PDA

View Full Version : Bengals interest in Alexander ??

BengalMedic
05-01-2008, 07:44 AM
http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6768

That's the link, but this is the part that gives the details:

ALEXANDER UPDATE: The Bengals appear to be kicking the tires as they ponder a move with running back Shaun Alexander. Agent Jim Steiner said Wednesday night he had a couple of conversations with the club before the draft and is interested to get their take this week after the Bengals didn't take any running backs.

"They wanted to see what happened and we were going to get back together to see what they had in mind," said Steiner, indicating Alexander would embrace playing in his hometown.

The Bengals, who usually only keep three tailbacks, have a lot to figure out. If Rudi Johnson and Chris Perry are healthy, what to do they do with Kenny Watson and DeDe Dorsey if they sign Alexander? At 31, Alexander isn't the same back that led the Seahawks to the Super Bowl a few years ago and any deal would be contingent on a physical.

But he's a solid guy, adds another dimension in the passing game with terrific hands, has had tremendous production in the past, and his wrist is apparently healed.

The Bengals don't have much to give him, either, because of their salary cap situation, and Alexander also has to figure out how he wants to get paid after years as one of the top paid backs in the league.

Steiner didn't elaborate on any issues, but he's hopeful to talk to the team soon. If the Bengals are going to make a move, it would probably be before on-field voluntary workouts start May 13.

I really just see how they could make this happen with the players we already have. I mean who goes ?? You can't get rid of Rudi to bring in Alexander in my opinion. You still have to give Perry (1st rounder) another chance as it's coming pretty cheap. Irons is a lock due to injury and Watson is a more than solid backup you can't get rid of. That leaves Dorsey on the outs, but that's still to many. Once again, doesn't look like it's something they really need to do...

themaninblack
05-01-2008, 08:23 AM
For the right price he'd be a good add but I'm not really expecting him to be in stripes this upcoming season.

Bengalsrocket
05-01-2008, 10:34 AM
I'd give up Watson before Dorsey =/ No one has respect for Dorsey, but he's a beast.

But I'd keep Watson over picking up Alexander. I'm not saying Alexander's career is done, or that he's not good anymore - but it seems like a high risk low reward situation.

PalmerToCJ
05-01-2008, 11:07 AM
A RB like Alexander is the last thing we need...

StripedWalrus
05-01-2008, 06:40 PM
The price plus his high ability to become injured plus his lack of steady play plus his age equals a big no no!

hobbes2053
05-03-2008, 02:46 AM
even though he is a good RB, he is getting up there in age and he has injury issues. we have good, younger, healthy RBs. we dont really "need" him imo.

StripedWalrus
05-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Apparently Alexander will be visiting the bengals last now instead of first... I think he visited the saints first. Will be interesting to see when he gets down to us and no one wanted to pay him anything... and then we wont either bwuahahahaahha buwhahahaa

BengalMedic
05-09-2008, 07:26 AM
From my understanding he already was in Cincinnati and has went on to New Orleans.
http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6780

I also hear Denver is in the mix as well in regards to Alexander's services.
I say GOOD, I'm not real concerned about getting him in here. If it's cheap, Ok. If not, just say NO !!!

StripedWalrus
05-09-2008, 02:04 PM
ah, well then he went to cincy but didnt discuss any money or something...he will return to cincy after everyone else and then talk money...

I personally dont want him.

PalmerToCJ
05-09-2008, 07:52 PM
I don't either, regardless of price. I'd rather have Watson, Perry and Irons than him.

If Seattle is willing to dump him for TJ Duckett and Julius Jones that should tell you something. I know money was an issue but still...

Bengals78
05-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Eh if Rudi is like Rudi of old, we dont need him or the cap hit.
If Rudi is Rudi of last year, we need help.
I cannot in all honesty say I believe Watson and Perry can carry the load of carries between the two of them.
Watson because I just dont see it in him, Perry because the PUP or IR is always knocking on his door. And I always fall for the ol' "Chris Perry is healthy" trick.

Irons, I could see being a good solid RB when he gets back.

