PDA

View Full Version : 2005-2008 QB Rankings

foozball
05-03-2008, 12:04 AM
As prospects, how would all the 1st round QB's rank from 2005-2008?

Alex Smith
Aaron Rodgers
Jason Campbell

Vince Young
Matt Leinart
Jay Cutler

Jamarcus Russell
Brady Quinn

Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco

djp
05-03-2008, 12:09 AM

Alex Smith
Aaron Rodgers
Jason Campbell

Vince Young
Matt Leinart
Jay Cutler

Jamarcus Russell
Brady Quinn

Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco

Vince Young
JaMarcus Russell
Matt Ryan
Jay Cutler
Brady Quinn
Matt Leinart
Aaron Rodgers
Alex Smith
Joe Flacco
Jason Campbell

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-03-2008, 12:09 AM
As prospects I would go like this.

1. JaMarcus Russell
2. Vince Young
3. Brady Quinn
4. Matt Leinart
5. Jason Campbell
6. Jay Cutler
7. Aaron Rodgers
8. Matt Ryan
9. Joe Flacco
10. Alex Smith

Race for the Heisman
05-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Vince Young
JaMarcus Russell
Matt Ryan
Jay Cutler
Matt Leinart
Brady Quinn
Alex Smith
Jason Campbell
Joe Flacco
Aaron Rodgers

Paranoidmoonduck
05-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Based on my feelings at the time of each respective draft...

1. JaMarcus Russell
2. Vince Young
3. Jay Cutler
4. Matt Ryan
5. Aaron Rodgers
6. Brady Quinn
7. Matt Leinart
8. Alex Smith
9. Trent Edwards
10. Brian Brohm
11. Jason Campbell
12. Joe Flacco

TheGreatEscape
05-03-2008, 01:12 AM
This isn't where I thought their stock was, but it's who I personally liked each.

1. Jay Cutler
Simply because he's had the highest ceiling of any QB I thought was ready to start from day one. I loved everything about him physically and thought that his ability to battle on an outmanned Vandy team was incredible.
2. Matt Ryan
again he's ready to start early and take command of that offense. I think he'll be a great leader for the Falcons one day and early on he'll contribute if the oline holds up, if not he'll contribute less.

3. Vince Young
While he has a very long way to go as a passer and he maybe dumb ass hell, but he is a guy you want with the ball in his hands if you're down late. He's still got to get a lot better in the pocket and make a decision quicker when he's scrambling.

4. Brady Quinn
I think there's a big drop off after those three for me because I think none of the rest of these guys will be able to get as much out of their teams unless there's a good fit and that gets messy, I.e. Leinart will probably succeed in Arizona just because he's in a situation where Kurt Warner is having success. Anyways next would probably be Brady Quinn, he's got accuracy issues and is inconsistent with his decision making and throws but if you get him to play within himself and take what the defense is giving him he'll become a very good distributer.

5. JaMarcus Russell
He's really more like 4b because he has the tools to be a great distributer but I think he's never going to be the guy that is able to make his teammates better. He was a little Lazy at LSU and lacked the killer instinct to drive his team to the next level.

6. Alex Smith incredible tools, incredibly raw and just too far away from being able to start but if you keep him on the bench behind a solid vet and you'll strike gold. Pity the 49ers haven't given the time to adjust to the NFL, 4 OCs in 4 years and a horrible OL to boot.

7. Joe Flacco
Not incredible fond of any of the other guys cause i don't think there's any chance any of them become elite. Flacco though can as long as he can sit and gel with his team/system for a year. But he has the arm, the release the solid feet and experience leading a team to one day become an elite QB.

8. Jason Cambell in the right situation can be very effective although I doubt he's ever able to be the one to carry his team to he next level, he seemed to content to just be a piece of the puZle at Auburn instead of the centerpiece of the puzzle.

9. Aaron Rodgers
Cal QB seemed like a Jeff Garcia level guy, meaning good enough to take a very good team to the playoffs, but not good enough to take a good team to a superbowl.

10. Matt Leinart
He's like Rodgers in book no chance to lead but a guy who can be a good piece on a powerhouse O. Luckily he landed in a great situation if he's gunna make it Arizona was the best fit for him.

