PDA

View Full Version : Redskins Fred Davis Misses Practice...Overslept

Thunder&Lightning
05-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Might not be thread worthy but I just thought it was kind of funny... Not a good way to start of your NFL career.

READ: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3380976

Gay Ork Wang
05-05-2008, 10:30 AM
thats great! seriously u got picked and u overslept? i wouldve been eager to be a real NFL Player

LonghornsLegend
05-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Coaches gotta love that attitude, you can't even finish out the mini-camp? I would be too excited to oversleep, let alone how much you can miss in one day of mini camp.

21ST
05-05-2008, 10:42 AM
He just hurt his signing bonus alot.

JagHombre22
05-05-2008, 12:03 PM
that's funny ****...how do you do that on one of your first days of work...??

CC.SD
05-05-2008, 12:07 PM
what the hell Fred? Way to get out there and disprove the stigma that Trojans are spoiled underachievers in the NFL.

Twiddler
05-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Those alarm clocks are pretty tricky...

BeerBaron
05-05-2008, 12:12 PM
man, i would be so pumpd for the next day i wouldnt be sleeping....and just in case, i would have set my alarm and my phone alarm and had a friend call me 10 minutes before just to make sure i was up and read.... (thats my approach to taking finals, lol)

703SKINS202
05-05-2008, 12:41 PM
im pretty sure overslept meant hungover.... hopefully it doesnt happen again

DragonFireKai
05-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Where was his roomate?

LonghornsLegend
05-05-2008, 12:53 PM
man, i would be so pumpd for the next day i wouldnt be sleeping....and just in case, i would have set my alarm and my phone alarm and had a friend call me 10 minutes before just to make sure i was up and read.... (thats my approach to taking finals, lol)

LOL I do the EXACT same things for my finals...Set two different alarms, have two different friends call me on top of that lol, its that serious, I would of taken the same approach with mini camp...Also its only a few days, I'd like to think guys could go a couple days without partying.

OzTitan
05-05-2008, 12:56 PM
what the hell Fred? Way to get out there and disprove the stigma that Trojans are spoiled underachievers in the NFL.

Honestly, I'm still waiting for that label to be trivialized, at least for recent offensive USC draftees. LenDale White had the perfect opportunity to arrive in great shape for the Titans opening of workouts.........and he didn't even show up at first, with no contact made either. Granted, neither did Bulluck, and at least this year there aren't any leaked weigh in figures like there were last year, but I haven't heard about what shape he turned up in either. I'm not even sure if he did turn up at all :P

Although, in a somewhat ironic twist, Mike Williams is apparently in at under 240lb and working hard so far this offseason for the Titans. Would be quite funny, in the offseason Pacman is given the boot that Mike Williams - a potential choice for the Titans at #6 in 2005 - finally reaches his potential :)

ChezPower4
05-05-2008, 01:02 PM
im pretty sure overslept meant hungover.... hopefully it doesnt happen again

not a good excuse he went to college in southern cali, he should be very accustomed to late night drinking. Look at Matt Leinart he has it down pat

art vandelay
05-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Man, it wasn't the AM/PM. It was the volume. Yes, the volume. There was a separate knob for the radio alarm. Yes, separate knob. Why separate knob!? Why separate knob!?

703SKINS202
05-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Man, it wasn't the AM/PM. It was the volume. Yes, the volume. There was a separate knob for the radio alarm. Yes, separate knob. Why separate knob!? Why separate knob!?

I got the call!
John Paul?
John Paul!

BeerBaron
05-05-2008, 01:06 PM
LOL I do the EXACT same things for my finals...Set two different alarms, have two different friends call me on top of that lol, its that serious, I would of taken the same approach with mini camp...Also its only a few days, I'd like to think guys could go a couple days without partying.

i take that stuff real seriously, lol. no point in working hard all semester long just to throw it all away oversleeping on a final....

btw, on the trojan front i saw people discussing....

has anyone noticed that since carson palmer and troy polamalu, there have been almost no trojans to live up the hype of that program? lofa tatupu may be the only one and he wasn't even a first round pick...

trojans who haven't lived up to the hype: (in my opinion)
mike williams (flat out bust)
matt leinart
reggie bush
lendale white
dwayne jarrett
kenechi udeze (even pre-cancer he wasn't that good)

theres probably more but i can't think of any off the top of my head. steve smith won a SB with the giants but didn't really contribute all that much i dont think...and keary colbert had one decent year for the panthers as a rookie but i havent even really heard of him since....

