PDA

View Full Version : Mario Manningham

TheGreatEscape
04-30-2008, 02:38 PM
I know a lot of people like him but he just screams bust to me, he's an idiot, he's soft and he completely lacks focus. Last WR I hated this much was Sinorice Moss, another Giants' bust, and he reminds me so much of a more polished route running Tim Carter.

Turtlepower
04-30-2008, 02:42 PM
He's a thrid round pick, so that is why I really don't care much if he plays like crap. It was a luxury pick for the Giants. He has the physical tools to succeed, but if he doesn't so what. I really don't care enough if he pays like crap because at the end of the day, he won't be much more than a #4 WR this year and possibly #3 next year.

We traded up in the 2nd to get Moss, so that is the difference between these two picks. We gave up a lot to get Moss, who more or less sucks. But with Mario, we already addressed our 2 positions of need in the first and second round, so the 3rd was BPA and Mario was there.

Geo
04-30-2008, 02:43 PM
It's hardly the worst pick in the world, to take him at the end of the 3rd to see if he can potentially flourish. He was the big man on the Michigan campus but now he's in a pro locker room which can teach him how to be a successful pro, after having been a successful college player.

TheGreatEscape
04-30-2008, 02:51 PM
My problem is that as a defending superbowl champs we should address our lack of oline depth so that we are better prepared for injuries in our attempts to repeat.

no love
04-30-2008, 03:02 PM
I think they would have been much better off going for Dan Connor. He would have been a great addition to that defense to wait in the wings behind Pierce.

Turtlepower
04-30-2008, 03:17 PM
I think they would have been much better off going for Dan Connor. He would have been a great addition to that defense to wait in the wings behind Pierce.

Jonathan Goff > Dan Connor at MIKE.

Staubach12
04-30-2008, 03:43 PM
It's very early to be calling Moss a bust. He's still progressing, and when he came out, it was widely known that he'd take time. While his chances don't look fantastic, don't give up on the kid yet. Also, we're on the same page about Manningham.

Michigan
04-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Even as a Michigan fan, I can't say I like Manningham because of his intelligence/attitude. However, he has a tremendous ceiling and is absolutely a steal in the late 3rd. You should be happy with the pick.

703SKINS202
04-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Manningham has all the physical tools to be a complete steal its just his alarming character issues and intelligence. This is fine value for the giants in my opinion; I was really hoping he wouldn't get picked in this division.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-30-2008, 04:22 PM
I definitely like Manningham more in the 3rd round then when he was getting 1st round talk. I am also of the opinion that this draft class was packed enough at receiver to warrant passing on a guy who's really botched up the offseason process. However, if a team stays on the kid and pushes his buttons, he has all the talent to be a nice receiver in the NFL.

BaLLiN
04-30-2008, 06:18 PM
I really really like the pick. Yes he is inconsistant and has character issues, but if you watched him play you know that everytime he got the ball in his hands he was a tremendous threat to take it to the endzone.

I really like how he gets seperation and works the double moves, he may not have that great speed (40 time) but he shows great burst coming in and out of his breaks, which i preferr getting over a really fast WR of the same caliber who cant do that.

He also has great vision, if its not there, he looks somewhere else before he takes it out of bounds. Moss usually catches the ball and tries to get out of bounds, where the best part of his game is the ROC so he's really hurting himself by doing that.

Manningham will not be a starter and will not be our #3, but there is a good chance he gains the #4 spot and takes the role of #1 or #2 if Plax or Toomer get injured.

Sniper
04-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Mario adds a great deep threat dimension to the Giants offense. He never averaged less than 16 ypc at Michigan, and don't even try that ******** "He only runs deep routes" crap because that's all it is, crap. He's very productive and could be a major steal.

asmitty45
04-30-2008, 10:51 PM
The thing that'll kill his shot is the bright lights on NY.

He couldn't stay out of trouble in humble ann arbor, imagine what will tempt him in the big apple

Jonny
04-30-2008, 11:31 PM
No, a thousand times no to Connor.

CC.SD
04-30-2008, 11:48 PM
Finally someone says it; this kid was having problems in Michigan and now you put him in New York? I don't have a problem with the sweet cheeba, but I'm not a professional athlete either.

That said, expectations are low. He doesn't break past Plax, Toomer or Smith, and I'll bet money the G-men try and get David Tyree some more exposure this year.

Crickett
04-30-2008, 11:51 PM
Mario adds a great deep threat dimension to the Giants offense.

Isn't that what Steve Smith was supposed to do?
Isn't that what Sinorice Moss was supposed to do?
Isn't that what Plaxico Burress does every now and then? I mean, he's not a speedster so far as I know, but I do see him catch the occasional gazillion yard bomb from Eli and Big Ben before him.

