PDA

View Full Version : Post Draft Tidbits

49ersfan_87
05-02-2008, 02:39 AM
Does anyone have any Post-Draft Tidbits? You know, things revealed after the draft about where your favorite (or any other team) would go with any of their picks? I only have one i know, and its about the 49ers.

On one of the blogs run by a very reliable 49ers beat writer (Matt Maiocco), he said the remaining players on the 49ers big board at 29 were Balmer, Merling, and Lofton. So if Balmer was gone, i think Merling or Lofton would be a 49er.

So, anyone else have some post-draft reveals?

d34ng3l021
05-02-2008, 02:43 AM
Apparently the Ravens called St. Louis thinking about a trade up. St. Louis called Atlanta and asked to swap picks + give them a 2nd. Atlanta called their bluff.

If Atlanta had not taken Matt Ryan, they would have taken Glenn Dorsey, and then traded up for Chad Henne.

BPhilb
05-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Scott Linehan said on Sirus radio yesterday that they had red falgs on Dorsey's health and that they were saying otherwise trying to entice a team to trade up with them. Color me skeptical though as I think they are trying to reason for not drafting him.

Yatta!
05-02-2008, 09:53 AM
Apparently the Packers were close to making a deal that would have seen them move up for Brian Brohm. Luckily he was still availible when our pick came around anyway.

Flyboy
05-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Scott Linehan said on Sirus radio yesterday that they had red falgs on Dorsey's health and that they were saying otherwise trying to entice a team to trade up with them. Color me skeptical though as I think they are trying to reason for not drafting him.

LOL - that's called saving face.

WMD
05-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Apparently the Lions were very impressed with the 'second group' of RB's.. So much that they didn't really consider taking Jonathan Stewart or Rashard Mendenhall in Round 1. That second batch being Ray Rice, Chris Johnson, Matt Forte, and Kevin Smith. The first three were taken and the Lions felt the need to jump ahead of the Rams to draft Kevin Smith and the rest is history.

megansett56BC
05-02-2008, 12:46 PM
I read in the Boston Globe that the Patriots had Shawn Crable on the phone and were about to draft him 69th when the Chargers offer for the pick (used for Jacob Hester) came in. They kept him on hold after that and then drafted him 78th. I imagine it must have been an awkward phone call after that trade came in. Glad it worked out though.

A Perfect Score
05-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Apparently the Lions were very impressed with the 'second group' of RB's.. So much that they didn't really consider taking Jonathan Stewart or Rashard Mendenhall in Round 1. That second batch being Ray Rice, Chris Johnson, Matt Forte, and Kevin Smith. The first three were taken and the Lions felt the need to jump ahead of the Rams to draft Kevin Smith and the rest is history.

i really like the kevin smith pick for the lions...i think he can become a solid starter adn take about 70% of the carries while giving the other ones to tatum bell, a good compliment

Geo
05-02-2008, 01:05 PM
I think I would have liked the Lions drafting Rice in the 2nd and then either Dizon or Wheeler in the 3rd. I'm not sure about Kevin Smith, he seems a bit boom-or-bust to me, whereas Ray to me is a potential #1. Like Forte, who my guess is the Lions absolutely wanted to draft in the 2nd round ... but the Bears thought highly of him as well and took him with the previous pick. Smith might make it though, maybe more so if they really go to a power-running style. They've got some of the OL to do it, with Bachus at LT, Cherilus at RT, and 07 draft pick Manny Ramirez at RG.

Also, I wonder if the Colts would have indeed drafted Cliff Avril in the 3rd round. Because obviously the Lions thought so, maybe Marinelli knew Tony Dungy well enough to suspect it, as they purposefully traded up to the pick right before the Colts to draft Avril. Good pick by the Lions there, if they keep him at DE, and the Colts made off with Wheeler so I can't say I was disappointed.

BananaSlug
05-02-2008, 01:17 PM
The Eagles were looking at Brandon Albert or Chris Williams... but apparently we're surprised when the Bears picked Williams... they knew that Chiefs would take Albert at 17, so they called the Cardinals about moving up... the Cardinals declined because they weren't sure their guy would be there at 19... the Cardinals then apparently told the Chiefs, so the Chiefs called the Lions when they were up to swap picks... the Eagles then called the Lions but the deal was getting done with the Chiefs...

Then the Eagles were prepared to take Aqib Talib or Jeff Otah when the Panthers called...

proshoota25
05-02-2008, 01:19 PM
apparently the patriots had called dallas to move up to get cornerback zach bowman, and had a deal in place. the problem though was that chicago took bowman with the pick right before dallas (fifth round).

keylime_5
05-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Beau Bell who the Browns took with the 5th pick of the fourth round was the 35th overall player on their draft board. Talk about getting your guy.

BTW, good idea for a thread.

Flyboy
05-02-2008, 02:05 PM
The Saints had a first-round grade on Carl Nicks.

pete_norm
05-02-2008, 03:00 PM
It seems Tyrell Johnson was number 17 on the Vikings' board. That's why they traded up and got him with the 43rd pick.

SFbear
05-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Bears were considering taking QB JD Booty at the 4th round pick but because it was unanimously felt that safety Steltz was a potential starter took him instead. Booty almost lasted to their 5th round pick but the Vikings traded up and pounced on him.

d34ng3l021
05-02-2008, 04:25 PM
They made a Booty call, and Booty was theirs. I wonder why other teams didnt make Booty calls.

Sniper
05-02-2008, 05:10 PM
The Eagles were looking at Brandon Albert or Chris Williams... but apparently we're surprised when the Bears picked Williams... they knew that Chiefs would take Albert at 17, so they called the Cardinals about moving up... the Cardinals declined because they weren't sure their guy would be there at 19... the Cardinals then apparently told the Chiefs, so the Chiefs called the Lions when they were up to swap picks... the Eagles then called the Lions but the deal was getting done with the Chiefs...

