PDA

View Full Version : James Laurinaitis vs. Rey Maualuga

Hograiser
05-01-2008, 05:08 PM
in my opinion laurinaitis is a better backer. he is a complete player that can play the run and the pass equaly efficent. while maualuga is primarily a run stuffer the flies down hill and lays the wood.
Laurinaitis=keith brookings
Maualuga=jeremiah trotter

wondering what everyone elses opinion is on the two backers?

lordquas
05-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Laurinaitis is more versatile and productive but Maualuga is a lunatic. He straight punishes anyone he gets his sights on and is a physical powerhouse.
Its really a toss up and I like both prospects but I'd rather take Maualuga just because I dont like Ohio State. Both are phenomenal.

thefalconer
05-01-2008, 05:55 PM
two very differrent styles of play but rey is just crazy and i would love my defense to be built around an animal like him.

and its BROOKING. no effin s in there.

d34ng3l021
05-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Damn. Laurinaitis' comparison to Brooking is very good. Both are very instinctual and are always around the ball, despite average athletic ability. They will not lay the big hit, but will do a good job of wrapping up the ball carrier. The differences I would say would be in pass coverage. Laurinaitis is a very good pass coverage LB, while Brooking is maybe just a bit above average.

Maualuga is just a great physical specimen who has great instincts. He reminds me of Patrick Willis actually, except not as instinctual, but more physical. He lays the wood very well, but often times goes for the bit hit, causing missed tackles. He has the ability to be good in coverage, but I dont think he is at Laurinaitis' level yet. His forte is for sure defending the run, while Laurinaitis is good in coverage.

I think Rey goes top10, and Laurinaitis goes somewhere between 10-17.

Sniper
05-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Rey Rey all day err day

Locc*
05-01-2008, 06:13 PM
rey is an animal. laurinaitis is OVERRATED.

P-L
05-01-2008, 06:14 PM
Give me Rey Maualuga.

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Maualuga easily.

lordquas
05-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Maualuga easily.

why do u say easily?

you make it seem like their not very evenly ranked

d34ng3l021
05-01-2008, 06:38 PM
I think Laurinaitis may be overrated. Prospect wise, he seems like a DeMeco Ryans, while Rey seems like a Willis.

Rey's mean streak and athletic ability put him over the top.

DragonFireKai
05-01-2008, 06:40 PM
why do u say easily?

you make it seem like their not very evenly ranked

In my eyes they aren't. They're both productive, but Maualuga's superior in nearly every physical catagory, and plays in a conference that has some of the most explosive offenses in nation. Laurinitis is slightly better in pass coverage, but Maualuga's much better against the run, and has a much higher ceiling.

Sniper
05-01-2008, 06:45 PM
In my eyes they aren't. They're both productive, but Maualuga's superior in nearly every physical catagory, and plays in a conference that has some of the most explosive offenses in nation. Laurinitis is slightly better in pass coverage, but Maualuga's much better against the run, and has a much higher ceiling.

Laurinaitis appears better in pass coverage because QBs like to throw right to him. See McCoy, Colt and Locker, Jake.

draftguru151
05-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Don't love either at this point but I definitely like Rey more. I think Laurinaitis is overrated (I think Rey is too, but not nearly as much).

thetedginnshow
05-01-2008, 07:04 PM
I think it depends on your defense. I actually would like Laurinaitis more as an OLB, to be honest. Mauluaga is an absolute monster. I'd much rather have him in the 3-4 though.

dpl85
05-01-2008, 07:20 PM
It's interesting that people call Rey an animal because James' dad is Road Warrior Animal lol. Seriously though I think Rey's probably better against the run and James' better in coverage but they're very close and teams schemes and philosophy will probably dictate who gets drafted first.

Im_a_Romosexual
05-01-2008, 07:39 PM
ask Patrick Cowan

CC.SD
05-01-2008, 07:40 PM
A better comparison for Rey is Ray Lewis. He is a beeeaaaassstttt.

thebow305
05-01-2008, 07:41 PM
I'd take either but Maualuga is a MONSTER! There really is no comparison. Laurinaitis is a tad overrated, while Maualuga is all hype and he never fails to live up to it. PERFECT 3-4 ILB.

