PDA

View Full Version : Marshawn Lynch or Marion Barber?

art vandelay
05-05-2008, 01:43 PM
I was thinking about this today because the two are very similar running backs. I'm a Lynch guy obviously because I think he brings more big-play ability but both backs run extremely hard, probably too hard for their own good. It's a slow part in the offseason so I figured why not. Who would you take?

bored of education
05-05-2008, 01:46 PM
This is a topic I have debated as well. I love both running backs and Marshawn is my favorite player in the game. Very smiliar, but Marshawn can break one at any time and is a better receiver out of the backfield. I would vote Marshawn any day of the week. I also think in the long run Marshawn might be able to carry the ball 30 times if needed.

Thunder&Lightning
05-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Very close. Lynch has better big play capability and can break tackles. I would take Barber though. Little below Lynch in athleticism but Barbers tenacity and love for contact while having the will never to give up is very rare to find these days.

Picture Comparison:

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/05/10/personnel.questions/p1_barber_bergman.jpghttp://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/marshawn-lynch-230x250.jpg

The better question is who has better hair?

NY+Giants=NYG
05-05-2008, 01:47 PM
I was thinking about this today because the two are very similar running backs. I'm a Lynch guy obviously because I think he brings more big-play ability but both backs run extremely hard, probably too hard for their own good. It's a slow part in the offseason so I figured why not. Who would you take?

Which o-line? What's the running system? Zone or combo? What division will these guys play in? All these like it or not effect each players production.

Thunder&Lightning
05-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Which o-line? What's the running system? Zone or combo? What division will these guys play in? All these like it or not effect each players production.

dude just pick one...

art vandelay
05-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Since the Bills aren't as mainstream as the Cowboys (obviously), I feel that many people don't know how hard Lynch runs. I think Geo said it best when he said "you have no idea how hard-earned each and every one of Lynch's yards last year were" in one of his posts. It really is true, and I think he might possibly run harder than Barber.

fenikz
05-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Tim Hightower FTW

bored of education
05-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Tim Hightower FTW

you win funniest post ever award

Flyboy
05-05-2008, 02:04 PM
I went with Lynch because of his versatility. I <3 his game.

NY+Giants=NYG
05-05-2008, 02:04 PM
dude just pick one...

It effects everything, but I'd take Barber, if he can increase his endurance to get more carries without tiring. We play Dallas 2X a year, and like Barber alot, and what he can do.

bigbluedefense
05-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Ooo, this is tough.

Im going with Lynch. Theyre pretty much the same back, but Lynch has more breakaway speed. Both can block, catch, run inside and outside, both run real hard, the only differences are Lynch has already proven he can take majority carries and he has an extra gear that Barber doesn't have. So ill take Lynch.

Love both of them though.

Im not sure how many of you guys saw Bills games last year, but if you saw Lynch, the guy was amazing. He earned every single inch he got. It was not uncommon to see Lynch shrug off defenders in the backfield and get 2 yards when he shouldve lost 3.

I know AD gets all the pub, and I admit I had Lynch rated very similar to AD, at one point I thought he might be better (although I back off that statement now), but if Lynch can get a line in front of him dont be surprised if he becomes one of the elite backs in this league.

As good as AD? I dunno, but he'll be damn good for sure. If he had a Minny oline id be curious to see what he would do with it.

cdub11
05-05-2008, 02:23 PM
having seen much more of barber i would have to go with him, although i am very impressed with lynch from what i have seen and i do think he will be a star in the league

BaLLiN
05-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Barber delivers hits that ware down a defense over time, but after waring down the defense in the 4th quarter i dont like what i see, he doesnt take advantage of it.

Lynch really has a more blended style, he can delivers some blows, but has very good moves and breakaway speed. He also is the better reciever out of the backfield.

I haven't seen as much of Lynch in the NFL, but I'd pick Lynch because you have to play 60 minutes and he can handle the load for sure.

