PDA

View Full Version : Jay Cutler diagnosed with diabetes

BeerBaron
05-01-2008, 10:16 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/rapids/ci_9124884

type 1, that sucks. I feel bad for the guy but from that, it doesn't seem too serious and shouldn't affect his play.

Matthew Jones
05-01-2008, 10:31 PM
That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that, Cutler seems like a good guy. :/

MetSox17
05-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Damn, this is really bad. No matter how you spin it, getting diagnosed with diabetes is horrible.

I've met people that have had diabetes, and nicks and cuts that would be insignificant to most people have to be taken care of very cautiously when you have diabetes. Higher risk of infection i believe.

This sucks when you're a football player and are banged up week in and week out.

JagHombre22
05-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Damn, this is really bad. No matter how you spin it, getting diagnosed with diabetes is horrible.

I've met people that have had diabetes, and nicks and cuts that would be insignificant to most people have to be taken care of very cautiously when you have diabetes. Higher risk of infection i believe.

This sucks when you're a football player and are banged up week in and week out.

actually, Diabetes is really manageable if you know how to take care of yourself...

if he maintains his active lifestyle (which is a given) and eats right...he should be fine...

JagHombre22
05-01-2008, 10:49 PM

Diabetes kicks the **** out of your immune system...

TitleTown088
05-01-2008, 10:51 PM

Depends on which type you have. Type 2 is somewhat manageable is most cases. Type one is real serious, How old is he, 23, 24? Usually it sets in much before that hence, " juvenile diabetes". He'll have to be careful with his kidneys and injuries in his extremities, his vision will eventually be affected as well, and He'll have difficulties staying hydrated. He's going to have to be careful managing his blood sugar levels during games, and practices. When blood sugar is out of whack a diabetic is not a normal functioning person. I'd be willing to bet that he won't have much of a career now due to this, who knows though Adam Morrison is doing OK with it.I guess that's just more of an opinion of mine. Regardless, he's going to have to take excellent care of himself to play pro football.

neko4
05-01-2008, 10:54 PM
God this sucks real bad. I hope he finds a good way to manage it

Very sad :(

princefielder28
05-01-2008, 11:01 PM
That really sucks...god bless him

TitleTown088
05-01-2008, 11:14 PM
based on what, exactly? the "holy crap it's a post on nfldc about a player that isn't entirely positive" hypothesis, or maybe it's the "i don't have a bloody clue what i'm actually talking about, so i'll just randomly make a bizarre assertion and call myself skip bayless" bit?

Based on every male in my family being a diabetic, including myself. Excellent point on me not knowing **** about subject though. It's hard for a person without the disease to understand what it feels like.So, I guess that would make you the one "who dosen't have a bloody clue what they're talking about"? To think that someone life goes on find and dandy after getting diabetes is asinine. Managing diabetes, especially type one is no fun task, let alone play pro football with it.

FLORIDA PACKER
05-01-2008, 11:17 PM
That really sucks...god bless him

Ditto that man, My prayers are definitely with him, Sucks to see someone so young and promising diagnosed with this, poor guy. I

'm sure He'll give Diabetes a fight though and thoroughly kick its ass, Cutler is just one of those kind of guys, He wont let this drag him down a bit.

steelernation77
05-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Based on every male in my family being a diabetic, including myself. Excellent point on me not knowing **** about subject though. It's hard for a person without the disease to understand what it feels like.So, I guess that would make you the one "who dosen't have a bloody clue what they're talking about"? To think that someone life goes on find and dandy after getting diabetes is asinine. Managing diabetes, especially type one is no fun task, let alone play pro football with it.

Kendall Simmons has type 2 diabetes and he has had a hard time with fatigue and staying hydrated. It's especially noticeable during hotter games.

fenikz
05-01-2008, 11:24 PM
He can hang out with Wilford Brimley now
http://www.jordanmills.net/Pictures/diabeetus.jpg

TitleTown088
05-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Kendall Simmons has type 2 diabetes and he has had a hard time with fatigue and staying hydrated. It's especially noticeable during hotter games.

I'm sure it is. Every time I work out really hard or for too long I have to slam some freaking Orange juice from going into zombie mode.

dc22
05-01-2008, 11:30 PM
that's terrible
type 1 is the worst kind too

dpl85
05-01-2008, 11:39 PM
That sucks! So just to be clear he has type 1 which is considered more serious and worse? I'm sorry but I'm ignorant about diabetes.