05-01-2008, 07:48 PM
A better comparison for Rey is Ray Lewis. He is a beeeaaaassstttt.

Yes, you got that right! Only difference is Rey Rey will probably go a lot higher.

A Perfect Score
05-01-2008, 08:09 PM
maualuga is the closest thing i have seen to ray lewis in a long time...therefore, he wins by a landslide. Laurinatis isnt an extremely athletic backer, but he is very instinctive and i would be veyr happy to take ihm on my team. I think rey will test better, and when all is said and done, coverage can be taught, aggression cant.

Maualuga > Laurinatis

Caddy
05-01-2008, 08:22 PM
I haven't seen much of Laurinatis play, but it is possible he takes a Dan Connor-like drop on draft day?

A Perfect Score
05-01-2008, 08:25 PM
I haven't seen much of Laurinatis play, but it is possible he takes a Dan Connor-like drop on draft day?

not at all...hes a much better prospect then connor is, with much more hype...i cant see him falling much at all, barring injury or a horrible senior season

Thunder&Lightning
05-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Rey by a little. His tenacity wins me over.

CC.SD
05-01-2008, 09:10 PM
I think there are definitely scenarios where Little Animal falls. I'm not saying he will, but he doesn't have elite athleticism or a prototype frame.

I'm not saying he falls out of the first round or anything though.

slightlyaraiderfan
05-01-2008, 09:22 PM
http://rdr.zazzle.com/img/imt-prd/pd-235704388190167842/isz-m/tl-WTF+Rey.jpg

These shirts were made last year, after Rey crushed Patrick Turner(which PT was really not able to get on track after being out for so long) during a practice before the season started last year. Right after the hit Carroll yelled WTF Rey! I find it hilarious. Rey is a beast.

keylime_5
05-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Rey is far more physical and a harder hitter who has a terrific motor and flies around the field making hits. he is good against the run and very aggresive, but is very undisciplined on the field and not what one would call a technically sound player. If he was more disciplined on the field then he would explode as a 120+ tackle machine at mike linebacker like Ray Lewis. Is a great fit in a 3-4 at the NFL level.

James is more fluid and makes plays sideline to sideline and is an effective blitzer who just flat out makes plays, could break the big ten INT record for a LB this year and will get 5-10 sacks, ~4 INTs and over 120 tackles every year. Can conceivably play MLB, SLB, and even WLB or ILB in a 3-4 at the next level. Very athletic who will be a workout warrior (especially in the weight room) when tested. Very strong and fast and instinctive player but he can be ran at (soft DTs at Ohio State haven't helped that though) and if you put a guard on him you can neutralize him and force his teamates to make the play.

Both players have their downsides but both should be top 10 picks. Depends what kind of defense the team in question runs for who will get picked first at this point. James is a better fit in a cover 2 or 4-3 b/c of his superior coverage and lateral speed, but Rey is better if you want a physical in your face backer.

05-01-2008, 09:52 PM
There is no argument here. Rey Rey wins!

keylime_5
05-01-2008, 10:01 PM
no argument yet kiper and many others consider Laurinaitis the top senior for the 2009 draft and he was twice first team allamerican and was a butkus and nagurski winner. You could really go either way, they're very different players despite playing the same position.

MetSox17
05-01-2008, 10:08 PM
I think Laurinaitis will get picked apart by scouts and GM's this year.

I remember when Dan Connor was considered a great great linebacker, then he fell off the face of the earth when scouts got a hold of him. Granted that could have happened this year as well to Lauranaitis, but i never think an extra year under scrutiny is good for your draft stock. For development yes, not for value.

BallerT1215
05-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Rey without a doubt..

JL is largely overrated IMO.

TACKLE
05-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Damn. Laurinaitis' comparison to Brooking is very good. Both are very instinctual and are always around the ball, despite average athletic ability.