Bengalsrocket
05-10-2008, 02:43 AM
Not enough love for DeDe in this thread, in an article on bengals.com Bob Bratowski said he thinks DeDe will see the ball as much as watson

GH: Have you changed up blocking schemes or plays?
BB: We do that every year, changing blocking schemes and plays. We're planning right now using a mix of Rudi, Kenny and DeDe. Rather of just saying, "Rudi, you'll get every snap," we'll dedicate some series to Kenny and DeDe.

Kenny and DeDe have some spark to them. They can generate big runs down the field. We've been near the bottom of the league in runs over 20 yards. That's not all on Rudi ... somehow we have to find a way to generate those longer runs.

whole article here (Though, if you're visiting this thread you've probably already read it): http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6784

PalmerToCJ
05-10-2008, 03:03 AM
Depends on what happens with Irons I suppose. If he opens on IR there's more flexibility there. Otherwise Alexander is going to eat a roster spot for guys I have at least as much faith in.

I don't see Watson getting cut, if Perry is healthy I surely hope he isn't cut... Then if they do have faith in DeDe, that's 5 RB's once Irons is back.

BengalMedic
05-10-2008, 06:21 AM
Well, with a healthy Rudi and Perry, you still have Irons, Watson, and Dorsey. If you add a 31 year old Alexander, who goes ?? I guess you could PUP Irons if he's not ready, but we also have Jeremi Johnson as well. Watson is the fallback if any of the mentioned goes down. Irons isn't going anywhere obviously. That leaves Rudi and Perry. I for one am always hoping for Perry to stay healthy, but that is certainly NOT a given. If Rudi is the Rudi of last year, is there really a reason to keep him on ?? His base salary for this year and next could make him an attractive reason to cut load...

We shall see, but yes, I'm hoping to see saw more of Dorsey as well.

StripedWalrus
05-10-2008, 10:34 AM
If Rudi is the Rudi of last year than we don't need him. He will simply be dragging the team down. Then again Rudi has never really been that great.

BengalMedic
05-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Wow, hard to find people who are willing to admit they really don't think Rudi is all that great... I personally hold that view as well. I loved what he brought to the team after the Corey Dillon episode, but he's not the standout RB threat most teams look for. He's a more than solid and can run between the tackles, but at his best, you need not look any further than the o-line in front of him. That 2005 o-line was just sick !!! Hell I could have run for 1200 yards behind THAT line...

PalmerToCJ
05-10-2008, 11:47 AM
I think he's a solid RB, just isn't the best fit with our offense. Chris Perry, when healthy is what our offense needs.

In 2005 I wanted Perry to get a bulk of the carries and Rudi even had a pretty good year. This is the reason I wouldn't have been too terribly mad if we somehow took Mendenhall/Stewart in the first.

StripedWalrus
05-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Yea I have been in the Perry camp since he was drafted. Rudi is allright but thats all he is. He is nothing special at all. Chris Perry has the ability to be a feature back. A Brian Westbrook style back that gets alot of short screens and quick dumps and stuff. He doesn't have the abilities of Westbrook. I really havn't seen Perry rush much because he is injured so often. I will ride the Perry train until they cut him though. =) So hopefully they never cut him.

BengalMedic
05-12-2008, 06:52 AM
Anyone know what the deal with Irons is ?? Last I read, it seems he might be on the PUP. Funny how it takes some so much longer to recover from the same injury. Look at Carson. I'm mean WOW !!!

StripedWalrus
05-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Some people just heal faster than others. Then again there are those that want to heal faster than others.

BengalMedic
05-13-2008, 07:15 AM
I get the whole some heal faster than others, but I think you hit the nail on the head with, "some WANT to heal faster than others" part. I'm not saying Irons doesn't want to heal faster and God knows a RB recovering from this type of injury is different than say a QB, but it's just odd at how there can be such a differential...

StripedWalrus
05-13-2008, 11:51 AM
yea, exactly! Look at the situation Irons is in. He is maybe at best the 4th Runningback on the team. His best chances of getting a spot starting is wait out a year to wait and see if Rudi and Perry are gonna pan out. If they don't then he gets a stab at it next year.

