PDA

View Full Version : McGinest set to retire after season

keylime_5
05-06-2008, 10:10 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/arash_markazi/05/06/willie.mcginest/index.html?eref=si_topstories

No surprise, but Willie's last season is this one in Cleveland.

vidae
05-06-2008, 11:08 PM
I like him and always have. A lot of big name players retiring lately. :(

CC.SD
05-07-2008, 02:22 AM
Sad, but it's time. Never could bring myself to hate the "other" potential hall of fame 55 Trojan.

Spygate...does it effect the chances of getting into Canton for guys like Willie, Ty Law, Seymour, Rodney? These are their star defensive guys who potentially allegedly got a glimpse of the opposing offense's panties.

I'm not saying all those guys are HOFers. I think at least one, maybe two though. They might give Rodney or Willie a gift, and Seymour's still building his resume.

Thunder&Lightning
05-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Sad, but it's time. Never could bring myself to hate the "other" potential hall of fame 55 Trojan.

Spygate...does it effect the chances of getting into Canton for guys like Willie, Ty Law, Seymour, Rodney? These are their star defensive guys who potentially allegedly got a glimpse of the opposing offense's panties.

I'm not saying all those guys are HOFers. I think at least one, maybe two though. They might give Rodney or Willie a gift, and Seymour's still building his resume.

No way that will effect their chances. Even if it were to effect anyones chances it would effect Bill Belichicks... Not the players. I doubt it will be proven that this happened in the past players like Willie and Law who are not on the team now should not be critisized for this.

vidae
05-07-2008, 12:20 PM
I don't think it will, but we'll have to wait and see how they're judged when the time comes.

SaintsFanForLife
05-07-2008, 12:31 PM
I dont think so but we will see in 5 years.

no love
05-07-2008, 01:03 PM

I don't think this effects their way into Canton anymore than that steroids test will effect the guy in your sig. By the time it comes time to vote, the sins of their coach will not be viewed nearly as strongly as what they did on the field.

Michael Irvin for all of his off the field indiscretions was a first ballot HOFer. If he with all of the issues that he had can get in by merit of his play, than so will these guys.

Also, as a pet peeve of mine. There are no "gifts" to the HOF, those guys that get in deserve it.

The Legend
05-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Great Person/Player hope he has his best season ever

CC.SD
05-07-2008, 02:32 PM
I don't think this effects their way into Canton anymore than that steroids test will effect the guy in your sig. By the time it comes time to vote, the sins of their coach will not be viewed nearly as strongly as what they did on the field.

Michael Irvin for all of his off the field indiscretions was a first ballot HOFer. If he with all of the issues that he had can get in by merit of his play, than so will these guys.

Also, as a pet peeve of mine. There are no "gifts" to the HOF, those guys that get in deserve it.

You have three little paragraphs, and they all have a decent amount of wrong in them.

1. I do think people will remember the roids test when it comes Merriman's time. Way to take a random OT shot at a Charger; I raised the point as a legitimate question.

2. Irvin was NOT a first ballot hall of famer. Oops.

3. You're being naive if you don't think some guys make the Hall despite not deserving it. The ultimate example is Lynn Swann, but you still have guys like Gale Sayers who just don't have the numbers/greatness/longevity to back up the fact that they're in Canton. Hell, they let Madden in because of his video game!

LonghornsLegend
05-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Hell, they let Madden in because of his video game!

Yea, I mean its not like he was a great HC or anything like that...His overall winning pct is still tops I believe and he never had a losing season...Just because you only remember him from the video game doesn't mean thats why he was put in the HOF.

CC.SD
05-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Yea, I mean its not like he was a great HC or anything like that...His overall winning pct is still tops I believe and he never had a losing season...Just because you only remember him from the video game doesn't mean thats why he was put in the HOF.

Ten years as a head coach just isn't enough to make the hall of fame if you ask me. It's not the hall of great careers, which he obviously had. The number of PLAYERS who didn't play ten years but still made the hall of fame has to be painfully low, let alone coaches. This is definitely not the thread for it.

Don't make assumptions about what I've seen or remember. I recall distinctly watching his teams underachieve year after year after year before finally breaking through.