so it was a little surprising to me to see teams jumping all over the trojans this year....idk

CC.SD
05-05-2008, 01:18 PM
i take that stuff real seriously, lol. no point in working hard all semester long just to throw it all away oversleeping on a final....

has anyone noticed that since carson palmer and troy polamalu, there have been almost no trojans to live up the hype of that program? lofa tatupu may be the only one and he wasn't even a first round pick...

matt leinart
reggie bush
lendale white
dwayne jarrett

theres probably more but i can't think of any off the top of my head. steve smith won a SB with the giants but didn't really contribute all that much i dont think...and keary colbert had one decent year for the panthers as a rookie but i havent even really heard of him since....

so it was a little surprising to me to see teams jumping all over the trojans this year....idk

Patterson's been pretty beastly, and the jury is still way way out on Matt. Carson and Troy have been the shining examples though, no doubt about it. It's hard to believe it was so long ago that I was screaming at Carson to finally get his **** together, and he finally did it during his Heisman season.

d34ng3l021
05-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Well I'm telling you that Sam Baker isnt one of them.

Thats pretty funny though.

skinzzfan25
05-05-2008, 01:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3382195

He overslept because he switched rooms and when they came to look for him, he wasn't there. So obviously he's a bust already.

And honestly why is this even a thread.

DragonFireKai
05-05-2008, 01:33 PM

matt leinart
reggie bush
lendale white
dwayne jarrett

LenDale White had an 1,100 yard season for a playoff team. That's not bad for a 2nd round pick.

art vandelay
05-05-2008, 01:34 PM

He overslept because he switched rooms and when they came to look for him, he wasn't there. So obviously he's a bust already.

I sense a little bitterness in this post.

LonghornsLegend
05-05-2008, 01:38 PM

Oh, well thats a good excuse...At least him missing practice was justified:rolleyes:

CC.SD
05-05-2008, 01:47 PM
LenDale White had an 1,100 yard season for a playoff team. That's not bad for a 2nd round pick.

Not bad at all. Unfortunately he mocked the Lights Out dance during a blowout, which turned into a miracle comeback by the Chargers. So if you ask me he lost a lot of cred.

Plus he couldn't get one freaking first down in the National Championship when we really needed it.

Oh who am I kidding, I will always love Lendale. Roll on, you ferocious butterball.

thetedginnshow
05-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Where was his roomate?

Haven't you seen Drumline? He ain't his mom!

BeerBaron
05-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Patterson's been pretty beastly, and the jury is still way way out on Matt. Carson and Troy have been the shining examples though, no doubt about it. It's hard to believe it was so long ago that I was screaming at Carson to finally get his **** together, and he finally did it during his Heisman season.

i wasn't saying that all the guys i mentioned were bad or were busts (at least not most of them)....they just havent lived up to the hype it seems that the media always throws on USC guys.

and on the lendale front, if he were a turning into a great running back, the titans wouldn't have drafted henry or johnson. (or at least not both of them if you want to make the 2 back argument)

it just seems to me that for where all of these guys are drafted and how many of them are getting drafted that high, very few of them have really produced at the high level that seems expected of them

DragonFireKai
05-05-2008, 02:24 PM
i wasn't saying that all the guys i mentioned were bad or were busts (at least not most of them)....they just havent lived up to the hype it seems that the media always throws on USC guys.

and on the lendale front, if he were a turning into a great running back, the titans wouldn't have drafted henry or johnson. (or at least not both of them if you want to make the 2 back argument)

it just seems to me that for where all of these guys are drafted and how many of them are getting drafted that high, very few of them have really produced at the high level that seems expected of them

How many second round running backs are expected to turn into great running backs? Picking up a second round running back in Henry was more a matter of insurance, because White didn't set the world on fire his first year. But White proved himself the better running back. And how much hype does a second round pick actually command? Nobody expects a 1,100 yard rusher out of a second round pick.

BaLLiN
05-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Fred is seriously stupid, but its one time, its not like he was making it rain and never lost his lesson (pacman), but its kindof hard to believe that you miss an entire practice because you oversleep. I mean you could miss some of it, but practices go for like 4-5 hours at least.

