PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent class of 2009

Scotty D
05-07-2008, 08:20 PM
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story;jsessionid=0B1A4958E0D259F2A51255B3F5DF463C? id=09000d5d80835368&template=with-video&confirm=true

Here is a look at arguably the top 10 players poised for free agency this winter.

Stephen Dunn / Getty Images
Julius Peppers could be an attractive free-agent option for many teams.

1. Julius Peppers, Panthers defensive end –- Coming off a down year, but teams pay premium for pass rushers.

2. Steven Jackson, Rams running back –- Hard to imagine St. Louis parting ways with its most popular player.

3. Tommie Harris, Bears defensive tackle -– Talks on a long-term contract hit a standstill last month.

4. Marion Barber, Cowboys running back –- Last season, one NFC coach said Barber is an elite back in the same class as LaDainian Tomlinson or Adrian Peterson. Now he wants to be paid that way.

5. Chris Snee, Giants guard –- At a time when interior offensive linemen are cashing in, the son-in-law of Giants coach Tom Coughlin is going to cash in.

6. Nnamdi Asomugha, Raiders cornerback –- Oakland plans to franchise him again if he remains unsigned, which is a distinct possibility.

7. Albert Haynesworth, Titans defensive tackle –- Tennessee wouldn’t let Haynesworth leave this offseason, and its stance is unlikely to change.

8. Terrell Owens, Cowboys wide receiver -– At the age of 34, T.O. is performing like he were 24.

9. Will Smith, Saints defensive end -– New Orleans defensive end Charles Grant got his money and Smith intends to do the same.

10. T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Bengals wide receiver –- Still waiting for his first big-money deal.

Of course, the list hardly stops there. It goes on and on, like the money that could be spent on some of these players.

The free-agent class of 2009 also is scheduled to include Lions wide receiver Roy Williams, Bills wide receiver Lee Evans, Giants running back Brandon Jacobs, Cowboys cornerback Terence Newman, Cowboys safety Ken Hamlin, Falcons linebacker Keith Brooking, Texans cornerback Dunta Robinson, Cardinals linebacker Karlos Dansby, Buccaneers quarterback Jeff Garcia and Giants wide receiver Amani Toomer.

Next year's class dominates this years. Even with the franchise tag, we will see great players hit the market.

Caddy
05-07-2008, 08:23 PM
It certainly looks as if it could be a great class. But I think the majority of those players either get extended or franchised long before anybody has a chance to talk a deal with them. Heres to hoping the Fat Albert and Tommie Harris don't get offers and get snapped up by the Bucs.

PACKmanN
05-07-2008, 08:28 PM
1. Julius Peppers, Panthers defensive end –- I doubt he leaves, they are building that defense around him.

2. Steven Jackson, Rams running back –- Doubt it, look for him to be the highest paid running back.

3. Tommie Harris, Bears defensive tackle -– If he leaves, the d-line will have a huge hole in the d-line. Won't leave.

4. Marion Barber, Cowboys running back -- Will get his money, they won't allow him to walk out of Dallas.

5. Chris Snee, Giants guard –- A player who I could see leaving, but a big market like the Giants will pay him every cent.

6. Nnamdi Asomugha, Raiders cornerback –- He out of Oakland for sure, I can't see him staying. I wouldn't mind seeing him in Green Bay IF Al Harris or Charles Woodson retire.

7. Albert Haynesworth, Titans defensive tackle –- Will stay, see Peppers and Harris.

8. Terrell Owens, Cowboys wide receiver -– Depends if they win a Superbowl or not, if they do I think he thinks of retiring, if not I see him resigning.

9. Will Smith, Saints defensive end -– Could the Saints afford him? they paying Grant big money and would have to play Eillis top 10 money. They also have to sign Vilma, I think.

10. T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Bengals wide receiver –- He not going anywhere, he there #1 target if Chad leaves.

The only ones I can see leaving are Aso, Snee, and Smith.

eaglesfan_45
05-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Terell Suggs is going to be a FA isn't he?

Scotty D
05-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Just looking at teams with multiple big name free agents. The Cowboys have Marion Barber, TO, Ken Hamlin, and Terrance Newman are on this list.

PackerLegend
05-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Its a great list of players but teams usually arent going to let their top players get away. Unfortunately most will see the tag or get resigned before other teams can get a sniff. So we wont get to see all that many if any top notch players switch teams.

regoob2
05-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Terell Suggs is going to be a FA isn't he?ya I dont think he'll resign.