I don't understand where this idea comes from. I love Rey but Laurenitas is definitely more athletic than Rey. Laurenitas is a low 4.5 guy where Rey is probably more like a high 4.6 guy. I love Rey's aggresion but Laurentis is better in coverage and has been very productive. Maualuga is a really good fit as an ILB in a 3-4 but I like Laurenitas in a 4-3.

dpl85
05-01-2008, 10:33 PM
In all seriousness I wonder if his NFL career doesn't work out for whatever reason if James Laurinaitis would consider going into his dad's line of work? For those that don't know by now his dad and uncle were pretty successful pro wrestlers, especially his dad. Plus his uncle currently holds a pretty important position in WWE. Having said that though I really expect him to have a good long NFL career barring injury.

keylime_5
05-01-2008, 10:37 PM
In all seriousness I wonder if his NFL career doesn't work out for whatever reason if James Laurinaitis would consider going into his dad's line of work? For those that don't know by now his dad and uncle were pretty successful pro wrestlers, especially his dad. Plus his uncle currenly holds a pretty important position in WWE. Having said that though I really expect him to have a good long NFL career barring injury.

Vince McMahon did say to James that if the whole football thing doesn't work out then he has a wrestling contract waiting for him. WWe would love nothing more than have a former football star and son of one half of their more popular tag teams make them money. Odds of that are very slim at the moment.

Hograiser
05-01-2008, 10:38 PM
How can You say that Laurinatis is the overated one when most are comparing Maualuga to Rey Lewis.

I dont think that the Lewis Comparision works for the reason that Lewis is very disiplined in his responsibilities. Lewis is also a exellent cover linebacker who is very good a diagnosing plays and putting himself in the spot to make the play or the big hit. while Maualuga relies heavily on his athletic ability to put him in the right spot. But when Maualuga gets in the right position you better watch out beicause he is going to take your head off. You would not say that Kevin Greene is like Mauluga because he played with that same fire.So the Lewis comparision doesnt work becaus all they have in common is there passion and intensity. the reason I compared Maualugs to jeremiah "the Axe Man" trotter is that Trotter is not a very good pass defender but he is ampal at fill in the middle and blowing up any thing that comes his way ala Maualuga. you no trotter didnt get his nickname for nothin either, when he hit someone it would echo in the same way that maualuga hits do.

Also Maualuga has never had a 80+ tackle season while Laurinaitis has had two straight 120+ tackle seasons.

So Laurinaitis has the edge in versitility, disipline, production, and leadership Mauluga has the big hits and that is it. so in my mind its Laurinaitis hands down.

Zyro_1014
05-01-2008, 10:45 PM
the reason rey never had over 80 tackles in a season is because hes been playing IN BETWEEN 2 guys that also get 80 tackles.

Keith went top 10 this year and i really think that Cushing will go 10-15 next year. Laurenitis never had that type of talent around him that rey has had

farfromforgotten
05-01-2008, 10:53 PM
I'm not going to argue about one over the other. I like them both, but would rather have Laurinaitis on my team if given the choice. Ofcourse, I live in Columbus (not a Buckeye fan) so in all honesty I have seen more of Laurinaitis than I have of Maualuga. As a side note, these are two great last names for LBs.

Hograiser
05-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Laurinaitis played between two exellent players also in Marcus Freeman who had a 100+ tackle season and Larry Grant Who had a 60+ tackle season
also cushing hardly played last season due to injury so dont give me that crap that rey lost tackles because he had better teammates.

dpl85
05-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Vince McMahon did say to James that if the whole football thing doesn't work out then he has a wrestling contract waiting for him. WWe would love nothing more than have a former football star and son of one half of their more popular tag teams make them money. Odds of that are very slim at the moment.