DragonFireKai
05-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Fred is seriously stupid, but its one time, its not like he was making it rain and never lost his lesson (pacman), but its kindof hard to believe that you miss an entire practice because you oversleep. I mean you could miss some of it, but practices go for like 4-5 hours at least.

Oh, it's possible, I slept for almost 40 hours once. It all depends on how tired you are.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Fred is an idiot, anyways interesting in that article about how Portis challenged Landry to a 40, and according to reports they finished about identically at the same time. I know Portis has been working crazy in the offseason, if he can get his second gear back, along with being one of the better power backs in the league, we could be looking at a 1600+ yard season.

BaLLiN
05-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Oh, it's possible, I slept for almost 40 hours once. It all depends on how tired you are.

Its possible he was pretty tired from stress of the draft, and from practice, but seriously how do you sleep through that? You know you have a big role to play coming into the NFL as a higher round pick.

703SKINS202
05-05-2008, 02:47 PM

practice was from 9-11 am that day, its minicamp remember

703SKINS202
05-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Fred is an idiot, anyways interesting in that article about how Portis challenged Landry to a 40, and according to reports they finished about identically at the same time. I know Portis has been working crazy in the offseason, if he can get his second gear back, along with being one of the better power backs in the league, we could be looking at a 1600+ yard season.

Landry had him by a step and by the way he looks jacked, I think both are gonna have huge years.

Link : http://youtube.com/watch?v=vk6REJr6KXM

skinzzfan25
05-05-2008, 02:50 PM

check redskins.com TV

they have the vid posted. it was literally a tie, but with slow-mo Landry just nudged him out.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Landry had him by a step and by the way he looks jacked, I think both are gonna have huge years.

Damn I knew CP was a complete meat head like that, but shoot, didn't know LaRon was that big, he is a freak. Still makes you sad thinking about what kind of tandem ST and LaRon would be.

BaLLiN
05-05-2008, 03:23 PM
practice was from 9-11 am that day, its minicamp remember

if you dont wake up before 11 oclock you mustve been drunk or something, because i can go to bed at like 5 oclock in the morning almost dead, and wake up at like 10

BeerBaron
05-05-2008, 03:24 PM
How many second round running backs are expected to turn into great running backs? Picking up a second round running back in Henry was more a matter of insurance, because White didn't set the world on fire his first year. But White proved himself the better running back. And how much hype does a second round pick actually command? Nobody expects a 1,100 yard rusher out of a second round pick.

actually, there have been a lot of successful 2nd round runners. portis is a great example....travis henry has had a number of good seasons when he stays out of trouble...corey dillon had a fantastic career and he was a 2nd rounder...you can even throw in curtis martin and he was a 3rd rounder.

all of those guys started right away for their teams (planned or not) and was successful.

im really, really hoping that matt forte does well as a 2nd rounder right away for the bears.

and remember, lendale could have been a first rounder but had let himself go and wasnt working out well pre-draft iirc. the titans (probably at the recommendation of norm chow) stopped his plummet. he probably could have been a first rounder had he worked hard and was in shape leading up to the draft.

and he probably could have made an impact for the Titans right away as a rookie but again, he showed up out of shape and lost out on the job if i remember...

hes worked out, for a season, but even minus him, there are still plenty of examples of trojans who haven't lit the world on fire yet

tEk
05-05-2008, 04:16 PM
if you dont wake up before 11 oclock you mustve been drunk or something, because i can go to bed at like 5 oclock in the morning almost dead, and wake up at like 10that's cause your BaLLin!

LonghornsLegend
05-05-2008, 04:27 PM

Landry is super fast for a guy as jacked up as he is, its crazy...

703SKINS202
05-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Landry is super fast for a guy as jacked up as he is, its crazy...

Yea he ran in the 4.3's at his combine so for Portis to be right there with him lets me know that he has worked his ass off and hasn't lost a step like I thought he did last year. Hopefully hes primes for a big year.

DragonFireKai
05-05-2008, 04:41 PM
actually, there have been a lot of successful 2nd round runners. portis is a great example....travis henry has had a number of good seasons when he stays out of trouble...corey dillon had a fantastic career and he was a 2nd rounder...you can even throw in curtis martin and he was a 3rd rounder.

all of those guys started right away for their teams (planned or not) and was successful.

im really, really hoping that matt forte does well as a 2nd rounder right away for the bears.