TitleTown088
05-01-2008, 11:47 PM
That sucks! So just to be clear he has type 1 which is considered more serious and worse? I'm sorry but I'm ignorant about diabetes.
Yeah, type one is more serious, It means your body produces little or no insulin. Type two means your body basically rejects the insulin that is produced, and is manageable with medicine or a strict diet and exercise.

d34ng3l021
05-01-2008, 11:47 PM
My grandpa had diabetes. My dad has diabetes. I will most likely have diabetes in the future.

It just sucks.

BeerBaron
05-01-2008, 11:49 PM
My grandpa had diabetes. My dad has diabetes. I will most likely have diabetes in the future.

It just sucks.

ouch. im pretty much guaranteed to get glaucoma based on family history and i thought that sucked...

CC.SD
05-02-2008, 12:03 AM
That sucks. It's no joke. Manageable though.

TitleTown088
05-02-2008, 12:28 AM
i must've totally missed the part where you referenced being a pro athlete or having access to top of the line medical care at literally every point of every day. again, the fact that you, some random kid, has the same disease has utterly no bearing on jay cutler's ability to have the same disease and continue to play football with it.

Top of the line medical care can only do some much for a person with this disease...Something someone with it would know from first hand experience, not some NFLDC mod with no understanding of it. "top end medical care" can surly help, but it's not going to prevent every freaking hypoglycemia/hyperglycemia incident a diabetic has as they can be completely unpredictable. The fact that I, some random kid, with the same disease gives me a deal of bearing on it than you. How in the hell is the " top end medical" care going to help him if he takes a bad shot to one of his Kidneys?which is very serious for a diabetic. How about if he were to cut his throwing hand and it took weeks instead of days to heal correctly? Or how about for instance he breaks his foot like Rodgers and it takes forever( if ever) to heal properly?

oh, wait. my bad. you get tired if you don't have some OJ when you play sports..

Well, this comment here perfectly portrays how badly you're talking out of your ass on the subject matter... Blood sugar levels influence a diabetic a little more than " making someone a little tired". I mean, it's not like those diabetic comas are a serious deal, or the fact it's the leading cause of heart and kidney problems. Those puppies sure as **** are not important to an athlete.

I think someones just upset their little playboy could be in jeopardy and dosen't want to admit it. You can sit here and argue until carpal tunnels sets in, but any way you look at it this is not good news for the knife and his football career.

you clearly know all there is to know about the subject
Uh, I'd hope so, otherwise I'd be dead, blind, or in need of a pirate wood leg.

By the way, real classy of you to condescendingly mock my diabetes with that juice comment too. I'd love to see you live with it for a day and see how funny it was then.

Flyboy
05-02-2008, 12:48 AM
Top of the line medical care can only do some much for a person with this disease...Something someone with it would know from first hand experience, not some NFLDC mod with no understanding of it. "top end medical care" can surly help, but it's not going to prevent every freaking hypoglycemia/hyperglycemia incident a diabetic has as they can be completely unpredictable. The fact that I, some random kid, with the same disease gives me a deal of bearing on it than you. How in the hell is the " top end medical" care going to help him if he takes a bad shot to one of his Kidneys?which is very serious for a diabetic.

Well, this comment here perfectly portrays how badly you're talking out of your ass on the subject matter... Blood sugar levels influence a diabetic a little more than " making someone a little tired". I mean, it's not like those diabetic comas are a serious deal, or the fact it's the leading cause of heart and kidney problems. Those puppies sure as **** are not important to an athlete.

I think someones just uDraft Countdown Forums - Reply to Topic (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1052314)pset their little playboy could be in jeopardy and dosen't want to admit it. You can sit here and argue until carpal tunnels sets in, but any way you look at it this is not good news for the knife and his football career.

By the way, real classy of you to condescendingly mock my diabetes with that last comment too.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/pew-pew-pew.jpg

Wootylicous
05-02-2008, 01:05 AM
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/1449/watermarkrg3.jpg

LonghornsLegend
05-02-2008, 01:09 AM
I actually would prefer if this thread didn't get locked by page 3 but that seems to be where its headed with useless post...Sad to hear though, I really like Cutler and believe he can be an elite qb, hopefully this doesn't slow him down and I wish him the best...Really excited to see how him and Marshall grow.

CT Bronco Fan
05-02-2008, 01:24 AM
I posted this in the Bronco Forums,

I myself have type 2 diabetes, it's considered quite easier to manage then type 1. I really feel bad for anyone who gets type 1. I wouldn't wish type 1 diabetes upon my worst enemies. Adam Morrison has diabetes 1 and plays in the NBA, I don't follow the Bobcats too closely to really make any sort of statement if it effects his play however.

