Since someone is bound to post it:

http://www.kvue.com/sports/stories/050408kvuebensonarrested-jj_.c8ba9757.html

T-RICH49
05-04-2008, 09:16 AM
what a moron

btw...did Gholston really say that?

Jay
05-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Apparently it was boating while intoxicated... it was hinted that a "major star" was rumored to have been arrested in Texas overnight for boating while intoxicated. I am putting two and two together since the report is vague.

And yes, he did say that on NFLN...

Gay Ork Wang
05-04-2008, 09:52 AM
pls pls pls let us know get some RBs that can actually run

Brent
05-04-2008, 09:54 AM
What a dumbass.

ATLDirtyBirds
05-04-2008, 10:13 AM
what a moron

btw...did Gholston really say that?

What did Gholston say?

princefielder28
05-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Thank god for Cedric was drafted 4th overall because that's about the only money that he's ever gonna see.

Wootylicous
05-04-2008, 10:15 AM
What did Gholston say?

"I'm looking forward to helping us get to the Super Bowl, not this year, but next year." - Vernon Gholston to Deion Sanders upon being drafted by the Jets.

regoob2
05-04-2008, 10:15 AM
I hope we cut him. What a waste of talent and we already have his replacement.

DaBears9654
05-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Ironically, I was just contemplating what the Bears could do at tailback, figuring it's not completely unrealistic to go into a season with 4 TB's on the 53-man roster. I'd like to know where Larry Mayer is. There should be something about this on chicagobears.com.

bearsfan_51
05-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Benson is probably 50/50 to make the final roster anyway, depending upon if they think Forte is ready to start from day one.

I'm pretty strongly against drunk driving in general, but I also know what total asswhipes lake patrol cops can be, so I'm really not that bothered by this. Usually when people drink and boat they are only putting themselves in harms way.

regoob2
05-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Benson is probably 50/50 to make the final roster anyway, depending upon if they think Forte is ready to start from day one.

I'm pretty strongly against drunk driving in general, but I also know what total asswhipes lake patrol cops can be, so I'm really not that bothered by this. Usually when people drink and boat they are only putting themselves in harms way.I agree but he was also charged with resisting arrest.

bearsfan_51
05-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Watch some youtube videos of other people getting maced for "resisting arrest". Usually it consists of about 10 seconds of them disagreeing with the cops. I guess the short of it is that I think most cops are really insecure people mixed with a huge ego trips.

Then again that describes a lot of professional athletes too.

Thunder&Lightning
05-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Bensons a dumbass. Matt Forte slowly but surely will be the bears starting RB.

BroadwayJoe10
05-04-2008, 10:31 AM
"I'm looking forward to helping us get to the Super Bowl, not this year, but next year." - Vernon Gholston to Deion Sanders upon being drafted by the Jets.

I saw the interview and i was under the impression that when deon asked what can jet's fans expect from him he said; ''Hopefully a Super Bowl in a couple years, if not this year." I have a feeling the above quote is misquoted and used more to slander gholston as a player, but i havn't heard it since the interview so i could be wrong as well.

BeerBaron
05-04-2008, 10:32 AM
time to jump on the forte bus

Geo
05-04-2008, 10:48 AM
I agree with bf51, this seems more trivial than anything, relatively speaking. The guy was drunk in a boat, oh noes. We're not talking about some dumbass drunk driving and putting families at risk, or was in some high speed chase with the cops, or having some international drug-selling scheme involving cough medicine, and so on.

It's not worth cutting the guy over, although I wonder if the Bears aren't interested in recently available Dom Rhodes ... and if they are, Benson is gone.

LonghornsLegend
05-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Benson lacks passion for the game, point blank...I should of seen this a long time ago when he was going back and forth with baseball,and breaking into people's houses, I would call him a waste of a talent but at this point he just looks like a waste of a draft pick.