Flyboy
05-01-2008, 12:20 AM

Steve Smith was never really known as a big play threat.

NotoriousT
05-01-2008, 12:56 AM
That's not what Steve Smith was supposed to do at all and I'm not sure where you got that from. He wasn't a real big play threat in college and he wasn't expected to suddenly change into one in the pros. Smith is a great route runner with good but not great speed. He was drafted to work the middle of the field and run intermediate routes which he did quite well in the short time we saw him last year.

Yes Sinorice was drafted to be our deep threat that but that's where the comparisons stop. Sinorice was never thought to be a potential number 1 or 2 while Manningham is expected to take over Toomer's spot when he retires (if all goes well of course). Manningham was MUCH more productive in college than Sinorice was (I think Mario had more TDs last season than Sinorice did his entire career) and really they're just different receivers. I also fail to see the comparison between Carter and Manningham other than the fact they're both fast and both play WR.

Manningham's character concerns are overblown. He got caught with some weed, it's not like he got into a bar room brawl, beat his girlfriend, stole anything, made it rain on some strippers, or has been arrested a hundred times. I don't get all this "big city fear" talk because weed is just as accessible in Ann Arbor as it is in NYC. I think people just hear 'character concerns' and automatically associate it with constantly partying, going to strip clubs, bars, and getting into trouble. Mario hasn't been caught doing any of that stuff so I don't get this great concern for him being in NY. Is he dumb as rocks? He sure is. But if you think he's the only professional athlete who probably shouldn't have graduated high school, you're kidding yourself.

Shane P. Hallam
05-01-2008, 01:38 AM
I think the pick was a good pick, let me preface this with that. The value was there, he is a solid player and was worth the pick.

With that being said, I think Manningham will bust and here is why. He needs some major help running his routes and I'm not a fan of the separation he gets. I think he will definitely struggle at facing elite corners as he seemed to disappear or be ineffective against top corners. I think if he faces corners who are physical or can cover well, he's going to be a little screwed. Add to it that his hands are subpar, and all you have is a guy who can maybe hit the seam route against corners that struggle with speed.

Likewise, you're looking at a guy who will start as the 5th WR this season. Burress, Toomer, Steve Smith, Tyree, Manningham. Moss will likely be cut, so it may be a long while before you see him make an impact anyway.

Sniper
05-01-2008, 06:09 AM
With that being said, I think Manningham will bust and here is why. He needs some major help running his routes and I'm not a fan of the separation he gets. I think he will definitely struggle at facing elite corners as he seemed to disappear or be ineffective against top corners. I think if he faces corners who are physical or can cover well, he's going to be a little screwed. Add to it that his hands are subpar, and all you have is a guy who can maybe hit the seam route against corners that struggle with speed.

I don't know about the whole separation thing. That's one thing Mario has never really struggled with.

BaLLiN
05-01-2008, 06:15 AM
Isn't that what Sinorice Moss was supposed to do?
Isn't that what Plaxico Burress does every now and then? I mean, he's not a speedster so far as I know, but I do see him catch the occasional gazillion yard bomb from Eli and Big Ben before him.

Steve Smith is supposed to be a reliable reciever but i dont think we expected him to be that deep threat, even though he timed well at the combine with 4.4

Moss yes, he was supposed to be that guy who stretches the field, we havent given up on him yet, but this year is really his judgment time.

Plax is a big tall reciever, never has been quite fast enough to do that, but he does catch long bombs with his height advantage.

Manningham is not like moss, id just like to say that because some people have said that comparison before. Moss was mostly a ROC kindof guy, Manningham is that too, but he works his double moves alot better, and gets consistantly more seperation.

Geo
05-01-2008, 11:45 AM
I don't know about the whole separation thing. That's one thing Mario has never really struggled with.
Yeah, he really tore up Ohio State in his collegiate career.

Sniper
05-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Yeah, he really tore up Ohio State in his collegiate career.

Let's see....

This year he had only 5 catches for 34 yards and a multitude of drops. Then again, he was still the leading receiver on that very rainy day with a crippled Henne at the helm.

'06 6 catches for 86 yards despite Henne missing him AT LEAST once on a WIDE OPEN out and up against Malcolm Jenkins.

'05 4 catches for 64 yards as the #3 receiver.

Some respectable numbers considering the circumstances. Tell me again how he didn't get seperation? I'll be waiting.

Shane P. Hallam
05-01-2008, 11:54 AM

I disagree in watching him. I think he has been able to use his size and physical talents to BEAT WRs, but not really gain separation.