There have been 139 running backs taken in the second round, not including the 3 in 08. 65 of which failed to rush for as many yards in their career as White rushed for in 07. Of the 17 RBs taken since 2000 in the second round, only four have rushed for more yards in a single season than White. He's off to a good start for a second rounder.

and remember, lendale could have been a first rounder but had let himself go and wasnt working out well pre-draft iirc. the titans (probably at the recommendation of norm chow) stopped his plummet. he probably could have been a first rounder had he worked hard and was in shape leading up to the draft.

And Tommy Blake would have been a first rounder if he didn't go bat**** insane. Calais Campbell would have been a first rounder if he worked a little harder in 07. Every year there are dozens of players who "Could" have been first rounders but for some reason didn't work out. But the fact of the matter is, White was a second rounder, and was expected to play like a second rounder. If people thought he'd play like a first rounder, they'd have drafted him in the first.

and he probably could have made an impact for the Titans right away as a rookie but again, he showed up out of shape and lost out on the job if i remember...

hes worked out, for a season, but even minus him, there are still plenty of examples of trojans who haven't lit the world on fire yet

The Titans also let a 1,200 yard rusher walk so they could hand the reigns over to White. It's the same deal with Dwayne Jarrett, Steve Smith, and Keary Colbert. They were good players in college, but they were second round picks, and they had the expectations of a second rounder placed upon them. If you thought they should have performed above and beyond the normal performance of a second round player, then your expectations were unrealistic.

DragonFireKai
05-05-2008, 04:44 PM
if you dont wake up before 11 oclock you mustve been drunk or something, because i can go to bed at like 5 oclock in the morning almost dead, and wake up at like 10

And then you would have likely missed the entire practice. Get up, get dressed, drive to the field, get in pads, get warmed up, and get on the field. You think you could do all that in enough time to get any amount of practice time in?

BeerBaron
05-05-2008, 05:11 PM
There have been 139 running backs taken in the second round, not including the 3 in 08. 65 of which failed to rush for as many yards in their career as White rushed for in 07. Of the 17 RBs taken since 2000 in the second round, only four have rushed for more yards in a single season than White. He's off to a good start for a second rounder.

And Tommy Blake would have been a first rounder if he didn't go bat**** insane. Calais Campbell would have been a first rounder if he worked a little harder in 07. Every year there are dozens of players who "Could" have been first rounders but for some reason didn't work out. But the fact of the matter is, White was a second rounder, and was expected to play like a second rounder. If people thought he'd play like a first rounder, they'd have drafted him in the first.

The Titans also let a 1,200 yard rusher walk so they could hand the reigns over to White. It's the same deal with Dwayne Jarrett, Steve Smith, and Keary Colbert. They were good players in college, but they were second round picks, and they had the expectations of a second rounder placed upon them. If you thought they should have performed above and beyond the normal performance of a second round player, then your expectations were unrealistic.

firstly, i hope you feel special that you looked that up about the 2nd rounders. waaaay to much work for me....but my main point remained that there were plenty of 2nd round backs who had immediate impacts. thats actually a position where i think guys could have big impacts right away when drafted after the first...MJD was another example who slipped my mind earlier.

but to my main point, lendale was coming off of a national championship playing team and was the thunder to reggie's lighting and not only had that first round potential, but SHOULD have gone there. moreso than a tommy blake or calais campbell. He ****** up AFTER teh football season when all he had to do was prepare for the draft, and he couldnt.

and your acting as though i said that lendale is the worst thing since hitler. not true. but for a player who had lofty expectations placed upon him as the first rounder from a national championship caliber team he should have been, he hasnt done it like he should have.

in fact, much like dwayne jarrett, one could say he started failing those expectations before he even hit an nfl team with poor pre-draft preperations.

i think that several players who've come out of USC got lazy during their time there. they get to whomp their foes with superior athleticism and then when they get to the pros against competition of equal athleticism, they just don't live up. look at reggie...during his rookie year, i was a huge defender of him that he was just a rookie and shouldn't be stripped of time do develop like all rookies get. well...it doesn't look that happening now....