I'm drafting Forte on my fantasy team before anyone else in my league I know that, he is more then likely going to end up the workhorse back with Wolfe in spot duty.

neko4
05-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Forte is gonna be great. It makes me sad that Chicago got him.

CC.SD
05-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Drunk in a boat is no big deal, but when your job is as precarious as Cedric's, why do ANYTHING?

Basileus777
05-04-2008, 12:35 PM
He's wasn't just on the boat, he was operating it with 15 passengers on board. Boating accidents aren't so rare that operating a boat while drunk is some trivial thing....

no love
05-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Does this prompt them to look into signing Shaun Alexander?

steelernation77
05-04-2008, 12:53 PM

I'm pretty strongly against drunk driving in general, but I also know what total asswhipes lake patrol cops can be, so I'm really not that bothered by this. Usually when people drink and boat they are only putting themselves in harms way.

That's not really true. Every year somebody is killed by a drunk boater at this lake in northern Iowa that's a really popular party destination. Either last year or two years ago some boaters at night were literally run over by a drunk guy who was speeding around the lake.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Does this prompt them to look into signing Shaun Alexander?

I hope not, Alexander was a great player, but I think that his best years are way behind him. Not worth bringing him in.

TitleTown088
05-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Usually when people drink and boat they are only putting themselves in harms way.
I agree that lake cops are dicks but this part is just untrue. Some drunk moron hit family on my lake a couple of summers ago and killed them all. That's not the first time I have heard of something like that happening either. I'd have to say driving a boat/jetski is more dangerous than driving a car hammered... There a are no real set driving rules, no lanes to drive in, no stop lights, and much of the time the driver is doing something ( like pulling a skier) that takes their attention off driving. With that said, I've done it many times you just can't be an idiot while doing it, and that's the problem, basically everyone is an idiot.

Beans
05-04-2008, 02:35 PM
time to jump on the forte bus

more like

forte boat

Rjspartan
05-04-2008, 02:39 PM
this is the icing on the cake of a sorry career.
what a draft bust!!!

GermanSaint
05-04-2008, 02:44 PM
I saw the interview and i was under the impression that when deon asked what can jet's fans expect from him he said; ''Hopefully a Super Bowl in a couple years, if not this year." I have a feeling the above quote is misquoted and used more to slander gholston as a player, but i havn't heard it since the interview so i could be wrong as well.

your are right about it , this was exactly what i heared , too.

@topic; i never bought the cedric benson nor cadillac williams hype back in 05 . i still believe that ronnie will be MILES better than these both guys combined

Number 10
05-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Kid has been a thug from day one.

brat316
05-04-2008, 03:00 PM
At 9:30 Benson was arrested on his boat, continued to argue with the officer refusing to do what he requested, resulting in the officer using pepper spray on Benson

Hahha I found that funny. Ya got maced *****

regoob2
05-04-2008, 06:17 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080504/capt.c0c185f2c3b540baac253ea3f4a11587.bears_benson _arrested_football_txmo101.jpg?x=180&y=200&xc=1&yc=1&wc=345&hc=383&q=70&sig=Xpg9rYvCdgCuWCN5y95V3w--

Looking good ceddy looking good.

Geo
05-04-2008, 07:14 PM
He's like a little Tank Johnson (http://chicagoist.com/attachments/chicago_benjy/2006_12_sports_tank_johnson_mugshot.jpg) ...

BlindSite
05-04-2008, 08:18 PM
I was waiting for it to say "Benson tried to flee on foot but was tackled 2 yards from where he started by a 100 pound female officer."

jayceheathman
05-04-2008, 08:24 PM
I agree that lake cops are dicks but this part is just untrue. Some drunk moron hit family on my lake a couple of summers ago and killed them all. That's not the first time I have heard of something like that happening either. I'd have to say driving a boat/jetski is more dangerous than driving a car hammered... There a are no real set driving rules, no lanes to drive in, no stop lights, and much of the time the driver is doing something ( like pulling a skier) that takes their attention off driving. With that said, I've done it many times you just can't be an idiot while doing it, and that's the problem, basically everyone is an idiot.