BengalMedic
05-13-2008, 12:53 PM
In all seriousness, I'm hoping they just PUP Irons and take the cautious route with him. He has great potential, but would hate to see him come back to early and risk further injury. I still think a healthy Chris Perry will be a huge difference this year for not only the offense, but for Rudi as well...

StripedWalrus
05-13-2008, 04:16 PM
A healthy Chris Perry will make this offense dynamically better. Alot of people discount the Perry factor. He is one of the reasons the offense was so good in 05. He is a huge difference maker.

PalmerToCJ
05-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Everyone keeps discounting him as a RB, I only see talk of Dorsey/Watson/Rudi really. I can't see keeping 4 RB's but who knows...

themaninblack
05-14-2008, 12:06 AM
If Perry is healthy that probably means Dorsey will be released and whenever Irons returns they would either let him go too or carry 4 RB's which seems unlikely.

BengalMedic
05-14-2008, 08:34 AM
I would hate to see Dorsey leave, but what are you going to do ?? As much heat as I'm sure I will take, I've never been a big fan of Watson. He's been great in the backup role, but he's just never stood out to me. That being the case, I would rather give the shot to Dorsey. Feel free to bash away...

StripedWalrus
05-14-2008, 12:32 PM
I dont like Watson as a feature back either. I don't like Dorsey as feature back as well. Watson is a good solid back up. He proved that last year. Dorsey just doesnt have it. He should be the one that gets cut if anyone gets cut.

themaninblack
05-14-2008, 04:48 PM
I like both of them but you've got to be realistic. DeDe is a one trick pony who would be a nice luxury if we didn't have all these investments at RB. Kenny Watson is a solid player who could start in an emergency. Perry/Irons are high picks that we have a lot of confidence in when they are healthy. The three RB's they would ideally like to have are Rudi, Perry, and Irons.

BengalMedic
05-15-2008, 07:24 AM
Agree with the three being Rudi, Perry, and Irons when and if they are all healthy. What the hell is going on with Jeremi Johnson anyway ?? I thought I read something about the coaching staff not be particularly pleased with him at this point in time...

themaninblack
05-15-2008, 04:47 PM
I think that stemmed from a sudden influx in weight but it was probably overplayed in the media. I don't think they really care what he does as long as hes not getting in trouble or his play falters. He's an All-Pro caliber FB.

BengalMedic
05-16-2008, 07:33 AM
Was he hurt last year ?? I cant' recall hearing anything about him. I agree with his pro bowl potential, and can remember him having the ability to catch out of the backfield. I would just like to hear his name a little more (in a good way) for a guy we made the higest paid fullback in the league when he got his new contract...

Bengalsrocket
05-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Was he hurt last year ?? I cant' recall hearing anything about him. I agree with his pro bowl potential, and can remember him having the ability to catch out of the backfield. I would just like to hear his name a little more (in a good way) for a guy we made the higest paid fullback in the league when he got his new contract...

Jeremi is pretty versatile, he can run a little, catch a little and he's obviously a very good blocker. However, when do you expect them give him the ball or "hear his name" as you put it. Over the past 3-4 years we've actually had a running game and a 2-3 solid WR options. When its all said and done there isn't much time to give him the ball when he's simply not able to do as much with it as Rudi / Chad / TJ.

However, with losing chris henry, possibly chad and our current RB's being banged up - maybe we could give Jeremi the ball a little more.

themaninblack
05-16-2008, 04:19 PM
He's already shown he's one of the top 5 FB's (I think only Lorenzo Neal surpasses him, but that gap has been narrowed significantly) in the league and he is a huge part of our run game. His conditioning issues have been brought up more than once but he always comes ready to play when it matters.

StripedWalrus
05-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Havnt heard much on Alexander lately...did he sign with a team?