LonghornsLegend
05-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Your really underestimating HOF voters if you feel like they voted Madden in for a video game, you know they don't vote on the HOF like the pro bowl right? Guys who voted him in could care less about his impact on a video game, look at his rap sheet as a HC, and add to the fact that he is one of the most famous nfl broadcasters of our time and will be remembered just the same for that...I didn't make any assumptions about what you saw or remember, but its just plain ignorant to assume he is in the HOF due to a video game:rolleyes:

badgerbacker
05-10-2008, 09:49 PM
He's obviously had a great player, but I don't understand how somebody can say they are going to retire after the upcoming season. If he's to the point where he doesn't think he can take another season, he should retire now. But, I don't understand how somebody can say that they have the desire to play football, but that desire won't be there after the season is over.

DragonFireKai
05-10-2008, 10:17 PM
He's obviously had a great player, but I don't understand how somebody can say they are going to retire after the upcoming season. If he's to the point where he doesn't think he can take another season, he should retire now. But, I don't understand how somebody can say that they have the desire to play football, but that desire won't be there after the season is over.

Think of it as him giving his two weeks notice.

yourfavestoner
05-10-2008, 11:37 PM

Have you ever played football?

DonWoods33
05-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Ten years as a head coach just isn't enough to make the hall of fame if you ask me. It's not the hall of great careers, which he obviously had. The number of PLAYERS who didn't play ten years but still made the hall of fame has to be painfully low, let alone coaches. This is definitely not the thread for it.

Don't make assumptions about what I've seen or remember. I recall distinctly watching his teams underachieve year after year after year before finally breaking through.

Yeah I am sure he remembers all about a guy, that left coaching nearly ten years before his birth. He's an expert on Q as well from reading his other posts, since he saw him playing in HS as a 13 yo too. That being said I wonder if Madden would have survived with the new Al Davis? I think that loss in the 74 AFC Championship game at home, as a favorite, might have greased his exit, considering how Al now views the game.

LonghornsLegend
05-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Yeah I am sure he remembers all about a guy, that left coaching nearly ten years before his birth.

So unless your the same age as Madden, thats the only way you can form an opinion on him? Good stuff.

DonWoods33
05-11-2008, 12:16 PM
So unless your the same age as Madden, thats the only way you can form an opinion on him? Good stuff.

Let me ask you this: Do you consider Tony Dungy a Hall of Fame coach?

LonghornsLegend
05-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Let me ask you this: Do you consider Tony Dungy a Hall of Fame coach?

Yes, his career has some highlights all the way through it:
Defensive Coordinator of the Vikings in 1992 which was ranked #1 overall.

He is known for starting the Tampa 2 defense with Monte Kiffin, and although that team didn't win a superbowl under him, the team that did with Gruden was Dungy's team.

He installed the Tampa 2 at Indy and turned their defense around.

First African American head coach to win a super bowl.

First NFL coach to defeat all 32 teams.

He also has a long line of asst coaches who worked underneath him that went on to better jobs:

Herm Edwards
Lovie Smith
Rod Marinelli
Mike Tomlin

All guys who came through Tampa Bay...So I would say yes he is a HOF coach, with that being said, I never said or acted like John Madden was the goat of anything, but its silly to assume that the HOF board would vote him in because of a video game, why should I believe voters like Michael Wilboln and Peter King would give a HOF vote due to a video game market? It would be different if HOF voting was done open poll on the internet.

Madden's commentary was also a huge reason for him being voted in, that along with his coaches...It has zero to do with a video game that hall of fame voters could care less about, and most have probably never played.

badgerbacker
05-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Have you ever played football?Yes, I played football from 4th grade through high school and I loved playing. I would play as long as I possibly could. That's why I can't see how anybody could say "Yes, I love playing football now, but I won't after the season is over." I just can't see how a decision can be made until the moment comes. I suppose maybe that's just me though. If he knows how he will feel after this season, all the power to him and congratulations on a great career.

LonghornsLegend
05-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Yes, I played football from 4th grade through high school and I loved playing. I would play as long as I possibly could. That's why I can't see how anybody could say "Yes, I love playing football now, but I won't after the season is over." I just can't see how a decision can be made until the moment comes. I suppose maybe that's just me though. If he knows how he will feel after this season, all the power to him and congratulations on a great career.

