PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall robbed at gunpoint

BUSTKUNTLAWL
05-05-2008, 02:52 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/932308,Mendenhall050508.article

University of Illinois star running back Rashard Mendenhall -- who was just drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers -- was robbed at gunpoint early Monday along the South Side lakefront, sources said.

Mendenhall, 20, was walking along the lake near 39th Street at 2 a.m. with another person when two people robbed him of his phone, cash and wallet, sources familiar with the investigation said.

Jakey
05-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Oh nice!

Man there are some dickheads around!

Flyboy
05-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Hey, this is probably why Marvin Harrison has guns.

sweetness34
05-05-2008, 02:53 PM
2:00am on the Southside? That's a bad place to be even if you're with two or three other guys. Wrong place at the wrong time though looks like.

703SKINS202
05-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Pennsylvania baby.

BaLLiN
05-05-2008, 02:55 PM
what else is going to go wrong? first he tweaks his hammy, and now he is robbed....

Flyboy
05-05-2008, 03:01 PM
what else is going to go wrong? first he tweaks his hammy, and now he is robbed....

Wait, he tweaked his hammy?

CC.SD
05-05-2008, 03:05 PM
It's okay, he'll have some spare cash soon.

StripedWalrus
05-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Im sure in a few weeks they will claim a Bengal was the one who robbed him =(

BaLLiN
05-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Wait, he tweaked his hammy?

yea it was reported on NFL network

Flyboy
05-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Im sure in a few weeks they will claim a Bengal was the one who robbed him =(

LMAO. It was Keith Rivers. I knew it.

StripedWalrus
05-05-2008, 03:20 PM
LMAO. It was Keith Rivers. I knew it.

Close...Keith Rivers Was in philly with a hand cannon shooting at people (he framed Marvin Harrison)

It was actually Billy Graham's son-in-law Corey Lynch that was in on the Mendenhall mugging.

sweetness34
05-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Well Rivers would make sense in that Mendenhall ran all over USC in the Rose Bowl, maybe he still has a grudge. ;)

BeerBaron
05-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Pennsylvania baby.

he was in Illinois dude unless i read it wrong....

outside of philly, i feel like PA is a pretty safe place actually. just don't be wearing brown in the woods during deer season....about the closest most people here will come to being shot, lol

Young Legend
05-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Welcome to the NFL.

StripedWalrus
05-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Well Rivers would make sense in that Mendenhall ran all over USC in the Rose Bowl, maybe he still has a grudge. ;)

Doubt he is holding to much of a grudge since the Fighting Illini lost by 32.... Maybe Mendenhall Robbed a Bengal...and since it was a Bengal everyone naturally believes it must be Mendenhall who was robbed .... .... .... .... ....

Staubach12
05-05-2008, 03:45 PM

It's going to start raining.

Anyway, sucks for him. Not huge news, though.

Nitschke-Hawk
05-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Well this is great to hear. WTF?

AtariBigby
05-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Not huge news, though.
No not huge news, not even surprising..... he's lucky he didn't get killed though. Really. Darrent Williams fans will attest to that..... Rashard could have easily been shot in a heartbeat in a situation like that.

21ST
05-05-2008, 03:49 PM
he needs to get some guns

TheGreatEscape
05-05-2008, 03:56 PM
he was in Illinois dude unless i read it wrong....

outside of philly, i feel like PA is a pretty safe place actually. just don't be wearing brown in the woods during deer season....about the closest most people here will come to being shot, lol

www.youtube.com/watch?v=esl2NNOtHQE

StripedWalrus
05-05-2008, 04:00 PM
No not huge news, not even surprising..... he's lucky he didn't get killed though. Really. Darrent Williams fans will attest to that..... Rashard could have easily been shot in a heartbeat in a situation like that.

I suppose if the person knew who he was....and expected him to have more money than he did, he could have been in serious trouble. I don't see why he would be walking around at 2 A.M. in a bad neighborhood anyway...is that where he resides?