Then the Eagles were prepared to take Aqib Talib or Jeff Otah when the Panthers called...

Thank the Lord we didn't take Talib or Otah

Paranoidmoonduck
05-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Oakland had McFadden atop its board for almost an entire month prior to the draft, and apparently that was the independent decision of both Kiffin and Davis. When the Jets made calls to St. Louis, trying to move up for Chris Long (allegedly), Oakland themselves made a call, fearing that the Jets were trying to move up to get a lock on McFadden.

d34ng3l021
05-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Damn the Raiders for messing up my mock. Every single mock I had them with Darren McFadden because he is the type of guy Davis would covet and he is a perfect scheme fit. Then on my last mock, I gave them Dorsey. :(

toonsterwu
05-02-2008, 06:37 PM

The rumor I heard pre-draft suggested that it wasn't necessarily his current health, but rather how he would hold up playing on turf. It is a fair question, but in the end, I think Devaney or Shaw made the final call. Probably Devaney.

LonghornsLegend
05-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Dallas was going to trade up for James Hardy in the 2nd, but couldn't find the right partner or ammo, this was reported so there is truth to it...We were looking at him more then Sweed or Thomas, and wanted to make a move up but the pieces never fell together, definately news I didn't want to hear because I really like Hardy.

Geo
05-02-2008, 06:47 PM
From a draft day blog of prospects, including Mike Hart in particular: (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBN_NFL_DRAFT_WEBLOG?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2008-04-26-14-33-47)

I knew Cleveland liked me. Cleveland called, figuring nobody was going to draft me, and said they would make me a priority free agent and would guarantee I'd make the team. Miami said basically the same thing.

Then, Indianapolis called and said, 'We're taking you.'

vinivedivichi
05-02-2008, 06:56 PM
-Per Jeff Ireland (Miami GM), the Dolphins a couple of timesjust missed the guy they were targeting by a couple of picks...

-Apparently St. Louis called Henne and told him they were trading back into the first round to pick him - It's obvious STL didn't have their eye on Henne as they skipped on him when he was available @ 33, but speculation is that they wanted to make the fins think they were after Henne to increase the chances that the fins take Henne @32 so Merling would fall to them...seems farfetched.

UncleHulka
05-02-2008, 07:53 PM
The Chargers were targeting Duane Brown at #27. (http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080428-9999-1s28chargers.html)

Thread Killer
05-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Sometimes, common sense should be used and we should not be fooled by everything we see or hear.

1) On draft day, the Rams GM said they never called Chad Henne. Said they later found out that someone played a pratical joke on him.

Makes sense: They just gave Bulger a huge contract last year.

2) Rams were never going to draft Glenn Dorsey. They were one of the teams that had medical questions on him. Anyone else notice that the guy that broke the story about the medical concerns post-combine was St. Louis' own Howard Balzer.

Makes sense: Last year they tried Adam Carriker at NT only to later discover that they believed his best fit was 3-Tech. They made this clear during last season.

UncleHulka
05-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Sometimes, common sense should be used and we should not be fooled by everything we see or hear.

1) On draft day, the Rams GM said they never called Chad Henne. Said they later found out that someone played a pratical joke on him.

Makes sense: They just gave Bulger a huge contract last year.

2) Rams were never going to draft Glenn Dorsey. They were one of the teams that had medical questions on him. Anyone else notice that the guy that broke the story about the medical concerns post-combine was St. Louis' own Howard Balzer.

Makes sense: Last year they tried Adam Carriker at NT only to later discover that they believed his best fit was 3-Tech. They made this clear during last season.

I don't disagree, but don't they still need to stop the run? Oh, btw, were you a regular at FFTodayForums? I recognize the name.

Thread Killer
05-02-2008, 10:26 PM
I don't disagree, but don't they still need to stop the run? Oh, btw, were you a regular at FFTodayForums? I recognize the name.

Never heard of FFTodayForums.

Rams lack of pass rush far exceed any run defense woes. Besides, Long helps both.

Flyboy
05-02-2008, 11:22 PM
The Rams may have never been serious about drafting Dorsey, but the front office was obviously split til the pick was made.

Tampa 2 4 life
05-02-2008, 11:25 PM
The Buccaneers were ready to pick otah, reportedly.

LonghornsLegend
05-02-2008, 11:28 PM
The Buccaneers were ready to pick otah, reportedly.

What happened to Mike Jenkins being the pick? Smokescreen, change of heart at the last minute? I personally feel Talib was the better fit and better pick, but Jenkins being the hometown guy, and somebody they were high on it was a bit of a surprise.

Flyboy
05-03-2008, 12:07 AM
What happened to Mike Jenkins being the pick? Smokescreen, change of heart at the last minute? I personally feel Talib was the better fit and better pick, but Jenkins being the hometown guy, and somebody they were high on it was a bit of a surprise.

That just came off as a big smokescreen to me.

bam bam
05-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Apparently the Ravens called St. Louis thinking about a trade up.

They called, but immediately moved on to plan B after St Louis wanted their 1st, 2nd, and 4th. The talks were never serious.

And the Ravens were on the phone and going to take the TE Stevens in the 3rd, but the Titans took him the pick before. So they landed Zbikowski instead.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-03-2008, 12:36 AM

All I ever personally heard connecting the two teams was a very positive comment from Monte Kiffin, but maybe there was more out there I wasn't aware of. Most people thought that Talib's ball skills and ability to read the passer in zone made him a better fit.