Caddy
05-03-2008, 01:34 AM
My Personal Rankings of the First Round QB's.

1. Matt Leinart
2. Vince Young
3. Brady Quinn
4. Jamarcus Russell
5. Alex Smith
6. Matt Ryan
7. Aaron Rodgers
8. Jay Cutler
9. Jason Campbell
10. Joe Flacco

Yatta!
05-03-2008, 05:36 AM
1. Matt Leinart
2. Vince Young
3. Brady Quinn
4. Jamarcus Russell
5. Jay Cutler
6. Alex Smith
7. Aaron Rodgers
8. Matt Ryan
9. Joe Flacco
10. Jason Campbell

Michigan
05-03-2008, 05:48 AM
1. JaMarcus Russell (best QB prospect since Ryan Leaf, IMO)
2. Matt Leinart
3. Vince Young
4. Jay Cutler
5. Matt Ryan
6. Alex Smith
7. Jason Campbell
8. Aaron Rodgers
9. Brady Quinn
10. Joe Flacco

WMD
05-03-2008, 06:08 AM
1. Brady Quinn
2. Vince Young
3. JaMarcus Russell
4. Jay Cutler
5. Jason Campbell
6. Aaron Rodgers
7. Alex Smith
8. Matt Leinart
9. Matt Ryan
10. Joe Flacco

Something like that, anyways..

Iamcanadian
05-03-2008, 06:39 AM
It takes 5 years to assess drafts nevermind QB's. It is impossible to know which of these QB's will breakout, they are only in at most their 4th year(a year where a breakout is still very possible = Eli) or 3rd, or 2nd or just rookies.

MaxV
05-03-2008, 07:47 AM
1. Vince Young
2. JaMarcus Russell
3. Jay Cutler
4. Matt Leinart
5. Brady Quinn
6. Matt Ryan
7. Aaron Rodgers
8. Joe Flacco
9. Jason Campbell
10. Alex Smith

Sportsfan486
05-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Jamarcus Russell *Pros: Size, mobility, arm strength, accuracy. Full package talent wise. Cons: Not sure he has that IT factor, never really dominated.*
Aaron Rodgers *Pros: Throwing motion, arm strength, accuracy, mobility. Cons: Height*
Jay Cutler *Pros: Size, arm strength, accuracy, mobility. Cons: IT factor*

Brady Quinn *Pros: Size, arm strength, leadership. Cons: Accuracy*
Matt Ryan *Pros: QB Intelligence, feel for the game, leadership. Cons: Strength/Accuracy underwhelming*

Alex Smith *Pros: Mobility, accuracy. Cons: Style of offense, deep throws*
Matt Leinart *Pros: Decent across the board. Cons: Arm strength and mobility*

Jason Campbell *Pros: Mobility Cons: Delivery and ability to pass while utilizing mobility*
Joe Flacco *Pros: Arm Strength Cons: Level of competition, style of offense and mobility*

Vince Young *Pros: Mobility Cons: Is not good throwing a football*

Campbell and Flacco weren't worth 1st round picks imo. I thought they were definitely better suited for round 2 or even early 3. Vince Young was just not a good QB prospect, imo. More of a second day "hope-we-can-turn-him-into-a-FB" sort of guy. Not a good passer at all. This was all gut feelings aside, otherwise the list would only be Rodgers, Cutler, Quinn. Only three I'd want on my team.

First category are my elite prospects, 2nd is great, 3rd is good, 4th is decent, and 5th is bad. Quinn was close to being elite but I couldn't bring myself to name someone with serious accuracy issues amongst elite QB prospects.

And for kicks.. how I actually think they'll rank as players now that they've all been drafted.
1. Rodgers *Groomed slowly, great talent around him*
2. Brady Quinn *Integrated slowly, great offensive talent*
3. Jay Cutler *Still needs to improve but decent so far*
4. Vince Young *Fits what they're trying to do, still a bad passer*
5. All the rest. Flops.