AtariBigby
05-05-2008, 02:39 PM
MB3 clearly has better hair, and even though I should hate Dallas, he gets my vote. I went to the U of M with him and Maroney there together and MB3 being the first got no respect.......

I like Marshawn, but love Barber.

no love
05-05-2008, 02:42 PM
I have been watching Lynch since his days at Cal so I am a bit biased. But I still take him over Barber because of his versatility and his big play ability.

He also seems like a great, fun team mate, and is a really good, positive locker room guy.

Him on the Mayne Event:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pSO-kdWLFes

Flyboy
05-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Ooo, this is tough.

Im going with Lynch. Theyre pretty much the same back, but Lynch has more breakaway speed. Both can block, catch, run inside and outside, both run real hard, the only differences are Lynch has already proven he can take majority carries and he has an extra gear that Barber doesn't have. So ill take Lynch.

Love both of them though.

Im not sure how many of you guys saw Bills games last year, but if you saw Lynch, the guy was amazing. He earned every single inch he got. It was not uncommon to see Lynch shrug off defenders in the backfield and get 2 yards when he shouldve lost 3.

I know AD gets all the pub, and I admit I had Lynch rated very similar to AD, at one point I thought he might be better (although I back off that statement now), but if Lynch can get a line in front of him dont be surprised if he becomes one of the elite backs in this league.

As good as AD? I dunno, but he'll be damn good for sure. If he had a Minny oline id be curious to see what he would do with it.

I had Lynch rated higher than AD as a prospect in last year's draft class, but that's just me...

BaLLiN
05-05-2008, 03:02 PM
I had Lynch rated higher than AD as a prospect in last year's draft class, but that's just me...

yea me too, but i think we both kindof got showed up this season...

Flyboy
05-05-2008, 03:04 PM
yea me too, but i think we both kindof got showed up this season...

Yeah, to a degree but you have to consider the lines that both runningbacks were running behind. Not taking anything away from AD because he's ungodly but it is definitely something to consider.

TheGreatEscape
05-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Lynch's beast mode is one of a kind. I bag on the bills a lot in buffalo but lynch is incredible.

BaLLiN
05-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Yeah, to a degree but you have to consider the lines that both runningbacks were running behind. Not taking anything away from AD because he's ungodly but it is definitely something to consider.

yea, but if you see the teams that AD messed up, the two that really stick out to me, Chargers and Bears, have good DBs and LBs. But later on teams focused on Peterson and pretty much shut him down. So it really depends. Id still take Lynch over AD, as stupid as you may think i am, i think Lynch is the better back.

Nitschke-Hawk
05-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Marshawn cause he's been a favorite of mine for a while. Younger, just turned 22, runs hard and knows how to control it.

Plus I think Barber is just as likely to kill somebody else on the field as he is to kill himself on the field. Dude is nuts.

--------

Oh yeah...

BEAST MODE!

Staubach12
05-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Barber. He's a real football player. He plays with more passion than I've ever seen.

TheGreatEscape
05-05-2008, 03:43 PM
AD can just do some incredible things that others can't but Lynch's beast mode is just nasty on a down to down basis

TheGreatEscape
05-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Barber. He's a real football player. He plays with more passion than I've ever seen.

You clearly didn't watch Lynch too much this year.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Marshawn Lynch. You know you're a ******* beast when you have a song made after you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWCeSsbqXFw&feature=related

Flyboy
05-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Marshawn Lynch. You know you're a ******* beast when you have a song made after you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWCeSsbqXFw&feature=related

That's that ish. Nice one.

Nitschke-Hawk
05-05-2008, 03:59 PM
For anybody who doesn't realize, Marshawn is a big dude, I met him in Chicago at a card show.