I agree that it's a long shot at best. I hope for his sake he has a really good long NFL career because even though there's not a lot of security as an NFL player there's even less as a pro wrestler. Plus it's usually pretty tough for second generation workers to fill the shoes so to speak.

d34ng3l021
05-01-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm not going to argue about one over the other. I like them both, but would rather have Laurinaitis on my team if given the choice. Ofcourse, I live in Columbus (not a Buckeye fan) so in all honesty I have seen more of Laurinaitis than I have of Maualuga. As a side note, these are two great last names for LBs.

They do. I would be down for buying a Laurinaitis and Mauaglua jersey in an instant.

And no way Laurinaitis is a low 4.5 guy. I see him at 4.6-4.7.

And heres my bold bold bold prediction: He drops to late round 1 MAYBE round 2. I think he will get overanalyzed like top prospects coming back for their senior season always do. Plus, I think he will not put up great numbers (they will be solid for sure) at the combine. With that said, I still think he will get DRotY. Rey is a bit raw.

BallerT1215
05-02-2008, 12:20 AM
I say JL is overrated for the simple fact of when he plays against a fast teams outside of the Big10, he seems to just disappear. Non-Factor. If you watched the last 2 NC games, can you really disagree with that statement?

I do hate on the Big10, I think it is a crock - Might as well put that out there right now. But I still like a lot of players from certain teams in the Big 10 - But JL is just completely overrated IMO.

^ That is based on where he will be taken - I'm not saying he isn't a good player but I am saying he isn't what some people try to make him out to be.

The Worldofx
05-02-2008, 01:48 AM
I think some here are overrating Rey's natural instincts. They're getting better but still developing, Rey's taken several years to learn to control his gaps and not overrun an occasional play. He's not quite as natural a LB in terms of instincts and coverage as his understudy Chris Galippo is. However, Rey is indeed a monster with legitimate upside, a lot like Junior Seau was at SC. Remember, it wasn't until his final year at SC that Junior started to put it all together and become consistently dominant.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-02-2008, 02:11 AM
I'm not a big Laurinaitis fan. In fact, I think he is miles and miles from the sort of linebacker AJ Hawk was at Ohio State. That said, I take James before I take Maualuga right now.

Maualuga is a very physical guy, but he has tons of issues in everydown play. People like to focus on the potential, but Maualuga, as of right now, just doesn't get the position like you want a potential top 20 pick to. He's not anywhere near the instinctive or athletic level of a Patrick Willis.

Sniper
05-02-2008, 06:03 AM
I'm not a big Laurinaitis fan. In fact, I think he is miles and miles from the sort of linebacker AJ Hawk was at Ohio State. That said, I take James before I take Maualuga right now.

Maualuga is a very physical guy, but he has tons of issues in everydown play. People like to focus on the potential, but Maualuga, as of right now, just doesn't get the position like you want a potential top 20 pick to. He's not anywhere near the instinctive or athletic level of a Patrick Willis.

Yes but dear Lord, that closing speed....

keylime_5
05-02-2008, 10:33 AM
I say JL is overrated for the simple fact of when he plays against a fast teams outside of the Big10, he seems to just disappear. Non-Factor. If you watched the last 2 NC games, can you really disagree with that statement?

I do hate on the Big10, I think it is a crock - Might as well put that out there right now. But I still like a lot of players from certain teams in the Big 10 - But JL is just completely overrated IMO.

^ That is based on where he will be taken - I'm not saying he isn't a good player but I am saying he isn't what some people try to make him out to be.

well he had 18 tackles vs LSU despite making a few bad plays in coverage that game and not having a great night, and vs. Texas he has the ibiggest game of his career possibly. Washington is the same story. So it really doesn't matter who he plays, in fact his two worst games were probably PSu and Illinois.

And as far as Rey's tackle totals, it's not b/c he has Rivers and Cushing next to him. JL had 100+ tackle Marcus Freeman on one side, and when they weren't in the nickel (which wasn't that often) they had 60+ tackle Larry Grant on the other. If Rey was more disciplined like I said he'd get the gaudy stats too.

