PDA

View Full Version : Top Smashmouth College Team

grushcow
05-05-2008, 07:51 PM
What team is most notorious for a power running attack, a hard hitting and solid defense?

Don Vito
05-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Alabama has to be up there, they have always played hard nosed football. They have always had great football players, not just great athletes. Ohio State, Boston College (especially pre-Jagzodinski), and Auburn are other hard nosed programs. The Iron Bowl is the best football game in my opinion, Alabam and Auburn play such tough football and when in state SEC rivals go at it, it makes for a great game. They both play very tough football.

SenorGato
05-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Traditionally?

Most/all SEC teams.

Most of the bigger named schools...Ohio State...Michigan...Miami...Penn. State...

BeerBaron
05-05-2008, 08:04 PM
a lot of the more tradition big ten teams fit that description well id say.

703SKINS202
05-05-2008, 08:08 PM
i think this would make more sense in the college football forum

SMoore
05-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Ohio State IMO
Those are where the roots are and with Beanie they're back to that style.
And they always have a really tough defense.

sodar21
05-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Most of the traditional powers have this sort of rep.

BamaFalcon59
05-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Wisconsin comes to mind first.

princefielder28
05-05-2008, 08:29 PM

Thank you...I was going to post that but didn't want to sound homerish

duckseason
05-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Not so much anymore, but Nebraska used to fit that description as well as anybody. Just thought I'd mention them since nobody else had yet.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-05-2008, 08:33 PM
By no means can they be considered the best, but Navy is a true smashmouth football team.

regoob2
05-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Wisconsin comes to mind first.That's the first team I thought of also.

foozball
05-05-2008, 08:40 PM
how aboot georgia?

GB12
05-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Thank you...I was going to post that but didn't want to sound homerish
It's not homerish if it's true.

703SKINS202
05-05-2008, 08:54 PM
I agree most with Wisconsin and Georgia. Those are two prime examples of a smash mouth running game with a similar smash mouth defense. Can you say, Greg Blue?

BamaFalcon59
05-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Virginia Tech. might not be the most smashmouth, but they are up there. Always have been a running team, predicated on amazing defense and special teams.

They are my favorite team, but there was some truth in that statement.

AllanO444
05-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Tennessee used to be like that every year. Now they pass more and thier D isn't as strong...

DragonFireKai
05-05-2008, 09:20 PM
The Oregon Schools have fit the bill as of late. Although UO is more notorious for their heinous uniforms and OSU hasn't really attracted any attention.

underscore
05-05-2008, 09:30 PM
I'd say Big Ten/Big 12.

SEC, all you hear about is Southern Speed.

TitanHope
05-05-2008, 09:30 PM
I agree most with Wisconsin and Georgia. Those are two prime examples of a smash mouth running game with a similar smash mouth defense. Can you say, Greg Blue?

Then I have to say Tennessee would be up there too. After they whooped Georgia two years in a row and over-powered Wisconsin in the Outback Bowl with their physicality on DEF, despite missing key players like Rico McCoy and Demonte Bolden. Power I formations, and pounding the football on offense. On defense, have linebackers with safety speed that can rock an opponent, and blitz on third down. Chavis loves his LB's.

But, that will soon change with the new OC. It'll be spread formations on offense, though Fulmer will always prefer to power-run. Defense will be the same. The new, "sexier" offense lowers the status though.

art vandelay
05-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Wisconsin was my first thought. This also causes them to have those typical height/weight/speed prospects at WR who haven't produced (Jonathan Orr, Paul Hubbard, etc.).

sodar21
05-05-2008, 10:36 PM
Wisconsin was my first thought. This also causes them to have those typical height/weight/speed prospects at WR who haven't produced (Jonathan Orr, Paul Hubbard, etc.).

Orr was fairly productive. His teammate Brandon Williams (I believe that was the name) also produced quite a bit at Wisconsin.

And then theres the twin headed monster of Chris Chambers and Lee Evans who you somehow managed to gloss over.

Don Vito
05-05-2008, 10:44 PM
If I have to go with a conference, I'm going with the SEC followed by the Big Ten. Teams like Bama, Auburn, Georgia, and even LSU always have tough guys all over the field. All of these teams besides maybe LSU are smash mouth run first teams and they all have tough defenses year in and year out. SEC teams do have some great athletes, but there are a bunch of players each year on SEC teams who are just flat out football players who may lack top notch measurables but still make it in college and/or the NFL.

Komp
05-05-2008, 11:05 PM
It most definitely used to be Nebraska in the 90's. They just beat people up.

One of the more smashmouth performances I saw last year was Pitt @ West Virginia. Pitt just mauled WV, especially with their running game. I know Pat White was out for part of that game, but the way Pitt ran the ball right at WV had very little to do with Pat White not being there.

I would not be surprised USC to turn into a more physical team this year with some question marks at WR and QB entering the season. Lord knows their OL and Defense would beat down most of the Pac 10.

ThePudge
05-05-2008, 11:07 PM
I'd have to say, historically and presently, Ohio State. Eddie George, Maurice Clarett, Beanie Wells are some of the bigger recent names at RB. Always size up front for the Bucks. Always tough on defense up front.

Wisconsin had some undersized runners in Michael Bennett and Anthony Davis very recently, but during the Ron Dayne era no one played smashmouth football quite like the Badgers.

Could also go with Nebraska's older teams, Texas with Ricky/Benson, Alabama in the past, Michigan until now. There are plenty.