Geo
05-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Colts 09 UFAs
1. CB Kelvin Hayden
2. C Jeff Saturday
3. LB Tyjuan Hagler
S Matt Giordano
DE Josh Thomas
RB Dominic Rhodes

Geo
05-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Just looking at teams with multiple big name free agents. The Cowboys have Marion Barber, TO, Ken Hamlin, and Terrance Newman are on this list.
That's a lot. They can let Barber walk though, having drafted Tashard Choice and Felix Jones, he's now expendable. TO is too old to re-sign, perhaps.

Newman and Hamlin though, they aren't young, but are the best players in the secondary. Although the way the league is today, you wonder how much money you're willing to invest in the secondary.

It will be interesting to see how it works out. They already signed Flozell Adams long-term.

PACKmanN
05-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Colts 09 UFAs
1. CB Kelvin Hayden
2. C Jeff Saturday
3. LB Tyjuan Hagler
S Matt Giordano
DE Josh Thomas
RB Dominic Rhodes

I would get Hayden to sign and let the others walk. Saturday is getting too old and would cost too much to keep, plus the Colts have been amazing in developing linemen.

princefielder28
05-07-2008, 09:12 PM
I like that the Packers have so much cap space, but I can guarantee they won't go after any of em

Geo
05-07-2008, 09:13 PM
I'd like to keep Hayden, but I'd rather sign Marlin Jackson who is a FA after 09, that guy can do everything at corner and safety, at a Pro Bowl level. Free safety Antoine Bethea is also a FA after 09, I think I'd want to re-sign him over Hayden as well, given that the Colts have Dante Hughes and Michael Coe waiting in the wings.

So it's unlikely all three guys could be re-signed, especially when a young guy like Hayden in his prime will get paid on the open market by teams wanting a young corner - especially teams with the same defense like Tampa Bay and Detroit.

neko4
05-07-2008, 09:13 PM
I like that the Packers have so much cap space, but I can guarantee they won't go after any of em
If tommie harris hits the market i hope we get him just so Chicago wont get him

Geo
05-07-2008, 09:15 PM
The Bears will franchise Tommie Harris if they have to, I would imagine.

neko4
The Bears will franchise Tommie Harris if they have to, I would imagine.
yeah, does anyone know when lance briggs is a FA again?

d34ng3l021
Michael Boley is also a FA next year if we dont work out something long term. We have him signed to a tender of 2 million for a year right now. Hopefully we get something long term for him.

Geo
05-07-2008, 09:20 PM
yeah, does anyone know when lance briggs is a FA again?
He signed a 6-year, $36M deal (although it can be 2 yrs/14.9M) this summer, keeping him with the Bears for a long time. Whether that's at WLB or MLB, whatever happens with Urlacher, Briggs can be a Pro Bowl linebacker at either position.

Caddy
05-07-2008, 09:22 PM
I'd like to keep Hayden, but I'd rather sign Marlin Jackson who is a FA after 09, that guy can do everything at corner and safety, at a Pro Bowl level. Free safety Antoine Bethea is also a FA after 09, I think I'd want to re-sign him over Hayden as well, given that the Colts have Dante Hughes and Michael Coe waiting in the wings.

So it's unlikely all three guys could be re-signed, especially when a young guy like Hayden in his prime will get paid on the open market by teams wanting a young corner - especially teams with the same defense like Tampa Bay and Detroit.

I can't see the Buccaneers paying big money for a corner in the offseason after the Draft. With Talib, Wilson and Buchanon all sub 30, the need for a corner has been drastically reduced. If Hayden was an FA this offseason the Buccaneers might have made a move, but I can't see it happening next year in the form of a large contract.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-07-2008, 09:23 PM
6. Nnamdi Asomugha, Raiders cornerback –- He out of Oakland for sure, I can't see him staying. I wouldn't mind seeing him in Green Bay IF Al Harris or Charles Woodson retire.

I don't think he'll have any choice in the matter, to be honest. Oakland made no such guarantee to not franchise him again, and the organization still seeks to give him a proper deal. I'd be shocked if Al Davis lets Nnamdi walk.

