PDA

View Full Version : Brian Johnston, DE, Gardner Webb

LarryJohnson27
05-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Brian Johnson "Update: Johnston played very well in the 2008 Hula Bowl, one of the nation’s better College Football All-Star games. He didn't get an invitation to the 2008 NFL Scouting Combine, but on 8 March 2008 he dazzled scouts at his Pro Day workout. Measuring in at 6-foot-5, 274 pounds, Johnston ran his first 40-yard dash in an eye-popping 4.66 seconds. His slowest time of the day was 4.70, which is still faster than Johnston’s best time a year ago. Johnston’s 40-yard dash time during his pro day, would have been the fourth best at the recent NFL Scouting Combine for defensive ends, and the best for any lineman weighing more than 260 pounds.

His most impressive stat from the 40-yard dash came with a very strong 1.51-second time through the first 10 yards, an important time with regards to a players quickness. By comparison, Johnston's 10-yard split was the same as Arkansas running back Darren McFadden turned in at the Combine earlier this year.

He recorded an impressive 35-inch vertical leap as well, which would have ranked second among defensive linemen at the NFL Scouting Combine – and best for a player of his size.

The most impressive result overall, however, may have been Johnston’s time in the 20-yard shuttle. He turned in a 4.18-second time, which is better than any lineman at the NFL’s Scouting Combine. In fact, the 4.18-second time was faster than any running back at the event – with Illinois’ Rashard Mendenhall the only back to match that time.

A 6.96-second time in the 3-cone, was also impressive, and would rank him third if he would have went to the combine.

“I felt really good after the workout,” Johnston said. “The few scouts who stayed behind [after San Diego State’s players finished] said that it was the best workout of the day, by far, and they were impressed. My agent [Baltimore-based Tony Agnone] told me Sunday that nearly every team in the NFL had called him after getting those results. That’s encouraging for me.”"

He had 2 sacks and FF in the Hula Bowl until they started double teaming him. My question is with a guy tis big, athletic, and no charcter concerns why did he last until te 7th? Sounds like he can turn out to be a huge steal.

PACKmanN
05-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Brian Johnson "Update: Johnston played very well in the 2008 Hula Bowl, one of the nation’s better College Football All-Star games. He didn't get an invitation to the 2008 NFL Scouting Combine, but on 8 March 2008 he dazzled scouts at his Pro Day workout. Measuring in at 6-foot-5, 274 pounds, Johnston ran his first 40-yard dash in an eye-popping 4.66 seconds. His slowest time of the day was 4.70, which is still faster than Johnston’s best time a year ago. Johnston’s 40-yard dash time during his pro day, would have been the fourth best at the recent NFL Scouting Combine for defensive ends, and the best for any lineman weighing more than 260 pounds.

His most impressive stat from the 40-yard dash came with a very strong 1.51-second time through the first 10 yards, an important time with regards to a players quickness. By comparison, Johnston's 10-yard split was the same as Arkansas running back Darren McFadden turned in at the Combine earlier this year.

He recorded an impressive 35-inch vertical leap as well, which would have ranked second among defensive linemen at the NFL Scouting Combine – and best for a player of his size.

The most impressive result overall, however, may have been Johnston’s time in the 20-yard shuttle. He turned in a 4.18-second time, which is better than any lineman at the NFL’s Scouting Combine. In fact, the 4.18-second time was faster than any running back at the event – with Illinois’ Rashard Mendenhall the only back to match that time.

A 6.96-second time in the 3-cone, was also impressive, and would rank him third if he would have went to the combine.

“I felt really good after the workout,” Johnston said. “The few scouts who stayed behind [after San Diego State’s players finished] said that it was the best workout of the day, by far, and they were impressed. My agent [Baltimore-based Tony Agnone] told me Sunday that nearly every team in the NFL had called him after getting those results. That’s encouraging for me.”"

He had 2 sacks and FF in the Hula Bowl until they started double teaming him. My question is with a guy tis big, athletic, and no charcter concerns why did he last until te 7th? Sounds like he can turn out to be a huge steal.
IMO, if a double team shut him down in College or in the Hula Bowl, then OT in the NFL could easily handle him.

fischbowl
05-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Biggest steal of the draft. Should of went in the 3rd

toonsterwu
05-01-2008, 05:27 PM
I do think this was a steal. As IRC folks know, I strongly thought he would come off in the 3rd-5th area, but the perception that he was raw probably hurt him, which is odd because as the draft progressed, you would think teams would take a gamble on physical potential in this draft. But yeah, Johnston is fairly raw in all aspects, relying much more on his physical ability right now, and that was probably a factor in his fall. I think he can succeed, though. It's a bit unfair to compare him directly to Jared Allen right now, but I see hints of Jared Allen in him. I think he's a very versatile talent that can play the 5, perhaps the 3, perhaps as a 4-3 nose, 4-3 strong and open are both options, although strong is more likely.

Overall, I thought it was a helluva pick.

kmartin575
05-01-2008, 05:35 PM
IMO, if a double team shut him down in College or in the Hula Bowl, then OT in the NFL could easily handle him.

Who wouldn't a double team shut down? A player might beat a double team from time to time but more often than not 2 players focusing on 1 player are going to shut him down. That is why you have 4 players on a 4-3 defensive line. Try to double team him and Tamba Hali or Glenn Dorsey are going to make you pay.

Plus he got by in college on athleticism alone. He was able to get by with overpowering people. That obviously won't work in the NFL. His technique is raw which is one big factor for why he fell so low in the draft. But if he can develop technique he certainly has the athleticism and talent to excel.

PACKmanN
05-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Who wouldn't a double team shut down? A player might beat a double team from time to time but more often than not 2 players focusing on 1 player are going to shut him down. That is why you have 4 players on a 4-3 defensive line. Try to double team him and Tamba Hali or Glenn Dorsey are going to make you pay.

Plus he got by in college on athleticism alone. He was able to get by with overpowering people. That obviously won't work in the NFL. His technique is raw which is one big factor for why he fell so low in the draft. But if he can develop technique he certainly has the athleticism and talent to excel.

ok who was in his d-line and who was the o-line he faced in the Hula Bowl... And there are players who could beat a double team. Plus, you also said the other parts on why he fell.

BamaFalcon59
05-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Kroy Biermann is another small school defensive end to watch out for. Drafted in round five by the Falcons. Not as impressive size or speed wise as Johnston, but very, very strong and good tape.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ovNOAtJEeuY

In this one he chases down at receiver on the play at 5:03.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uvINfVI37k

LonghornsLegend
05-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Biggest steal of the draft. Should of went in the 3rd

That about summed up my post.

Cannot believe he was there in the 7th, thats a no brainer pick...And of course he goes to the Chiefs who had an amazing draft before that point anyway.

05-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Funny thing is before the draft Jared Allen was one of the guys I'd compare him to overall as a small school prospect. Damn, I'm so jealous the Chiefs got him so late.

TheGreatEscape
05-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Robert Henderson >>> Brian Johnston