PDA

View Full Version : Ohio St at USC 9/13/08..How many first rounders?

bruschis4all
05-03-2008, 07:00 PM
I was looking at the prospects for next year. And, this game might be shaping up as an all-timer. Kind of like the 87 Florida St/Miami game for us old enough to remember. Could there be 10 1st rounders in 09 draft on the field?

USC
B.Cushing - OLB
R.Maualuga - ILB
T. Mays - S
F. Moala - DT
K.Moore - DE

OSU
M.Jenkins - CB
A.Boone - T
C Wells - RB
J.Laurinaitis - ILB
B.Robiskie - WR

Some other guys too like Boeckman, P.Turner, J.O'Neal, C.Harris, K.Ellison.
I see some guys sliding like Moore and Robiskie. Doubt if they are 1st rounders. But, some early projections have them there. Of course, injuries could factor into it. But, this seems like it's going to be a great game. Might end up 3-0 from looking at all of the defensive talent on the field.

Michigan
05-03-2008, 07:05 PM
USC:
Moala
Cushing
Maualuga
Mays

OSU:
Jenkins
Laurenaitis
Wells

Doubt any others crack 1st round.

bruschis4all
05-03-2008, 07:13 PM
USC:
s

Doubt any others crack 1st round.

Some thought A.Boone would have been a 1st rounder this year. 09 is shaping up as a good year for ol. But, I've heard nothing but good things about him.

Goatboy1717
05-03-2008, 07:25 PM
That will be a good game. Not just from a draft standpoint but from a college football fan standpoint. Two of the best teams in the nation. Looking forward to it.

Rjspartan
05-03-2008, 07:26 PM
i say 8, and 4 from each
not Robiskie or Moore

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Stafon Johnson, Mark Sanchez could both be first rounders as well

Hograiser
05-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Marcus Freeman could crack the first round If He has a good year, otherwise he will be a second rounder. And if osu's underclass men Donald Washington, Chimdi Chekwa, Robert Rose and Lawernce Wilson all declare they will have a possibility of 9 first rounders.

BaLLiN
05-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Stafon Johnson, Matt Sanchez could both be first rounders as well

Sanchez?? really the QB? i highly doubt that.

Goatboy1717
05-03-2008, 09:41 PM
I doubt it too. You also have his name wrong. His name is Mark Sanchez.

thebow305
05-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Stafon Johnson, Matt Sanchez could both be first rounders as well

If he plays up to his potential, most certainly will be. And if he decides to leave early, he could be the dark horse for the top Qb taken in the 09 draft, in a weak year for that position.

One thing is for sure, there will be loads of talent on that field for sure. I count as many as many as 9 first day guys on USC's side: Moala, Turner, Cushing, Maualuga, Mays, Moore, Ellison, Sanchez, & Johnson.

On Ohio States side I say as many as 8: Laurinaitis, Freeman, Beanie, Robiskie, Boeckman, Jenkins, Boone, & Rehring.

I'm just saying first day, and with a best-case-scenario for both teams. Obviously this will probably be a little off in the end, but the potential is certainly there. For the 1st round in '09, I will go with Mays, Cushing, Maualuga, Moala, Jenkins, Robiskie, Beanie, Laurinaitis, & Boone. So 8 total in that game would be my guess for now.

SouthernComfort
05-03-2008, 10:53 PM
DE Lawrence Wilson was expected to have a better year than Gholston in '07 and then a broken leg earned him a redshirt. So don't sleep on LW...If he has the year everyone is expecting, he could be a high pick.

thebow305
05-03-2008, 11:09 PM
DE Lawrence Wilson was expected to have a better year than Gholston in '07 and then a broken leg earned him a redshirt. So don't sleep on LW...If he has the year everyone is expecting, he could be a high pick.

Wow, forgot about him! Nice call! Doug Worthington is another name worth paying attention to.

Cribbs>Hester
05-04-2008, 01:20 AM
Coming from a Buckeye fan I believe James Laurinaitis, Chris Wells and Alex Boone are all overrated.