Geo
05-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Good point, the selection of Talib may not necessitate that. Although part of my including Tampa was guessing they would have a lot of salary cap space next year like they did this offseason, where they actually had to spend to be above the salary floor.

eaglesfan_45
05-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Eagles FA's-
FS Brian Dawkins
T William Thomas
DE Jerome McDougle
RB Ryan Moats
S Sean Considine
T Jon Runyan
G Scott Young
RB Correll Buckhalter
S J.R. Reed
LB Rocky Boiman
CB Joselio Hanson
TE L.J. Smith

Geo
05-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Huh, I didn't realize both Thomas and Runyan were FAs. They've got Justice being groomed for one of the tackle spots already, though.

PACKmanN
05-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Eagles FA's-
FS Brian Dawkins
T William Thomas
DE Jerome McDougle
RB Ryan Moats
S Sean Considine
T Jon Runyan
G Scott Young
RB Correll Buckhalter
S J.R. Reed
LB Rocky Boiman
CB Joselio Hanson
TE L.J. Smith

WOW, are the Eagles lucky that A) next year draft is stacked with OT and B) they have 2 first round picks.

BeerBaron
05-07-2008, 09:36 PM
no chance the bears let tommie walk. expect a franchise tag there if no long term deal is reached

Matthew Jones
05-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Patriots free agents after this season:

Rodney Harrison
Mike Wright
Jabar Gaffney
James Sanders
Russ Hochstein
Lonie Paxton
Heath Evans
Jason Webster
Chris Hanson
Matt Cassel
Kenny Smith
Eric Alexander
Larry Izzo
Lewis Sanders
Fernando Bryant
Victor Hobson
Tank Williams
Marcus Pollard
Scott Pollard
Stephen Spach
T.J. Slaughter
Wesley Britt

Good god. Harrison, Gaffney, Sanders, Paxton, Evans, Izzo, and Britt contributed last year.

Geo
05-07-2008, 09:50 PM
I was going to save this for my NFL Truths thread, but what the heck:

This is Ray Lewis' last season with the Ravens imo. He's a FA after 08 himself.

regoob2
05-07-2008, 09:53 PM
I would like to see Tommie Harris play a full season before we throw probably 60+ mil at him.

regoob2
05-07-2008, 09:56 PM
That's a lot. They can let Barber walk though, having drafted Tashard Choice and Felix Jones, he's now expendable. TO is too old to re-sign, perhaps.

Newman and Hamlin though, they aren't young, but are the best players in the secondary. Although the way the league is today, you wonder how much money you're willing to invest in the secondary.

It will be interesting to see how it works out. They already signed Flozell Adams long-term.I don't think Barber is expendable at this point in the year seeing how neither of those guys have played a down yet. I think they'll resign him. Barber is a good #1, Jones will be a good #2 and Choice a good #3. I wouldnt prefer Jones as a 1 and choice as a 2.

Crazy_Chris
05-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Wow what a free agent class

4. Marion Barber, Cowboys running back –- Last season, one NFC coach said Barber is an elite back in the same class as LaDainian Tomlinson or Adrian Peterson. Now he wants to be paid that way.

I would be very interested to find out what coach said that. I think it's slightly exagerating but I think Barber is going to be very good I have high expectations for him this year. His performance against the Vikings run defense was the single most impressive performance I watched from any RB that faced the Vikings.

Geo
05-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Steven Jackson will be 25 this July btw. Now he's an elite back imo.

Edit: Just checked, Barber will also be 25 this June.

regoob2
05-07-2008, 10:01 PM
I would love to see one of those RBs in Chicago.

49ersfan_87
05-07-2008, 10:21 PM
49ers whos contract will expire after this season

1. Eric Heitmann, Center
2. Ashley Lelie, WR
3. Bryant Johnson, WR
4. Drew Olson, QB
5. Zak Keasey, FB
6. Damane Duckett, OT
7. Ronald Fields, 3-4 DE/4-3 DT
8. J.T. O'Sullivan, QB
9. Tony Wragge, OG
10. Allen Rossum, KR/PR

Honestly, i wouldnt re-sign any of them. I think they will all be on different teams next year. I cant see any of them getting big deals though.

BeerBaron
05-07-2008, 10:26 PM
I would love to see one of those RBs in Chicago.

<confidence> fortes the man. he'll make those backs look like nothing.......yeah! </confidence>

regoob2
05-07-2008, 10:36 PM
<confidence> fortes the man. he'll make those backs look like nothing.......yeah! </confidence>
<reality> I want one of those backs. :)

BeerBaron
05-07-2008, 10:40 PM
<reality> I want one of those backs. :)

yeah yeah, but for now, im riding the matt forte high im on. come next offseason, if he doesn't show much and one of those guys is available, i might just go with ya...