49ersfan_87
05-05-2008, 05:16 PM
I think what's obvious is that Chilo Rachal will be the best player to ever come out of USC ;)

ATLDirtyBirds
05-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Damn I knew CP was a complete meat head like that, but shoot, didn't know LaRon was that big, he is a freak. Still makes you sad thinking about what kind of tandem ST and LaRon would be.

Yeah, that's sad. That would have been incredible.

DragonFireKai
05-05-2008, 06:42 PM
firstly, i hope you feel special that you looked that up about the 2nd rounders. waaaay to much work for me....but my main point remained that there were plenty of 2nd round backs who had immediate impacts. thats actually a position where i think guys could have big impacts right away when drafted after the first...MJD was another example who slipped my mind earlier.

It seriously only took like five minutes.

It's true that there are good backs to be found in the first round, but that's the exception, not the rule. Almost half of them don't break 1,000 yards on their career, and half of the ones who do don't break it in a single season. With a first round pick, you're expecting a starter, with a second round pick, the expectation is a good backup.

but to my main point, lendale was coming off of a national championship playing team and was the thunder to reggie's lighting and not only had that first round potential, but SHOULD have gone there. moreso than a tommy blake or calais campbell. He ****** up AFTER teh football season when all he had to do was prepare for the draft, and he couldnt.

You do know that White was pushing 270 during the championship game? He was never a physical specimen. He had good running instincts, and a good line, but athleticaly gifted he was not. The idea that he should have been a first rounder was an illusion that evaporated upon closer inspection. Kind of like Colt Brennan, just not as severe.

and your acting as though i said that lendale is the worst thing since hitler. not true. but for a player who had lofty expectations placed upon him as the first rounder from a national championship caliber team he should have been, he hasnt done it like he should have.

What expectations? He was a second round pick. If you were expecting AP out of him, then your evaluation was heavily skewed. You say he didn't live up to the hype, I'm telling you that there wasn't near as much hype as you percieved. Blair Thomas failed to live up to the hype, Ernie Davis didn't live up to the hype, Cedric Benson, Reggie Bush, Ki-Janna Carter, and Curtis Enis all failed to live up to the hype. LenDale White has exceeded it. Nobody thought enough of him to make him a first round selection. He was a mid second round pick. He was expected to be a career backup, and situational starter.

in fact, much like dwayne jarrett, one could say he started failing those expectations before he even hit an nfl team with poor pre-draft preperations.

Or maybe that Pete Carroll has figured out that Big, Slow wide recievers can dominate in college, unlike in the NFL. Look at Missouri, they managed to convince other teams to stick LBs on their big slow WRs by labeling them as tight ends.

i think that several players who've come out of USC got lazy during their time there. they get to whomp their foes with superior athleticism and then when they get to the pros against competition of equal athleticism, they just don't live up. look at reggie...during his rookie year, i was a huge defender of him that he was just a rookie and shouldn't be stripped of time do develop like all rookies get. well...it doesn't look that happening now....

The problem with Reggie was that he never learned how to be a running back. He has the running instincts of a pop warner player. He used to be the fastest player on the field, but not anymore. I called him being a bust before he was drafted. He needs years of work before he's a servicable running back. He's actually a better WR than he is Running back, he's got decent instincts for finding and sitting in the hole in a defense.

It's not a matter of laziness, it's the fact that Pete Carroll teaches them how to win at the college level, and that's entirely different than how to play at the pro level, especially on offense. His defensive players are better prepared, but his offensive skill prospects are for the most part unprepared for the NFL game.

toddmlazarchick
05-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Coaches gotta love that attitude, you can't even finish out the mini-camp? I would be too excited to oversleep, let alone how much you can miss in one day of mini camp.

trolling at its finest. you complain about me not holding a convo without bashing the cowboys and yet you post this comment. just because he accidently overslept that constitutes to having a horrible attitude? obviously you dont make mistakes. :roll:

toddmlazarchick
05-05-2008, 07:38 PM

well not everyone is like you. people can sleep for different periods of time. i cant sleep past 10ish. my gf can sleep until 3 if no one woke her.

DiG
05-05-2008, 08:15 PM

check the sig VV

SeanTaylorRIP
05-05-2008, 08:39 PM
No **** but this guy is a freaking safety!!!
http://a114.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/75/l_8c36eb51dad56faf62b36f27f7c219d9.jpg

He would kill you.