Well, its not like McGinest is 24 yrs old man, he's 36 years old, at that point you know your body can only hold up so much longer, once a guy hits 33 or 34 years old, they know how many years they have left in the tank, its completely different for a young guy with years ahead of him.

badgerbacker
05-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Well, its not like McGinest is 24 yrs old man, he's 36 years old, at that point you know your body can only hold up so much longer, once a guy hits 33 or 34 years old, they know how many years they have left in the tank, its completely different for a young guy with years ahead of him.I understand that too, but I guess I think of that as a day by day thing as well. Nobody can predict how well their body will hold up after an entire season. It seems like the decision would come at the end of a season when you would think to yourself, "My body can't handle doing that again," rather than "I'm not going to be able to handle anymore once this next season is over." That seems easier in my mind, I guess. I seem to be on my own on this one though, so I'll assume I'm wrong and that since he knows his mind and body better than anyone else, I congratulate him on knowing when the right time is for him.

DragonFireKai
05-11-2008, 03:11 PM
I understand that too, but I guess I think of that as a day by day thing as well. Nobody can predict how well their body will hold up after an entire season. It seems like the decision would come at the end of a season when you would think to yourself, "My body can't handle doing that again," rather than "I'm not going to be able to handle anymore once this next season is over." That seems easier in my mind, I guess. I seem to be on my own on this one though, so I'll assume I'm wrong and that since he knows his mind and body better than anyone else, I congratulate him on knowing when the right time is for him.

Would you rather he just retire out of the blue like Barry Sanders? Or do the eternal flip flop like Favre? I think this is the best way to do it. It gives the team time to make their plans for his replacement.

And a lot of factors go into when they make the decision. Financial factors, love of the game, physical ability. Hell, McGinest might not be able to take a full season, but he just wants a victory lap. We don't know, but it's not our place to question them.

DonWoods33
05-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Yes, his career has some highlights all the way through it:
Defensive Coordinator of the Vikings in 1992 which was ranked #1 overall.

He is known for starting the Tampa 2 defense with Monte Kiffin, and although that team didn't win a superbowl under him, the team that did with Gruden was Dungy's team.

He installed the Tampa 2 at Indy and turned their defense around.

First African American head coach to win a super bowl.

First NFL coach to defeat all 32 teams.

He also has a long line of asst coaches who worked underneath him that went on to better jobs:

Herm Edwards
Lovie Smith
Rod Marinelli
Mike Tomlin

All guys who came through Tampa Bay...So I would say yes he is a HOF coach, with that being said, I never said or acted like John Madden was the goat of anything, but its silly to assume that the HOF board would vote him in because of a video game, why should I believe voters like Michael Wilboln and Peter King would give a HOF vote due to a video game market? It would be different if HOF voting was done open poll on the internet.

Madden's commentary was also a huge reason for him being voted in, that along with his coaches...It has zero to do with a video game that hall of fame voters could care less about, and most have probably never played.

Well you hit it there. I don't think he gets in without being the top color guy for 25 plus years. His career is somewhat like Bill Cowhers and Dungy's as well , but Tony as you so eloquently pointed out has some different intangilbles. I am not sure if Cowher will get in but if Madden does he should.

LonghornsLegend
05-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Would you rather he just retire out of the blue like Barry Sanders? Or do the eternal flip flop like Favre? I think this is the best way to do it. It gives the team time to make their plans for his replacement.

And a lot of factors go into when they make the decision. Financial factors, love of the game, physical ability. Hell, McGinest might not be able to take a full season, but he just wants a victory lap. We don't know, but it's not our place to question them.

That's what I was going to say, if a guy gives a year notice you can't knock that, team knows they need his replacement and can look forward to him not being on the roster, versus one of the guys you listed, or the countless others who are deciding up until the pre-season is starting where a team can be left out high and dry...Besides once your 36 yrs old, most are expecting you to call it quits every year that goes past, unless your made of iron like Ted Washington who is still overpowering O lineman at 40.