PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Smith

49ersfan_87
04-30-2008, 03:34 PM
This should possibly go in the team boards, but i wanted everyone's opinions about him as a prospect...

I always thought he was a FS, but supposedly the 49ers coaching staff wants to try him out at CB, and if that doesnt work then move him to FS. But i always thought he would be a better fit at FS.

My question is, which position is better suited for him? Does his game translate in the pros as a CB or is he better suited as a FS?

Staubach12
04-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Considering he's much more experienced at Safety, and he often struggles in man coverage with quick WRs, I'd say safety would be your best bet. However, his versatility is fantastic, and I'm sure he'll succeed at CB with time.

Shane P. Hallam
04-30-2008, 03:40 PM
I think he'll end up at Fs, but it is worth a shot at CB.

Yatta!
04-30-2008, 03:40 PM
He played both well in college but most see him as a safety in the NFL, mostly due to his speed. He could stick at corner in certain schemes (don't know too much about the 49ers defensive scheme, so won't comment) but I think he's got a better future as a pure FS.

Iamcanadian
04-30-2008, 03:53 PM
I think a Cover 2 team would have used him at CB but a man to man team will move him to FS.

brat316
04-30-2008, 03:58 PM
He will probably only play in the nickle packages as corner. And then slowly move him to FS. This way you won't have him sitting on the bench. Thats what they did with Troy Polomalu

Paranoidmoonduck
04-30-2008, 04:19 PM
I think Smith would make a very interesting nickel corner to start out his career. He made it clear in his interview with Scott that he prefers to play corner and feels a bit more comfortable there, so why not give him a shot. With his type of player, you shouldn't worry about making the switch to safety later on (or maybe sooner if his lack of speed is exposed).

no love
04-30-2008, 04:49 PM
It is interesting. Everytime I have seen him play, he never really stood out as a guy who was slow and I certainly never saw him get beat deep. In fact I thought he would be a 4.4 guy for sure.

Either way, the way the niners play defense, they play with most of the safety help on the weakside. So if Smith does play CB, it will be with FS help over top. I don't think he will ever be a strong side CB due to the concerns about his speed and it's not like Clements is going to give up his starting position any time soon.

FrankGore
04-30-2008, 05:19 PM
It sounds like the Niners play essentially what is a Cover 2. Nolan said that the corner opposite Clements can get deep help from the safety if he needs it. They wanted a physical corner with ball skills to play opposite him and that is what Smith will hopefully provide. If it doesn't work out he'll go be the ballhawking centerfielder.

I'm interested to see Tarrell Brown come back and play though. His ability at corner is potentially-starting caliber. There will be some good competition there behind Walt Harris with Smith, Brown, Spencer and Hudson.

BaLLiN
04-30-2008, 06:09 PM
I'll tell you 3 things about reggie smith;

#1: he could arguably be the best FS prospect in this years draft, tackles with great technique, can pretty much do it all, just doesnt have great speed.

#2: He was honestly my favorite player in this years draft, and i think he'll be a starter in 1 or 2 years development.

#3: I hate San Francisco because they took him from me :(

toonsterwu
04-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Long run, he's better off as a free safety, although in his youth right now, he can probably stay as a depth corner, at least, until he starts losing another step or two. Personally, if Tarell Brown has his head screwed on right (didn't follow the news on him last year), he has far more physical ability and should be used as a CB before Reggie, IMO. Reggie's got a good feel to things, though, so if he has safety help over the top, leaving Nate iso, then that'd be fine, but you couldn't do it on a consistent basis without eventually being exposed. Having him inside, whether it be slot or safety, will allow him to do a bit more.

no love
04-30-2008, 07:00 PM
It sounds like the Niners play essentially what is a Cover 2. Nolan said that the corner opposite Clements can get deep help from the safety if he needs it. They wanted a physical corner with ball skills to play opposite him and that is what Smith will hopefully provide. If it doesn't work out he'll go be the ballhawking centerfielder.

I'm interested to see Tarrell Brown come back and play though. His ability at corner is potentially-starting caliber. There will be some good competition there behind Walt Harris with Smith, Brown, Spencer and Hudson.

We don't play much cover 2. Michael Lewis is not often asked to be responsible for deep halves. We play more cover 3 than anything, as it allows us to get exotic in our defense against the pass. In a cover 3 you can play man or zone in the secondary with a 8 man front, which allows Lewis to play shallow coverage, blitz, and do all the stuff that we want out of him to be an impact player.

Unfortunately because we use this coverage so often we get burned alot by quick passes and people complain about us not using enough press coverage. Although, I think with the ability of Lawson to drop back quickly (see that St Louis interception), it should really help with our cover three so we aren't susceptable to those quick passes. I also have heard that we used him like a safety in deep coverage, and I don't remember ever seeing it, but if it's true that he has that ability we can really add a wrinkle to the defense by using him in zone and allowing Clements to man-up more on the opposing #1.

I would also be a huge proponent of using more cover 2 on third downs and using Smith and Clements to get physical with wrs. But this would also mean that we would need to sub Lewis on our cover 2 third down package, so he isn't left vulnerable in deep coverage.

I agree that I want to see more from our younger players. But I am most excited about Hudson, he has really flashed a lot of ability to be a solid nickel defender without sacrificing too much against the run.

Locc*
04-30-2008, 10:04 PM
the future:
cb-clements
cb-tarell brown
fs-dashon goldson
ss-reggie smith

sound good?

BaLLiN
04-30-2008, 10:06 PM
the future:
cb-clements
cb-tarell brown
fs-dashon goldson
ss-reggie smith

sound good?

I really doubt Smith could play SS, He's best suited for FS in the NFL IMO. even over corner

no love
04-30-2008, 10:59 PM
I really doubt Smith could play SS, He's best suited for FS in the NFL IMO. even over corner

True, I would only use him as a SS in a cover 2 scheme where he had to play a lot of two-deep help. But then again, in a cover 2 he would be a corner.

Iamcanadian
05-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Where is all this Cover 2 and Cover 3 coming from. San Fran plays a 3-4 defense last I looked and on passing plays at least 1 OLB rushs the passer. They may be able to help Smith on occassion with Safety help but believe me than won't cut it all the time. His future is at FS for a 3-4 team, end of story.

no love
05-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Where is all this Cover 2 and Cover 3 coming from. San Fran plays a 3-4 defense last I looked and on passing plays at least 1 OLB rushs the passer. They may be able to help Smith on occassion with Safety help but believe me than won't cut it all the time. His future is at FS for a 3-4 team, end of story.

Cover 2 and Cover 3 are standard used coverages used by all defenses regardless of formation.

3-4 defenses can utilize both cover 2 and cover 3 looks by the way the safety's and corners drop into deep coverage, this is not affected by the fact that an OLB or an ILB is blitzing.

Ofcourse, Smith won't get safety help ALL of the time but Nolans defense is pretty conservative compared to some and we don't utilize cover 0 and leave our corners on an island all that often.