DeathbyStat
05-01-2008, 12:07 PM
He's a thrid round pick, so that is why I really don't care much if he plays like crap. It was a luxury pick for the Giants. He has the physical tools to succeed, but if he doesn't so what. I really don't care enough if he pays like crap because at the end of the day, he won't be much more than a #4 WR this year and possibly #3 next year.

We traded up in the 2nd to get Moss, so that is the difference between these two picks. We gave up a lot to get Moss, who more or less sucks. But with Mario, we already addressed our 2 positions of need in the first and second round, so the 3rd was BPA and Mario was there.

I couldn't agree more

keylime_5
05-01-2008, 01:39 PM
I think Mario will be the best WR in this year's class and probably will even make the biggest impact as a rookie. He only wasn't a first round pick b/c he lied about that incident at Michigan and teams question his character.

no love
05-01-2008, 03:19 PM
I think Mario will be the best WR in this year's class and probably will even make the biggest impact as a rookie. He only wasn't a first round pick b/c he lied about that incident at Michigan and teams question his character.

I think he wasn't a first round pick because the general consensus was that there were no WR's that were really first round grades, compared to the offensive linemen this year.

I think Sweed and Thomas were both better prospects and look where they were drafted. Manningham showed inconsistent concentration, a smaller build, a 40 time that was good but not amazing, poor attitude in team interviews, and lying about his past drug use. Add that to the fact that he wasn't a great role model at Michigan, was benched by his coach and that was more than enough to knock him down. His drop albeit a bit harsh, was not completely unexpected.

Michigan
05-01-2008, 03:58 PM
woah, since when was separation a concern for Manningham? that's pretty much his biggest strength, along with body control and big-play ability.

BaLLiN
05-01-2008, 04:38 PM
woah, since when was separation a concern for Manningham? that's pretty much his biggest strength, along with body control and big-play ability.

yea, i dont get why people are saying he doesnt get good seperation...

P-L
05-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Yeah, if Manningham does one thing better than anything else, it's get separation. His hands are suspect and he can only run two routes, but he'll usually get by the defender.

TheGreatEscape
05-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Yeah, if Manningham does one thing better than anything else, it's get separation. His hands are suspect and he can only run two routes, but he'll usually get by the defender.

Good thing he's smart, tough and focused so he can master some newroutes and improve his hands...

P-L
05-01-2008, 05:06 PM
I never suggested otherwise. All I said is that he can get separation. You don't have to tell me that he's an idiot.

Brothgar
05-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Good thing he's smart, tough and focused so he can master some newroutes and improve his hands...

He's smart? didn't he get like a 6 or a 9 on the Wonderlick?

Sniper
05-01-2008, 05:11 PM
He's smart? didn't he get like a 6 or a 9 on the Wonderlick?

It's the Wonderlic, and he got a 6. He was being sarcastic.

Sniper
05-01-2008, 05:13 PM
And I actually find myself liking Mario's route running more and more. Through the magic of WolverineHistorian and parkinggod on YouTube, both of whom have highlights most of the Michigan wins this season, you can see a lot of his receptions and they come on some pretty good routes. Now, he's no Marvin Harrison, but he's no Ted Ginn either.

MetSox17
05-01-2008, 07:41 PM

I don't see where you can make this argument, really. He was very productive in College, yes, but he's going to a team where he'll be lucky to be the 4th WR. How in the heck is he gonna make an impact as a rookie?

And i think it would be very optimistic, to say the least, to think that he'll become the best WR out of this class. A lot of other WR's possess better athletic ability, size and they can learn to put down the hippie lettuce when they know they should.

bigbluedefense
05-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Jonathan Goff > Dan Connor at MIKE.

Word to big bird. Jonathan Goff was an absolute steal, and im really high on him. That is my favorite pick in this whole draft class.

As for Mario, we picked him at the end of the 3rd round, which is essentially almost a 4th round pick. What did we have to lose? If he pans out we stole him, if not, big deal, we have guys in front of him so we don't need him to contribute right away, and with our WR corp, if he busts its no dirt off our shoulders bc his lack of impact would barely be felt.

Michigan
05-01-2008, 09:09 PM
And i think it would be very optimistic, to say the least, to think that he'll become the best WR out of this class. A lot of other WR's possess better athletic ability, size and they can learn to put down the hippie lettuce when they know they should.

I wouldn't say there are a lot of other WR's that possess better athletic ability. Manningham performed poorly at the combine only because he's too dumb to prepare for it. Great burst, agility, body control, leaping ability, and top speed.

Crickett
05-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Steve Smith was never really known as a big play threat.

That's not what Steve Smith was supposed to do at all and I'm not sure where you got that from.

Steve Smith is supposed to be a reliable reciever but i dont think we expected him to be that deep threat, even though he timed well at the combine with 4.4

Sorry guys, I guess I was mistaken then.