LonghornsLegend
05-07-2008, 11:02 PM

Also you can add Chris Canty, who we still remain to be talking to about an extension...I believe we are going to sign Hamlin soon, and T-new will be Tagged next year, he might get his deal, but he's already 30, I think he gets tagged next year to handle everyone else's deal, with Roy leaving, it be hard to imagine us letting Hamlin go too and having two holes at safety.

It will be interesting to see how it works out. They already signed Flozell Adams long-term.

Barber is a priority for the team to re-sign, that deal is probably going to be worked out soon, Tashard is insurance if Barber is hurt, but Felix was drafted to be paired with Barber...Newman is the wildcard, and if the best case scenario works out at DB I think he is tagged, then walks at age 32...Some cowboys fans might tell you differently, and we have said we would pay him, but he will be 32 years old, we would also have Pacman who is a #1 guy, if Jenkins pans out would be great as a #2 guy and has potential beyond that, Scandrick with his speed could end up the nickel guy, and thats still a great secondary...Granted that is a best case scenario with everyone, but with the depth now it could easily play out that way, his contract is in the same frame as D-Ware's whose will be huge, Ware is obviously priority with his age at this point.

no love
05-07-2008, 11:24 PM

1. Eric Heitmann, Center
2. Ashley Lelie, WR
3. Bryant Johnson, WR
4. Drew Olson, QB
5. Zak Keasey, FB Resign: Special teams player
6. Damane Duckett, OT Resign: F/O has hopes he will be our next RT
7. Ronald Fields, 3-4 DE/4-3 DT Resign: Inexpensive line depth
8. J.T. O'Sullivan, QB Resign: QB depth that Martz likes
9. Tony Wragge, OG Resign: Played well in Allen's absence last year
10. Allen Rossum, KR/PR

Honestly, i wouldnt re-sign any of them. I think they will all be on different teams next year. I cant see any of them getting big deals though.

I would resign the five guys in italics. Your whole roster can't be made of big name guys. I like to keep our developmental/depth guys bc our coaches know them and they know the scheme.

49ersfan_87
05-07-2008, 11:54 PM
I would resign the five guys in italics. Your whole roster can't be made of big name guys. I like to keep our developmental/depth guys bc our coaches know them and they know the scheme.

I think Wragge and Fields have the best shot of being re-signed. Maybe duckett too.

O'sullivan depends on Martz...if Martz leaves, he goes with him. I dont think Keasey makes the roster this year to be honest.

stukarudel
05-07-2008, 11:57 PM
Dunta Robinson would be welcome to come to Baltimore!

CashmoneyDrew
05-08-2008, 12:10 AM
I would go streaking from my house to Titans headquarters if Lee Evans hit the FA market and we signed him.

CC.SD
05-08-2008, 12:24 AM
Igor Olshansky will sadly be a free agent as well. Hopefully he gets resigned, but with Rivers, Merriman, McNeill, Castillo, Jackson, Gates and Cromartie coming up...

MetSox17
05-08-2008, 12:33 AM
I hope the Chargers can't afford Castillo and he comes to Dallas. :D

The Dynasty
05-08-2008, 12:46 AM
The only viking FA I know of as of right now is Matt Birk. There are probably a couple of others but Birk is a Solid Center and I hope we can extend him this year.

umphrey
05-08-2008, 12:51 AM
I'm interested to see how much Barber gets. How much money do you give to by far the best part time RB in the league?

CC.SD
05-08-2008, 12:55 AM
I hope the Chargers can't afford Castillo and he comes to Dallas. :D

I hope Castillo finally plays a full season, or at least is healthy in the postseason.

MetSox17
05-08-2008, 12:56 AM
I'm interested to see how much Barber gets. How much money do you give to by far the best part time RB in the league?

It all depends how he plays this year. If he plays like he did this past season i don't think you can deny him of near-top level money. He's not always in there, but i think that's an underrated aspect of the way he's used.

People want him to carry the load, and pound the ball 25 times a game, but all that does is kill RB's. I wouldn't mind paying him top money if he can stay as effective as he did last year.. maybe a little more cause there were some games where he disappeared. I do expect him to be here in Dallas for many more years though. I don't think there's a way we let him reach URFAgency.

Crazy_Chris
05-08-2008, 01:06 AM
The only viking FA I know of as of right now is Matt Birk. There are probably a couple of others but Birk is a Solid Center and I hope we can extend him this year.