YAYareaRB
05-06-2008, 12:53 AM
Another some may not know about is Cal.. Past couple years have produced some bad ass college RBs in Aarington and Lynch, Lynch being the only one who produced at the next level. There's no drop off this year with Jahvid Best assuming the starting role. Keep his name in mind while he torches the nation next season. Forsett wasn't that bad either.

Thunder&Lightning
05-06-2008, 06:45 AM

would have to agree

YAYareaRB
05-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Auburn too.. Somehow they just keep producing strong smashmouth football.

Wisconsin always comes through with good college RBs.

Yatta!
05-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Auburn was my first thought but I agree with the people saying Wisconsin as well and a couple of other Big Ten teams.

It's worrying that not only is the SEC the fastest conference, now people are campaigning for it to be the strongest as well...

kwilk103
05-06-2008, 10:29 AM

hahaha

he ran his mouth all week then slaton ran right by him the whole game in the sugar bowl

for a spread team, wvu is physical

keylime_5
05-06-2008, 10:34 AM
most sec teams have smallish front sevens that rely more on quickness than shear power. LOL at auburn being called smashmouth, they are a finesse/speed oriented defense that got shredded in the cap1 bowl against Wisconsin who is the epitome of smashmouth football. That's why wisconsin usually wins their bowl games against sec opponents like auburn and wisky b/c of their power vs quickness and size advantage- usually but not always of course.

703SKINS202
05-06-2008, 11:42 AM
hahaha

he ran his mouth all week then slaton ran right by him the whole game in the sugar bowl

haha yea but i was more referring to this, the greatest tackle in history (sidewalk slam)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WJe86_y2Ps

CC.SD
05-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Georgia was definitely the first team that came to mind.

BamaFalcon59
05-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Auburn's trend of top runningbacks is probably over. The spread offense will hurt them a bit, and top runningbacks, such as one this past year, might steer away from them.

Ozzy
05-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Smashmouth, how I miss those days, almost every team is going to this freaking spread offense, fake option or draw. I remember when one of the first teams I saw using that was Northwestern and I HATED them for it! It made Damien Anderson look like some great RB and made their QB's look good too. However in terms of making good professional players it does more harm than good because no NFL teams run that system of offense. However it does get wins, quick wins so teams do it.

As for smashmouth football that is hard to say, cannot just list teams with good running games, have to list teams that have consistently a tough defense and consistently tough hard RB's.

It does change often though because coaches change systems to what players they have so they can have their most success. If I had to make a list though here is that list.

Current top teams with a tough running game and defense consistently
*USC- plan and simple, great defense, great RB's, consistently effective with basic plans...I LOVE it!
*Ohio State- just like USC, consistently deep RB's and great tough defense
*LSU- sure they got great WR's but their OL is outstanding and always have amazingly tough defensive play and deep RB's
*Wisconsin- pretty consistent and have great OL all the time.
*Oklahoma- they are set on having good OL's and talented RB's
*Maryland-seem to always have tough physical RB's, good OL play and talented hard hitting defenses.
*VT Tech- basic football, just really need more talented RB's there but usually is the same formula for success.
*Fresno State- do not always have the talent or the RB's but always play tough and physical football in the running game and on D.

Smashmouth of the future:
*Rutgers- will see if they do the same with Rice gone, hopefully they do and continue to be a upstart power team.
*Michigan State- if you watched them last year they are a joy to see run the ball and play D.
*Mississippi- Nutt, plan and simple loved his teams at Arkansas but will he get that type of player consistently and still run the ball like he did before.
* UCONN- play very basic but tough football, once they get more stars watch out.

yourfavestoner
05-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Most of the traditional powers have this sort of rep.

That's because the traditional powers generally have first pickings of the best offensive and defensive linemen. There are only so many big, athletic people on the planet.

Sniper
05-08-2008, 01:17 AM
Wisconsin always, always, ALWAYS has some big badass mofos on the OL and a good ground game. Ohio State comes to mind, as does the old Michigan. Basically most Big 10 teams.

Sniper
05-08-2008, 01:18 AM
hahaha

Um what? Maybe Schmitt, but that's about it.

YAYareaRB
05-09-2008, 09:33 AM
*Fresno State- do not always have the talent or the RB's but always play tough and physical football in the running game and on D.

Really? Don't they run a pass heavy spread?

TigerBait45
05-09-2008, 06:36 PM
LSU seemed to be moving toward a true spread with Perilloux under center, but we're going smashmouth next year now that Lee or Hatch are the starter, I guarantee it. Miles loves to put it between the tackles.

LSU has always been a run-first team though..most SEC schools could be listed here, I guess.

GB12
05-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Ok, just because it's not a spread doesn't make it smash mouth

polishrocket35
05-16-2008, 08:15 PM
what about navy?

Michigan
05-16-2008, 08:23 PM
All of the traditional powers are very physically imposing. An o-line full of 4 and 5 star 6'6 320 players is simply harder on the body than an o-line full of lightly recruited 6'3 285 players.

Besides the tradional powers, other smash-mouth teams that come to mind are Wisconsin, UConn, Oregon State, and Minnesota.

BigJohn98
05-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Florida State used to be. Anyone, anywhere.

keylime_5
05-16-2008, 09:59 PM
That's because the traditional powers generally have first pickings of the best offensive and defensive linemen. There are only so many big, athletic people on the planet.

nah, it's because back in the old days the game of college football was run-oriented and if you could run it on anyone and stop the run then you could win against anyone.