The real problem with Diabetes for athletes, especially football players is getting hit in the kidneys, or hurting a foot. A good shot to the kidneys on someone with type one could be fatal. It isn't a joke what so ever. Simple Injuries also will take much longer to heal while being diabetic. Getting nicked up now becomes a serious issue.

Diabetes is one of those things that really is hard to understand unless you go through it yourself. I personally played DT my junior year of high school and had UConn ready to offer me a scholarship to play D1 football. During the summer before my senior year I just started to be tired all the time, the doctors had no idea what was wrong with me. Finally my grandmother who has diabetes made me test my blood glucose levels on her Glucometer, my sugar was at 497.

My body deteriorated over that summer and winter, and upon the advice of my doctors I was forced to sit out my senior year, and stop playing football all together. Sadly this is more serious then Bronco fans may want it to be, I wish Jay the best and hope he has a safe road to his management of his diabetes, and hope him nothing but the best. Even if he was the QB for the raiders, he would have my deepest sympathy

GREENSMACKS
05-02-2008, 02:53 AM
actually, Diabetes is really manageable if you know how to take care of yourself...

if he maintains his active lifestyle (which is a given) and eats right...he should be fine...

could actually make him a better qb with the strict nutrition, exercise and lifestyle he'll lead.

if it was an issue i think shanny wouldve drafted a qb in the middle rounds

GREENSMACKS
05-02-2008, 02:55 AM

well i kind of liken this to magic johnson's HIV treatment, being cutler is getting first class treatment, i think it will be alot more easier to handle then say a person like yourself.

AkiliSmith
05-02-2008, 05:32 AM
I have type 1 and have absolutely no problem at all working out or being active. It's very manageable, especially at his age. As long as he loads up on carbs before the game and drinks a lot of water during, which I'm sure he already does, he'll be fine and you won't even notice a difference.

Jimmy
05-02-2008, 05:52 AM
god hates the broncos.
darrent. then damien. then brandon and his arm. now this.

DeathbyStat
05-02-2008, 05:56 AM
Kendall Simmons plays with it and he is a lineman...a more physically demanding postion.

DragonFireKai
05-02-2008, 06:07 AM
Kendall Simmons plays with it and he is a lineman...a more physically demanding postion.

Only in the joints, but when you're concerned with organ laceration, no one's more at risk than the QB. Blindside sacks take months off your lifespan.

I think people here fail to realize how complex the human body is. Just because one person can manage to play at a decent level doesn't mean a whole lot. Another person with the same affliction needs to have his leg amputated. Cutler might not notice this, he might not play another down. We just don't know how this is going to affect him. The only thing we can say definitively is that this isn't going to help him.

Thunder&Lightning
05-02-2008, 07:07 AM
It sux but with the technologie today it is very manageable if you work at it. Cutler will be fine he has good work ethic and has the money to get the technologie and care he needs.

Iamcanadian
05-02-2008, 08:27 AM
I'm a Diabetic and it won't mean squat to Cutler. Team doctors will monitor his illness very effectively. The effects of Diabetes isn't felt for 20 years even if you don't manage the illness very well. When it is managed well, you may never suffer the effects.
Cutler will be long retired before he'll ever have to worry about the illness.

BPhilb
05-02-2008, 09:48 AM
I'm type 1 also and have been for 18 years and outside of the fact I run a 5.2 40 and only weight 170 lbs I could play in the NFL. As stated above the effects probably won't be felt with Cutler until well after his playing days. The only potential issue I can see is that depression is ramant in diabectics and though it usually comes later in the disease I can only imagine what an NFL QB has to deal with on a daily basis. I'm a Chiefs fan so it's hard for me to cheer for any Bronco, but I will be hoping that Cutler succeeds with the disease and helps bring more awarness to others about it.

Brent
05-02-2008, 10:36 AM
He'll be fine.

bantx
05-02-2008, 10:53 AM
We had a diabetic on our football team, nothing slowed him down, i didnt really know that he was diabetic until i saw his machine that he carries around its about the size of a beeper and i think it tells him what his sugar level is

LonghornsLegend
05-02-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm a Diabetic and it won't mean squat to Cutler. Team doctors will monitor his illness very effectively. The effects of Diabetes isn't felt for 20 years even if you don't manage the illness very well. When it is managed well, you may never suffer the effects.

So Cutler's body is exactly the same make-up as yours? Or did you play QB with type 1 diabetes in the NFL before?