Chris Wells = 20-30 pick range
Laurinaitis = Late 1st/Early 2nd
Alex Boone = 2nd rounder

Malcolm Jenkins has all the tools to be a very dominate corner in the pros, however, he always takes waaaay to many Gambles and gets burnt because of it. With him it is high risk high reward on every single passing play. He never plays it safe, but he can get you that game changing turnover at any given time too. He should be pushing for a Top 10 selection probably somewhere between 8-16

Lawrence Wilson has talent to be a stud DE and first rounder, but teams will have to get over his broken leg early last season. If he proves it on the field this year teams should be all over this guy.

Brian Robiskie just makes plays. He is not a stand out athlete, overly hard working, super studious of the game, or great tech technician; however, he just makes plays. I think he should be an early to mid 2nd rounder

Chimdi Chekwa is another guy I believe has 1st round abilities on the Buckeyes. He is only a rsSophmore though, so I don't think he will come out this year.

Marcus Freeman will hit like a ton of bricks and has all the athletic ability to be a stud LB inside or outside, but for some reason he just can't put it together mentally. If he gets it down this year he might be able to slip into the same range as Laurinaitis, but more than likely late 2nd to early 4th for him.

Anderson Russell and Donald Washington are both going to get themselves noticed at the saftey position as well.

Shane P. Hallam
05-04-2008, 01:24 AM
I talked to Chim, he def. isn't coming out this year, FYI.

And Boone is a LT, you know how those guys rise come draft day...

Cribbs>Hester
05-04-2008, 03:26 AM
I talked to Chim, he def. isn't coming out this year, FYI.

And Boone is a LT, you know how those guys rise come draft day...

Awesome. I want him to stay, but I still think he has first round talent.

Offensive Tackles don't rise just because, and this year was just a freak year. Remember 2006 ?? All the offensive tackles took a big dive. Something like 5 predicted 1st rounders and we ended up having only one at 4th overall.

Alex Boone is a very good run blockers and he can dominate a bull rush type DE, but he is too heavy footed and looks lost against anyone who has any type of quickness or speed off the edge. I'd actually look for him to end up playing RT in the big leagues.

Yatta!
05-04-2008, 10:25 AM
I'll go with 8.

Wells, Laurinaitis, Jenkins and Boone.

Maualuga, Moala, Mays and Cushing.

Race for the Heisman
05-04-2008, 11:54 AM
I know up to this point the players that have been mentioned might be first rounders this year, but if you were to consider total first rounders (2010 draft and beyond) there could a ridiculous number. Guys like Cam Heyward, Everson Griffin, and Joe McKnight who started (at least in part) as freshmen on teams the normally redshirt a lot of guys could be first rounders. I'd be the first person to say it is way too early to project this but if you wanted to look at the overall scope this could be truly epic.

Babylon
05-04-2008, 12:02 PM
I'll go with 8.

I would agree with that and add Mark Sanchez as a high possibility if he comes out, which i think he will with a good year.

Sniper
05-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Coming from a Buckeye fan I believe James Laurinaitis, Chris Wells and Alex Boone are all overrated.

Yes on Laurinaitis, not really on Alex Boone and Chris Wells is a man amongst boys....Absolute stud,

Thunder&Lightning
05-04-2008, 01:28 PM
I'll go with 8.

this looks pretty good to me.

YAYareaRB
05-04-2008, 01:32 PM
My darkhorses would be Vidal Hazelton and David Ausberry. Both have all the physical tools and measurables but something isn't clicking.. was it QB play? Questions will be answered this upcoming season.

BrownsTown
05-04-2008, 01:38 PM
James Laurinaitis, Chris Wells, and Malcolm Jenkins will all be 1st rounders for the Buckeyes, Boone and Robiskie could depending on underclassmen, and watch for Marcus Freeman...he could have a big rise during the season.

407Niner
05-04-2008, 02:21 PM
My darkhorses would be Vidal Hazelton and David Ausberry. Both have all the physical tools and measurables but something isn't clicking.. was it QB play? Questions will be answered this upcoming season.

I agree, Hazelton and Ausberry dont seem to get any attention. I like the WRs Pete brings in, big physical guys for the most part.

nobodyinparticular
05-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Something that people need to remember is that "true LBs" (meaning non-3-4 edge rushers) really don't get selected very high. LBs in the 4-3 will almost ALWAYS slip. Just look at Derrick Johnson from 2005 who was supposed to be the next Derrick Brooks and go in the top 5. He ended up in the teens (#15?) with the Chiefs. I highly doubt that those 3 guys all make it in the 1st. Honestly, I would expect 1.

