PDA

View Full Version : McCoy vs Moreno

hockey619
04-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Lesean McCoy vs Knowshon Moreno
I was curious what everyone was thinking about these two as NFL prospects. I haven't had the oppurtunity to see much of either of them but I've been impressed with what little I have seen. How would you evaluate them as prospects for the draft (speed, pro comparison for production/running style, etc.)?

art vandelay
04-30-2008, 03:28 PM
McCoy I think has a bigger ceiling. Moreno runs extremely hard, almost Marion Barber and Marshawn Lynch-like but is slightly undersized and doesn't have elite speed.

Shane P. Hallam
04-30-2008, 03:30 PM
I think McCoy is the better prospect if he plays like he did at the end of the season. They being said, it is a big if, and he may not even come out next year unless he has another tremendous season.

I think Moreno is the better college player and still a very high NFL pick though.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-30-2008, 03:47 PM
I like the way Moreno runs better, but Shady has better physical tools.

SchizophrenicBatman
04-30-2008, 04:09 PM
I can tell McCoy is going to test out better from watching both of them

I haven't been able to see enough to tell if Moreno's vision is enough to put him on top as an NFL player or if McCoy has some fatal flaw in his game that'll hurt him

Paranoidmoonduck
04-30-2008, 04:17 PM
LeSean McCoy's running style reminds me heavily of how Reggie Bush ran at USC, making all those nifty lateral movements in a crowd of defenders. If his listing is correct, he's got a bulk advantage on Bush, but I haven't watched enough of his running to decide whether I think he'd run into the same issues in the NFL as Reggie has run into.

As for Knowshon Moreno, he constantly reminds me of what LaDanian Tomlinson looked like at TCU. That immensly strong base, that ability to get north/south and stay that way, the compact build. Of course, Tomlinson had a noticeably bulk and speed advantage, so perhaps the comparison doesn't stand up. Maybe a Carnell Williams comparison would stand up better.

Locc*
04-30-2008, 04:19 PM
carnell williams II?

LonghornsLegend
04-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Huge McCoy fan, I see alot of him when I go back home to Pitt...Both these guys will probably come out when they see where their stock is and better for them...McCoy would need a pretty good year to want to come out, but I think it would be in his benefit because he will get picked apart by returning.

What I like about McCoy is he has excellent vision, he doesn't just run into the hole, and he doesn't put his head down and run into his blockers, he uses his vision when he runs to find the seam and has a 2nd gear to blow past defenders...I've heard Curtis Martin comparisons, but he reminds me alot of Fred Taylor because he runs so well laterally.

Moreno does run alot harder and more physical, he reminds me of Carnell Williams coming out...His first step is quicker then McCoy's and he looks more explosive as soon as he makes a cut, he plants one time and gets up field immediately...There is not alot of tap dancing with him, when he gets the ball he finds the crease and turns his body upfield and I love that about his game...He will take the 4 tough yards and challenge the defender, and he is pretty nice in the open field, I don't think he moves as well laterally as McCoy but takes great angles and explodes through the hole.

I really like both guys, it should be interesting to follow them together in the draft process, personally hoping they declare together to see them ranked in the same class.

SchizophrenicBatman
04-30-2008, 04:26 PM
LeSean McCoy's running style reminds me heavily of how Reggie Bush ran at USC, making all those nifty lateral movements in a crowd of defenders. If his listing is correct, he's got a bulk advantage on Bush, but I haven't watched enough of his running to decide whether I think he'd run into the same issues in the NFL as Reggie has run into.

See, I sort of get a Bush feel from McCoy but I wonder how much of that is actually his running style and how much is the fact that he wears a towel trying to emulate Bush.

He seems to get forward quicker and fight through trash better than Reggie, but like I said, I think I need another year to get a real feel on him

Paranoidmoonduck
04-30-2008, 04:29 PM
See, I sort of get a Bush feel from McCoy but I wonder how much of that is actually his running style and how much is the fact that he wears a towel trying emulate Bush.

He seems to get forward quicker and fight through trash better than Reggie, but like I said, I think I need another year to get a real feel on him

They do have really similar builds and look very similar when they're working the open field. Once again, I don't think I've seen enough of McCoy to get a feel for his inside running is, but a cursory glance seems to suggest that he may have a little more power coming from those legs than Bush had leaving college.

Rjspartan
04-30-2008, 04:30 PM
moreno.............

BuddyCHRIST
04-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Moreno, I don't get the size knocks as he looks like a RB through and through to me. He's probably 5'10" and 210+ pounds right now, not to mention his weight is well distributed and he looks like he's in great shape. But his running style is what makes him so desirable, he runs with elbows and knees the way Adrian Peterson does except he runs slightly more compact so he takes less hits. I don't know about his track speed but he looks very fast on the field and you can't say enough about him being so dominant at SEC level as a freshman and he really helped spark UGA.

scottyboy
04-30-2008, 06:43 PM
http://media.scout.com/Media/image/35/354390.jpg

FTW!

but srsly, Knowshon, hometown boy

themaninblack
04-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Well I watch Moreno almost every week so here are my thoughts on him(don't really see McCoy.)

The comparisons for Cadillac and LT are pretty spot on, I think he's somewhere in between those two. He runs hard, has an energy I have never seen from a RB, and has ELITE cutting ability. He has ample speed, nothing overly spectacular but more than enough to succeed. His size is pretty prototypical though some may see him as small, he is very solid. Pretty much does everything you could want from your RB and does it against top flight competition. Should be a top 10 pick when he decides to leave, and is a Heisman candidate.

catcher_0_3
04-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Well I watch Moreno almost every week so here are my thoughts on him(don't really see McCoy.)