Thunder&Lightning
05-03-2008, 10:22 AM
1. Vince Young
2. Matt Leinhart
3. JaMarcus Russell
4. Jay Cutler
5. Brady Quinn
6. Matt Ryan
7. Jason Campbell
8. Alex Smith
9. Aaron Rodgers
10. Joe Flacco

neko4
05-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Jamarcus Russell
Brady Quinn
Vince Young
Jay Cutler
Alex Smith
Matt Leinart
Aaron Rodgers
Matt Ryan
Jason Campbell
Brian Brohm
Joe Flacco

Staubach12
05-03-2008, 10:28 AM
1. JaMarcus Russell
2. Jay Culter
3. Matt Leinart
4. Brady Quinn
5. Vince Young
6. Matt Ryan
7. Aaron Rogers
8. Joe Flacco
9. Jason Campbell
10. Alex Smith

I was not high on Vince at all as a prospect.

toonsterwu
05-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Relative to how I had them graded as prospects in their draft year, not how I think they'll do as pros.

Tier 1

1. Jamarcus Russell - The upside was enormous, and he had productivity in college. Certainly needed work, but too much talent.

2. Jay Cutler - I loved him back then, and I still love him now. He had the entire package, arm strength, leadership, and the projectable accuracy for the next level.

Those two are on a level of there own in terms of how I graded them as a prospect.

Then there is

Tier 2

3. Matt Ryan - Outside of a good, but not great arm, and his interceptions, there weren't nearly as many warts as people thought. High floor.

4. Vince Young - Could I put Vince ahead? Perhaps. People had this idea that I didn't like Vince. That wasn't the case. I was a big fan ... just thought that he had to go to an offense that was fit for him, and I didn't think that was Norm's.

5. Matt Leinart - Not much separates Leinart and Ryan to be honest. Fairly similar, although Ryan has a better "feel", IMO, as a prospect.

6. Alex Smith - The last one in tier 2, Smith wasn't nearly as bad as some made it out to be, as he saw the planes of the field well. Probably behind 3-5, although it's possible that he's ahead of Leinart. People forget that in 2005, there were a lot of scouts that suggested that Smith would've gone ahead of Leinart anyways, had Leinart chosen to come out.

Tier 3

7. Joe Flacco - Loved Joe. Has all the tools, but needs a lot of work.

8. Jason Campbell - There were a lot of indications that, in 2005, that a lot of teams had Jason ahead of Aaron.

9. Brady Quinn - Never nearly as good as the hype. I guess a case could be made for him at 7, but the more you watched of him, the more his value plummeted.

10. Aaron Rodgers - Heck, he may end up being better than a lot of guys ahead (great situation), but this is relative to how I had them as prospects. And there were a lot of questions on Rodgers. A lot.

theMadStork
05-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Jamarcus Russell
Vince Young
Aaron Rodgers
Jay Cutler
Brady Quinn
Matt Leinart
Brian Brohm
Matt Ryan
Alex Smith
Jason Campbell
Joe Flacco

i always have thought Rodgers was a much better QB than Smith and I think this year, it finally will be proven. Also I can't figure out why Brohm is overlooked so much. Packers are loaded at QB

princefielder28
05-03-2008, 12:54 PM
1. Vince Young
2. Brady Quinn
3. Matt Leinart
4. Jamarcus Russell
5. Jay Cutler
6. Aaron Rodgers
7. Matt Ryan
8. Alex Smith
9. Jason Campbell
10. Joe Flacco

Shane P. Hallam
05-03-2008, 12:56 PM

Alex Smith
Aaron Rodgers
Jason Campbell

Vince Young
Matt Leinart
Jay Cutler

Jamarcus Russell
Brady Quinn

Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco

As PROSPECTS (not based at all on how they have done,)

1. Matt Leinart
2. JaMarcus Russell
3. Vince Young
4. Alex Smith
5. Brady Quinn
6. Matt Ryan
7. Jay Cutler
8. Aaron Rodgers
9. Jason Campbell
10. Joe Flacco

draftguru151
05-03-2008, 01:07 PM
It takes 5 years to assess drafts nevermind QB's. It is impossible to know which of these QB's will breakout, they are only in at most their 4th year(a year where a breakout is still very possible = Eli) or 3rd, or 2nd or just rookies.