TitleTown088
05-02-2008, 02:56 PM
The effects of Diabetes isn't felt for 20 years even if you don't manage the illness very well. When it is managed well, you may never suffer the effects.
Uh, what? Effects aren't felt for 20 years? How about when someone gets high/low BS levels... Don't feel that? Sure he likely won't go blind or have his leg chopped off anytime soon but he's still going to notice it.

Also my best friend has been a type 1 diabetic for 10 years and the doctors have already told him he won't make it another ten because he dosen't take care of himself.

I guess the best way to explain it would be like asthma not because they are similiar diseases but because it tends acute and can potentially have severe immediate symptoms. They are also both manageable, especially with medicine, but you still have to be very careful.

gsorace
05-02-2008, 03:15 PM
That sucks, but he'll have the best medical treatment money can buy so he should be alright

TitleTown088
05-02-2008, 06:11 PM
way to bring up "NFLDC mod", as if i suggested that being an NFLDC mod made me any more or less knowledgeable than you.
I made the NFLDC comment because you made the random NFLDC poster comment to me... See the correlation, brah?
"he won't have much of a career due to this", which was the ridiculous statement i disagreed with in the first place. I said it was an opinion of mine. I had based it on one of my friends who had to stop playing football. Admittedly, Perhaps I stated it a bit insinuatingly.
I also said that it was possible for him to still playing... Read Adam Morrison comment?

that'd be like suggesting that calvin johnson won't have much of a career because he could potentially get hit in the knee. you list a number of scenarios that are, for the most part unlikely. do you honestly think the broncos are going to let him lapse into a diabetic coma on the sidelines by refusing to do anything whatsoever to help his blood sugar, or are you being intentionally hyperbolic to make your point seem stronger? i mean, christ, what if he tripped over terrell davis's dog in a driveway and slipped on a mcdonald's bag into his tv all at the same time? it's clear he won't have much of a career if that happens.
No, it wouldn't because Calvin Johnson having a knee injury is an " if" diabetes is a more of a " when" scenario, it cannot be eluded. He's not going to go into a coma on the sidelines... But if you knew anything about diabetes you could recognize one dosen't have to lapse into a coma to be effected. The examples I provided were simply possible scenarios which could take place ( which was reasonably obvious). It's not possible to avoid the disease all together no matter what you do, it is possible to avoid tripping over a ******* dog for the most part. Perhaps, by say, not buying one? You can't not have diabetes.

Is it uncommon to injury an organ in football? Ask Chris Simms. It is hard to injure you're throwing hand? Ask Lord Favre. How about to get dehydrated? ask Kory Stringer. These are all risks that are more highlighted by diabetes, that was my point.

It dosen't matter what kind of medical attention Jay has if HE dosen't manage it himself. If he dosen't cooperate with them correctly and manage his diet and such it dosen't make a difference if the Ponies have the Mayo clinic on staff. Sure, it's advantageous to have a group essentially watching over you if something goes wrong, but he's got to do it himself.

given that i was referencing your OWN POST about needing to slam some OJ after working out or you go into "zombie mode". you mean to tell me that if his blood sugar got completely hosed, bad things might happen?! well holy ****. again, this has absolutely nothing to do with the original
What? I said this to another user and then you saw the need to bring it into the discussion... Of course it had nothing to do with the original argument, I stated it to another user... not you... You decided to bring it in In .

argument, which was, if you haven't been paying attention, that comparing getting tired yourself after working out (or going into zombie mode, whatever tf that means), is a compeltely ridiculous and irrelevant comparison to a pro athlete. unless, of course, you have a doctor hovering over your shoulder at all times to monitor your levels and make any appropriate changes to maintain your blood sugar at a healthy level. but yeah, again. the broncos team doctors will probably let him lapse into a diabetic coma on the sideline. fantastic argument.
Well this right here showed you're talking out of your ass again. Zombie mode is a reference ( that anyone who knew jack **** about diabetes) could relate to instead of saying " being tired". When a diabetic is severely low they can't think, talk, or function. That has essentially nothing to do with the argument but it just showed how far out of your element you actually are Donnie.

