2nd half against Illinois...I'm not saying that somehow Mizzou sucks because of that, but rather that a team's performance in one half of a football game isn't always the best indicator of talent. Again, we player uncharacteristically horrible in the first half...We had 3 turnovers and trouble passing the ball, which I think we can all agree on, is uncharacteristic for the Jayhawks...Look at the 2nd half, we outscored them 35-13 and moved the ball on them at will. Serious question, did you actually watch the game, or just check out the box score?

LonghornsLegend
10-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Dez Bryant has a future in the league for sure.

Yes...Yes he does.

BufFan71
10-06-2008, 05:59 PM
How is Darrell Scott doing this year? How's the Buff's D this year? And how is Cody Hawkins doing?

Darrell Scott came into practice at 230lbs... like 20lbs more than expected.
So they pretty much refuse to give him touches until he gets his weight down. But he has shown sparks

D, pretty bad, BAD tackling, and no speed wat-so-ever

Cody Hawkins' numbers might lead u to believe hes doing good, but in all reality, he has no arm strength, and has missed about 5 tds this year b/c he couldnt throw deep enough

Best player right now is Josh Smith

SuperKevin
10-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Try to make an All Big 12 team. It's hard

adschofield
10-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Darrell Scott came into practice at 230lbs... like 20lbs more than expected.
So they pretty much refuse to give him touches until he gets his weight down. But he has shown sparks

D, pretty bad, BAD tackling, and no speed wat-so-ever

Cody Hawkins' numbers might lead u to believe hes doing good, but in all reality, he has no arm strength, and has missed about 5 tds this year b/c he couldnt throw deep enough

Best player right now is Josh Smith

Hmmm...I like our chances...It's going to be another sellout in Lawrence, so the atmosphere should be great.

Brent
10-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Try to make an All Big 12 team. It's hard
Seriously, it's so stacked, especially on offense.

adschofield
10-12-2008, 12:06 AM
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh140/darin914/motivator4157710.jpg?t=1223786581

SuperKevin
10-12-2008, 01:01 AM
Well that was a crazy week for Big 12 football. I wouldn't be shocked if Oklahoma State ended up winning the conference championship. They looked really good today against Missouri

BufFan71
10-12-2008, 09:18 AM
man, colorado has looked horrible these last 3 weeks

SuperKevin
10-12-2008, 09:22 AM
man, colorado has looked horrible these last 3 weeks

They are a really young team playing in arguably the best conference in football right now. I wouldn't be too worried about them because they are getting valuable big game experience for the future.

Brent
10-12-2008, 10:22 AM
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh140/darin914/motivator4157710.jpg

fixed it for you

LonghornsLegend
10-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Well that was a crazy week for Big 12 football. I wouldn't be shocked if Oklahoma State ended up winning the conference championship. They looked really good today against Missouri

I would, upsets are one thing, but they gave that game away time after time, missing FG's, silly turnovers, MU did everything they possibly could to lose that game, OK State was very sloppy though but they made plays when they had to.

Brent
10-12-2008, 08:44 PM
OK State is notorious for not finishing games but they could really have a great season if they avoid it.

jnew76
10-18-2008, 06:04 PM
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh140/darin914/motivator4157710.jpg?t=1223786581

Just noticed this and I have not seen it before. I was at two of the games. Colorado 5th down and the Nebraska Kicked ball. I actually ran onto the field as I saw the ball bounce off Wiggins' chest thinking it went to the ground. I was sprinting towards the far endzone when I heard "TOUCHDOWN, NEBRASKA" over the loud speaker. Had no idea what happened til I saw it on the jumbotron.

I am one of the MU fans that has truly been through and participated in the FAIL.

SuperKevin
10-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Texas is destroying Missouri. It's not even a good game at this point

adschofield
10-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Rough day for the Big 12 North...At least we held our own against OU...Reesing>Daniels.

SuperKevin
10-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Rough day for the Big 12 North...At least we held our own against OU...Reesing>Daniels.

Neither has a ton of pro potential but right now I'd probably agree with you.

LonghornsLegend
10-18-2008, 10:21 PM
I wonder if Darrell Scott wishes he came here instead, I'm pretty sure he went there to be the guy but has been losing carries quite a bit, if he was going to split the load he should of just stuck with his guns and came here.

BackwoodsBoy
10-19-2008, 10:01 AM
How tall is Todd Reesing anyway? He looks like a midget. If he measures in anything 5'9 or over i'll be shocked. I'd say he's 5'8 7/8

Brent
10-19-2008, 03:09 PM
He's 5'10" if I am not mistaken.

TCU
10-19-2008, 09:13 PM
My horns look good, the game was awesome it was such a blowout, those missouri fans looked miserable, i think we had 9 possesions and 8 touchdowns. Thats a good offense and thats a bad defense.

adschofield
10-19-2008, 09:33 PM
He's 5'10" if I am not mistaken.

That's accurate

LonghornsLegend
10-21-2008, 12:31 PM
My horns look good, the game was awesome it was such a blowout, those missouri fans looked miserable, i think we had 9 possesions and 8 touchdowns. Thats a good offense and thats a bad defense.

Why is your name TCU and you have a TCU sig but your a Texas fan? Just curious.

bantx
10-21-2008, 04:11 PM

pretty sure hes talking about horn frogs

holt_bruce81
10-21-2008, 05:47 PM

No he's talking about the Texas Longhorns.

nrk
10-21-2008, 07:21 PM

I don't think TCU played Missouri last week so he has to be talking about UT. ^^

bantx
10-21-2008, 07:22 PM
yeah my bad

TCU
10-22-2008, 08:49 PM

I joined this site in 2005, i was and still am a huge TCU fan but now 3 years later I am a student at the University of Texas, since i have been on here for years im not going to change my name or my sig.

P-L
10-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Question: Are the Big XII defenses that bad or are the offenses just that good? Combination of both?