Byrd430
05-02-2008, 10:57 AM
I don't see how Laurinatis is overrated. He is a solid, complete football player and the best linebacker in the game. He is athletic, covers sideline to sideline, is good against the run, and good dropping into coverage. COMPLETE I think is the one word you can use to best describe him.

Rey Maualuga though has some learning to do, but he has all the physical tools to get the job done and dominate a game. While I love smart, disciplined football players more than a physical beast who makes mistakes, I think Maualuga will end up being taken beforehand.

The reasoning is that certain things can be taught, but the big hits and dominating frame of mind that he brings can't be. I'd rather have Laurinatis over Maualuga, but think that Maualuga will be taken first.

Also just wanna say I agree with the defense that a team runs having a lot to do with how a player will fit in.

YAYareaRB
05-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Laurinaitis played between two exellent players also in Marcus Freeman who had a 100+ tackle season and Larry Grant Who had a 60+ tackle season
also cushing hardly played last season due to injury so dont give me that crap that rey lost tackles because he had better teammates.

Rivers > Freeman
Cushing > Grant

draftguru151
05-02-2008, 11:35 AM
I don't see how Laurinatis is overrated. He is a solid, complete football player and the best linebacker in the game. He is athletic, covers sideline to sideline, is good against the run, and good dropping into coverage. COMPLETE I think is the one word you can use to best describe him.

Rey Maualuga though has some learning to do, but he has all the physical tools to get the job done and dominate a game. While I love smart, disciplined football players more than a physical beast who makes mistakes, I think Maualuga will end up being taken beforehand.

The reasoning is that certain things can be taught, but the big hits and dominating frame of mind that he brings can't be. I'd rather have Laurinatis over Maualuga, but think that Maualuga will be taken first.

Also just wanna say I agree with the defense that a team runs having a lot to do with how a player will fit in.

I'm pretty sure that's how.

Sniper
05-02-2008, 03:52 PM
And as far as Rey's tackle totals, it's not b/c he has Rivers and Cushing next to him. JL had 100+ tackle Marcus Freeman on one side, and when they weren't in the nickel (which wasn't that often) they had 60+ tackle Larry Grant on the other. If Rey was more disciplined like I said he'd get the gaudy stats too.

Please don't insult Brian Cushing and Keith Rivers by putting Marcus Freeman and Larry Grant in the same breath as them. That's embarrassing. Laurinaiitis gets all his tackles from jumping onto the pile at the end of the play.

Bengals1690
05-02-2008, 04:52 PM

i dont see your point. JL had around 20 tackles against LSU if my memory is correct.

Bengals1690
05-02-2008, 04:53 PM
and how the hell is Rey more athletic than JL?

Sniper
05-02-2008, 04:58 PM
i dont see your point. JL had around 20 tackles against LSU if my memory is correct.

Yes but number of tackles isn't a great measure of productivity. Many of Laurinaitis' tackles came WAY behind the LOS and he was blasted off the ball several times.

Bengals1690
05-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Yes but number of tackles isn't a great measure of productivity. Many of Laurinaitis' tackles came WAY behind the LOS and he was blasted off the ball several times.

o well, i was having trouble seeing bc i ws crying so hard.

Sniper
05-02-2008, 05:07 PM
o well, i was having trouble seeing bc i ws crying so hard.

A legit excuse...I actually thought OSU was going to win...then again I thought they would rape Florida too. I've incorrectly predicted the last 6 NCs though, so I should probably stop.

keylime_5
05-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Please don't insult Brian Cushing and Keith Rivers by putting Marcus Freeman and Larry Grant in the same breath as them. That's embarrassing. Laurinaiitis gets all his tackles from jumping onto the pile at the end of the play.