Wootylicous
05-05-2008, 04:01 PM
He should hang out with Cromartie's mom.

Geo
05-05-2008, 04:24 PM
That sucks to hear.

I'm not going to place blame on him for being in a bad time/place, but certainly it lead to the result.

StripedWalrus
05-05-2008, 04:26 PM
He should hang out with Cromartie's mom.

She will get a contract with Campbell's Soup. She will start doing those Chunky Soup commercials. Because no one will mess with her!

neko4
05-05-2008, 04:28 PM
We dont really need another Sean Taylor situation. To many deaths of young men this past year. What was he doing up at 2 AM just walking around?

StripedWalrus
05-05-2008, 04:33 PM
I am certain the only reason he was up that late walking around in Chicago because he was on a quest for a shrubbery.

LonghornsLegend
05-05-2008, 04:46 PM
This is just going to let him know he's a target now, and he can't do the same things he could do when he was at Illinois, like walking around at 2 in the morning when everyone knows your a millionaire now, you just can't think its ok to do that anymore...It only takes one, jealous person who's pissed that you made it, so their gonna assume you have some money or jewelery on them, and certainly we already know these situations can go from not major to serious really quick.

TheGreatEscape
05-05-2008, 05:37 PM
I suppose if the person knew who he was....and expected him to have more money than he did, he could have been in serious trouble. I don't see why he would be walking around at 2 A.M. in a bad neighborhood anyway...is that where he resides?

Depending where on the southside he was it's not that bad of a neighborhood anymore. I work for some guys based in Chicago who work with U of C.

thefalconer
05-05-2008, 07:02 PM
shiiiit, if i was a mugger i'd be scared to rob mendenhall. gun or not, hes huge! muscles on top of muscle on top of muscle.

DragonFireKai
05-05-2008, 07:04 PM
We dont really need another Sean Taylor situation. To many deaths of young men this past year. What was he doing up at 2 AM just walking around?

Taylor got shot at his house.

Hwoarang
05-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Mendenhall is stupid for walking on the street at 2 in the morning.

StripedWalrus
05-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Depending where on the southside he was it's not that bad of a neighborhood anymore. I work for some guys based in Chicago who work with U of C.

Im not too familiar with Chicago...I have never been there. I am just going on what every is saying in this thread =)

I imagine though that mendenhall decided he was big enough to walk around the streets at 2 a.m. and that he could face anything. Apparently not. He did the right thing though and handed over his stuff. Life is worth more than a phone and some money.

Thunder&Lightning
05-05-2008, 07:13 PM
there are assholes out there... High profile guys like this even that are massive like Rishard should always have some type of protection on them whether its a gun or bodyguard...

703SKINS202
05-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Taylor got shot at his house.

during a planned robbery...

DragonFireKai
05-05-2008, 08:33 PM
during a planned robbery...

There's not a whole lot you can do about something like that.

703SKINS202
05-05-2008, 08:44 PM
There's not a whole lot you can do about something like that.

Exactly I was using that in refernce to the point where somebody said he doesnt need to be out around 2 am because now he is a target. Sean Taylor was sleeping at his house and got killed so you never know what might happen to you when you are a professional athlete with a lot of money. He was just saying it would be better to try to take yourself out of bad situations. Losing athletes to violence is tragic, would hate to see something bad happen to Mendenhall or anyone.

sodar21
05-05-2008, 08:48 PM
The Taylor comparison isn't valid. This was probably more random than anything.

703SKINS202
05-05-2008, 08:52 PM
The Taylor comparison isn't valid. This was probably more random than anything.

There really isn't a comparison being made I think Neko and I were just saying Mendenhall didn't do anything wrong but should be more careful because people might come after you now that you're a star. Staying out til 2am on streets that people are saying aren't safe just isn't the smartest thing to do. I was just using ST's death as more of an example.