BrownsTown
05-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Something that people need to remember is that "true LBs" (meaning non-3-4 edge rushers) really don't get selected very high. LBs in the 4-3 will almost ALWAYS slip. Just look at Derrick Johnson from 2005 who was supposed to be the next Derrick Brooks and go in the top 5. He ended up in the teens (#15?) with the Chiefs. I highly doubt that those 3 guys all make it in the 1st. Honestly, I would expect 1.

I think they usually go around where their talent says they'll go. LB is never a big enough need that teams need to reach on a player, but usually most teams could stand to improve, so they get taken at or a tad below where they should. I mean, look and Rivers and Mayo this year. Rivers went around projected and Mayo went a bit higher. If a player's good enough to go first round, they will even if they're a LB.

DragonFireKai
05-04-2008, 07:13 PM

2 non 3-4 LBs were taken in the first round of 2008
3 in 07
4 in 06
3 in 05
3 in 04
1 in 03
2 in 02
1 in 01
5 in 00

That's an average of 3 non 3-4 LBs taken in the first round since 2000. It's entirely possible that all three go in the first round. It's also possible that other LBs rise over the course of the season.

keylime_5
05-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Wells, Jenkins, Mays, Laurinaitis, Maualuga, and Moala are certain first rounders. Cushing more likely than not will be in that mix too unless he gets hurt this year again. Boone has a great shot at going in the first considering that Duane Brown and Sam Baker did this past year and the premium teams are putting on tackles after the Joe Thomas success.

soybean
05-07-2008, 10:33 AM
here are the spring forty times taken off the SC boards:

Rey Maualuga 4.76
David Buehler 4.64
Brian Cushing 4.55
Marc Tyler 4.54
Vidal Hazelton 4.53
Will Harris 4.49
Allen Bradford 4.44
Damien Williams 4.43
Stafon Johnson 4.41
Ronald Johnson 4.36
Taylor Mays 4.26

Taylor Mays
4.23 40 (4.26 electronic)
21 bench reps @225
41’’ vertical

Brian Cushing
4.55 40
35 bench reps @225
39’’ vertical

Will Harris
4.49 40
30 bench reps @225
40’’ vertical

soybean
05-07-2008, 10:40 AM
no link, so take it with a grain of salt

tEk
05-08-2008, 02:03 AM
i already bought the tix for the game. so excited!

Mouse
05-11-2008, 07:56 AM

maybe its them

I think people at USC expect Damian Williams (Arkansas transfer) to start

eaglesfan_45
05-11-2008, 11:00 AM
There could be 7 top-10 picks:
Rey Malaluaga (sp)
Brian Cushing
Taylor Mays
Fili Moala
Malcolm Jenkins
James Laurinaitis
Chris Wells

LonghornsLegend
05-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Cushings did 35 reps on bench? Wow, I would be amazed if he pulled that off at the combines, I believe thats approaching Larry Allen territory is it not? I thought he did around 40 at the pro bowl.

nhlkdog411
05-11-2008, 12:09 PM
is it possible they use 185 at college timing days not 225?

energizerbunny
05-13-2008, 11:16 AM
is it possible they use 185 at college timing days not 225?

absolutley not. 185 is soley a highschool weight.

Cushing is a strong mother, anyone that knows anything about DeFranco training will tell you he is expected to test extremly well when he comes out.

LA bench reps @ the pro bowl is totally different from guys testing at Pro Days or Combines....

Those guys at the pro bowl do those reps after 6 months of grueling season and not being able to train properly for the event. As opposed to these Rookies or College guys who are lifting at the combine or pro days who are training for the lift and not having to worry about playing a game every week (which happers development) in the process.

energizerbunny
05-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Cushing, Moala , Mays

Wells, Jenkins and Laurinaitis

would be my guess at this point, Maulauga will probably get ripped apart and over-analyized for not being a 3 down linebacker. Boone will have to answer the questions about maintaining his weight and alcoholism.

abaddon41_80
05-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Is there a link proving that Mays runs a 4.26 electronically? I find it hard to believe someone his size is that fast but if it's true that is amazing

draftguru151
05-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Is there a link proving that Mays runs a 4.26 electronically? I find it hard to believe someone his size is that fast but if it's true that is amazing

I recall there being something about him running in the 4.2s last year as well. I doubt he runs that at the combine but I'm fairly sure the time is legit.