Dude is a TANK

http://a514.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/6/l_adc7ff8b370903782982faba60900531.jpg

LonghornsLegend
05-05-2008, 04:02 PM
The homer choice is going to be Barber for me, and yes its a homer choice and I don't care:D I've watched alot of both guys, but I learned to love the little things Barber did, in short yardage situations he always had a knack for finding the hole instead of plowing forward, he is an excellent blocker in passing situations, and literally wears a defense down from trying to tackle him...It was always fun to watch him run a sweep and not want to go out of bounds so he would drill the CB with an iron stiff arm(which he might not be able to do anymore).

But with that said Lynch is more explosive, and has more big play potential so I would rank him higher, Barber is just a personal favorite that I've always loved, he always had a way of injecting life into the crowd or the offense if we were in a lull and not going anywhere...Really its pick your flavor because I don't think you can go wrong with either, but Lynch is a beast in his own right.

TheGreatEscape
05-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Lynch is also a guy who can make the fans love the team because he's hilarious and goes into beast mode during games.

Modano
05-05-2008, 04:05 PM
The barbarian!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fey_H9qyFB0

BufFan71
05-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Marshawn Lynch

he proved he can carry a full load last year

katnip
05-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Lynch is more versatile to me (speed)

BufFan71
05-05-2008, 07:38 PM
i think lynch offers more as a reciever, even though fairchild didnt utilize him properly

thank goodness he went to CSU

Locc*
05-05-2008, 08:04 PM
whats csu?

BeerBaron
05-05-2008, 08:06 PM
well, over the long term i think id take lynch as i feel hes more well rounded and has less miles on him since hes a few years younger.

but i voted barber just because hes actually proven more already...i thought this would be a barber runaway when i first saw it but i guess not..

art vandelay
05-05-2008, 08:11 PM
whats csu?

Colorado State University (where Bills former OC Steve Fairchild went to head coach).

BamaFalcon59
05-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Marshawn Lynch, because that song is raw.

But really, I perfered Lynch before I saw the video.

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Both are great RBs.You cant go wrong.But I'll take Lynch.

Brent
05-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Marshawn "Beast Mode" Lynch

thebow305
05-06-2008, 01:03 AM
I like Lynch's speed better, but I'll take Barber's punishing running style over "beast mode." Dude is a monster that runs angry and absolutely does not like to go down! You can say what you want, but nothing beats what Barber did against New England.

That being said, Lynch will probably be better in the end because of his versatility. Barber just lacks that elite speed.

Give me AD and call it a day! (no pun intended!)

Flyboy
05-06-2008, 01:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-iel089cEE&feature=related

He was already one of my favorite players, but OMG - that interview is so f'n epic.

MetSox17
05-06-2008, 01:14 AM
I wasn't around last draft to be involved in the Peterson vs. Lynch arguments, but even after this year unfolding the way it did, there are a ton of people that would choose Lynch over Peterson. My question is, WHY?!

Adrian Peterson has LaDainian Tomlinson potential, Lynch will be lucky if he can be what Shaun Alexander was.

I like Lynch, i really do, he's a heck of a football player, a great runner and all, but how is he better than Adrian Peterson? Peterson's better inside the tackles, outside the tackles, catching out of the backfield, better agility, speed, quickness, burst, and has way better open field moves. So what is it about Lynch that makes people want him more than Peterson?

DragonFireKai
05-06-2008, 01:33 AM
Adrian Peterson has LaDainian Tomlinson potential, Lynch will be lucky if he can be what Shaun Alexander was.

Most backs would love to be able to be as good as the player with the 8th most rushing TDs in history.

And for the record, coming out of college, Lynch had much more polished recieving skills than peterson, had more power at the point of contact, and was much more durable. Peterson compares much closer to Eric Dickerson than LdT.

MetSox17
05-06-2008, 01:46 AM
Most backs would love to be able to be as good as the player with the 8th most rushing TDs in history.

And for the record, coming out of college, Lynch had much more polished recieving skills than peterson, had more power at the point of contact, and was much more durable. Peterson compares much closer to Eric Dickerson than LdT.

So out of all the post you were able to make an argument out of one sentence?