FLORIDA PACKER
05-27-2008, 09:47 PM
I think he's still out there, kind of strange seeing Musa Smith employed before The Former MVP even though he's declined severely. I do hope he catches on somewhere, he's got something left in the tank, not sure how much exactly but enough to warrant a signing at least.

StripedWalrus
05-28-2008, 12:39 AM
My guess is he wants alot of money and teams are can't afford...or at least don't want to afford him.

Crickett
05-28-2008, 01:10 AM
My guess is he wants alot of money and teams are can't afford...or at least don't want to afford him.

Yeahhhhh, if Shaun Alexander was willing to accept less money, my guess is he'd have been signed months ago.

DragonFireKai
05-28-2008, 01:44 AM
Yeahhhhh, if Shaun Alexander was willing to accept less money, my guess is he'd have been signed months ago.

In the grand scheme of things, it's better for him to not be signed right now.

BengalMedic
05-29-2008, 07:37 AM
Well, there are some interesting points in regards to Jeremi Johnson in the newest article on the official site...

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6812

Bengalsrocket
05-29-2008, 08:45 AM
I thought that article was more interesting in regards to Utecht :)

BengalMedic
05-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love hearing the possibilities that exist for our TE corps that we have never utilized. The fact that a former TE could be thought of as "beating out" our once highest paid FB in the league says something to the disgruntlement of Jeremi Johnson from the coaches...

themaninblack
05-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Ya that was pretty surprising. Jeremi needs to get it together, we're gonna need him.

StripedWalrus
05-29-2008, 02:32 PM
He isnt doing something right if an Undrafted Free Agent TE can take over your spot...

themaninblack
05-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Daniel Coats is a special player first of all and second, Is Jeremi even there?

StripedWalrus
05-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Daniel Coats is a special player first of all and second, Is Jeremi even there?

I think he isn't. If I was him...and the coaches were down on me. I would show up to voluntary camp and work my butt off to impress them.

themaninblack
05-29-2008, 11:23 PM
This could simply be a way to let him know he needs to come ready to work in June and during camp.

BengalMedic
05-30-2008, 07:30 AM
The thing about Coats is, he has that stupid strength... The kid can bench press 225 something like 40 plus times. Can't see the down side to having someone that strong getting looks outside of the TE position.

StripedWalrus
05-30-2008, 02:03 PM
We could just be looking for a person that will block better. We will be running alot of TE options this year where the TE will be catching and running routes, rather than blocking. We are probably looking into a FB that can block like a TE.

themaninblack
05-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Maybe he's just being groomed to replace Reggie Kelly? He does a lot of the same type of thing we are asking Coates to do.

StripedWalrus
05-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Maybe he's just being groomed to replace Reggie Kelly? He does a lot of the same type of thing we are asking Coates to do.

Thats true...Kelly has basically always been a blocking TE.

themaninblack
05-30-2008, 05:19 PM
and Kelly plays FB when we are in our No Huddle offense. Coats could fill that role plus he can actually catch.

StripedWalrus
05-30-2008, 06:21 PM
and Kelly plays FB when we are in our No Huddle offense. Coats could fill that role plus he can actually catch.

So he is probably an eventual replacement for Kelly. Kelly is about 1 mil of cap space if we cut him. THough I dont think he will be cut this year.

themaninblack
05-30-2008, 11:40 PM
its probably more down the road. Kelly is great at what he does and we are hoping Coats can learn to block in a similar fashion.

Shere Khan
05-31-2008, 12:19 PM
Well, at least D3 can play special teams, can't say that about the other RB's on the roster.

D3 deserves an increased role in our offense after what he did last year. His YPC was gaudy, and no one's saying he has to be an full-time, bell-cow back, just a effective wave-player. Besides, that whole Full-time-feature-back approach is become obsolete in today's game anyway.
Even All-Day shared carries with Chester Taylor.

Shere Khan
05-31-2008, 12:24 PM
Some people just heal faster than others. Then again there are those that want to heal faster than others.

Playing RB demands TOTALLY different skills (and stress) than a QB does.
I'm saying though, Carson's not gonna be blocking defenders, cutting and juking out of the backfield every play.