Darren Sharper will be a free agent too.

Shupp
05-08-2008, 05:15 AM

1. Eric Heitmann, Center
2. Ashley Lelie, WR
3. Bryant Johnson, WR
4. Drew Olson, QB
5. Zak Keasey, FB
6. Damane Duckett, OT
7. Ronald Fields, 3-4 DE/4-3 DT
8. J.T. O'Sullivan, QB
9. Tony Wragge, OG
10. Allen Rossum, KR/PR

We'll have to see what kind of offers Heitman will get but with Baas and Wallace now we'd be ok. Iwould like to see Bryant Johnson and Tony Wragge back but that's about it.

We need to start tampering with Terrel Suggs ASAP! Would love to buy me a #55 9er jersey with his name on the back. Suggs and Lawson as our OLB's with P-Willie in the middle would be a dream.

Yatta!
05-08-2008, 06:20 AM
I think Barber deserves top level money if he performs as expected and he'll get it from the Cowboys, he's their priority FA imo.

GermanSaint
05-08-2008, 07:00 AM
9. Will Smith, Saints defensive end -– Could the Saints afford him? they paying Grant big money and would have to play Eillis top 10 money. They also have to sign Vilma, I think.

and evans and colston ..... when morgan has a nice season , he too.

so there isnt much money left especially when the shockey (*urgs*) trade come true.

regoob2
05-08-2008, 07:52 AM
I would go streaking from my house to Bears headquarters if Lee Evans hit the FA market and we signed him.Fixed that for ya. :D

The Legend
05-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Deep LB Class
Jonathan Vilma
Ray Lewis
Channing Crowder
James Farrior
LeRoy Hill
Mike Peterson
Angelo Crowell
Zach Thomas
Brady Poppinga
Bart Scott
Takeo Spikes

Deep Class DB
Dunta Robinson - CB
Chris Gamble - CB
Kelvin Hayden - CB
Justin Miller - CB/R
Deltha O'Neal - CB
Bryant McFadden - DB
Ron Bartell - S
Brian Dawkins - S
Rodney Harrison - S
Sean Jones - S
Lawyer Milloy - S
Jermaine Phillips - S
George Wilson - S

Other Names
Rick Williams - HB
Roscoe Parrish - WR/R
Shane Lechler - P
Richie Incognito - OL
Duke Preston - OL
Dwan Edwards - DL

LonghornsLegend
05-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Deep Class DB
Dunta Robinson - CB
Chris Gamble - CB
Kelvin Hayden - CB
Justin Miller - CB/R
Deltha O'Neal - CB
Bryant McFadden - DB
Ron Bartell - S
Brian Dawkins - S
Rodney Harrison - S
Sean Jones - S
Lawyer Milloy - S
Jermaine Phillips - S
George Wilson - S

You forgot to add Terrance Newman to the list, granted he will at worst case be tagged, but his contract is up none the less.

no love
05-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Message to any of the following players:
Kyle Boller
Terrell Suggs
Ray Lewis
Bart Scott
Dwan Edwards
and Corey Ivy.

"There is a home for you in San Francisco." - Mike Nolan

Geo
05-08-2008, 06:35 PM
The Bills signed Roscoe to an extension last season, didn't they? I'm pretty sure they did.

Hines
05-08-2008, 06:45 PM
The only free agents I know of for the Steelers are Max Starks, Marvel Smith, Bryant McFadden, Nate Washington, and I think Chris Kemoeatu. But Washington and Kemo were RFA this past year so I dont know if they will be regular FA this year.

neko4
05-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Message to any of the following players:
Kyle Boller
Terrell Suggs
Ray Lewis
Bart Scott
Dwan Edwards
and Corey Ivy.

"There is a home for you in San Francisco." - Mike Nolan
Can you imagine Willis and Lewis on the same team?

The Legend
05-08-2008, 08:38 PM
You forgot to add Terrance Newman to the list, granted he will at worst case be tagged, but his contract is up none the less.

i didnt add him and Nnamdi Asomugha thinking there was no chance they could hit free agency

SuperMcGee
05-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Duke Preston - OL

Ha, The Duke is terrible

The Bills signed Roscoe to an extension last season, didn't they? I'm pretty sure they did.

ayup yup yup

no love
05-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Can you imagine Willis and Lewis on the same team?

Only if they were being coached by Mike Singletary!