DragonFireKai
05-06-2008, 01:59 AM
So out of all the post you were able to make an argument out of one sentence?

I chop up the posts, originally, I thought that was the only thing I had an issue with, but then I reread the rest of it, and forgot to insert the other pieces.

no love
05-06-2008, 02:31 AM
I wasn't around last draft to be involved in the Peterson vs. Lynch arguments, but even after this year unfolding the way it did, there are a ton of people that would choose Lynch over Peterson. My question is, WHY?!

I like Lynch, i really do, he's a heck of a football player, a great runner and all, but how is he better than Adrian Peterson? Peterson's better inside the tackles, outside the tackles, catching out of the backfield, better agility, speed, quickness, burst, and has way better open field moves. So what is it about Lynch that makes people want him more than Peterson?

I think one of the big concerns for Peterson is and will always be injury concerns due to his upright running style.

Both players are great. I don't think you can really go wrong with either guy. But you are making it seem like there is a huge gap between the two, which I really don't think there is.

Plus for all of his ability, Peterson was a bit inconsistent and got thrown for a loss more than I'd like to see for someone with his insane talent.

Rob S
05-06-2008, 03:15 AM
I honestly dont have faith in AD staying healthy, thats a main reason why some people had him kind of low (below Marshawn). I LOVE AD, but I honestly think he will have an injury riddled career.

LonghornsLegend
05-06-2008, 07:05 AM
Marshawn Lynch runs like a battering ram, what makes people think that he is going to stay injury free forever? The reason I ask, is because people are always so quick to bring up AD being injured, and when talking about Barber its always "he cant keep running like that because he is going to break down eventually", and being that Lynch is more of a workhorse back, what makes people think Lynch isn't susceptible to injury just the same as Peterson.

Outside of the fact that its completely Random, Lynch was banged up last year too, and yes it was just a high ankle sprain but thats the same injury Peterson had in college when people called him "injury prone" for it, not the same treatment for Lynch?

kiranadwaney
05-06-2008, 07:08 AM
I went Lynch, he has more speed and plays just as tough as Barber

art vandelay
05-06-2008, 09:57 AM
I like Lynch's speed better, but I'll take Barber's punishing running style over "beast mode." Dude is a monster that runs angry and absolutely does not like to go down! You can say what you want, but nothing beats what Barber did against New England.

That being said, Lynch will probably be better in the end because of his versatility. Barber just lacks that elite speed.

Give me AD and call it a day! (no pun intended!)

Didn't you watch the Bills Dolphins games last year? The bolded part of your statement exactly describes how Marshawn runs.

YAYareaRB
05-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Marshawn Lynch runs like a battering ram, what makes people think that he is going to stay injury free forever? The reason I ask, is because people are always so quick to bring up AD being injured, and when talking about Barber its always "he cant keep running like that because he is going to break down eventually", and being that Lynch is more of a workhorse back, what makes people think Lynch isn't susceptible to injury just the same as Peterson.

Outside of the fact that its completely Random, Lynch was banged up last year too, and yes it was just a high ankle sprain but thats the same injury Peterson had in college when people called him "injury prone" for it, not the same treatment for Lynch?

For the record, He had a high ankle sprain in 2005.. In 2006, he broke his collarbone.

But to address the poll, I think Marshawn Lynch will have a better pro career. I love both and think Marion Barber should have the opportunity to carry the full load. Marion Barber sure does BANG more than Marshawn Lynch.

MetSox17
05-06-2008, 11:26 AM
I think one of the big concerns for Peterson is and will always be injury concerns due to his upright running style.

Both players are great. I don't think you can really go wrong with either guy. But you are making it seem like there is a huge gap between the two, which I really don't think there is.

Plus for all of his ability, Peterson was a bit inconsistent and got thrown for a loss more than I'd like to see for someone with his insane talent.