# of tackles has next to nothing to do with who is next to you on the field, AJ Hawk played with Bobby Carpenter, Donte Whitner, Anthony Schlegel, etc. and still got his 120-140 tackles when at Ohio State. Dan Connor and Paul Posluszny both put up big stats next to each other too. Brian Urlacher and Lance Briggs or Ray Lewis and all his teammates don't hurt each other's stats either, that is a ridiculous argument to back. Rey's tackle totals are low b/c he is not in position as often as he should be.

draftguru151
05-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Rey led USC in total tackles. USC rotates their linebackers a good amount, that's why 2 back up backers have over 40 tackles. USC's defense is entirely different than JL's comparing tackles is absolutely ridiculous. Rey has his issues with consistency but if he is on most other teams he has well over 100 tackles. Rivers had 78 tackles last year, no one had over 80, but 7 guys have over 50 and 16 had over 20 (OSU had 5 and 12).

keylime_5
05-02-2008, 07:02 PM
OSU also was up there in time of possession and our defense wasn't on the field that much. The Buckeyes played nickel most of the time last year, JL and Freeman were the only 2 'backers on the field for most of the games most of the year, with Grant being pretty much the only other guy to see the field that much. Stat arguments are usually a fallacy considering guys like McGarigle and Leman who aren't pro material go undrafted despite getting 140 tackles and guys like Demeco Ryans and Keith Rivers who only get about 75 tackles are good pro prospects.

ruthlessrussian
05-02-2008, 07:03 PM
I just cant wait for september. I mean, USC v The OSu. Rey is going to outshine JL in this game.
Im just curious to see what's going to happen when Rey and Beanie collide!

keylime_5
05-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Im just curious to see what's going to happen when Rey and Beanie collide!

they will tear a hole in the universe.

Babylon
05-03-2008, 12:59 PM
I think most inside backers are about as good as the D-line in front of them at which USC had a big advantage this past year and should next. My only concern with Rey Rey would be his off the field issues and can he be an every down player at the pro level. If he can i think he's the better prospect of the two.

AaronGrayisKing
05-03-2008, 01:31 PM
I just watched highlights of each and I've never watched anything else of either.

James Laurinaitis, to me, is not even on the same level as Rey. Laurinaitis is not impressive at all....

Like I said, I only watched highlights of both, but I think Rey will be a force in the NFL and Laurinaitis will be nothing more than a serviceable starter(only reason I say starter and not back up is that he seems to be in the right place most of the time).

Rjspartan
05-03-2008, 03:48 PM
i like maualuga better than laurinaitis

PossumBoy9
05-03-2008, 04:53 PM
I think Laurinaitis may be overrated.

I like him, but I agree.

VAfy-ya
05-04-2008, 05:28 PM
I think it depends on your defense. I actually would like Laurinaitis more as an OLB, to be honest. Mauluaga is an absolute monster. I'd much rather have him in the 3-4 though.

I second that. Laurinaitis to me translate more to OLB at the next level. Mag is a MLB, plain and simple. His natural ball-hawking skills would be hindered anywhere else. But I think they're both slightly over-rated, more so Laurinaitis. Put it like this:

AJ Hawk > Laurinaitis

Keith Rivers = Mag

sweetness34
05-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Well I saw both of them last year as an Illini fan and I'll take Rey Rey all day long.

JL is a good prospect but he hype is just way too high. He struggles with coverage, he's out of position, and I think Rey not only has more potential but he is the better player.

I watched Rey fly sideline to sideline against us picking off passes, forcing fumbles, and jacking up Juice. If he realizes his potential, holy ****.

ThePudge
05-04-2008, 07:54 PM
I love Maualuga, but the Patrick Willis and Ray Lewis comparison's have to stop. When Rey wins the Butkus, then runs a 4.37-4.38, is right near the top of the nation in tackles in consecutive seasons, and shows the incredible character of Willis, we'll talk. He has nowhere near the instincts, the production, or the athleticism to be even mentioned in the same line as a guy like Lewis or Willis.

At this point, were the draft today, I'd go Laurinaitis. I'd be shocked if he made it out of the Top 25 next year. People here have really been sleeping on his athleticism, he's going to weigh in around 6'2 1/2 240-245 at the Combine, with great physique, then probably push 30-35 in the Bench Press. He's a low 4.6 guy, some closer say even lower. He's a quick-twitch athlete, always around the ball on the field. I won't rave about his coverage skills like some others, because he makes plays on good balls to begin with, still his hands for a Linebacker are almost unmatched. He's a leader on the field, vocal and by example.

