PDA

View Full Version : Branden Albert - RT?

vidae
04-30-2008, 02:34 AM
Was watching NFL Total Access (on the NFLN) and they had an interview with Carl Peterson who said, when asked where Albert might play in the upcoming season, that Herm was going to start him off at RT.

I wonder if they still think McIntosh can play LT? I know he was injured, but boe showed me some stats of his, and until he was injured, he was a solid offensive lineman. Obviously he wasn't last year, because of the injury, but what do you all think about that?

Personally I'd rather have McIntosh at RT and kick Albert out to LT now to see how he handles it, but maybe moving him along a little slower would be a better idea. Thoughts, ideas, opinions?

Bengalsrocket
04-30-2008, 03:03 AM
Has McIntosh played RT before? I heard its really uncomfortable for linemen to go the other side sometimes. It could suck for McIntosh this year, or if Alberts starts at RT then moves to LT he may be too comfortable with being on the right (depending on how long he plays there).

Nothing constructive there I guess, just something to think about.

BPhilb
04-30-2008, 09:01 AM
We start out week 1 against New England. I really wouldn't want to put a guy in at LT in the first week of the year unless he really shows he is prepared in the pre-season. We need to keep our QB healthy and Albert at RT would not be a bad thing. There will be plenty of time for Albert to get a shot at LT throughout the year.

villagewarrior
04-30-2008, 09:27 AM
I absolutely think Albert should be broken in on the right side. He played 2 games period at tackle in college, just 2. To expect him to step in at left tackle right away is exposing him to failure. Start him at right tackle to get his feet wet, but all year long make sure he is getting practice reps at left tackle and maybe a series or two every game at left to help start the transition, build him up that way.

Moving from side to side isn't that difficult. I'm not nearly the athlete these guys are and I had no trouble doing it.

Hermstheman83
05-01-2008, 07:57 AM
I absolutely think Albert should be broken in on the right side. He played 2 games period at tackle in college, just 2. To expect him to step in at left tackle right away is exposing him to failure. Start him at right tackle to get his feet wet, but all year long make sure he is getting practice reps at left tackle and maybe a series or two every game at left to help start the transition, build him up that way.

Moving from side to side isn't that difficult. I'm not nearly the athlete these guys are and I had no trouble doing it.

Yea, it would definately get him used to the speed of the game, facing the lesser of the two pass rushers. Also, DMac is good enough to play LT for a year while Albert gets his feet wet. That would also fix our problem with the Right side, as we seemed to have the revolving door problem on the right(With Turley,etc)
Wow, Village, I had no idea you were an athlete. I played twenty minutes of football in high school, and of those twenty minutes, I was always that guy who got lit up on the highlight film. Being 6'4 didn't help me as a DT in high school, I always got too high...I digress.

Splat
05-01-2008, 08:59 AM
I also would not mind at all if BA got his feet wet at RT first it is a big jump going from college OG to RT let alone LT. To me our biggest weakness on the line last year was RT so I'm all for this move if it goes that way.

05-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Right move by KC. Playing a premier position like LT so early in his career for a college guard is a bit too much to ask.