They played in an equal amount of games last year. Both were hurt equally. So i don't see where this injury prone talk comes from. If you look at Peterson's injuries, they've come on freak plays. When he cracked his collar bone he was falling with no one else around into the end zone at full speed and just landed on it wrong. Anyone's would have cracked if you were running full speed and all your weight landed on it.

This past year Al Harris injured him on a shady tackle. There was nothing he could do about that. And they missed equal amount of time, so this injury talk is way over blown.

And how can you say the gap between the two isn't that close? Marshawn Lynch is a grinder, as you can tell by his stats. Having a hard time breaking 4 yards a carry most of the time. The only game he ever averaged over 5 YPC, he had 29 carries for 153 yards, and one run being of 56 yards. And he JUST had 5.3 ypc.

I honestly don't think he'll be anywhere near the gamebreaker Peterson already is. No way.

LonghornsLegend
05-06-2008, 11:42 AM
For the record, He had a high ankle sprain in 2005.. In 2006, he broke his collarbone.

Yea, I know that...But do you realize its silly to call AD injury prone when that high injury sprain was one of his injuries in college and people were calling him injury prone at that time already...Also even though Barber has never been injured people say its coming because of how he runs, my question is why isn't the same said for Lynch, who was injured his rookie season also with a high ankle sprain, and runs just as hard as Barber does with more carries.

Brent
05-06-2008, 01:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-iel089cEE&feature=related
I was laughing the whole time I watched that. I loved Marshawn before but now I think he's my hero.

AlexDown
05-06-2008, 01:28 PM
I was laughing the whole time I watched that. I loved Marshawn before but now I think he's my hero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSO-kdWLFes&feature=related

Go_Eagles77
05-06-2008, 01:55 PM

I was gonna post that too. "Oh yeah this spot hot" lol it it's hilarious.

Brent
05-06-2008, 01:58 PM
"Who is Beethoven?"

AlexDown
05-06-2008, 02:11 PM
I was gonna post that too. "Oh yeah this spot hot" lol it it's hilarious.

They had one with Mario Williams, it was hilarious but I can't find it. I always look for it around draft time but never find it.

tom
05-08-2008, 04:53 PM
MARSHAW LYNCHES MARION! c'mon, not even close!

no love
05-08-2008, 06:26 PM
They played in an equal amount of games last year. Both were hurt equally. So i don't see where this injury prone talk comes from. If you look at Peterson's injuries, they've come on freak plays. When he cracked his collar bone he was falling with no one else around into the end zone at full speed and just landed on it wrong. Anyone's would have cracked if you were running full speed and all your weight landed on it.

And how can you say the gap between the two isn't that close? Marshawn Lynch is a grinder, as you can tell by his stats. Having a hard time breaking 4 yards a carry most of the time. The only game he ever averaged over 5 YPC, he had 29 carries for 153 yards, and one run being of 56 yards. And he JUST had 5.3 ypc.

I honestly don't think he'll be anywhere near the gamebreaker Peterson already is. No way.

I was actually thinking about this running style. His upright punishing style is bound to leave him more exposed to taking some big shots. It is the same reasons I have concerns about Marion Barbers longevity in the league.

Thats fine if you don't think Lynch will never be the gamebreaker that Peterson is. But I completely disagree that Marshawn is just a grinder, he has plenty of explosive ability, although he had to get a lot of tough yards in Buffalo.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-09-2008, 12:44 AM
I have a few concerns about Lynch's ability to stay healthy over the long term. The way he runs is really hard on his knees and his refusal to go down led to some injuries during his college career (those broken fingers his junior year). That said, the kid is unbelievably tough and determined.

In terms of skill set, he probably edges Barber. Barber packs a little more of a punch when he runs into a guy, but Lynch definitely has the edge in speed and makes upfield cuts a little more sudden. Even if I try my best to ignore my Golden Bears homerism, I'm taking Lynch.

asmitty45
05-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Lynch, easy. MB3 is a great bruiser but lynch is a more dynamic all-around back imo.