Maualuga has the higher ceiling and is much flashier to watch, he's a player that will have a highlight tape as impressive as anyone's. Still if one to watch tape today or throw the two side by side athletically, James Laurinaitis would be the one to come out victoriously. Rey has a chance to make a big move up with a good season.

art vandelay
05-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of either. I'd take Rey over JL anyday, though.

DragonFireKai
05-05-2008, 01:36 PM
they will tear a hole in the universe.

More than that, the universe will end, and it will be awesome.

VoteLynnSwan
05-05-2008, 01:41 PM
OSU also was up there in time of possession and our defense wasn't on the field that much. The Buckeyes played nickel most of the time last year, JL and Freeman were the only 2 'backers on the field for most of the games most of the year, with Grant being pretty much the only other guy to see the field that much. Stat arguments are usually a fallacy considering guys like McGarigle and Leman who aren't pro material go undrafted despite getting 140 tackles and guys like Demeco Ryans and Keith Rivers who only get about 75 tackles are good pro prospects.

using stats is a fallacy huh?

how come you came up with this nugget earlier in this thread?

well he had 18 tackles vs LSU despite making a few bad plays in coverage that game and not having a great night [...] And as far as Rey's tackle totals, it's not b/c he has Rivers and Cushing next to him. JL had 100+ tackle Marcus Freeman on one side, and when they weren't in the nickel (which wasn't that often) they had 60+ tackle Larry Grant on the other. If Rey was more disciplined like I said he'd get the gaudy stats too.

so stats don't matter when they oppose your argument... only when they support it right?

CC.SD
05-05-2008, 01:44 PM

so stats don't matter when they oppose your argument... only when they support it right?

Why bring logic into this argument? It will only spoil the fun.

keylime_5
05-05-2008, 01:59 PM

Well for one we were talking about whether the linebackers next to you on the field effect your tackle totals and then in a seperate debate I was saying that tackles aren't a good barometer for comparing players necessarily. Those two points don't contradict each other at all.

But the reason remains that Maualuga is a 70-80 tackle guy is b/c he's not in position and as technically sound as he should be in order to get the tackle totals that James has. Doesn't necessarily mean James is a better prospect or linebacker, but it's just one point into Rey's flaws. James' flaws are different, being him taking on guards and being neutralized in the run game sometimes and not being as physical as one would prefer out of a mike LB, but he is more disciplined and quicker laterally.

GermanSaint
05-05-2008, 05:35 PM
i would take jeremiah trotter over keith brooking 10 days of the week. thank you for clearing that up

art vandelay
05-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Shouldn't there be a poll for this as well?

Hwoarang
05-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Rey is a top 5 player. James top 10. That about says it all.

CJSchneider
05-06-2008, 06:58 AM
Rey is the Shiznit; He goes in the top 5 next year.

YAYareaRB
05-06-2008, 10:13 AM
I do think Rey Maualuga would be the safer pick. James Laurenaitis has a Andy Katzenmoyer vibe coming off of him, IMO. Rey is more athletic and just plays good defense. All his knocks are something that can be taught and worked on. Besides, you can't really go wrong with a SC linebacker.

keylime_5
05-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Katzenmoyer like broke a bone in his neck and had to retire after like a year and a half. I don't get why people compare him with being a big bust, I mean he was but not really b/c of his play but b/c of his injury. Same exact situation as David Pollack.

Big_Pete
05-07-2008, 09:33 PM
The whole situation is very interesting

both players have very different styles, it will remain to be seen as to how thier value goes on draft day.

A big issue is that the NFL seems to prefer faster, more athletic LBs with good coverage skills.

MLBs however good, seem to slip unless they have great speed; Curtis Lofton is a reasonable example.

It seems to me that Laurenaitis might be the top rated LB on draft day; but Melualuga may end up having a bigger impact for his NFL team.