DragonFireKai
05-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Exactly I was using that in refernce to the point where somebody said he doesnt need to be out around 2 am because now he is a target. Sean Taylor was sleeping at his house and got killed so you never know what might happen to you when you are a professional athlete with a lot of money. He was just saying it would be better to try to take yourself out of bad situations. Losing athletes to violence is tragic, would hate to see something bad happen to Mendenhall or anyone.

You're far more likely to be targeted at home than out on the streets, simply by reason of predictability. If you're really concerned about being shot, you'd go the Saddam route with body doubles and never staying in the same house twice. Predictability is what makes you vulnerable.

tom
05-05-2008, 09:32 PM
That's what I'm talking about... a real Steeler, he gets robbed at gun point, but he doesn't care because he's a man.. A real football hero...

He'll shoot up the bengals this season, and will break AP running record... He'll run for 399 yards in a single game, 2500 yards in a season...

Oh yeah Rashard "Bringing Home The Bacon" Mendenhall!

StripedWalrus
05-05-2008, 11:11 PM
How you can get man getting mugged = greatest running back ever boggles the mind...

If this is the way it was, I am going to go get mugged right now! Then I can be the next Barry Sanders!

PackerLegend
05-06-2008, 12:34 AM
That sucks but it was partly his fault for walking around at a really bad time. Why would you steal a phone when it can be tracked and will be shut off to prevent you from using it anyways. You start calling people off it and that will all start getting traced back. It was probably a really expensive phone but he much would you get for a stolen phone...idk.

MetSox17
05-06-2008, 12:42 AM
I don't know how many of you all feel around here when it comes to guns, but I don't understand some of the heat these athletes take when they own guns. Tank Johnson had enough weapons to fight North Korea alone, and they were registered to him but in another state, and he goes to jail and everyone chastises him for it. All these guys want to do is protect themselves and their families, and i have no problem with it at all. He should go out and get himself a nice little handgun once he turns 21, to take the life of the jackass that decides to risk taking his.

tom
05-08-2008, 04:50 PM
How you can get man getting mugged = greatest running back ever boggles the mind...

If this is the way it was, I am going to go get mugged right now! Then I can be the next Barry Sanders!

No offense, but I doubt that if you got mugged you'd take it like a man... All I'm saying is that Mendenhall is a real man... Like the steelers, We're real men, and we show pu$$ies the door. We let Faneca walk, we let porter walk, we let wilson walk... Because they don't walk like we do. We walk HARD.

And Mendenhall is going to walk harder than any other RB in this class.

Smith, Keomatu, Hartwig, Simmons, Starks= Best line in the NFL

Stash
05-08-2008, 09:24 PM
No offense, but I doubt that if you got mugged you'd take it like a man... All I'm saying is that Mendenhall is a real man... Like the steelers, We're real men, and we show pu$$ies the door. We let Faneca walk, we let porter walk, we let wilson walk... Because they don't walk like we do. We walk HARD.

And Mendenhall is going to walk harder than any other RB in this class.

Smith, Keomatu, Hartwig, Simmons, Starks= Best line in the NFL

Are you serious?? If so, I'll have what you're having.

tom
05-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Are you serious?? If so, I'll have what you're having.

Hey, just because they're under-rated doesn't mean they're not amazing.

Marvel Smith has consistently proven to be one of the best left tackles in the game, Chris Keomatu is a beast, he's a big, powerful blocker that will make everyone forget Alan Faneca. Justin Hartwig is a better centre than martha stewart is home-maker, and the only reason he left carolina was because they can't appreciate greatness. Kendall Simmons is so amazing, he is better than a bag full of bets, and considering we don't usually spend a lot of money on players, the Max Starks transition tag, tells me he is going to be amazing, like bacon.

no love
05-09-2008, 03:11 AM
I found the robber.

http://www.davesez.com/images/Vick.JPG