Why would it be irrelevant to a pro athlete, because he plays pro sports his body is able to handle diabetes differently? Every diabetic has doctors that regularly monitor their health. However, It dosen't require a doctor to tell a diabetic whats going on with their diabetes, it's something the individual can feel themselves, easily. ( again, something anyone who knew **** about diabetes would know) . No matter who's watching over him, at some point his diabetes is going to effect him one way or another.

if you can't, i'd suggest you stop making yourself look bad.
Judging by the responses of gotten, I think you're the one who is making them self look bad.

someone already brought up magic johnson (with aids). i'd hate to do it again. What the hell does aids have to do with diabetes? Fantastic argument.

but keep making this about me mocking your disease so you can ignore the fact that i'm mocking a crap argument. Ah.... the only reason I brought it up was because it was a dick thing to say. There was a condescending shot( no pun intended) about diabetes in there and you know it.

Bottom line... yeah, he's probably not going to drop over dead on the football feild in the home opener or get his leg hacked off two seasons from now, but it's surely going to change his football career.

Xonraider
05-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Well, I know one of my friends stopped playing high school football because of diabetes type 1. He is son of the richest family in Panama and not even all of the medical treatment could help him. I am not clear what was wrong with him, but he told me he had to quit due to the diabetes.

'cuse-213
05-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Im pretty sure Ill be diagnosed with it in the future.

BamaFalcon59
05-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Finally my grandmother who has diabetes made me test my blood glucose levels on her Glucometer, my sugar was at 497.

Damn, that is crazy.

My grandma has type two and it definitely affects her. Circulation is affected, and things tend to affect her a bit longer.

But I think Cutler should be fine for the most part during his football playing career. He should have the tools around him to do that. After that, I'm not so sure.

Tampa 2 4 life
05-02-2008, 07:27 PM
http://www.jordanmills.net/Pictures/diabeetus.jpg

My grandfather had Diabetes for 15 years, it's an awful disease, but when you control your diet and take your insulin, you can still have a normal life.'

btw, I have asthma and whoever compared the two is missing a few key differences.

jayceheathman
05-03-2008, 01:38 AM
I am going to have to agree with Title Town in this argument. My girlfriend has diabetes and her dad is a doctor and that still doesnt keep her from getting really sick. Not to mention when DKA sets in it can get really bad to the point where she loses her own breath just sitting down. She also keeps a healthy diet and works out. The fact is that there is no cure for diabetes and top of the line medical care isnt going to make it go away. Not to mention its easy to get seizures when you dont keep yourself hydrated.

brat316
05-03-2008, 01:47 AM
he better protect his feet and toes

FLORIDA PACKER
05-03-2008, 01:57 AM
A sort of off topic mention here but just for those who may be interested. There is actually a potential cure in the works made from from using enzymes in the venom of a Gila Monster lizard. I've written a few papers on the topic, very interesting stuff, they've already made a derivative of it that helps control blood sugar, and if the progress continues as planned there could be a potential cure in the not so distant future :).

Jimmy
05-03-2008, 06:52 AM
Wow. According to an interview with BroncosTV Cutler lost so much weight (unaware) he played his last game against Minnesota at 202 LBS. (His playing weight is 233)

he played the entire last quarter of the season with no energy, and still put up great numbers. he says that now he has his insulin he feels 100 times better.

BPhilb
05-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Wow. According to an interview with BroncosTV Cutler lost so much weight (unaware) he played his last game against Minnesota at 202 LBS. (His playing weight is 233)

he played the entire last quarter of the season with no energy, and still put up great numbers. he says that now he has his insulin he feels 100 times better.

I was 15 when I was diagnosed. I weighed about 120 lbs before I got sick and weighed 75 lbs about 2 weeks later when I was finally diagnosed. My friends could put there hands around my thighs easy. I also was extremely tired. That's amazing he was able to perform at any level during this.

Bucs_Rule
05-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Where would he have been drafted if he was diagnosed before the draft?

bantx
05-03-2008, 02:52 PM
thats a dumb question....

TitleTown088
05-03-2008, 08:47 PM

How the heck does the Ponies medical staff and Cutler himself let a problem like that linger this long? How do they not notice him losing 30 pounds, and why didn't Cutler say anything of his health problems?

neko4
05-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Did he put the weight back up? One of the big selling points of cutler was his strength and bulk

BeerBaron
05-03-2008, 09:28 PM
How the heck does the Ponies medical staff and Cutler himself let a problem like that linger this long? How do they not notice him losing 30 pounds, and why didn't Cutler say anything of his health problems?

the weight loss should have been a good indicator IMO but if no one noticed that...you gotta think, guys don't like to tell people that they have problems. especially big tough football players

DragonFireKai
05-04-2008, 03:16 PM
And most players tend to lose weight over the course of a season. For someone his size, dropping 10-15 lbs by the end of the season is common, dropping 30 is unusual, but not unheard of.