The other issue is that LB (like safety) is a lower priority on draft day; DTs, DEs and CBs are higher priorities for teams. How these two end up could well depend on the DEs, DTs and CBs that are in the draft.

In fact I could see Brian Cushing (SLB) and Brian Orakpo (3-4 OLB) being drafted before Melualuga

Babylon
05-07-2008, 09:54 PM
The whole situation is very interesting

both players have very different styles, it will remain to be seen as to how thier value goes on draft day.

A big issue is that the NFL seems to prefer faster, more athletic LBs with good coverage skills.

MLBs however good, seem to slip unless they have great speed; Curtis Lofton is a reasonable example.

It seems to me that Laurenaitis might be the top rated LB on draft day; but Melualuga may end up having a bigger impact for his NFL team.

The other issue is that LB (like safety) is a lower priority on draft day; DTs, DEs and CBs are higher priorities for teams. How these two end up could well depend on the DEs, DTs and CBs that are in the draft.

In fact I could see Brian Cushing (SLB) and Brian Orakpo (3-4 OLB) being drafted before Melualuga

Lofton is slower and smaller than Connor so to me that pick was a bad one, who knows what they're thinking.

WCH
05-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Laurinaiitis gets all his tackles from jumping onto the pile at the end of the play.
Thank god somebody else see's this. He had only 51 solo tackles last season (which isn't bad) but a whopping 70 assisted tackles. Now it's not a bad thing, per se, getting to the ball and helping bring down the guy toting the rock. But when you are accumulating these statistics (to a shockingly large extent) by diving on a pile after the play has been made (often from several yards away), then there's a problem.

Most scouts these days are into game charting; so they'll notice this habit, and his stock will take a tumble. Especially if he has a less than stellar combine workout.

With all of that said, a lot of the time he seems to get taken out of plays due to inept DT play. That isn't his fault.

D-Rod
05-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Lofton is slower and smaller than Connor so to me that pick was a bad one, who knows what they're thinking.

Fortunately, scouts watch tape, and don't just judge players on 40 time and weight...

I'm not saying that Connor is not also a very good player - I think he was a great pickup by the Panthers - but your statement has minimal substance to it.

Anyone who watched Lofton can see that, whatever his 40 time may be, he gets to the ball and he gets there fast.

Solomon
05-12-2008, 12:38 PM
I think it will come down to the senior bowl and workouts for these two guys to seperate themselves. Since they have different strengths and weaknesses it will be difficult to evaluate the value of one of them in relation to the other until the microscope is placed on them.

I will make one prediction though, whoever of Laurinaitis or Maualuga loses out in workouts will drop out of the top 25 and another linebacker like Brandon Spikes will take their place as the second best 4-3 LB available.

Brent
05-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Rey... isnt even close for me.

RaiderNation
05-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Maualuga will go top 10
Laurinaitis will be top 20
Both i think will be good players but in the end Rey will be a multi pro bowler and all pro and James will be once or twice pro bolwer

indyfan1985
05-12-2008, 08:37 PM
The Colts are gonna trade up in the 1st round next year to get James Lauranitus!!! Just kidding, but that'd be cool if we got him.

YAYareaRB
05-12-2008, 08:41 PM
I wish we could get Maualuga to team with Patrick Willis at middle backers... Thats would be deadly!!!

indyfan1985
05-12-2008, 08:43 PM
I wish we could get Maualuga to team with Patrick Willis at middle backers... Thats would be deadly!!!

That would be deadly. Just think if the Colts got Lauranitus. With that defense already very good, Lauranitus would make them incredible.

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Rey has the higher floor and the higher ceiling(IMO).I'll take Rey everyday.

Bengals78
05-12-2008, 11:49 PM
Rey easily for me. I just don't see the nastiness in JL. Rey plays with a nasty and mean demeanor. He lookss like he is trying to kill when he hits. Laurinaitis is a very good LB but I'm not sure how he will pan out. Getting flattened a freshman QB in Tim Tebow during a National Championship game doesn't help any.