Thats why you can only jet ski with at least 3 people or the lake cops pull you over. its either 3 people or have a rear view mirror. I got pulled over by the lake cops for only having 2 people in the boat while jet skiing. Its also a given to stay away from other boaters when you are jet skiing and they give you that orange flag to put up on the boat when a boater is in the water. I think the road is a lot more dangerous. there are tons of more people on the road rather than a select few on the lake.

regoob2
05-04-2008, 08:41 PM
I was waiting for it to say "Benson tried to flee on foot but was tackled 2 yards from where he started by a 100 pound female officer."you get that joke from FF?

PalmerToCJ
05-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Somewhere Curtis Enis is smiling...

BlindSite
05-04-2008, 09:13 PM
you get that joke from FF?

I just read the article and posted who's FF?

regoob2
05-04-2008, 09:20 PM
I just read the article and posted who's FF?
nevermind, was he really tackled by a girl?

BlindSite
05-04-2008, 09:29 PM
No I was joking, an attempt at levity based on Cedric Benson's inability to gain yards or break tackles.

regoob2
05-04-2008, 09:31 PM
No I was joking, an attempt at levity based on Cedric Benson's inability to gain yards or break tackles.I know I just saw the same exact joke earlier on footballsfuture.

BlindSite
05-04-2008, 11:45 PM
I don't know the website.

MetSox17
05-05-2008, 12:02 AM
I don't think it's as bad as it's being made out to be, but this can't be good in his attempt to stay on the roster this year. He's making some crazy jack so it might be in the Bears' best interest to release him.

For what it's worth, i hear the police in Austin are real douchebags when it comes to celebrities. Benson's a legend in Austin, so i bet the guy that maced him got his kicks out of collaring one of the most known faces in the city.

Wootylicous
05-05-2008, 12:27 AM
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/417/bensonoi3.jpg

Don't know if it's been posted before but Benson mug shot is hilarious.

BlindSite
05-05-2008, 01:39 AM
He looks pretty maggoted.

Gay Ork Wang
05-05-2008, 08:43 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d808250eb&template=without-video&confirm=true

Yatta!
05-05-2008, 11:04 AM
So Benson says that he wasn't drunk and didn't resist arrest, in fact it sounds more like police brutality according to him.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3380764

And he's been questioned by lake police six times in a year, I found that quite funny.

ChezPower4
05-05-2008, 01:10 PM
This guy is a huge bust and he's never going to live up to being takin 4th overall. Now that the Bear drafted Matt Forte they should just bite the bullet and cut his drunk a!@

dpl85
05-05-2008, 06:24 PM
I don't know what really happened, nobody does except the people there but it sounds like Benson might have got a raw deal. It doesn't sound like the pepper spray was really necessary but who knows for sure. Regardless he should'nt be in that situation to begin with.

TitanHope
05-05-2008, 06:27 PM
I own a boat with my father, and go out fairly often.

Operating a boat while under the influence is just as bad as operating a car - it's just not everyone owns a boat, so awareness isn't as renown. Marquis Hill was killed just last year due to a boating accident. I hear of people losing limbs due the propellers more so than fatalities. Though, that doesn't mean people don't die regularly since people view lifejackets on boats like bikers, or even bicyclists, see helmets - hard to look cool and show off the abs to a bunch of bikinis passing by if you've got ole foamy on.

As for Benson, I don't buy the resisting arrest thing. Where the **** was he going to go out in the middle of a lake? He gonna swim for it? Please... I'm with BF51. Park patrol is about a notch ahead of the mall cop. I'm more inclined to think that they were jerks to Benson or falsely accused him, which caused Benson to not cooperate fully with them. Depending on the person, a cop's opinion of resisting arrest can vary from not completely bending to their will in the immediate manner that the officer would like all the way to evading arrest by cheezin' it down the road. Hard to say what really happened and if Benson was indeed a victim or insinuating police brutality to try to get off the hook, but the mace seems to cross the line in my book.