The comparisons for Cadillac and LT are pretty spot on, I think he's somewhere in between those two. He runs hard, has an energy I have never seen from a RB, and has ELITE cutting ability. He has ample speed, nothing overly spectacular but more than enough to succeed. His size is pretty prototypical though some may see him as small, he is very solid. Pretty much does everything you could want from your RB and does it against top flight competition. Should be a top 10 pick when he decides to leave, and is a Heisman candidate.

You pretty much nailed it on Moreno. What impressed me from the first time I saw him is what you mentioned about his energy, it is incredible. You see him lower the shoulder on a safety, make three people miss, and drag 3 guys for 10 more yards; then he gets up and sprints back to the huddle ready for the rock again. I have never seen anyone close to that amount of energy. He's my man, I got my black #24 jersey for my b-day. I'm ready for fall to get here!

Thunder&Lightning
04-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Homer pick but I gotta go with Moreno. Think he is a better prospect than Williams was...

CC.SD
04-30-2008, 07:56 PM
I see the LT comparison with Moreno, and that's enough for me.

SMoore
04-30-2008, 08:06 PM
well i've been watching shady since high school, he definitely has a lot of ability and natural talent, he has really good vision
he is as dumb as a rock tho i talked to him a couple times while he went to mcdevitt

i watched moreno a couple times and he looked really impressive, he just ran really hard and cut very well

keylime_5
04-30-2008, 08:07 PM
I love watching Moreno run, he is a real football player. He'l probably measure around 5'11''/210-215 with a 4.5 forty which is respectable for a guy who runs that hard and puts up those kind of numbers while splitting time. McCoy is a fast and patient runner with good zip into the holes and great vision and balance, but in Pitt's offense it was harder to evaluate his pro potential than it would be if he was in a more wide open system. I'd put Moreno over McCoy right now even though the pro scouts might not b/c of measurables and upside. But really Moreno is 2a and McCoy 2b next year.

CC.SD
04-30-2008, 08:34 PM
I think the real question is, if Beanie puts up a slow 40 time, do either of these guys have a chance of passing him?

BamaFalcon59
04-30-2008, 08:38 PM
I think the real question is, if Beanie puts up a slow 40 time, do either of these guys have a chance of passing him?

If one of them is 5'11" 215 and runs a 4.40 and then Beanie is 6'0" 235 and runs a 4.55 then I think so.

Staubach12
04-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Moreno is a fantastic prospect. I liken him to Marion Barber, but a bit faster and quicker (cuts on a dime), but not quite as powerful. McCoy is a different animal. Better breakaway speed, more patient, better vision, but less powerful and determined. More of a strait-line runner. Makes his cut, and goes.

TACKLE
04-30-2008, 09:02 PM
McCoy is more of a home run hitter but I really like Moreno's ability to run between the tackles, especially for a guy his size. The guy he reminds me a lot of is Clinton Portis although I also like the Cadillac one.

SenorGato
04-30-2008, 11:13 PM
I love watching Moreno run, he is a real football player. He'l probably measure around 5'11''/210-215 with a 4.5 forty which is respectable for a guy who runs that hard and puts up those kind of numbers while splitting time. McCoy is a fast and patient runner with good zip into the holes and great vision and balance, but in Pitt's offense it was harder to evaluate his pro potential than it would be if he was in a more wide open system. I'd put Moreno over McCoy right now even though the pro scouts might not b/c of measurables and upside. But really Moreno is 2a and McCoy 2b next year.

QFT.

McCoy's lower body looks like it can get alot bigger than it is. I want to see what he looks like this fall, because he's got the potential for that prototypical 5'10 215-220 range.

Moreno is my pick, but both are really exciting talents at the RB position....cause thats never been said before every NFL draft...I do worry because he's very similar to guys like Caddy and Portis...undersized backs who don't run like undersized backs. He doesn't have the bulk Tomlinson did/does to warrant that comparison.

Jonny
04-30-2008, 11:32 PM
I love them both.

McCoy's play is ridiculous considering that he has very little help on his team.

I don't think McCoy will be eligible this year, he was not qualified out of HS.

Shane P. Hallam
04-30-2008, 11:34 PM
I know McCoy went to prep school after high school, but still not sure if he is eligible or not.

cunningham06
04-30-2008, 11:53 PM
Knowshon is ridiculous, I would have to see a little more from McCoy to make the judgement, but Knowshon's got good vision and great cutting ability. The Dawgs are gonna be damn good next year.

Pittsburghs_finest
05-01-2008, 01:36 AM
McCoy is a stud. He has gotten bigger from last year and looks a little faster. Pitt runs a pro style offense so I don't understand why that would be harder to evaluate him? It is harder to evaluate a RB out of a spread offense. Last year Pitt has a true freshman QB playing who had a serious hitch in his throwing motion and could not throw the ball more then 10 yards downfield. He faced 8 and 9 guys in the box every single game which makes it even more impressive. He is not afraid to run in between the tackles like Reggie Bush.

Jonny
05-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Because Pitt had a terrible QB and terrible OL play last year. You have to project how good he'd be if they were even average.

keylime_5
05-01-2008, 01:41 PM
I know McCoy went to prep school after high school, but still not sure if he is eligible or not.

He graduated high school the same year as chris wells, he's eligible. You only need to be 3 yrs. removed from graduation is all.