The Legend
05-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Patrick Turner WR USC & Marcus Freeman LB Ohio could sneak in the 1st round

keylime_5
05-19-2008, 04:40 PM
I hear Beanie ran a 4.44 today. Freeman had a 3.96 shuttle which is incredible at 251 lbs. Gonna be some serious workout warriors for us at the combine next year.

YAYareaRB
05-19-2008, 08:52 PM
I hear Beanie ran a 4.44 today. Freeman had a 3.96 shuttle which is incredible at 251 lbs. Gonna be some serious workout warriors for us at the combine next year.

3.9 shuttle is pretty impressive no matter how big you are. shows some serious agility for a linebacker which i think is just as important as the 40.

Sniper
05-19-2008, 10:31 PM
3.9 shuttle is pretty impressive no matter how big you are. shows some serious agility for a linebacker which i think is just as important as the 40.

It's more important than the 40 IMO. The 40 is a waste.

keylime_5
07-16-2008, 11:19 PM
Here's some more interesting stuff about some prospects from OSU, mainly Freeman:

Freeman ran a 2.03 in the "Flying 20" on May 15th. (JL ran a 1.99 and Gibson a 1.97).

JL commented with "My time was faster than Marcus, " with a grin.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Freeman ran a 3.96 on the shuttle run on May 19th.

"There have been four or five guys in the last four years who have been timed under four seconds in the shuttle run, and they all weigh 180 pounds, Lichter said."

....Freeman weighs 239.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last year Freeman set the team record on the hang clean with 405.

He set a NEW record of 420 on May 20th on his 3rd attempt.

"You may hear that there are guys doing 500 pound hang cleans around the country," Lichter said. "I'm not going to say if they are or they aren't. What I will say is I'll bet there are five guys in the country at the Division I level that are actually out on the field that can hang clean 420 pounds. I'll bet you could count them on one hand."

"Marcus Freeman is our pound-for-pound most explosive player."

Sounds like Marcus is gonna be a serious workout warrior. Of course JL won't be too far behind.

Shane P. Hallam
07-17-2008, 01:58 AM
Here's some more interesting stuff about some prospects from OSU, mainly Freeman:

Freeman ran a 2.03 in the "Flying 20" on May 15th. (JL ran a 1.99 and Gibson a 1.97).

JL commented with "My time was faster than Marcus, " with a grin.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Freeman ran a 3.96 on the shuttle run on May 19th.

"There have been four or five guys in the last four years who have been timed under four seconds in the shuttle run, and they all weigh 180 pounds, Lichter said."

....Freeman weighs 239.

Last year Freeman set the team record on the hang clean with 405.

He set a NEW record of 420 on May 20th on his 3rd attempt.

"You may hear that there are guys doing 500 pound hang cleans around the country," Lichter said. "I'm not going to say if they are or they aren't. What I will say is I'll bet there are five guys in the country at the Division I level that are actually out on the field that can hang clean 420 pounds. I'll bet you could count them on one hand."

"Marcus Freeman is our pound-for-pound most explosive player."

Sounds like Marcus is gonna be a serious workout warrior. Of course JL won't be too far behind.

Man, Thad is going to be sick as a rush end.

wicket
07-17-2008, 01:20 PM
It's kinda sick to see a college game where on either side there are about six guys with round 1 chances. I'll rank them as i see them:
Almost certain of first round: Jenkins, Malaluaga, Wells, Maola and Laurinaitis.
Very good chance: Cushing, Mays
Long Shots: Boone, Hazelton, Freeman, Turner and even Boeckman if he finally plays to his potential.
Still a couple of names left out but i must say i wouldn't be surprised to six or 7 first rounders of next years draft in that single game. To be more exact I wouldnt be surprised if half of next years draft exists of players of just 5 or 6 teams. (add LSU for the linemen, Georgia and Oklahoma and perhaps florida)

keylime_5
07-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Boone and Freeman aren't "long shots", or at least not Freeman. Definitely gonna go somewhere between mid first and the 2nd round I think.

yourfavestoner
07-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Boone and Freeman aren't "long shots", or at least not Freeman. Definitely gonna go somewhere between mid first and the 2nd round I think.