Oh, and I look way worse than Benson does when I get home from the lake - let alone after being sprayed. ;)

StripedWalrus
05-05-2008, 06:44 PM
you can always look on the bright side. At least there wasnt a giant team sex party on the boat... ... ... ... ... ...

or was there?

TitanHope
05-05-2008, 06:53 PM
you can always look on the bright side. At least there wasnt a giant team sex party on the boat... ... ... ... ... ...

or was there?

If he looks like that after the hooker got done with him, he should have paid double. Heyo! ;)

art vandelay
05-05-2008, 09:51 PM
LOL, did anybody see SportsCenter where they interviewed Ashton Kutcher and he said "I can't blame him really, because I don't think I've ever been boating not under the influence." Funny, and so true. So many people drink when they go boating.

sweetness34
05-07-2008, 02:06 AM
New developments, a witness at the scene will testify against the police officers that arrested and pepper sprayed Cedric.

Now I'm not CB's biggest fan but if the man is innocent, he's innocent. And this **** needs to get straightened out ASAP.

The Dude Abides
05-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Count me as not surprised if a couple of hick cops from Texas beat the hell out of a black guy.

SFbear
05-07-2008, 01:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3385156

A female passenger on the boat claims that the police were overzealous. Their is the possibility of a 911 call of police abuse and pictures to possibly back up her claims.

Other interesting things Ive read about the case are that Benson has been "randomly" stopped for safety checks the last 5 times he's been boating out on the lake.

CC.SD
05-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Count me as not surprised if a couple of hick cops from Texas beat the hell out of a black guy.

Ding ding ding.

Bills2083
05-07-2008, 03:04 PM
here's another article regarding that woman...
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8108552?MSNHPHMA

Who do you believe, the cops or Benson?
I think Benson is telling the truth here...

Geo
05-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Other interesting things Ive read about the case are that Benson has been "randomly" stopped for safety checks the last 5 times he's been boating out on the lake.
Good thing Benson isn't black, or those wouldn't have been random stops.

Hey wait ...

yourfavestoner
05-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Welcome to the Police State.

SFbear
05-07-2008, 04:45 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8108552?MSNHPHMA
Carney added Benson did nothing "aggressive" until after he was pepper sprayed, when he started screaming for his mother and the boat. He said officers threw his client to the ground and poured water on him to wash away the spray, causing Benson to choke.

"They might as well have been waterboarding him," Carney said.

Well this is turning into a fun little story...

...you'd think if Benson was lying he'd come up with something manlier than "I started crying for my mom to help me". Somewhere Dick Butkus is shaking his head in disapproval.

Geo
05-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Nothing has gone right for Benson since he was drafted by Chicago. Lengthy holdout until a contract could finally get done with the front office, veteran Thomas Jones wins the locker room over, injured in the Super Bowl, finally gets to start but the OL was then garbage, and now this.

regoob2
05-07-2008, 09:38 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2008-05/38611172.jpeg

Geo
05-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Benson was drunk ... drunk on life, thanks to family and friends. *sniff*

661rep
05-08-2008, 09:51 AM

+1

Cops messed with the wrong black guy. The cops probably didn't even know who he was & just stereotyped him as young black man with a nice boat so he had to be up to no good.

YAYareaRB
05-09-2008, 09:40 AM
+1

Cops messed with the wrong black guy. The cops probably didn't even know who he was & just stereotyped him as young black man with a nice boat so he had to be up to no good.

They probably even cheered for him at U of Texas lol

T-RICH49
05-09-2008, 05:41 PM
I smell lawsuit coming if everything that is being reported is accurate

MetSox17
05-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Did anyone watch the stuff that came out on SportsCenter on this?

T-RICH49
05-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Did anyone watch the stuff that came out on SportsCenter on this?

you mean the other witness verifying Benson's story?yep