Good thing this thread has nothing to do with that.

05-03-2008, 01:16 PM
1. JaMarcus Russell
2. Jay Cutler
3. Brady Quinn
4. Vince Young
5. Matt Ryan
6. Matt Leinart
7. Aaron Rodgers
8. Jason Campbell
9. Joe Flacco
10. Alex Smith

TheGreatEscape
05-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Relative to how I had them graded as prospects in their draft year, not how I think they'll do as pros.

Tier 1

1. Jamarcus Russell - The upside was enormous, and he had productivity in college. Certainly needed work, but too much talent.

2. Jay Cutler - I loved him back then, and I still love him now. He had the entire package, arm strength, leadership, and the projectable accuracy for the next level.

Those two are on a level of there own in terms of how I graded them as a prospect.

Then there is

Tier 2

3. Matt Ryan - Outside of a good, but not great arm, and his interceptions, there weren't nearly as many warts as people thought. High floor.

4. Vince Young - Could I put Vince ahead? Perhaps. People had this idea that I didn't like Vince. That wasn't the case. I was a big fan ... just thought that he had to go to an offense that was fit for him, and I didn't think that was Norm's.

5. Matt Leinart - Not much separates Leinart and Ryan to be honest. Fairly similar, although Ryan has a better "feel", IMO, as a prospect.

6. Alex Smith - The last one in tier 2, Smith wasn't nearly as bad as some made it out to be, as he saw the planes of the field well. Probably behind 3-5, although it's possible that he's ahead of Leinart. People forget that in 2005, there were a lot of scouts that suggested that Smith would've gone ahead of Leinart anyways, had Leinart chosen to come out.

Tier 3

7. Joe Flacco - Loved Joe. Has all the tools, but needs a lot of work.

8. Jason Campbell - There were a lot of indications that, in 2005, that a lot of teams had Jason ahead of Aaron.

9. Brady Quinn - Never nearly as good as the hype. I guess a case could be made for him at 7, but the more you watched of him, the more his value plummeted.

10. Aaron Rodgers - Heck, he may end up being better than a lot of guys ahead (great situation), but this is relative to how I had them as prospects. And there were a lot of questions on Rodgers. A lot.

I would swap Leinart and Quinn, because I don't think Leinartwill excells as a leader and clutch performer, plus his arm limited the style of offenses he could fit in. Quinn never got the type of support Leinart did but tried to carry his team. That said I think Leinart landed in the perfect situation as boldin is so effective after the catch and he's got other stars to carry the team for him.

nfrillman
05-03-2008, 01:44 PM

Not trying to devolve this thread into an Eli thread, but I still don't see the rational behind saying that Eli broke out last year. I know he won the Super Bowl and played well in the playoffs, but his regular season is much larger body of work, and it strongly resembles his other seasons.

................G....CMP....ATT....PCT.....YDS...T D...INT...RAT
2004 NYG ...9 ...95 ....197 ...48.2... 1043.... 6 ....9... 55.4
2005 NYG ..16 ...294 ..557 ...52.8... 3762.. 24...17... 75.9
2006 NYG ..16 ...301 ..522 ...57.7... 3244... 24.. 18... 77.0
2007 NYG ..16 ...297 ..529 ...56.1... 3336.. 23.. 20... 73.9
Career ......57... 987 ..1805 54.7.... 11385.. 77.. 64... 73.4

I'm not sure what about his 2007 season screams breakout.

BlindSite
05-03-2008, 06:21 PM
1. Jay Cutler
2. Brady Quinn
3. Matt Ryan
4. Vince Young
5. Matt Leinart
6. Jason Campbell
7. JaMarcus Russell
8. Joe Flacco
9. Aaron Rodgers
10. Alex Smith

I would've had Trent Edwards above Flacco given the chance to put ALL QB prospects in.

rockio42
05-03-2008, 06:35 PM
1. Jay Cutler
2. Matt Leinart
3. Brady Quinn
4. JaMarcus Russell
5. Aaron Rodgers
6. Vince Young
7. Jason Campbell
8. Matt Ryan
9. Alex Smith
10. Joe Flacco