Boone needs to work on his hip flexibility and foot speed, though. The potential is to be a top five pick. He's just gotta put it all together this season. Unless he has a horrible season, I can't really see him falling out of the first round.

awfullyquiet
07-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Ho Hum. This sounds like a boring game from two overhyped schools.

Every Game Notre Dame plays has at least 31 first rounders in it.

Vikes99ej
07-17-2008, 06:30 PM

"Definitely" and "I think" are two phrases that shouldn't be in the same sentence together.

keylime_5
07-17-2008, 06:48 PM
I think he definitely will, but that's my opinion not everyone's.

Addict
07-18-2008, 10:00 AM
"Definitely" and "I think" are two phrases that shouldn't be in the same sentence together.

I think you're definately ritght there.

hellrazor
07-31-2008, 03:46 AM
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/urangajr2/l_b7f8c2e9fbbdd0375eac60d29a13f594.jpg

bitonti
08-15-2008, 12:30 PM
maybe the real question should be how many first rounders will have jock itch for the game

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8450384/Report:-USC-dealing-with-jock-itch-outbreak

Race for the Heisman
08-16-2008, 12:14 AM
maybe the real question should be how many first rounders will have jock itch for the game

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8450384/Report:-USC-dealing-with-jock-itch-outbreak

Nothing seems to be going SC's way. It'll be interest to see if they pull together and are stronger or if they use it as an excuse.

etk
08-18-2008, 12:31 AM
You can bet I'll be watching this game many times over in the coming months. 2 very important programs with the draft in mind.

BrabbitMcRabbit
08-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Stafon Johnson will be revelation this season.

wicket
03-04-2009, 02:56 PM
There could be 7 top-10 picks:
Rey Malaluaga (sp)
Brian Cushing
Taylor Mays
Fili Moala
Malcolm Jenkins
James Laurinaitis
Chris Wells

thought i bring this thread up again, fun to look back at. The answer will be 4-6 with wells, jenkins cushing and maualuga almost certainties and laurinaitis and matthews (didnt read it back totally but dont even think he was mentioned in this thread) as possibles.

bruschis4all
03-04-2009, 05:21 PM
I went to a Phillies game against Milwaukee that day on a bus trip and by the time I got back the game was almost over. Forgot to DVR the game I started the thread about. DOH..

sbh15
03-04-2009, 05:24 PM
thought i bring this thread up again, fun to look back at. The answer will be 4-6 with wells, jenkins cushing and maualuga almost certainties and laurinaitis and matthews (didnt read it back totally but dont even think he was mentioned in this thread) as possibles.

And Mark Sanchez will apparently by a 2nd rounder?

wicket
03-04-2009, 05:27 PM
And Mark Sanchez will apparently by a 2nd rounder?

my bad forgot him

sbh15
03-04-2009, 05:28 PM
my bad forgot him

well I forgot how to spell "be", so all is forgiven.

OneToughGame
03-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Sanchez?? really the QB? i highly doubt that.

Since this topic was already bumped up I had to bring this back up...

Sorry Ballin but LOLWUT? :P

PossibleCabbage
03-04-2009, 07:40 PM
This thread was pretty funny in retrospect. Moala and Boone in the first round? *snerk*

I suppose any similar thread from early in the college football season would have similarly comical results, however.

BaLLiN
03-04-2009, 08:16 PM

i still dont agree with him going top 20, if he stayed in school, but at that point ida call him a mid second

etk
03-05-2009, 07:38 PM

To be fair, Sanchez didn't really solidify himself until the Bowl game. In fact, he probably would've stayed if he didn't absolutely shred the PSU defense.

blackjack
03-05-2009, 09:06 PM
2009 draft: 0

etk
03-05-2009, 10:33 PM
2009 draft: 0

GREAT FIRST POST!!!!!!!1